PDA

View Full Version : World War II trivia

sneakers
06-15-2008, 01:11 AM
I am sure we have some history buffs here....so here is a trivia question.

Everyone knows that the Enola Gay dropped the first atomic bomb, but what is the name of the plane that dropped the second atomic bomb?

sneakers
06-15-2008, 04:56 AM
How about an easier one to get things going......

What year did America enter the war?

*Bonus* What year did Canada enter WWII? (hint: It was well before America)

LordTrychon
06-15-2008, 05:17 AM

Everyone knows that the Enola Gay dropped the first atomic bomb, but what is the name of the plane that dropped the second atomic bomb?

Dang it.

I know the answer to this.

Homer told me I was drinking thinking juice. I must not have had enough.

http://www.starshop.de/bilder1/s-8385.jpg

I'm going to hate myself when I hear the answer...

Den21vsBal19
06-15-2008, 06:48 AM

B-29 Bockscar dropped Fat Man on Nagasaki

What was the first US Navy vessel to be lost to enemy action in World War II?

sneakers
06-16-2008, 03:39 AM
B-29 Bockscar dropped Fat Man on Nagasaki

What was the first US Navy vessel to be lost to enemy action in World War II?

:confused: ....I am thinking something pearl harbor, because that would be obvious...but I think there was a transport ship or two accidentally sunk by the Germans going to England....I dunno if it was a civilian or military transport though.

Bockscar is correct!

Den21vsBal19
06-16-2008, 07:36 AM
:confused: ....I am thinking something pearl harbor, because that would be obvious...but I think there was a transport ship or two accidentally sunk by the Germans going to England....I dunno if it was a civilian or military transport though.

Bockscar is correct!
Pre Pearl, Atlantic, US Navy combat vessel

Davii
06-16-2008, 07:41 AM
Pre Pearl, Atlantic, US Navy combat vessel

Destroyer Reuben James off Iceland

Davii
06-16-2008, 07:44 AM
How about an easier one to get things going......

What year did America enter the war?

1941. December 8th, day after Pearl Harbor America formally declared a state of war with Japan

*Bonus* What year did Canada enter WWII? (hint: It was well before America)

1939. Canada bought most of her military supplies from the US to conduct war with Germany.

sneakers
06-16-2008, 07:32 PM
Besides Switzerland, name another 2 other neutral countries in WWII.

MOtorboat
06-16-2008, 08:43 PM

Finland and Luxembourg?

sneakers
06-16-2008, 11:46 PM
Finland and Luxembourg?

I think Luxembourg was occupied by the Nazis, but you are close (think of a tiny country between spain and France). And Finland was in a brutal conflict with Russia for most of the war. (but once again you are really close)

LordTrychon
06-16-2008, 11:57 PM
I think Luxembourg was occupied by the Nazis, but you are close (think of a tiny country between spain and France). And Finland was in a brutal conflict with Russia for most of the war. (but once again you are really close)

Is it Monaco?

sneakers
06-17-2008, 12:08 AM
Is it Monaco?

I think they were also occupied by the axis.

Den21vsBal19
06-17-2008, 06:49 AM
Paraguay & Spain...........

Which German vessel was scuttled off the port of Montivdeo to avoid being captured by the Royal Navy?

Davii
06-17-2008, 08:12 AM

Which German vessel was scuttled off the port of Montivdeo to avoid being captured by the Royal Navy?

Damn good question, i'm at a total loss on that one.

MOtorboat
06-17-2008, 08:12 AM

Was that the Bismarck, or was that WWI?

Davii
06-17-2008, 08:18 AM
Was that the Bismarck, or was that WWI?

Bismark was WWII, but it wasn't scuttled it was sunk by two ships. I think King George was one maybe?

MOtorboat
06-17-2008, 08:18 AM
Bismark was WWII, but it wasn't scuttled it was sunk by two ships. I think King George was one maybe?

Yup, just reading about that...I should've known better...

Den21vsBal19
06-17-2008, 02:00 PM
King George V, and the Rodney, along with a couple of heavy cruisers and some destroyers, including a Pole IIRC..............

haroldthebarrel
06-17-2008, 04:29 PM

one is certainly sweden. as my grandpa and many others in the resistance had to escape to them "cowards"..... a lot of elders still hate swedes since they didnt help us up front. They did help us "undercover" though.

I had to look it up though....

Some of the countries that were neutral in WW2 were Sweden, Switzerland and Paraguay.

Less famously: Lichtenstein, Monaco, Andorra, Turkey, Nepal, Afghanistan, Yemen, Bhutan, Spain, Portugal.

More input:

No European country remained neutral. Portugal, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland all worked to some extend with the Axis.
Bad input! Completely mixing up things, neither Sweden nor Switzerland worked together with the Axis. Nowadays it has been proven that some industrials and bankers of those countries (they weren't the only ones) did deals with germans. There were clashes from 1939 to 1945 between german and swiss fighters... doesn't really sound like cooperating, does it?

Although Portugal did continue trade with the Axis during the war, they also allowed the Allies to use certain airfields within their jurisdiction for operations against the Axis Powers.

There was one other European country that remained neutral in WWII: the Republic of Ireland.
NB Ireland did not become a Republic until 1948.
Switzerland allowed German troop trains to transit Swiss territory.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_countries_were_neutral_in_World_War_2

didnt know about Paraguay. Didnt even know that so many South American countries must have been into it?
Thanks for making me look up a good question.

Dreadnought
06-19-2008, 06:40 PM
King George V, and the Rodney, along with a couple of heavy cruisers and some destroyers, including a Pole IIRC..............

CA's (Heavy Cruisers) Norfolk and Dorsetshire. HMS Dorsetshire finished her off with a spread of Torpedos.

Scuttled off Montevideo was Graf Spee, after action with HMS Exeter, Ajax, and Achilles.

What was the Royal Navy airstrike in 1940 that inspired the Japanese to attack Pearl Harbor? If you know the ship that launched it I'll buy you a virtual pint (Hint - I used her for a sig for a few weeks).

Den21vsBal19
06-19-2008, 06:56 PM
CA's (Heavy Cruisers) Norfolk and Dorsetshire. HMS Dorsetshire finished her off with a spread of Torpedos.

Scuttled off Montevideo was Graf Spee, after action with HMS Exeter, Ajax, and Achilles.

What was the Royal Navy airstrike in 1940 that inspired the Japanese to attack Pearl Harbor? If you know the ship that launched it I'll buy you a virtual pint (Hint - I used her for a sig for a few weeks).
Fairey Swordfish off HMS Illustious attacked the Italian fleet at anchor in Taranto, sinking 3 battleships & a cruiser.

In May 1943, Lancaster Bombers from 617 Squadron attacked dams on the Eder River in Germany, using a specially designed bomb...............what made the bombs so unique?

haroldthebarrel
06-19-2008, 07:01 PM
A WW2 adn computer trivia question.

One very famous computer scientist was ordered the order of the british empire after being quite instrumental in cracking the enigma code. The most famous AI test is also bearing his name. What is his name?

Dreadnought
06-19-2008, 07:02 PM
Fairey Swordfish off HMS Illustious attacked the Italian fleet at anchor in Taranto, sinking 3 battleships & a cruiser.

In May 1943, Lancaster Bombers from 617 Squadron attacked dams on the Eder River in Germany, using a specially designed bomb...............what made the bombs so unique?

The "Dambuster" - looked like an oversized garbage can full of explosives, they skipped across the water.

I owe you a virtual Pint!

haroldthebarrel
06-19-2008, 07:03 PM
The "Dambuster" - looked like an oversized garbage can full of explosives, they skipped across the water.

I owe you a virtual Pint!

there was a cool program on discovery i think called just dambuster.
pretty strange to see those huge bombs skip across water like when you throw flat stones.

Den21vsBal19
06-19-2008, 07:14 PM
A WW2 adn computer trivia question.

One very famous computer scientist was ordered the order of the british empire after being quite instrumental in cracking the enigma code. The most famous AI test is also bearing his name. What is his name?
Alan Turing?

haroldthebarrel
06-19-2008, 07:19 PM
Alan Turing?

yes!

Den21vsBal19
06-19-2008, 07:31 PM
Alan Turing?

yes!

Very quick one before I call it a night.....................

Which nation put afloat the largest guns ever to sail?

haroldthebarrel
06-19-2008, 07:34 PM

japan?

Den21vsBal19
06-20-2008, 04:40 AM
japan?
Correct, the Yamato & Musashi both carried nine 18.1 inch cannon.

sneakers
06-20-2008, 08:48 AM

Dang it, I totally would have bet money on Germany....

sneakers
06-21-2008, 04:24 AM
What was it that the Japanese called "The Divine Wind"?

What was "Operation Downfall"?

Den21vsBal19
06-21-2008, 06:49 AM
What was it that the Japanese called "The Divine Wind"?

What was "Operation Downfall"?
Divine Wind ~ Kamikaze

I believe Operation Downfall was the proposed plan for the invasion of mainland Japan.

Which weapon did Germany use for the first time in September 1944, the descendants of which are still in service today?

sneakers
06-21-2008, 06:39 PM
Divine Wind ~ Kamikaze

I believe Operation Downfall was the proposed plan for the invasion of mainland Japan.

Which weapon did Germany use for the first time in September 1944, the descendants of which are still in service today?

Also the Divine Wind was a hurricane that came in the 1200's that saved Japan from invasion from an enemy force by wiping out their fleet....they were hoping that the Kamikazis would do the same thing for them. Ironically a huge Hurricane came through south of Japan in November 1945 that would have easily disrupted if not distroyed the planned invasion of Japan by the Americans :shocked:

Is it the V2 rocket???

Den21vsBal19
06-21-2008, 06:55 PM
Also the Divine Wind was a hurricane that came in the 1200's that saved Japan from invasion from an enemy force by wiping out their fleet....they were hoping that the Kamikazis would do the same thing for them. Ironically a huge Hurricane came through south of Japan in November 1945 that would have easily disrupted if not distroyed the planned invasion of Japan by the Americans :shocked:

Is it the V2 rocket???
It is indeed the V2

Dreadnought
06-21-2008, 08:08 PM
What was "Operation Compass", when was it, and who was involved?

Den21vsBal19
06-22-2008, 04:09 PM
What was "Operation Compass", when was it, and who was involved?
Operation Compass was an Allied offensive in North Africa, Christmas 1940..............

30,000 or so Allied troops took on five times as many Italians........over 100,000 Italians were captured.

What name was given to the American volunteer RAF squadrons, prior to the US entering the war?

Lonestar
06-22-2008, 04:34 PM
Operation Compass was an Allied offensive in North Africa, Christmas 1940..............

30,000 or so Allied troops took on five times as many Italians........over 100,000 Italians were captured.

What name was given to the American volunteer RAF squadrons, prior to the US entering the war?

AVG American Volunteer Group..

Flying Tigers were mainly in China

Den21vsBal19
06-22-2008, 04:45 PM
AVG American Volunteer Group..

Flying Tigers were mainly in China
American Volunteer Group was the official title of the Flying Tigers, and I believe they were supported by the US government

The RAF squadrons, numbers 71, 121 & 133, were completely volunteer, and unofficial as far the US government were concerened, although the majority of them were absorbed into the 8th Air Force in '42

Lonestar
06-22-2008, 05:05 PM
American Volunteer Group was the official title of the Flying Tigers, and I believe they were supported by the US government

The RAF squadrons, numbers 71, 121 & 133, were completely volunteer, and unofficial as far the US government were concerened, although the majority of them were absorbed into the 8th Air Force in '42

I was my understanding that the Tigers were compensated by Free China and although they were flying for them the retained their rank in the Army Air Corp.. but were not PAID..

Den21vsBal19
06-22-2008, 05:27 PM
I was my understanding that the Tigers were compensated by Free China and although they were flying for them the retained their rank in the Army Air Corp.. but were not PAID..
I thought the units were aproved by Roosevelt and paid via a 'front' company, although the personnel all had to resign from their respective US service.

The 3 squadrons in the RAF were completely volunteer, with no official support from the US

Lonestar
06-22-2008, 06:10 PM
I thought the units were aproved by Roosevelt and paid via a 'front' company, although the personnel all had to resign from their respective US service.

The 3 squadrons in the RAF were completely volunteer, with no official support from the US

Yes they were "wink" approved by FDR and who paid them I'm not sure but there were not funds in the US to do so..

I remember my Uncle saying when he enlisted right after Pearl Harbor and went to Boot they practiced rifle movements with broom handles because we did not have enough rifles to go around.. Until they went off to war.. They had enough to man the rifle range.. but close order drills they used broom handle and fake rifles..

Things were very unprepared to fight..

sneakers
06-22-2008, 06:13 PM
Which famous German general oversaw the construction of the "Atlantic Wall"?

Davii
06-22-2008, 06:39 PM
Which famous German general oversaw the construction of the "Atlantic Wall"?

Field Marshall Rommel

elsid13
06-22-2008, 07:09 PM
Provide the nickname of the American Tank Destroyer with a turbine engine?

Dreadnought
06-22-2008, 07:53 PM
Provide the nickname of the American Tank Destroyer with a turbine engine?

M-18 Hellcat

elsid13
06-22-2008, 10:16 PM
M-18 Hellcat

bingo

Lonestar
06-22-2008, 10:23 PM
M-18 Hellcat

several years ago it was the A-10 one butt ugly airplane..

broncogirl7
06-22-2008, 10:24 PM
What country was U.S. General Douglas MacArthur referring to when he famously proclaimed "I shall return"?

Dreadnought
06-22-2008, 10:24 PM
bingo

Hellcats looked Bad Ass, but I think that tinfoil armor would have worried me!

Lonestar
06-22-2008, 10:27 PM
What city was involved in a firestorm late in the war in Europe..

Lonestar
06-22-2008, 10:27 PM
What country was U.S. General Douglas MacArthur referring to when he famously proclaimed "I shall return"?

The Philippines this one was to easy..

broncogirl7
06-22-2008, 10:30 PM
What city was involved in a firestorm late in the war in Europe..

Dresden?

broncogirl7
06-22-2008, 10:31 PM
The Philippines this one was to easy..

:D Okay, now you asked for it! I'll comprise a harder one later on.

Lonestar
Dresden?

bingo..

Dreadnought
I've got a really hard one then. The longest range hit ever scored in History by a gun against a moving target was achieved by a Royal Navy Battleship. Name that ship

Lonestar
06-22-2008, 10:36 PM
I've got a really hard one then. The longest range hit ever scored in History by a gun against a moving target was achieved by a Royal Navy Battleship. Name that ship

Duke of York

Lonestar
06-22-2008, 10:45 PM
What were the names of the feint scams to take the heat off of Operation Overlord D-Day?

There were two..

broncogirl7
06-22-2008, 11:11 PM
What were the names of the feint scams to take the heat off of Operation Overlord D-Day?

There were two..

Damn! Operation Fortitude and ummmm, Neptune?

Lonestar
06-22-2008, 11:13 PM
Damn! Operation Fortitude and ummmm, Neptune?

one is correct..

broncogirl7
06-22-2008, 11:16 PM
one is correct..

Well, I know Fortitude is correct...was it the Cicero affair??? If not...I give up.

Lonestar
06-22-2008, 11:31 PM
Well, I know Fortitude is correct...was it the Cicero affair??? If not...I give up.

Operation Fortitude and Operation Bodyguard..

broncogirl7
06-22-2008, 11:36 PM
Operation Fortitude and Operation Bodyguard..

Operation Bodyquard? What the heck was that one about?

Lonestar
06-22-2008, 11:40 PM
Operation BodyGuard? What the heck was that one about?

The major objective of this plan was to lead the Germans to believe that the invasion of northwestern Europe would come later than was actually planned, and to threaten attacks at other locations than the true objective, including the Pas de Calais, the Balkans, southern France, Norway, and Soviet attacks in Bulgaria and northern Norway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Bodyguard

broncogirl7
06-22-2008, 11:51 PM
The major objective of this plan was to lead the Germans to believe that the invasion of northwestern Europe would come later than was actually planned, and to threaten attacks at other locations than the true objective, including the Pas de Calais, the Balkans, southern France, Norway, and Soviet attacks in Bulgaria and northern Norway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Bodyguard

Thanks JR! That one blew my mind!

NameUsedBefore
06-23-2008, 03:16 AM
Not exactly WWII related, but there was a near-coup against FDR in 1933 headed by a lot of the elite.

NameUsedBefore
06-23-2008, 03:26 AM
Oh, and uh, I guess for a question:

Why was Joseph Goebels excommunicated by the Roman Catholic?

sneakers
06-23-2008, 04:47 AM

Why was Joseph Goebels excommunicated by the Roman Catholic?

Being a nazi? (that's certainly qualifies one for being excommunicated :D ) But my guess is that he was a homosexual?

edit: Nevermind I must be thinking of someone else...was Goebels the guy who killed his 5 kids and he and his wife commited suicide in the fuhrerbunker?

haroldthebarrel
06-23-2008, 11:46 AM
what was operation weserubung?

BigDaddyBronco
06-23-2008, 12:53 PM
what was operation weserubung?
Wasn't that the German's codename for invading Denmark and Norway?

BigDaddyBronco
06-23-2008, 12:57 PM
What was the bloodiest battle in the Pacific theater from an American standpoint?

Lonestar
06-23-2008, 01:02 PM

Why was Joseph Goebbels excommunicated by the Roman Catholic?
Perhaps because he committed suicide with his wife after killing his flock of kids.

Or his activity in the holocaust..

haroldthebarrel
06-23-2008, 03:30 PM
Wasn't that the German's codename for invading Denmark and Norway?

correct

broncogirl7
06-23-2008, 04:14 PM
What was the bloodiest battle in the Pacific theater from an American standpoint?

The Battle of Okinawa?

BigDaddyBronco
06-23-2008, 04:21 PM
The Battle of Okinawa?
Yep, twice as many soldiers were killed on Okinawa as were in Iwo Jima and Guadalcanal combined.

elsid13
06-23-2008, 04:25 PM
Besides the US and Japan what other countries lost subs in the Pacific during WWII?

Lonestar
06-23-2008, 06:53 PM
Besides the US and Japan what other countries lost a sub in the Pacific during WWII?

wild Guess on this Dutch?

elsid13
06-23-2008, 06:53 PM
wild Guess on this Dutch?

that one. Dutch lost 2 subs

I am sorry I realized I didn't pluralize the word sub

Lonestar
06-23-2008, 06:58 PM
that one. Dutch lost 2 subs

I am sorry I realized I didn't pluralize the word sub

russia or what ever it was called at the time.. Perhaps the aussies..

I do not believe that China had any going at that point.. and the french and Brits were not strong with and it was not in their area of responsibility..

elsid13
06-23-2008, 07:05 PM
russia or what ever it was called at the time.. Perhaps the aussies..

I do not believe that China had any going at that point.. and the french and Brits were not strong with and it was not in their area of responsibility..

The two countries were Dutch -2 lost- (you got that) and the Brits - 6-

Sorry for the poorly worded question.

Lonestar
06-23-2008, 07:09 PM
The two countries were Dutch -2 lost- (you got that) and the Brits - 6-

Sorry for the poorly worded question.

do not let it happen again..

I'm surprised the brits lost 6 I did not think they had that many in theater..

The US SUB force was a huge factor in winning the war against JAPAN.. Sunk alot of shipping and troop ships..

Lonestar
06-23-2008, 07:10 PM
What were US Submarines named for until they started making the nukes..

elsid13
06-23-2008, 07:15 PM
What were US Submarines named for until they started making the nukes..

Fish and maritime creatures

Lonestar
06-23-2008, 07:17 PM
Fish and maritime creatures

Is the correct answer..

Lonestar
06-23-2008, 07:20 PM
What is a noise redecution equipment was installed of WWII era subs to allow them to remain submerged and all but invisble to other sonars while snorkleing?

Lonestar
06-23-2008, 07:22 PM
how many torpedo tubes where on the pacific fleet subs and how were they configured?

elsid13
06-23-2008, 07:26 PM
Is the correct answer..

Actually it both. There were one named the sea lion that was lost.

Lonestar
06-23-2008, 07:31 PM
Is the correct answer..

Not according to the US SUB School. New London CONN... Fish only.

I stand corrected

elsid13
06-23-2008, 07:37 PM
Not according to the US SUB School. New London CONN... Fish only.

I stand corrected

No problem.

NameUsedBefore
06-23-2008, 08:10 PM
Perhaps because he committed suicide with his wife after killing his flock of kids.

Or his activity in the holocaust..

He married a Protestant.

Lonestar
06-23-2008, 10:27 PM
He married a Protestant.

would have never got that one..

sneakers
06-24-2008, 03:50 AM
What was the full name of the American gun, the "B.A.R."?

(does that make sense?)

elsid13
06-24-2008, 04:40 AM
What was the full name of the American gun, the "B.A.R."?

(does that make sense?)

Browning Automatic Rifle - M1918 and I think fires a 30' caliber shell. It was the squad automatic weapon for the infantry.

NameUsedBefore
06-25-2008, 02:34 AM
Germany developed a somewhat unique doctrine concerning infantry tactics and support weapons in that the infantry supported the "support weapon" instead of the other way around. What weapon was the center piece of the typical German infantry squad?

sneakers
06-25-2008, 05:44 AM
Germany developed a somewhat unique doctrine concerning infantry tactics and support weapons in that the infantry supported the "support weapon" instead of the other way around. What weapon was the center piece of the typical German infantry squad?

Was it the 88mm anti-tank/aircraft cannon?

NameUsedBefore
06-25-2008, 06:18 AM
Was it the 88mm anti-tank/aircraft cannon?

Negatory.

Dreadnought
06-25-2008, 07:26 AM
Duke of York

Sorry I forgot to respond here - It was actually HMS Warspite, which nailed the Italian Battleship Giulio Cesare at over 26,000 yards at the Battle of Calabria.

HMS Duke of York did some really impressive shooting when she sank the German Battlecruiser Scharnhorst - not as long range as Warspite, but in bad weather, low visibility, and heavy seas.

Lonestar
06-25-2008, 11:41 AM
Sorry I forgot to respond here - It was actually HMS Warspite, which nailed the Italian Battleship Giulio Cesare at over 26,000 yards at the Battle of Calabria.

HMS Duke of York did some really impressive shooting when she sank the German Battlecruiser Scharnhorst - not as long range as Warspite, but in bad weather, low visibility, and heavy seas.

I had looked at the list of Battleships for the Royal Navy and had not seen this one.. Good one..

need more questions here..

Dreadnought
06-25-2008, 11:56 AM
OK - what was the ABDA?

Hint: it is not a third rate Swedish Disco/Pop band from the 70's.

BigDaddyBronco
06-25-2008, 12:01 PM

MG-42 light machine gun?

BigDaddyBronco
06-25-2008, 12:05 PM
OK - what was the ABDA?

Hint: it is not a third rate Swedish Disco/Pop band from the 70's.
I want to think it was the group responsible for the defense of Southest Asia during the start of the hostilities there. Australian-British-Dutch-American?

Dreadnought
06-25-2008, 12:08 PM
I want to think it was the group responsible for the defense of Southest Asia during the start of the hostilities there. Australian-British-Dutch-American?

Yep - nice work. It was the command organized to defend the Dutch East Indies (Indonesia), and HQ'ed in Java

BigDaddyBronco
06-25-2008, 12:11 PM
Yep - nice work. It was the command organized to defend the Dutch East Indies (Indonesia), and HQ'ed in Java

They sure did a good job, especially in Malaysia and Singapore. :rolleyes:

Dreadnought
06-25-2008, 12:32 PM
They sure did a good job, especially in Malaysia and Singapore. :rolleyes:

It was a leadership performance that rivals Art Shell's last tour with the Raiders

NameUsedBefore
06-25-2008, 11:03 PM
MG-42 light machine gun?

Yay.

Most militaries of the day would use weapons like the .30-cal or the B.A.R. to support the infantry squad. The German doctrine was to have the infantry squad support the MG-42. It makes sense because the MG-42 was an amazing firearm (Germany recently retired the MG-3 IIRC, which was basically a modified MG-42). The Russians also had themselves a different doctrine by about 1943 which was to just give every soldier a sub-machine gun and swarm the enemy. Works horribly on a tactical level (hello, casualties), but on an operational level... well, they moved 500km in two weeks. Can't really complain.

Another question: If you've ever played a Command and Conquer game you might be familiar with the "two barreled" tank (I believe NOD had them in C&C, Russians in Red Alert and the Chinese had them in Generals). Seems fantastical, but the Russians actually had developed such a tank. What was it?

sneakers
06-26-2008, 12:28 AM
Yay.

Another question: If you've ever played a Command and Conquer game you might be familiar with the "two barreled" tank (I believe NOD had them in C&C, Russians in Red Alert and the Chinese had them in Generals). Seems fantastical, but the Russians actually had developed such a tank. What was it?

The Mammoth Tank:

http://www.tiberiumweb.com/forums/uploads/monthly_04_2007/post-123-1177632870.png

NameUsedBefore
06-26-2008, 12:30 AM
Ovah-LAWWWWD

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u144/ektufall/Shockwave92/China_NuclearOverlord.jpg

sneakers
06-26-2008, 12:32 AM
1. What weapon was sucessfully used by the Japanese to kill US civilians.
2. How many people were killed?
3. What state was it?

NameUsedBefore
06-26-2008, 12:43 AM
Balloons carrying bombs to the west coast. I want to say California, but Oregon comes to mind as well.

sneakers
06-26-2008, 01:23 AM
Balloons carrying bombs to the west coast. I want to say California, but Oregon comes to mind as well.

Pretty sure it was just oregon.

MOtorboat
06-26-2008, 07:45 AM
Pretty sure it was just oregon.

What were they? Heat-seeking balloons?

Dreadnought
06-26-2008, 07:56 AM
What were they? Heat-seeking balloons?

That was one of two attack modes, yes. Balloons with incendiary bombs, though I don't think they ever accomplished anything with these. It was a pretty goofy idea, really. They also launched an "airstrike" with a little folding Aichi "Glenn" floatplane launched from a submarine, which dropped a smallish bomb or two, which I think did do some actual damage. It sure wasn't going to bring us to our knees though, so it was kind of a waste of energy by the IJN.

MOtorboat
06-26-2008, 08:20 AM
That was one of two attack modes, yes. Balloons with incendiary bombs, though I don't think they ever accomplished anything with these. It was a pretty goofy idea, really. They also launched an "airstrike" with a little folding Aichi "Glenn" floatplane launched from a submarine, which dropped a smallish bomb or two, which I think did do some actual damage. It sure wasn't going to bring us to our knees though, so it was kind of a waste of energy by the IJN.

I remember the story. I was just making a joke.

I've also toured what's left of the San Diego touret guns on Cabrillo National Monument. That's cool, if you've never been there.

sneakers
07-22-2008, 05:26 AM
What beach did the Canadians land on during D-Day?

Dreadnought
07-22-2008, 06:39 AM
What beach did the Canadians land on during D-Day?

Juno

Dreadnought
07-22-2008, 07:45 AM
How was the German Heavy Cruiser Blucher sunk?

Hint: Harold the Barrel ought to know this one cold.

Den21vsBal19
07-22-2008, 08:07 AM

I know, I know :wave:

But I'll leave it a while for Harold ;)

BigDaddyBronco
07-22-2008, 08:11 AM

Was that the one the British commandos sunk in the Norwegian fjord or was that just a movie?

Dreadnought
07-22-2008, 08:19 AM
Was that the one the British commandos sunk in the Norwegian fjord or was that just a movie?

Tirpitz was sunk in a Norwegian Fjord, by the British in combined attacks from minisubs and Blockbuster bombs. Ten Nazi destroyers were sunk in Narvik Fjord after HMS Warspite and company blasted them to scrap metal at point blank range in 1940. Blucher was sunk in a Fjord also in 1940, but by unique method. Fjords were not kind to the Kreigsmarine!

BigDaddyBronco
07-22-2008, 08:30 AM
Tirpitz was sunk in a Norwegian Fjord, by the British in combined attacks from minisubs and Blockbuster bombs. Ten Nazi destroyers were sunk in Narvik Fjord after HMS Warspite and company blasted them to scrap metal at point blank range in 1940. Blucher was sunk in a Fjord also in 1940, but by unique method. Fjords were not kind to the Kreigsmarine!

I cheated and looked it up. Those sneaky Norwegians! :salute:

The Germans could have used some better intelligence.

Dreadnought
07-22-2008, 08:38 AM
I cheated and looked it up. Those sneaky Norwegians! :salute:

The Germans could have used some better intelligence.

LMAO! German Intel was pretty horrible throughout the War.

I've often thought that if you wanted to create the worst armed forces of WW2 you would combine German Intelligence services (S-2), Japanese Logistics and Support (S-4), a French Operations Section (S-3), and a Soviet Personel Office (S-1). If yu want to throw in S-5, Civil-Military Affairs, the Germans sucked there as well.

BigDaddyBronco
07-22-2008, 08:42 AM
LMAO! German Intel was pretty horrible throughout the War.

I've often thought that if you wanted to create the worst armed forces of WW2 you would combine German Intelligence services (S-2), Japanese Logistics and Support (S-4), a French Operations Section (S-3), and a Soviet Personel Office (S-1). If yu want to throw in S-5, Civil-Military Affairs, the Germans sucked there as well.
And put the whole mess under an Italian general. :laugh:

Den21vsBal19
07-22-2008, 03:34 PM
And put the whole mess under an Italian general. :laugh:
That's just cruel :lol:

September 1943, Captain Otto Skorzeny led one of the most famous commando raids of all time to rescue who?

BigDaddyBronco
07-22-2008, 03:40 PM
Didn't he fly some little plane to the top of a mountain to rescue Mussolini.

Dreadnought
07-22-2008, 03:52 PM
Den - why dont you answer the Blucher question? HTB had his chance to pump up Norwegian Pride!

Den21vsBal19
07-22-2008, 03:56 PM
Didn't he fly some little plane to the top of a mountain to rescue Mussolini.
Pretty close.

Skorzeny led a team of commandos in a raid against a hotel on Gran Sasso. The commandos landed by glider, whilst a second team attempted to hold the cable car station at the bottom of the mountain. When this failed, all 6'4 of Skorzeny, the not immeasurable Mussolini and a pilot squeezed into a two man Fiesler Storch like this

http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=41&pictureid=323

which just managed to takeoff the side of the mountain.

Den21vsBal19
07-22-2008, 03:57 PM
Den - why dont you answer the Blucher question? HTB had his chance to pump up Norwegian Pride!
I'll give him a while yet, he's not been on since the wee hours ;)

BeefStew25
07-22-2008, 04:00 PM
This is an awesome thread.

BigDaddyBronco
07-22-2008, 04:02 PM
This is an awesome thread.
Want to talk about Heidi Fleiss?

Dreadnought
07-22-2008, 04:03 PM
Amazing they fitted Skorzeny and that fat tub of goo Mussolini in a freakin' Storch. I'm guessing a pretty high "pucker factor" was at work when getting that thing into the air.

BeefStew25
07-22-2008, 04:07 PM
Want to talk about Heidi Fleiss?

No. The Greatest Generation does not deserve mention of her in their valient thread.

Den21vsBal19
07-22-2008, 04:08 PM
Amazing they fitted Skorzeny and that fat tub of goo Mussolini in a freakin' Storch. I'm guessing a pretty high "pucker factor" was at work when getting that thing into the air.
I don't think they actually got it into the air................

More like that line from Toy Story.......

'This isn't flying, it's falling with style' :lol:

Dreadnought
08-02-2008, 07:40 AM
I just finished a book on the New Guinea campaign...Yech, what a horrible place! In any event, as became usual in the SW Pacific, the Japanese supply system, which sucked even on a good day, broke down completely. The Australians fighting in New Guinea recorded taking a very small scared Japanese soldier as a POW - he had been directed to turn in his rifle and gear and report to the cooks! Apparently he felt dying for the Emporer should not involve going into the Wok. The Japanese resorted to cannibalism in a number of places, and this included hunting Aborigines.

This could have gone in the "Things that Suck" thread. Wow. "Private Hashimoto, you have a special and sacred mission to perform...."

Den21vsBal19
08-02-2008, 07:47 AM
I just finished a book on the New Guinea campaign...Yech, what a horrible place! In any event, as became usual in the SW Pacific, the Japanese supply system, which sucked even on a good day, broke down completely. The Australians fighting in New Guinea recorded taking a very small scared Japanese soldier as a POW - he had been directed to turn in his rifle and gear and report to the cooks! Apparently he felt dying for the Emporer should not involve going into the Wok. The Japanese resorted to cannibalism in a number of places, and this included hunting Aborigines.

This could have gone in the "Things that Suck" thread. Wow. "Private Hashimoto, you have a special and sacred mission to perform...."
And to think troops moan about modern ratpacks :laugh:

Dreadnought
08-02-2008, 11:28 AM
And to think troops moan about modern ratpacks :laugh:

It does kind of highlight the importance of Combat Support (CS) and Combat Service Support (CSS) too. The German King Tiger had always impressed me (not surprisingly.) I later read that the Germans had almost no vehicles that could tow the damned things! If they broke down they either fixed them in place if they could or just blew them up in place. That made them in a lot of ways worthless, particularly in retreat, regardless of huge gun and tremendous armor. Their whole maintainance system was borderline retarded, and cost them a huge amount of fighting power, esp. when compared to British or U.S. practice. Panzer commanders would cannibalize vehicles rather than allow them to be sent back to Germany for repair, because they lacked intermediate upper echelon repair facilities - and the units lost any vehicle they sent for repair off of their books! Essentially, the Germans had less staying power over the long haul because of dumb stuff like that. Japanese CSS incompetance speaks for itself :D

sneakers
08-03-2008, 12:51 AM
What year was it when the last Japanese soldier surrendered?

Lonestar
08-03-2008, 01:07 AM

must have been about late 1960 early 61 or so on Guam. My older brother was there when it happened.. Still thought the war was on.. had been harassing the naval base there for all that time..

NameUsedBefore
08-03-2008, 01:13 AM
Prisoners from what country were forced to play their German captors in soccer games?

Lonestar
08-03-2008, 01:16 AM
Prisoners from what country were forced to play their German captors in soccer games?

brits

NameUsedBefore
08-03-2008, 01:18 AM
brits

Nope.

Think more Eastern.

Lonestar
08-03-2008, 01:21 AM
Nope.

Think more Eastern.
the chinese:laugh:

NameUsedBefore
08-03-2008, 01:34 AM
the chinese:laugh:

Nope... now take your rickshaw and head west.

Lonestar
08-03-2008, 01:37 AM

to tired to guess and busy putting out flames in other threads.. Russians although the probably shot most of them then we have the french..

Beyond that not sure and frankly do not care about soccer. cause it is not real football..

back to the firefront..

NameUsedBefore
08-03-2008, 01:46 AM
to tired to guess and busy putting out flames in other threads.. Russians although the probably shot most of them then we have the french..

Beyond that not sure and frankly do not care about soccer. cause it is not real football..

back to the firefront..

Ukrainians.

They made a movie about it called 'Victory', but in the movie the prisoners were British, American and... Brasilian... Also not represented in the movie was the aftermath when the players, after beating the crap out of their captors in the games, were either executed or shipped off to death camps.

sneakers
08-03-2008, 01:46 AM

Was it the Americans?

Wasn't there some movie with Sylvester Stalone about it?

Lonestar
08-03-2008, 01:54 AM
Ukrainians.

They made a movie about it called 'Victory', but in the movie the prisoners were British, American and... Brasilian... Also not represented in the movie was the aftermath when the players, after beating the crap out of their captors in the games, were either executed or shipped off to death camps.

Stallone flick if I remember correctly.. That was why I said Brits up front..

I'm surprised to hear they did not execute the Ukrainians.. thanks for the info..

Den21vsBal19
08-03-2008, 06:37 AM
Stallone flick if I remember correctly.. That was why I said Brits up front..

I'm surprised to hear they did not execute the Ukrainians.. thanks for the info..
Escape to Victory (1981) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083284/)

A couple of actors, Michael Caine, Sylvester Stallone & Max von Sydow, along with a Who's who of some of the greatest players ever to play the beautiful game ~ Pele (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlncfMvTa2k), Ardilles, Bobby Moore & Kazimierz Deyna.

Great 'feel good' war film, unfortunately it's shown at least once a year, so it's easy to get sick of :laugh:

Den21vsBal19
08-03-2008, 06:55 AM
I remember this from school, April 1980.

An Imperial Japanese Army Captain, Fumio Nakahira finally surrendered on the island of Mindiro in the Philipines.............

I also seem to recall a story about a couple of soldiers captured in 1989 in Thailand, fitting with some Communist guerillas, but I'm not too sure about that one.........

sneakers
08-04-2008, 12:30 AM
I remember this from school, April 1980.

An Imperial Japanese Army Captain, Fumio Nakahira finally surrendered on the island of Mindiro in the Philipines.............

I also seem to recall a story about a couple of soldiers captured in 1989 in Thailand, fitting with some Communist guerillas, but I'm not too sure about that one.........

My favorite story is about the guy named Hiroo Onoda. He surrendered in 1974, and wouldn't listen to anyone who tried to tell him that the war was over. A Japanese student went into the mountains to find him and talk to him.

The student found out he would only surrender if it was an order from a superior officer. So the student took a picture of him with the soldier, and went back to Japan. They found one of his superiors who was now working as a fishermen or something like that....flew him down, and ordered the soldier to surrender.

They took a look at his gear that he had with him, he had like 500 rounds of ammo for his rifle (that was still in perfect working condition), and some hand grenades.

sneakers
08-04-2008, 12:36 AM
What was "Operation Paperclip"??? (done by the Americans)

Lonestar
08-04-2008, 12:39 AM
What was "Operation Paperclip"??? (done by the Americans)

getting germany scientists out of germany near the end of the war and just after before they fell into Russian hands..

mostly Rocket types van Braun was a headliner

next

sneakers
08-04-2008, 05:37 AM
How many Luftflotten (Air Fleets) were used by the Germans against the British during the Battle of Britain?

REB
09-21-2008, 11:59 PM
Alright, an easy one...

Q: What m/d/yr did Germany invade Poland?

REB
10-06-2008, 12:51 PM
alright, an easy one...

Q: What m/d/yr did germany invade poland?

a: 9/1/1939

REB
10-06-2008, 01:01 PM
What year did U.S. troops secure Guadalcanal?

Lonestar
10-06-2008, 01:05 PM
What year did U.S. troops secure Guadalcanal?

Feb1943

REB
10-06-2008, 01:08 PM
Feb1943

Correct :salute:

REB
10-06-2008, 01:12 PM
What year did the Soviet Union and Japan sign a 5 year non-aggression pact? Add day/month if you know.

Lonestar
10-06-2008, 01:14 PM
What year did the Soviet Union and Japan sign a 5 year non-aggression pact? Add day/month if you know.

April 13, 1941

REB
10-06-2008, 01:26 PM
April 13, 1941

Correct :salute:

REB
10-06-2008, 01:29 PM
What m/d/yr did Finland declare war on the Soviet Union?

FanInAZ
09-01-2009, 03:55 AM
Name the 3 US Carriers at Midway

FanInAZ
06-05-2010, 03:32 AM
What m/d/yr did Finland declare war on the Soviet Union?

I assume he means June 22, 1941; which in when Germany (their ally) invaded the Soviet Union. Unfortunately, this guys last post was a year and a half ago. So we may never know if this was the answer he was looking for.

FanInAZ
06-05-2010, 03:33 AM

Still waiting on a guess for this one.

broncogirl7
06-05-2010, 01:55 PM

USS Enterprise
USS Hornet
USS Yorktown

FanInAZ
06-05-2010, 04:23 PM
USS Enterprise
USS Hornet
USS Yorktown

:2thumbs:

What was the 4th Carrier that we started off the war with, but was sunk a month earlier at the battle of the Coral Sea?

topscribe
06-05-2010, 05:55 PM
:2thumbs:

What was the 4th Carrier that we started off the war with, but was sunk a month earlier at the battle of the Coral Sea?

Well, the Yorktown almost bought it, but it was the Lexington that was
scuttled in the battle.

At the time, the battle looked like a Japanese victory in terms of numbers
(sunk), but the ultimate victory belonged to the Allies since two major
Japanese carriers were taken out and were unable to take part in the next
major battle, which was the battle of Midway. This particular battle also
marked the beginning of the turning back of the Japanese expansion.

Here is a photo of an explosion on the Lexington from my Photobucket:

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/AZDynamics/Documentation/lexington_explosions.jpg

FanInAZ
06-05-2010, 07:25 PM
Well, the Yorktown almost bought it, but it was the Lexington that was
scuttled in the battle.

At the time, the battle looked like a Japanese victory in terms of numbers
(sunk), but the ultimate victory belonged to the Allies since two major
Japanese carriers were taken out and were unable to take part in the next
major battle, which was the battle of Midway. This particular battle also
marked the beginning of the turning back of the Japanese expansion.

Here is a photo of an explosion on the Lexington from my Photobucket:

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/AZDynamics/Documentation/lexington_explosions.jpg

:2thumbs: I've been know to give an extra point or two for those who give more details then asked for. I'll give you 20 extra points for your solid assessment of the battle :2thumbs:

Here's my personal assessment:

Picking a winner for the Battle of the Coral Sea from a tactical standpoint (meaning who endured the worst losses) is like trying to figure out who is winning a chess game while it is still being played. The chess gurus have long sense established a point system that based on what they believe to be the power that that individual piece has. Its the opinion of a friend of mine, who was a member of his high school chess club, that the knight should be worth more then a bishop. That because his knights play a more significant role in his style of play then it apparently does for the chess gurus that came up with this point system. Therefore, he would not hesitate to exchange one of his bishop for one of his opponents knights.

How does any of this apply to figuring out who won the Battle of the Coral Sea from a tactical standpoint? The following quote is an excerpt from the Encyclopædia Britannica that I have on my hard drive. (Because it is on my hard drive rather then online, I can't provide a link for you to go to.) Its a casualty list for the battle. For us to pick a tactical winner, we need to assign a point value to all of the ships on this list. This can be very subjective.

"On May 5 and 6, 1942, opposing carrier groups sought each other, and in the morning of May 7 Japanese carrier-based planes sank a U.S. destroyer and an oiler. Fletcher's planes sank the light carrier Shoho and a cruiser. The next day Japanese aircraft sank the U.S. carrier Lexington and damaged the carrier Yorktown, while U.S. planes so crippled the large Japanese carrier Shokaku that it had to retire from action."

So the Japanese casualties were...
Ships sunk: 1 Light Carrier & 1 Cruiser
Damaged: 1 Large Carrier (Missed the Battle of Midway and didn't return to action until August 1942, 2 months after Midway http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/sh-fornv/japan/japsh-s/shokaku.htm)

US casualties were...
Ships sunk 1 Fleet Carrier, 1 Destroyer & 1 Oiler
Damaged: 1 Fleet Carrier (Fought in the Battle of Midway)

My score card: The US having a Fleet Carrier sunk is definitely worse that the Japanese Light Carrier. However, I believe that the Japanese loosing 1 Cruiser is far worse then us loosing a destroyer and oiler. The fact that the Yorktown was able to fight at Midway, but the Shokaku couldn't return to action until two months later, also scores heavly in favor of the US. Others may score this differently, but I score it as a tactical draw.

From a strategic perspective, the stopping of the Japanese expansion was just the tip of the iceberg. The Japanese objective was to take Port Moresby in the Southwest corner of New Guinea and Tulagi in the southern Solomons. The Japanese needed these bases for their planned invasion of Australia. The following quote is from the same Britannica article and it elaborates on why the loss was so strategically bad for Japan.

"So many Japanese planes were lost that the Port Moresby invasion force, without adequate air cover and harassed by Allied land-based bombers, turned back to Rabaul. The four-day engagement was a strategic victory for the Allies."

FanInAZ
06-06-2010, 05:31 PM
What is today the 66th anniversary of?

broncogirl7
06-06-2010, 06:09 PM
What is today the 66th anniversary of?

D-Day!!!!

FanInAZ
06-06-2010, 10:04 PM
D-Day!!!!

:2thumbs: Now your back on a role after the brutal on in TV trivia. :2thumbs:

By the way, the one in Broncos trivia as not been correctly answered yet.

FanInAZ
06-25-2010, 06:57 AM
What was the name of the German general that spearheaded their last offensive on the Western Front that would become known as the "Battle of the Bulge"?

FanInAZ
02-20-2011, 05:16 PM
What was the name of the German general that spearheaded their last offensive on the Western Front that would become known as the "Battle of the Bulge"?

Still needing an answer to this question.

topscribe
02-20-2011, 05:27 PM

Still needing an answer to this question.

Lüttwitz. (I once spoke fluent German.) He is the one who gave the ultimatum,
to which General Anthony Clement "Nuts" McAuliffe replied just that: "Nuts!"
Lüttwitz found that quite confusing. lol

-----

FanInAZ
02-20-2011, 05:54 PM
Lüttwitz. (I once spoke fluent German.) He is the one who gave the ultimatum,
to which General Anthony Clement "Nuts" McAuliffe replied just that: "Nuts!"
Lüttwitz found that quite confusing. lol

-----

He was in command of the German forces assigned to capture Bastogne, but he was not in overall command of the entire offensive.

topscribe
02-20-2011, 06:00 PM
He was in command of the German forces assigned to capture Bastogne, but he was not in overall command of the entire offensive.

Uh-oh . . . well, close, eh?

The majority of my historical studies took place about, oh, 40 years ago . . . :D

-----

BigDaddyBronco
02-20-2011, 06:47 PM

von Rundstedt was over the German Army in the West and Model was in charge of the operation I think.

Dreadnought
02-20-2011, 10:01 PM
What is a "Stringbag?"

FanInAZ
02-21-2011, 12:57 AM
von Rundstedt was over the German Army in the West and Model was in charge of the operation I think.

von Rundstedt was in overall command of the German forces on the Western front and advised Hitler to much more modest objectives, but Hitler ignored him. Nevertheless, von Rundstedt was in Berlin advising Hitler. The job of leading the offensive was given to someone else.

FanInAZ
02-21-2011, 12:59 AM
What is a "Stringbag?"

Nope, In fact, I've never heard of him.

Mr Bojangles
08-10-2013, 12:34 PM

Lichtenstein and the Vatican

Mr Bojangles
08-10-2013, 12:36 PM

The RMS Hood

Mr Bojangles
08-10-2013, 12:40 PM
Divine Wind ~ Kamikaze

Jet fighters..?

Day1BroncoFan
08-10-2013, 12:41 PM
The RMS Hood

The HMS Hood, if that's what you're referring to did not sink the Bismarck and it took several British ships to sink it. The first nail in the coffin was a torpedo from an airplane that hit the rudder of the Bismarck and made it impossible to steer.

Mr Bojangles
08-10-2013, 12:43 PM

Phillipines...hey I got one right!

Dreadnought
08-10-2013, 12:47 PM
The HMS Hood, if that's what you're referring to did not sink the Bismarck and it took several British ships to sink it. The first nail in the coffin was a torpedo from an airplane that hit the rudder of the Bismarck and made it impossible to steer.

Right. She was finished off by two battleships, HMS King George V and HMS Rodney, and finally torpedoed by cruiser HMS Dorsetshire

Mr Bojangles
08-10-2013, 12:54 PM

Yeah, you're correct. After I posted, I remembered that it was the other way 'round....the Bismarck sunk the Hood

ChesterMarcol
08-10-2013, 08:15 PM
Graf Spree. They named Spree candy after this vessel. The ship lasted approx 7 years after being launched, which is 5 more years than Montee Ball will last in the NFL.

Broncolingus
08-10-2013, 11:08 PM
Graf Spree. They named Spree candy after this vessel. The ship lasted approx 7 years after being launched, which is 5 more years than Montee Ball will last in the NFL.

Someone ought to tell Wisconsin they can actually do a magical thing called 'throw' the football too...