PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Offense: "Things Youve Never Seen Before"

WARHORSE
07-21-2010, 04:27 PM
That was something McDaniels said coming in. That was before trading Cutler mind you.

Well, think about this.

Substitution in the NFL is a huge part of calling plays. Everyone who has played football or plays Madden understands this on some level. If the offense substitutes a package with two WRs, one TE, a fullback, and a halfback, thats 11 players with the five linemen. Normally the defense will line up in a base package for this: If its a 4-3 for example, then there will be two safeties, two corners, three LBers and four Dlinemen.

When the offense comes out of the huddle and lines up traditionally, lets say, TE to the strong side, a WR to each side, the QB under center and the FB and HB in I formation..........the defense will line up normally with the front seven evened out tackle to tackle according to their positions. Each of the corners will be on a WR, and the two safeties will be back.

In the WildHorse, Kyle Orton moves out to WR coming out of the huddle. The adjustment is this: Who do they put out to cover Orton? If the corner who normally plays that side stays on Orton, then who is covering the WR? The defense has to assign someone to Orton. That moves players out of position. Say the defense moves the safety out.
That means the offense, is now running on a one safety defense.

If they move out a LBer or Dlineman, then you have six players in the front seven......that means the SS is probably going to be the seventh guy, with him coming down into the box, or at least favoring that move. That puts you once again in a single safety situation. Which with two good WRs, someone is going to be one on one.
If the defense stays with 6 in the 'front seven', the offense will pound the ball because there will be a gap to run in.

Bear with me....

Now you bring in a Tim Tebow. Not only can he pass the ball folks, he is a fullback/halfback, who many think should transition to H-back.

So, you bring in that same package with Orton AND Tebow in the game. Orton, TT, Moreno, Five Oline, one TE, and two WRs.....lets say....big guys like Decker and Thomas who can not only catch, they can block.

Orton moves out to WR, Tebow is under center, Moreno in the backfield.
See the problem now? You put a corner on Orton or a safety, then theres a mismatch big time somewhere else in the formation. You send one of the front seven out to cover Orton, its a run/pass all day situation. First, you run out of this formation to show them you can....and we can. With a direct snap out of the shotgun or even a QB rollout, there are adjustments that have to be made.

What happens when an offense can pound the ball relentlessly against your front seven? Of course, you bring the safety down. Now what do you do when one of your safeties is on Orton out in the flat, if thats your chosen adjustment? Even if you bring out an extra corner or safety, youre still left with matchup problems.

Same thing goes for coming out with three WRs, no TE, Tebow, Moreno/Buck/Arrington, and Orton. Matchup problems and confusion.

Adjustments can be made by teams with elite safeties and such, but not when you havent seen whats coming at you. The defense wont know whos assignment is where........that means theyre on their heels.

On the other side.......lets say Tebow shows he can run a decent route and catch the ball. Now, you come out of the huddle with the same grouping, only Tebow is now the one moving out to WR. Problems once again for the defense.

Theres alot one can do with two QBs on the field that can throw the ball.
Even more so, what happens if you put Quinn and Tebow in instead of Orton. Both these guys are mobile.

Uh oh.

All of a sudden bringing in Quinn and drafting Tebow doesnt look so blase.

Remember......the Miami dolphins took the whole league by surprise by changing up their offense and thinking outside the box. Who was one of the receipients on the wrong end of that? McD. In New England he got to see it first hand.

McDaniels promised we'd see things in the Denver offense that we'd never seen before...........I think this very well may be what he was aiming for.

It also would explain that it seems hes aquiring very specific players to run this offense.

Big fast, WRs.......two able QBs......huge mauling line...etc, etc.

Im looking forward to the season.

underrated29
07-21-2010, 04:57 PM
In that instance, if I was the defense I would put a LB in zone on ORton, as I am not afraid of him catching the ball, let alone running with it. It would be foolish to put a CB or S on him as he is NO THREAT....

Now if we did 2 wide, TT out wide, 5 OL, RB,FB, TE, Then it would make more sense...

As someone has to cover the TE and 2 wide, also tebow is a threat to run a route and catch. He also could pull an end around and run back behind C as the ball is being snapped. Of course you still have knowshon facing a 6 man front with a lead blocker in his FB to plow the road...all behind my boy JD. Which is exactly what Miami does.

But having orton and TT in at the same time to me seems like a wasted player. And I do not think we see two QBs in at the same time. Who knows, it would be cool, but i doubt it.

Still, I think we will see wild ass and some rollouts maybe even a PA Double boot. The defense would expect a PA boot, but I doubt they would expect a double boot, as they happen very rarely. Vince Young ran one once against us a couple years ago...That was the first time I had seen one since I was a little kid........A forgotten play, but a good one, esp. for a mobile QB.

WARHORSE
07-21-2010, 05:50 PM
In that instance, if I was the defense I would put a LB in zone on ORton, as I am not afraid of him catching the ball, let alone running with it. It would be foolish to put a CB or S on him as he is NO THREAT....

Now if we did 2 wide, TT out wide, 5 OL, RB,FB, TE, Then it would make more sense...

As someone has to cover the TE and 2 wide, also tebow is a threat to run a route and catch. He also could pull an end around and run back behind C as the ball is being snapped. Of course you still have knowshon facing a 6 man front with a lead blocker in his FB to plow the road...all behind my boy JD. Which is exactly what Miami does.

But having orton and TT in at the same time to me seems like a wasted player. And I do not think we see two QBs in at the same time. Who knows, it would be cool, but i doubt it.

Still, I think we will see wild ass and some rollouts maybe even a PA Double boot. The defense would expect a PA boot, but I doubt they would expect a double boot, as they happen very rarely. Vince Young ran one once against us a couple years ago...That was the first time I had seen one since I was a little kid........A forgotten play, but a good one, esp. for a mobile QB.

It doesnt matter who you put out there. You will be left with either one less safety or one less LBer.

If you leave both safeties in over the top and send a fourth LBer out on Orton, that leaves your two WRs matched up on a corner and a safety, probably in zone, and that is a mismatch that can score 7. You will have two LBers in that situation.

So youre playing with 10 on 10.

For instance, you put Orton out wide right, two WR out left. Tebow under center and Moreno in the backfield with Graham strongside.

Heres your defensive count: Two corners on your WRs to the left. Four Dlinemen, three LBers, and the fourth LBer out on Orton. That leaves you with one safety. Youre other option is to play with two LBers. Either way, Denver will have options to choose from, mismatches to exploit, and depending on the play will determine who they pick on.

Outside of that, an adjustment will be made.

So Denver sees you bringin in a fourth LBer when Orton and Tebow enter the game in that package, then they now have the adjustment. They then in turn put Tebow and Orton side by side in the backfield. Tebow is now the threat runningback/blocker/pass catcher.

Moreno now goes out wide. If you have brought in a fourth LBer, he now has to go out on Moreno who is an excellent pass catcher. That is a mismatch in most situations. Another thought is Arrington or Buck, who are both faster than Moreno as a possible adjustment too. If you send the lone safety out there, then both your wideouts have man coverage with alot of field to get to. One up top, one post middle, or crossing at 20. Either way, its a crazy advantage when youre wideouts are like Thomas.

LBer in zone with Moreno......I send Orton out left in motion. Direct snap to Tebow, roll right, straight at Moreno who takes off down field. There are a ton of options in that scenario. Including Graham, or the wideouts in crossing/spreading routes. Its an easy read for Tebow. Either way, youre gonna get a nice piece of yardage.

Even though teams will make adjustments to this, it doesnt matter because each week Denver can pose something the opposing team hasnt seen yet. Its the versatility of giving the defense something they havent seen.

When it comes to critical situations like third down, this will leave a defense on its heels.

It would be easier to defense at the goaline, but even there Tebows versatility as a hard runner gives you options.

Northman
07-21-2010, 06:37 PM
As long as its TD's i dont care if ive seen it or not.

WARHORSE
07-21-2010, 09:16 PM

Sounds about right.

Lonestar
07-21-2010, 10:27 PM

lets hold this quote till the season starts and see if you stand by it.

I have a sneaking suspicion that you will have comments about them then.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

TXBRONC
07-21-2010, 10:35 PM

Are telling me you that it's possible to have some criticisms of the team or coach and still want them to win? :shocked:

Northman
07-22-2010, 07:07 AM
Are telling me you that it's possible to have some criticisms of the team or coach and still want them to win? :shocked:

Only the more intelligent fans truly understand that concept TX. The trolls however....

claymore
07-22-2010, 07:30 AM
Tebow scares DC's at WR slightly more than Orton does. Which is not at all. Every DC in the league hopes we do this. THey could put a reserve DT or a punter on Orton or Tebow and be ok.