PDA

View Full Version : I Know Another "Fresh Start" Story

TXBRONC
06-13-2008, 05:30 PM
I know its another "fresh start" story about a receiver coming to Denver in an attempt to revitalize his career. However, it's still an interesting article.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/jun/12/colbert-gets-fresh-start-with-broncos/

Broncos' Colbert eager to make the most of his fresh start
By Jeff Legwold, Rocky Mountain News
Thursday, June 12, 2008

An NFL spring is always about fresh starts and changes in the scenery.

For Broncos receiver Keary Colbert, it's about a new jersey, a new city, a new team and new possibilities. About replacing disappointment with what he believes will come in the days and months ahead.

"That's how life is sometimes," Colbert said Thursday. "You've got to take each lesson in football and apply it to life. Everything is not always going to go the way you plan it to go or want it go, but what do you do?

"How do you respond? How do you come back? How do you fight?"

And when the Broncos surveyed what free agency had to offer in March, when they made their list and checked it innumerable times, Colbert ended up being the first to get the check mark next to his name.

Despite struggling to live up to what the Carolina Panthers had expected for much of his four seasons there, Colbert was the first player from elsewhere the Broncos signed on the dotted line.

"Regardless if I was the first guy or the last guy they signed, everybody's responsibility is the same," Colbert said.

"You're supposed to come in here and make plays, compete and help the team get better. But I was ready to get to a new place, a new opportunity. I had a good time in Carolina, but my time was up. I was anxious and excited to move on."

"I just go by what I see," Broncos coach Mike Shanahan said. "(Colbert) plays hard, I liked him coming out (of the University of Southern California in the 2004 draft), and I think we've shown over the years a guy can be productive in a new place."

And when it's pointed out the Broncos raised a few eyebrows around the league when they signed Colbert to a three-year, $7.2 million deal, even though he did not make a touchdown catch the past two seasons, Shanahan usually, and quickly, points out Ed McCaffrey had been released and Rod Smith was an undrafted player before they piled up 1,000-yard seasons in the Broncos offense.

"That's what you look at," Shanahan said. "What a guy can do in your offense, what kind of offense he was in. . . . You look at the whole situation, then you make your decisions."

Colbert, who turned 26 on May 21, certainly has age and potential still on his side. The former second-round pick also left USC as the school's all-time receptions leader, and when he caught 47 passes for 754 yards and five touchdowns as a rookie, many believed milestone seasons wouldn't be far behind.

But Colbert never reached that level again with the Panthers as he dealt with injuries and bounced in and out of the Panthers' starting lineup.

In the past three seasons, he totaled only 62 receptions for 670 yards and two touchdowns.

"It just didn't happen there, but that doesn't mean it will never happen," Colbert said. "It just means I have to continue to work, to get better, to compete. That stuff will come.

"And if it doesn't come, then maybe God has another plan. Sometimes those personal goals, the numbers, can be a little overrated in the big scheme of things because, really, everybody's goal should be to go to a Super Bowl and win. And that's always my goal - that hasn't changed."

Because of Brandon Marshall's right forearm injury, Colbert has spent much of his on-field work the past month with Darrell Jackson as the top two receivers in the Broncos' starting offense.

Thursday, Colbert caught a touchdown pass in team drills, and he has looked comfortable catching the ball the past two weeks.

"It's about winning," Colbert said. "I was careful about where I wanted to sign because you want to go to a good place where you can contribute to something. This is the place for me; I'm excited about what could happen."

NEW DT TAKING IT SLOW

Defensive tackle Dewayne Robertson, who has had knee problems in his career, was held out of the past two days of practice as a precaution, coach Mike Shanahan said Thursday.

"He doesn't have an issue; more prevention than anything else," Shanahan said. "Wanted him to get a little work but didn't want to overdo him. He hasn't been able to work out the way we'd like to put him through a whole camp."

Shanahan said Robertson is expected to go through conditioning workouts when the team returns after a week off and is expected to be ready for training camp.

FIRST PICK IN FOLD

The Broncos signed the first of their draft picks, safety Josh Barrett.

Barrett, the 220th player drafted overall, will be paid $295,000 in the upcoming season on a three-year deal.

LYNCH 'WOBBLY' AFTER FIRST HIT

Safety John Lynch briefly left the workout after taking a hit on the bridge of his nose. He later returned.

"I thought it was broken, but it isn't. I was just a little wobbly for a little bit," he said.

MARSHALL PROGRESSING

Receiver Brandon Marshall (right forearm) didn't practice but caught a few passes with both hands during warm-ups.

Shanahan said Marshall will be cleared June 22 to catch while running pass routes and will be ready to participate fully in training camp.