PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Sign Dumervil!!!!! -- 5 year extension $58 million w/ $43 guaranteed

Zweems56
07-22-2010, 10:52 PM
@denverbroncos
the broncos have agreed to terms with lb elvis dumervil on a contract extension. Details shortly at denverbroncos.com #fb

holy****ing shit>

EDIT: Contract details in

Per Florio PFT (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/23/six-year-615-million-for-dumervil/):

The early numbers on the Elvis Dumervil deal have begun to trickle out.

Per a league source with knowledge of the situation, Dumervil's new contract from the Broncos has a base value of $61.5 million over six years.

The deal carries $58.332 million in new money, and an injury guarantee of $43.168 million. Skill guarantees apply in 2011 ($28 million) and 2012 ($12 million).

The compensation for 2009 remains the same, with Dumervil getting $3.168 million. Dumervil's base salary was dropped to the minimum, with the balance paid as a signing bonus.

On the first day of the next league year, whenever it may start, $14 million in base salary becomes guaranteed for skill. At about that time, $6 million of it will be paid out as an advance.

Also in 2011, $14 million in base salary for 2012 becomes guaranteed. In early 2012, $13.3 million of it will be paid as an advance in March of that year.

In 2012, $12 million in base salary for 2013 becomes guaranteed.

The remaining base salaries are $10 million in 2014 and $9 million in 2015.

So much for teams not doing long-term deals worth big money. Then again, the fact that one team did a long-term deal for big money doesn't mean that the rest of them aren't colluding.

Then again, the Broncos arguably had no choice but to pay Dumervil, given the manner in which the team has handled quarterback Jay Cutler and receiver Brandon Marshall.

girler
07-22-2010, 10:55 PM
holy****ing shit>

:laugh: I don't think Aaron Rogers is doing that celebration dance at this news... But I am!!! Its about time!!! :salute:

BroncoBJ
07-22-2010, 10:57 PM
Yea just heard the news on facebook as well. Was gonna post but didn't want people to bash me for not having a source or anything. :lol:

But great news, cant wait to see the details. :elefant:

Tned
07-22-2010, 10:59 PM
Very good news!

honz
07-22-2010, 11:00 PM
I never had any doubt that they would work something out. Glad they got it done before training camp though.

Bosco
07-22-2010, 11:01 PM
http://www.indenvertimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/nfl_u_mcdaniels_600-585x390.jpg

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/1026/nfl_g_mcdaniels_576.jpg

http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Dallas+Cowboys+v+Denver+Broncos+BI6PlEIK5Aul.jpg

http://nesnstg.typepad.com/.a/6a0115709f071f970b0120a63169ea970c-400wi

BroncoWave
07-22-2010, 11:07 PM
And the notions of the McD haters continue to be shattered! Great to have Dumervil extended!

Tned
07-22-2010, 11:10 PM
Per Lindsay Jones tweet:

ESPN's John Clayton reporting Elvis' contract is a 5-year extension totaling 6 years, $61.5 million, w/ $43 million guarantee.

gnomeflinger
07-22-2010, 11:11 PM
'bout damn time! :salute:

Tned
07-22-2010, 11:12 PM
Guess that ends all the "one trick pony that isn't worth top 5 OLB money" talk.

honz
07-22-2010, 11:12 PM
http://nguyenhai.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/rafael_nadal03.jpg

Bosco
07-22-2010, 11:18 PM
Dude got paid.

Tned
07-22-2010, 11:19 PM
Doing the math, since his tender was $3.2 or so (and not guaranteed), that means the five year extension was 5 years $58.3 with $43 million guaranteed. It will be interesting to see the year by year breakdown and how much signing bonus he gets.

honz
07-22-2010, 11:21 PM
Doing the math, since his tender was $3.2 or so (and not guaranteed), that means the five year extension was 5 years $58.3 with $43 million guaranteed. It will be interesting to see the year by year breakdown and how much signing bonus he gets.
Can't they structure the extension in a way that gives his salary a boost this year and spreads the money out evenly throughout the contract?

Tned
07-22-2010, 11:24 PM
Can't they structure the extension in a way that gives his salary a boost this year and spreads the money out evenly throughout the contract?

In a sense, because he will likely get a big chunk of signing bonus this year. I'm real curious to see what his signing bonus/upfront money is.

CoachChaz
07-22-2010, 11:27 PM
If he doesn't post 15 plus sacks and learn how to tackle a running back then this was stupid
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Tned
07-22-2010, 11:31 PM
Per Florio PFT (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/23/six-year-615-million-for-dumervil/):

Per a league source with knowledge of the situation, Dumervil's new contract from the Broncos has a base value of $61.5 million over six years.

The deal carries $58.332 million in new money, and an injury guarantee of $43.168 million. Skill guarantees apply in 2011 ($28 million) and 2012 ($12 million).

The compensation for 2009 remains the same, with Dumervil getting $3.168 million. Dumervil's base salary was dropped to the minimum, with the balance paid as a signing bonus.

On the first day of the next league year, whenever it may start, $14 million in base salary becomes guaranteed for skill. At about that time, $6 million of it will be paid out as an advance.

Also in 2011, $14 million in base salary for 2012 becomes guaranteed. In early 2012, $13.3 million of it will be paid as an advance in March of that year.

So much for teams not doing long-term deals worth big money. Then again, the fact that one team did a long-term deal for big money doesn't mean that the rest of them aren't colluding.

Then again, the Broncos arguably had no choice but to pay Dumervil, given the manner in which the team has handled quarterback Jay Cutler and receiver Brandon Marshall.

broncophan
07-22-2010, 11:32 PM
If he doesn't post 15 plus sacks and learn how to tackle a running back then this was stupid

:rolleyes:............

Denver Native (Carol)
07-22-2010, 11:36 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Dumervil-Agrees-to-Extension/6a39677d-3b40-48a4-b61f-043fb6ee1784

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- At the Broncos' June minicamp, Elvis Dumervil said he loved football too much to openly complain or act disappointed about his uncertain contract situation.

Dumervil's upbeat attitude and pass-rushing prowess were rewarded Thursday night when he agreed to a contract extension with the team that drafted him in 2006.

"I am pleased to announce the extension of Elvis Dumervil’s contract with the Denver Broncos," General Manager Brian Xanders said. "He has established himself as one of the NFL’s premier pass rushers, and he’s an important part of the foundation we are building with this team. We are excited to have him as an integral part of the Broncos well into the future."

The fifth-year linebacker made his case for a new contract last season with one of the finest defensive performances in team history. Dumervil became the first Bronco to lead the league in sacks in 2009, racking up 17 of them en route to earning All-Pro status and his first career Pro Bowl selection.

Entering 2010, the former fourth round pick out of Louisville wanted an extension and remained positive while attending the minicamp last month. The famously fun-loving player joked with teammates and wore a smile as he told reporters he didn't want to be a distraction. Dumervil, who signed a one-year tender on June 14, said he wanted to support his teammates and continue learning the new defensive system after spending the start of the offseason training at home in Miami.

At the time, several teammates applauded Dumervil's professionalism and expressed their gratitude for his commitment to the organization.

Nine days before veterans are due to report to Dove Valley for training camp, the Broncos locked up their pass-rushing star with a new deal.

"We are thrilled to have agreed to terms with Elvis Dumervil on a contract extension," Head Coach Josh McDaniels said. "Elvis is a very talented player who will help lead our defense and is also an outstanding person and teammate."

The 5-foot-11, 248-pound linebacker has demonstrated a flair for the big play in his first four NFL seasons. Dumervil has registered 43 total sacks, 11 forced fumbles, eight fumble recoveries and an interception in 61 career games. He has provided at least five sacks each season, and his 13 multi-sack games rank second in the league in that span.

In his historic 2009 campaign, Dumervil played all 16 finishing with 49 tackles, four forced fumbles and three pass breakups, to go along with his impressive sack total. That included a team record four sacks in a 27-6 home win against Cleveland on September 20.

Now armed with the new deal, he'll aim to build off that success in 2010 and beyond.

That's a prospect that excites McDaniels for many reasons.

"The way he has handled this lengthy negotiation this offseason is a great example of the type of player and person we want on our team," McDaniels said. "We look forward to Elvis’ impact for many years to come."

Tned
07-22-2010, 11:37 PM
Anybody else have an urge to bump old posts/threads that stated McDaniels and Xanders would never give Doom the money he wanted, because he simply wasn't worth big time money -- top 5 type money? How they would franchise him for two years before ever giving him a big extension?

Denver Native (Carol)
07-22-2010, 11:38 PM
Anybody else have an urge to bump old posts/threads that stated McDaniels and Xanders would never give Doom the money he wanted, because he simply wasn't worth big time money -- top 5 type money? How they would franchise him for two years before ever giving him a big extension?

Why - what is the sense in doing that?

Tned
07-22-2010, 11:42 PM
Why - what is the sense in doing that?

Because anyone that suggested that Doom should have his contract extended was slammed and attacked by a handful of rabid posters who 'knew' more than the rest.

As President Obama would say, this is a teachable moment. There is no reason that we can't have civil discussions and debates about our beloved Broncos without it becoming bitter and personal. Bumping some of those threads with the vitriol they contained, might highlight that fact.

Anyway, it was said half in jest, half serious.

WARHORSE
07-22-2010, 11:49 PM
The Broncos thought he was worth it........and they signed him.

Im good with that.

Pretty much tells you that if youre a team player, and a leader of the right ilk, the Broncos are willing to pay big money for a player of that caliber.

And if the Broncos werent feeling like that was something they wanted to do, and they chose not to sign him.....well I would be just fine with that too.

Broncos said hes good to go....so hes good to go.

Bring the doom baby.

Watchthemiddle
07-22-2010, 11:53 PM
Great news!!!!!

D1g1tal j1m
07-23-2010, 12:05 AM
Um, no. They had a choice and it was clear what they where going to do...

"The way he has handled this lengthy negotiation this offseason is a great example of the type of player and person we want on our team," McDaniels said. "We look forward to Elvis’ impact for many years to come."
This is the reason that Jay and Marshall aren't here. You act like a professional and "Do your job" and you will get the contract you deserve in Denver...

Shazam!
07-23-2010, 12:12 AM
Yeeeesss!!

Thank you Josh.

Timmy!
07-23-2010, 12:32 AM
That heartless ******* McD is at it again........ :heh:

Glad we got him signed long term, but that's a big payday. Doom needs to keep on producing and not sit back because he got paid.

dogfish
07-23-2010, 12:54 AM
YyyeeessSSSS!!

:seriouslywickedfistpumps:

:whoo::whoo: :woot: :elefant: :defense::defense:

well played, broncos. . . this is the right move for so many reasons-- good organizations keep their premiere talent and build around it, we could afford to let any more go. . . this team hasn't had any pass rush in forever aside from the blitz-crazed, beautiful '05 season. . . last year, doom's franchise-record effort along with some well-timed blitzes finally brought us back to respectable in that utterly crucial area. . . it's a passing league, and if we want to build a team that can contend when it matters the most we need to have defensive weapons who can slow down the top quarterbacks-- and IMO, top edge rushers may be worth even more than top defensive backs in that regard, though of course it's preferrable to have both. . .

besides which, i really do think it was important for this regime to put their money where their mouth was when it comes to the type of professionalism and committment they expect from their players. . . dumervil did everything the right way as well as producing an all-pro season his first year at the position-- he earned his payday. . . you don't want to set TOO much of a precedent that throwing tantrums and forcing your way out of town is the only way to cash in. . .

positive reinforcement is a pretty basic psychological tactic, but that doesn't make it ineffective. . . everyone who posts here probably knows it from their own work experiences-- people are happier and work harder when they think they're being treated fairly than when they don't. . . the NFL isn't some feudal society, and forcing a guy to play on the ultra-cheap just because you own his contractual rights is hardly the best way to secure good will among your employees. . .

which is why this was the right thing to do. . . the fact that it rather definitely kills the conspiracy theories about the broncos being broke and lacking the financial commitment to fielding a competitive team is just a nice little side bonus. . .

Lonestar
07-23-2010, 12:55 AM
while I am not familiar with NFL contracts I can say I have never heard on one being broken down in this manner.

Looks to me like they have built in escape clauses if thing do not progress.

looks to me like if the lock out happens he does not get paid for the following $14 million in base salary becomes guaranteed for skill. At about that time, $6 million of it will be paid out as an advance.

then the following has me wondering."in 2011, $14 million in base salary for 2012 becomes guaranteed. In early 2012, $13.3 million of it will be paid as an advance in March of that year.

The remaining base salaries are $10 million in 2014 and $9 million in 2015."

which looks like the 14 mil for 2012 could be forfeited IF there is no play in 2011, in early 2012 looks like a 12 million might not be really due if he is not around in the after that who knows

It looks to me like he has a guaranteed contract IF he is around. if he is not then it is really not guaranteed.

at least the way it is laid out in the PFT blurb.

So it looks to me like the BRoncos are hedging on whether he improves his play.

dogfish
07-23-2010, 12:56 AM

i'd offer to fight you, but it's good just to see you posting here. . .

i will, however, take this opportunity to remind you of plenty of statements you've made in the past to the effect that the front office are the ones who are paid to do this, give them a little benefit of the doubt that they know what they're doing until proven otherwise, etc etc. . .

edit: also, you must think ozzy newsome is stupid, then-- they paid suggs that kind of money and he hasn't done shit. . .

dogfish
07-23-2010, 01:00 AM

don't worry, i'm sure i will when i get a few extra minutes. . . . :lol:

feel free in the meanwhile. . .

i remember quite a bit of what was said, an awful lot of it not much better than simple and shameful denigration of one of our best players from the likes of tempus fugit and a few other people. . . there's a good bit of legitmate crow that a few folks have coming, although we already know at least one who'll squirm away. . . .

;)

Tempus Fugit
07-23-2010, 02:07 AM
Because anyone that suggested that Doom should have his contract extended was slammed and attacked by a handful of rabid posters who 'knew' more than the rest.

As President Obama would say, this is a teachable moment. There is no reason that we can't have civil discussions and debates about our beloved Broncos without it becoming bitter and personal. Bumping some of those threads with the vitriol they contained, might highlight that fact.

1.) While it may have happened, I don't recall anyone saying that Dumervil shouldn't get an extension. That would have been an interesting position to take, given the Broncos public position stating that they planned to sign the man.

2.) While I have no problem with a "see, I/we told you!" moment, and pulling up old quotes, doing so highlights you rubbing that in someone's face, and is not really a "teachable moment".

3.) If what's currently being reported about the contract is accurate, the Broncos overpaid for the player, and this could have negative repercussions on the team's ability to sign other players if the future cap is a cut back from what was in place prior to the uncapped year. Having said that, at least it wasn't a QB being overpaid (which would really have been a huge hit on a future cap), and it does send a message that the Broncos will pay the 'good soldier' player under the right conditions.

4.) Congrats to Dumervil. If he takes care of his money, he's set up his family for his lifetime. His agent is going to be in pretty good shape too, for that matter.

Elevation inc
07-23-2010, 03:00 AM

yeah i also have the urge to bump the threads about how MCD/Xanders suck becasue they wont pay doom yet.....:welcome:

i depsite either side am thrilled we have doom for the next six years...1 trick pony or not....i dont dwell on the small things after his class act during the off-season....

Elevation inc
07-23-2010, 03:07 AM
THE BEST THING ABOUT THIS WHOLE THING BESIDES DOOM BEING WITH US?????

MCD just showed you play for the team, do the right things in the off-season and behave like a upstanding teammate and you will get paid for performing....this is a huge boost to our team chemistry and confidence right now....more than many realize....its should def help get teammates even more excited to perform at a high level....

Poet
07-23-2010, 04:04 AM
Dumervil got paid, the Broncos kept a stud team first player, and the contract was good and FAIR for both sides.

I think you guys should all be smiling right about now.

HORSEPOWER 56
07-23-2010, 05:12 AM
Hell Yeah! Doom is a Bronco for the long haul! Breakin' Necks and Cashing Checks! Dolla, Dolla, Bill ya'll!!! :make it rain:

:woot:

Dirk
07-23-2010, 05:36 AM
I'm happy.

I'll admit I was one that said he wasn't worth top 5 money. But I also said it's not MY money so why worry about it. ha!

Good for Doom!! This will definately help the locker room.

tomjonesrocks
07-23-2010, 05:57 AM
I can't believe the team actually paid somebody rather than trading them away. Been awhile on some truly good news regarding the team.

Doom was a good soldier and earned it. Would have been paid sooner if he'd gone Cutler and just demanded a trade so props to him.

Tned
07-23-2010, 06:45 AM

MCD just showed you play for the team, do the right things in the off-season and behave like a upstanding teammate and you will get paid for performing....this is a huge boost to our team chemistry and confidence right now....more than many realize....its should def help get teammates even more excited to perform at a high level....

Ditto.

EastCoastBronco
07-23-2010, 06:55 AM
Great News.
The man is a player and we need more guys like him on this squad.

Tned
07-23-2010, 06:56 AM
while I am not familiar with NFL contracts I can say I have never heard on one being broken down in this manner.

Looks to me like they have built in escape clauses if thing do not progress.

looks to me like if the lock out happens he does not get paid for the following $14 million in base salary becomes guaranteed for skill. At about that time, $6 million of it will be paid out as an advance.

then the following has me wondering."in 2011, $14 million in base salary for 2012 becomes guaranteed. In early 2012, $13.3 million of it will be paid as an advance in March of that year.

The remaining base salaries are $10 million in 2014 and $9 million in 2015."

which looks like the 14 mil for 2012 could be forfeited IF there is no play in 2011, in early 2012 looks like a 12 million might not be really due if he is not around in the after that who knows

It looks to me like he has a guaranteed contract IF he is around. if he is not then it is really not guaranteed.

at least the way it is laid out in the PFT blurb.

So it looks to me like the BRoncos are hedging on whether he improves his play.

It's being touted as one of the first major contracts to be done with the lockout looming. It looks like they may have tried to come up with something creative.

It looks like they wrote it so that if there is a lockout, his contract extension just is put on hold until they are playing again. So, rather than tying it to specific years, it is "On the first day of the next league year, whenever it may start" which means even if there is a two year lockout, then his extension kicks in when play resumes.

It says the full $43 million is guaranteed for injury, and it appears that at least $28 million, and possibly $36 million, is guaranteed period (skill guarantee).

I'm sure in coming days we will see a further breakdown to understand it. I'm guessing that since it is one of the first major contracts to be done this off season, that it might take some deciphering even among those that usually report on these contracts. It's very likely that many of the big rookie contracts will have something similar.

claymore
07-23-2010, 07:03 AM
Love Doom, happy for him, but I think we paid way too much for him.

MileHighCrew
07-23-2010, 07:04 AM
Lot of money but glad that is over.

claymore
07-23-2010, 07:18 AM

Those same guys said we would never draft a QB in the first round because it wasnt a need. Now they love Tebow, But still hate Shanahan because he did it. :lol:

LTC Pain
07-23-2010, 08:43 AM
"Just got paid today, got me a pocketfull of change" (ZZ Top)

Glad to have you back Doom! The Broncos need 52 more just like you.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-23-2010, 09:27 AM
I can't believe the team actually paid somebody rather than trading them away. Been awhile on some truly good news regarding the team.

Doom was a good soldier and earned it. Would have been paid sooner if he'd gone Cutler and just demanded a trade so props to him.

The team actually paid a TEAM player - not a ME player, and I am glad that is the type of players they want on the Broncos

threefolddead
07-23-2010, 09:48 AM
Time to order my Dumervil jersey.

broncobryce
07-23-2010, 09:51 AM
I knew they would sign him before camp. Hopefully champ gets signed too

dbfan21
07-23-2010, 10:02 AM
sweet!! :salute:

NightTrainLayne
07-23-2010, 10:05 AM
I'm surprised a little at the size of the contract, but I never doubted that a deal would be in place before the season started, and I'm glad to see it's done.

I trust McD, and Broncos management, and hopefully more will start to see that such trust is well placed with this team.

TXBRONC
07-23-2010, 10:08 AM
Very good news!

Indeed it is and he's worth it. :salute:

Northman
07-23-2010, 10:12 AM

Thank you. He is the best ******* midget in the league and he is a Denver Bronco. I ******* LOVE THIS! Finally, McD showed some common sense.

TXBRONC
07-23-2010, 10:15 AM
Love Doom, happy for him, but I think we paid way too much for him.

:eviltongue:

TXBRONC
07-23-2010, 10:17 AM
Thank you. He is the best ******* midget in the league and he is a Denver Bronco. I ******* LOVE THIS! Finally, McD showed some common sense.

I can't believe Dumervil's agent talked the front office out of a incentive based contract. ;)

Northman
07-23-2010, 10:18 AM
Dumervil got paid, the Broncos kept a stud team first player, and the contract was good and FAIR for both sides.

I think you guys should all be smiling right about now.

Amen brother, this is the BEST news ive heard in the last 2 years. Im stoked!!!!!

MasterShake
07-23-2010, 10:21 AM
Great news all around. It would have killed me to see us lose Doom. Now if we can lock up Champ for the rest of his career I'll be a happy camper!:salute:

Denver Native (Carol)
07-23-2010, 10:22 AM
I can't believe Dumervil's agent talked the front office out of a incentive based contract. ;)

I don't believe that his agent talked the front office out of an incentive based contract - I have confidence in the Broncos front office knowing what they are doing, and they did what they had to to get Dumervil signed.

jhildebrand
07-23-2010, 10:25 AM
This is AWESOME news!

Dumervil deserved to be paid. Pending more details, I would say they slightly overpaid for the guy. However, it is well worth it. The Broncos hadn't paid anybody since Champ.

I also like this move for two reasons.

1: It is a clean break, IMO, from the NE way of handling contracts for players like this. It shows Josh is willing to do things differently from Blicheat. It takes an argument away from detractors like myself. But I am all the happier for it.

2: The team put their money where their mouth is with all the :do your job, team first, we'll take care of you talk!"

Great job by McD and Xanders getting this done now. I bet we see our rooks deals done very quickly from here on out.

TXBRONC
07-23-2010, 10:38 AM

I don't believe that his agent talked the front office out of an incentive based contract - I have confidence in the Broncos front office knowing what they are doing, and they did what they had to to get Dumervil signed.

Sarcasm. ;)

pnbronco
07-23-2010, 10:39 AM

Double Ditto....

This makes me so happy for soooo many reasons. Doom is a great guy, a leader and he came to the OTA's without a contract and showed class the entire time. The Broncos did what they said they would do and got it done before camp so they can go into it with focus and doing the job of putting together a strong team. This will be the first time that Doom will know his DC and a basic scheme since he started, so that can only help our team.

I would be shocked if he went crazy with his money. He was a guest on the CBS Monday night show at Old Chicago a few years ago. We pulled into the parking lot about the same time. He was driving something nice, but it was not the nicest car in the lot. He also did a "meet the player" show I think it aired in am before game with Cathy Lee. He showed her how much he liked to cook and how he was into all the fresh veggies and spices. The kitchen was nice but didn't scream money. I'm just so glad this all worked out...so let's start talking about football again.............;)

BORDERLINE
07-23-2010, 10:45 AM
great news for the broncos great for doom....hope he keeps bringin the heat

arapaho2
07-23-2010, 10:47 AM
The team actually paid a TEAM player - not a ME player, and I am glad that is the type of players they want on the Broncos

leach was a true team player too.....:coffee:

GEM
07-23-2010, 10:47 AM
Great news all around. It would have killed me to see us lose Doom. Now if we can lock up Champ for the rest of his career I'll be a happy camper!:salute:

I just hope that Champ understands his age and doesn't expect a top heavy contract. We can't pay him top buck anymore on the backside of his career. I'd love to see him retire a Bronco if the deal is good for both sides.

GEM
07-23-2010, 10:50 AM

Geez rap....can ya take one day off from the negative? :lol:

Denver Native (Carol)
07-23-2010, 10:52 AM

That would almost be as good as the Dumervil signing, as it definitely gets old.

arapaho2
07-23-2010, 10:57 AM

i could but i hate it when people use this false crap that mcd only trades or cuts players who arent team players and will reward you for being a team guy

leach was a total team guy, never an issue, cheap, ...and he was not rewarded

just keeping it real

pnbronco
07-23-2010, 11:04 AM
Well the REAL for me today is that camp is 8 days, 21 hours away. Doom is signed. The Broncos are my favorite football team and I look forward to this season.....:D

weazel
07-23-2010, 11:06 AM
good news! great news!!!

jrelway
07-23-2010, 11:08 AM
In the years past, we never had a premier pass rusher like Doom. Now we finally have one long term. I think Doom is damn worth the money, and he went about it the right way.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-23-2010, 11:09 AM
i could but i hate it when people use this false crap that mcd only trades or cuts players who arent team players and will reward you for being a team guy

just keeping it real

One comment only in regards to this, as this thread is about Dumervil

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_11804611

Yet Leach was watching NFL free-agent updates on a cable sports channel Friday when he read across the crawler that the Broncos had signed longtime New England long snapper Lonie Paxton to a five-year, $5.3 million deal.

Leach said he would ask for his release once he learns Paxton's signing is official.

"I don't begrudge anybody," said Leach, who has a dog named Longsnapper. "New coaches come in and changes get made. I may not like it, but it happens. I just hope they can do right by me by letting me go so I can try and find another job."

Spiritguy
07-23-2010, 11:17 AM
It was 11:35 p.m. Mountain time when Elvis Dumervil called me back, a bit past The Denver Post’s print deadline.

I was telling him about the story I just wrote about him. I told him that after he received his new contract that includes an NFL-record-among-pass-rushers $43.168 million guarantee against injury, that the first thing Broncos fans should expect is for his sack totals to go down from the NFL-most 17 he had last season.

With Robert Ayers, a first-round pick who had zero sacks as a rookie last year, coming from the other side of the Broncos’ 3-4 defensive front, opposing offenses will treat Dumervil, a fourth-round pick in 2006, as a marked man. Every passing down, Dumervil will have to beat not one, but at least two NFL-caliber blockers.

Dumervil’s sack totals may go down but if he consistently frees up opportunities for his defensive teammates, his value may soar.

Dumervil had an answer to my theory.

”It’s going to be tough but a lot of teams passed on me before the Broncos selected me with the 126th pick,’’ Dumervil said. “”I’m wanting to show these other teams what they missed out on. I’m obsessed with that. I feel bitter about those decisions. Now I want to prove to other teams that the Broncos were right in wanting to reward me by extending me.

I’m just getting started. I don’t play the game for money. It’s nice to know I don’t have to have to worry about taking care of my family, but I love the game. That alone, I expect to stay in double-digits in sacks.’’

link (http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2010/07/23/elvis-speaks-about-new-contract/3906/)

GO GET UM DOOM!!

Spiritguy
07-23-2010, 11:23 AM
Here is Andrew Masons perspective on Dooms extension:

All’s well that ends well for the Broncos and Elvis Dumervil, who renewed their vows for six years at a price that should set up the fifth-year defensive end for a lifetime of financial security.

The guaranteed money in the contract – reported by ESPN.com to be between $41 and $43 million (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5403260) – seems excessive when viewed on the surface, but given the current premium on all things passing (passer, pass rusher, pass protector), it was going to take that kind of money to make a deal happen. The standard for Dumervil’s deal was established by Dallas outside linebacker DeMarcus Ware; last October he signed a six-year extension that included $40 million of guaranteed money.

For their outlay, the Broncos get a player who has 10.5 fewer sacks over the last three years than Ware (45 to 34.5), but six more last year (17 to 11) in a season that showed Dumervil’s full potential as he worked in a system that best meshed with his skill set.

But of further significance is the impact on the locker room. With a labor impasse looming next year, it can be argued that the trust level between players and ownership around the league hasn’t been this low in a generation, since the last labor strife during the replacement-marred 1987 season. Long-term extensions for veterans in their fourth, fifth and sixth seasons are an endangered species this year.

The rest here (http://maxdenver.com/blog1/2010/07/22/the-hidden-value-of-dumervils-contract-a-player-morale-boost/)

arapaho2
07-23-2010, 11:25 AM

Yet Leach was watching NFL free-agent updates on a cable sports channel Friday when he read across the crawler that the Broncos had signed longtime New England long snapper Lonie Paxton to a five-year, $5.3 million deal.

Leach said he would ask for his release once he learns Paxton's signing is official.

"I don't begrudge anybody," said Leach, who has a dog named Longsnapper. "New coaches come in and changes get made. I may not like it, but it happens. I just hope they can do right by me by letting me go so I can try and find another job."

exactly thanks for proving my point!!!

leach was a true team player...never f'd up...never missed a snap..never a excuse or a reason we lost...yet he was rewarded by the coach signing his former LS to a huge deal....

thanks carol

Northman
07-23-2010, 11:29 AM
It was 11:35 p.m. Mountain time when Elvis Dumervil called me back, a bit past The Denver Post’s print deadline.

I was telling him about the story I just wrote about him. I told him that after he received his new contract that includes an NFL-record-among-pass-rushers $43.168 million guarantee against injury, that the first thing Broncos fans should expect is for his sack totals to go down from the NFL-most 17 he had last season.

With Robert Ayers, a first-round pick who had zero sacks as a rookie last year, coming from the other side of the Broncos’ 3-4 defensive front, opposing offenses will treat Dumervil, a fourth-round pick in 2006, as a marked man. Every passing down, Dumervil will have to beat not one, but at least two NFL-caliber blockers.

Dumervil’s sack totals may go down but if he consistently frees up opportunities for his defensive teammates, his value may soar.

Dumervil had an answer to my theory.

”It’s going to be tough but a lot of teams passed on me before the Broncos selected me with the 126th pick,’’ Dumervil said. “”I’m wanting to show these other teams what they missed out on. I’m obsessed with that. I feel bitter about those decisions. Now I want to prove to other teams that the Broncos were right in wanting to reward me by extending me.

I’m just getting started. I don’t play the game for money. It’s nice to know I don’t have to have to worry about taking care of my family, but I love the game. That alone, I expect to stay in double-digits in sacks.’’

link (http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2010/07/23/elvis-speaks-about-new-contract/3906/)

GO GET UM DOOM!!

Doom is simply the man and my favorite player on the Broncos.

Italianmobstr7
07-23-2010, 11:32 AM

just keeping it real

People get cut in the NFL man. It's McDaniels team, he can do whatever he wants. Who cares that he cut Mike freaking Leach? So what he was a good long snapper, and apparently a good person as well? There's not room for everybody. You can't really blame McD for bringing in someone he was more comfortable with. Same reason he brought in players like Jabar Gaffney, LeKevin Smith, etc... I don't see this as a big deal AT ALL. Also, it's not like cutting Leach negatively affected the Broncos. Paxton has been GREAT for us so far, and Leach caught on very quick like McD knew he would. People get cut from NFL teams all the time, but just because you don't like McD you throw him under the bus. That's absolutely stupid. Just be happy that we re-signed Doom and get off the haterade. I'm not a fan of every single thing that McD did at the time he did it, but guess what? I'm a BRONCOS fan. As long as he's the HEAD COACH of the BRONCOS I'll be supporting the organization, and that includes the coach, players, owner and front office.

Pumped about getting Dumervil re-signed. We've got a premier pass rusher and at the very least someone who commands a double team. Very happy about this!

pnbronco
07-23-2010, 11:36 AM
Hey UR this is the very best news for you....now Dog and I don't have to hunt you down and do very mean things to you............;)

(so glad you were wrong)

honz
07-23-2010, 11:55 AM
Not to change the topic, but I'm going to go off topic here...

Do we really want Champ to end his career as a Bronco? He has a couple more years of high level play in him before he likely starts to become a shell of himself...and he will likely want a big payday before he hits his big decline.

CoachChaz
07-23-2010, 12:01 PM
i'd offer to fight you, but it's good just to see you posting here. . .

i will, however, take this opportunity to remind you of plenty of statements you've made in the past to the effect that the front office are the ones who are paid to do this, give them a little benefit of the doubt that they know what they're doing until proven otherwise, etc etc. . .

edit: also, you must think ozzy newsome is stupid, then-- they paid suggs that kind of money and he hasn't done shit. . .

My response is...Yes. yes the front office is paid to make these decisions. And yes, i thought at the time and now that Baltimore and Dallas were overpaying for the position. Denver is too, but the precedent has already been set by Newsome and Jones. Regardless of who prepared the offer i still think its will appear to be a stupid one if his performance isn't worthy. Its actually a quite obvious statement not really worthy of a "fight"

Denver Native (Carol)
07-23-2010, 12:12 PM
exactly thanks for proving my point!!!

leach was a true team player...never f'd up...never missed a snap..never a excuse or a reason we lost...yet he was rewarded by the coach signing his former LS to a huge deal....

thanks carol

Wow, so that is what you got out of what I posted by Leach saying the following:

"Leach said he would ask for his release once he learns Paxton's signing is official."

What this tells me is that Leach was not open to competition

arapaho2
07-23-2010, 12:13 PM

Do we really want Champ to end his career as a Bronco? He has a couple more years of high level play in him before he likely starts to become a shell of himself...and he will likely want a big payday before he hits his big decline.

in short....yes

champ could also move to safety as he slows and in my opinion would be teriffic

arapaho2
07-23-2010, 12:15 PM
Wow, so that is what you got out of what I posted by Leach saying the following:

"Leach said he would ask for his release once he learns Paxton's signing is official."

What this tells me is that Leach was not open to competition

no what it tells you is when josh made paxton the highst paid LS..it wasnt so he would be cut or relegated to bench

read the writing on the wall...there is only room for one LS on a team....when the coach brings in his former LS...signs him to a huge contract, you honestly think theres gonna be competition?:lol:

claymore
07-23-2010, 12:20 PM
no what it tells you is when josh made paxton the highst paid LS..it wasnt so he would be cut or relegated to bench

read the writing on the wall...there is only room for one LS on a team....when the coach brings in his former LS...signs him to a huge contract, you honestly think theres gonna be competition?:lol:

If Paxton ever goes down we are effed.

broncobryce
07-23-2010, 12:22 PM
Are you really bitching about a longsnapper nobody cares about when we just signed the best pash rusher denver ever had? Cry me a river, its what you do best.

arapaho2
07-23-2010, 12:29 PM
If Paxton ever goes down we are effed.

if any teams ls goes down they are effed....most teams may have a guy who practises snapping...or did it in HS or college, as a emergency backup...but have room for only one true LS on the roster

arapaho2
07-23-2010, 12:31 PM
Are you really bitching about a longsnapper nobody cares about when we just signed the best pash rusher denver ever had? Cry me a river, its what you do best.

yeah like you know me...listen captain clueless
nobody is crying over paxton

the statemwnt was made...josh is showing the team if your a team player he will reward you

i only offered a counter that leach was a team player

if you cant follow that ...im sorry for you

claymore
if any teams ls goes down they are effed....most teams may have a guy who practises snapping...or did it in HS or college, as a emergency backup...but have room for only one true LS on the roster

I was being sarcastic. If Lonnie Paxton was sucked into a vortex and never seen again, this team wouldnt win or lose any games because of it. And we would all say "what was that guys name" 2 years from now.

Lonestar

Great find.

As much as I loved the guy and defended him to the knuckle heads that wanted to cut him since he was not a "real" TE and LS were something they thought should be scraped off you shoes after leaving the barn.

Well I thought at the time wow he is giving up without a fight. Perhaps he is not the man I thought he was.

Again great find.

arapaho2
07-23-2010, 12:32 PM
I was being sarcastic. If Lonnie Paxton was sucked into a vortex and never seen again, this team wouldnt win or lose any games because of it. And we would all say "what was that guys name" 2 years from now.

ok cool

claymore
07-23-2010, 12:34 PM
Great find.

As much as I loved the guy and defended him to the knuckle heads that wanted to cut him since he was not a "real" TE and LS were something they thought should be scraped off you shoes after leaving the barn.

Well I thought at the time wow he is giving up without a fight. Perhaps he is not the man I thought he was.

Again great find.

:lol:

Tned
07-23-2010, 12:40 PM
I'm surprised a little at the size of the contract, but I never doubted that a deal would be in place before the season started, and I'm glad to see it's done.

I trust McD, and Broncos management, and hopefully more will start to see that such trust is well placed with this team.

I'm not surprised by the amount, because that was the going rate for a pass rusher like him. The guaranteed was going to have to be $40 give or take. Without that, he wasn't going to get resigned by the Broncos.

BigDaddyBronco
07-23-2010, 12:41 PM
Just think we could have spent $60 million on BM and have a constant problem with a bum hip.

Good job Broncos!

Lonestar
07-23-2010, 12:42 PM

Now where is it written in stone that a re year old cb can't play at a high level in the NFL. Green from WAS played till he was 42.

Me thinks your forgetting his influence in the locker room as a stablizing big gun.

I'm hoping that they can work out a deal that benifits him and the TEAM.

Lonestar
07-23-2010, 12:54 PM
Just think we could have spent $60 million on BM and have a constant problem with a bum hip.

Good job Broncos!

Or just plain BUM or wife beater or major DIVA.

Then of course there is drunk, mr DUI, or best yet Goodells best freind.

Glad he is going to be someone elses issue.

honz
07-23-2010, 12:54 PM
Now where is it written in stone that a re year old cb can't play at a high level in the NFL. Green from WAS played till he was 42.

Me thinks your forgetting his influence in the locker room as a stablizing big gun.

I'm hoping that they can work out a deal that benifits him and the TEAM.
He's already declining. Don't get me wrong, he is still one of the best in the league, but he isn't as dominating as he used to be.

nevcraw
07-23-2010, 01:05 PM
Great move FO. tell the world we will pay for quality people with quality talent..

Hopefully signing Kuper and Doom is just the begining of retaining and or atracting these types of players in/to denver.
well done.

Italianmobstr7
07-23-2010, 01:08 PM
He's already declining. Don't get me wrong, he is still one of the best in the league, but he isn't as dominating as he used to be.

Yes he is. Only starting CB to NOT allow a TD last season. He's just as dominant as ever. He is going up against better competition on a weekly basis now though. His INT numbers are down, but he forces a lot of throws to the other side, he hasn't lost any speed, and if anything he's been a big help to our young DB's. Even though he only had 2 INT's last year, he helped cause about 5 or 6. Champ is much better than people think. It's not always about stats, sometimes it's about causing problems even without the stats. Same thing is going to happen this year with Dumervil. He probably won't have 17 sacks this year, but he'll command a double team and he'll open up things for other players. Champ forces QB's to throw to the other side of the field, and does a great job shutting down his guy. I think he'll have a better year this year in the new D than he has either of the previous 2. You have to think as well, before last year, we had very little pass rush. You give ANY QB time for his WR's to get open, and they're gonna catch the ball. I don't care if it's Revis, Champ, Asmogah or anyone.

nevcraw
07-23-2010, 01:11 PM

In a word ----- yes.

He will be one of the most dominating ball hawking safties to ever play the game.

the guy will still be a top 5 CB up untill he makes the switch.

BroncoJoe
07-23-2010, 01:12 PM
I'm glad we signed him, but I also think we overpaid. Time will tell.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-23-2010, 01:22 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/

Click on 2 - news & blogs

Lonestar
07-23-2010, 01:45 PM
he dominating because he had to he had NO help from the DL. Just now there may be some hope with a revamped DL and front seven..

BTW not sure where to find it IIRC they still do not throw to Champs side very often. and IIRC he had NO scores passed on him this last year.

So while that may not dominate and he may not be getting 10 picks a year perhaps that mean they do not throw in his direction.

With some help around him he can be productive for the next few years at least and it would be nice to have ANOTHER Bronco HOF player.

Edmonton Bronco Fan
07-23-2010, 01:48 PM
Great news! I'm glad they got this done before TC.

Lonestar
07-23-2010, 01:51 PM
Yes he is. Only starting CB to NOT allow a TD last season. He's just as dominant as ever. He is going up against better competition on a weekly basis now though. His INT numbers are down, but he forces a lot of throws to the other side, he hasn't lost any speed, and if anything he's been a big help to our young DB's. Even though he only had 2 INT's last year, he helped cause about 5 or 6. Champ is much better than people think. It's not always about stats, sometimes it's about causing problems even without the stats. Same thing is going to happen this year with Dumervil. He probably won't have 17 sacks this year, but he'll command a double team and he'll open up things for other players. Champ forces QB's to throw to the other side of the field, and does a great job shutting down his guy. I think he'll have a better year this year in the new D than he has either of the previous 2. You have to think as well, before last year, we had very little pass rush. You give ANY QB time for his WR's to get open, and they're gonna catch the ball. I don't care if it's Revis, Champ, Asmogah or anyone.
I said much the same thing before reading this post..

Good job of stating it better.

Champ can play for many years even IF he is a step slower than he was coming out of college.

While speed is great know where to be and when is even better and that comes with experience. something you are not born with.

I hope they can come together and have a MUTUALLY agreeable contract that does not break the bank.

Other than moving to ATL which is pretty much home why would he feel the need to move.

I think IF he has invested wisely he is pretty set for life as it is. Now it is just EGO involved in how much he takes/needs.

OrangeHoof
07-23-2010, 02:09 PM
Good for Doom. As an undersized DE who has had to deal with a position change and produced more than a fourth-rounder should be expected, I'm happy for him.

frauschieze
07-23-2010, 02:16 PM
As the designated Mike Leach defender, I have to step in:

1. Mike Leach was not cut. He was released on his own request.
Those of you who question whether or not he was a team player because of that need to reexamine the circumstances, timing and basic logic.
2. Paxton was signed to a 5 year deal worth over $5M with a $1M signing bonus.
3. Leach's salary for the coming year would have been approximately $800K.
4. There is not room for two LS on a team.
5. Paxton was signed on the first day of free agency.
6. Leach has a family, with small children.

Now, take into consideration what would happen if both went to camp and had a competition for the position. Both are excellent long snappers. It is unlikely that either is stupendously better than the other and the team would be served well by either. Cap wise, the smaller hit comes from releasing Leach. Paxton has worked with the coach, knows the playbook so he has less of a learning curve. Leach has a family to support and it's the beginning of free agency, the best time to be looking for a new team. What would you do? Do you REALLY think the Broncos would give up a million dollars to hold a competition for a LS?

Those of you who want to question Leach's loyalty to the Broncos, be my guest. But the Broncos turned on him and he did what put himself in the best position to provide for his family. He had nothing but positive things to say about his time here and the city of Denver. If that makes him a bad teammate, then I don't know what a good one is.

dogfish
07-23-2010, 02:26 PM
way to get mama bear riled up-- nice work, assclowns. . . .

frauschieze
07-23-2010, 02:28 PM
Rawr!

I'm done. I just get tired of the vilification of all former Broncos. Especially my favorite player.

GEM
07-23-2010, 02:31 PM
From Doom's official Twitter page:

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/8282/doomp.jpg

:rockon: :D

Denver Native (Carol)
07-23-2010, 02:50 PM
http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denverbroncos/professionalism-pays/

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — When announcing Elvis Dumervil’s contract extension Thursday night, Head Coach Josh McDaniels and General Manager Brian Xanders lauded the Broncos’ sackmaster for his professionalism through this offseason.

On a Friday conference call, Dumervil said surrounding himself with a supportive group of family, friends and teammates proved the key to successfully managing a potentially uncomfortable situation.

“At the end of the day, I knew my value and there was no need to go out and pout the way other guys have handled things,” Dumervil said. “Character is No. 1 for me, and I knew if I could bring the stats along with it, I’d have a good chance. Nothing’s for sure, but I’ll take my chances with that.”

In 2009, Dumervil earned All-Pro status and his first Pro Bowl selection after leading the league with 17 sacks, cementing his status as one of the league’s premier pass rushers.

Coming into this season, the former fourth round pick from Louisville wanted a new contract, but he also didn’t want his contract to be a distraction to himself or his team.

Thursday’s announcement ensured that when he reports to training camp next week his only focus will be continuing to perfect his technique as an outside linebacker and improving on his big 2009 season.

“(The contract) was something I didn’t really want to dwell on,” Dumervil said. “I was hoping to get it done because I wanted to go into the season all football. That was able to get done, so that was a blessing in itself, and I’m excited about that.”

Since being selected by the Broncos in the 2006 draft, Dumervil has produced. He’s tallied 43 total sacks, 11 forced fumbles, eight fumble recoveries and an interception in 61 career games. The linebacker has provided at least five sacks each season, and his 13 multi-sack games rank second in the league in that span.

Now Dumervil can look forward to being a key pillar on Broncos’ defenses in 2010 and beyond.

Less than 24 hours after the agreement became official, Dumervil said he’s still basking in the excitement of the news.

“My phone got flooded with text messages from a lot of very supportive family members and friends,” Dumervil said. “It was a great time to kind of sit back and realize what happened. It’s still a little shocking. Not shocking, but it hasn’t sunk in much. It’s a great feeling to have.”

Below are several notable quotations from Dumervil’s Friday morning conference call:

On his development as a linebacker:
“I’m a long way from where I was last year, but I’m just getting started still — if that makes sense. Mentally, I feel a whole lot more comfortable as far as the position and knowing coverage assignments. It’s not totally new any more, but the thing is I do have to work on a few techniques that I’ve got to really hammer on in training camp. I’m really excited about that.”

On getting help from his teammates rushing the passer:
“If my sack totals go down and other guys make plays, that’s what it’s all about. It’s not really about the numbers all the time. It’s about how effective I can be.”

On if his motivation changes with a new contract:
“I love the game either way. If I had a contract or not, I’d come out because I love the game. To me, (my motivation is) more personal as far as the guys who came in with me. It goes deeper (than money). People want to come into my head, it’s like a maze. It’s different than people might think it is. I have many ways to get me going. With that, I don’t think the contract or me trying to prove I’m worth the money changes the situation to me.”

On if he can improve going forward:
“I think I’m just getting started. I really do. I think this is a good opportunity for me to come into training camp and get better. Last year was the first year like I said earlier. Now with the same linebackers coach and kind of going over the same defense almost and being in the same system and not having to learn a new position, I think that favors me a little.”

jhildebrand
07-23-2010, 03:15 PM
Or just plain BUM or wife beater or major DIVA.

Then of course there is drunk, mr DUI, or best yet Goodells best freind.

Glad he is going to be someone elses issue.

I guess you are hoping for Dan Graham's and Richard Quinns departure too then? :confused:

GEM
07-23-2010, 03:19 PM
“At the end of the day, I knew my value and there was no need to go out and pout the way other guys have handled things,” Dumervil said. “Character is No. 1 for me, and I knew if I could bring the stats along with it, I’d have a good chance. Nothing’s for sure, but I’ll take my chances with that.”

I like the jab at the other guys. :D

jhildebrand
07-23-2010, 03:20 PM

There is no telling when Champ will fall off. Some do it quickly-Chris McAllister and some play forever-Darrell Green.

The reality is champ didn't allow a single TD last year. The only DB to boast that stat. Let's not also forget the issue with his ex taking off with his kid in the middle of the season!

I am not saying Champ wont fall off I am just saying I wouldn't bet he would! Furthermore, there is no guarantee that he will be asking for top dollar.

My guess is Champ will be looking for a shot at the SB. If it looks as though he can get it here as promised he'd stay. If it looks better elsewhere, he's gone.

Poet
07-23-2010, 04:30 PM

You must have been one of those guys who was sad when Elway got a ring because "If he hadn't it just would have proved that you can be the best QB of all time and not win a SB."

Denver Native (Carol)
07-23-2010, 04:39 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_15586715?source=rsssimplepiehome

To fully understand what Elvis Dumervil just received with his new contract, it helps to consider where he would have been without it.

There was a chance Dumervil, who led the NFL with 17 sacks last season, would have felt forced to become a training camp holdout starting Aug. 1, which would have drawn a $16,523 daily fine.

And if he was a holdout, how effective would the Broncos' dominant pass rusher have been this season without those dreaded, but necessary, daily reps in training camp?

And had Dumervil played on through the 2010 season without a new contract, know that every story, every comment, almost every question, would have put his performance in context with his uncertain future.

All of these distractions and potential hardships are now pleasantly moot after the Broncos and Dumervil reached an agreement late Thursday on a five-year, $58.332 million extension that is tacked on to the $3.168 million he already was going to draw this season.

The deal includes a $43.168 million guarantee against injury that establishes a record among NFL pass rushers.

Considering the NFL may not have a season in 2011 because of a labor dispute between owners and the players union, Dumervil expressed appreciation for the team's long-term commitment in him during a conference call today with the Denver media.

"There was a bunch of uncertainty due to the CBA," he said. "It was something I didn't really want to dwell on, but something where I wanted to get it done because I wanted to go into the season all about football."

Despite his large contract, the bulk of which will be paid out in 2011 and 2012, Dumervil still will make less money this year than the Broncos' other projected starting outside linebacker, Robert Ayers, who will draw $5.12 million.

With Dumervil, a fourth-round pick in 2006, expected to become a marked man by opposing protection schemes this season, it may be past time for the Broncos' two, first-round pass rushers in recent years — Jarvis Moss and Ayers — to start reaching the quarterback.

To date, Moss and Ayers have 3 1/2 combined sacks in four combined seasons, or 38 1/2 less sacks than Dumervil has in his four seasons.

Asked who can help him reach the quarterback, Dumervil said: "We have guys all over. You have Robert Ayers, who I think had a tremendous offseason. And Jarvis Moss had a real good offseason as well. And I think we have a really smart coaching staff. I'm sure I'm not going to be just at one point. I'm sure I'm going to be moved around.

"If my sack totals are down and other guys make plays, that's what it's all about. It's not about the numbers all the time. It's about how effective I can be in terms of freeing someone up. As far as that guy, I don't know. We'll have to see when the time happens."

Edmonton Bronco Fan
07-23-2010, 05:04 PM
Thanks for the articles. Doom has a really good head on his shoulders.

Time to finally pick up that jersey!

Lonestar
07-23-2010, 05:40 PM
I guess you are hoping for Dan Graham's and Richard Quinns departure too then? :confused:

Pardon me. When did either spend time in Goodells office several times in one year. For that matter get suspended from games or practice, spend time in jail or be arrested.

Maybe being from out if town I may have missed something.

If you are talking about DUI while they are not GOOD piled on to everything else on the list that he has done well it becomes even more heinous.

arapaho2
07-23-2010, 05:54 PM
You must have been one of those guys who was sad when Elway got a ring because "If he hadn't it just would have proved that you can be the best QB of all time and not win a SB."

your born stupid or just acting:lol:

Lonestar
07-23-2010, 06:17 PM
Yes he is a good kid just not sure he is worth that kind of money.

But I guess that if Pat and Josh are ok with it I should not worry about it.

I still tend to think how it is written other than the injury guarantee it does nit seem to have anyother guarantees except year to year.

Maybe I'm not understanding it correctly.

Tned
07-23-2010, 06:27 PM
Yes he is a good kid just not sure he is worth that kind of money.

But I guess that if Pat and Josh are ok with it I should not worry about it.

I still tend to think how it is written other than the injury guarantee it does nit seem to have anyother guarantees except year to year.

Maybe I'm not understanding it correctly.

I 'think' that the skills guarantee they mention guarantees at least $24 million and possibly $36 milion. I can't tell if that second $12 is guaranteed regardless or only if he is still on the team, or something like that. Hard to know for sure the way it was written up.

jhildebrand
07-23-2010, 06:38 PM
Pardon me. When did either spend time in Goodells office several times in one year. For that matter get suspended from games or practice, spend time in jail or be arrested.

Maybe being from out if town I may have missed something.

If you are talking about DUI while they are not GOOD piled on to everything else on the list that he has done well it becomes even more heinous.

Quinn was jailed for domestic violence before TC last year. Graham was busted for the same.

GGMoogly
07-23-2010, 07:10 PM
As Doom goes, so goes the Broncos :coffee:

Oh, and never begrudge another man his earthly rewards...it's bad form.

Dean
07-23-2010, 07:16 PM
Elvis- an interesting name, a good man, and a great player nice job Broncos!

HORSEPOWER 56
07-23-2010, 08:20 PM
as portrayed by Kenny Powers...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c764JWVt5Fw

I love that freakin' show and I love having Dumervil locked up long-term!

dogfish
07-23-2010, 08:32 PM
DOOM!! DOOM!! DOOM!!

:heh:

EMB6903
07-23-2010, 09:17 PM
All of us know Dumervil is a liability against the run but he makes up for it as a pass rusher.

If Broncos get 15 sacks a year for the next 4 from Dumervil they did not over pay regardless of his run support issues.

Lonestar
07-23-2010, 10:22 PM
I 'think' that the skills guarantee they mention guarantees at least $24 million and possibly $36 milion. I can't tell if that second $12 is guaranteed regardless or only if he is still on the team, or something like that. Hard to know for sure the way it was written up.

As I said in my first post here it looks to me that onlt if he is here at a given time does the gauarantee kick in.

But like you said no one knows for sure until they read it.

But all the dates and dollar figures mean something and I'm guessing they are escape cluases for the Broncos and ego boosters for the AGENT and Doom. Who can now say he has one of the top contracts. Not that I see him as that kind od guy but it allows him to save face. Or maybe his agent to.

We have all seen those gazillion dollar contracts handed out only to see them go down the toilet in the last couple of years because the guy was CUT.

I think this is a NEW way to make everyone happy.

Lonestar
07-23-2010, 11:19 PM
As I said in my first post here it looks to me that onlt if he is here at a given time does the gauarantee kick in.

But like you said no one knows for sure until they read it.

But all the dates and dollar figures mean something and I'm guessing they are escape cluases for the Broncos and ego boosters for the AGENT and Doom. Who can now say he has one of the top contracts. Not that I see him as that kind od guy but it allows him to save face. Or maybe his agent to.

We have all seen those gazillion dollar contracts handed out only to see them go down the toilet in the last couple of years because the guy was CUT.

I think this is a NEW way to make everyone happy.

now I will direct you to the real story how the money breaks down real breaks down.

http://broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158723

looks like some of us were not wrong after all.

Lonestar
07-23-2010, 11:54 PM
thought the facts should be brought over to this thread also.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/424177-what-denver-broncos-elvis-dumervil-will-actually-get-paid

The reports have come in and Elvis Dumervil will be a Bronco for the next six years, making a whopping $61.5 million in the process. CBSSports.com stated that $43.168 million was guaranteed through injury, although if you want the best overview here are the actual figures .

Sports fans hear these numbers then complain about how overpaid athletes are, and how real workers like themselves should be getting the money instead. Yet Dumervil will not see every penny of this contract, not even the "guaranteed" portion. In fact, he won't ever see the majority of all of it.

The contract is made up of rolling guarantees from year to year, meaning if Dumervil is still on the roster each year, he receives a guaranteed bonus. However, if he is released by the team before these points in time, he does not receive any of it. This year Dumervil received a $2.5 million signing bonus and a minimum base salary. His signing bonus is the only actually guaranteed portion of his contract at this point.

The contract then stipulates the first day of the next league year, Dumervil will get a $6 million bonus and an $8 million salary that's "guaranteed for skill." So if a lockout happens Dumervil's salary for 2012 (2013+ depending on the length of the lockout, but this is unlikely) is voided. 2012 also happens to be the year in which Dumervil is paid the most in terms of bonuses.

Guaranteed for skill means that the Broncos still have to pay him his annual salary (once it's been awarded as a guarantee through incentives) even if they cut him as long as he was released because he wasn't considered good enough. In terms of injury insurance, CBSSports reports that $43.168 million of the contract is guaranteed against injury. This means the Broncos still have to pay him even if he's hurt, but this is only insured when he has reached these certain points in the contract. So again, if Dumervil under-performs or gets injured, all the Broncos have to do is release him before the annual bonuses are given out.

Also, if Dumervil gets suspended, arrested, retires, gets hurt off the field, or any other non-injury or playing ability related incident occurs, the Broncos don't have to pay him the remainder of his contract. Thus in actuality, Dumervil is pretty much playing on a one-year $3 million or 2-year $17 million contract.

So why does the media report these "guaranteed" NFL contract numbers and treat them as the player is actually getting all this money? Players and agents use them as leverage for future contract relations, owners use them to complain about how high players salaries are, while the sports media uses them to boost ratings, website hits, and newsstand sales.

(What gets your attention better, a one-year, $3 million contract or a SIX-YEAR, $61.5 MILLION CONTRACT THAT HAS $43.168 million GUARANTEED AGAINST INJURY?).

This leaves us loyal fans to argue and complain about these astronomical annual salaries, which the majority of us will never touch even if we combined our lifetime income. The fact is NFL contracts are not as cut and dry as everyone thinks and they do not have the luxury of signing long-term contracts and sitting back like NBA/MLB players knowing they have nothing to lose. It's just aeasier to think that they are.

Tned
07-24-2010, 01:10 PM
thought the facts should be brought over to this thread also.

It's important to note that what you copied and colored above 'might' be 'facts' and then again might not. It was writen by some fan posters called "Jim" on the Bleacherreport that has a total of four articles, including this one. It was not done by a member of the media or other professional writer, but instead by someone that created an account on Bleacherreport to write articles.

You could write one of these, I could write on of these articles.

We will probably have to wait to get more details from real media folks before knowin what the contract is all about. Rotoworld states that his signing bonus and first three years are guaranteed.

T.K.O.
07-24-2010, 01:17 PM
what's guaranteed is the broncos are a better football team with DOOM than without !:salute::D:beer:

TXBRONC
07-24-2010, 01:27 PM
what's guaranteed is the broncos are a better football team with DOOM than without !:salute::D:beer:

Absolutely. :beer:

Lonestar
07-24-2010, 01:41 PM
It's important to note that what you copied and colored above 'might' be 'facts' and then again might not. It was writen by some fan posters called "Jim" on the Bleacherreport that has a total of four articles, including this one. It was not done by a member of the media or other professional writer, but instead by someone that created an account on Bleacherreport to write articles.

You could write one of these, I could write on of these articles.

We will probably have to wait to get more details from real media folks before knowin what the contract is all about. Rotoworld states that his signing bonus and first three years are guaranteed.

I guess we will have to wait to see who is correct.

BUT the wording of of the initial report lead me and I suspect ANOTHER Jim to think basically the same thing. IF he is cut he does not really get paid all those "guarantees" .

Which also sounds like they have benchmarks that he has to meet to stay on the team OR what several of us called incentives.

It looks like they may have started doing contracts the way they should be done, with incentives to improve and you will be kept. Meet them and you get to stay and more money.

Instead of "roster" bonuses and maybe that is what these really are and back loading contracts for year NO ONE believes will happen, LIKE giving Champ a 10 year contract back loaded in the final 3 that has all (most) of the money in it as an example. But the agent and player can boast the contract was a record. It is called saving face and it gives the agent bragging rights when fishing for other players.

Now that said I hope that he gets all of his money because if he does that means he has turned into something more than a one trick pony that he is now. That Josh believes he has the ability to do so. I and I'm sure everyone else that has voice a similar opinion about it would be ok with that.

There is NO none here that hates the guy just have reservations about his actual worth.

Tned
07-24-2010, 01:47 PM
I guess we will have to wait to see who is correct.

I've said I don't know what the details of the contract are, so there is no scenario under which I will be proven "correct". Quite frankly, I could care less about being proven correct, I just like to talk about my favorite team -- not win Internet arguments.

I simply wanted to let everyone know that the article giving the contract breakdown was written by someone like you or me, who we can be pretty sure hasn't seen the actual contract and doesn't even have the kind of access that the Post and other beat reporters have.

NorCalBronco7
07-24-2010, 02:07 PM
Dooms worth every penny.

If some young players can step up on D like ayers and mcbath, and bannan and green just play solid, our D is going to be insane.

Ive never really been this excited about our D coming into TC. I mean Jamal Williams is going to be fun as hell to watch, and just the size and versatility of our D could put us in the top 5. I dont think thats a strech at all.

Hopefully either A Smith or Cox can be a force at the nickle. But I think that postion has the best chance of being the weekness of our D next year. Somebodys got to step up.

Lonestar
07-24-2010, 02:18 PM

seems the comments above may prove the following statements inaccurate.

I've said I don't know what the details of the contract are, so there is no scenario under which I will be proven "correct". Quite frankly, I could care less about being proven correct, I just like to talk about my favorite team -- not win Internet arguments.

I simply wanted to let everyone know that the article giving the contract breakdown was written by someone like you or me, who we can be pretty sure hasn't seen the actual contract and doesn't even have the kind of access that the Post and other beat reporters have.

Tned
07-24-2010, 02:21 PM
seems the comments above may prove the following statements inaccurate.

The common thread you will see in those posts of mine that you bumped and the reference to President Obama helping us with the concept of teachable moments, is that we should be able to have discussions, and even disagreements, without making them personal and nasty. Those Doom discussions got nasty, when people were trying to force their opinions down other's throats or attack posters that held different viewpoints.

But, hey, if it helps you feel better about yourself, yes, YOU ARE RIGHT. You have PROVEN me wrong. I will try harder to "be like Jr" in the future.

:shakes head: :give me a ******* bread:

Northman
07-24-2010, 02:26 PM
The common thread you will see in those posts of mine that you bumped and the reference to President Obama helping us with the concept of teachable moments, is that we should be able to have discussions, and even disagreements, without making them personal and nasty. Those Doom discussions got nasty, when people were trying to force their opinions down other's throats or attack posters that held different viewpoints.

But, hey, if it helps you feel better about yourself, yes, YOU ARE RIGHT. You have PROVEN me wrong. I will try harder to "be like Jr" in the future.

:shakes head: :give me a ******* bread:

I just see you calling a spade a spade. :coffee: