PDA

View Full Version : Bly has choice words for Rivers

DenBronx
06-15-2008, 02:42 PM
I saw this at BM and suprised it wasnt posted here yet.

"Big Mouth Has Become Rivers Trade Mark"
I posted this in the Smack Thread as well but thought it was worth posting to GD as not everyone makes it over there...

Big mouth has become Rivers' trademark
By Michael Silver, Yahoo! Sports
June 13, 2008

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...yhoo&type=lgns
SAN DIEGO – Chris Chambers was at fellow wideout and St. Louis Ram Torry Holt's charity banquet in North Carolina earlier this spring when the San Diego Chargers' key 2007 midseason acquisition suddenly found himself in press coverage. Confronting Chambers was Dré Bly, the veteran cornerback who plays for the Denver Broncos and does not have fond memories of his most recent encounter with the AFC West rival Chargers.

"Why is your quarterback always talking so much mess?" Bly asked Chambers. "Nobody in the league likes that guy."

Chambers smiled and replied, "That's y'all's prerogative. But we love him."

ADVERTISEMENT

For all of the reasons to celebrate Philip Rivers – his emergence as a Pro Bowl passer in his first year as a starter, his impeccable off-the-field behavior, his exceptionally gutsy effort in last year's AFC Championship game after having torn his anterior cruciate ligament the week before – the fifth-year quarterback heads into the 2008 season as a 6-foot-5, 228-pound target. His well-documented fits of yapping at opposing players and fans has incurred the ire of countless others besides Bly. One veteran defensive back calls Rivers "the most obnoxious dude in the NFL."

Simply put, Rivers' mouth gets more attention than his arm. And thanks to the magic of 24-hour NFL television coverage and readily accessible Internet video, some of his more conspicuous displays of verbal instigation are there for public consumption in a way that, say, infamous Chargers washout Ryan Leaf never experienced.

"When you see it on TV, I'll be the first one to agree, it doesn't look that good," Rivers said Wednesday from the Chargers' training facility. "But there's nothing I say out there that I couldn't tell my six-year-old daughter. I don't curse, and I'm not saying anything out of line at all."

Rivers shook his head, shrugged his shoulders and waited for the inevitable follow-up question. An accessible and engaging interview subject, he typically becomes frustrated when asked to explain his penchant for talking smack, especially when the subject starts to dwarf the elements of his game he holds dearest. There he was on Wednesday, having fully participated in the Chargers' second-to-last offseason coaching session before training camp less than five months after having undergone major reconstructive knee surgery, a recovery that so far has been stunningly smooth and rapid.

"If I had to play a game this Sunday," he insisted, "I could."

That, of course, was the real story. But do a word-association game with the typical NFL fan – or player – outside of San Diego County, and Rivers is likely to provoke a far less complimentary response than courageous or heroic.

Both words applied last January in frigid Foxborough, Mass., where Rivers summoned what seemed to be a medical miracle. Having torn the ACL in his right knee in the Chargers' divisional playoff upset of the defending champion Colts in Indy, Rivers had an arthroscopic procedure to clean out the area the following day and set his sights on playing in the AFC Championship game six days later. With the knee heavily taped underneath a stabilizing brace, Rivers braved the 23-degree temperature (and a wind chill of nine degrees) at Gillette Stadium and hung tough against the undefeated Patriots, completing 19 of 37 passes for 211 yards in a 21-12 defeat.

CBF1
06-15-2008, 05:19 PM
Bly should let his game talk, Not flapping his gums like Rivers.

Scarface
06-15-2008, 05:32 PM

All he did was ask a question and then stated a fact.

"Why is your quarterback always talking so much mess?" Bly asked Chambers. "Nobody in the league likes that guy."

DenBronx
06-15-2008, 05:46 PM

while i agree with that, i can see where bly is coming from. river is an @$$ and always will be one. i dont like the guy at all. at least drew brees had some class.

Northman
06-15-2008, 05:50 PM
Rivers might be an ass, but he has taken it to the Broncos the last few times we've played him. So from that aspect he has the right to talk any kind of trash he wants. Bly might want to try and stop Rivers and company so that dear ol Phillip doesnt have much to say next time. Talk is nice, but i want to see it backed up. Until we shut him up he will continue to push our buttons.

jrelway
06-15-2008, 05:57 PM
san diegos defense and ladanian does most of the work to beat us. rivers is a b*tch.

DenBronx
06-15-2008, 06:05 PM
Rivers might be an ass, but he has taken it to the Broncos the last few times we've played him. So from that aspect he has the right to talk any kind of trash he wants. Bly might want to try and stop Rivers and company so that dear ol Phillip doesnt have much to say next time. Talk is nice, but i want to see it backed up. Until we shut him up he will continue to push our buttons.

he is riding the annointing of what was left over from shotty and brees. not to mention the leagues best rb the last few years and a solid defense. the dude was thrown into a corvette and doesnt know how to get it out of 3rd gear.

WAR DRE BLY!

Northman
06-15-2008, 06:07 PM
san diegos defense and ladanian does most of the work to beat us. rivers is a b*tch.

Im sure having LT helps but he isnt a slouch (at least against us) so it seems. His numbers are still pretty good.

13/18 270 2TDS
17/25 189 1TD
19/26 222 2TDs, 2ints
15/23 279 2TDs

NameUsedBefore
06-15-2008, 06:08 PM
I think it isn't that Rivers talks trash, but that Rivers talks trash from the sideline of one of the most talented teams in the league when it is obvious they carry him.

Northman
06-15-2008, 06:11 PM
he is riding the annointing of what was left over from shotty and brees. not to mention the leagues best rb the last few years and a solid defense. the dude was thrown into a corvette and doesnt know how to get it out of 3rd gear.

WAR DRE BLY!

But is that really his fault? I mean, he was drafted because at one point Brees didnt look like he was going to succeed. Cant really blame a Qb who gets thrown onto a great team for performing well or well enough. Does his attitude suck? Oh yea. But im not about to say the guy sucks as a athlete just because of that. I can think of a lot of great athletes who attitudes suck but they are still good players. Ive always stood by the thought that if you want a player to shut up than make him shut up and shut him down.

Northman
06-15-2008, 06:14 PM
I think it isn't that Rivers talks trash, but that Rivers talks trash from the sideline of one of the most talented teams in the league when it is obvious they carry him.

Even with all that the Broncos need to take care of business on the field. I was pissed just as anybody else with the whole Rivers/Cutler fiasco last year. But after thinking about it, Rivers achieved exactly what he wanted. He got Jay all frustrated with his talk and Cutler bit on it hook, line, and sinker. Our team needs to worry about taking care of business on the field and worry about Phil's mouth later.

NameUsedBefore
06-15-2008, 06:33 PM
Even with all that the Broncos need to take care of business on the field. I was pissed just as anybody else with the whole Rivers/Cutler fiasco last year. But after thinking about it, Rivers achieved exactly what he wanted. He got Jay all frustrated with his talk and Cutler bit on it hook, line, and sinker. Our team needs to worry about taking care of business on the field and worry about Phil's mouth later.

I didn't cite the Broncos; pretty much the whole NFL considers Rivers a d-bag who talks bigger than he plays.

But just to compare Cutler to River:

Worst ratings Rivers has in wins: 73.3, 68.8, 30.6, 68.9, 65.4

The worst rating Cutler has in a win: 75.6

Best ratings Rivers has in losses: 74.2, 116.2

Best ratings Cutler has in losses: 96.6, 95.7, 96.4, 95.5

Northman
06-15-2008, 06:38 PM
I didn't cite the Broncos; pretty much the whole NFL considers Rivers a d-bag who talks bigger than he plays.

Yea, so we agree that Cutler is better than Rivers as a Qb. Tell me something i didnt know. Their stats against one another doesnt have anything to do with my point about us taking care of our own business and not crying over the bad attitude of an opposing Qb.

DenBronx
06-15-2008, 06:38 PM
But is that really his fault? I mean, he was drafted because at one point Brees didnt look like he was going to succeed. Cant really blame a Qb who gets thrown onto a great team for performing well or well enough. Does his attitude suck? Oh yea. But im not about to say the guy sucks as a athlete just because of that. I can think of a lot of great athletes who attitudes suck but they are still good players. Ive always stood by the thought that if you want a player to shut up than make him shut up and shut him down.

put rivers on the raiders or dolphins and he wont be so cocky. his current team helps him backup his trash talk...thats what makes him a weasel. he is like the little kid on the playground that is best friends with the school bully.

Northman
06-15-2008, 06:39 PM
put rivers on the raiders or dolphins and he wont be so cocky. his current team helps him backup his trash talk...thats what makes him a weasel.

Weasel or not, he sure is beating our ass in the process. :whoknows:

NameUsedBefore
06-15-2008, 06:48 PM
Yea, so we agree that Cutler is better than Rivers as a Qb. Tell me something i didnt know. Their stats against one another doesnt have anything to do with my point about us taking care of our own business and not crying over the bad attitude of an opposing Qb.

Sigh. We're not talking about the Broncos (even though I addressed that); we're talking about how big of a d-bag Rivers is to everyone. Patriots took care of the Chargers and I'm pretty sure they aren't too hot on Rivers. That's what you get for talking trash with fans and talking trash at almost every game where you throw for 150-yards and a TD while LT runs wild on the defense :rolleyes:

DenBronx
06-15-2008, 06:50 PM
Sigh. We're not talking about the Broncos (even though I addressed that); we're talking about how big of a d-bag Rivers is to everyone. Patriots took care of the Chargers and I'm pretty sure they aren't too hot on Rivers. That's what you get for talking trash with fans and talking trash at almost every game where you throw for 150-yards and a TD while LT runs wild on the defense :rolleyes:

good definition of a weasel.

Northman
06-15-2008, 06:50 PM

Ok, so in essence the Patriots know how to shut him up by beating him and his team. Pretty much backs up what ive been talking about. :D

DenBronx
06-15-2008, 06:51 PM
Weasel or not, he sure is beating our ass in the process. :whoknows:

yeah him and about 7 other teams last year. we freakin got blown out by the lions. in no way were we an elite team.

Northman
06-15-2008, 06:52 PM
yeah him and about 7 other teams last year. we freakin got blown out by the lions. in no way were we an elite team.

Nope, we sure arent.

broncosfanscott
06-16-2008, 12:01 AM
Whether it is us or somebody else (hopefully us) I can't wait to see somebody just come on a blitz and clean Rivers' clock. :D

Stargazer
06-16-2008, 02:25 AM
Rivers is a gamer & the Broncos haven't done anything to shut him up.

Stargazer
06-16-2008, 02:31 AM
I was pissed just as anybody else with the whole Rivers/Cutler fiasco last year. But after thinking about it, Rivers achieved exactly what he wanted. He got Jay all frustrated with his talk and Cutler bit on it hook, line, and sinker.

Achieved what? Bit what hook, line, and sinker? They are a better football team. Cutler didn't bite anything. The Broncos got smashed by SD.

CBF1
06-16-2008, 02:35 AM
BTW, I am also on the River's is a bitch bandwagon

Retired_Member_001
06-16-2008, 04:27 AM
Bly needs to shut it. I remember he talked smack against a team last season and he was made to look like a 4 year old. Talk smack if you have got the skill to back it up.

Traveler
06-16-2008, 07:38 AM
Until we beat Rivers & the rest of the Chargers, all players should just shut the hell up!

Mike
06-16-2008, 07:53 AM
until We Beat Rivers & The Rest Of The Chargers, All Players Should Just Shut The Hell Up!

End of thread.

Hobe
06-16-2008, 08:42 AM
As time goes on I am developing a image of Rivers being what would have happen if Ryan Leaf had learned how to get alone with his team mates. Leaf had a stronger arm, but Rivers mouth and ego are growing to fit the bill.

Northman
06-16-2008, 10:24 AM
Achieved what? Bit what hook, line, and sinker? They are a better football team. Cutler didn't bite anything. The Broncos got smashed by SD.

He was able to get under Jay's skin.

TXBRONC
06-16-2008, 10:28 AM
Bly needs to shut it. I remember he talked smack against a team last season and he was made to look like a 4 year old. Talk smack if you have got the skill to back it up.

I don't consider what he said as smack.

That being said there is only one way to shut Rivers up or expose him as the horse's ass that he is and that'sby beating the Chargers.

Northman
06-16-2008, 10:31 AM
I don't consider what he said as smack.

That being said there is only one way to shut Rivers up or expose him as the horse's ass that he is and that'sby beating the Chargers.

Its not smack, its whining. But yes, like i posted on page one the best way to shut him up is to beat him and the Dolts.

lex
06-16-2008, 10:41 AM

cosign

lex
06-16-2008, 10:43 AM
I agree that we whine too much. Last preseason it was whining that the Cowboys were playing too hard and later it was Philip Rivers. Not only that but during the season there was finger pointing.

oubronco
06-16-2008, 03:22 PM
someone needs to just LAY HIS BEEOCTH ASS OUT and then talk smack

Requiem / The Dagda
06-16-2008, 03:34 PM
Is this the same Dre Bly that Greg Jennings made his bitch on MNF? **** Dre.

lex
06-16-2008, 03:37 PM
Is this the same Dre Bly that Greg Jennings made his bitch on MNF? **** Dre.

Indeed...the playmaker who makes plays...aka toast.

Requiem / The Dagda
06-16-2008, 03:38 PM
Indeed...the playmaker who makes plays...aka toast.

Toast is used for Deltha O'Neal; I'm sure you can come up with a nickname for Dre Bly. Perhaps, Dre "Fly Right By" Bly?

Northman
06-16-2008, 03:40 PM
Dre "oh, theres a shiny penny on the ground" Bly

lex
06-16-2008, 03:40 PM
Toast is used for Deltha O'Neal; I'm sure you can come up with a nickname for Dre Bly. Perhaps, Dre "Fly Right By" Bly?

Fair enough. Fly right by isnt bad but Im sure theres something better out there. Maybe like "the Bluegill" because he always takes the bait.

Requiem / The Dagda
06-16-2008, 03:41 PM
Dre "Cover 2? I can't cover you!" Bly

BINGO.

topscribe
06-16-2008, 03:55 PM
Bly is a good CB. If the Broncos mount a pass rush this year, you will be
amazed at how much he's improved . . . if you get my drift . . .

-----

Requiem / The Dagda
06-16-2008, 03:59 PM
Most cornerbacks would do well with a good pass rush, so I don't think that says much about Dre Bly.

Buff
06-16-2008, 03:59 PM

-----

He got burned on a couple highly visible TD passes last year but he was still a hell of a cover corner... Just don't ask him to hit anyone.

lex
06-16-2008, 04:03 PM

-----

The fact that we didnt have a pass rush, doesnt jive with is degree of risk taking though. If anything, he should be more worried about keeping the play in front of him in the absence of a pass rush.

Kaylore
06-16-2008, 04:08 PM
Bly is a very good, not great, CB. We watch Champ play all day and it makes Bly look bad. Bly is game changer. Yes, he bites too much and sometimes gives up plays trying to be too aggressive. He wins more than he loses and is great for a nubmer 2 corner.

Requiem / The Dagda
06-16-2008, 04:09 PM
Bly is a very good, not great, CB. We watch Champ play all day and it makes Bly look bad. Bly is game changer. Yes, he bites too much and sometimes gives up plays trying to be too aggressive. He wins more than he loses and is great for a nubmer 2 corner.

I give him 3.5 / 5 stars. He lost a half star because Greg Jennings killed him.

Northman
06-16-2008, 04:10 PM

:lol:

OMorange&blue
06-16-2008, 04:20 PM
http://forum.alsacreations.com/upload/2043-fail-camera.jpg

OMorange&blue
06-16-2008, 04:22 PM
anybody else having probs seeing dreams youtube clip?

Northman
06-16-2008, 04:23 PM
Yea, i didnt come up for me.

turftoad
06-16-2008, 04:24 PM

I can't see it either.

Grover
06-16-2008, 04:25 PM

If by "probs", you mean total failure, then yes I've got probs.

TXBRONC
06-16-2008, 04:26 PM

Exactly, Bly isn't as good Bailey but overall he's still a solid corner.

Requiem / The Dagda
06-16-2008, 04:28 PM
God, why doesn't it work!?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihLwKu8bGio

ihLwKu8bGio

HOW DO YOU EMBED THAT?

OMorange&blue
06-16-2008, 04:29 PM
Dream, if you delete the first

http://www.youtube.com/v/

out of the link it'll work.

OMorange&blue
06-16-2008, 04:30 PM
or that.

topscribe

Sixteen games, about 500 plays, and you keep bringing up a play against
Greg Jennings. I seem to remember another play involving Champ Bailey. :confused:

-----

OMorange&blue
Thanks Dream. That was sweet. Really.

OMorange&blue
06-16-2008, 04:32 PM
God, why doesn't it work!?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihLwKu8bGio

ihLwKu8bGio

HOW DO YOU EMBED THAT?

That worked, what did you do?

Requiem / The Dagda
06-16-2008, 04:32 PM
Greg Jennings. I seem to remember another play involving Champ Bailey. :confused:

-----

Yeah, he got owned too.

Requiem / The Dagda
06-16-2008, 04:33 PM
That worked, what did you do?

Listened to you!

OMorange&blue
06-16-2008, 04:35 PM
Listened to you!

Listen to me what? I dont know what the hell I am doing. I am the jackass who askes if "you've checked the carborator" when your 2006 Chevy Silverado isn't running right.

TXBRONC
06-16-2008, 04:37 PM

-----

Yep earlier in the game Champ was burned as well.

topscribe
06-16-2008, 04:39 PM
Yeah, he got owned too.

Did you happen to notice the . . . um . . . *ahem*. . . *gag*. . . pass rush?

It has been explained, ad nauseum, how the CBs had to keep a close eye on
the opponent's rushing game because the DL and LBs didn't seem to want to.

Oh, BTW, that was a play-action pass . . .

-----

Requiem / The Dagda
06-16-2008, 04:42 PM
Did you happen to notice the . . . um . . . *ahem*. . . *gag*. . . pass rush?

It has been explained, ad nauseum, how the CBs had to keep a close eye on
the opponent's rushing game because the DL and LBs didn't seem to want to.

Oh, BTW, that was a play-action pass . . .

-----

Bailey and Bly getting burned in the Packers game on MNF had nothing to do with a poor pass rush. That was on them personally.

topscribe
06-16-2008, 04:43 PM
Bailey and Bly getting burned in the Packers game on MNF had nothing to do with a poor pass rush. That was on them personally.

Oh, so you didn't notice . . .

-----

lex
06-16-2008, 04:45 PM

In Champs defense, that he was coming off a thigh injury and it was early in the game and not 2 seconds into overtime. I know Bly likes being a hero but, good grief. If theres such a lack of a pass rush, why was Bly so eager to bite on the short stuff? How do you not give some consideration to the fact that Favre might go long? Poor...just very poor.

Requiem / The Dagda
06-16-2008, 04:46 PM
Oh, so you didn't notice . . .

-----

I'm well aware of the kind of play(s) the Packers ran. Basically, what you're saying is that poor run defense by our line and linebackers means more emphasis would have been placed on Bailey and Bly to stop the run. Unless you're able to prove that on those two plays, that run support was their primary obligation rather than matching up against their wide receiver on the opposite side of the line, that line of thinking doesn't mean squat. I'd sure hate banking on Dre Bly being more aggressive in the run game considering he whined his ass off in Detroit because it was required in their Cover 2 system.

Feel free to look at Bly getting beat again. He never cheated up in support of the run, he ran with Greg as soon as the ball was snapped and was flat out burned. No excuses can be made for that.

OMorange&blue
06-16-2008, 04:51 PM
6cSuxJ8vt0A

OMorange&blue
06-16-2008, 04:51 PM
ahh

topscribe
06-16-2008, 04:58 PM
I'm well aware of the kind of play(s) the Packers ran. Basically, what you're saying is that poor run defense by our line and linebackers means more emphasis would have been placed on Bailey and Bly to stop the run. Unless you're able to prove that on those two plays, that run support was their primary obligation rather than matching up against their wide receiver on the opposite side of the line, that line of thinking doesn't mean squat. I'd sure hate banking on Dre Bly being more aggressive in the run game considering he whined his ass off in Detroit because it was required in their Cover 2 system.

The play was a play-action on the first play of OT. I don't know the stats,
but I would bet the vast majority of first plays in OT are running plays or
short passes.

The front seven had not been stopping the run all year. The secondary was
making an inordinate amount of tackles. It would be a natural tendency,
under such conditions, when the play looks like a run, with such a bad run
defense, for the CB to freeze a little for the play-action . . . that is why
teams run play-actions: they often work.

When Favre went back to pass, I will bet that your focus was more on
Jennings and Bly. As a former DE, mine was on the trenches. In the very
clip you cited, only one DL was even close enough to Favre to be in the
picture, and he wasn't any threat. So Favre wound up and put it right on
the money, as he was so capable of doing.

It was obvious that Bly got a late start on the route. That is indicative of
having hesitated for the run. Even then, he was close enough to Jennings
that Favre had to throw a very accurate pass to complete it to Jennings.

In conclusion, you are going to have to come up with more conclusive
evidence that this was all on Bly. You say I have to have proof, yet you
are the one to make the claim that it was all on Bly. I only reported what
I saw here.

Your turn. :coffee:

-----

Requiem / The Dagda
06-16-2008, 05:04 PM
Bly didn't get a late start on the route. As soon as the ball was snapped he was running side by side Jennings. You might need to watch that clip again.

TXBRONC
06-16-2008, 05:08 PM
That lose is on the defense I sure as wont put it all on Bly.

OMorange&blue
06-16-2008, 05:10 PM
hmmmm beeehhhr

topscribe
06-16-2008, 05:12 PM
Bly didn't get a late start on the route. As soon as the ball was snapped he was running side by side Jennings. You might need to watch that clip again.

Okay, I watched it again, and you're right. It looks as if Bly took off with Jennings.

However, upon looking at it again, in the replay of Favre himself, nobody in a
blue uniform was anywhere near Favre. He wound up and threw a perfect
strike. He's going to when he doesn't have the slightest worry about a
pass rush . . . he's a future HOFer, after all.

And, as I said, he had to be very accurate because Bly was right there until
Jennings veered to his left, away from Bly, to catch the pass. Bly wasn't
glove-tight, but his coverage was not that bad, either. I still have nothing
whatsoever against Bly on that particular play.

-----

Requiem / The Dagda
06-16-2008, 05:36 PM
Yep. Favre's an all-time great, if you give him time, he'll make you pay. I don't think 3.5 seconds to unload on a deep fly route is enough to blame the defensive line for not having a pass rush to somehow allieviate the blame from Dre. It's clear by the 40-45 yard line that Jennings was already getting away from Bly, and that Bly looked for the ball over the wrong shoulder and became toast. There are times in football where you're just beat, and this happens to be the case for Dre as Greg ran by him, caught the ball and ended up in the endzone and gave the Packers a victory. Had Favre been sitting back their for days, I'd give Bly a little slack, but that really wasn't the case.

I also don't see how accentuating the positives of a player like Favre compensates for Bly not making a play. It doesn't matter if it's Dan Marino, John Elway, Trent Dilfer, Phyllis Rivers, etc. Bly's job is to make sure that Jennings doesn't get by him on that play, and guess what? Jennings got by him. IIRC, Bly was pretty upset at himself after that one. I'd be too if I got beat that bad on National Television.

topscribe
06-16-2008, 05:43 PM
Yep. Favre's an all-time great, if you give him time, he'll make you pay. I don't think 3.5 seconds to unload on a deep fly route is enough to blame the defensive line for not having a pass rush to somehow allieviate the blame from Dre. It's clear by the 40-45 yard line that Jennings was already getting away from Bly, and that Bly looked for the ball over the wrong shoulder and became toast. There are times in football where you're just beat, and this happens to be the case for Dre as Greg ran by him, caught the ball and ended up in the endzone and gave the Packers a victory. Had Favre been sitting back their for days, I'd give Bly a little slack, but that really wasn't the case.

I also don't see how accentuating the positives of a player like Favre compensates for Bly not making a play. It doesn't matter if it's Dan Marino, John Elway, Trent Dilfer, Phyllis Rivers, etc. Bly's job is to make sure that Jennings doesn't get by him on that play, and guess what? Jennings got by him. IIRC, Bly was pretty upset at himself after that one. I'd be too if I got beat that bad on National Television.

Right. So you might take a look at this clip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1P4q483TH0).

This was in 1992, when none other than Rod Woodson was toasted not
once, but twice, in the same game, by the then rookie Brett Favre. You
might notice that Woodson was playing for the Steelers, who, BTW, did
have a pass rush and a run defense.

-----

shank
06-16-2008, 05:52 PM
Yeah, he got owned too.

it happens. even to the best.

TXBRONC
06-16-2008, 05:56 PM

I remember Champ giving up two long passes to Jerry Porter his first year in Denver.

Northman
06-16-2008, 10:10 PM
I remember Champ giving up two long passes to Jerry Porter his first year in Denver.

And to Ocho in Cincy.

rcsodak
06-16-2008, 11:37 PM

So Rivers is 5-2 in his career and Cutler is 1-4???? :confused:

Not sure what you're trying to show here, nub...spin?:lol:

rcsodak
06-16-2008, 11:44 PM
I agree that we whine too much. Last preseason it was whining that the Cowboys were playing too hard and later it was Philip Rivers. Not only that but during the season there was finger pointing.

Well, to be fair, denver wasn't the only team that didn't like what happened with Dallas. There's an unwritten rule in preseason. Phillips had an axe to grind, plain & simple. Take II is in denver's crib this year.

Rivers seems to me to be the kind of player that, once kicked in the teeth, won't be jumping back up very quickly. He'll sink into his own little world and disappear. Personally, I can't wait for that day....and what better team to do it, than the faiduhs....lol

omac
06-16-2008, 11:54 PM
So Rivers is 5-2 in his career and Cutler is 1-4???? :confused:

Not sure what you're trying to show here, nub...spin?:lol:

I think he's saying Cutler did better despite being on an inferior team, and that, more than anything, contributed to their losses. SD would get wins despite, on the average, a poorer performance by Rivers.

Which would be the more likely scenario:

1. Rivers would perform better than Cutler as a Bronco (with an injury plagued OL, and injured RBs and WRs), or

2. Cutler would perform better than Rivers (with a solid OL, and the best RB and TE in the league) if he was a Charger?

From what I've seen from both, I'd say 2. :cheers:

lex
06-17-2008, 12:22 AM
Dre "Cover 2? I can't cover you!" Bly

BINGO.

OK, I think hereforth, I will refer to Dre Bly as "Snake Eyes" as a way of describing what happens for us when he gambles.

rcsodak
06-17-2008, 12:28 AM
Fair enough. Fly right by isnt bad but Im sure theres something better out there. Maybe like "the Bluegill" because he always takes the bait.

wouldn't that also work with a sucker?????

lex
06-17-2008, 12:32 AM
wouldn't that also work with a sucker?????

Sucker is a little more vague due to multiple meanings ranging from a lollipop to going down. I like Snake Eyes, since its pretty strongly linked to losing at the craps table.

rcsodak
06-17-2008, 01:25 AM
Sucker is a little more vague due to multiple meanings ranging from a lollipop to going down. I like Snake Eyes, since its pretty strongly linked to losing at the craps table.

Sucker is a fish...unless your mind is in the gutter or you're 8yrs old.... :D

Requiem / The Dagda
06-17-2008, 10:22 AM

Yeah, I know it happens and I'm not trying to down on Dre Bly, because I'm glad we have him -- but his gambling style is just a little too over the top in my opinion. He's always taken risks, and I think there were several instances last season where he bit on a double fake or gambled trying to make a play that ended up adversely for us.

Once again, I've never understood the point in bringing up the fact that even the greats get beat in reference to someone like Champ or Bly gets toasted; as if it's some out of this world reminder that they're human and make mistakes. That doesn't take accountability away from their mishaps though.

In a perfect world the Broncos would have a consistent pass rush, but that's just not reality. Given that reality, people like Bly should take the necessary cautions and not make so many gambles. The adage, "Better safe than sorry." would probably apply here quite well.

lex
06-17-2008, 10:27 AM
Yeah, I know it happens and I'm not trying to down on Dre Bly, because I'm glad we have him -- but his gambling style is just a little too over the top in my opinion. He's always taken risks, and I think there were several instances last season where he bit on a double fake or gambled trying to make a play that ended up adversely for us.

Once again, I've never understood the point in bringing up the fact that even the greats get beat in reference to someone like Champ or Bly gets toasted; as if it's some out of this world reminder that they're human and make mistakes. That doesn't take accountability away from their mishaps though.

In a perfect world the Broncos would have a consistent pass rush, but that's just not reality. Given that reality, people like Bly should take the necessary cautions and not make so many gambles. The adage, "Better safe than sorry." would probably apply here quite well.

Dream, apparently some people here wouldnt be able to identify opinion on their own so they get hung up on the placement of "IMO". With that in mind, do you really expect them to not point out it happens to Champ even if pointing that out isnt exactly relevant since theyre not taking into account circumstance and frequency?

Requiem / The Dagda
06-17-2008, 10:37 AM
For the sake of a good argument, I'd hope they'd just leave it out, given the issues with circumstance and frequency as you mentioned.

This is one thing I've never got about Broncos fans.

If one of our corners get beat, the defensive line will always be blamed regardless of the actual accountability. There's always some excuse. I don't know what it is? On top of that, if you even mention that Champ get's beat, people just get pissed.

In relation to what others have said, yeah -- a pass rush would certainly help us, but the inherent gambling nature of Bly was detrimental to the team last year in certain scenarios. It was also beneficial at times too.

All and all, I just don't appreciate having to debate with ten million arguments at the same time. After one's debunked, there would come another to try and lessen the accountability of the person who was roasted on the play. Sometimes I just feel like giving up.

I had to put up with those same BS excuses with players like Ian Gold, Jake Plummer, Gerard Warren and I'm frankly tired of them. I don't see why fans feel the need to try and make excuses when those players themselves certainly wouldn't do so -- unless they're selfish bastages who think their shit don't stink. . .

Oh wait, that's kind of why all those three turds above are gone. :coffee: :lol:

lex
06-17-2008, 12:22 PM
For the sake of a good argument, I'd hope they'd just leave it out, given the issues with circumstance and frequency as you mentioned.

This is one thing I've never got about Broncos fans.

If one of our corners get beat, the defensive line will always be blamed regardless of the actual accountability. There's always some excuse. I don't know what it is? On top of that, if you even mention that Champ get's beat, people just get pissed.

In relation to what others have said, yeah -- a pass rush would certainly help us, but the inherent gambling nature of Bly was detrimental to the team last year in certain scenarios. It was also beneficial at times too.

All and all, I just don't appreciate having to debate with ten million arguments at the same time. After one's debunked, there would come another to try and lessen the accountability of the person who was roasted on the play. Sometimes I just feel like giving up.

I had to put up with those same BS excuses with players like Ian Gold, Jake Plummer, Gerard Warren and I'm frankly tired of them. I don't see why fans feel the need to try and make excuses when those players themselves certainly wouldn't do so -- unless they're selfish bastages who think their shit don't stink. . .

Oh wait, that's kind of why all those three turds above are gone. :coffee: :lol:

You wouldnt be talking about repeating the same argument that you previously addressed would you? Ive never really noticed that people do that a lot.