PDA

View Full Version : pats lose draft picks!!!

arapaho2
09-13-2007, 08:24 PM
BREAKING NEWS: Belichick fined Pats. forfeit draft choices.
Belichick Fined; Pats Lose Pick

Bill Belichick was hit with a $500,000 fine Thursday night -- the maximum allowable by NFL by-laws -- for violating the league's policy on videotaping the Jets defensive signs Sunday. In addition, Roger Goodell notified the Patriots that they would forfeit a 2008 first-round draft choice if they reach the playoffs, or second- and third-round picks if they do not qualify for the playoffs. The club was also fined $250,000.

Medford Bronco
09-13-2007, 08:29 PM
wow that is steep but I think this will discourage any team for doing this any more.

Tned
09-13-2007, 08:30 PM
That was stiffer than I expected. I figured a third round pick.

Cleveland Rocks
09-13-2007, 08:31 PM
I still think that game should have been stripped from the record books.

What is a first round draft pick for the Patriots? Belichick is known to find gems in later rounds as well.

Tned
09-13-2007, 08:33 PM
I still think that game should have been stripped from the record books.

What is a first round draft pick for the Patriots? Belichick is known to find gems in later rounds as well.

They talked about this on Sirius NFL Radio. They pointed out that the NFL probably couldn't force a forfeit, as it likely would have collective bargaining implicaitons, Pats lose a game via forfeit, then if they miss the playoffs, players could have incentives based on playoffs, and other contract issues related to that win going away. They didn't think the NFL could get away with unilaterally making that call.

In-com-plete
09-13-2007, 08:44 PM
That's a small price to pay if you ask me. Cheating ***** just got 3 SB rings and a ballot into the HOF because of this.

First round pick? Psssst......please

topscribe
09-13-2007, 08:50 PM
Well, they're going to make the playoffs, so that means a first-rounder.

"Fine" by me. :2thumbs:

P.S. I kind of agree with In-com-plete, but I figured a lesser penaly, so
this will work.

-----

Medford Bronco
09-13-2007, 08:51 PM
Well, they're going to make the playoffs, so that means a first-rounder.

"Fine" by me. :2thumbs:

-----

it would be more enjoyable if it were the 2nd and 3rd though ;)

topscribe
09-13-2007, 08:56 PM
it would be more enjoyable if it were the 2nd and 3rd though ;)
I would have been more pleased if they had the whole 2008 draft taken away.

As In-com-plete implied, how long have they been doing this? All through all
three Super Bowl seasons?

-----

Tned
09-13-2007, 09:04 PM

-----

The bigger question is whether or not they are really the only ones. It's hard to imaging that nobody else works hard to figure out defensive hand signals.

topscribe
09-13-2007, 09:11 PM
The bigger question is whether or not they are really the only ones. It's hard to imaging that nobody else works hard to figure out defensive hand signals.
Well, at least they started at the top . . .

-----

In-com-plete
09-13-2007, 09:14 PM

-----

Hey, if they're gonna cheat against a weaker team in the first game of the season, against the Lions, and against the Packers....they freakin cheated during their SB run.

Guaranteed!

*Edit:
I wouldn't be surprised if they were rolling tape during the preseason games. Oh, probably not. They always lose those games.

anton...
09-13-2007, 10:00 PM
serves them right...

:coffee:
________
Vaporizer volcano (http://volcanovaporizer.net/)

dogfish
09-13-2007, 10:16 PM
suck it, bellyache!

TXBRONC
09-13-2007, 11:03 PM
That was stiffer than I expected. I figured a third round pick.

With as hard as Goodell has come down on individual players it doesn't surprise me that he hammered the Patriots this hard.

TXBRONC
09-13-2007, 11:16 PM
I wonder what happens to that number one pick they will lose? Does the League award it another team or does it just disappear.

dogfish
09-13-2007, 11:30 PM
I wonder what happens to that number one pick they will lose? Does the League award it another team or does it just disappear.

i'm almost positive there would just be 31 picks in the first round that year, just like there are additional selections in some rounds every year due to compensatory picks. . . what i'm curious about is which pick it will be if it's in the first round (they have two next year since they're getting san fran's)-- i'm assuming it will be their own pick, but it's hard to say for sure. . .

ThunderGirl
09-13-2007, 11:34 PM
BREAKING NEWS: Belichick fined Pats. forfeit draft choices.
Belichick Fined; Pats Lose Pick

Bill Belichick was hit with a $500,000 fine Thursday night -- the maximum allowable by NFL by-laws -- for violating the league's policy on videotaping the Jets defensive signs Sunday. In addition, Roger Goodell notified the Patriots that they would forfeit a 2008 first-round draft choice if they reach the playoffs, or second- and third-round picks if they do not qualify for the playoffs. The club was also fined $250,000.

Good, I am glad they got hit that hard! Cheating is wrong, no matter who does it.

OB
09-13-2007, 11:41 PM
ive been saying for years they are cheaters - i understand why u cant take a game away - now - but i still say its not enough - the man has millions whats 500k :coffee:

TXBRONC
09-13-2007, 11:47 PM
i'm almost positive there would just be 31 picks in the first round that year, just like there are additional selections in some rounds every year due to compensatory picks. . . what i'm curious about is which pick it will be if it's in the first round (they have two next year since they're getting san fran's)-- i'm assuming it will be their own pick, but it's hard to say for sure. . .

I would guess it would be the higher of the two picks.

omac
09-14-2007, 12:14 AM
Wow, I'm pretty impressed with how Goodell enforced this one.

I was expecting the Pats to have a slap on the wrist because, well, they're the Pats. But Goodell gave them a pretty good penalty for this one, and it should discourage other teams who are currently breaking the rules.

I'm still not sold that it should be illegal, but since the Pats did break the rules, it's good that proper punishment is enforced. Goodell :salute:

WTE
09-14-2007, 07:15 AM
What was up with Britney Spear's performance at the MTV Music Awards?

TXBRONC
09-14-2007, 07:22 AM

Don't get off topic WTE if you don't want to be involved in the conversation then don't post. I can understand this is annoying to you as fan but it's part of the game.

Mike
09-14-2007, 08:21 AM
Eh...I expected more. How can Goodell justify suspending a freaking QB coach 4 games for taking HGH and let Bilicheat off?

Should have been:
Forfeit the loss
The Cheat suspended 4 games
Loss of 1st round pick

Steep? Certainly. But the Pats blatantly violated a rule implemented this year and that needs to be taken into account. Got to say that I am disappointed with hard-nose Goodell on this.

TXBRONC
09-14-2007, 08:33 AM
Eh...I expected more. How can Goodell justify suspending a freaking QB coach 4 games for taking HGH and let Bilicheat off?

Should have been:
Forfeit the loss
The Cheat suspended 4 games
Loss of 1st round pick

Steep? Certainly. But the Pats blatantly violated a rule implemented this year and that needs to be taken into account. Got to say that I am disappointed with hard-nose Goodell on this.

I would have liked see them lose both first rounds picks or at the very least make sure they lose the higher pick of the two.

omac
09-14-2007, 09:17 AM
I would have liked see them lose both first rounds picks or at the very least make sure they lose the higher pick of the two.

Nah, I think the proper punishment would be for them to be forced to cut Tom Brady, and pick up BVP in his place. :cool:

kcvet
09-14-2007, 09:42 AM
they should banned from any future playoffs. 14-2 ???? season over.

arapaho2
09-14-2007, 10:03 AM
That's a small price to pay if you ask me. Cheating ***** just got 3 SB rings and a ballot into the HOF because of this.

First round pick? Psssst......please

i agree , and so does rod woodson....to put in perspective, a player gets fined 8 games...for off the field conduct detremental to the integrity of the game, he loses around 50% of his income...a whole season..100% of his income....not to mention the ramifacations to the team itself

this is cheating to win games....it tears down the whole concept of integrity in the nfl...how many teams lost a chance at post season play, or lost a playoff game because the pats were cheating?...how many???

fineing the pats a first rounder ..when they have two already is nothing...they were fined thier own ,, so whats that 25th to 32 nd?...they still have the 49ers pick which will probably be higher anyway

it should have been multiple picks in consecutive years...both firsts this year to start with no chance to trade up...belicheat should have been fined as well as either banned for at least 8 games, if the dallas coach who was takeing steroids to help his sickness gets banned 4 games...why not belicheat...the kraft should have been hit alot harder then a measely 250,000....thats like telling a guy who makes 50,000 a year your fine is 2 dollars...its nothing!!

i believe the league let them off way to light

underrated29
09-14-2007, 10:37 AM
they will lose their own first rdr, they still get to keep sfo's

i also was surprised at how light he came down. i figured it would be more like both 1sts or a 1st and 2nd. but they are the pats and as we see now, they can and will get or get away with whatever they want.

TXBRONC
09-14-2007, 10:41 AM
Nah, I think the proper punishment would be for them to be forced to cut Tom Brady, and pick up BVP in his place. :cool:

:laugh: Yeah that serve them right.

Nomad
09-14-2007, 11:20 AM
Belichick, Craft, and Goodell are smoking cigars right now and saying $750 grand is chump change and they know the Pats will make the playoffs. Good thing Goodell is their buddy. Coach's cheating is the equivalent to players using performance enhancing drugs. Yes, players and coaches do it all the time but when a player gets caught they're suspended. I wonder if Belichick would have not been buddies with Goodell if the penalty would have been steeper.

Astrass
09-14-2007, 11:43 AM
He should be beaten!

Requiem / The Dagda
09-14-2007, 03:33 PM
The Patriots deserved the harsh punishment. They'll still have a first-round choice regardless.

dogfish
09-14-2007, 03:43 PM

so, you think they'll tank the season to protect their 1st rounder?

:listen:

WTE
09-14-2007, 04:00 PM
so, you think they'll tank the season to protect their 1st rounder?

:listen:

Actually I think the Patriot players are bs their names have been tarnished and they will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy their brothers. And you will know the Patriot name is the Lord when they lay their vengeance upon thee.

SD is first on the list. They're gonna get crushed.

Medford Bronco
09-14-2007, 04:10 PM
Actually I think the Patriot players are bullsh!t their names have been tarnished and they will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy their brothers. And you will know the Patriot name is the Lord when they lay their vengeance upon thee.

lol you see why I say Gods team :laugh:

in alll seriousness, I think the pats will win. They seem to rise
to the occasion in times like this

broncosfanscott
09-14-2007, 09:54 PM
they should banned from any future playoffs. 14-2 ???? season over.

I like that one. They do it for college teams why not for the Pats.

I agree with the fines and the loss of draft picks, I hope they take away their first round pick of 2008 despite how they finish. They still should have taken away that win over the Patriots and given them the loss. I mean nothing would hurt more than that because what if they beat another team in playoff seeding by one game or a head-to-head matchup. This way they lose that and play on the road.

Now we can call him Bill Belicheat. :laugh:

kcvet
09-15-2007, 08:19 AM
stealing sigs

video (video)

WTE
09-15-2007, 08:59 AM
stealing sigs

video (video)

Good vid.

Every football fan should be required to view it. :congrats:

kcvet
09-15-2007, 10:17 AM
changing signals is the way to beat this. how difficult this is un sure. but if teams change signals from time to time you have more security. my 2 cents.

Skywalker
09-15-2007, 11:32 AM
This was more than I expected, so this is good :2thumbs:

WTE
09-17-2007, 03:29 AM
Actually I think the Patriot players are bull their names have been tarnished and they will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy their brothers. And you will know the Patriot name is the Lord when they lay their vengeance upon thee.

The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls

Woot woot.

Retired_Member_001
09-17-2007, 12:29 PM
This ISN'T over!

It never is.

I still think the Patriots will be hit harder than a 2008 first round pick. I actually wouldn't be suprised if they had the whole first day of the 2008 draft taken away from them, they should have the whole 2008 draft taken away from them if this thing has been going on for a while ( I agree with you Top).

I'd like to see the league come down real hard on them.

And WTE to answer your question right now before you even ask it, YES I would feel as strongly about it if it was the Broncos.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-17-2007, 12:38 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3023756

Kraft wasn't aware Belichick was breaking NFL rule

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Patriots owner Robert Kraft said he didn't know his team was using a sideline camera that brought a hefty fine and loss of a draft pick, and expressed displeasure Sunday night with coach Bill Belichick for violating an NFL rule.

The video camera was confiscated during the first quarter of the season-opening 38-14 win at the New York Jets.

"Before last Sunday's game, I had no knowledge of this practice," Kraft said Sunday night in an NBC television interview at halftime of New England's game against the San Diego Chargers. "I must tell you, it was really disappointing, especially after such a great game.

"What made it particularly disheartening, in our group of companies we hold people to very high standards, and this isn't what we're about. I've discussed that with coach Belichick."

Kraft promised that "it won't happen again."

Kraft issued a written statement after the penalty imposed by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell was announced Thursday night. Belichick was fined $500,000, the maximum allowed, and the team $250,000. The Patriots also would lose a first-round draft choice next year if they make the playoffs, or a second- and third-rounder if they don't.

At first, Kraft thought that was too severe.

"I must tell you I was quite upset and perturbed when I saw the penalty, because I didn't think that the incident deserved this kind of punishment," he said. "Over the last couple of days I've been thinking about it and have cooled down. I realized he wasn't just sending a message to the New England Patriots, he was sending it to all 32 teams.

"I support that and I think so do the fans who emotionally get charged by us."

Belichick was "very articulate" in presenting his side of the videotaping to Goodell, Kraft said.

But the owner wouldn't say if he was considering additional action against his coach, who recently agreed to a long-term contract extension.

"Commissioner Goodell levied the highest penalty on anyone in the history of the NFL between the first-round draft choice and the financial penalty," Kraft said. "He made his statement known. We accepted it. Coach Belichick apologized and from here on in, it will be handled as an internal, private Patriots matter."

Goodell has ordered the the Patriots to turn over all videotape, files and notes relating to all their activity that resulted in the disciplinary action, sources familiar with the details of Goodell's private communication with the team told ESPN's Chris Mortensen.

If the Patriots are not compliant, the commissioner is prepared to impose even greater sanctions, Mortensen's sources said. Goodell promised as much when interviewed before Sunday night's game.

Goodell alluded to the league's position when he made his decision public to discipline the Patriots when he stated that the NFL would "review" and "monitor" the team's videotaping procedures, effective immediately. Privately, the commissioner was more specific in his demands and expectations with Kraft when the two men spoke Thursday, Mortensen's sources said.

In a letter to the Patriots announcing the penalty, Goodell had said, "This episode represents a calculated and deliberate attempt to avoid long-standing rules designed to encourage fair play and promote honest competition on the playing field."

He said he considered suspending Belichick but didn't "largely because I believe that the discipline I am imposing of a maximum fine and forfeiture of a first-round draft choice, or multiple draft choices, is in fact more significant and long-lasting, and therefore more effective, than a suspension."

Speaking to NBC, Goodell said he trusted that the Patriots would turn over all the information to the league that was requested.

"I'm very confident the Patriots are going to abide by the rules," he said. "They understand that the consequences could increase."

Chris Mortensen covers the NFL for ESPN. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

WTE
09-17-2007, 12:53 PM
And WTE to answer your question right now before you even ask it, YES I would feel as strongly about it if it was the Broncos.

No disrespect but I really don't care about the opinions of other teams fans on this matter. I care more about the opinion of current and former head coaches who think this is being blown way out of proportion and feel the Patriots won fair and square.

People like Herm Edwards, Jimmy Johnson, John Madden, Bill Cowher, Andy Reid, etc.

BTW, Dungy's team is gonna pay for his little snide comment too. Put it in the bank.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-17-2007, 01:11 PM
No disrespect but I really don't care about the opinions of other teams fans on this matter. I care more about the opinion of current and former head coaches who think this is being blown way out of proportion and feel the Patriots won fair and square.

People like Herm Edwards, Jimmy Johnson, John Madden, Bill Cowher, Andy Reid, etc.

BTW, Dungy's team is gonna pay for his little snide comment too. Put it in the bank.

In the game which they got caught, I believe the Patriots would have won, even without doing what they got caught doing. But, I believe this tactic has been used in many more games.

If the Patriots are as good as they and their fans advertise they are, why did they feel they needed to cheat??? :confused:

broncos9697
09-17-2007, 03:03 PM
they are saying who cares they have 2- 1st round picks any ways....
what a week punishment he and they have gotten

WTE
09-17-2007, 03:16 PM
If the Patriots are as good as they and their fans advertise they are, why did they feel they needed to cheat??? :confused:

Sorry, I don't feel they cheated at all. I feel he broke a rule but I think that's a far cry from cheating.

BB uses video in an attempt to save time. Other teams, like the Broncos, steal signals with binoculars and a scribe. It's just that binoculars and a scribe are legal and a camera is not.

I have no idea why BB would blatantly disregard that rule in the Meadowlands of all places, but he stole signals like everybody else does. IMO, that's not cheating, that's breaking an NFL rule.

Mike
09-17-2007, 03:39 PM
Sorry, I don't feel they cheated at all. I feel he broke a rule but I think that's a far cry from cheating.

BB uses video in an attempt to save time. Other teams, like the Broncos, steal signals with binoculars and a scribe. It's just that binoculars and a scribe are legal and a camera is not.

I have no idea why BB would blatantly disregard that rule in the Meadowlands of all places, but he stole signals like everybody else does. IMO, that's not cheating, that's breaking an NFL rule.

Whatever you need to make you feel better about your team. :rolleyes:

WTE
09-17-2007, 03:56 PM
Whatever you need to make you feel better about your team. :rolleyes:

Last night made me feel great about my team. We didn't need to call a desperation last second time out when the other team's O-line was set.

Shanny knew both teams wouldn't hear the sideline whistle and would run the play anyway. It's a good thing nobody got hurt on that "non-play."

Mike
09-17-2007, 04:37 PM
Last night made me feel great about my team. We didn't need to call a desperation last second time out when the other team's O-line was set.

Shanny knew both teams wouldn't hear the sideline whistle and would run the play anyway. It's a good thing nobody got hurt on that "non-play."

Whatever it takes to make you feel better about your team. :beer: