PDA

View Full Version : New Message Board Features -- Photo Albums and Message Tagging/Tag Cloud

Tned
06-14-2008, 08:25 AM
There are two fairly major new features that I have enabled with the upgrade to vBulletin 3.7.1.

User Photo Albums:

There is now a photo album feature in your member profile where you can create photo albums and upload photos.

If you go to your Public Profile, on the right hand side, you will see a box called "Albums". This is where your photo albums will be located. You can click "Add Album" a new album (you can have multiple albums to organize your photos). Once you create an album, you can upload pictures.

There are some limits.

You can have a maximum of 100 pictures
If the pictures are over 600x600 in size, they will be resized to 600x600 when uploading.
Maximum picture size is 195k

Thread tagging (keywords) and tag cloud:

When creating threads, you can now add tags or keywords to the thread. For instance, if it is an article about Cutler, you might add tags like Jay Cutler, passing game, offense, etc. If it was an article about global warming, you might add tags like global warming, weather, climate, climate change, etc.

Also, tags can be added by any forum member, not just the thread starter. At the bottom of the thread (above the Quick Reply box), is the list of tags for that thread. You can click "Edit Tags" on the far right of the tag list and add your own two tags to that thread. PLEASE only add appropriate and relevant tags. Don't use this feature to slam the thread starter.

As tags are added to threads, the forum has an easy way to start finding all posts about global warming or Jay Cutler or any other tags/keywords assigned to posts.

There are two options to view the tags. First, you can click "Search" and then you will see a choice of "Tag Search" and it will show you the "Tag Cloud". Second, if you go to the forum index (forum list), there will be a new box at the top titled "Tag Cloud". I will also be attempting to add the Tag Cloud to the home page www.broncosforums.com

The way the tag cloud works is that it shows all the tags that have been applied to threads throughout the message board, but they show up in different font sizes. As more threads are created with a given tag and the thread is more active, then that tag will appear larger than other tags to stand out more and show it is a popular tag/topic.

This is a great feature if people start tagging threads. In addition to normal searching, this gives people a very quick way to find posts about any given subject.

You can also see the Tag Cloud here: http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/tags.php

If you have any questions, post them in this thread.

T

Den21vsBal19
06-14-2008, 09:28 AM
Appreciate the effort, old chap :beer:

Now to see what's what ;)

OB
06-14-2008, 09:36 AM
Kick ass tned - this is great for everyone who doesnt do myspace or facebook

why r u so awesome t - one of these days u and i are going to sit n chat n drink bottle after bottle of riesling :beer:

we need a wine smiley :D

atwater27
06-14-2008, 11:29 AM
I am a tagging fool. Had to create a few threads... the Broncos Forums tag cloud just didn't look right without some ring of famers up in there.

Retired_Member_001
06-14-2008, 01:22 PM
I am a tagging fool. Had to create a few threads... the Broncos Forums tag cloud just didn't look right without some ring of famers up in there.

I wondered why you created so many threads. :laugh:

Thanks Tned. :salute:

BroncoBJ
06-14-2008, 01:45 PM
Great job as usual Tned :elefant:

But couldn't you just search "Jay Cutler" and stuff before and find threads?
So the Tags is pretty much like the search engine it seems

Devilspawn
06-14-2008, 03:15 PM
"Are there any tag words that are not allowed?" George Carlin asked fiendishly.

Tned
06-14-2008, 03:21 PM

Yes.

First, the tag words need to comply with the main message board, NOT the lounge, rules.

Second, they should be in good taste. The concept is to allow people to find topics, so they shouldn't be used to find threads of interest, but we need to stay away from things like oral sex, hot chicks, stupid men, etc.

Basically, since these are tags/keywords that will be in the cloud and on the front page of the message board, I hope everyone shows restraints and puts 'on topic' tags on threads, BUT ALSO keywords that won't embarrass the message board since the clouds are out of the Lounge and on the home page.

Beyond that, I can't really define it, but it is a very good question.

Tned
06-14-2008, 03:28 PM
Kick ass tned - this is great for everyone who doesnt do myspace or facebook

why r u so awesome t - one of these days u and i are going to sit n chat n drink bottle after bottle of riesling :beer:

we need a wine smiley :D

We will definately have to do that some time.

Great job as usual Tned :elefant:

But couldn't you just search "Jay Cutler" and stuff before and find threads?
So the Tags is pretty much like the search engine it seems

I don't know why, but it is the 'rage' on the internet right now. You gotta have a tag cloud.

I think it is one a quick way to find topics, without searching. Think of them as quick, predefined searches. Also, a search will return a ton of hits. Let's say you such on Cutler, you will get all kinds of returns, many of them not really about cutler. Maybe about the running game, where someone mentions Cutler's name.

By tagging threads and having the tag cloud, it makes finding 'on topic' threads easier, without having to sort through so many threads in your search result.

I guess that's the concept.

Tned
06-14-2008, 03:35 PM

Further on this subject, I just had to delete some tags from smack. I'm just quoting your post, because it is on topic for why I had to delete them:

Pre-teen smack (borderline I suppose)
trollspeak
Ultimate geyness (or something like that).

Haven't looked at the logs to see who created the tags, and won't at this point, but as I said above, the tags are NOT to be used for slamming threads/posters and stuff like that.

Den21vsBal19
06-14-2008, 03:53 PM
Who has the abiltiy to edit the tags once they're posted?

Could someone hijack a thread by changing the existing tags, or can the Mods edit any that are inappropriate?

Devilspawn
06-14-2008, 04:03 PM
Yes.

First, the tag words need to comply with the main message board, NOT the lounge, rules.

Second, they should be in good taste. The concept is to allow people to find topics, so they shouldn't be used to find threads of interest, but we need to stay away from things like oral sex, hot chicks, stupid men, etc.

Basically, since these are tags/keywords that will be in the cloud and on the front page of the message board, I hope everyone shows restraints and puts 'on topic' tags on threads, BUT ALSO keywords that won't embarrass the message board since the clouds are out of the Lounge and on the home page.

Thanks for the 'splination. Out of curiosity I clicked on one tag, Illegal Immigration, and saw two threads pop up. So is this like a quicker way to use a search, is it as detailed? Like if Selvin Young was in the cloud, would threads that are only tagged with Selvin's name pop up or all threads with Selvin's name in it?

LOL I just realized, good think I didn't say Travis Henry was in the cloud.

Tned
06-14-2008, 04:14 PM
Thanks for the 'splination. Out of curiosity I clicked on one tag, Illegal Immigration, and saw two threads pop up. So is this like a quicker way to use a search, is it as detailed? Like if Selvin Young was in the cloud, would threads that are only tagged with Selvin's name pop up or all threads with Selvin's name in it?

LOL I just realized, good think I didn't say Travis Henry was in the cloud.

Who has the abiltiy to edit the tags once they're posted?

Could someone hijack a thread by changing the existing tags, or can the Mods edit any that are inappropriate?

Anyone can add tags to a thread (not just the post starter). Mods should be able to remove any innapropriate tags, but I will need to double check and make sure those permissions are setup properly.

Rick
06-14-2008, 07:41 PM
Does the tags cloud have to be at the top for any particular reason?

Just asking as IMO I don't think it is very attractive and might be nicer to stick it down on the bottom.

Just my :2cents:

Tned
06-14-2008, 07:48 PM
Does the tags cloud have to be at the top for any particular reason?

Just asking as IMO I don't think it is very attractive and might be nicer to stick it down on the bottom.

Just my :2cents:

Nope, it's configurable. I chose up there, because a lot of users aren't used to it, so that will get them thinking about it, but down the road, I can drop it below the forum index, or below who's online.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-14-2008, 08:23 PM
Nope, it's configurable. I chose up there, because a lot of users aren't used to it, so that will get them thinking about it, but down the road, I can drop it below the forum index, or below who's online.

Is it possible to make the Tag Cloud an option for each member - see it if you want, don't see it if you don't want?

Tned
06-14-2008, 08:47 PM
Is it possible to make the Tag Cloud an option for each member - see it if you want, don't see it if you don't want?

No. It is a board wide option.

dogfish
06-14-2008, 10:41 PM
Also, tags can be added by any forum member, not just the thread starter. At the bottom of the thread (above the Quick Reply box), is the list of tags for that thread. You can click "Edit Tags" on the far right of the tag list and add your own two tags to that thread. PLEASE only add appropriate and relevant tags. Don't use this feature to slam the thread starter.

so things like "circle jerk" and "ass rape" are out, huh?

you'd probably better make a rule that no one is allowed to tag clay's threads. . . .

Tned
06-14-2008, 10:46 PM
so things like "circle jerk" and "ass rape" are out, huh?

you'd probably better make a rule that no one is allowed to tag clay's threads. . . .

I've already had to delete over a dozen tags. :mad:

dogfish
06-14-2008, 10:50 PM

sorry about that. . . you'd love to think that everyone could act like an adult, but it's never going to happen. . . . i hate to say this, but it has the potential to be a continuous headache. . . .

Tned
06-14-2008, 10:55 PM
sorry about that. . . you'd love to think that everyone could act like an adult, but it's never going to happen. . . . i hate to say this, but it has the potential to be a continuous headache. . . .

We'll see. Sites all over the net use it, so hopefully we will have minimal abuse.

BroncoBJ
06-15-2008, 12:41 AM
We'll see. Sites all over the net use it, so hopefully we will have minimal abuse.

Yea, but sites like youtube and stuff anything goes. I've used the F word and other crazy stuff numerous times in my random tags :lol:

On this site I know I won't though.
But hopefully people can act mature on things and follow the rules. :salute:

You should ban people for that and make it a new rule btw if it keeps acting up.

atwater27
06-15-2008, 02:01 AM
Further on this subject, I just had to delete some tags from smack. I'm just quoting your post, because it is on topic for why I had to delete them:

Pre-teen smack (borderline I suppose)
trollspeak
Ultimate geyness (or something like that).

Haven't looked at the logs to see who created the tags, and won't at this point, but as I said above, the tags are NOT to be used for slamming threads/posters and stuff like that.

Guilty

atwater27
06-15-2008, 02:03 AM
my bad

atwater27
06-15-2008, 02:04 AM
You should ban people for that and make it a new rule btw if it keeps acting up.

I am the tagging bandit.

atwater27
06-15-2008, 02:36 AM
OK guys, I need some help. I just tagged anything I could find on Elway, Davis, and McCaffrey and Smith. But we are still missing any threads about Trevor Pryce, Floyd Little, Sammy Winder, Craig Morton, Rulon Jones, Rich Jackson, Michael brooks, Randy Gradishar, Tom Jackson, Louis Wright, Rick Upchurch, yes I am missign a thousand others. And seriously, there is no reason why John Elway and Terrell Davis shouldn't be the 2 biggest names on the list.....

Watchthemiddle
06-15-2008, 02:54 AM
Do others see our photo albums? Or are they just albums for each member and private?

Tned
06-15-2008, 02:58 AM
Do others see our photo albums? Or are they just albums for each member and private?

When you create the album you can choose it to be a public or private album.

I 'think', but am not sure, that if you make it a private album, you can then create contacts and your contacts will see your private album, but I can't swear to that.

LordTrychon
06-15-2008, 04:49 AM

Is it something you can remove as an ability from a member who abuses?

Rick
06-15-2008, 09:38 AM
OK guys, I need some help. I just tagged anything I could find on Elway, Davis, and McCaffrey and Smith. But we are still missing any threads about Trevor Pryce, Floyd Little, Sammy Winder, Craig Morton, Rulon Jones, Rich Jackson, Michael brooks, Randy Gradishar, Tom Jackson, Louis Wright, Rick Upchurch, yes I am missign a thousand others. And seriously, there is no reason why John Elway and Terrell Davis shouldn't be the 2 biggest names on the list.....

Ya there is something wrong when on a football forum...GOLF is one of the biggest tags:lol:

Tned
06-15-2008, 02:10 PM
Is it something you can remove as an ability from a member who abuses?

Yes, I can create a new user group which doesn't have permissions to tag threads, but hopefully as the novelty wears off people will use it properly.

To make life somewhat easier on the mods, I can also make it a 'bannable' group, meaning they could move a person to that group for x number of days or weeks, using the "mod control panel" you are familiar with.

LordTrychon
06-15-2008, 03:51 PM
Yes, I can create a new user group which doesn't have permissions to tag threads, but hopefully as the novelty wears off people will use it properly.

To make life somewhat easier on the mods, I can also make it a 'bannable' group, meaning they could move a person to that group for x number of days or weeks, using the "mod control panel" you are familiar with.

That's what I meant... bannable group. Awesome.

More bans.

Yeah.

sweet

BroncoBJ
06-15-2008, 04:02 PM
btw.... If you tag a thread in the lounge does it still have to be rated PG or whatever?

Cause people talk about lots of crazy stuff in the lounge so if you put a naughty tag or something on something in the lounge will it still show up on the tag cloud search?

Tned
06-15-2008, 04:29 PM
btw.... If you tag a thread in the lounge does it still have to be rated PG or whatever?

Cause people talk about lots of crazy stuff in the lounge so if you put a naughty tag or something on something in the lounge will it still show up on the tag cloud search?

Tags have to comply with the normal forum rules. See this post:

Yes.

BroncoBJ
06-15-2008, 04:43 PM
Yea, I noticed that post but I was confused if you meant just on the reg forum or not.
I have a problem comprehending :lol:

Makes sense though. :salute:

I guess that will probably be the hardest part about it for most people :lol:

dogfish
06-15-2008, 07:16 PM
Tags have to comply with the normal forum rules. See this post:

i'm thinking that threads in the lounge probably just shouldn't be tagged. . . .

Tned
06-15-2008, 07:25 PM
i'm thinking that threads in the lounge probably just shouldn't be tagged. . . .

You're probably right. I am going to check to see if it can be disabled for a given forum, but I don't think so.

LordTrychon
06-15-2008, 07:58 PM
You're probably right. I am going to check to see if it can be disabled for a given forum, but I don't think so.

If a forum is opt-in, it would make sense for the tags to be invisible to those who haven't opted...

If only the world made sense. :laugh:

OB
06-15-2008, 11:21 PM
off the tag subject - havent grasped it yet so therefore am ignoring it fot the time being

As far as personal comments on pics - i dont see any reason for it - if you like someones pic - just high five a post of that person and tell them - that way things dont get personal and stupid - something i would never do of course :whistle:

Tned
06-16-2008, 07:37 AM
off the tag subject - havent grasped it yet so therefore am ignoring it fot the time being

As far as personal comments on pics - i dont see any reason for it - if you like someones pic - just high five a post of that person and tell them - that way things dont get personal and stupid - something i would never do of course :whistle:

further off subject, here is your :wine : :wine: smilie

BroncoWave
06-22-2008, 10:11 AM
I am the tagging bandit.

Weren't you the one criticizing people for how they tagged the "questions for obama" thread? A little ironic I must say! :D

schnooks1
06-26-2008, 07:41 PM
I love the albums. I wish there was a way to hi/5 them!

I don't like the tags because I don't think they are necessary. This forum is set up so well it is very easy to find what you are looking for without them.

Just my opinion of course!!

I appreciate your hard work Tned and the fact that you are constantly trying to make everyone happy. You are A#1!!