PDA

View Full Version : Colorado Springs Gazette gives up covering Broncos

broncofaninfla
07-19-2010, 12:12 PM
Colorado Springs Gazette gives up covering Broncos (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/19/colorado-springs-gazette-gives-up-covering-broncos/)

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on July 19, 2010 12:58 PM ET
The struggling newspaper industry claimed another victim on Monday, when Frank Schwab of the Colorado Springs Gazette announced his paper (http://twitter.com/fs3142/status/18921958746) would no longer cover the Broncos.

Schwab will transfer to the Air Force beat, so the paper won't totally lose a great beat writer.

While the Gazette doesn't have the resources of the Denver Post, it provided plenty of great coverage during Schwab's ten years on the job and before he jumped on. Following the demise of the Rocky Mountain News in 2009, Denver joins a growing list of NFL teams that essentially have one major paper covering them.

Team websites help fill the gap, but can't provide a complete picture. Ultimately, readers of quality local football coverage lose out.

NightTrainLayne
07-19-2010, 12:15 PM
Crap. I really enjoy reading Frank Schwab on the Broncos.

Bummer.

titan
07-19-2010, 12:24 PM
I found out about this earlier on twitter - will miss Schwab's bronco articles and twitter updates.

topscribe
07-19-2010, 12:29 PM
Rats. He had some good stuff about the Broncos from time to time . . . :tsk:

-----

Andrew Mason
07-19-2010, 02:39 PM
We're all the lesser when an outlet stops covering something of great public interest -- whether it's City Hall or the Broncos.

As recently as 2005, five papers covered the Broncos (Gazette, Post, Rocky, Longmont Times-Call, Boulder Daily Camera); every local TV station traveled, too. It was one of the largest media corps in the league, befitting a team with fervent regional interest. The multitude of newspapers kept everyone on their toes and gave everyone a few more items to discuss. Now, it's one paper and often, no more than a couple of local TV outlets. It's the same story with other teams; when I was with the Panthers, there were 11 newspapers with spaces in the media room, since at one time, they all covered the team. In recent years, it was down to three; now it is two.

Coverage won't go away, because as you know, the demand is there. It will just come from other sources on the Internet and in different forms beyond the Post -- sources like MileHighReport.com, BroncoTalk.net, MaxDenver.com, local magazines like Mile High Sports and, of course, DenverBroncos.com. These are all pieces of a puzzle that continues to evolve. The Post will be at all the games, as always. So will MaxDenver.com, the little site I've been working on launching this summer.

But we're losing something without Frank and The Gazette covering the Broncos. Professionally, he brought seven years of institutional knowledge at Dove Valley and the perspective that came from a decade covering the NFL, including his time in Green Bay. Personally, he's an even better man than he is a writer and reporter.

OrangeHoof
07-19-2010, 02:44 PM
Newspapers are the 21st century version of the typewriter. Antiques that have outlived their usefulness.

Lonestar
07-19-2010, 02:46 PM
Sad to see this happen as Frank was one of the best.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Denver Native (Carol)
07-19-2010, 03:03 PM
We're all the lesser when an outlet stops covering something of great public interest -- whether it's City Hall or the Broncos.

As recently as 2005, five papers covered the Broncos (Gazette, Post, Rocky, Longmont Times-Call, Boulder Daily Camera); every local TV station traveled, too. It was one of the largest media corps in the league, befitting a team with fervent regional interest. The multitude of newspapers kept everyone on their toes and gave everyone a few more items to discuss. Now, it's one paper and often, no more than a couple of local TV outlets. It's the same story with other teams; when I was with the Panthers, there were 11 newspapers with spaces in the media room, since at one time, they all covered the team. In recent years, it was down to three; now it is two.

Coverage won't go away, because as you know, the demand is there. It will just come from other sources on the Internet and in different forms beyond the Post -- sources like MileHighReport.com, BroncoTalk.net, MaxDenver.com, local magazines like Mile High Sports and, of course, DenverBroncos.com. These are all pieces of a puzzle that continues to evolve. The Post will be at all the games, as always. So will MaxDenver.com, the little site I've been working on launching this summer.

But we're losing something without Frank and The Gazette covering the Broncos. Professionally, he brought seven years of institutional knowledge at Dove Valley and the perspective that came from a decade covering the NFL, including his time in Green Bay. Personally, he's an even better man than he is a writer and reporter.

That is good to know that you will still be covering the broncos on MaxDenver.com :salute:

dogfish
07-19-2010, 03:31 PM
maybe schwab just couldn't handle the pain any more. . . . :tsk:

this is all very true. . . and honestly, a little bit disappointing, from my perspective at least. . . not that some of the new sources don't have good content to offer, of course, but as much as people complain about "the media," there's no question in my mind that standards were higher among traditional print media than the average blogger when it comes to things like fact-checking and simple grammar and spelling. . .

denver fans used to have scheffter-- now we're slowly being reduced down to kiszla and josina anderson. . . talk about your lowest common denominator! that's just depressing. . . .

topscribe
07-19-2010, 03:36 PM

I had a pretty high opinion of Schwab in the first place. But having this come
from the likes of you, Andrew, heightens my respect for him considerably . .

-----

topscribe
07-19-2010, 03:45 PM
maybe schaub just couldn't handle the pain any more. . . . :tsk:

this is all very true. . . and honestly, a little bit disappointing, from my perspective at least. . . not that some of the new sources don't have good content to offer, of course, but as much as people complain about "the media," there's no question in my mind that standards were higher among traditional print media than the average blogger when it comes to thinks like fact-checking and simple grammar and spelling. . .

denver fans used to have scheffter-- now we're slowly being reduced down to kiszla and josina anderson. . . talk about your lowest common denominator! that's just depressing. . . .

And Woody, bless his heart. Entertaining. Funny. But not a journalist . . . :laugh:

------

Tned
07-19-2010, 04:15 PM
Dang, sad to hear this. I have really enjoyed Schwab's coverage. What has been really great is how open he was to dialogue with fans on Twitter. Responding to questions, and even gathering what the fans wanted to know before heading into pressers and the like. He will be greatly missed.

Lindsay Jones also does a great job, and Andrew Mason's timing on coming back to Denver can't be any better, with Schwab leaving the beat.

honz
07-19-2010, 11:20 PM
No! Frank was the man.

sneakers
07-20-2010, 01:56 AM
No! Frank was the man.

No honz, you da man!