PDA

View Full Version : The Confessional, or, Where to Eat Crow

Dreadnought
06-16-2008, 11:02 AM
Because we are all self-styled experts, most of us have second guessed Shanahan, Sundquist et al. in some of their personnel decisions. I am guilty as charged. I think it would do us some collective good to remind ourselves of the times that we were really very badly off target in our own assessments. I'll start by coming clean with the following three bits of stupidity on my part.

1) Lenny Walls; the first year we had this guy I was sure I had seen the future of our CB situation for the next decade. The guy was a freak of nature, tall, big, and fast - just the guy to shut down Randy Moss and Ocho Stinko!

I neglected the fact that he had no instincts at all and couldn't hit or tackle a jot.

2) Ian Gold - few Bronco fans were happier when Gold came back; I had hated it when we lost him in the first place. I always saw him a smart and lightning fast. I had not considered that after his knee injury the "fast" part of the equation was nearly out the window, leaving him a mediocre undersized LB who hasn't played all that smart the last couple of years either.

3) And the big one - I admit it here publicly, I thought Brian Griese was the long term answer to succeed Elway. From the Green Bay game in 1999 to the Oakland Monday Night Football win in 2000 we seem to forget just how accurate and mistake free BG was; and with that Oakland win he showed guts as well. He seemed brainy enough to handle the Denver offense, and being named to the Pro Bowl in 2000 seemed to me just a preview of things to come.

I watched in disbelief as he came apart like a cheap suit in 2001, and choked away a Playoff spot at the end of 2002. It wasn't until Griese's final catastrophic game with Denver that I finally woke up and gave up on the guy. In the end he had a crappy temperment, no leadership skills, and couldn't handle pressure.

Anyone else care to 'fess up?

BeefStew25
06-16-2008, 11:05 AM
It is probably a good thing HD left the site before this thread was made. Cedric Cobb is probably glad also.

BeefStew25
06-16-2008, 11:11 AM
Personally, mine was Welsey Duke. I knew about the bad knees, but he was athletic as all get out (I played against him in college).

He is a really nice guy, so that blinded my considerable scouting talent.

Requiem / The Dagda
06-16-2008, 11:12 AM
I defended Ashley Lelie until the day he left, and still maintain that had we been in an offense where we tossed up the ball more and a viable quarterback (like Cutler now) he'd of been a pretty good receiver. I don't think that I'm necessarily needing to eat crow on that, but something a majority of people thought I was a retard for.

Rex
06-16-2008, 11:13 AM
I was wrong about Buff. I thought he had potential.

BeefStew25
06-16-2008, 11:14 AM
I was wrong about Buff. I thought he had potential.

Oh, there were about 15 dudes that missed on him. He was our own little Tony Mandarich.

Davii
06-16-2008, 11:15 AM
Simeon Rice. I was happy as hell about the signing and looked forward to him blowing up QB's for us. As it turned out, he wasn't, and still isn't ready.

Ashley Lelie - I defended him and said it was more Plummer's lack of being able to really throw a great deep ball. While it partly was, he has shown the same lack of work ethic and his pansy lack of abilities to get YAC elsewhere, so it couldn't have all been on Jake's arm.

Requiem / The Dagda
06-16-2008, 11:17 AM
Why would a deep ball receiver giving mostly streaks in assignments ever have a good YAC? Being put in wide receiver purgatory (San Francisco) isn't going to help your stats; see Darrell Jackson.

Davii
06-16-2008, 11:19 AM
Why would a deep ball receiver giving mostly streaks in assignments ever have a good YAC? Being put in wide receiver purgatory (San Francisco) isn't going to help your stats; see Darrell Jackson.

How many times did Lelie catch a ball and then hit the turf when looked at, nevermind actually touched?

He had such an amazing year with Atlanta as well.... :rolleyes:

Requiem / The Dagda
06-16-2008, 11:22 AM
How many times did Lelie catch a ball and then hit the turf when looked at, nevermind actually touched?

A lot less than you probably think considering someone on Broncomania took the time to put videos up of all his catches from his breakout season and then most of the catches from his era in Denver; and through those it's clear that he isn't the big ass pansy like most thought he was.

Davii
06-16-2008, 11:23 AM
A lot less than you probably think considering someone on Broncomania took the time to put videos up of all his catches from his breakout season and then most of the catches from his era in Denver; and through those it's clear that he isn't the big ass pansy like most thought he was.

Yeah, he is.

Dreadnought
06-16-2008, 11:24 AM
It is probably a good thing HD left the site before this thread was made. Cedric Cobb is probably glad also.

Wy? To the best of my knowledge he never made any mistakes like that.

Requiem / The Dagda
06-16-2008, 11:24 AM
Yeah, he is.

Yeah? Simeon Rice was awesome. :beer:

Just teasing.

Davii
06-16-2008, 11:25 AM

Just teasing.

I sure as hell wish he was. Would've definitely made our fortunes last year a lot better.

Dreadnought
06-16-2008, 11:26 AM

Just teasing.

LOL - you're still cheating, Dream! I was pretty much with you on Lelie, but I can't make excuses now. He was a candy-ass.

No qualifiers allowed!

BeefStew25
06-16-2008, 11:27 AM
Wy? To the best of my knowledge he never made any mistakes like that.

He pretty much blew Cobbs. Of course he (and I) were right about Plummer.

Dreadnought
06-16-2008, 11:28 AM
He pretty much blew Cobbs. Of course he (and I) were right about Plummer.

Oh yeah, Cobbs...forgot that one.

Requiem / The Dagda
06-16-2008, 11:28 AM
All right, no qualifiers -- but I'm still having a hard time thinking of a player I really had a boner over that stunk balls. I'm thinking.

Northman
06-16-2008, 11:29 AM
I dont think ive had any bad assessments. I guess my first will probably be what ever happens with Royal. Ive been tooting his horn before the draft and after we got him. So if he fails to live up the expectations that i think he can live up too than i guess i will be eating a lot of crow. I guess if there is one player that i will never live down (although i wasnt on a forum at the time he was drafted) it would have been Nash. I watched what he did at Tennesse and thought he would be the shiznit. Ooops.

Requiem / The Dagda
06-16-2008, 11:33 AM
Oh yeah, I also supported Foster. That was kinda dumb, but when I did a comparative analysis of his allowed sacks and his DVOA compared to other tackles in the league, he was in the Top 10-12 at the position; but as you can see with Detriot now and the drafting of Gosder Cherilus, they think he sucks balls too. My mistake. Hope that's not a qualifier, but why I really liked the guy!

TXBRONC
06-16-2008, 11:35 AM
Sure I was wrong about Griese, Walls, O'Neal and many others. They didn't pan out but I also didn't anointed any of them as great after just one season and at the same time I don't write players off after just one bad season.

claymore
06-16-2008, 11:38 AM
Jake Plummer, I argued and argued with my dad. I did give up after the AFCC game though........ I was positive we were going to draft Linehart. Thank goodness Jay C fell in our lap. I love that kid.

BroncoFanatic
06-16-2008, 11:44 AM
My worst ones have to be

Quentin Griffin
Lenny Walls
Ashley Lelie

NightTrainLayne
06-16-2008, 11:46 AM
Quentin Griffin and Tatum Bell have to be mine (at least my most recent).

I guess I'm just a sucker for OU & OSU grads after watching their whole college career.

dogfish
06-16-2008, 11:47 AM
i didn't think dumervil would make it as a pro, and now he's one of my favorite players. . . .

:fear:

turftoad
06-16-2008, 11:57 AM
Tatum Bell here. I was really hoping Bell was going to be the man after Portis was traded. Though he did produce for us it was clear that he wasn't the bell cow I was hoping he was going to be.

Kaylore
06-16-2008, 01:51 PM
I thought Lelie was a legit number 1. I thought Kuper would beat out Holland for the starting right guard spot. I thought Hixon would emerge as a speedy threat on our team (he did, but with the Giants. :( ). There's a lot I'm forgetting.

LordTrychon
06-16-2008, 01:52 PM
i didn't think dumervil would make it as a pro, and now he's one of my favorite players. . . .

:fear:

Finally, one that we can be glad you were wrong on... :salute:

Dreadnought
06-16-2008, 01:59 PM
Finally, one that we can be glad you were wrong on... :salute:

Well, in that vein I didn't think Brandon Marshall would amount to crap, due to some early hints of attitude issues - nightmares of another Marcus Nash. So far I'm mostly looking very wrong here if he gets his head fully in the game.

Buff
06-16-2008, 02:06 PM
Terry Pierce...

Being a Big 12 guy, I really expected Pierce to come in here from KSU and earn a starting spot at LB. He looked like a solid 2nd round pickup but he got injured a couple times and never really lived up to potential.

Retired_Member_001
06-16-2008, 03:00 PM
Mine is easily Tatum Bell. I thought he had the ability to be a very good running back for us. I liked his speed and determination. I honestly thought that he could be a very very good running back for us. I was actually excited at him being the starting back in the 2006 season.

How wrong I was.

:tsk:

TXBRONC
06-16-2008, 04:31 PM
I think all this says is that like coaches who see these guys on a day to day basis we be wrong in our assements of them. It happens.

NameUsedBefore
06-16-2008, 05:08 PM
I was very high on Lenny Walls at one point.

I'm also very high on Karl Paymah at the moment >_>

*And I was really high on Quentin Griffin as well.

turftoad
06-16-2008, 05:11 PM
Ricky Hunley was supposed to be an all world LB.

He did nothing but take a dump.

MOtorboat
06-16-2008, 05:12 PM
Tatum Bell for sure.

Jake Plummer (gasp) for another.

I'm sure there are plenty of others.

Buff
06-16-2008, 05:17 PM
Tatum Bell for sure.

Jake Plummer (gasp) for another.

I'm sure there are plenty of others.

Good point on Plummer-- he's the most glaring of all of them... It's like I just kept waiting for him to come around, and waiting, and waiting... And then he realized he was mediocre and retired. Disappointing to say the least.

shank
06-16-2008, 05:19 PM
i share crow on names like deltha, tatum, lenny, jake...

a couple i haven't seen mentioned that i really thought were going to be good in this league were domenik hixon (though i still blame our blockers more than him, and he's shown he can do some things with NY) and jashon sykes. i thought jashon was going to be a broncos linebacker for a long time, and then he fell off the map.

i guess i can add darius watts too. i really liked him as a rookie, and thought he was the future at WR. had no idea what happened in year two.

and from the other direction, i REALLY hope that jarvis moss makes me order crow in bulk.

MOtorboat
06-16-2008, 05:20 PM
Good point on Plummer-- he's the most glaring of all of them... It's like I just kept waiting for him to come around, and waiting, and waiting... And then he realized he was mediocre and retired. Disappointing to say the least.

For some reason, I've always been a Plummer fan, and I really liked the signing, and then the Championship game, I was ecstatic, and then it just went downhill, resulting in me eating a lot of crow on the Freak.

NameUsedBefore
06-16-2008, 05:23 PM

a couple i haven't seen mentioned that i really thought were going to be good in this league were domenik hixon (though i still blame our blockers more than him, and he's shown he can do some things with NY) and jashon sykes. i thought jashon was going to be a broncos linebacker for a long time, and then he fell off the map.

i guess i can add darius watts too. i really liked him as a rookie, and thought he was the future at WR. had no idea what happened in year two.

and from the other direction, i REALLY hope that jarvis moss makes me order crow in bulk.

Forgot about Sykes. He seemed poised to be a great LB, injuries did him in IIRC; I have to admit I was kinda high on him cause he was a Buff (or was that Pierce?) but he really did seem like he had what it took. I was also kinda high on Terry Pierce, but he just like... disappeared completely. Was supposed to replace Al Wilson but since Wilson stuck around Pierce just faded into who the hell knows where.

Buff
06-16-2008, 05:26 PM

I was gonna say Sykes too, but that was more my own rooting for him than any real expectations... He was an undrafted free agent afterall, so really, the fact that he got as far as he did was impressive.

Buff
06-16-2008, 05:26 PM
Forgot about Sykes. He seemed poised to be a great LB, injuries did him in IIRC; I have to admit I was kinda high on him cause he was a Buff (or was that Pierce?) but he really did seem like he had what it took. I was also kinda high on Terry Pierce, but he just like... disappeared completely. Was supposed to replace Al Wilson but since Wilson stuck around Pierce just faded into who the hell knows where.

I was a where are they now article about him... I think he's selling insurance in Kansas nowadays...

TXBRONC
06-16-2008, 05:30 PM

Jake had talent he just never wanted put anymore effort into preparing than was absolutely necessary.

Slick
06-16-2008, 05:31 PM
I thought the Sam Adams signing was a good one. I expected him to anchor the middle for a year or two. All he did was suck.

I also thought highly of George Foster. He played in a great conference against top talent...

TXBRONC
06-16-2008, 05:33 PM
I thought the Sam Adams signing was a good one. I expected him to anchor the middle for a year or two. All he did was suck.

I also thought highly of George Foster. He played in a great conference against top talent...

I was always leery of the Adams trade, not that I made a big stink about it.

Foster I thought highly of him until he got lazy about his technique.

turftoad
06-16-2008, 05:35 PM
Meh...... Sykes was an undrafted FA. I didn't expect much from him other than rooting for him to come back from injury and he was a Buff.

I WAS high on Pierce. Thought he was going to be good. We signed Al Wilson and Pierce sat on the bench. I think he lost his passion for the game after that.

Broncos Mtnman
06-16-2008, 07:32 PM
I defended Ashley Lelie until the day he left, and still maintain that had we been in an offense where we tossed up the ball more and a viable quarterback (like Cutler now) he'd of been a pretty good receiver. I don't think that I'm necessarily needing to eat crow on that, but something a majority of people thought I was a retard for.

I agree :beer:

About Ashley that is, not about you being a retard.... :vroam:

OMorange&blue
06-16-2008, 07:42 PM
Hey, anybody seen lex? I figured he'd be in here somewhere.

DenBronx
06-16-2008, 07:47 PM
i'll eat crow on simeon rice. i thought the dude would really help out.

i cant eat crow on walker because when he was healthy he was a beast. he also might be a little mentaly messed up from the dwill shooting. besides with all the new wr's this could be a blessing in disguise.

TXBRONC
06-16-2008, 09:15 PM
i'll eat crow on simeon rice. i thought the dude would really help out.

i cant eat crow on walker because when he was healthy he was a beast. he also might be a little mentaly messed up from the dwill shooting. besides with all the new wr's this could be a blessing in disguise.

Hey it was a roll of the dice with Rice as it was with Adams unfortunately we came up with snake eyes with both players.

Lonestar
06-16-2008, 09:38 PM
I like Q now from a he was a good kid and got no respect because he was short type of thing. Still think he could have been special had he not torn up his knee.

Everyone was bashing him because he was shy tot eh point he would not interview and they thought him stuck up.

Lots of folks thought tater was the next poorti$$$ ahahahahahah..

Delta ahahahahahah

foster ahahahahahah

ashleyahahahahahah

I also like Jake and think he could have done well had he been given the same offensive toys that greasy had or Jay seems to have..

Might not have been the most reverent guy nor had the big arm. But the guy flat won games when the rest of the team showed up..

I used to think mikey walked on water have found out he is not the guy I thought he was.. Full of BS and hype and could not draft to save his sole.. great coach but past that NADA..

WARHORSE
06-16-2008, 09:45 PM
Ive never been wrong.

Hit the nail on the head every time.

My senses are uncanny.

My scouting without flaw.

My talent beyond talent.

And my nature is to be 100% right all the time.

And I see behind the visage.

NOBODY KNOWS WHAT ITS LIKE...............TO BE THE SAD MAN....................TO BE THE BAD MAN.......................BEHIND BLUE EYES...........(ok..theyre brown)

If football sense were a car, Id be a Lambourghini Countach.

(I reserve the right to be completely and totally wrong at any and all times, and theres nothing you can do about it)

:D

TXBRONC
06-16-2008, 10:07 PM
Ive never been wrong.

Hit the nail on the head every time.

My senses are uncanny.

My scouting without flaw.

My talent beyond talent.

And my nature is to be 100% right all the time.

And I see behind the visage.

NOBODY KNOWS WHAT ITS LIKE...............TO BE THE SAD MAN....................TO BE THE BAD MAN.......................BEHIND BLUE EYES...........(ok..theyre brown)

If football sense were a car, Id be a Lambourghini Countach.

(I reserve the right to be completely and totally wrong at any and all times, and theres nothing you can do about it)

:D

Whatever you say chief. :D

omac
06-16-2008, 10:56 PM
Gotta admit I was wrong about Javon and Travis, not on ability, but on character. I kept giving them the benefit of the doubt, then they'd do something else, with Travis being too lazy to show up in team activities, and Javon getting involved in another partying altercation.

TXBRONC
06-16-2008, 11:15 PM
Gotta admit I was wrong about Javon and Travis, not on ability, but on character. I kept giving them the benefit of the doubt, then they'd do something else, with Travis being too lazy to show up in team activities, and Javon getting involved in another partying altercation.

I think that's where most of us get it wrong.

omac
06-16-2008, 11:46 PM
I think that's where most of us get it wrong.

Thanks, man. :cheers:

Bronco Bible
06-17-2008, 08:53 AM
I like you Dread was impressed w/Ian Gold:listen:

Thnikkaman
06-17-2008, 09:32 AM
I usually fall for the character question as well. Not on this board, but I know that I have put on my blue and orange colored glasses and thought that player A wouldn't act like a total Jack Ass for the Broncos.

TXBRONC
06-17-2008, 09:39 AM
I like you Dread was impressed w/Ian Gold:listen:

I think Gold had played very well until last year. And for him I think its just his skills have deteriorated.

Flatinum
06-17-2008, 09:44 AM
Travis Henry - thought running back problems were solved.

Wesley Duke - thought he might be the second coming of Antonio Gates.

Courtney Brown - thought we'd see why he was picked no.1.

BroncoJoe
06-17-2008, 09:56 AM
No one has mentioned Clarett? :heh:

In all honesty, I thought it was a risky pick, but also thought he had talent and didn't really mind the fact we took a flier on him with a compensatory pick.

Too bad he was (is) a complete and total idiot.

BigDaddyBronco
06-17-2008, 10:20 AM
This one is going to hurt...

Dale Carter - thought he was all world and just had a few issues off the field that Shanny would help with, didn't know he was washed up as well

Darryl Gardener - the year before with the Redskins he was great, then he came to us and went to IHOP

Javon Walker - thought his me-first stuff in Green Bay was a result of money and Brett Favre calling him out, didn't know he was a pouter and malcontent

Anthony Miller - thought he and Elway were going to be gold, but other than one year they just never seemed to hook up on the deep throws

WARHORSE
06-17-2008, 10:38 AM
OK OK.

I used to pump up Brian Griese.

There.

I said it.

:tsk:

Kaylore
06-17-2008, 11:10 AM
I thought Lenny Walls was better than Kelly Herndon. Herndon had a pick in the super bowl. Though I guess Herndon is unemployed and Walls plays for the Ravens right now. (Why do the Ravens like all our players?)

BroncoNut
06-17-2008, 11:38 AM
I read the first line of this thread and the first thing that came to mind was "Dread, Shut the **** up" Sorry Dread, just being honest. Nothing personal

Dreadnought
06-17-2008, 01:13 PM
I read the first line of this thread and the first thing that came to mind was "Dread, Shut the **** up" Sorry Dread, just being honest. Nothing personal

? :confused:

BOSSHOGG30
06-17-2008, 01:25 PM
This will be hard... I have the tendency to remember the good I do over the bad. I call it selective analyzing.

1) I was on the Cedric Cobb bandwagon with HD

2) I wanted Vince Young more than Cutler

3) I thought David Terrell was going to be a very good pick up for the Broncos.

4) I was in full support of Jim Bates over Coyer

LordTrychon
06-17-2008, 01:35 PM
This will be hard... I have the tendency to remember the good I do over the bad. I call it selective analyzing.

1) I was on the Cedric Cobb bandwagon with HD

2) I wanted Vince Young more than Cutler

3) I thought David Terrell was going to be a very good pick up for the Broncos.

4) I was in full support of Jim Bates over Coyer

:eek:

Tell me you've changed your mind! :eek:

BOSSHOGG30
06-17-2008, 01:37 PM
:eek:

Tell me you've changed your mind! :eek:

I don't know what I was thinking... that is for sure.... I was blown away by his college dominance and lost trace of what it really takes to be a successful NFL QB.

Inkana7
06-17-2008, 01:48 PM
Darius Watts...

slim
06-17-2008, 01:48 PM
Travis Henry

Jeff Lewis

Chris Howard (this draft was weird, we took two RB and neither one made an impact).

Chris Watson

Kevin Kasper

jrelway
06-17-2008, 02:06 PM
i thought tatum bell and darius watts were going to be superstars. :tsk:

Thnikkaman
06-17-2008, 02:36 PM
Mike Bell

BOSSHOGG30
06-17-2008, 03:31 PM
Hopefully I will be eating some Clady Crow!

G_Money
06-17-2008, 03:49 PM
I was okay with getting Ian Gold back. Little did I know that a) he now sucked and was a shell of his former self and b) that DJ was only capable of being a monster at one LB position - the one Gold was taking.

I figured Griese would be a good QB for us - we need a QB who can understand the offense, not one with a giant arm. It's not like Joe Montana had the greatest arm ever. How I underestimated his lack of arm and leadership.

I was not against getting Henry and Graham in here. I wasn't jumping for joy, but I figured that getting a blocking TE for half the cost of a mediocre guard in that market was a reasonable decision, and that getting a short-term, big-money deal for Henry (where all his cap space was gone after 3 years) was also acceptable. I was thinking "another Mike Anderson for a few before we get a younger and better solution in here." To which I say "HA!" in Henry's case, and am still waiting for the Broncos to figure out what to do with Graham and how best to deploy him.

And I was very happy to get Javon. Favre did him wrong in GB and the whole situation was untenable. I figured he could be great for us, even with his primadonna issues, since ALL wides are high-maintenance, and he was great - for one year. Then more injuries and whining and crying. Just not the right guy.

*shrugs* Now I just hope that all the cryers and whiners are off the team, and the guys who are here WANT to succeed and are CAPABLE of succeeding. I don't wanna be wrong any more. ;)

~G

frauschieze
06-17-2008, 03:54 PM
Mike Bell

I am guilty of this as well.

tubby
06-17-2008, 03:55 PM
After beating NE in the divisional game, I thought Jake Plummer and the Denver Broncos were going to win Super Bowl XL.

Ziggy
06-17-2008, 04:34 PM
I once thought that Larry Canada was going to be the next great back in Denver. I loved watching "the Mailman".

dogfish
06-17-2008, 04:47 PM
i guess we all deserve this. . . .

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/7479/failgv6.jpg

Dreadnought
06-17-2008, 04:58 PM
i guess we all deserve this. . . .

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/7479/failgv6.jpg

LMFAO! Thats the whole point of the thread. Everyone who posted here should be reminded of it next time we get all pompous and go off on the Bronco Staff. We do however get some points for integrity and honesty. A few who most ought to have posted here seemed to avoid the thread like grim death :D

BroncoJoe
06-17-2008, 05:02 PM
LMFAO! Thats the whole point of the thread. Everyone who posted here should be reminded of it next time we get all pompous and go off on the Bronco Staff. We do however get some points for integrity and honesty. A few who most ought to have posted here seemed to avoid the thread like grim death :D

And, there's a few members who still think that someone we cut is going to be a superstar this year....

Anyway, I was guilty of the Plummer bandwagon as well. Not that I didn't want to see Cutler as the eventual starter, but I did want Jake to finish the whole year and not throw Cutler in there too early.

tubby
06-17-2008, 05:04 PM
I was wrong about The Hoss and The Bulldozer.

slim
06-17-2008, 05:19 PM
I confess, I missed the boat on Ted Gregory.

Regards,

Dan Reeves

dogfish
06-17-2008, 05:31 PM
I confess, I missed the boat on Ted Gregory.

Regards,

Dan Reeves

don't forget tommy maddox!

:laugh:

Dreadnought
06-17-2008, 05:32 PM

I swear Reeves had a lifetime man-crush on that stiff. Gawd.

broncohead
06-17-2008, 06:06 PM
T. Bell, M. Bell, Foster, Lelie, Henry, Watts, and there are probably some others! Hopefully some current players don't make my list! I know there where a lot of people on Nate Jacksons jockstrap. Where are you guys? Fess up!

haroldthebarrel
06-17-2008, 06:22 PM
the most obvious ones are gardner, Simeon Rice, Courtney Browo and Foster.
Gardner was a stud in Washington though, defensive mvp, and Foster just lost it after he blew that cincy dudes knee. put in foster there since i defended him into the end.
I also was on the Cobbs bandwagon come to think of it.

As far as draft choices go I was wrong on Tatum Bell, Lelie, Clarrett and I do think I might have thought Portis would be just as good as Bell eventually became.
I deserve a disclaimer on Clarrett though because it was, and I still think it was a decent boom of bust gamble. its such an overhyped bust when he is put into the all time ever lists of busts.
I have learned my lesson with characters as I think history shows that Shanahan cant get them to cope unless we are really winning a lot.

And I will perhaps bite the dust on Royal. I thought it was a bad pick, and while I still think we could have drafted better in Laws or Pozlovny, I think the comparisons to Steve Smith are laughable. the latter actually was a stud in college as a receiver.
I dont hate him anymore though, and I hope he is just a stud returner. anything more then all is cool.

tubby
06-17-2008, 09:50 PM
T. Bell, M. Bell, Foster, Lelie, Henry, Watts, and there are probably some others! Hopefully some current players don't make my list! I know there where a lot of people on Nate Jacksons jockstrap. Where are you guys? Fess up!

Nate Jackson is going to RULE this year.

:defense:

Dreadnought
06-17-2008, 09:55 PM
Nate Jackson is going to RULE this year.

:defense:

Absoluteley! I've gotten to respect Dream's analysis of the roster pretty well, but he is just flat dead wrong on Nate Jackson!

P.S., feel free to bookmark this post to shove up my wazoo in the event I'm totally wrong here...Fair is fair. We'll never ever let Travis Henry go for some posters, after all...

TXBRONC
06-17-2008, 10:09 PM
This one is going to hurt...

Dale Carter - thought he was all world and just had a few issues off the field that Shanny would help with, didn't know he was washed up as well

Darryl Gardener - the year before with the Redskins he was great, then he came to us and went to IHOP

Javon Walker - thought his me-first stuff in Green Bay was a result of money and Brett Favre calling him out, didn't know he was a pouter and malcontent

Anthony Miller - thought he and Elway were going to be gold, but other than one year they just never seemed to hook up on the deep throws

I don't Carter was washed up his problem that he was cocaine addict.

TXBRONC
06-17-2008, 10:17 PM
After beating NE in the divisional game, I thought Jake Plummer and the Denver Broncos were going to win Super Bowl XL.

And Mike Croel and his buddy Kenny Walker (I think that's what his name was :confused:).

pnbronco
06-17-2008, 11:53 PM
Courtney Brown - I really thought he was the answer to the front line.

I should say Jake, because it just never panned out after the AFC game, but I still miss the man.

Timmy!
06-18-2008, 12:54 AM
Put me down for the following:

Plummer
Henry
Lelie
Warren
Putz
Gold

Man...I'm dumb :tsk:

Bronco Warrior
09-30-2009, 06:38 PM
http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=104&pictureid=865

Welcome to the Crow Cafe'..located in Lovely Dove Valley, Colorado with restraunts at Mile High and where-ever you live. We are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week ,over 16 weeks a year. We are commited to serving up the highest quality Crow and Crow side dishes with a smile.

Feel free to have seconds if you are hungry and don't miss our Buffet every Sunday Night and on occassion Monday Evening.

Dreadnought
09-30-2009, 06:42 PM
Revived from last year. I'm hoping to use this thread later

Bronco Warrior
09-30-2009, 06:44 PM
Me personally I could eat here every day but today I'm gonna eat crow because I had been calling Correl Buckhalter "BustHalter" from the day we got him and I looked over his career stas and was convinced it was just a stupid pick up. Well it appears that I was wrong in a big way! So that is my serving for the day!

Denver Native (Carol)
09-30-2009, 06:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OaklandRaider

And yes, JaMarcus Russell is more talented than John Elway

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

OK - I FEEL BETTER

Dreadnought
09-30-2009, 07:01 PM
Quote:

OK - I FEEL BETTER

Brilliant, Carol! That one can never ever be topped! I could say Deltha O'Neil > Champ Bailey and it still wouldn't be as silly as that one

Bronco Warrior
09-30-2009, 07:03 PM
Oh Damn! My thread was hijacked! LMAO! Was hoping to create special Crow dishes that people could order but I got lazy and posted it before I had finish it all up!:banghead::throwrock::woot:

horsepig
09-30-2009, 07:09 PM
I dont think ive had any bad assessments. I guess my first will probably be what ever happens with Royal. Ive been tooting his horn before the draft and after we got him. So if he fails to live up the expectations that i think he can live up too than i guess i will be eating a lot of crow. I guess if there is one player that i will never live down (although i wasnt on a forum at the time he was drafted) it would have been Nash. I watched what he did at Tennesse and thought he would be the shiznit. Ooops.

Yeah North, when they picked him I wondered who the hell is this guy, then I watched that "Revolution" vid and called my old lady in and said, "Wow! Look at this frikkin kid! Wow!"

I hate to admit it, but when Mike signed Daryl Gardener I thought, wow, what a frikkin freak of nature. This guy's got it all and should come in here and just tear the living shit out of anything that gets in his way.

I thought Mikey could get him to play-WRONG!

horsepig
09-30-2009, 07:18 PM
I got to own up to Javon Walker too. I heard that quote from a KC coach at the draft who said more or less, "Oh, shit, that's all they need is a great downfield receiver with Plummer."

I still think Walker could have had a few really good years here.

I also fell a little for all the hype about how Niko was soooo good, only didn't get to play because of Tatupu?.

broncophan
09-30-2009, 07:39 PM
How about Bobby Humphrey......I always liked the guy.....helluva runner...
Had a couple good years.......but held out.....wanted more money.....and went downhill from there.

frauschieze
09-30-2009, 08:49 PM
Mike Bell

I am guilty of this as well.

Well hell. Maybe I ate my crow too early. :lol:

Dreadnought
09-30-2009, 08:58 PM
I got to own up to Javon Walker too. I heard that quote from a KC coach at the draft who said more or less, "Oh, shit, that's all they need is a great downfield receiver with Plummer."

I still think Walker could have had a few really good years here.

I also fell a little for all the hype about how Niko was soooo good, only didn't get to play because of Tatupu?.

Niko Koutouvides - the man who was going to fix the soggy middle of our run defense. I was right with you. I couldn't believe he couldn't even beat out friggin Nate Webster

Foochacho
10-01-2009, 01:11 AM
Niko Koutouvides - the man who was going to fix the soggy middle of our run defense. I was right with you. I couldn't believe he couldn't even beat out friggin Nate Webster

Thats the seattle fans fault. They talked him up like that. It's not our faults that seattle fans are idiots and got our hopes up.

Poet
10-01-2009, 01:23 AM
Odell Thurman....oh damn him to hell.

Whoops, wrong message board. :D

Timmy!
10-01-2009, 01:40 AM
Quote:

OK - I FEEL BETTER

It's been in my sig for months :D

FanInAZ
10-01-2009, 03:16 AM
1. Our :defense:: I didn't believe that there was anyway that any one could turn it around in a single off season.

2. The Bengals: Much better then I thought and might still be in the play-off hunt in December.

3. The Raiders: I actually worried that we might loose that sig bet to DS.

4. The Chiefs: I thought they would rise above the Raiders for 3rd in the division

5. Brett Favre: I thought he would be a liability to the Vikes. Then again, the season is still young and their schedule is about to get tougher. This confession could be retracted, but I had to give it now to set up #6. (I'm saving the best for last.)

6. Adrian Peterson: Yes, Peterson! My #1 FF back that I would have avoided drafting had I not had last minute computer issues kept me from participating. That's because I figured that opponents were going to be packing 8 and 9 in the box on every play and daring Favre to beat them.

Prior to week 1, I sent out a message to my entire league that he was on the trading block. The computer's auto picks left me with horrible WRs. I wanted a package that would upgrade that position without gutting my RBs. My week 1 opponent responded and we eventually agree to a 3 for 3 offer. The RBs that would be part of the exchange: He would get Peterson and I would get Gore. I though it was a done deal. However, another trade that he had made prior to our went through and he felt like he no longer needed. So, he sent a message to the league members asking them to veto the trade for that reason and they accommodated him. So, he kept Gore and I'm still "stuck" with Peterson.

The results of our non-trade. I beat him in our week 1 match up. I'm 1 of 7 teams in our 12 team league with 2-1 record, he's 1 of 4 @ 1-2. I'm ranked #1 in our league in total FF points for the year, he's #9.

Dreadnought
09-06-2011, 01:19 PM
Well, this relic has sat unused since the six game win streak that opened the McDaniels era. Time to revisit it.

Come, brothers and sisters; unburden yourselves. All who believed that idiot had a real plan, that he would bring the "Patriot Way" and championships to Denver, and who believed his various serial fabrications, unburden yourselves and confess. It feels good. Really.

claymore
09-06-2011, 01:23 PM
Jake Plummer, I argued and argued with my dad. I did give up after the AFCC game though........ I was positive we were going to draft Linehart. Thank goodness Jay C fell in our lap. I love that kid.

Mother ******. :mad:

Nomad
09-06-2011, 01:31 PM
I had hope McDaniels would and could help this franchise, obviously he failed and he made a mess of this franchise, so my wait and see approach failed as well. But I still stand on what I believe happened in the Culter mess until proven otherwise, then again I'll always believe he was the wrong choice over Ngata.

Poet
09-06-2011, 01:32 PM
I.....wow...I really am almost always right.

SOCALORADO.
09-06-2011, 01:34 PM
Mother ******. :mad:

Yeah, right there with ya! Go check the Omane, i was like 1 of 6 posters who desperately lobbied to draft Cutler, and imagine my suprise and total happiness when shanny did! Talk about a nightmare ending.

I always liked Sam Brandon. I thought he was the FS in DEN. I know his was a injury issue more than anything, but he was never fully healthy.

Lenny Walls too. Jeez, he looked good for a couple games..............

MOtorboat
09-06-2011, 01:37 PM
I.....wow...I really am almost always right.

:pound:

BroncoNut
09-06-2011, 01:41 PM
I would have to say that I expected more out f Ron Dayne than I should have. I am biased towards the big 10 a bit, wathced plenty of him in college. didn't think he'd turn out to be such of pussyboy

Dzone
09-06-2011, 01:43 PM
Has anyone ever had crow? I hear it tastes like chicken

Slick
09-06-2011, 01:44 PM
I wanted vince young over cutler that draft.

Thank you sir may i have another.

I also said lets be patient with regards to mcdaniels even though he made moves that had me scratching my head from the get go. I tried keeping the faith for the most part until the raider game. He didnt miss those tackles or throw interceptions but it became all too clear we were lost.

Mobile Post via http://Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Nomad
09-06-2011, 01:45 PM
I would have to say that I expected more out f Ron Dayne than I should have. I am biased towards the big 10 a bit, wathced plenty of him in college. didn't think he'd turn out to be such of pussyboy

Overall, you're probably right, but he did deserve his pumpkin pie on that Thanksgiving night!:D

Northman
09-06-2011, 01:47 PM

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/200911/orton2_500.jpg

Northman
09-06-2011, 01:47 PM
Overall, you're probably right, but he did deserve his pumpkin pie on that Thanksgiving night!:D

He owned the Cowboys that night. :D

Nomad
09-06-2011, 01:48 PM

Have you ever shot a crow? They stink and I'm sure they taste how they smell!

Poet
09-06-2011, 01:49 PM

I am your better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MOtorboat
09-06-2011, 01:52 PM
I probably should give up on my "Free Brady" campaign.

Northman
09-06-2011, 01:53 PM
I probably should give up on my "Free Brady" campaign.

Might be a safe bet.

MOtorboat
09-06-2011, 01:53 PM
I am your better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you drink your lunch?

Dzone
09-06-2011, 01:56 PM
Have you ever shot a crow? They stink and I'm sure they taste how they smell!

Never shot one, but have eaten it before. haha...Early in camp I thought Kyle McCarthy would win a starting job. I even predicted it on here. Then he got cut.:lol:

Poet
09-06-2011, 01:56 PM
You don't drink bacon, Mo.

MOtorboat
09-06-2011, 01:58 PM
You don't drink bacon, Mo.

Here's some crow for you...

You picked the wrong team.

Nomad
09-06-2011, 01:59 PM
Never shot one, but have eaten it before. :

Were you drunk?:lol:

Poet
09-06-2011, 02:00 PM
Here's some crow for you...

You picked the wrong team.

You mean born in the wrong city, idiot.

Thnikkaman
09-06-2011, 02:01 PM
I believed McDaniels with time was going to make this team a winner again. I thought Hillis had hands made of butter and was not going to make it in the league.

Water under the bridge.

Thnikkaman
09-06-2011, 02:02 PM

City, state, part of the country.

All the same thing.

BigDaddyBronco
I believed McDaniels with time was going to make this team a winner again. I thought Hillis had hands made of butter and was not going to make it in the league.

Water under the bridge.
I thought the Quinn for Hillis trade was a good deal at the time. Chris Sims made me feel that way.

BroncoNut
Beradley Van Pelt. i thought he was going to be a franchise quarterback

Dzone
09-06-2011, 02:03 PM
Were you drunk?:lol:

Ive only eaten the metaphorical crow
Makes you wonder where the term "Eat crow" came from. I suppose it is because real crow tastes like shit.

Nomad
09-06-2011, 02:04 PM
Beradley Van Pelt. i thought he was going to be a franchise quarterback

Dude was fun to watch at CSU!

Poet
City, state, part of the country.

All the same thing.

Hmm...by that logic...

Go Pack go!

Thnikkaman
I thought Tommy Maddox was the QB of the future.

Thnikkaman
09-06-2011, 02:05 PM
Hmm...by that logic...

Go Pack go!

Wrong side of the lake my friend. ;)

MOtorboat
09-06-2011, 02:08 PM

Nut is from Iowa. Who is he supposed to root for?

Poet
09-06-2011, 02:09 PM
nut is from iowa. Who is he supposed to root for?

the ******* bengals biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitch!

Poet
09-06-2011, 02:10 PM
Mo just got destroyed.

Get that trash outta this thread!

BigDaddyBronco
09-06-2011, 02:11 PM
Why would anyone outside of a 100 mile radius root for the Bengals? They are on par with the Clippers for ineptitude.

Thnikkaman
09-06-2011, 02:17 PM
why would anyone outside of a 100 mile radius root for the bengals? They are on par with the clippers for ineptitude.

1988?

BigDaddyBronco
09-06-2011, 02:21 PM
1988?

Oh yea, that is true. Maybe since 1990 they are on par with the Clippers.

Remember Krumrie breaking his leg in the SB. Sick.

Dreadnought
09-06-2011, 02:22 PM
Oh yea, that is true. Maybe since 1990 they are on par with the Clippers.

Remember Krumrie breaking his leg in the SB. Sick.

The Bengals are the AFC's version of the Lions, without the charisma or tradition.

Ravage!!!
09-06-2011, 02:25 PM
The Bengals are the AFC's version of the Lions, without the charisma or tradition.

wait wait... its a dead up tie with cleveland on that.

MOtorboat
09-06-2011, 02:25 PM
Plus...what is up with those stripes...a two year old could do better than that...

Dreadnought
09-06-2011, 02:32 PM
wait wait... its a dead up tie with cleveland on that.

Otto Graham. Jim Brown. Marion Motley. Paul Brown. Lou Groza

versus

Cris Collinsworth and Ochocinco

Game. Set. Match. Browns win. Browns>Bengals.

Nomad
09-06-2011, 02:35 PM
Otto Graham. Jim Brown. Marion Motley. Paul Brown. Lou Groza

versus

Cris Collinsworth and Ochocinco

Game. Set. Match. Browns win. Browns>Bengals.

:confused:Is the Ravens the old Browns or expansion OR is the new Browns the expansion or still the same old Browns?!?

Slick
09-06-2011, 02:37 PM
in king and his poor bengal bretheren's defense, anthony munoz is worth mentioning dread.

Dreadnought
:confused:Is the Ravens the old Browns or expansion OR is the new Browns the expansion or still the same old Browns?!?

The Ravens are the Ratbirds and they count for less than nothing except for leading the League in beating murder raps. The Browns are the Browns - you cabn tell from the plain brown helmets

Ravage!!!

hah.. ask a Browns fan and they will tell you that the Ravens are the 'expansion' and the Browns of today are just the same old Browns... even though everyone else knows its the other way around :elefant:

Nomad
in king and his poor bengal bretheren's defense, anthony munoz is worth mentioning dread.

Ickey shuffle!:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f-m-Fmd1lY

BroncoNut
09-06-2011, 02:38 PM
Why would anyone outside of a 100 mile radius root for the Bengals? They are on par with the Clippers for ineptitude.

we used to call the bengals the bungholes when we were little. that was like calling them buttholes. :lol:

Nomad
09-06-2011, 02:39 PM
hah.. ask a Browns fan and they will tell you that the Ravens are the 'expansion' and the Browns of today are just the same old Browns... even though everyone else knows its the other way around :elefant:

Ok, that's what I thought!

Nick
09-06-2011, 02:39 PM
O'Neal, Lelie, tatum, Courtney Brown, LeSueur, Marcus Thomas, and was a big clarett supporter :lol:

Other then that I haven't been to bad... but hopefully I am wrong with the current state of the Broncos. :tsk:

Nomad
09-06-2011, 02:41 PM
The Ravens are the Ratbirds and they count for less than nothing except for leading the League in beating murder raps. The Browns are the Browns - you cabn tell from the plain brown helmets

Yep! And they murder the BRONCOS in Baltimore every time!:tsk:

Poet
09-06-2011, 03:36 PM
Paul Brown...Bengals...Inventor of the West Coast offense...

Anthony Munoz...best left tackle ever.

Ken Anderson...retired as the best passer in league history and should be in the Hall of Fame.

Browns...never been to a Super Bowl....

So now I'm the better of Mo and old man Dreadnought.

This makes me miss Claymore.

Go Chargers!

slim
09-06-2011, 03:49 PM
we used to call the bengals the bungholes when we were little. that was like calling them buttholes. :lol:

Good one :welcome:

weazel
09-06-2011, 03:51 PM
Because we are all self-styled experts, most of us have second guessed Shanahan, Sundquist et al. in some of their personnel decisions. I am guilty as charged. I think it would do us some collective good to remind ourselves of the times that we were really very badly off target in our own assessments. I'll start by coming clean with the following three bits of stupidity on my part.

1) Lenny Walls; the first year we had this guy I was sure I had seen the future of our CB situation for the next decade. The guy was a freak of nature, tall, big, and fast - just the guy to shut down Randy Moss and Ocho Stinko!

I neglected the fact that he had no instincts at all and couldn't hit or tackle a jot.

2) Ian Gold - few Bronco fans were happier when Gold came back; I had hated it when we lost him in the first place. I always saw him a smart and lightning fast. I had not considered that after his knee injury the "fast" part of the equation was nearly out the window, leaving him a mediocre undersized LB who hasn't played all that smart the last couple of years either.

3) And the big one - I admit it here publicly, I thought Brian Griese was the long term answer to succeed Elway. From the Green Bay game in 1999 to the Oakland Monday Night Football win in 2000 we seem to forget just how accurate and mistake free BG was; and with that Oakland win he showed guts as well. He seemed brainy enough to handle the Denver offense, and being named to the Pro Bowl in 2000 seemed to me just a preview of things to come.

I watched in disbelief as he came apart like a cheap suit in 2001, and choked away a Playoff spot at the end of 2002. It wasn't until Griese's final catastrophic game with Denver that I finally woke up and gave up on the guy. In the end he had a crappy temperment, no leadership skills, and couldn't handle pressure.

Anyone else care to 'fess up?

and he ended McAffrey's career...

and his interception ended Terrell Davis' as well

Northman
09-06-2011, 04:32 PM
Yep! And they murder the BRONCOS in Baltimore every time!:tsk:

Indeed. Seen it first hand the last two years. :tsk:

Northman
09-06-2011, 04:33 PM
and he ended McAffrey's career...

and his interception ended Terrell Davis' as well

Yes, he did those things on purpose just like he drew it up.

Poet
09-06-2011, 04:39 PM

Griese is the ASSASSIN!

FanInAZ
09-06-2011, 04:44 PM

I had a couple of possible answers to your question, so I did some research.

If you go to the Browns' official website and click on their team's history tab, they present the "old Browns" as part of their team's history on every page in that section.

If you look at the Raven's official website and click on their history tab, you will find a link title, Baltimore Football History. If you go to that page, you will find that it's divided into two sections: Pre-Raven's History & Raven's History. Their All-Time Roster page only goes back to '96, the 1st season the Ravens played in Baltimore.

All of this confirms that the 2nd of my 2 possible responses is correct. The Browns franchise was suspended when the "old Browns" moved to Baltimore. Baltimore's new franchise was deemed an "expansion team." The "new Browns" are a reactivation of the original Browns' franchise.

weazel
09-06-2011, 04:47 PM

it was revenge!! Greise injured himself at TD's house, so he thought he would give him some payback!

hey if the Tebow fans can have conspiracy theories, so can the McAffrey fans

HORSEPOWER 56
09-06-2011, 05:06 PM
Lenny Walls - like dread, I loved the whole 6'4" CB thing... too bad he sucked.

Knowshon Moreno - nowhere near a bust and I still support him, but after watching him tear up the SEC (and the rest of college football) for 2 years, I figured he'd be our version of Adrian Peterson. I still have hope, but this is kind of his last year for me. If you can't run in this offense, you can't anywhere.

Jamal Williams/Bannan/Green - I was foolishly satiated by the promise that these guys, all from great 3-4 defenses, would make up for our lack of drafting D-line, at least for a couple years until we could draft some. I jumped on the wagon and boy was I fooled. :mad: I mean, how do you get outplayed by Ron Fields, Vonnie Holliday, and Ryan McBean (our DL in 2009)? I have no idea, but they did.

Kapaibro
09-06-2011, 05:08 PM
I honestly wanted to believe that Josh McDaniels would do a great job for us.

slim
09-06-2011, 05:10 PM
I am almost always wrong.

FanInAZ
09-06-2011, 05:21 PM
Paul Brown...Bengals...Inventor of the West Coast offense...

Anthony Munoz...best left tackle ever.

Ken Anderson...retired as the best passer in league history and should be in the Hall of Fame.

Browns...never been to a Super Bowl....

So now I'm the better of Mo and old man Dreadnought.

This makes me miss Claymore.

Go Chargers!

The Browns:
Pre-Superbowl Era
9 League Championship appearances (I won't count the 4 AAFC league championships that got while slapping around that league's inferior talent.)
4 League championships (again, I won't count the 4 AAFC league championships that got while slapping around that league's inferior talent.)

Superbowl Era
3 Conference championship appearances.
0 Conference championship wins/Superbowl appearances
0 Superbowl win

The Bengal:
2 Conference championship appearances.
2 Conference championship wins/Superbowl appearances
0 Superbowl wins

Conclusion, although the Browns haven't won the league championship since the Superbowl became the league's championship game, they nevertheless do have 4 championships from before. The Bengals have 0, period!

By the way King, it wouldn’t be a good idea for you to get your Bengals into an all-time talent contest with any team except those that entered the league after ’70. Getting into an all-time talent contest with the Browns is something that maybe a dozen teams could do without getting trounced; neither your Bengals or our Broncos are amongst them.

I Eat Staples
09-06-2011, 05:41 PM
Well, this relic has sat unused since the six game win streak that opened the McDaniels era. Time to revisit it.

Come, brothers and sisters; unburden yourselves. All who believed that idiot had a real plan, that he would bring the "Patriot Way" and championships to Denver, and who believed his various serial fabrications, unburden yourselves and confess. It feels good. Really.

I confess that I was right from day one.

Softskull
09-06-2011, 06:33 PM
Darius Watts for me. I'm still waiting for Ashlie Lelie to make his comeback. I believe in you Ashlie. :tinfoil3:

Lancane
09-06-2011, 06:35 PM
I'm still eating and choking on crow over supporting McDaniels for the head coaching job.

Buff
09-06-2011, 07:39 PM
I honestly believed McDaniels was a step ahead of everyone in the personnel department... And I believed that right up until almost the very end. I didn't really turn on him until I read Mike Silver's piece about how his assistant coaches didn't like him or his management style.

I mean, I questioned the Hillis move, and I wondered about trading for Alphonso Smith, and I didn't really see Dick Quinn's 2nd rd potential... But damnit, I was convinced that McDaniels had access to information that us common folk did not. I was convinced that Bellichick had let him in on a secret winning formula (kind of like the Oakland A's Moneyball in baseball) where they valued personnel differently than most teams.

I really thought he was on the right track right up until the very end when info started to leak out from Dove Valley...

jhildebrand
09-06-2011, 07:42 PM
I'm still eating and choking on crow over supporting McDaniels for the head coaching job.

Keep chewing :D

I was NEVER on the McD band wagon and was all but ostracized because of my criticisms of the man and the sham that was 6-0!

While I had McD pegged perfectly I was wrong on Clady. I didn't think playing at Boise State would translate to NFL success despite his measurables.

Northman
09-06-2011, 07:46 PM

I was NEVER on the McD band wagon and was all but ostracized because of my criticisms of the man and the sham that was 6-0!

While I had McD pegged perfectly I was wrong on Clady. I didn't think playing at Boise State would translate to NFL success despite his measurables.

See, i didnt think the 6-0 start was a sham. Although i wasnt happy with the Cutler debacle the start was exactly what i thought it was. A great job by Nolan to get some underachievers on defense playing very well in HOPES that the offense would catch up behind a game manager in Orton. But once McD started using Nolan as a scapegoat all the while not taking responsibility himself for the poorous offensive output i was no longer a believer in him. The following just enforced all that.

Medford Bronco
09-06-2011, 07:47 PM
I thought Ashlie Leslie would be good. :doh:

Northman
09-06-2011, 07:50 PM
Mine is the worse one of all. I thought Marcus Nash would be tits for us. lol

TXBRONC
09-06-2011, 07:52 PM
Lelie and Tatum Bell. Neither one of the developed into top flight players. I still think they were better than some people give them credit for but they just weren't elite.

Medford Bronco
09-06-2011, 07:54 PM
Mine is the worse one of all. I thought Marcus Nash would be tits for us. lol

Tits would be better and probably produce more :laugh:

Lancane
09-06-2011, 07:55 PM
I honestly believed McDaniels was a step ahead of everyone in the personnel department... And I believed that right up until almost the very end. I didn't really turn on him until I read Mike Silver's piece about how his assistant coaches didn't like him or his management style.

I mean, I questioned the Hillis move, and I wondered about trading for Alphonso Smith, and I didn't really see Dick Quinn's 2nd rd potential... But damnit, I was convinced that McDaniels had access to information that us common folk did not. I was convinced that Bellichick had let him in on a secret winning formula (kind of like the Oakland A's Moneyball in baseball) where they valued personnel differently than most teams.

I really thought he was on the right track right up until the very end when info started to leak out from Dove Valley...

McDaniels lost my support the minute he tried to trade Cutler and then lied about it, and not only did he lie but he was immature in his handling of his own fubar afterwards. I knew from that moment on we were in a bad situation that wouldn't get much better under him, any coach dumb enough to try and trade a quarterback like Cutler for a quarterback like Cassel, not admit his mistake and then trade him for a quarterback like Orton is not a football genius, he's an F'n idiot.

Northman
09-06-2011, 07:56 PM
Tits would be better and probably produce more :laugh:

Indeed, especially Bryci's. :D

Lancane
09-06-2011, 07:57 PM

I have been and will continue to do so until Orton is off this team, they get a legit franchise quarterback and we actually fix the mistakes that sorry little Napoleon s.o.b caused to the franchise.
;)

BeefStew25
09-06-2011, 08:28 PM
I once put all my eggs in the Glenn Martinez basket.

BigDaddyBronco
09-06-2011, 08:30 PM

But he had a nice facial hair.

Poet
09-06-2011, 09:33 PM
The Browns:
Pre-Superbowl Era
9 League Championship appearances (I won't count the 4 AAFC league championships that got while slapping around that league's inferior talent.)
4 League championships (again, I won't count the 4 AAFC league championships that got while slapping around that league's inferior talent.)

Superbowl Era
3 Conference championship appearances.
0 Conference championship wins/Superbowl appearances
0 Superbowl win

The Bengal:
2 Conference championship appearances.
2 Conference championship wins/Superbowl appearances
0 Superbowl wins

Conclusion, although the Browns haven't won the league championship since the Superbowl became the league's championship game, they nevertheless do have 4 championships from before. The Bengals have 0, period!

By the way King, it wouldn’t be a good idea for you to get your Bengals into an all-time talent contest with any team except those that entered the league after ’70. Getting into an all-time talent contest with the Browns is something that maybe a dozen teams could do without getting trounced; neither your Bengals or our Broncos are amongst them.

They were dominant before the SB era. That means damn near nothing to the vast majority of the fans.

That's the same reason why bringing up the Steelers forty years (which are the worst in history) is irrelevant.

Football, well, REAL football began in the SB era.

Ravage!!!
09-06-2011, 09:37 PM
I know I don't care about the teams before the super bowl era

I Eat Staples
09-07-2011, 12:31 AM
I thought Brandon Lloyd was just going to fill a roster spot here.

At least I can be happy I was wrong about that one.

Canmore
09-07-2011, 12:51 AM
I don't have a large sin, but I was sure that there were going to be games missed. Thank God we only missed the Hall of Fame game. :beer:

weazel
09-07-2011, 10:39 AM
Well I have a #84 Javon Walker jersey that shows how wrong I was about a player...

BroncoNut
09-07-2011, 11:22 AM
Well I have a #84 Javon Walker jersey that shows how wrong I was about a player...

more like Javon Talker. He would talk the talk but not walk the walk

vandammage13
09-07-2011, 11:27 AM
I have to admit that I originally thought it was a bad idea to trade Clinton Portis for Champ Bailey.

Really thought Clinton was a special talent and definitely didn't forsee Champ being as productive this late in his career.

It was my Mel Kiper moment.

Juriga72
09-07-2011, 12:18 PM
Mine soft spot was...... Deltha O'Neal. I was like...Pro Bowl Rookie!!!!! and then he never once grew from making the same damn mistakes.

THEN the bastage makes another Pro Bowl team....

BroncoNut
09-07-2011, 12:46 PM

oh my gosh. I forgot all about him. Cement legs.

muse
09-08-2011, 04:25 AM

Hey, give it another 3 years and all will become clear. Right with you there. I still do defend the guy from time to time.

Anyway, too many players.

Lenny 'Big Swat' Walls. More like 'Big Tw@'.
In fairness though, I loved Matt McBriar in 03. We chose Micah Knorr instead. Derp.
Adrian Madise, before I realised that there was always a stud WR in every Shanny camp who didn't produce.
Darius Watts. Permanent nerve damage in the hands isn't a problem, right?
Charlie Adams. Thought he was ok.
Thought Roc Alexander was a viable option across from Champ.
Super Mario Fatafehi was awesome.
Daryl Gardener.
Loved us trading a 2nd for Javon. Which GB used to select Greg Jennings.
Greg Eslinger was the future at C
So was Chris Myers
And Montrae Holland is good in space
And why draft Clady when we have Erik Pears?
Glenn Martinez. Arriba!
Travis Henry was telling the truth
Josh Mallard needed more game time
Moss and Crowder would pan out sooner or later
Amon Gordon/Antwan Burton would do
Nate Webster was an adequate starter ('07, not '08)
Niko Koutouvides solved our MLB problem
Boss Bailey would stay healthy this time.
Selvin Young could do pretty well
Hamza Abdullah was a good replacement for Lynch.
Marlon McCree's a solid player, right (before I saw him play)
Calvin Lowry was the best waiver pick up ever (before I saw him play)
Carlton Powell would be a good NT.
Darcel McBath would be a long time starter
09 DL was going to be just fine really
Kyle Orton was going to be a 10 win QB last year. Only 7 short.

I think that's it for now. To be fair, before 08 I didn't get to see that many games each year...now I have Gamepass and am slightly more realistic. Slightly.

HORSEPOWER 56
09-08-2011, 06:42 AM
I thought Brandon Lloyd was just going to fill a roster spot here.

At least I can be happy I was wrong about that one.

No matter how much I try, I just can't believe in him. I always find myself waiting for the other shoe to drop. Maybe if he does it again this season. I don't know. I'm still scared we're going to sign him to a big money extension and he'll revert to his old ways.

More crow, I was totally wrong about Gaffney. I was really hard on him at first, especially because he was a McDaniels guy and former Pat. He was never spectacular for us, but he had good hands and made some important plays for us. The trade for Jarmon I consider a bad one. Gaffney was a good #2/#3 for us and I'm concerned about our WR position, especially if we keep playing Royal on STs. Royal has gotten nicked up a bit and it would be nice to have another guy to take the pressure off Lloyd. I love Decker and Thomas, but it is only their second year and both still have to prove their worth on the field in real games.

HORSEPOWER 56
09-08-2011, 06:48 AM

I do, too. He was awesome his first year with us and my wife bought me the jersey after the year was over. Luckily, it was one of the cheap replicas so I just took the name tape off the back and when people ask I tell them it was a Sharpe jersey that the name tape fell off of...

:redface:

TXBRONC
09-08-2011, 09:04 AM

It doesn't surprise me that McDaniels staff disliked him and his management style. When you take your entire staff before the owner just to embarrass them after a blowout loss it's not hard to see why they didn't like him.

I don't blame anyone for supporting the guy. He came from one a winning organization and he was the head coach. I supported him because I understood that if he failed that would mean the team would fail and obviously that's what happened. I still criticized his his horrible moves but that didn't mean I want him fail.

muse
09-08-2011, 10:57 AM
It doesn't surprise me that McDaniels staff disliked him and his management style. When you take your entire staff before the owner just to embarrass them after a blowout loss it's not hard to see why they didn't like him.

I don't blame anyone for supporting the guy. He came from one a winning organization and he was the head coach. I supported him because I understood that if he failed that would mean the team would fail and obviously that's what happened. I still criticized his his horrible moves but that didn't mean I want him fail.

Weirdly though, the players seemed to really like the guy. Lots of guys went out of their way to say good things about Josh and I don't remember hearing much negative chat about him after he left. That said, he really hated some players...looks like he scared Richard Quinn off of ever playing the sport again. Then there was Hillis in the doghouse. That said, that really wasn't much different to Shanny...except that Shanny won.

TXBRONC
09-08-2011, 11:37 AM
Weirdly though, the players seemed to really like the guy. Lots of guys went out of their way to say good things about Josh and I don't remember hearing much negative chat about him after he left. That said, he really hated some players...looks like he scared Richard Quinn off of ever playing the sport again. Then there was Hillis in the doghouse. That said, that really wasn't much different to Shanny...except that Shanny won.

There were a few players that said some positive things after McDaniels left but I don't know if there were that many that really liked him. As mentioned he had a run in with Hillis who never said a word about. Ryan Harris also took a lot grief from the guy but I can't recall him saying anything about one way or the other. I think most players are professional enough to not take parting shots as a guy heads out the door. Also during camp I remember one of the players (I think it was Bailey) commenting on how much calmer thing were in the locker room this year.

I couldn't disagree with you more that the only real difference between Shanahan and McDaniels was wins and losses. I don't recall Shanhan having disputes with as many players as McDaniels did. Even if we counted them up and numerically there the same number of instances, there is huge difference in my book between having five major disputes with over a 14 year period verse the same amount in a two year period. There was never an instance that I'm aware of that Shanahan took his entire coaching staff before the owner just to rake them over the coals. It seems to me Shanahan did a lot better job fostering loyalty and trust than McDaniels did. To me those huge differences.

muse
09-08-2011, 01:23 PM
I couldn't disagree with you more that the only real difference between Shanahan and McDaniels was wins and losses. I don't recall Shanhan having disputes with as many players as McDaniels did. Even if we counted them up and numerically there the same number of instances, there is huge difference in my book between having five major disputes with over a 14 year period verse the same amount in a two year period. There was never an instance that I'm aware of that Shanahan took his entire coaching staff before the owner just to rake them over the coals. It seems to me Shanahan did a lot better job fostering loyalty and trust than McDaniels did. To me those huge differences.

No, I meant in reference to the doghouse. Once you landed in Shanny's it was game over pretty much. But no, Shanny was generally fair to coaches although Coyer had some interesting things to say when he left.

titan
09-08-2011, 03:35 PM

To this day I don't think Lelie was a total bust - he had his moments (for example: highlight reel catch in Buffalo, 68 yards receiving and a td in 2006 AFC championship game loss vs Steelers). He did not play up to his #1 draft choice status but he was better than previous #1 wr pick Marcus Nash)

I was wrong (so far) on Knowshon. I saw lots of Georgia games where Moreno was dominant and I liked the pick at the time.

Also I really liked the Cutler pick. Jay may still turn out to be a top tier qb but I didn't expect the emotional baggage he had. Still think he had the most raw ability of any bronco qb not named Elway in franchise history.

TXBRONC
09-08-2011, 09:28 PM
No, I meant in reference to the doghouse. Once you landed in Shanny's it was game over pretty much. But no, Shanny was generally fair to coaches although Coyer had some interesting things to say when he left.

I would imagine that's pretty true with most head coaches depending on the circumstances.

TXBRONC
09-09-2011, 10:37 AM
To this day I don't think Lelie was a total bust - he had his moments (for example: highlight reel catch in Buffalo, 68 yards receiving and a td in 2006 AFC championship game loss vs Steelers). He did not play up to his #1 draft choice status but he was better than previous #1 wr pick Marcus Nash)

I was wrong (so far) on Knowshon. I saw lots of Georgia games where Moreno was dominant and I liked the pick at the time.

Also I really liked the Cutler pick. Jay may still turn out to be a top tier qb but I didn't expect the emotional baggage he had. Still think he had the most raw ability of any bronco qb not named Elway in franchise history.

That's how I feel about Lelie. No he didn't live up to his draft status but he wasn't as bad some people said he was.

I know this is pure speculation but I think if McDaniels hadn't been so foolish as to trading away Cutler he might have kept his job through this season.

Dzone
09-09-2011, 10:57 AM
Marcus Nash, what a joke