PDA

View Full Version : Elway thinks Tim Tebow’s arm is fine

CrazyHorse
07-22-2010, 06:46 PM
http://www.playerpress.com/articles/10292-elway-thinks-tim-tebows-arm-is-fine

Denver Broncos Hall of Fame quarterback John Elway thinks that there is way too much being made in the press about the question of whether rookie quarterback Tim Tebow is an NFL-ready passer.

"The thing about Tebow is they're focusing too much on his release," Elway told the Denver Post. "As long as he can get it in a timely manner, I think he has plenty of arm there. He's not going to change his release. He may get better. Obviously, by throwing you get more accurate and more accurate and you may shorten it up as time goes on but if it's long and quick, that's OK."

It sounds as if Elway likes Tebow’s talents and that he could indeed become a good NFL quarterback regardless of what the so called experts think. Considering Elway’s career and the success he had in the NFL, he probably knows what he is talking about, which is more then you can say for most of the people dissing Tebow at this point.

In addition, Elway likes the direction the Broncos are heading in, but he cautioned that people should not expect too much from the team because "they are so young."

"Maybe they make eight, nine, 10 wins would be a good year I would think," Elway said. "But show a little more consistency and finish the season out."

tomjonesrocks
07-22-2010, 07:41 PM
"In addition, Elway likes the direction the Broncos are heading in, but he cautioned that people should not expect too much from the team because "they are so young."

Think this is a telling comment...don't expect too much from the team?

Apollo
07-22-2010, 07:45 PM
"In addition, Elway likes the direction the Broncos are heading in, but he cautioned that people should not expect too much from the team because "they are so young."

Think this is a telling comment...don't expect too much from the team?

I think he means, "Be patient, the team is young and has a lot of potential, but as for now they need time".

tomjonesrocks
07-22-2010, 07:53 PM
I think he means, "Be patient, the team is young and has a lot of potential, but as for now they need time".

More bluntly, he's predicting losses. I find that pretty amazing from a guy who's generally been a beacon of optimism/fountain of vanilla/uncontroversial comments since his retirement.

broncobryce
07-22-2010, 08:00 PM
Hmm. Seems to me he said give them time because they are young. But spin it how you want
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Denver Native (Carol)
07-22-2010, 08:25 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8193f75b/article/elway-back-with-broncos-plans-to-attend-training-camp-practices

DENVER -- John Elway is ready to get back into the NFL.

The Hall of Fame quarterback, who retired in 1999 after winning his second straight Super Bowl in Denver, is planning to attend some of the Broncos' training camp practices this summer and has agreed to help market the team's game in London in October.

Elway said he thinks Tim Tebow, the most intriguing pro prospect since Michael Vick, will do just fine in the NFL as he makes the transition from combination college quarterback to prototypical pocket passer.

"I haven't worked with him. I saw him in practice and obviously saw him when he played. I think they are focusing too much on his release. As long as he can get it out in a timely manner, I think he has plenty of arm there," Elway said.

Elway said Tebow is in the perfect place to begin his pro career because of McDaniels' experience working with quarterbacks, but he said fans are going to need plenty of patience.

Tebow attended his birthday party, Elway said, but the two didn't talk football. They will soon.

Elway also praised the way incumbent Kyle Orton has handled the offseason that saw not only the drafting of Tebow but the trade for Brady Quinn.

"I think he's done a heck of a job of handling the whole situation, accepting them and realizing that he has to compete and win football games. That's how you keep your job," Elway said. "I look for Kyle to have a good year."

Elway said he hasn't been around the Broncos enough but said eight to 10 wins would be a successful season for the team that beefed up its defensive front but also lost Pro Bowl wideout Brandon Marshall.

BroncoWave
07-22-2010, 08:32 PM
More bluntly, he's predicting losses. I find that pretty amazing from a guy who's generally been a beacon of optimism/fountain of vanilla/uncontroversial comments since his retirement.

Well unless he is picking them to go 16-0 then yes, he will be predicting some losses. And I really don't see anything controversial about predicting 8-10 wins.

Perhaps he is just trying not to put undue pressure on a young team. But go ahead and spin it as him saying that we are going to suck, even though that's not even close to what he said.

Jagsbch
07-22-2010, 08:48 PM
Elwayed played golf and said the team was young and their is a lot of hype regasrding Tebows mechanics... and?:D:D

This sounds more like coach speak.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-23-2010, 09:53 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_15582353

A triple bogey on No. 1 left No. 7 humbled, frustrated and all but finished from his golf tournament.

Yet, after taking his disappointing first-round 82 score to the Health-One Colorado Open clubhouse Thursday, John Elway regrouped and faced a throng of television cameras and print reporters, as he always had through good times and bad.

The legendary former Broncos quarterback was asked a couple of token questions about his golf game. Then he was asked about Tim Tebow.

As a former megahyped quarterback himself coming out of college, Elway didn't take long before firing off a reminder that no team, not even the Broncos of the Elway era, wins on quarterback alone.

"The focus has been on Tebow because of what he did at college, but those other young guys have to come in and play too," Elway said. "You can't expect him to do it by himself. They've had a lot of picks this year. (Demaryius) Thomas, the first-round pick and receiver, is still raw. So they've got all those guys who are going to take some time, but they have to pan out and be pretty good football players."

As for Tebow, Elway likes him. Likes him a lot. Elway even thinks Tebow's highly scrutinized throwing motion is an overblown concern.

In simple terms, most quarterbacks have a short, compact throwing motion, much like a catcher's in baseball. Tebow's delivery more resembles an outfielder's release.

"I think they're focusing too much on his release," Elway said. "As long as he can get it out of there in a timely manner, I think he has plenty of arm there.

"The one thing you can't measure — and I think where they were looking at Tim — is his intangibles. Those are things you can't coach. Those are things with his leadership abilities, his size, his ability to make plays in big games and do the unexpected — those are type things they obviously saw.

"He's not going to change his release. He may get better. Obviously, by throwing you get more accurate, and you may shorten it up as time goes on, but if it's long and quick, that's OK too."

Elway was the first Broncos player to be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame and hopes to be in Canton, Ohio, to watch the third, Floyd Little, be inducted Aug. 7. Elway is expecting his former team to be slightly better than last season, when the Broncos lost eight of their last 10 games to finish 8-8.

But to improve, Elway said the Broncos have to get more out of coach Josh McDaniels' first two draft classes. The 2009 class was primarily disappointing as rookies, and the 2010 class could have four starters this year who aren't named Tebow.

"I think there's going to be a learning curve for them because they are so young," Elway said. "Defensively, I think they feel better about where they are. Those defensive linemen should be able to come in and help them right away.

"Maybe they make eight, nine, 10 wins would be a good year, I would think. But show a little more consistency and finish the season out. The Broncos have had such a tough time the last three or four years finishing the season. That's going to have to be one of the things they'll have to break: play better at the end of the year."

Lonestar
07-23-2010, 11:58 AM

I see it as while mikey and him seemed to be estranged aftr his retirment, he kept as low a profile as he could as he still loves his TEAM even though mikey did not want/desire/need his help.

Now that Josh has reached out to him and it sounds like he will be mor involved his "vanilla" comments are less so now.

I will trust the Duke to know more about evaluating talent levels than most here.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

dogfish
07-23-2010, 02:13 PM
elway should have said tebow has a stronger arm than jay cutler-- that would've been awesome. . . . :lol::lol:

Apollo
07-25-2010, 05:29 AM

It's not as pessimistic as that. Our fans just tend to have very high expectations which will put a lot of pressure on young shoulders.