PDA

View Full Version : who was the worst number 1 pick overall in NFL History

Medford Bronco
09-13-2007, 07:02 PM
who was the worst number 1 pick overall in NFL History

I went with Big Daddy the stiff, Dan Wilkinson

SR
09-13-2007, 07:24 PM
Some of those were before my memory kicked in, so I'm going with Tim Couch, QB, Nebraska.

Medford Bronco
09-13-2007, 07:25 PM
Some of those were before my memory kicked in, so I'm going with Tim Couch, QB, Nebraska.

Actually Couch played at Kentucky. But he is on the list for a reason though

Tned
09-13-2007, 07:26 PM
Was leaf not a #1?

SR
09-13-2007, 07:28 PM
Actually Couch played at Kentucky. But he is on the list for a reason though

I was thinking of Erik Crouch then I think. I got my stuff mixed up...my ears are ringing.

SR
09-13-2007, 07:29 PM
Was leaf not a #1?

Second overall.

Medford Bronco
09-13-2007, 07:30 PM
Was leaf not a #1?

number 1 overall picks

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/alltimeno1

Leaf was number 2 overall in 1998 behind Peyton Manning.

Think the colts made the right pick lol

just like the pats taking Bledsoe in 1993 over Rick Mirer

TXBRONC
09-13-2007, 07:31 PM
Big Daddy while not living up to the billing still had a long career. Andrea Bruce on the other hand, in my opinion is the very definition of term stiff.

Tned
Second overall.

Ok, well when the "who was the worst number 2 pick overall in NFL history" thread pops up, he is my choice!! ;)

Medford Bronco
I was thinking of Erik Crouch then I think. I got my stuff mixed up...my ears are ringing.

lol at least Eric Crouch was a stiff as well :laugh:

WTE
09-13-2007, 07:33 PM
It's hard to argue Big Daddy Med but I'll go with Emtman. At 6' 4" 290 lbs, the guy was huge coming out of college and I feared he was gonna crush my Patriot QB's. However, the crappy turf in Indy finished him early.

Look at the size of this guy and you know why I feared him going to Indy.

http://media.scout.com/Media/College_Football/43_EmtmanAllsport.JPG

Medford Bronco
09-13-2007, 07:34 PM
It's hard to argue Big Daddy Med but I'll go with Emtman. The guy was huge coming out of college and I feared he was gonna crush my Patriot QB's. However, the crappy turf in Indy finished him early.

Look at the size of this guy and you know why I feared him going to Indy.

http://media.scout.com/Media/College_Football/43_EmtmanAllsport.JPG

wonder if he was on roids :laugh:

just like Brian Bosworth, all hype and no action

we should give some honorable mention to Ken Sims, He was not as good as his billling. He broke his leg in 85 and basically never did anything after that

Cleveland Rocks
09-13-2007, 07:38 PM
Somehow, I get the sense that you created this purely for the purpose of smack, completely devoid of any merit.

You put Tim Couch first, then you sprinkle it with others that you know people won't vote for.

Dan Wilkinson who had a long decent NFL career.
Courtney Brown who was good when he was healthy.
Andray Bruce, who few fans of today even know who he was.
Steve Emtman, who few fans of today even know who he was.
Ken Sims, who even fewer fans of today know who he was.

Where is Ki-Jana Carter on your list? Where is Jeff George? (long career, yea, but for the Colts = BUST) Where is Vinny Testaverde? (looooooong career, yea, but Bucs = BUST) Where is John Elway? (great for Denver, but, how did his Baltimore Colts career go? Oh yea, he simply refused to sign with them - rather play Baseball. Bust for Colts? You betcha) Where is Jay Berwanger? (the very first pick ever in the NFL Draft, he wanted to model plastic cars and be a sportswriter instead)

Heck, if you really wanted it to be a Brown, why not throw up Ernie Davis up there? Or do you consider leukemia to not be enough of a reason to be a Bust?

Couch, a bust? Not even close.

SR
09-13-2007, 07:40 PM
Somehow, I get the sense that you created this purely for the purpose of smack, completely devoid of any merit.

You put Tim Couch first, then you sprinkle it with others that you know people won't vote for.

Where is Ki-Jana Carter on your list? Where is Jeff George? (long career, yea, but for the Colts = BUST) Where is Vinny Testaverde? (looooooong career, yea, but Bucs = BUST) Where is John Elway? (great for Denver, but, how did his Baltimore Colts career go? Oh yea, he simply refused to sign with them - rather play Baseball. Bust for Colts? You betcha) Where is Jay Berwanger? (the very first pick ever in the NFL Draft, he wanted to model plastic cars and be a sportswriter instead)

Heck, if you really wanted it to be a Brown, why not throw up Ernie Davis up there? Or do you consider leukemia to not be enough of a reason to be a Bust?

The fact that you even listed John Elway in your list of first pick "busts" is laughable at best.

Cleveland Rocks
09-13-2007, 07:41 PM
The fact that you even listed John Elway in your list of first pick "busts" is laughable at best.

So, he had a HOF career with the Colts?

SR
09-13-2007, 07:42 PM
So, he had a HOF career with the Colts?

Doesn't matter who he had the HOF career with...he wasn't a bust by any stretch of the imagination...

Cleveland Rocks
09-13-2007, 07:42 PM
Doesn't matter who he had the HOF career with...he wasn't a bust by any stretch of the imagination...

Yes he was, Colts drafted him expecting him to turn around their franchise. Did he do that?

SR
09-13-2007, 07:43 PM
Yes he was, Colts drafted him expecting him to turn around their franchise. Did he do that?

Jiminy Christmas.

Cleveland Rocks
09-13-2007, 07:44 PM
Jiminy Christmas.

K, he didn't. So, away to Indianapolis they went. Colts went off to Indianapolis and Elway went off to Denver.

Medford Bronco
09-13-2007, 07:45 PM
K, he didn't. So, away to Indianapolis they went.

and what did the savior Tim Couch do for the Browns.?

One Playoff appearance and Kelly Holcomb played vs Pitt in 2002

Cleveland Rocks
09-13-2007, 07:47 PM
and what did the savior Tim Couch do for the Browns.?

One Playoff appearance and Kelly Holcomb played vs Pitt in 2002

Couch was drafted to be the starting QB. He took the team to the playoffs and had 64 TD's and 67 INT's. He didn't have a "great" career, but he sure as HECK didn't have the worst career. Especially compared to all the other NFL #1 Overall Picks.

topscribe
09-13-2007, 07:48 PM

Ummm . . . no, I wouldn't consider Elway a bust even for the Colts, since
he brought them an offensive lineman who was a perennial Pro Bowler,
Denvers #1 for 1984, and a million dollars. Nope, they didn't get Elway, but
they did fine for themselves.

-----

Medford Bronco
09-13-2007, 07:50 PM
Couch was drafted to be the starting QB. He took the team to the playoffs and had 64 TD's and 67 INT's. He didn't have a "great" career, but he sure as HECK didn't have the worst career. Especially compared to all the other NFL #1 Overall Picks.

you mean Kelly Holcomb too them to the playoffs not Couch who was benched during that year.

TXBRONC
09-13-2007, 07:50 PM

Well this is the smack forum is it not? Therefore Med can start just about any kind of thread that's within the rules. Charlie come on lighten up.

By the way his list still has merit.

Cleveland Rocks
09-13-2007, 07:54 PM
you mean Kelly Holcomb too them to the playoffs not Couch who was benched during that year.

Couch was benched the following year. Couch led the team to the playoffs that year. But Holcomb played in the playoff game and his throwing frenzy created a QB controversy that carried into the next season.

WTE
09-13-2007, 07:57 PM

Anybody 32 years or older is VERY familiar with everyone on that list.

I voted for Emtman and not for Couch because I thought Steve was gonna be a force in the league but I had a feeling that Couch was gonna suck. A lot of other people did too.

It's plain and simple, your team can't draft. I predicted a year ago that Quinn would be the next Rick Mirer. I could be right or I could be wrong but don't let this year determine if I'm right or wrong. Rick Mirer's best year was his first. He continually sucked after that.

Why do you think every post is a conspiracy against your Browns? You're losing it dude.

Medford Bronco
09-13-2007, 08:01 PM
Anybody 32 years or older is VERY familiar with everyone on that list.

I voted for Emtman and not for Couch because I thought Steve was gonna be a force in the league but I had a feeling that Couch was gonna suck. A lot of other people did too.

It's plain and simple, your team can't draft. I predicted a year ago that Quinn would be the next Rick Mirer. I could be right or I could be wrong but don't let this year determine if I'm right or wrong. Rick Mirer's best year was his first. He continually sucked after that.

Why do you think every post is a conspiracy against your Browns? You're losing it dude.

Great post WTE, I could not agree with you more

and you saw how I said Ken Sims for the pats as well ;) you know he sucked just like all team have their number one picks who suck

how about Marcus nash wr for Denver, he sucked as well but was not a number one pick overall like the list here

TXBRONC
09-13-2007, 08:04 PM
Great post WTE, I could not agree with you more

and you saw how I said Ken Sims for the pats as well ;) you know he sucked just like all team have their number one picks who suck

how about Marcus nash wr for Denver, he sucked as well but was not a number one pick overall like the list here

Mike Croel would be right up there, although he at least was a starter for a couple of years.

Cleveland Rocks
09-13-2007, 08:05 PM

When people just want to hurry up and get through a vote, they vote for the first selection. Who is the first selection in this poll? Tim Couch

Also, for the yungins, do you think they know who the people on the list are?

Towards the period that many of the young individuals on this board became fans the following happened:

Dan Wilkinson was towards the tail end of a long career. Though he was a journeyman.
Courtney Brown was a recent draft choice by the Browns and considered a bust.
Andray Bruce was long since out of the league and was before their time.
Steve Emtman was looong out of the league and was looong before their time.
Ken Sims was out of the league even longer.
Tim Couch was also a recent draft choice by the Browns.

So, the question they would ask themselves is: who is the most familiar name. Tim Couch, ex Brown out of the league or Courtney Brown, who recently was a Bronco.

Medford Bronco
09-13-2007, 08:10 PM
When people just want to hurry up and get through a vote, they vote for the first selection. Who is the first selection in this poll? Tim Couch

Towards the period that many of the young individuals on this board became fans the following happened:

Dan Wilkinson was towards the tail end of a long career. Though he was a journeyman.

So, the question they would ask themselves is: who is the most familiar name. Tim Couch, ex Brown out of the league or Courtney Brown, who recently was a Bronco.

Dude you need to relax so here http://www.pjmilligan.com/productimages/large/SOFT_Garland_Chair.jpg

sit down and take a load off, remember it only football and remember if you dont like a thread, dont respond plain and simple, no one is making you post in it. as some have said this thread is valid and I did not make it thinking of how the younging were going to respond and I chose Wilkinson

SR
09-13-2007, 08:10 PM

I promise you CB, the intent of this thread was not a bash at the Browns, so don't take it like that. Don't make this about the Browns and turn it in to an arguement where there's no basis. I don't want to close this thread just because of that.

Medford Bronco
09-13-2007, 08:17 PM
Jeff George had a far better career than Tim Couch did evidenced by his 154 tds and 113 pics. Also he played in 3 playoff games and threw 9td and only 3 picks so argument has a lot of holes in it

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/GeorJe00.htm

Cleveland Rocks
09-13-2007, 08:22 PM
http://www.pjmilligan.com/productimages/large/SOFT_Garland_Chair.jpg

It does look comfortable.

topscribe
09-13-2007, 08:35 PM

I don't see where anybody was trying to pick on the Browns.

A bust had to play for somebody. In this case, it was the Browns.

People were thinking of Couch, not the Browns.

-----

silver_black
09-13-2007, 08:44 PM
I don't see where anybody was trying to pick on the Browns.

A bust had to play for somebody. In this case, it was the Browns.

People were thinking of Couch, not the Browns.

-----

my initial reaction was Ki-Jana Carter, but Emtmans up there too. whats up with those handful of old-sters who were drafted #1 and only played 1 or 2 years :eek: :tsk:

topscribe
09-13-2007, 10:17 PM
my initial reaction was Ki-Jana Carter, but Emtmans up there too. whats up with those handful of old-sters who were drafted #1 and only played 1 or 2 years :eek: :tsk:
Carter's the one. Has to be.

But I still have a bad taste in my mouth for Marcus Nash. :tsk:
Yes, I realize he wasn't an overall #1. Just stuck in my
craw, that's all . . .

-----

Cleveland Rocks
09-13-2007, 10:27 PM

Looks like I have proven myself right.

If anybody knew anything, Ki-Jana Carter would be winning - or other. But, apparantly people think rushing for 1139 yards and 19 touchdowns in 10 years is a far better feat than 64 touchdown passes.

Poet
09-20-2007, 10:30 PM
who was the worst number 1 pick overall in NFL History

I went with Big Daddy the stiff, Dan Wilkinson

Akili Smith, drafted by my beloved Bengals.......WHY GOD WHY, WHY GOD WHY???

Poet
09-20-2007, 10:33 PM
Looks like I have proven myself right.

If anybody knew anything, Ki-Jana Carter would be winning - or other. But, apparantly people think rushing for 1139 yards and 19 touchdowns in 10 years is a far better feat than 64 touchdown passes.

Ki-Jana Carter got injuried. Couch was so mentally weak that he cried when he got booed, and I hate to say that cause I am a UK fan. I think Akili Smith is the worst pick ever, we would have been better off if we drafted Santa Claus. Or Art Modell:beer: