PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Bailey fine with playing special teams

Skinny
09-13-2007, 04:59 PM
By David Hunt
9/13/2007

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP) -- Champ Bailey has a message for all the Denver Broncos fans and fantasy football geeks who cringed at the sight of him playing special teams.

Relax.

The seven-time Pro Bowl cornerback who led the league in takeaways last season wonders why anybody would fret over his new, expanded role. He, for one, isn't going to worry about getting hurt covering kickoffs.

"Football is football. I'm out there 60 plays on defense; I can't worry about it on two or three on special teams," Bailey said Thursday.

The Broncos found themselves a couple of players short Sunday at Buffalo with Karl Paymah recovering from a concussion and Domonique Foxworth going down with a high ankle sprain.

So, Bailey played safety on kickoff coverage, serving as the last line of defense, and one of his two tackles saved a touchdown in Denver's 15-14 win over the Bills.

"I'll do whatever it takes," Bailey said. "I'll even kick if they want me to."

The Broncos don't need him doing that, but they sure appreciated his contributions Sunday, especially when he collared Terrence McGee after a 48-yard return.

Bailey said he couldn't recall his last special teams tackle but said he was willing to step in whenever he's called upon: "When Sunday comes around, it's time to get it done. I just want to win. Whatever it takes."

Depending on the health of others, Bailey can expect some more work on kickoff and even punt coverage, said new special teams coach Scott O'Brien, who has never been shy about using stars.

Coach Mike Shanahan said he had no hesitation agreeing to O'Brien's request to use Bailey.

"No, the great players want to play special teams," Shanahan said. "He made a couple big plays. That's why we have him there."

O'Brien's philosophy is players put their bodies in harm's way every day, whether it's from scrimmage or on special teams, so there's no sense is protecting anyone by leaving them off the coverage or return units.

"It's a game of controlled collision, period," O'Brien said. "That's why it's important for us coaches to teach proper technique."
And Bailey's as good a tackler as there is in the NFL, O'Brien said. "It's the same thing as when he plays cornerback, it's fundamental football," O'Brien said.

Defensive coordinator Jim Bates said he doesn't view Bailey's added responsibilities as unnecessarily exposing his best player.

"When a player can help us on special teams, that's as important a play as when we're on defense," Bates said.

"Any of our players can get hurt on a regular down. If Scottie O. needs help, our guys are available. Champ did a great job the other day."

And not just on special teams.

Bailey teamed up with Dre' Bly, acquired from Detroit after the shooting death of Darrent Williams, and limited the Bills' ballyhooed deep threat, Lee Evans, to 5 yards on two catches.

Still, it was his presence on special teams that had NFL fans abuzz. Special teams are usually for backups and some starters, but rarely does a star have to pull double duty.

"Normally, it's for guys who don't play as much," Bailey said. "If it calls for me to get out there and give us the best shot at winning the game, I'm going to do it."

Maybe he should ask for a bonus.

"We're working on that," he said with a laugh.

http://www.9news.com/sports/article.aspx?storyid=77249

Watchthemiddle
09-13-2007, 05:01 PM
Was there ever any doubt that this kid was a stud and one of the top 5 FOOTBALL players in the NFL?

What a good example as well to the younger guys. The ultimate team player.

Day1BroncoFan
09-13-2007, 05:02 PM
Great post! Proves Bailey is a true team player and an overall classy guy.

SR
09-13-2007, 05:07 PM
I had no idea he was even out there...I was watching the game at the bar and they had the audio on the Texans/Chefs game. :rolleyes:

Skinny
09-13-2007, 05:10 PM
I thought this was a great article.
"When a player can help us on special teams, that's as important a play as when we're on defense," Bates said.

"Any of our players can get hurt on a regular down. If Scottie O. needs help, our guys are available. Champ did a great job the other day."
"Normally, it's for guys who don't play as much," Bailey said. "If it calls for me to get out there and give us the best shot at winning the game, I'm going to do it."
I love the "We'll do what ever it takes to win" attitude the staff and players have.

I just keep getting more and more excited about this team and pumped up with every quote i read.

There just seems to be something diffrent, something special about this team and the attitude they have that i did'nt get from the team as a whole in years past.

Possibly as far back as when Elway played.

Maybe it's just me . . .

TXBRONC
09-13-2007, 05:15 PM
Bailey isn't the only starter playing on Special Teams, D.J. Williams is also playing on Special Teams.

Watchthemiddle
09-13-2007, 05:17 PM
I had no idea he was even out there...I was watching the game at the bar and they had the audio on the Texans/Chefs game. :rolleyes:

I didn't either until he saved a kickoff return for a TD by making a last second tackle.

I freaked out that he we even on the field.

I also saw DJ out there as well.

TXBRONC
09-13-2007, 05:25 PM
I'm not real keen on the idea of those guys being out on Special Teams.

Mike
09-13-2007, 05:37 PM

Neither am I. :2thumbsdown:

SmithOverTO
09-13-2007, 06:10 PM

In terms of injury, TX?

I would agree with ya, but after seeing the tackles Champ made last Sunday...he saved a touchdown easy. I just think with a player like Champ, y'know an All-Pro and a guy who can change a game every time he's near the ball, you have to put him in as many of those situations as possible.

Watchthemiddle
09-13-2007, 06:18 PM
In terms of injury, TX?

I would agree with ya, but after seeing the tackles Champ made last Sunday...he saved a touchdown easy. I just think with a player like Champ, y'know an All-Pro and a guy who can change a game every time he's near the ball, you have to put him in as many of those situations as possible.

I agree and I am torn over having a once in a lifetime player like Champ on the field 75% of the game.

I guess if he wants to do it and you can't find any other player to do it and its going to save some games then do it...but there has to be ONE guy who can do it besides your all world shut down CB.

If he plays it, I will support it. If not, then I will sleep easier...:D

Astrass
09-13-2007, 06:24 PM
He is an amazing player. I was curious when I saw him make that tackle.....and I must say I would do everything I could to keep him out of ST plays. Scary :ahhhhh:

TXBRONC
09-13-2007, 06:28 PM
In terms of injury, TX?

Injury is my first concern.

You have good point, putting players in a position to make plays whether offense, defense, special teams is always good thing.

NameUsedBefore
09-13-2007, 06:28 PM
Memories of Ian Gold and the Steelers coming up real fast...

BroncoWave
09-13-2007, 06:36 PM

Had Champ not played special teams against Buffalo we would have probably lost that game. That's justification enough for him having been in there.

sanluis
09-13-2007, 06:38 PM
Champ is all class and the best corner in the NFL bar none. I would be more than a little nervous having him in on kick-offs. He is just too valuable!!

Medford Bronco
09-13-2007, 06:43 PM
Champ is all class and the best corner in the NFL bar none. I would be more than a little nervous having him in on kick-offs. He is just too valuable!!

not that he is his, class but remember Jason Sehorn. he was never the same after hurting his knee on a kickoff in preseason. Great point sanluis :beer:

SmithOverTO
09-13-2007, 06:47 PM
not that he is his, class but remember Jason Sehorn. he was never the same after hurting his knee on a kickoff in preseason. Great point sanluis :beer:

Now thats a good point Med,too :beer:

TXBRONC
09-13-2007, 07:00 PM
Had Champ not played special teams against Buffalo we would have probably lost that game. That's justification enough for him having been in there.

It's doesn't need to be justified it is what it is. It just my personal preference to have starters most especially the premier corner back in the pros playing Special Team.

BroncoWave
09-13-2007, 07:51 PM
It's doesn't need to be justified it is what it is. It just my personal preference to have starters most especially the premier corner back in the pros playing Special Team.

Well it's just my personal preference for the Broncos to win ballgames, which Champ helped us do on Sunday! :first:

Now if he gets injured on special teams I will eat my plate of crow! :D

omac
09-14-2007, 12:05 AM
It's great that Champ has the right attitude, but I believe it's wrong to use such a major part of your defense on special teams because of the risk of injury.

Don't use starters on special teams; force players to step-up. It should be an embarassment to the special teams unit that they needed their star player to make the tackle.

I'd rather take losses and see our special teams get better, than take wins and continue to risk the safety of our star players.

dogfish
09-14-2007, 12:34 AM
i LOVE his attitude. . . and with that said, i hope to god some of the other guys get healthy and they don't continue using him there!

:ahhhhh:

Retired_Member_001
09-14-2007, 05:05 AM
I really hate to bring this up but we all remember what happened to Kevin Everett on Special Teams.

Again I feel bad for bringing this up but covering kicks is maybe THE most dangerous position in Football. It's really not the place you want possibly, the best corner to ever play the game, in.

Den21vsBal19
09-14-2007, 05:55 AM
I really hate to bring this up but we all remember what happened to Kevin Everett on Special Teams.

Again I feel bad for bringing this up but covering kicks is maybe THE most dangerous position in Football. It's really not the place you want possibly, the best corner to ever play the game, in.

I don't really think that that's an issue with Champ, he was playing as the safety, so hopefully he won't be getting in where the big bodies are, and he's more likely to be tackling from an angle more than head on...........

Retired_Member_001
09-14-2007, 06:07 AM
I don't really think that that's an issue with Champ, he was playing as the safety, so hopefully he won't be getting in where the big bodies are, and he's more likely to be tackling from an angle more than head on...........

He's playing nearer the back yes but if someone breaks a couple of tackles it will be up to Champ to take him out, we saw this in the Buffalo game.

Champ could go for the legs and then have two big bodies fall on him whilst his leg is in and awkward angle and there you go, he is out for the season or 10 weeks or something.

Just my thoughts.

Nomad
09-14-2007, 07:12 AM
It's a risk you have to take when you have a sure-tackler with speed and the ST's can't get the job done. I applaud Bailey for stepping up to the plate and being a team player. The risk of injury is on every play of the ball. Troy Brown of NE (I don't know if he still plays ST or defense) played offense, defense, and ST and came out ok. Some here will say Jay diving in head first in a preseason game getting pinged around was ok but Champ not playing ST's is not. He'll do fine!

Mike
09-14-2007, 08:03 AM
It's a risk you have to take when you have a sure-tackler with speed and the ST's can't get the job done. I applaud Bailey for stepping up to the plate and being a team player. The risk of injury is on every play of the ball. Troy Brown of NE (I don't know if he still plays ST or defense) played offense, defense, and ST and came out ok. Some here will say Jay diving in head first in a preseason game getting pinged around was ok but Champ not playing ST's is not. He'll do fine!

1. Troy Brown was nowhere near as valuable to the Pats as Champ is to the Broncos.

2. Preseason aside, Jay was making a play at his normal position.

3. IF Champ had gotten, or does get, hurt playing ST everyone here would be after Shanahan's head for allowing our best player to play on ST. Allowing him to play on ST is beyond stupid.

TXBRONC
09-14-2007, 08:37 AM

Nomad I don't Troy Brown playing special teams and Champ Bailey playing special teams is comparable. Troy Brown is journeyman at his position, Champ Bailey is the premier corner back in the League.

Nomad
09-14-2007, 09:33 AM
Nomad I don't Troy Brown playing special teams and Champ Bailey playing special teams is comparable. Troy Brown is journeyman at his position, Champ Bailey is the premier corner back in the League.

See the way you guys want but Champ is a BRONCO first and a premier cornerback second. In other words, if the team needs a player elsewhere step to plate and do the job which they are asked to play. Troy Brown is one of the best multi-taskers I have seen in the top 20 may not be an elite receiver . I'm no statistical geek (not saying you are) or I don't find the feel good articles to tickle my eyes but I do know two things about football and that's every football player has to know how to tackle and block and Bailey has both which Denver's special teams is lacking. No one has to agree with me or the coaches but Bailey's up for the task and that's all that matters.

TXBRONC
09-14-2007, 10:51 AM
See the way you guys want but Champ is a BRONCO first and a premier cornerback second. In other words, if the team needs a player elsewhere step to plate and do the job which they are asked to play. Troy Brown is one of the best multi-taskers I have seen in the top 20 may not be an elite receiver . I'm no statistical geek (not saying you are) or I don't find the feel good articles to tickle my eyes but I do know two things about football and that's every football player has to know how to tackle and block and Bailey has both which Denver's special teams is lacking. No one has to agree with me or the coaches but Bailey's up for the task and that's all that matters.

Yes its my preference that Bailey not play special teams because the reason he's paid the big buck is to play corner back that his primary responsibility. There isn't a one of us who has any control over who plays on special teams, its just personal feelings about the matter.

Troy Brown is good player but he's not the same caliber player of Champ Bailey, and if gets hurt it wont have nearly on his team that losing Champ would have on ours.

BroncoWave
09-14-2007, 12:37 PM
1. Troy Brown was nowhere near as valuable to the Pats as Champ is to the Broncos.

2. Preseason aside, Jay was making a play at his normal position.

3. IF Champ had gotten, or does get, hurt playing ST everyone here would be after Shanahan's head for allowing our best player to play on ST. Allowing him to play on ST is beyond stupid.

Yeah, it's so stupid it saved the game for us last week. :rolleyes:

Mike
09-14-2007, 12:51 PM

Have it your way, kiddo. :flock:

If he had gotten hurt, or if he does get hurt, playing ST then this place, BM, and OM will all be in total meltdown phase and everyone will be screaming "why is the best player on our team playing ST?" Every media pundit and most football fans will be berating Shanahan for the stupidity. You included. :wave:

TXBRONC
09-14-2007, 12:55 PM

There's really no way to prove that, it would have made it difficult at the very least but we don't what would have happened after that.

broncosfanscott
09-14-2007, 10:07 PM
Champ is the man. I mean I totally understand him helping out on special teams considering how sweet of a takler he is.

TXBRONC
09-14-2007, 10:38 PM
Champ is the man. I mean I totally understand him helping out on special teams considering how sweet of a takler he is.

I think we all understand why he's playing special teams but some of us leery of him being out there on special teams.

Lorcust
09-14-2007, 10:48 PM
No different than Antoine Winfield, stop worrying so much people.

TXBRONC
09-14-2007, 11:13 PM
No different than Antoine Winfield, stop worrying so much people.

I'm not worried, its not anything I have control over.

Medford Bronco
09-14-2007, 11:26 PM
I'm not worried, its not anything I have control over.

as long as he is not returning kicks I have no problem

we dont want another Jason Sehorn situation there :damnmate:

Reidman
09-14-2007, 11:27 PM
The idea of Champ playing ST is scary and possibly stupid too but as long as he's out there he might as well make the best of it. His form is good and he's a smart player which one would hope would minimize risk of injury.

I actually worry more when I see him dive for the ball...

TXBRONC
09-14-2007, 11:33 PM
Well he's going be out there whether we like it or not hopefully he doesn't get hurt in the process.

pnbronco
09-15-2007, 12:49 AM
The reason I'm worried is because Al Wilson was playing special teams when he was hurt and had to be carted off the field. He was going after a fumble when Warren hit him in the head and that was the beginning of the end for him. Champ is a amazing player and in great shape, but we have all seen things happen.

broncosfanscott
09-15-2007, 05:06 PM
I think we all understand why he's playing special teams but some of us leery of him being out there on special teams.

I know what you mean and let's hope they improve so that he can stick to defense.

McKeough
09-15-2007, 06:14 PM
You guys all saw Cutler's block on Henry's 30 yard run, right? The mans a beast! GET HIM IN THERE TOO! :D

TXBRONC
09-15-2007, 07:44 PM
I know what you mean and let's hope they improve so that he can stick to defense.

I'm all for that. :beer:

SM19
09-15-2007, 07:49 PM
I'm wondering how so many people know we'd have lost last week if Bailey hadn't been playing special teams. You guys know we'd have had someone else at safety on that kickoff if Bailey hadn't been, right?