PDA

View Full Version : Krieger: Broncos camp not so far away

Lonestar
07-20-2010, 01:48 AM
Krieger: Broncos camp not so far away
By Dave Krieger
The Denver Post
POSTED: 07/19/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT

Broncos QBs Brady Quinn, left, Kyle Orton, center, and Tim Tebow (Denver Post file photo)
Musings for a Monday morning at T-13 days to the first public practice of Broncos training camp, not that we're counting . . .

• Disclaimer: Any resemblance between these musings and anything ever written by Colorado Supreme Court Justice Gregory J. Hobbs is purely coincidental.

Although I am scanning the Internet for everything the justice has written about the Broncos, just in case.

• Musings that might need a plagiarism check: Some football teams are born mediocre, some football teams achieve mediocrity, and some football teams have mediocrity thrust upon them.

• Although there will be the usual talk about the grind of training camp two-a- days, only five of the 19 official days of Broncos camp have two practices scheduled.

Twenty practices will be open to the public, but the club is not providing bleachers, and spectators are not allowed to bring lawn chairs.

In other words, you can stay for as long as you can stand to watch.

First public practice: Sunday, Aug. 1, at 8:45 a.m. I believe you are still allowed to sit on the grass. Can't use your cellphone, though.

• Theodorous Lodewicus "Louis" Oosthuizen, your British Open champion.

Tiger finished tied for 23rd. He was gracious on the course, allowing Tom Watson to play through late Friday to get his picturesque goodbye on the Swilcan Bridge at St. Andrews before the light was lost and gave surprisingly cheerful postround interviews as he slid from contention.

So Nice Tiger is an also-ran. Cyborg Tiger contends. Which do you prefer?

• Musings that might need a plagiarism check: It is a mistake for a football team to try to look too far ahead. The chain of destiny can only be grasped one link at a time.

• Back in 2007, the Rockies got more than a week off between the NLCS and World Series and went from the hottest team in baseball to the coldest.

This year, they got four days off over an extended all-star break. In the three games before the break, they scored 21 runs. In three games since, they've scored four.

It's beginning to look like they don't deal that well with time off.

• The Linas Kleiza Era actually ended for the Nuggets a year ago, when he headed overseas, but it's official now that the club has decided not to match Toronto's four-year, $18.8 million offer for the restricted free agent.

• On the bright side, they are beginning the Al Harrington Era. As one column contributor points out, it has to be better than the Junior Harrington Era.

• Don't look now, but the Rockies are no longer Denver's most cost-conscious sports team. The Nuggets could have matched the Raptors' offer to Kleiza but declined because the deal would have cost twice its face value, owing to the NBA luxury tax.

Meanwhile, the Avalanche is so far below next season's NHL salary cap, the front office will have to throw some more money at players just to reach the required spending floor.

And the Broncos have been avoiding big-ticket contracts for some time, trading Jay Cutler and Brandon Marshall before they got lucrative new deals and persuading NFL sack leader Elvis Dumervil to sign a one-year, $3.2 million restricted free-agent contract tender.

• Musings that might need a plagiarism check: Eighty percent of winning football games is showing up.

• This just in: The Rockies are taking their talents to South Beach. They thought about announcing it on an ESPN special, but Jim Gray wasn't available.

• Hard to say which Sunday pitching performance was more important to the Rocks as the trade deadline approaches — Aaron Cook's seven-inning shutout, Huston Street's nail-biting save or Rafael Betancourt's eighth-inning hold.

Jorge De La Rosa has been rocked in two starts since returning from injury, making the Rocks' staff look considerably less solid than it did. If neither he nor Jeff Francis gets back on track, rookies Jhoulys Chacin and Esmil Rogers might both find themselves back in the rotation.

So Cook's sharp performance on the road, where he had struggled, was probably most important, but Betancourt dragging his ERA below 5.00 is pretty close.

If the Rocks think they need another starter, they're less likely to look for a new setup man.

• Musings that might need a plagiarism check: If you want to tell people the truth about their football team, make them laugh. Otherwise, they'll kill you.

Dave Krieger: 303-954-5297, dkrieger@denverpost.com or twitter.com/DaveKrieger

LTC Pain
07-20-2010, 05:14 PM
Hey, I will be there on 1 Aug for the morning practice. C'mon over and say hi if your not shy. I will be the 50+ guy wearing a Rod Smith jersey and brown outback hat. Go Broncos!

Rusty Shackleford
07-21-2010, 07:49 PM
Hey, I will be there on 1 Aug for the morning practice. C'mon over and say hi if your not shy. I will be the 50+ guy wearing a Rod Smith jersey and brown outback hat. Go Broncos!

When do you need to get there in order to get a decent spot? Do they turn people away?

LTC Pain
07-22-2010, 03:36 PM
When do you need to get there in order to get a decent spot? Do they turn people away?

I would get there atleast a half an hour before the scheduled start of practice.