PDA

View Full Version : Darrell Reid: Why the Defense Will be Better This Year

Ziggy
07-22-2010, 01:57 AM
On an interview on 104.3 the fan, Reid says that the biggest improvement this season won't be because of anyone they brought in. He says that it will be because of Wink becoming the new D coordinator. He thinks that the Broncos will create more turnovers this season because guys will be put into position to make plays.

Scott Hastings of course, interrupts and says that the problem with the defense last season was that they were on the field too much, insinuating that it was mostly because of the offense. I love Darryl's response......" Let me tell you a secret here. I'm going to throw you a bone. The problem last year was that we could not adjust." He goes on to talk more about it, in the interview. It's a great listen.

http://www.1043thefan.com/channels/audioOnDemand/Story.aspx?ID=1255357

Part 1, in the last 2:30 or so.

Elevation inc
07-22-2010, 02:42 AM
i have always belived nolan was a bigger problem than many realize based off what i saw last year. truth be told he hasnt been good at adjusting ever as a DC or HC since baltimore....he was a good stop gap, but to be honest i wont really miss him.......

Im very excited to see what wink brings.......

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
07-22-2010, 03:56 AM
Get some, defense.

Lonestar
07-22-2010, 04:34 AM
Well I have to wonder how much wagon circling will come off of this development.

Evryone knows that nolan was the greatest thing since sliced bread except the players that is.

And his leaving would drag us down.

And of course Josh ran off the only thing that got us some wins last year.

Wagons Ho.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

BroncoBJ
07-22-2010, 04:55 AM
Not to ruin any of the happiness going on here but players always say "We'll be better" or " The Defense will be better" Or " We won't collapse again this year" .. and stuff like that. But what should they say? That our Defense will suck this year and we will miss Nolan? :lol:

I like the optimism though but I'll wait to see what happens. I am very excited to have Wink as our D Coordinator though and cant wait.

Just hope we last the whole season :rockon:

SoCalImport
07-22-2010, 05:01 AM
Ultimately, Yes. It's all talk till they take the field againsta real opponent.
However. When a current player gives a specific insight,
"The problem last year was that we could not adjust."
Then it definitely has more weight than your run of the mill "we're going to be better" type statement.
I think Mike Nolan was great for the Broncos last year, as a segway into the 3-4 Defense.
Can't wait to see what Wink brings to the field.

Dirk
07-22-2010, 05:59 AM

This :rolleyes:

Otherwise I think the defense will have a better look to it and will be a solid one. Not because Wink is the 2nd coming but because the players seem to want to play for him and have nothing but good things to say.

topscribe
07-22-2010, 10:43 AM
Yes Scott tried to offer the "wear down" excuse, but Reid was having none of it.
Reid opened up and actually gave us a glimpse as to why the Broncos effectively
jettisoned Nolan: failure to adjust to the opposing offenses.

Of course, Reid wasn't about to go into the shakeup of the linebackers and the
D-line, for obvious reasons. But Nolan is gone now, so he could address that.

In all, it was a pretty good interview on Reid's part. I liked his comments on the
rookie WRs. He said Decker achieved his numbers, having been double covered
most of the time since Decker was all his team had in college. Reid continued
that he expected Decker to make an impact this year.

Reid also had good words for Thomas, implying, not only is Thomas big, but he
is a legitimate deep threat who could leave defenders behind.

Pretty encouraging words . . .

-----

arapaho2
07-22-2010, 10:44 AM
all i know is bronco players swore bates defense would be so much improved over coyers

another thing i know is bronco players like champ swore the defense was gonna be bad ass and create turnovers under slowick:coffee: that worked out well:rolleyes:

as for not adjusting...yeah we did alot of not adjusting when the defense adjusted in the 2nd ,3rd and 4th qrts of multiple games allowing no scores and in some cases zero 3rd down conversions...or when manning was foolishly given the ball to start the game...i beleive aftert 1st qrt onslought..the defense adjusted and shut manning down until late in the game:coffee:

DALLAS....seems to me we allowed 10 1st qrt points and adjusted then shut romo out for 3.5 qrts
NE...seems to me we allowed 17 1st half points ..adjusted then held brady and the pats scoreless the entire second half

jhildebrand
07-22-2010, 10:46 AM
This time of year is ALWAYS full of optimism.

Unfortunately, Denver has gone through coordinators like like people go through socks. With each change in coordinator we always hear how the previous year's D's accomplishments will remain and the deficiencies corrected and the coordinator thrown under the bus to some degree.

The problem is no other Defensive unit had improved as much as Nolan's unit. So until it happens, I think many will remain skeptical.

Also, many point to the players' optimism and positive comments. What else is anybody going to say at this moment? :confused:

Finally, I think the most surprising thing to me is the "inability to adjust" comment. Really?? :confused: I suppose it was SHEAR luck that teams like the Pats and Cowboys were held scoreless in the second half of games and teams only had 2 or 3 first downs against us in the second half through 6 games.

jhildebrand
07-22-2010, 10:48 AM
I will bet anybody that Nolan's unit in Miami will fare better than Wink's does here!

Wink has all the advantages. However, Nolan will have a fierce D in Miami.

topscribe
07-22-2010, 10:54 AM
all i know is bronco players swore bates defense would be so much improved over coyers

another thing i know is bronco players like champ swore the defense was gonna be bad ass and create turnovers under slowick:coffee: that worked out well:rolleyes:

as for not adjusting...yeah we did alot of not adjusting when the defense adjusted in the 2nd ,3rd and 4th qrts of multiple games allowing no scores and in some cases zero 3rd down conversions...or when manning was foolishly given the ball to start the game...i beleive aftert 1st qrt onslought..the defense adjusted and shut manning down until late in the game:coffee:

DALLAS....seems to me we allowed 10 1st qrt points and adjusted then shut romo out for 3.5 qrts
NE...seems to me we allowed 17 1st half points ..adjusted then held brady and the pats scoreless the entire second half

This time of year is ALWAYS full of optimism.

Unfortunately, Denver has gone through coordinators like like people go through socks. With each change in coordinator we always hear how the previous year's D's accomplishments will remain and the deficiencies corrected and the coordinator thrown under the bus to some degree.

The problem is no other Defensive unit had improved as much as Nolan's unit. So until it happens, I think many will remain skeptical.

Also, many point to the players' optimism and positive comments. What else is anybody going to say at this moment? :confused:

Finally, I think the most surprising thing to me is the "inability to adjust" comment. Really?? :confused: I suppose it was SHEAR luck that teams like the Pats and Cowboys were held scoreless in the second half of games and teams only had 2 or 3 first downs against us in the second half through 6 games.

Well, maybe that was the part Reid couldn't go into. He didn't implicate Nolan
directly - never mentioned him, in fact. (I think one of the other guys said
something, but Reid never responded.)

But maybe part of the answer was in the area Reid didn't want to address:
that the defense couldn't adjust because they just did not have the personnel.
Which would be evident in the shakeups in the LB and DL.

So now, perhaps the Broncos have the personnel to do just that with the
influx of DLs, shifting Haggan back to the middle for his run support, and
(hopefully) the development of Ayers to the outside - and it would help
immensely if Reid can get healthy.

-----

Northman
07-22-2010, 10:57 AM
Not to ruin any of the happiness going on here but players always say "We'll be better" or " The Defense will be better" Or " We won't collapse again this year" .. and stuff like that. But what should they say? That our Defense will suck this year and we will miss Nolan? :lol:

I like the optimism though but I'll wait to see what happens. I am very excited to have Wink as our D Coordinator though and cant wait.

No shit. Hey Darrell, here's an idea. Prove it. :lol:

Nomad
07-22-2010, 11:07 AM
I'd like to see the BRONCOS adjust in the second half of the season (which seems to have been a problem the last some years now) and finish strong instead of withering away! It seems to be the same song and dance......as North said, "Prove it".

nevcraw
07-22-2010, 11:24 AM
Stopgaps and bandaids eventually give way.. Many years under shanny proved that and year 1 under McD proved the same thing. I think people put too much stock in the coach's ability to adjust schematically - if you don't have the talent on the field to react to the other team you will fail..

Dean
07-22-2010, 11:24 AM
Well, maybe that was the part Reid couldn't go into. He didn't implicate Nolan
directly - never mentioned him, in fact. (I think one of the other guys said
something, but Reid never responded.)

But maybe part of the answer was in the area Reid didn't want to address:
that the defense couldn't adjust because they just did not have the personnel.
Which would be evident in the shakeups in the LB and DL.

We were trying to play a 3-4 without a 3-4 D-line. How do you stop the run without having the people to fill the most important segment of the defense.

So now, perhaps the Broncos have the personnel to do just that with the
influx of DLs, shifting Haggan back to the middle for his run support, and
(hopefully) the development of Ayers to the outside - and it would help
immensely if Reid can get healthy.

-----

IMO the additon of true 3-4 D-linemen gives me the most hope for improvement for the coming season. Hope for an effective offense and Go Broncos!

TXBRONC
07-22-2010, 11:32 AM
IMO the additon of true 3-4 D-linemen gives me the most hope for improvement for the coming season. Hope for an effective offense and Go Broncos!

Agreed a more effecitve offense would be a big help to the defense. :salute:

Lonestar
07-22-2010, 11:32 AM
Wagons Ho.

BroncoWave
07-22-2010, 11:55 AM
I see you have a new catchphrase JR! :lol:

At least it's different than telling everyone how much they miss Shanny and Jay! :lol:

JaxBroncoGirl
07-22-2010, 12:08 PM
Nothing more exciting than to see a defense aggressively play the field. I hope the defense makes strides this year. Seeing a great hit during a game can pickup the entire team morale and the fans too. I hope the defense will come together and slam the opponents (it can happen). They must work as a unit.

Go Broncos!!!!

T.K.O.
07-22-2010, 12:25 PM
shhhhhh.....be vewy vewy kwiet......the broncos D is gonna be in the top 5 ....all year long:shocked::salute:

topscribe
07-22-2010, 12:27 PM
shhhhhh.....be vewy vewy kwiet......the broncos D is gonna be in the top 5 ....all year long:shocked::salute:

Honestly, I don't find that hard to believe. After all, they were #1 for a while last
year . . . until whatever happened . . . well, happened . . .

-----

Ravage!!!
07-22-2010, 12:51 PM
I see you have a new catchphrase JR! :lol:

At least it's different than telling everyone how much they miss Shanny and Jay! :lol:

Its the same cry. Thinking that people only criticize McD is because they miss Shananan or Jay.

topscribe
07-22-2010, 12:53 PM
Are threads going off-topic today, or am I just having trouble with reading comprehension? :confused:

-----

Denver Native (Carol)
07-22-2010, 12:59 PM
If I remember correctly, wasn't it after the Baltimore game where weekly comments from media, etc. stated that Baltimore gave the blueprint to beating the Broncos' defense? If so, Reid saying The problem last year was that we could not adjust, makes sense. If teams have figured out your defense - YOU NEED TO CHANGE IT - DON'T YOU?

Ravage!!!
07-22-2010, 01:10 PM
Stopgaps and bandaids eventually give way.. Many years under shanny proved that and year 1 under McD proved the same thing. I think people put too much stock in the coach's ability to adjust schematically - if you don't have the talent on the field to react to the other team you will fail..

Reid very well could have been talking about hte players themselves not being able to adjust to what the team was doing. Sometimes the scheme and the gameplan is right on, but the players on the field have to be smart enough to make the adjustments within their calls, to go to the right spot, to read the right guy, to fill the right hole, or to take the right angles and fill their job. If the players themselves couldn't adjust to what the other team was doing, doesn't matter who is calling the play.

Not to mention, how many times have we heard about teams going into the locker room at half time, and playing completely different the second half. Asked "what adjustments did you make".. the players respond " None. We did the same thing we have been practicing to do. We knew what they were doing, we were confident in the game plan and wWe simply executed better in the second half after getting our reads lined up."

dogfish
07-22-2010, 01:22 PM
I will bet anybody that Nolan's unit in Miami will fare better than Wink's does here!

i'll take that bet. . .

i think our personnel is comparable, and i don't see any reason to believe martindale isn't competent. . . won't know until we actually see him do it of course, but everybody has to have their first coordinator position at some point-- nolan did, so did parcells and belichick. . . martindale's a smart football guy, he's been around and worked with top defensive minds like the ryans, and he watched over nolan's shoulder last year. . . he has a strong, experienced staff (donatell and nunnelly are both accomplished veteran coaches), and one of the two best on-field captains in the game. . .

i think our defense is going to be fine. . .

Lonestar
07-22-2010, 01:24 PM
Are threads going off-topic today, or am I just having trouble with reading comprehension? :confused:

-----
well I guess I'm just not seeing it.

Anyway the ones I do see are so negative for such positive interview.

can't we all get along?

Lonestar
07-22-2010, 01:30 PM
i'll take that bet. . .

i think our personnel is comparable, and i don't see any reason to believe martindale isn't competent. . . won't know until we actually see him do it of course, but everybody has to have their first coordinator position at some point-- nolan did, so did parcells and belichick. . . martindale's a smart football guy, he's been around and worked with top defensive minds like the ryans, and he watched over nolan's shoulder last year. . . he has a strong, experienced staff (donatell and nunnelly are both accomplished veteran coaches), and one of the two best on-field captains in the game. . .

i think our defense is going to be fine. . .

:salute:
wow great post.

I read somewhere that during the blowout games many players were not covering their gaps/responsibilities but flying all over the field trying to make plays thus causing even more issues.

they called it the major reason for the melt down on D in those last 3-4 games.

If that was true then just staying at home and doing your job should cure most of those issues.

Are we going to be top 5 personally do not care would be nice but I have no such expectations. Give me a solid run defense and the rest will follow suit.

WARHORSE
07-22-2010, 01:36 PM
Reid said the reason he thought they were going to be alot better on defense wasnt necessarily because of people they brought in, but because of the coaching change of Wink from Nolan.

He said Wink was putting them into postion to make plays.....that in his opinion there will be alot more turnovers this year.

He ALSO, dictated by a roundabout way, that it was Nolan that didnt make the adjustments.

He said there were certain situations like third down and redzone, in which the defense didnt adjust.....then he threw in.....or the offense.

If its McDaniels scheme and inability to adjust, then Reid would not have said, 'we will be better this year'.

Same players pretty much. Different Dcoordinator. Reid said we will not have the same problem.

I also think that the blowout between Nolan and Josh in the Indy game was key. First half Nolan is calling run blitzes and Peyton was eating them up. Josh went off on Nolan, then in the second half we had three interceptions.

Ultimately, its the head coaches job to address situations. However, Josh cannot run both the offense and the defense on gameday.

This is legitimate inside info, and Reid named names.

He said it was the movement of Wink to DC that was going to make this defense better.

Its not like this is something that one of us said in a thread or post here.........this is one of the guys that was actually there.

I gotta agree with JR.........it sure seems like 'wagons ho!'

I mean, is anyone gonna say Reid doesnt know what hes talking about?

Incredulous.:coffee:

WARHORSE
07-22-2010, 01:41 PM

Name the wager terms.:coffee:

Is it going to be scoring? Overall defensive ranking?

Your signature rights for a month.

Miami's d will not be better than ours.

Only fierce around here will be B R O N C O S BABY!:salute:

arapaho2
07-22-2010, 02:31 PM
If I remember correctly, wasn't it after the Baltimore game where weekly comments from media, etc. stated that Baltimore gave the blueprint to beating the Broncos' defense? If so, Reid saying The problem last year was that we could not adjust, makes sense. If teams have figured out your defense - YOU NEED TO CHANGE IT - DON'T YOU?

actually the common idea was the ravens game gave other teams the blueprint to limiting the broncos offese because they figured out we dont go deep

in fact the ravens def players were quoted after the game saying how easy it was to play us because they didnt bite on the deep stuff and targeted everything underneath

Northman
07-22-2010, 03:20 PM
Having watched it live they killed us in every aspect but set the tone early when they sacked Orton on the first play. Even with that the defense kept us in the game in the first half only to watch the offense and ST's give up the ghost. From there it was total bloodshed.

Bosco
07-22-2010, 04:01 PM
all i know is bronco players swore bates defense would be so much improved over coyers We'll never know because we only ran his offense for 6 weeks before Shanny effectively cut his balls off and handed over control to his buddy Slowik.

another thing i know is bronco players like champ swore the defense was gonna be bad ass and create turnovers under slowick:coffee: that worked out well:rolleyes: Slowik is a very good DB coach and had a pretty big hand in our secondary's improvement, so I can see why Champ would have said that.

Could we use a repeat of that with Wink? Sure could, but unlike Slowik he doesn't come with a long line of failure as a DC and didn't get the job simply because he was the coach's buddy.

as for not adjusting...yeah we did alot of not adjusting when the defense adjusted in the 2nd ,3rd and 4th qrts of multiple games allowing no scores and in some cases zero 3rd down conversions

Again, Nolan's calling card. He does real good to start the season but once teams get the book on him he has a real tough time throwing new looks at them.

Want to know why he's changed work addresses so many times over the years? There ya go.

...or when manning was foolishly given the ball to start the game...i beleive aftert 1st qrt onslought..the defense adjusted and shut manning down until late in the game:coffee: That wasn't Nolan adjusting, it was Manning going into ball control mode to protect his injury depleted secondary. Once the game was close he turned it back on and marched right down the field on us.

jhildebrand
07-22-2010, 04:24 PM

Sounds like fun. One month! Overall D with scoring D being a tie breaker (not likely needed). My guess is Miami will be better in: overall, turnovers, passing, and rushing D.

jhildebrand
07-22-2010, 04:28 PM
Anyway the ones I do see are so negative for such positive interview.

Jr, there was nothing negative with my post or take. I just quit buying the company line hook line and sinker about 4 DC's ago. Quite honestly, I am surprised Pat stood by for so many DC's. At some point you need stability there.

Also, I love hearing the optimism from the players. I just take it with a grain of salt. This is like groundhog day for us. We heard Champ rave about Slo. It never panned out. We heard people rave about Bates-it didn't pan out. We heard people go on about Rhoades. Same ol same ol. While I admire Reids optimisim I just want to see their actions do the talking.

Finally, if it makes you feel better, everything begins anew for me the day camp starts! It will be a new season, a new outlook, and the past will be the past. Even the sig will go!

Bosco
07-22-2010, 04:53 PM
Jr, there was nothing negative with my post or take. I just quit buying the company line hook line and sinker about 4 DC's ago. Quite honestly, I am surprised Pat stood by for so many DC's. At some point you need stability there. Hell, we didn't have stability even when we did have stability. Coyer ran vastly different defenses every year he was here to accommodate the square pegs Shanny was trying to pound into round holes.

At least Wink is going to be using the same philosophy we began installing under Nolan.

jhildebrand
07-22-2010, 05:12 PM
At least Wink is going to be using the same philosophy we began installing under Nolan.

So we are told. Its not that I don't believe it but I simply want to see it.

arapaho2
07-22-2010, 05:23 PM
We'll never know because we only ran his offense for 6 weeks before Shanny effectively cut his balls off and handed over control to his buddy Slowik.

Slowik is a very good DB coach and had a pretty big hand in our secondary's improvement, so I can see why Champ would have said that.

Could we use a repeat of that with Wink? Sure could, but unlike Slowik he doesn't come with a long line of failure as a DC and didn't get the job simply because he was the coach's buddy.

Again, Nolan's calling card. He does real good to start the season but once teams get the book on him he has a real tough time throwing new looks at them.

Want to know why he's changed work addresses so many times over the years? There ya go.

That wasn't Nolan adjusting, it was Manning going into ball control mode to protect his injury depleted secondary. Once the game was close he turned it back on and marched right down the field on us.

and it needed to be done..bates was given full controll of the defense...and by week 6 it was apparent he failed....

cause he's in high demand:cool:

Lonestar
07-22-2010, 05:42 PM
We'll never know because we only ran his offense for 6 weeks before Shanny effectively cut his balls off and handed over control to his buddy Slowik.

Slowik is a very good DB coach and had a pretty big hand in our secondary's improvement, so I can see why Champ would have said that.

That wasn't Nolan adjusting, it was Manning going into ball control mode to protect his injury depleted secondary. Once the game was close he turned it back on and marched right down the field on us.

there was never any doubt in my mind that hiring Bates was someone elses IDEA rather than mikes.
WHY would he:

promote slowick to DC one week

then have an impromptu hiring of an Assistant head coach defense the next week.

mike has never had an outside DC that he has gotten chummy with.

A. Most were "name" guys that already had reps

B. lasted a couple of years if that long.

Champ was on record saying that slowick was a great coach and was looking forward to working with him.

drafting 3 count them 3 DL types in the same draft. not sure mike ever drafted 3 DL type s in one decade;), opposed to one draft and certainly not as high as they were. #1, 2 and a 4 IIRC

It was apparent to all with half a brain, that the D was dragging it feet in adapting to the new scheme as they knew that their buddy Slowitt was DC in waiting.

It has always been my contention that Pat forced him into hiring a name DC that had success elsewhere and mikey gave him just enough rope to hang himself. Drafting three rookies and expecting them to pick it up and be great inside of 6-8 weeks.

Mikey knew that it was doomed for failure so allowed it to happen. All the while having his bud slowitt, whisper in some ears that if they did not get it by mid season Bates would be gone.

I have no doubt in my mind about that.

Yes, it is because some think I hate mikey :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:. But I believe that mike was able to justify the poor start on D to having someone forced upon him. Therefore the greater good of having an outside interloper gone, was a stake.

It was all upside the outsider was gone and his buddy slowitt got the "real" job forthwith and in the mean time taught Pat to butt out of his operation.

I also believe that Pat insisted on having an experienced DC be brought on board in Joshes first year to help revamp the D into a 3-4 without having someone like nolan to do that would have overwhelmed ANY newbie HC.

Lonestar
07-22-2010, 05:59 PM
Jr, there was nothing negative with my post or take. I just quit buying the company line hook line and sinker about 4 DC's ago. Quite honestly, I am surprised Pat stood by for so many DC's. At some point you need stability there.

Also, I love hearing the optimism from the players. I just take it with a grain of salt. This is like groundhog day for us. We heard Champ rave about Slo. It never panned out. We heard people rave about Bates-it didn't pan out. We heard people go on about Rhoades. Same ol same ol. While I admire Reids optimisim I just want to see their actions do the talking.

Finally, if it makes you feel better, everything begins anew for me the day camp starts! It will be a new season, a new outlook, and the past will be the past. Even the sig will go!

again WAS my post directed AT you. Me thinks you have a guilty conscience.

I agree about the DC merry go round we have had since the super bowl years.

NO ISSUES with that whatsoever.

But when I hear a player that has nothing to gain talk about it should be "better"for the reasons listed, almost every Josh bash son of gun circles the wagons to squash something positive, that he said.

Sure talk is cheap but Instead of listening to opinions from wanna be player, fantasy football owners, arm chair QB's or reporters that may have an agenda , why is it so hard to believe that nolan was not all he was cracked up to be?

If he had been a long term DC somewhere and had a great track record doing it then maybe I would have been upset when he left.

But the records show that he had a good year or two with teams and then moved on was it always mutually agreed upon then also?

He stunk it up in SFO especially on D supposedly his forte as a HC. One would have thought he would have been a bit more humble and taken constructive criticism from his BOSS (if reports were indeed true).

He had it made here IMHO setting up the program with the PLAYERS he wanted starting from almost scratch he could have just about owned the city by helping Josh win a lot of games. THEN perhaps been given another shot as a HC some where else. For that matter if Josh would have fell on his face and his D was working he would have been a shoe in for the job here.

But something went wrong somewhere we may never know for sure, but EGOs Obviously got in the way, and I doubt it was just Joshes.

Northman
07-22-2010, 08:23 PM
So we are told. Its not that I don't believe it but I simply want to see it.

Which is what a majority of us have been saying in this thread. Bottom line, right now for the Denver Broncos when it comes to defense talk is very cheap and every year there is a player who says it will be different. When i as a fan actually see it, than i will believe it. Until then, its empty words.

broncofaninfla
07-22-2010, 08:49 PM
Does anybody think Reid would say anything negitive about Mcds offense? Hell no, that would be suicide for him. So he takes a shot at the coach that isn't here anymore, one that Mcd didn't like, public kissing of the bosses azz.

As for Wink, I think it was the best option available but only time will tell. Wink has mucho respect from coaches and players in the AFC West and throughout the leauge. I'm thinking he'll be a good DC for Denver.

jhildebrand
07-22-2010, 09:07 PM
Slowik is a very good DB coach

I beg to differ. I think most GB fans would too.

jhildebrand
07-22-2010, 09:10 PM
He stunk it up in SFO especially on D supposedly his forte as a HC.

So what's McD's excuse for stinking it up here as a HC when his forte is O? :confused:

Denver Native (Carol)
07-22-2010, 09:12 PM
Well, of course Reid was doing public kissing of the bosses azz. I am sure Coach McD has personally let every Bronco player know that he is listening to FM104.3TheFan DAILY, so if they know what is good for them, they will speak nicely of him, as well as anyone else in the organization :tsk: :tsk:

Northman
07-22-2010, 10:02 PM
So what's McD's excuse for stinking it up here as a HC when his forte is O? :confused:

Well see, McD gets a pass because he didnt have the right scheme in place through no fault of his own. However, Nolan doesnt get a pass because he didnt have any real pass rushers in place but Nolan is supposed to wave a magic wand and overhaul the weakest part of the team in one year while McD took a offense that carried the team in 08' and made them worse. Come on man, get with the program. :lol:

Lonestar
07-22-2010, 10:20 PM
I beg to differ. I think most GB fans would too.

IIRC he was never a DB Coach there but only a DC for ashore time but I could be wrong. or maybe I have him mixed up with someone else.

Lonestar
07-22-2010, 10:32 PM
So what's McD's excuse for stinking it up here as a HC when his forte is O? :confused: not sure what you are not getting out an compelte change in scheme and for the most part personnel.

I realize that you think they should be firing on all cylinders by game 4-5 fovea but that just is not the case.

YOU are smart enough to know the reason for failure last year if YOU really want me to spell them out again I will.

in a normal season the offense is almost always 4-5 weeks behind the defenses as they are more complex than the D is.

At least that has been my experience in watching the Broncos for 50 years an watching other NFL teams prior to that. Plus playing it for almost a decade before that.

You can't have a screw up on Offense like you can on D because timing is everything. On D if you blip it there is almost always someone behind your to cover your ass. Not so on O and to say the least Joshes O is one of the more complex int eh business. IIRC CAsey when he left made a comment that as long as he had been in the game he had never seen one this complex.

ANyway I think everyones expectations were a tad high last year. I always said I expected better things this year after a 4-6 win season last year.

So while I was disappointed in the standings last year I was not crushed like some seem to have been.

Hope that makes sense.

Bosco
07-23-2010, 12:13 AM
and it needed to be done..bates was given full controll of the defense...and by week 6 it was apparent he failed....

So why did he give Slowik a year and a half to turn the defense around when he only have Bates six weeks, especially considering Slowik actually made it worse?

WARHORSE
07-23-2010, 12:45 AM
Sounds like fun. One month! Overall D with scoring D being a tie breaker (not likely needed). My guess is Miami will be better in: overall, turnovers, passing, and rushing D.

Great. Who do we use for the final overall defensive rankings?

NFL.com?

WARHORSE
07-23-2010, 12:52 AM

Lets see.

A complicated scheme in which the QB has multiple check downs on every play.........

Tom Brady, who had years in the system, vs Orton, who was in his first year..........(a career year at that).

Welker, Moss, Gaffney.........vs Marshall (minus two games) Gaffney, Royal...two of those guys in their first year.

Rookie RB.........a whole offense new to scheme........hmmmm.......may have had something to do with it.

Lonestar
07-23-2010, 01:11 AM
Lets see.

A complicated scheme in which the QB has multiple check downs on every play.........

Tom Brady, who had years in the system, vs Orton, who was in his first year..........(a career year at that).

Welker, Moss, Gaffney.........vs Marshall (minus two games) Gaffney, Royal...two of those guys in their first year.

Rookie RB.........a whole offense new to scheme........hmmmm.......may have had something to do with it.

not good enough you will have to prove it with in the theory of relativity.

Elevation inc
07-23-2010, 02:49 AM

i agree with this philosophy, but on a personal level i never belived once last year that nolan was the end all for us, he is a good 3-4 architect, but i dont belive his 3-4 philosophy is actually entirelly up to today's standards.....a personal opinion that is all....i had no problem with him here last year, and i have no problem with him going to miami.....wink still has alot to prove. but i like his chances....especially with doom locked up now.....

TXBRONC
07-23-2010, 10:27 AM
Which is what a majority of us have been saying in this thread. Bottom line, right now for the Denver Broncos when it comes to defense talk is very cheap and every year there is a player who says it will be different. When i as a fan actually see it, than i will believe it. Until then, its empty words.

Some people act like it's a major shock when player publicly talks up the defense he's playing on. I expect that some of the players are going to come out every year and tell me how much better they will be but I take with a grain salt. It doesn't mean that they are lying it's just that the proof is in what happens on the field.

Northman
07-23-2010, 10:29 AM
Some people act like it's a major shock when player publicly talks up the defense he's playing on. I expect that some of the players are going to come out every year and tell me how much better they will be but I take with a grain salt. It doesn't mean that they are lying it's just that the proof is in what happens on the field.

Exactly. Its par for the course because the media knows how bad this defense has been the last few years so when a new guy takes over the players believe its going to be better (which is good) but until it actually happens on a consistent basis throughout the year its just talk.

jhildebrand
07-23-2010, 10:34 AM
Lets see.

This wasn't about Orton and our players vs Brady and the Pats! :elefant:

Once again we see all the excuses in the world afforded to McDaniels and his unit YET NONE of those EXCUSES are even nominally valid for Nolan and his D.

If anything your point is giving the majority of McDaniels success and credit in NE to the players and not McD.

Afterall, Nolan had a new scheme, new coaches, new city, new DE playing a new position, an old DE playing a new position, tons of FA's new to the system. :lol:

Even if we stick to the argument he did nothing on D as HC in SF despite D being his forte one could argue that easily as well.

jhildebrand
07-23-2010, 10:35 AM
Great. Who do we use for the final overall defensive rankings?

NFL.com?

I usually use ESPN.com. I am open to NFL.com if you are.

jhildebrand
07-23-2010, 10:37 AM
IIRC he was never a DB Coach there but only a DC for ashore time but I could be wrong. or maybe I have him mixed up with someone else.

He was the DC and worked with the DB's in Green Bay on the 4th and 26 play against Philly in the playoffs :lol:

jhildebrand
07-23-2010, 10:43 AM
not sure what you are not getting out an compelte change in scheme and for the most part personnel.

I like you Jrwiz, but I didn't know you to be such a good dancer :lol:

That was some mighty fine dancing you did to dodge the very obvious point of my post.

Once again you are affording McDaniels every excuse and "reason" yet not applying those very same excuses and reasons to Nolan despite the fact they are just as valid for him be it here or in SF.

arapaho2
07-23-2010, 10:53 AM
So why did he give Slowik a year and a half to turn the defense around when he only have Bates six weeks, especially considering Slowik actually made it worse?

because slowick was shannies bro....dude im not fighting you,,shanny was loyal to his friends,,sometimes to the detriment of the team

bates shoulod have been given a chance....ansd slow should have never been considered

broncofaninfla
07-23-2010, 02:03 PM
Well, of course Reid was doing public kissing of the bosses azz. I am sure Coach McD has personally let every Bronco player know that he is listening to FM104.3TheFan DAILY, so if they know what is good for them, they will speak nicely of him, as well as anyone else in the organization :tsk: :tsk:

My point was here is a guy who is no lock to make the team when you combine his salary, performance and current injury status. To take the bait and criticize the offense would be suicide. Trust me ANY critical statements will make it back to the boss. Instead he did the smart thing and threw a parting shot at Nolan and praised Wink. Of course the People with blind love with all things Mcd jumped on Nolan because of these remarks but that is to be expected. I liked Nolan, still feel he was the best coach on staff last year but he's a Fin now and I truly feel he'll kick azz there. I also like Wink and feel he is a good fit at DC for Denver.
Because I'm sure it will come up.... I don't have blind love nor hate for Mcd. I just don't respect his body of work as a head coach just yet. I praise him when I feel he merits praise and criticize him when I don't agree with him. I love the Denver Broncos but that doesn't mean the head coach isn't above criticism. Shanny wasn't and neither is Mcd. The difference for me is I respected Shanny, Mcd has yet to earn that from me.

Lonestar
07-23-2010, 02:26 PM
I like you Jrwiz, but I didn't know you to be such a good dancer :lol:

That was some mighty fine dancing you did to dodge the very obvious point of my post.

Once again you are affording McDaniels every excuse and "reason" yet not applying those very same excuses and reasons to Nolan despite the fact they are just as valid for him be it here or in SF.

not sure what your contention was.

BUT lets try and clarify something here.

Josh had a brand new scheme with a brand new team, QB coaches every thing. both on D as well as O.

nolan had much the same new players, team coaches.

He did an admirable job of getting the D up and running and to have them ranked in the top 3 IIRC going into the bye.

but there after they slid and in the last few weeks they were actually worse than the year before statistically.

What does that tell me? that he choose the wrong folks for the squad and there is little doubt that he was given a pretty wide latittude of picking the players and starting whom he thought could do the job. That is not to say that there were not better players and perhaps JOSH or or that matter Pat would not allow it.

but the fact of the matter was he picked fields from his old team and installed him as the starter. Did he have other choices hell I do not know but start him HE DID.

IMO that tells me he had a lot of authority to pick and choose who he wanted with in his budget.

lets get one thing straight DEFENSEs always jell faster thatn Offenses do always it is almost the 4-6 week before the offenses strat to get ahead of the d's unless of course your a INDY that has had the same starters since God created Manning.

Now as for Josh IMO he is a Offensive WHIZ kid everyone says it and from what I have seen it seems to be true.

why did the O fubar last year it was not from a lack of trying. maybe to much to fast trying use a ZBS designed oline to run PBS, IMO that was a mistake but I firmly believe he did it because he was assured by Rick and the players they could bulk up and handle it.

I do not think for a minute he just proclaimed it so and charged on. oNly an idiot would do that and even YOU do not think he is an idiot.

IMO it was DUMB to think that Rick knew anything about coaching anything BUT ZBS. But then rick is one of the smartest coaches in the league. who knows what happened.

I do know that Josh learned from any mistake made last year and has moved ahead with some really great looking prospects to fix the OLINE lets hope they all work out.

I realize that you and a few other think that nolan walked on water and it was all the O's fault last year but most of us realize that it takes time to make changes and are willing to give them the time to iron out the wrinkles.

anything else you want to know?

Bosco
07-23-2010, 04:04 PM
because slowick was shannies bro....dude im not fighting you,,shanny was loyal to his friends,,sometimes to the detriment of the team

bates shoulod have been given a chance....ansd slow should have never been considered

Sorry man. Been a long day around here.

WARHORSE
07-26-2010, 07:17 AM
I usually use ESPN.com. I am open to NFL.com if you are.

NFL it is. Good luck............but not too good. ;)

WARHORSE
07-26-2010, 07:24 AM
This wasn't about Orton and our players vs Brady and the Pats! :elefant:

Once again we see all the excuses in the world afforded to McDaniels and his unit YET NONE of those EXCUSES are even nominally valid for Nolan and his D.

If anything your point is giving the majority of McDaniels success and credit in NE to the players and not McD.

Afterall, Nolan had a new scheme, new coaches, new city, new DE playing a new position, an old DE playing a new position, tons of FA's new to the system. :lol:

Even if we stick to the argument he did nothing on D as HC in SF despite D being his forte one could argue that easily as well.

I was responding to you saying what was McDs excuse for stinking it up on offense.

Maybe I should have taken the time to say, I dont believe he stunk it up.

I dont think he lit it up either mind you, but all Im saying is, does anyone expect a team in that situation to hit on all cylinders?

Not really.......but if they did, it would be an exceptional situation.

I do believe McD got the most out of Kyle Orton considering all things, and believe Kyle will be even better this year.

And since we're dishing out excuses, why are you blaming McD for the offense when hes not the one strapping on the pads on sundays?;)

Its team game, and frankly, our offense was not a team in any sense of the word last year, and alot of that had to do with malcontents and a young HC digging his heels in, looking to establish authority in the lockeroom.

Not saying it was pretty, but I am saying it will be prettier this year imo.....

jhildebrand
07-26-2010, 11:01 AM
I was responding to you saying what was McDs excuse for stinking it up on offense.

Maybe I should have taken the time to say, I dont believe he stunk it up.

I dont think he lit it up either mind you, but all Im saying is, does anyone expect a team in that situation to hit on all cylinders?

Not really.......but if they did, it would be an exceptional situation.

I do believe McD got the most out of Kyle Orton considering all things, and believe Kyle will be even better this year.

And since we're dishing out excuses, why are you blaming McD for the offense when hes not the one strapping on the pads on sundays?;)

Its team game, and frankly, our offense was not a team in any sense of the word last year, and alot of that had to do with malcontents and a young HC digging his heels in, looking to establish authority in the lockeroom.

Not saying it was pretty, but I am saying it will be prettier this year imo.....

I don't disgaree with anything you said, War. However, how does anything you just posted not apply to Nolan during his time here or in SF? :confused:

The fact is it does. Jr, was trying to insist that McDaniels situation here is somehow unique or different.

Lonestar
07-26-2010, 11:45 AM
I don't disgaree with anything you said, War. However, how does anything you just posted not apply to Nolan during his time here or in SF? :confused:

The fact is it does. Jr, was trying to insist that McDaniels situation here is somehow unique or different.

The offense is much more complex than the D which IF you stay in your position/gap takes care of the problem and if you do not there is another layer of players behind you.

The only thing complex is who is coming on a blitz and who is not and frankly with doom rushing all the time that also was academic.

Whereas the O is much more complex especially the crossing patterans of the receivers.
If one of them runs or times the break wrong it screws the whole play.

There was an article or comment made that one of the reasons they went to a lot of bubble screens late in the year was becuase it seemed to be one of the plays that BM could not screw up as earlier in the year the WR were miss timing the patterans. IIRC 30% was the number I seem to recall.

That does not even take into account all the issues on the OLINE.

Now I'm not saying that the O was great or even good but considering the change in scheme and complexity of it I just do not understand why Y'all remotely thought it would be in the first year.

arapaho2
07-26-2010, 12:20 PM
The offense is much more complex than the D which IF you stay in your position/gap takes care of the problem and if you do not there is another layer of players behind you.

The only thing complex is who is coming on a blitz and who is not and frankly with doom rushing all the time that also was academic.

Whereas the O is much more complex especially the crossing patterans of the receivers.
If one of them runs or times the break wrong it screws the whole play.

There was an article or comment made that one of the reasons they went to a lot of bubble screens late in the year was becuase it seemed to be one of the plays that BM could not screw up as earlier in the year the WR were miss timing the patterans. IIRC 30% was the number I seem to recall.

That does not even take into account all the issues on the OLINE.

Now I'm not saying that the O was great or even good but considering the change in scheme and complexity of it I just do not understand why Y'all remotely thought it would be in the first year.

so now the excuse is...we ran a huge amount of easily diagnosed bubble screens because the wr who led the team in yards and catches for the previous two seasons..was screwing up the patterns

poor orton:lol::lol::lol:

atwater27
07-26-2010, 12:28 PM
so now the excuse is...we ran a huge amount of easily diagnosed bubble screens because the wr who led the team in yards and catches for the previous two seasons..was screwing up the patterns

poor orton:lol::lol::lol:

LMAO!!! Man, some people go through some great pains, amazing concoctions and tireless roundabout/vaguely point reinforcing research to defend their young Napoleon, don't they.

Lonestar
07-26-2010, 12:35 PM
LMAO!!! Man, some people go through some great pains, amazing concoctions and tireless roundabout/vaguely point reinforcing research to defend their young Napoleon, don't they.

And some go to extremes to attack him.

Perhaps it is somewhere in the middle.

He is not mikey and nikey is not coming back.

Josh is the HC like it or not and probably will be for a long time.

FWIW probably the same size Napleon that mikey was just a different scheme and less power. So really who was Napleon afterall.

atwater27
07-26-2010, 12:37 PM
Josh is the HC like it or not and probably will be for a long time.

We'll see about that...

Lonestar
07-26-2010, 01:44 PM
We'll see about that...

yes only time will tell.

But since YOU do not get a Vote I'm believeing in Pat to do the right thing.

WARHORSE
07-26-2010, 01:53 PM

Oh.

;)

atwater27
07-26-2010, 01:57 PM
JRWIZ.....

You know, the funniest thing about your Shanahatred and McLovin is this.....

If Shanahan drafted a QB like Tebow, you would have flipped the **** out, handed him his ass, openly called him out to a duel.

So your little Napoleon drafts him, and nto only do you embrace the pick as brilliant, but you change your avy and such to worship a guy who not only hasn't thrown an NFL pass, but has been (fairly or unfairly) openly thought of and talked about by coaches, scouts and analysts as a dreadful reach with major mechanics problems who will never pan out at the NFL level.

But it's ok, they are just naysayers. The only opinion that matters is Napoleon.

topscribe
07-26-2010, 02:04 PM

And others go through some great pains, amazing concoctions and tireless
roundabout/vaguely point reinforcing research to bash "young Napoleon," don't
they?

I'm not as big a fan of McDaniels' as some here, but do we have to endure ridicule
simply because we do like somebody?

-----

nevcraw
07-26-2010, 02:08 PM
Enduring redicule is wonderful sign that you are indeed alive.

atwater27
07-26-2010, 02:08 PM
they?

I'm not as big a fan of McDaniels' as some here, but do we have to endure ridicule

-----

Not at all. I was just pointing out, again, the great pains (etc.) some people go through to defend the second year, unproven coach. Now if you have an example of someone going throught the same exhaustive process to bash him, feel free to point it out.

topscribe
07-26-2010, 02:14 PM
Not at all. I was just pointing out, again, the great pains (etc.) some people go through to defend the second year, unproven coach. Now if you have an example of someone going throught the same exhaustive process to bash him, feel free to point it out.

We have a board full of them. Just close your eyes and point.

Are we all having fun here, ridiculing, flaming, and baiting each other? Is this what
a football message board is all about? Because it isn't what I had envisioned back
in August 2007 when we were getting it started.

If we're going to debate McDaniels, let's talk about McDaniels. If we're going to
debate Orton, let's talk about Orton. But then, maybe I'm being too idealistic . . .

-----

Lonestar
07-26-2010, 02:35 PM
JRWIZ.....

You know, the funniest thing about your Shanahatred and McLovin is this.....

If Shanahan drafted a QB like Tebow, you would have flipped the **** out, handed him his ass, openly called him out to a duel.

So your little Napoleon drafts him, and nto only do you embrace the pick as brilliant, but you change your avy and such to worship a guy who not only hasn't thrown an NFL pass, but has been (fairly or unfairly) openly thought of and talked about by coaches, scouts and analysts as a dreadful reach with major mechanics problems who will never pan out at the NFL level.

But it's ok, they are just naysayers. The only opinion that matters is Napoleon.

wow how little YOU know about me.

but then beleive what you want.

Josh was no more a Napleiopn thnan mikey was infact if you really see what is going on in Dove Valley less so because he does not have total control that mikey had.

That is not tosay he has not gotten most of what he has asked for But then we do not even know that do we.? Since lots of stuff goes on behind closed doors. WE do not know IF Pat is allowing him to free spend like he did with mikey, or if Xman and Joe are allowing him to get the players he really wants.

Now IF you know diffenret then show a link to a credible source.

Just because I have embraced the new Head coach and QB does not mean that I will not if and when he does something stupid will not call him on it..

Back way back in 04 or so I was a total believer in mikey till someone told me he was a liar.that he was not all that he was cracked up to be and that set me out on a quest to disprove him.

Well when I did do the research I found out he was correct and from that point ON have been a show me Kind of guy. Then I went back and compared his end of year pressers that used to be on the Broncos sites they were verbatim for a couple of years. we are just a couple of players away

when I went back and looked at how many players actaully made it to the final year of their rookie contracts I was floor at how many DAFT choices were cut by that final year.

Thatt my friend was when I started my QUEST for getting a REAL GM, mike could stay as HC. But personnel matters, contracts, scouting would be done and responsible to the GM.

Having the GM ask hey mike what do you need I'll go find one for you. then teh TWO setting down and agreeing to the player.

Each year mike cost this team 6-15 million against the cap with dead money for players long since departed. Now I do not know about other teams but we blew alot of money on bad players. NOR DO I care.

Did that perhaps cost us the ability to pick up mega stars when it was FA time?

But mikey always wanted to get the used but decent defensive guys to fill roster spots and NEVER hired a worth while DC or coaches. HE was only worried about Offense. ANd specail Teams taht was always a joke on those team.

Once he lost his super bowl players he lost his MOJO.

arapaho2
07-26-2010, 04:29 PM
they?

-----

do others have to be accused of waiting for elway to return....or still mad over shannahan?

same boat top...just differant paddlers

topscribe
07-26-2010, 04:33 PM
do others have to be accused of waiting for elway to return....or still mad over shannahan?

same boat top...just differant paddlers

Not sure what you're getting at: Your post is not all that intelligible to me, anyway
(maybe my cognitive level is not up to par today?).

But if you are talking about me, I agree with Shanahan's dismissal, as I indicated
in another thread, and I am not overly excited about McDaniels, as I indicated in
this one.

So I agree with your assessment, the one where you misspelled "different." :D

-----

arapaho2
07-26-2010, 04:49 PM
Not sure what you're getting at: Your post is not all that intelligible to me, anyway
(maybe my cognitive level is not up to par today?).

But if you are talking about me, I agree with Shanahan's dismissal, as I indicated
in another thread, and I am not overly excited about McDaniels, as I indicated in
this one.

So I agree with your assessment, the one where you misspelled "different." :D

-----

not you top...more like jr...and a few others who profess every single post that shows a little dislike of a situation concerning the broncos is because we still miss elway..or shanny...or cutler...you know

atwater27
07-26-2010, 05:10 PM
wow how little YOU know about me.

but then beleive what you want.

Josh was no more a Napleiopn thnan mikey was infact if you really see what is going on in Dove Valley less so because he does not have total control that mikey had.

That is not tosay he has not gotten most of what he has asked for But then we do not even know that do we.? Since lots of stuff goes on behind closed doors. WE do not know IF Pat is allowing him to free spend like he did with mikey, or if Xman and Joe are allowing him to get the players he really wants.

Now IF you know diffenret then show a link to a credible source.

Just because I have embraced the new Head coach and QB does not mean that I will not if and when he does something stupid will not call him on it..

Back way back in 04 or so I was a total believer in mikey till someone told me he was a liar.that he was not all that he was cracked up to be and that set me out on a quest to disprove him.

Well when I did do the research I found out he was correct and from that point ON have been a show me Kind of guy. Then I went back and compared his end of year pressers that used to be on the Broncos sites they were verbatim for a couple of years. we are just a couple of players away

when I went back and looked at how many players actaully made it to the final year of their rookie contracts I was floor at how many DAFT choices were cut by that final year.

Thatt my friend was when I started my QUEST for getting a REAL GM, mike could stay as HC. But personnel matters, contracts, scouting would be done and responsible to the GM.

Having the GM ask hey mike what do you need I'll go find one for you. then teh TWO setting down and agreeing to the player.

Each year mike cost this team 6-15 million against the cap with dead money for players long since departed. Now I do not know about other teams but we blew alot of money on bad players. NOR DO I care.

Did that perhaps cost us the ability to pick up mega stars when it was FA time?

But mikey always wanted to get the used but decent defensive guys to fill roster spots and NEVER hired a worth while DC or coaches. HE was only worried about Offense. ANd specail Teams taht was always a joke on those team.

Once he lost his super bowl players he lost his MOJO.

I'll say it again, because you failed to adress it.

If Shanahan drafted tebow, you would have crucified him.

Since McDaniels drafted him, he is the second coming of Christ.

Slick
07-26-2010, 05:54 PM
not you top...more like jr...and a few others who profess every single post that shows a little dislike of a situation concerning the broncos is because we still miss elway..or shanny...or cutler...you know

That needs to stop. It has run it's course. It is more than acceptable to dislike a coaching move or front office decision without having that thrown in your face.

TXBRONC
07-26-2010, 06:27 PM
That needs to stop. It has run it's course. It is more than acceptable to dislike a coaching move or front office decision without having that thrown in your face.

It's divisive.

Lonestar
07-26-2010, 08:14 PM
I'll say it again, because you failed to adress it.

If Shanahan drafted tebow, you would have crucified him.

Since McDaniels drafted him, he is the second coming of Christ.

Let me make this perfectly clear,

you are full of

BOVINE EXCREMENT.

atwater27
07-26-2010, 11:58 PM

you are full of

BOVINE EXCREMENT.

Proved my point.

dogfish
07-27-2010, 01:22 AM

you are full of

BOVINE EXCREMENT.

so JR, what are you trying to say here?

i didn't quite catch it. . . . :laugh:

pnbronco
07-27-2010, 01:40 AM
so JR, what are you trying to say here?

i didn't quite catch it. . . . :laugh:

I know all I could see what that great pink..........:lol:

TXBRONC
07-27-2010, 08:39 AM
I know all I could see what that great pink..........:lol:

Is it pink or chartreuse?

jhildebrand
08-05-2010, 09:53 PM

No backing down now War. Also, a month in my book is 31 days :D

jhildebrand
08-05-2010, 09:54 PM
NFL it is. Good luck............but not too good. ;)

By the way, you never take bets like that ;) Its bad mojo for the home team.

jhildebrand
08-09-2010, 11:01 PM
No backing down now War. Also, a month in my book is 31 days :D

Why you ducking me smalls? WAR, I know you are out there! Do you want your sig now or do you still have hope?

WARHORSE
08-09-2010, 11:06 PM
Why you ducking me smalls? WAR, I know you are out there! Do you want your sig now or do you still have hope?

Heh!

Are you kidding me?

Im a B R O N C O S fan son.

Id rather lose betting on the Broncos than win betting on the FISH.

I give no quarter, dont I dont ask for none.

BRONCOS BABY!!:salute::salute:

Let the gnashing of teeth begin fishhead.:salute:

jhildebrand
08-10-2010, 10:26 AM
Heh!

Are you kidding me?

Im a B R O N C O S fan son.

Id rather lose betting on the Broncos than win betting on the FISH.

I give no quarter, dont I dont ask for none.

BRONCOS BABY!!:salute::salute:

Let the gnashing of teeth begin fishhead.:salute:

Fair enough. Have it your way! You just added to your own sig :D

jhildebrand
09-13-2010, 11:18 AM
Miami currently sits atop the Overall D rankings. :coffee:

arapaho2
09-13-2010, 11:32 AM

and we're down 5 spots already

dogfish
09-13-2010, 01:19 PM

it takes a real powerhouse D to shut down buffalo. . .

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Northman
09-13-2010, 01:20 PM
We still didnt improve unfortuantely. Thats not a good thing.

jhildebrand
09-13-2010, 01:30 PM
it takes a real powerhouse D to shut down buffalo. . .

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

They can't help who they play Besides this is the NFL. I remember the hapless Lions going apeshit on our Broncos a few years ago. Anybody can score and run it up on anybody.

Also, the last time I checked, the Jags weren't exactly an offensive powerhouse.

dogfish
09-13-2010, 01:45 PM
any way we can get a sample size larger than ONE GAME before we start making serious comparisons?

jhildebrand
09-13-2010, 01:50 PM
any way we can get a sample size larger than ONE GAME before we start making serious comparisons?

Check back in week 16 :D

I think my motivations for bumping this thread were more than obvious.

Northman
09-13-2010, 01:52 PM

Well, to be honest im going off the last 9 or so games dating back to last year.

Grover
09-13-2010, 02:12 PM
Posted September 4, 2010, 9:30 am MT
Surprise: Darrell Reid cut
By MIKE KLIS
The Broncos are in the process of making cuts and one of the morning surprises was Darrell Reid, who as an outside linebacker had four sacks last year and as a special teams player was among the team’s two or three best.
Reid is coming off knee surgery that made him an ideal candidate for the PUP (physically unable to perform) list, which would have given him six additional weeks in the regular season to get right.
It’s possible the Broncos decided they couldn’t take a chance on Reid’s recovery in light of the $1.73 million salary that would have been guaranteed once he was placed on the PUP.

I think if Darrell Reid were part of this defense, that the game yesterday might have had a different outcome.

dogfish
09-13-2010, 02:46 PM
i wonder if we might try to bring reid back later in the year if he gets healthy. . .

Grover
09-13-2010, 02:48 PM
dogfish wrote:
i wonder if we might try to bring reid back later in the year if he gets healthy. . .

and cut Jarvis Moss to make room? (one can only hope)

rcsodak
09-14-2010, 12:38 PM

You're taking about halftime adj's. What about after the bye adj's? You know....after opponents get film on you!

rcsodak
09-14-2010, 12:46 PM

LMAO! Spose Indy will score more points than St Louis too? Miami's D was already better, but way to go out on than limb. :D

claymore
09-14-2010, 12:52 PM
LMAO! Spose Indy will score more points than St Louis too? Miami's D was already better, but way to go out on than limb. :D

Wrong again.

DenBronx
09-14-2010, 01:06 PM
If Miami ends up with a top 10 defense people will still find ways to justify letting go of Nolan. Wink is not looking that great as a D cordinator and as of right now, even though it's only week 1, we are worse than last year.

I'll kick the crap out of this dead horse all year if I have to. It was one of the dumbest moves McD has ever made.

Bosco
09-14-2010, 01:31 PM
Also, the last time I checked, the Jags weren't exactly an offensive powerhouse. They were slightly better than the Bills last year, and they didn't lose any key offensive components or go through a coaching change either. :D

If Miami ends up with a top 10 defense people will still find ways to justify letting go of Nolan. Wink is not looking that great as a D cordinator and as of right now, even though it's only week 1, we are worse than last year.

I'll kick the crap out of this dead horse all year if I have to. It was one of the dumbest moves McD has ever made.

He ended up with what, the 7th last year? Sounds impressive enough until you look at the fact that he dropped from 1st all the way down to 7th when our defense was getting torched later in the year. Personally I expect something similar from Nolan this year, which has pretty much been his career calling card.

I Eat Staples
09-14-2010, 02:33 PM
We won't be better this year because we drastically overachieved last year. We're an average defense.

Nolan wasn't the cause of our success or collapse. Flukes happen. We're an average defense that played better than we really are for the beginning of last season.

jhildebrand
09-14-2010, 03:32 PM

DO you EVEN WATCH OR KNOW FOOTBALL? :confused:

You simply post complete and utter bullshit.

2009 Total D:

Denver 7th

Miami-22nd

So how was Miami's d better again? :confused:

Miami has a new coordinator, new scheme and new players and they are already dominating (there's those silly excuses). Yet somehow they have still managed to put up a better effort than Denver.

So try to keep up. By the way, not everyone feels the same as you. Warhorse will be sporting a nice sig at season's end. I work on it weekly! :D

jhildebrand
09-14-2010, 03:34 PM

I'll be right there next to you!

:deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse:

I Eat Staples
09-14-2010, 03:34 PM
Let's not get carried away about Miami. I think they're on track for a good season, but don't get too excited about their defense shutting Buffalo down. Buffalo is just...horrid. :shocked:

jhildebrand
09-14-2010, 03:39 PM
Well the bet is their D will finish better than Denver's.

I Eat Staples
09-14-2010, 03:44 PM
Well the bet is their D will finish better than Denver's.

I think both of our defenses are average. I'd have to see Miami's schedule to weigh in on that.

Elevation inc
09-15-2010, 02:08 AM
We won't be better this year because we drastically overachieved last year. We're an average defense.

Nolan wasn't the cause of our success or collapse. Flukes happen. We're an average defense that played better than we really are for the beginning of last season.

i agree big time with this......but i do feel this year our defense is slightly more above average, with doom it would have been good though......