PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Open 2008

MOtorboat
06-13-2008, 03:49 PM
Knocked off early to watch all of Tiger/Phil/Adam...

Tiger starts off with a bogie, Phil should make par and Adam is gonna make birdie, if he doesn't F this up.

Anyone else watching?

MOtorboat
06-14-2008, 05:05 PM
Clearly, I was the only one watching yesterday...anyone watching today/tonight?

Slick
06-14-2008, 05:07 PM
I've got it on. I'm glad you bumped this thread I was looking for it. How's Tiger doing today? I just turned it on.

MOtorboat
06-14-2008, 05:08 PM
I've got it on. I'm glad you bumped this thread I was looking for it. How's Tiger doing today? I just turned it on.

He just parred the first.

Slick
06-14-2008, 05:12 PM
He just parred the first.

Nice! I'm watching golf and getting in a little Spanish lesson as well. It's funny. A birdie is a birdie, a par is a par, a bogey is a bogey. An eagle is una aguila.

MOtorboat
06-14-2008, 05:16 PM
Nice! I'm watching golf and getting in a little Spanish lesson as well. It's funny. A birdie is a birdie, a par is a par, a bogey is a bogey. An eagle is una aguila.

There's no word for birdie? I understand bogey and par, but you'd think they'd use something for bird, for birdie.

Rocco is playing well...I think I'm rooting for Mr. Mediate.

Phil had a tin cup moment on No. 13...got a 9. He was down in a swell in front of the green, part of the fairway, hit a lob shot that came back to his feet, did it again, did it again, got it up there and two putted.

Slick
06-14-2008, 05:19 PM
There's no word for birdie? I understand bogey and par, but you'd think they'd use something for bird, for birdie.

Rocco is playing well...I think I'm rooting for Mr. Mediate.

Phil had a tin cup moment on No. 13...got a 9. He was down in a swell in front of the green, part of the fairway, hit a lob shot that came back to his feet, did it again, did it again, got it up there and two putted.

LMAO at tin cup moment. I wouldn't mind seeing Rocco win either. He's been here before only to let it slip away.

Pajaro means bird so I'm guessing pajarito would be little bird but they still say birdie.

MOtorboat
06-14-2008, 05:21 PM
Karlsson just went into the hazard behind No. 3, but Tiger went in the bunker. Karlsson was one-under after two, but I think that's gonna change.

Tned
06-14-2008, 05:54 PM
Knocked off early to watch all of Tiger/Phil/Adam...

Tiger starts off with a bogie, Phil should make par and Adam is gonna make birdie, if he doesn't F this up.

Anyone else watching?

I am watching it, but had to stop to do some things, so I am only through two holes on Tiger's group. Will fast forward through commercials and stuff and try and catch up to live.

MOtorboat
06-14-2008, 06:08 PM
I am watching it, but had to stop to do some things, so I am only through two holes on Tiger's group. Will fast forward through commercials and stuff and try and catch up to live.

Rocco, Rocco, Rocco!

MOtorboat
06-14-2008, 06:41 PM
LOL...they had Hunter Mahan in the booth watching some of the puts and shots on his round, and Costas stopped talking when they were showing the first highlight, you know where the golfer is supposed to tell the audience about the shot, and Hunter was just watching the monitor. About the time the ball dropped in the hole, Costas said, "this is where you talk." It was funny, but Mahan clearly wasn't used to doing that.

I believe he's the only golfer to turn in a round under par today.

Tned
06-14-2008, 07:54 PM
Wow, just caught up to live on the DVR and watched the Tiger's Eagle putt. That was an insane putt to make.

MOtorboat
06-14-2008, 09:14 PM
That might be Tiger's greatest round ever....considering the injured knee. Unreal. That Eagle on the final was just remarkable.

Tned
06-14-2008, 09:18 PM
That might be Tiger's greatest round ever....considering the injured knee. Unreal. That Eagle on the final was just remarkable.

Yep. That is the second long eagle putt (the last eagle was longer). It was funny, the commentator said something like, "look how far left he's looking" like Tiger was about to screw up big time, and then it just starts tracking towards the hole.

It will be interesting if his knee responds tomorrow. I don't think there is any way he can play all day tomorrow the way he has the last 5 or 6 holes.

MOtorboat
06-14-2008, 09:19 PM
Yep. That is the second long eagle putt (the last eagle was longer). It was funny, the commentator said something like, "look how far left he's looking" like Tiger was about to screw up big time, and then it just starts tracking towards the hole.

It will be interesting if his knee responds tomorrow. I don't think there is any way he can play all day tomorrow the way he has the last 5 or 6 holes.

Yeah, Johnny Miller had no clue where he was reading that...but I'm guessing most putts today were from the right-hand side of the green today, and he didn't realize how much it broke. The last few groups are trying to win this thing, so they are taking dead aim, whereas, earlier in the day they were just aiming to hit the green.

BroncoWave
06-14-2008, 09:45 PM

Agreed. I've never seen more jaw-dropping moments in a round of golf than I saw in that one today.

MOtorboat
06-14-2008, 10:03 PM
Agreed. I've never seen more jaw-dropping moments in a round of golf than I saw in that one today.

He's completely dominated, but he has NEVER done what he did today. Simply because golfers just don't play hurt. But he did, and it was unreal.

The only thing that rivaled this round, imo, was his week-long performance at the British Open last year...I lied the other day, I cried when he broke down on 18 after winning the British, after his father died.

BroncoWave
06-14-2008, 10:24 PM
He's completely dominated, but he has NEVER done what he did today. Simply because golfers just don't play hurt. But he did, and it was unreal.

The only thing that rivaled this round, imo, was his week-long performance at the British Open last year...I lied the other day, I cried when he broke down on 18 after winning the British, after his father died.

Yeah, last year's British was awesome too! I'm just thankful that I'm alive to see Tiger Woods in his prime because I don't know if we'll ever see another golfer quite like him.

I just hope Woods has enough gas left in the tank to finish this thing off tomorrow. It'll be dramatic to say the least.

broncosfanscott
06-15-2008, 01:48 AM
Clearly, I was the only one watching yesterday...anyone watching today/tonight?

I watched a lot of the first two rounds and was fortunate to be able to go to the opening round. I have never been to a golf tournament and trying to get a good spot to watch Tiger is totally insane.

Tiger is just simply amazing. I mean he is playing outstanding golf for just coming off knee surgery. The shots he made today were jsut sick. If he wins this tomorrow this just might be the best win I have seen him get....should make for some good golf tomorrow.

NightTrainLayne
06-15-2008, 02:22 AM
What a great day of golf. As always the US Open makes for some great shots, and some terrible screw-ups.

Tiger just amazes me more every time I see him play. I hope that he's able to get some treatment for his knee and win this thing tomorrow. It would be sad if he lost this one now due to his knee.

Watchthemiddle
06-15-2008, 02:52 AM
**Devil's Advocate**

Is Tiger really injured, or is he pulling a Paul Pierce? He sure didn't look like he was in much pain on the 13th hoping around on his knee to the left no less....

** Devil's advocate over**

He played amazing today. Re-hab tonight and runaway with it tomorrow.

LordTrychon
06-15-2008, 04:54 AM
**Devil's Advocate**

Is Tiger really injured, or is he pulling a Paul Pierce? He sure didn't look like he was in much pain on the 13th hoping around on his knee to the left no less....

** Devil's advocate over**

He played amazing today. Re-hab tonight and runaway with it tomorrow.

I would argue that it was one of his less graceful celebrations and I think he was definately making a concerted effort not to do too much... Seemed awkward overall.

Great stuff though.

I really hope his knee isn't an issue tomorrow... but it will be.

LordTrychon
06-15-2008, 04:37 PM
Anyone else wonder if Tiger would be able to finish when he came up limp on the Second hole? :shocked:

Tned
06-15-2008, 04:41 PM
Anyone else wonder if Tiger would be able to finish when he came up limp on the Second hole? :shocked:

I'm guessing it comes down to what the docs have told him about pain vs. permanent damage. If it is just a pain thing, my guess is he guts it out, like on the last hole dropping down for extra club. If it gets bad enough, he could start making little punch shots, sort of like Michael Chang serving underhand to win the French open.

MOtorboat
06-15-2008, 04:53 PM

Oh, I definitely thought the same thing.

I'm guessing it comes down to what the docs have told him about pain vs. permanent damage. If it is just a pain thing, my guess is he guts it out, like on the last hole dropping down for extra club. If it gets bad enough, he could start making little punch shots, sort of like Michael Chang serving underhand to win the French open.

Exactly. Miller kept saying yesterday that the cut shot would take a lot of pressure off that knee. He's got to quit swinging so hard, and go up a club, or something, because I just don't think he can keep it going.

This could be pretty dramatic, but man, I HATE the Monday 18-hole playoff...you lose most of your audience (including me). It just sucks.

Go to the four-hole playoff like at the British.

Tned
06-15-2008, 04:57 PM
Oh, I definitely thought the same thing.

Exactly. Miller kept saying yesterday that the cut shot would take a lot of pressure off that knee. He's got to quit swinging so hard, and go up a club, or something, because I just don't think he can keep it going.

This could be pretty dramatic, but man, I HATE the Monday 18-hole playoff...you lose most of your audience (including me). It just sucks.

Go to the four-hole playoff like at the British.

I like the concept of the 18 hole playoff, but don't like it as a fan trying to watch it.

BroncoWave
06-15-2008, 05:03 PM
As crappy as Tiger has started and only being 1 shot out, I think he's going to win this thing. He has finished strong the last 2 days and I think he will do it again today. Go Tiger!

BroncoWave
06-15-2008, 05:52 PM
Tiger's making his move!

Tned
06-15-2008, 06:11 PM
Westwood and mediate aren't exactly folding, so it should be a good finish.

LordTrychon
06-15-2008, 06:33 PM
Change on the leaderboard.

Odds of Mediate not folding now?

Tned
06-15-2008, 06:37 PM
Change on the leaderboard.

Odds of Mediate not folding now?

Yesterday and today, Mediate just seems to be having a good time. Should be ineresting.

LordTrychon
06-15-2008, 07:57 PM
O

M

G

Seriously.

I think I'm coming down with a 24 hour virus.

Tned
06-15-2008, 07:59 PM
Sucks, I won't get to watch it. I'll DVR it, but it won't be the same. Guess I will half watch it on the slingbox from work tomorrow.

BroncoWave
06-15-2008, 08:01 PM
Unbelievable. I would have a job interview tomorrow morning. Oh well, I will definitely be TiVo-ing it.

LordTrychon
06-15-2008, 08:02 PM
Sucks, I won't get to watch it. I'll DVR it, but it won't be the same. Guess I will half watch it on the slingbox from work tomorrow.

Depending on the tee time, I should be able to watch a fair amount.

Hopefully it will be wrapped up one way or the other... If Tiger comes out like he did this morning, he'll be glad he has a full 18 holes. I'm thinking there's a good chance it will be obviously swinging one way or the other pretty early on.

I'd be happy to see either of the two with a major... but I'm always pulling for the Tiger.

MOtorboat
06-15-2008, 08:04 PM
Noon eastern, on ESPN, 2 p.m. it switches to NBC

BeefStew25
06-15-2008, 08:04 PM
I think I am going to have an office day tomorrow. Lots of calls to make between noon and 4 I think.

LordTrychon
06-15-2008, 08:08 PM
I think I am going to have an office day tomorrow. Lots of calls to make between noon and 4 I think.

You're not listening. Flu's the way to go...

BeefStew25
06-15-2008, 08:11 PM
You're not listening. Flu's the way to go...

I have a home office anyway. I won't waste a sick day.

BroncoWave
06-15-2008, 08:15 PM
Noon eastern, on ESPN, 2 p.m. it switches to NBC

Ok, it's 11 AM my time and I'll have to leave for my interview around 2:45. Hopefully that'll be enough time to see all of it.

LordTrychon
06-15-2008, 08:20 PM
I have a home office anyway. I won't waste a sick day.

Oh.

I need to figure out how to pull that off. :tsk:

Slick
06-15-2008, 08:22 PM
Was there any doubt he'd make that putt?

I should be able to check it out tomorrow. It's so easy to root for Tiger but I'll be happy either way.

NightTrainLayne
06-15-2008, 11:55 PM
What an amazing round of golf by all. Tiger needs to pull in the reigns a little bit on the first few holes tomorrow so that he doesn't have such a large hole to dig out of. Past that, he should be able to lock it up.

MOtorboat
06-15-2008, 11:56 PM
What an amazing round of golf by all. Tiger needs to pull in the reigns a little bit on the first few holes tomorrow so that he doesn't have such a large hole to dig out of. Past that, he should be able to lock it up.

I love Rocco, but I really don't think he can keep it up for 18 holes looking eye to eye with Tiger, injury or not.

MOtorboat
06-15-2008, 11:58 PM
Is Tiger amazing, or what?

Him and Federer....everytime I watch them, I have nothing to say but, "Damn."

And I love how people pull for Tiger. He's such a good guy, and the crowd is going more nuts than he is. I love it.

My best friend was an assistant golf pro for a while out of college, a really good golfer and he just idolizes Tiger. He called me right after the put went in, and he was ecstatic.

It's just amazing to me how people love this guy, of course, then again, I guess it's not that amazing, he's a good dude, he works hard and he's a champion.

/rant

broncosfanscott
06-16-2008, 12:26 AM
I love Rocco, but I really don't think he can keep it up for 18 holes looking eye to eye with Tiger, injury or not.

My sentiments exactly. Sudden death yeah, but 18 holes against the best golfer in the world......we'll see. Totally going to get this on DVR.

I was pulling for him since he has never won a major. I thought he might have it when the two guys hit the ball in the sand, yet Tiger did what he always does and comes up with a big shot at the right time.

Tned
06-16-2008, 07:17 AM
My sentiments exactly. Sudden death yeah, but 18 holes against the best golfer in the world......we'll see. Totally going to get this on DVR.

I was pulling for him since he has never won a major. I thought he might have it when the two guys hit the ball in the sand, yet Tiger did what he always does and comes up with a big shot at the right time.

Yea, just listening to him in the post round interviews (before and after the putt went in), it was clear that Rocco doesn't put himself at the same level of Tiger and made comments to that effect. On the one hand he seems happy, go lucky, and if he can keep the, "it's a blast just being in this position, don't over think it" AND Tiger struggles early, who knows. On the other hand, if Tiger doesn't throw up a double bogey on the first hole or otherwise struggle early, I think Rocco will have a hard time winning.

MOtorboat
06-16-2008, 08:11 AM
This guy's story is just so great:

"It was the most amazing day of golf I've ever experienced," said Mediate after his even-par 71 at Torrey Pines looked good enough to win the 108th U.S. Open, until Woods tied him with a birdie on the 18th hole. "[Monday] is going to be pretty amazing, too, but today was absolutely remarkable. I've never been there like that before. And I just found out what it's all about."

The guy is just happy to be there, and he's having the time of his life.

Go Rocco!

(I'm not rooting against Tiger by any means, but this would be a great story.)

BeefStew25
06-16-2008, 08:15 AM
Rocco is a pain in the ass. Go Tiger.

NightTrainLayne
06-16-2008, 09:15 AM
Rocco is a pain in the ass. Go Tiger.

Will you keep us updated from home Beef?

MOtorboat
06-16-2008, 09:21 AM
I'm trying to figure out if I'm gonna go with a media blackout today and watch it tonight...

NightTrainLayne
06-16-2008, 09:26 AM
I'm trying to figure out if I'm gonna go with a media blackout today and watch it tonight...

I know. I had that same thought.

But, if Beef can keep us updated I could probably time my lunch to go home and watch the last few holes over lunch. . .or if somebody's up by 5 strokes I'll know it's not worth worrying about it.

Rex
06-16-2008, 09:32 AM
i will be watching

MOtorboat
06-16-2008, 09:35 AM
I know. I had that same thought.

But, if Beef can keep us updated I could probably time my lunch to go home and watch the last few holes over lunch. . .or if somebody's up by 5 strokes I'll know it's not worth worrying about it.

I'm thinking ESPN 360....I don't think my Boss cares, as long as I keep the sound down.

BeefStew25
06-16-2008, 09:52 AM
I can provide updates. I love you guys.

NightTrainLayne
06-16-2008, 10:05 AM
i Can Provide Updates. I Love You Guys.

:schwing!!:

BeefStew25
06-16-2008, 10:06 AM
Can I also give play by play of my 12:45 movement?

Tned
06-16-2008, 10:07 AM
I think it will be live on usopen.com. I have a slingbox, so I will watch it on that.

Thnikkaman
06-16-2008, 10:28 AM
I am at a company that blocks all sports, so the updates will be appreciated.

BeefStew25
06-16-2008, 10:34 AM
Okay. I will help all of you guys out.

Right now Tiger is taking a dump, and Rocco is polishing his peace sign belt buckle.

BroncoWave
06-16-2008, 10:35 AM
I'll be watching live. Go Tiger!

BTW, for your first update, Rocco is sporting a red shirt with a black vest. Sound familiar? :D

NightTrainLayne
06-16-2008, 10:38 AM
I am at a company that blocks all sports, so the updates will be appreciated.

Me too.

BeefStew25
06-16-2008, 10:41 AM
Me too.

I worked for one of your associates in college, and it drove me freakin bonkers.

NightTrainLayne
06-16-2008, 10:46 AM
I worked for one of your associates in college, and it drove me freakin bonkers.

Kinda like I drive you bonkers now, or worse?

MOtorboat
06-16-2008, 10:48 AM
Who gets to be Roger Maltby?

BeefStew25
06-16-2008, 10:49 AM
Kinda like I drive you bonkers now, or worse?

No, I actually am fine with you most of the time. I just pretend you are Nick Cage in The Rock and my anger goes away.

Rex
06-16-2008, 10:56 AM
Me too.

We have a 36 in. TV in the gym. Sucks to be a high powered elitist insurance agent and have no access to TV.

NightTrainLayne
06-16-2008, 10:58 AM
We have a 36 in. TV in the gym. Sucks to be a high powered elitist insurance agent and have no access to TV.

I used to have a TV in my office, but I had too many customers make comments similar to yours about being a high-powered elitist insurance agent with a tv in the office.

It's a Catch-22.

BeefStew25
06-16-2008, 10:59 AM
That is CSWIL's way of saying good morning.

BroncoWave
06-16-2008, 11:05 AM
Tiger finally hit the damn fairway on hole #1.

BeefStew25
06-16-2008, 11:08 AM
Rocco in the bunker on his approach, Tiger (154 yards out) puts it about 18 feet below the hole on the green.

LordTrychon
06-16-2008, 11:13 AM
T.J. Whosyourmamma.

Put it on the board.

Rex
06-16-2008, 11:14 AM
rocco bogey

BroncoWave
06-16-2008, 11:22 AM
It doesn't look like Rocco has much left. This looks like it could be a rough day for him.

BeefStew25
06-16-2008, 11:24 AM
Tiger has some really long teeth.

Rex
06-16-2008, 11:27 AM
both par on 2

NightTrainLayne
Tiger has some really long teeth.

Can you give us a run-down on his outfit? Pants, fit, etc.?

Rex
Can you give us a run-down on his outfit? Pants, fit, etc.?

if you dont know, then you dont watch golf.

BeefStew25
06-16-2008, 11:28 AM
NTL, Tiger is wearing white pants and a robin's egg blue shirt.

BeefStew25
06-16-2008, 11:30 AM
Roco just rolled on past the hole on 3. Almost went in.

LordTrychon
06-16-2008, 11:31 AM
That seriously looked like it was going to be an Ace for Rocco! :eek:

Tiger's in the bunker, buried. Looks like Rocco will regain his stroke on this hole

BroncoWave
06-16-2008, 11:36 AM
And the tide turns. Rocco leads by 1 after 3.

Rex
06-16-2008, 11:43 AM
And the tide turns. Rocco leads by 1 after 3.

they are tied.

Thnikkaman
06-16-2008, 11:45 AM
Quick poll, who here is for Tiger and who is for Rocco? I'm on the fence here. On one hand, it would be awesome to see Tiger take it like he was a Right Winger winning the stanly cup on a broken foot, on the other hand it would be just as cool to see a virtual unknown take down golf's version of the Intimidator.

Kapaibro
06-16-2008, 11:47 AM
Tiger for me

NightTrainLayne
06-16-2008, 11:47 AM
Tiger, but I'm not rooting against Mediate.

Rex
06-16-2008, 11:48 AM
Tiger.

I enjoy a dominator like Tiger. I wish I was as good at SOMETHING in my life as he is at golf. His work ethic and competitiveness is something to be admired.

BroncoWave
they are tied.

No they aren't. Rocco's up by 1.

LordTrychon
they are tied.

Um, Tiger was up by one, and then hit a bogey when Rocco rolled in a birdie. Rocco leads. :goofy:

Edit: Both par the 4th.

Quick poll, who here is for Tiger and who is for Rocco? I'm on the fense here. On one hand, it would be awesome to see Tiger take it like he was a Right Winger winning the stanly cup on a broken foot, on the other hand it would be just as cool to see a virtual unknown take down golf's version of the Intimidator.

I'm all about Tiger any time he's on the board... but I would be happy for Rocco if he were to pull of the upset.

BroncoWave
06-16-2008, 11:49 AM
Tiger.

I enjoy a dominator like Tiger. I wish I was as good at SOMETHING in my life as he is at golf. His work ethic and competitiveness is something to be admired.

Same here. I'm pulling for Tiger.

MOtorboat
06-16-2008, 11:50 AM
Tiger.

You do own NTL.

So you've got that going for you.

LordTrychon
06-16-2008, 11:51 AM
Rocco's in the deep rough on 5. He hasn't had to hit out of much beyond fairway this week... needs to be more careful.

They flashed real quick the difference between the two players on the next (5?) holes...

Woods -6
Mediate +2

I may be off a little, but you get the point.

Tiger just hit fairway. This hole could be another big swing.

Rex
06-16-2008, 11:51 AM
Um, Tiger was up by one, and then hit a bogey when Rocco rolled in a birdie. Rocco leads. :goofy:

Edit: Both par the 4th.

I'm all about Tiger any time he's on the board... but I would be happy for Rocco if he were to pull of the upset.

I thought Tiger made the par putt.....my mistake.

LordTrychon
06-16-2008, 11:53 AM
You do own NTL.

So you've got that going for you.

Then the Dalai Lama said to me... 'Gunga Galunga.'

BroncoWave
06-16-2008, 11:57 AM
Wow, Rocco hit the cart path twice. He's gonna have a nasty # on this hole.

Rex
06-16-2008, 11:57 AM
Rocco just screwed the pooch. Hit one wide and it hit the cart path.

BroncoWave
06-16-2008, 12:00 PM
Turned out not to be as bad as it looked. He's in a good position to save par.

LordTrychon
06-16-2008, 12:15 PM
Turned out not to be as bad as it looked. He's in a good position to save par.

Proves what I've always said. Better to hit the cart path twice than just once. :salute:

:laugh:

Both players at +1... Rocco's over the green just past the fringe on 6... Tiger's got about 5 feet for birdie.

Rex
06-16-2008, 12:19 PM
birdie, tiger

LordTrychon
06-16-2008, 12:20 PM
birdie, tiger

Yep, and Rocco makes par after a great chip and read of the green.

Tiger E
Rocco +1

LordTrychon
06-16-2008, 12:28 PM
Rocco's approach on 6 is 25 feet to the right of the hole... Tiger draws his to about 6 ft... and he'll get a decent read from Rocco's putt.

Edit: Rocco's Birdie attempt is about 4 in short... but it was a good read and nearly perfectly straight.

It's also worth noting that Tiger seems to be perfectly comfortable today... probably medicated before coming out (the announcers keep talking about it so I thought I'd bring it up.)

Tiger just made his birdie.

Buff
06-16-2008, 12:29 PM
Special to FOXSports.com

Updated: June 16, 2008, 11:06 AM EST

You can't root against Rocco Mediate. But you will.
You can't root against a man who did not play golf seriously until college; who is 45-years-old and has never won a major; and who admitted Sunday evening that he didn't know how he would handle the final-round pressure. But you will.

You can't root against Rocco Mediate, because he can't root against anybody else. He told NBC Sunday night that a) he knew Tiger Woods would make his putt to force a U.S. Open playoff and b) he wasn't hoping Tiger would miss, because it isn't in him to do that. He said he can't root against somebody, and he wasn't kidding. Mediate is one of the most popular players on tour for a reason: He seems to like everybody.

You can't root against a guy like that. But you will.

And why?

Because you want to see Tiger Woods win his 14th major championship.

Amazing. Americans got tired of the Spurs. They got tired of the late '90s Yankees. Right about now, the whole country is tired of anybody who ever played sports in Boston. But except for a few Phil Mickelson fans, and some die-hard golf nuts who resent the people who only care about Tiger, everybody roots for Tiger Woods.

OK, fine. You love Tiger. He's mesmerizing. I get it. I'm mesmerized, too. But please take a moment and look at the other side of this.

I've had the privilege of following Tiger from inside the ropes at least a dozen times, and let me tell you: The man would rather putt with his lob wedge than acknowledge the paying customers. Tiger doesn't talk to the people, rarely waves to them, almost never looks in their eyes. In a way, this makes him more alluring — when you see him live, you can almost feel the distance between him and everybody else who has ever played.

But Rocco is different. As he told reporters at the Open, "I probably talk too much. I enjoy talking and I just go over and — especially, like, if I'm sitting there waiting a few times, I go over and say hi or what's up or make fun of somebody or they make fun of me. Whatever. It's fun."

Rooting for Tiger is like sitting down at a Vegas poker table and cheering for the house. Rocco? He has actually entered the World Series of Poker, and according to Golf Magazine, he traded golf lessons for poker lessons from World Series champ Greg (Fossilman) Raymer.

Rocco was born 13 years before Tiger, yet Tiger has been playing for just as long. Rocco played baseball as a kid and didn't pick up golf until high school.

NBC announcers and sportswriters are fighting over the thesaurus as they try to describe Tiger's performance after knee surgery. ("Courageous! Indomitable! Valiant! Wait, did I use those already?") And what Tiger has done is remarkable, and I love how he hasn't complained about it a bit.

But look at what Rocco has been through. He has struggled with severe back pain since Tiger was in high school. He was the first guy on tour to use a long putter because bending over a short one was too painful.

In 2006, Rocco was tied for the lead at the Masters — on Sunday, on the ninth hole — when his back flared up. It was so severe that he considered withdrawing. Instead he kept playing, carded a 10 at the famous par-3 12th and disappeared from contention. Rocco played 2007 on a minor medical exemption.

When Tiger issues a brief statement on his website, it is immediately international news. If you go to Rocco's website, you find his manager's phone number and a request that you "please allow 24 hours for response" to requests for press releases.

Tiger was the best young golfer ever. Rocco is trying to become the oldest U.S. Open champ in history. Very, very few of us are phenoms at anything, but if we're lucky, we'll all try to fight off the aging process. So you tell me: Can you relate more to Tiger or Rocco?

Tiger is trying to become the best player ever. Rocco is trying to become one of the longest shots ever to win the U.S. Open. Nobody ranked outside of the world's Top 100 has ever won, and Rocco is ranked 157.

I have great admiration for Tiger Woods. But Rocco Mediate winning the U.S. Open would be one of the best sports stories of the year.

So you know what?

I'm rooting for Rocco.

Somebody has to.

Screw Tiger... Go Rocco.

LordTrychon
06-16-2008, 12:36 PM
Tiger over the par 3 green into the bunker...

Rocco leaves his short of the green.

LordTrychon
06-16-2008, 12:41 PM
Screw Tiger... Go Rocco.

I love the fact that the article tries to vilify Tiger for the very thing that makes him the best competitor ever... his mental game.

He turns it into 'refuses to acknowledge paying customers'.

Tiger holds camps for kids and is a great philanthropist. It's not that he doesn't care, it's that he's doing what he does best. At least the article gave him props for not complaining about his knee, although it made fun of the press for being impressed by his performance.

Tiger's sand shot went over the green right by Rocco's ball, and they both chipped to about the same spot 4 ft from the hole. If Rocco doesn't screw up, he should gain back the stroke.

LordTrychon
06-16-2008, 12:47 PM
Par 5.

Both players in the fairway... Tiger took his first hard swing of the day and followed it with his first grimace of the day.

Trying to take advantage of his length advantage on the long holes. No surprise there.

Edit: Second shot, Rocco's got 90-100 yds left to the hole out of the right rough. Tiger's in the sand to the left of the green.

Rocco approach is right over the pin, rolls about 12 ft past.

Tiger's bunker shot comes out low and gets trapped in the rough. Chips it to 3-4 feet. Switching to NBC on the hour.

Edit: Must've missed Rocco's putt but he missed it. Then missed his par putt. Tiger was automatic from his spot.

Tiger E
Rocco +1

LordTrychon
06-16-2008, 01:11 PM
Rocco's approach is just short of the green...

Tiger's ball was up against the rough... hit it about 6 ft past the hole, then accidently gave it more spin than the the media covering Obama (Sorry BTB, had to)... and rolled just into the fringe.

Rocco chunks his chip and run shot and leaves it well short of the pin.

Rex
06-16-2008, 01:12 PM
Tiger is giving him every shot to stay in this.

Rex
06-16-2008, 01:14 PM
3 shot lead. after 10

LordTrychon
06-16-2008, 01:14 PM
Tiger is giving him every shot to stay in this.

Normally I would agree, but Tiger just went up by three since Rocco's not taking the shots Tiger's giving him. How's that for a circular statement?

Three up?

I say again... TJ whosyourmamma... put it on the board.

LordTrychon
06-16-2008, 01:19 PM
Tiger in the sand, Rocco about 15 ft past the hole.

Small advantage to Rocco... but I haven't seen him make a putt that long all tournament.

Edits: Tiger's bunker shot rolls about 8 ft past the hole, couldn't get any backspin out of the sand.

Rocco rolls just right and 3 inches past the hole.

Tiger just misses his par putt, and Rocco gets one back.

BeefStew25
06-16-2008, 01:21 PM
Rocco to two feet, gets the par.

Rex
06-16-2008, 01:25 PM
It would be over if Tiger would put the driver away.

BeefStew25
06-16-2008, 01:28 PM
Where did Rocco's belt buckle go?

BeefStew25
06-16-2008, 01:28 PM
Wow. Rocco stuck one pretty tight.

BeefStew25
06-16-2008, 01:29 PM
So Rocco should gain another shot here.

BroncoWave
06-16-2008, 01:30 PM
It would be over if Tiger would put the driver away.

Seriously. He is terrible with the driver but he's too stubborn not to use it.

Kapaibro
06-16-2008, 01:34 PM
Steve Williams probably wants to wrap the driver round Tiger's neck

and yay for internet TV!!

LordTrychon
06-16-2008, 01:36 PM
Seriously. He is terrible with the driver but he's too stubborn not to use it.

The driver is the best barometer of how well he's playing as a whole.

He puts it away at times, often when he has the large lead, or if his gameplan fits it (See Royal Liverpool). When he feels that driver is part of the gameplan to win, he's going to hit driver.

Interesting stat they just showed for those who aren't watching... Tiger's only hit 4 of 12 greens in regulation, but has 5 fewer putts than Rocco. That's the long story short of the day.

Rex
06-16-2008, 01:36 PM
Steve Williams probably wants to wrap the driver round Tiger's neck

and yay for internet TV!!

Agreed. But Steve should get down on his knees and thank the Lord for Tiger Woods everyday.:D

turftoad
06-16-2008, 01:39 PM
I can't believe Tiger hasn't put this thing out of reach yet.

LordTrychon
06-16-2008, 01:40 PM
I'd also like to point out to those who think Tiger should put away the driver...

Tiger gave up three shots by hitting bunkers on 3 par 3s. What does that have to do with the driver?

BroncoWave
06-16-2008, 01:42 PM
I'd also like to point out to those who think Tiger should put away the driver...

Tiger gave up three shots by hitting bunkers on 3 par 3s. What does that have to do with the driver?

He just missed another fairway with the driver. :D

Kapaibro
06-16-2008, 01:43 PM
Agreed. But Steve should get down on his knees and thank the Lord for Tiger Woods everyday.:D

He probably does. But then Tiger probably does the same for Steve.

Tiger often says that Steve is one of the reasons he plays so well.

LordTrychon
06-16-2008, 01:44 PM
He just missed another fairway with the driver. :D

It was a par 5... Did you really expect him to take it easy?

Tiger's gonna play his game. Would you ask Plummer to stay in the pocket and hit his targets? NO. Play your game.

;)

BroncoWave
06-16-2008, 01:45 PM
It was a par 5... Did you really expect him to take it easy?

Tiger's gonna play his game. Would you ask Plummer to stay in the pocket and hit his targets? NO. Play your game.

;)

I know, I was just screwin with ya on that post! :D

LordTrychon
06-16-2008, 01:46 PM
I know, I was just screwin with ya on that post! :D

:laugh:

Ok...

It was Tiger's second shot on this hole that killed him yesterday and kept him from winning in regulation. Let's see if he does better today.

I have to go to work after this hole...

They say Tiger's lie is perfect...

Edit: He's on the green! Great shot from the rough (couldn't have done it without the driver though ;) ). Has a 40ft putt for Eagle... Rocco's in the bunker.

Rocco's bunker shot is about 5 ft out... not quite automatic, but he should make birdie.

Tiger's Eagle putt left JUST short.

They both make birdie... Rocco looked relieved beyond belief.

Tiger +1

Rocco +2

BroncoWave
06-16-2008, 01:48 PM
Tiger with a putt for eagle. He should at least birdie this hole.

MOtorboat
06-16-2008, 02:10 PM
Come on fellas...help us out here, what happened on 14?

BeefStew25
06-16-2008, 02:11 PM
They are still tied I think. On 15 tiger put his drive into a bunker, and Rocco is in the fairway.

BeefStew25
06-16-2008, 02:14 PM
Rocco put his maybe 10-12 feet from the hole, and tiger has a nasty lie in the bunker. His ball is below his feet...and the shot: Put his inside Roccos. Shit. Really good shot.

Kapaibro
06-16-2008, 02:16 PM
Damn that was pure Tiger!

BeefStew25
06-16-2008, 02:21 PM
So now Rocco sunk his snake, and Tiger two putted. Rocco E, Tiger+1 3 holes left.

Buff
06-16-2008, 02:23 PM
So now Rocco sunk his snake, and Tiger two putted. Rocco E, Tiger+1 3 holes left.

No shit? Is el tigre gonna squander a 3 shot lead to lose?

LordTrychon
06-16-2008, 02:24 PM

Figres... I leave for work, and things take more of a turn...

I need the updates now...

BeefStew25
06-16-2008, 02:25 PM
No shit? Is el tigre gonna squander a 3 shot lead to lose?

Rocco left his approach short on the par three, and tiger is waiting for the next eclipse to hit his ball.

Thnikkaman
06-16-2008, 02:27 PM
Rocco left his approach short on the par three, and tiger is waiting for the next eclipse to hit his ball.

Beef. I need a T1 connection between your house and mine so I can have running commentary of everything you are doing 24-7.

BeefStew25
06-16-2008, 02:27 PM
Tiger just on the green, Rocco just off. Hole 16, commercial break:

Valspar Paint/Lowes narrated by Gene Hackman

Subway commercial talking shit about burger joints

Flomax commerical for dudes that can't piss, and shows guys doing Ace and Gary stuff

BeefStew25
06-16-2008, 02:28 PM
Beef. I need a T1 connection between your house and mine so I can have running commentary of everything you are doing 24-7.

If I won the lottery I would seriously do that.

BeefStew25
06-16-2008, 02:29 PM
Rocco first: He is going to use a putter off the green, and he left it maybe 2 feet. REALLY nice shot.

BeefStew25
06-16-2008, 02:31 PM
Now Tiger. He is going to use a putter also, which works out nice since he is in fact on the green:

Tiger is going to take forever. I am going to take a dump while I am waiting.

OK: Shit. He left it an INCH short.

BeefStew25
06-16-2008, 02:32 PM
Both tap in for par, to the 17th we walk. Rocco E, Tiger +1.

Thnikkaman
06-16-2008, 02:34 PM
If I won the lottery I would seriously do that.

I'd leave a webcam on for you. ;)

Buff
06-16-2008, 02:34 PM
So to recap, where did Tiger shit the bed? He was 3 up, then he was 1 down... I missed something.

BeefStew25
06-16-2008, 02:36 PM
Rocco avoids the bunker and is in the short rough.

Tiger (1 of last 6 fairways hit) is going to take his time. I will finish War and Peace while we wait. His ball is right down the dick even with Rocco's.

Commercial break:

Titleist commerical showing were each pro marks his balls.

The gay Travelers Insurance commercial with the idiot with the big umbrella. NTL, get your people on the phone and tell them to pull this BS.

Acura commerical with four golfers telling us how piddley we are because we can't afford the car they get for free

Buff
06-16-2008, 02:37 PM
This is good beef, I feel like I'm sitting in your home office watching with you. What are you wearing?

Thnikkaman
06-16-2008, 02:38 PM
So to recap, where did Tiger shit the bed? He was 3 up, then he was 1 down... I missed something.

Since Tiger being 3 up, he has lost holes 11, 12, 14, and 15.

Tned
06-16-2008, 02:42 PM
Rocco is battling hard. I'm impressed. Looks like they will both par 17 (tiger being oh so close to a birdie on 16), so Tiger will have to beat him by a stroke on 18. Unless Tiger can drop this putt.

BeefStew25
06-16-2008, 02:43 PM
This is good beef, I feel like I'm sitting in your home office watching with you. What are you wearing?

Jags t shirt and plaid shorts and my kimo thongs.

BeefStew25
06-16-2008, 02:44 PM
Rocco has about a 30 footer, tiger has maybe a 15 footer.

BeefStew25
06-16-2008, 02:45 PM
Rocco left his a couple feet away. Should be ok. Tiger is going to putt before it gets dark.

BeefStew25
06-16-2008, 02:49 PM
18 now

BeefStew25
06-16-2008, 02:53 PM
tiger in the crap i think, rocco in the bunker

BeefStew25
06-16-2008, 02:56 PM
tiger in the fairway....the shot....dude, this guy is worse than sergio.

BeefStew25
06-16-2008, 02:57 PM
the shot: on in 2. 25 footer.

Thnikkaman
06-16-2008, 02:57 PM

Tiger or Rocco?

MOtorboat
06-16-2008, 02:58 PM

Tiger...to win? Holy crap.

MOtorboat
I'm breaking down, I have to watch this.

Usopen.com

BeefStew25
roccos third shot: within 15 feet, tigers is like maybe 40.

BeefStew25
06-16-2008, 03:00 PM
if tiger makes it, rocco would have to make his to tie.

BeefStew25
06-16-2008, 03:02 PM
the putt: below the hole, maybe three feet left fot tiger

BeefStew25
06-16-2008, 03:04 PM
rocco: pushed it past maybe 2-3 feet

MOtorboat
06-16-2008, 03:05 PM
rocco: pushed it past maybe 2-3 feet

That's not a good putt from there, Johnny.

Buff
06-16-2008, 03:07 PM
Jags t shirt and plaid shorts and my kimo thongs.

Why do you own a jags tshirt?

BeefStew25
tiger 3 footer for the birdie: good

rocco for the par: good

sudden death...

BeefStew25
Why do you own a jags tshirt?

free

Thnikkaman
So what do they do now that its tied after another 18?

MOtorboat
06-16-2008, 03:08 PM
So what do they do now that its tied after another 18?

I think 17 and 18 again.

RunYouOver
06-16-2008, 03:11 PM
Wow, I can't say I've ever seen anything like this before.

I'm not much of a golf fan, I only watch most of the majors...but still. Sudden death after an 18 hole playoff?

Wow!

Rex
06-16-2008, 03:11 PM
start on hole 7 then 8

BeefStew25
06-16-2008, 03:13 PM
Tiger has honors. His teeth look great.

BeefStew25
06-16-2008, 03:15 PM
Tiger cut the coner, drive is on the fairway against the first cut.

BeefStew25
06-16-2008, 03:16 PM
Rocco's drive is left in the bunker. Up against the bunker.

RunYouOver
Rocco's drive is left in the bunker. Up against the bunker.

He's in a tough spot now....

BeefStew25
I think Rocco might have just lost this.

RunYouOver
06-16-2008, 03:19 PM
Landed left of the cart path...barring a collapse...this one looks to be FINALLY over.

MOtorboat
06-16-2008, 03:20 PM
Is it Sudden Death, or a two-hole, or three-hole playoff?

BeefStew25
Rocco from the bunker: Put it up against the grandstand way off the green.

BeefStew25
Sudden death, Willow.

MOtorboat
06-16-2008, 03:21 PM
Sudden death, Willow.

Well, the scorecard from usopen.com popped up 7, 8 and 1 and I thought it might be a three-hole playoff...Andre

RunYouOver
Looks like Tiger's on the green

BeefStew25
Tiger to the front of the green. Maybe 15 feet.

BeefStew25
06-16-2008, 03:23 PM
I think Rocco gets a free drop here.

MOtorboat
06-16-2008, 03:24 PM
I think Rocco gets a free drop here.

Don't they have a drop area on 7?

BeefStew25
06-16-2008, 03:24 PM
Rocco's went maybe 10 feet past maybe?

BeefStew25
06-16-2008, 03:25 PM
Don't they have a drop area on 7?

Yeah. Hence the free drop, dildo.

BeefStew25
06-16-2008, 03:27 PM
Tiger left it three inches short.

BeefStew25
Rocco needs to make this for the push.

RunYouOver
So close to ending it...all comes down to this shot for Rocco

BeefStew25
06-16-2008, 03:28 PM
Rocco missed, Tiger won.

RunYouOver
06-16-2008, 03:30 PM
Tiger wins a classic

Tned
06-16-2008, 03:32 PM
Wow, what a playoff.

Rex
06-16-2008, 03:33 PM
Greatest of All Time. People should appreciate watching him.

Kapaibro
06-16-2008, 03:34 PM
That was epic golf!

BeefStew25
06-16-2008, 03:34 PM
This is like watching Elway play. You apreciate the best.

Thnikkaman
06-16-2008, 03:35 PM
Will be catching highlights later.

Slick
06-16-2008, 03:40 PM
Damn...I just got home and missed it all. Sounds like it was epic. I'm a little disappointed for Rocco, but it's not hard to want Tiger to win either. He is the best we may ever see.

BeefStew25
06-16-2008, 03:40 PM
Tigers kid is pale as they come.

Kapaibro
06-16-2008, 03:43 PM
Tigers kid is pale as they come.

She is a real cutey

NightTrainLayne
06-16-2008, 04:26 PM
What a win for Tiger.

He always gets knocked for never "coming from behind to win on Sunday", but when you put together his 5 stroke come-back Saturday afternoon with his putt on 18 on Sunday, with 19 holes worth of playoff today, and I think you have to let that one go.

Greeatest of all-time.

You have to give it up to Rocco as well. I think a lot of the other guys (i.e. Mickelson, Singh, etc.) would have folded before Rocco did. He put up one Hell of a fight.

Tned
06-16-2008, 06:30 PM
Damn...I just got home and missed it all. Sounds like it was epic. I'm a little disappointed for Rocco, but it's not hard to want Tiger to win either. He is the best we may ever see.

Yea, there was part of me that was really pulling for Rocco to make the putt on 18 to win it.

What a win for Tiger.

He always gets knocked for never "coming from behind to win on Sunday", but when you put together his 5 stroke come-back Saturday afternoon with his putt on 18 on Sunday, with 19 holes worth of playoff today, and I think you have to let that one go.

Greeatest of all-time.

You have to give it up to Rocco as well. I think a lot of the other guys (i.e. Mickelson, Singh, etc.) would have folded before Rocco did. He put up one Hell of a fight.

Yea. He made the run on Saturday. Made the putt on Sunday to get in the playoff, then played from behind from behind coming down the stretch and had to birdie 18 again to tie, just like on Sunday.

BroncoWave
06-16-2008, 06:54 PM
Amazing! I had to come home and watch it on TiVo so I had to close my computer down not to see the result. Simply amazing tournament! Go Tiger!

broncosfanscott
06-16-2008, 08:55 PM
Amazing, simply amazing and only fitting that it had to go to sudden death. Like others I was pulling for Rocco and was bummed on his first two shots on the last hole. He came to play and what a great tournament this weekend that will be remembered for a long time. Tiger was awesome considering he played 91 holes on a bum knee.

San Diego did this tournament well and I would love to see it come back in the future.

MOtorboat
06-16-2008, 08:57 PM
Amazing, simply amazing and only fitting that it had to go to sudden death. Like others I was pulling for Rocco and was bummed on his first two shots on the last hole. He came to play and what a great tournament this weekend that will be remembered for a long time.

San Diego did this tournament well and would love to see it come back in the future.

I love the public courses. Three years in a row, Torrey Pines, Beth Page Black, Pebble Beach.

I think that it represents the average golfer more than the country club yuppies, but that's just mho.

Rex
06-16-2008, 08:59 PM
I love the public courses. Three years in a row, Torrey Pines, Beth Page Black, Pebble Beach.

I think that it represents the average golfer more than the country club yuppies, but that's just mho.

I have been to 2 majors...a US Open and a PGA Championship. The US Open course set ups are brutal. The PGA, much easier, but tough. It was amazing to see the difference in Torrey Pines for the Buick vs. The Open.

MOtorboat
06-16-2008, 09:01 PM
I have been to 2 majors...a US Open and a PGA Championship. The US Open course set ups are brutal. The PGA, much easier, but tough. It was amazing to see the difference in Torrey Pines for the Buick vs. The Open.

Totally agree. I have not been to a tournament, but just the difference in scores tells you what you need to know.

I love watching the U.S. Open.

broncosfanscott
06-16-2008, 09:04 PM
The US Open is notorious for scores like these. I guess the PGA tinkers with the course to set it up that way. Torrey Pines has a North and South course. The South Course is the harder of the two which is why they played on that one this weekend.

BeefStew25
06-16-2008, 09:10 PM
Tiger and the fam coming home:

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N401QS

MOtorboat
06-16-2008, 09:10 PM
The US Open is notorious for scores like these. I guess the PGA tinkers with the course to set it up that way. Torrey Pines has a North and South course. The South Course is the harder of the two which is why they played on that one this weekend.

The PGA events are always on the South Course.

A few things they did: they let the grass grow out and roll the greens so that they are higher on the stimpmeter. They also change the sand, so that it's harder to get out. On many courses they narrow the fairways, although I'm not sure they did that to Torrey Pines.

A couple of things, like on No. 3, the Par 3, they shaved that back lip so anything long would just roll into the hazard. Also, another example, how sheer No. 14 was leading up to the hole, and the pin placements. That led to Phil's 9 there. Any backspin on the ball just sends it right back down the hill. You'd never see that during the Buick.

They definitely change the golf course, but I don't mind it one bit. I really don't mind seeing the pros struggle a little.

BeefStew25
06-16-2008, 09:11 PM
http://map4.flightaware.com/flight_track_map.rvt?ident=N401QS-1213638068-29927;airports=KCRQ KMCO+;key=1b11f7085d3bfb80db6df3f7b31c8e64f0ed7ce5 ;keytime=1213668634;height=600;width=800;departure time=1213662000;arrivaltime=

Rex
06-16-2008, 09:15 PM
Tiger's jet?

BeefStew25
06-16-2008, 09:16 PM
Tiger's jet?

Yeah. He has a deal with Net Jets.

Rex
06-16-2008, 09:17 PM
Yeah. He has a deal with Net Jets.

You knowledge of airlines/aircraft astounds me and is only surpassed by your outstanding ass in my mind.

BeefStew25
06-16-2008, 09:18 PM
You knowledge of airlines/aircraft astounds me and is only surpassed by your outstanding ass in my mind.

Maybe sometime we can take a flight somewhere. When NTL gets his jet, he will take us up.

Rex
06-16-2008, 09:19 PM
Maybe sometime we can take a flight somewhere. When NTL gets his jet, he will take us up.

I wont fly with NTL. I will ride the Hound with Spider and meet you there.

BeefStew25
06-16-2008, 09:23 PM
I wont fly with NTL. I will ride the Hound with Spider and meet you there.

Oh yeah. Well maybe with Baynard. He is loaded, but hides it.

Rex
06-16-2008, 09:24 PM
Oh yeah. Well maybe with Baynard. He is loaded, but hides it.

I already like Baynard.

NightTrainLayne
06-16-2008, 09:25 PM
You and I will just have to share the champagne and caviar Beef.

Maybe we will invite Dread, he seems like he can enjoy the finer things.

BeefStew25
06-16-2008, 09:25 PM
I already like Baynard.

He drinks beer with Tubby. He is a mess. You will meat him in October.

BeefStew25
06-16-2008, 09:26 PM
You and I will just have to share the champagne and caviar Beef.

Maybe we will invite Dread, he seems like he can enjoy the finer things.

Only if I can load and unload bags. I don't want to burn bridges with CSWIL.

Rex
06-16-2008, 09:26 PM
He drinks beer with Tubby. He is a mess. You will meat him in October.

I bet he as a black AMEX.

LordTrychon
06-16-2008, 11:29 PM

A few things they did: they let the grass grow out and roll the greens so that they are higher on the stimpmeter. They also change the sand, so that it's harder to get out. On many courses they narrow the fairways, although I'm not sure they did that to Torrey Pines.

A couple of things, like on No. 3, the Par 3, they shaved that back lip so anything long would just roll into the hazard. Also, another example, how sheer No. 14 was leading up to the hole, and the pin placements. That led to Phil's 9 there. Any backspin on the ball just sends it right back down the hill. You'd never see that during the Buick.

They definitely change the golf course, but I don't mind it one bit. I really don't mind seeing the pros struggle a little.

Actually I think they split time on north and south courses on Thursday and Friday for the Buick.

You're right on about the changes though... and I'm with you as far as loving the open. This year wasn't as brutal as the past two... but even then I enjoy it. When it's that bad (at the Masters too, lately) the players will bitch about how unfair the course is playing... but they're all playing the same course. :confused:

broncosfanscott
06-17-2008, 12:08 AM

For PGA events they do use the North Course. The North Course is used on Thursday and Friday for the Buick Invitational. The players alternate between the two for the first two days and on the weekend they stick to the South Course because the field has been cut.

LordTrychon
06-18-2008, 11:43 PM
Watching the golf channel now...

Just going back to the Devils Advocate point earlier in the thread (and yes I understand it was just a devils advocate post, WTM)...

He was dealing with more pain than we realized... and he KNEW how bad his condition was and he wouldn't tell us. Amazing. Didn't want the extra attention... or to take away from the tournament.

On the other hand, it worried me seeing him in pain when he was taking big swings... thinking that he had to really worry about the the possibility of worse damage. It's more clear now that he knew what the damage was... but on top of that it seems that much of the pain was actually from the stress fractures... which isn't going to worsen or re-injure the way a knee injury could. So that probably took off some of the stress or danger factor for him.

Still. The man NEVER ceases to amaze me and I'll miss him over the next 8-12 months.

:salute: