PDA

View Full Version : Cutler's Greatest Obstacle On the Field: Wins

TXBRONC
06-13-2008, 05:45 PM
I know Jay is talented enough to be a great quarterback, so I hope we can put cast of players around him so that he reach his potential.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_9570009

Cutler on his latest obstacle: wins
By The Denver Post
Article Last Updated: 06/13/2008 01:35:28 AM MDT

Now that Jay Cutler has regained his weight and is again capable of firing passes at uncatchable velocity, he can resume dealing with the lone issue that dogged him before anyone learned he had contracted diabetes.

Winning.

For all his skills, Cutler hasn't had a winning season since his senior year in high school, when he led Heritage Hills to a 15-0 record and an Indiana state championship. Since then, he had four losing seasons at Vanderbilt — although 5-6 as a senior was considered an accomplishment for the perennial SEC doormat — and is 2-3 and 7-9 in his two seasons as the Broncos' quarterback.

Cutler knows that despite his impressive passing numbers through 21 NFL starts, he ultimately will be judged on the team's record.

"(The quarterback) and the head coach are the only two with a win-loss record, that's the only two positions you're going to see that," Cutler said Thursday after the Broncos' final offseason minicamp session. "Until I start winning ballgames around here, there's always going to be question marks."

The McKinley Diet.

If one player could embody the Broncos' shift in defensive philosophy this year, it would be defensive tackle Alvin McKinley.

Last season, in the beef-is-beautiful system directed by Broncos defensive boss Jim Bates, interior linemen had an unstated requirement of 300 pounds-plus. McKinley said he played much of the season at 310 pounds.

This year, McKinley checks in at 290.

"Last year, I went with beef because that was all the rage around here, and I bought into it," McKinley said. "But I didn't think I moved real good."

So McKinley made a New Year's resolution to lose weight. More precisely, it was to cut beef and bread from his diet. And no eating after 7 p.m. The 20-pound weight loss naturally followed.

His thinner frame is a better fit for this year's defense.

"We're doing more stunts this year," McKinley said. "Last year was more about taking on guys. It was all about absorbing or standing up the guy in front of you."

Nose job.

For their last minicamp session Thursday, the Broncos practiced without helmets — and it wound up hurting John Lynch as the veteran safety emerged from a pileup with a bloody nose. In a clear sign the 16-year pro isn't taking his starting spot for granted, Lynch stuffed large wads of tissue up his nostrils and returned a few snaps later. He said his nose may or may not be broken and he may or may not seek a definitive prognosis.

Footnotes.

Former Broncos middle linebacker Al Wilson will attend the Darrent Williams Day ceremonies tonight and Saturday in Fort Worth, Texas, the hometown of the late cornerback. . . . The Broncos signed seventh-round pick Josh Barrett, a safety from Arizona State, to a four-year contract with a signing bonus of $56,000. If he makes the 53-man roster, he'll receive the standard total of $295,000. Barrett is the first of the Broncos' nine draft picks to sign. ... Minicamp ended with Selvin Young as the starting tailback, Andre Hall as his backup and Michael Pittman running third string. . . . As part of its international player program, the NFL has assigned Manuel Padilla, a 25-year-old linebacker from Mexico, to the Broncos' practice squad.

Mike Klis, The Denver Post

haroldthebarrel
06-13-2008, 05:54 PM
if Cutler manages to play like he did last year the wins will come. If he will improve upon his game even more wins will come. Qbs are too much valued through their wins. Prestation is what counts... The wins come thereafter. And if he has good teammates the wins really make a difference. I am so glad we got Cutler and I am quite certain that in the near future we will be a really competitive contender.
People say Shanahan needed Elway. Some other say Elway needed Shanahan. I say that a good qb and a good head coach are a prime example of a system that cannot be separatated. They both make eachother better!

TXBRONC
06-13-2008, 06:13 PM
if Cutler manages to play like he did last year the wins will come. If he will improve upon his game even more wins will come. Qbs are too much valued through their wins. Prestation is what counts... The wins come thereafter. And if he has good teammates the wins really make a difference. I am so glad we got Cutler and I am quite certain that in the near future we will be a really competitive contender.
People say Shanahan needed Elway. Some other say Elway needed Shanahan. I say that a good qb and a good head coach are a prime example of a system that cannot be separatated. They both make eachother better!

The only other thing is that Jay has to have a reasonably healthy supporting cast just as Elway did even in the years that team lost the Super Bowl.

Fan in Exile
06-14-2008, 07:40 AM
John Lynch kicks ass