PDA

View Full Version : The Denver Broncos 2010 Training Camp Preview- Offense

Ziggy
07-14-2010, 07:16 PM
Denver Broncos 2010 Training Camp Preview- Offense

As we draw closer to training camp, we're going to break down the Bronco's roster by position. This week, the offense is under the microscope.

Fullbacks-

Currently on the roster: Spencer Larsen, Russ Hochstein

During the 2009 season, the fullback position was rarely used. Expect to see more 2 back sets in 2010. Spencer Larsen should have a lock on the starting position. He's played well when called upon, and should be primed for his third NFL season. While he lacks the soft hands to be utilized more as a receiving back, he brings an attack mentality to the blocking aspect his game. His only other competition on the roster currently is Russ Hochstein, who played FB in goal line and short yardage situations last season before moving to guard full time after Ben Hamilton's injury. With the new depth on the interior Oline, I expect to see Hochstein regularly at FB during camp once he gets back from rehabbing his injured knee.

Projected starter- Spencer Larsen
Projected backup- Russ Hochstein
When it's all said and done- No, I don't expect to see Tim Tebow in at the fullback position, regardless of depth. Don't be surprised to see another offensive lineman or tight end moved to FB part time in camp to give the Broncos more options here.

Tight Ends-

Currently on the roster: Daniel Graham, Richard Quinn, Marquez Branson, Riar Greer, Nathan Overbay

During the 2009 season, tight ends were used more as blockers than receivers. Don't expect that to change this season. Daniel Graham is still one of the best blocking tight ends in the NFL. Until Ryan Clady returns, expect Graham to be babysitting the left tackle position early and often. With the Broncos commitment to both the power running scheme, and stretching the field more often, Graham will be more valuable to this team than ever. Richard Quinn will provide some power on the other side of the line in 2 tight end sets, and Marquez Branson will make his bid to replace Scheffler during camp.

Projected Starter- Daniel Graham
Projected backup- Richard Quinn
Other final roster candidates- Marquez Branson
When it's all said and done- The Broncos should carry 3 tight ends into the season. Riar Greer and Nathan Overbay will make their cases in camp, but I doubt that either will sniff the final roster.

Quarterbacks-

Currently on the roster: Kyle Orton, Brady Quinn, Time Tebow

During the 2009 season, Orton was consistent but unspectacular. He's proven throughout his career that he can manage a team with a good defense, but he's not going to produce many wins on his own. Brady Quinn and Tim Tebow bring the mobility and physical assets that McDaniels craves in his quarterbacks, but neither have proven themselves in the NFL. I expect Orton to be the starter, but on a short leash. He'll be required to stretch the field more often this season. If he can't do that, look for him to be replaced by mid season. After trading back into the first round to select Tebow, the Broncos will find a way to use him. Expect to see him on short yardage and goal line situations often.

Projected Starter- Kyle Orton
Projected Backups- Brady Quinn and Tim Tebow
When it's all said and done- Although I expect Orton to begin the season as the starter, I'd be shocked if he finished that way. Quinn and Tebow will compete in camp. With Orton having obvious limitations, I expect both to have a realistic shot at lining up with the starters by week 8.

Center-

Currently on the roster: Dustin Fry, JD Walton. Both Russ Hochstein and Eric Olsen can also play the position if injuries play a part here.

During the 2009 season, Casey Wegman's level of play dropped dramatically. Lacking the bulk to move bigger defenders, he was pushed around throughout the season. Out is Wegman, and in come the big boys. At 320 pounds, Dustin Fry brings the size, but 305 pound JD Walton brings the nasty disposition that Oline coaches long for in their lineman. Walton has been running with the first team in OTA's, and I don't expect that to change in the next decade or so. Watching him play, I see a young Tom Nalen with 20 more pounds of muscle..

Projected Starter- JD Walton
Projected Backups- Eric Olsen, Russ Hochstein, Lonnie Paxton
When it's all said and done- With Paxton guaranteed a roster spot, I don't see Fry making the cut.

Guard-

Currently on the roster: Chris Kuper, Russ Hochstein, D'Anthony Batiste, Zane Beadles, Eric Olsen, Seth Olsen, Stanley Daniels

During the 2009 season, Kuper played injured often, Ben Hamilton proved ineffective, and Hochstein was average at best in relief. The Broncos have shown their confidence in Kuper with a shiny new contract extension. He should anchor the right guard position for years to come. The competition will be at left guard. Seth Olen is entering his 2nd season and played well in the power blocking scheme at Iowa. I look for the starter to be either him or 2nd round pick Zane Beadles, with Beadles having the slight edge. Hochstein could push them, but he's more of your 'jack of all trades, master of none' type of player. While that versatility will land him a spot on the final roster, it won't win him a starting position along the offensive line.

Projected Starters- Chris Kuper, Zane Beadles
Projected Backups- Russ Hochstein, Seth Olsen
When it's all said and done- Eric Olsen may not make the final roster with the Broncos, but he's a sure fire practice squad candidate. His versatility should help him stick somewhere in the NFL.

Tackle-

Currently on the roster: Ryan Clady, Ryan Harris, Chris Marinelli, Paul Duncan, Kirk Barton, Tyler Polumbus

During the 2009 season, Ryan Clady's play dropped off some, but not enough to keep him from being named all-pro. He's established himself as one of the premier tackles in the league. Ryan Harris was once again injured, and the line play fell off dramatically without him. Going into the last year of his contract, it's imperative that he keep himself on the field and healthy during the 2010 season. With the possibility of southpaw Tim Tebow being the future at QB in Denver, the right tackle position will become even more important to the future success of the franchise. A big year from Harris will probably result in a big contract in the off season, especially with the lack of quality depth at tackle.

Projected Starters- Ryan Clady, Ryan Harris
Projected Backups- Tyler Polumbus
When it's all said and done- The Clady injury during the off season was devastating. If he doesn't return healthy early in the season, the Broncos line could be in trouble again. Ryan Harris will also be coming off of a major injury, and as previously stated, the depth at tackle leaves much to be desired. Chris Marinelli will get a chance to make the final roster if either Harris or Clady are late to return. If not, look for him to be put on the practice squad.

Running Back-

Currently on the roster: Knowshon Moreno, JJ Arrington, Correll Buckhalter, Toney Baker, Lance Ball, Bruce Hall, Kolby Smith

During the 2009 season, Buckhalter was solid when healthy. Knowshon Moreno ran hard, but often into the wrong gap. Knowshon will have to have more patience this season. He has the physical tools to be a 1500 yard back, but does he have the vision and the patience? JJ Arrington will give it another go after missing a full season with a knee injury. The wild card in this group is Toney Baker. Before his knee injuries, he was a first round talent. If he's back to 100%, he has the ability to be the surprise of training camp. The revamped interior offensive line will be a huge factor in how well this group of backs do.

Projected Starter- Knowshon Moreno
Projected Backups- Correll Buckhalter, JJ Arrington, Toney Baker
When it's all said and done- Tim Tebow may end up with more rushing TD's than any of the backs. I expect him to be in often on short yardage and goal line situations. If Arrington has lost his explosiveness, he's more than likely lost his career in the NFL.

Wide Receiver-

Currently on the roster: Jabar Gaffney , Eddie Royal, Demaryius Thomas, Eric Decker, Brandon Stokely, Kenny McKinnley, Alric Arnett, Patrick Honeycutt, Brandon Lloyd, Matt Willis

During the 2009 season, Brandon Marshall continued to put up big numbers. The Broncos ultimately decided to go in another direction, and traded their pro bowl receiver to the Dolphins. Demaryius Thomas will try to fill his shoes, but it's highly unlikely that he can do it in his first year. Brandon Lloyd showed flashes of brilliance late in the season when he got his chance to get on the field. Jabar Gaffney is a solid pro, and will make the roster. Eddie Royal may be the biggest key to this group. After having an outstanding rookie season, his numbers dropped dramatically last year. McDaniels has stated publicly that he didn't use Royal as much as he should have, and hopes to move him around more this season. Look for the Broncos to also cut back Eddie's duties on kick returns this year, and let him focus more on his receiving duties.

Projected Starters- Demaryius Thomas, Eddie Royal, Jabar Gaffney
Projected Backups- Brandon Lloyd, Eric Decker, Kenny McKinley
When it's all said and done- The surprise cut here was Brandon Stokely. I'm giving the edge to McKinnley due to his return abilities. With Royal playing in the slot more, I just don't think that there will be enough playing time to justify keeping Stokely.

The Denver Broncos offensive will look to run with authority and stretch the field more often this season. Do they have the horses to do it? I believe they do. Will they be a top 5 offense? I believe they won't. The focus will be on improving in both short yardage and red zone situations, and keeping the defense off of the field more often this season. Look for offensive improvement, but not domination.

Lonestar
07-14-2010, 10:50 PM
That was a great post keep them coming.

underrated29
07-14-2010, 11:26 PM
Did you write that Ziggs?

I like it, very well done....One thing I disagree on is Eric Olsen, I am just not sure he will be snuck onto the practice squad. I think he would get claimed. He is really versitle, able to play C, and G. Plus he is young cheap and has a lot of upside.

Of course we just may try it, but I just dont know.....we do have to cut someone most likely, still..........

Nicely done.

Ziggy
07-14-2010, 11:46 PM
Did you write that Ziggs?

I like it, very well done....One thing I disagree on is Eric Olsen, I am just not sure he will be snuck onto the practice squad. I think he would get claimed. He is really versitle, able to play C, and G. Plus he is young cheap and has a lot of upside.

Of course we just may try it, but I just dont know.....we do have to cut someone most likely, still..........

Nicely done.

Thanks UR29. You have a great point about Olsen but I just don't know if we have room for him on the final roster barring injuries. Hochstein brings depth at G, C, and FB, so I see him as a lock if he's healthy. Beadles was a 2nd round pick, Seth Olsen will battle for a starting spot, and Kuper is cemented at RG. I doubt we keep more than 3-4 guards on the final roster.

Bosco
07-14-2010, 11:56 PM
Good post.

oubronco
07-15-2010, 08:43 AM
Real good post thanks

Slick
07-15-2010, 09:06 AM
Nice job Ziggy.

I'm really curious to see how these new offensive lineman play and to see Baker run the ball. I like his style.

Ziggy
07-15-2010, 11:01 AM
Baker was a nice combination of power and speed before he was injuerd. He ran a lot like MJD in college. I'd love to see him stay heatlthy and get a shot at the final roster.

TXBRONC
07-15-2010, 11:02 AM
Great job Ziggy!

There is only one place where I differ with you. I think McKinley is probably on the bubble as well. I see your argument that McKinley could make it because he's might have value as returner but we also have Royal (as you know) Alphonso Smith, Arrington and one of our rookie defensive backs has experience as well I think it'sThompson but I don't remember for sure. That's pretty crowded field. However if McKinley has made significant strides he might make it.

I also wouldn't find it surprising if Stokley is let go as well.

Anyway I think you did a great job. :beer: :salute:

MasterShake
07-15-2010, 11:27 AM
I'm really excited about our new receivers. August and September can't get here soon enough!

T.K.O.
07-15-2010, 11:52 AM
very well thought out.....great post !
i do have a hard time believing stokes will be released though,if he gets through TC and preseason healthy,he's just too valuable.
knows the system and gets open.....a handy combination in mcD's system (or any for that matter):salute:

TXBRONC
07-15-2010, 12:22 PM
very well thought out.....great post !
i do have a hard time believing stokes will be released though,if he gets through TC and preseason healthy,he's just too valuable.
knows the system and gets open.....a handy combination in mcD's system (or any for that matter):salute:

That's the rub, will Stokley be able to stay healthy.

T.K.O.
07-15-2010, 12:28 PM
That's the rub, will Stokley be able to stay healthy.

i think he will be retained and be used less while royal will be featured in his spot(which should help him stay healthy).but if eddie struggles he will be a more than servicable replacement .
also will allow eddie to rest up after those 78 yd kickoff returns:beer:

TXBRONC
07-15-2010, 12:50 PM
i think he will be retained and be used less while royal will be featured in his spot(which should help him stay healthy).but if eddie struggles he will be a more than servicable replacement .

I don't think Ziggy's idea is to far fetched I think it is possibily that Stokley could end being let go because it's getting kind of crowded with group. I think last year we carried six and going into camp I can think of seven on the roster. So someone is going to get bumped. McKinley seems more likely to me but Stokley has had issues with his health over the last three or four season. I'm curious as to how it will all play out.

Lonestar
07-15-2010, 12:57 PM

Josh commented that Eddie was not used properly last year and would see more time at WR and less @ KR.

We have drafted more folks for those duties as well as a couple from last year can step up.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Ziggy
07-15-2010, 12:58 PM
Stokely is one of my favorites, because he's 100% class. With the influx of young talent at receiver though, you can't have a 4th wideout that doesn't contribute in other ways. Demaryius will be one of the top 3 wideouts. Gaffney can play any of the WR positions, Eddie can return kicks, Decker can be a big blocker and compete at the gunner position on special teams, and McKinley can return kicks. That leaves Stokely as a slot receiver and nothing else. Even Brandon Lloyd can stretch the field. Royal and McKinley can both play the slot, and return kicks. I just don't see Stokes making it. I see him as an early cut, giving him a chance to catch on with another team.

Lonestar
07-15-2010, 01:00 PM
Also meant to adress Stokley he carries a hefty price tag IIRC.

If they have his replacement no sense in wasting the cash for a what if someone gets hurt senario.

underrated29
07-15-2010, 01:34 PM
McKinley could make it because he's might have value as returner but we also have Royal (as you know) Alphonso Smith, Arrington and one of our rookie defensive backs has experience as well I think it'sThompson but I don't remember for sure.

Perrish Cox...That is who you are thinking of. Perrish was a great returner. Syd the squid is just a cb,imo.

Stokely is one of my favorites, because he's 100% class. With the influx of young talent at receiver though, you can't have a 4th wideout that doesn't contribute in other ways. Demaryius will be one of the top 3 wideouts. Gaffney can play any of the WR positions, Eddie can return kicks, Decker can be a big blocker and compete at the gunner position on special teams, and McKinley can return kicks. That leaves Stokely as a slot receiver and nothing else. Even Brandon Lloyd can stretch the field. Royal and McKinley can both play the slot, and return kicks. I just don't see Stokes making it. I see him as an early cut, giving him a chance to catch on with another team.

It could just be what I was thinking last year in my own opinion, but i believe that Stokely was on the bubble last year as well was he not? I really think so...

But i agree he is gone this year--what it looks like in no order.

DT
Jabar
royal
decker
mckinley
lloyd
willis to the practice squad.

TXBRONC
07-15-2010, 01:35 PM
Perrish Cox...That is who you are thinking of. Perrish was a great returner. Syd the squid is just a cb,imo.

It could just be what I was thinking last year in my own opinion, but i believe that Stokely was on the bubble last year as well was he not? I really think so...

But i agree he is gone this year--what it looks like in no order.

DT
Jabar
royal
decker
mckinley
lloyd
willis to the practice squad.

Thanks under.

T.K.O.
07-15-2010, 01:48 PM
Josh commented that Eddie was not used properly last year and would see more time at WR and less @ KR.

We have drafted more folks for those duties as well as a couple from last year can step up.

is it parrish cox that is supposed to be a real badass KR ?
i think that's what i heard:confused:
anyway your probably right about the team wanting to keep eddie fresh and involved at WR ,but man after those 2 torches he lit up on the bolts....it will be hard not to try and exploit his return abilities.
here's hoping he does so well recieving they won't risk him as a return guy:beer:

TXBRONC
07-15-2010, 01:50 PM
anyway your probably right about the team wanting to keep eddie fresh and involved at WR ,but man after those 2 torches he lit up on the bolts....it will be hard not to try and exploit his return abilities.
here's hoping he does so well recieving they won't risk him as a return guy:beer:

Cox has experience as both a punt returner and kick returner correct?

Tempus Fugit
07-15-2010, 04:11 PM
Interesting slant. I saw a couple of solid points. I did want to get out in front of one thing you stated, though, and it's about the quarterback position:

When it's all said and done- Although I expect Orton to begin the season as the starter, I'd be shocked if he finished that way. Quinn and Tebow will compete in camp. With Orton having obvious limitations, I expect both to have a realistic shot at lining up with the starters by week 8.

All 3 QBs have limitations. For all the talk here about Orton's arm, it's stronger than Quinn's, and Orton is the more accurate passer. As for Tebow, well.... a rookie QB with throwing issues is all about limitations.

underrated29
07-15-2010, 04:19 PM

Cox has experience as both a punt returner and kick returner correct?

Yes and Yes...

Cox has both. And he did really well at punts. He did a good job too at KR, but I think he had 2 KRtds and 4 PRtds.....

I would still suspect that phonz, mckinely will handle KR and eddie and cox might interchange on PR---just a wild guess here..I guess tc will show us.

TXBRONC
07-15-2010, 04:29 PM
Yes and Yes...

Cox has both. And he did really well at punts. He did a good job too at KR, but I think he had 2 KRtds and 4 PRtds.....

I would still suspect that phonz, mckinely will handle KR and eddie and cox might interchange on PR---just a wild guess here..I guess tc will show us.

This just likely as anything else. But then again maybe one guy becomes the workhorse for both.