PDA

View Full Version : Who Will Emerge as Stars for the Broncos in 2008?

topscribe
06-13-2008, 02:42 PM
I just got through reading 2008 WhatIfSports.com AFC West Preview (http://profootballexperts.scout.com/2/761778.html), wherein
the Broncos don't get much love. Based on last year (upon which most
analyses have been made, I've noticed), there is probably not much to base
any love on.

However, this is not last year. If any team is different from last year, the
Broncos are.

The Preview states that the Broncos' "most exploitable weakness" is "lack of a
star." The only noteworthy star on the team, they say, is Champ Bailey.
Guess they don't consider Cutler or Marshall a star, even though both proved
themselves of at least budding stars, IMO. I guess it's how you look at it.
My view may be tinted a little bit orange, I admit.

Anyway, the team seems to have several players who could emerge as
stars this year. I believe, by year's end, Cutler and Marshall will have
removed all doubt, and so will Dumervil.

I also think D.J. will be a beast back in his natural position and probably go
to the Pro Bowl. Clady has a year to go, IMO, but, while he will be decent
this year, he will break out in 2009. If Kuper is given a full-time position, I
believe he will establish himself as one of the better OLs in the league. I
have high hopes for Selvin . . . I think he will also break out.

If Scheffler can stay healthy, he will join the likes of Gates and Gonzales as
a premier receiving TE, IMO. Boss Bailey has a good chance to finally break
out in a system designed more for him. I am almost positive that Marcus
Thomas will become a star in the middle.

There is also a good chance for Fast Eddie Royal. http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/AZDynamics/Smilies/throckon.gif

What say you? Let your feelings be known here. *taps fingers on desk*

(I left Cutler and BMarsh out of the poll because they would garner almost
100% of the votes. Also, since the poll gives a maximum of ten options, I
had to be somewhat selective. If you think someone not on there should be
considered, mention him and discuss him for us.)

-----

BOSSHOGG30
06-13-2008, 02:48 PM
I like Champ, Dumervil, Foxworth, Paymah, Robertson, and Crowder on the D

for offense; Culter, Hillis, Marshall, and Graham

Special Teams; Barrett, Royal, & Larsen

SR
06-13-2008, 02:48 PM
I say you're a little too hopeful for some of the names you listed.

BroncoFanatic
06-13-2008, 02:51 PM
The author needs to quit drinking first thing in the morning, because he missed some stars on this team.

Elvis had a great season (10 sacks IIRC)
Shef was dynamite when he played
Marshall, duh...

In addition to these guys, I think that by mid season, Cutler and Young will be considered among the best at their positions. Improvements to the D-line are going to help our offense break out, IMO.

SR
06-13-2008, 02:52 PM
All of this Selvin Young crap has got to stop. Torain is taking the starting job this year.

topscribe
06-13-2008, 02:55 PM
I say you're a little too hopeful for some of the names you listed.

I'm not promoting them. I'm only asking for opinions.

I gave my opinions in my post, not the poll.

-----

underrated29
06-13-2008, 02:55 PM
ehm, I would first like to start my response with......DRE BLY!!!!!

He and champ will show teams what the right way to play cb, or the wrong way to throw a football.

my next response is that of........JARVIS MOSS!!!!!!

He will show that he is a 1st rd DE and can get the qb on the plays that doom does not.

I would then like to follow that up with..........TIM CHOWDA !!!!!!!!!

Because he gon' be a chowin down on some runningbacks and quarterbacks.

lastly, I think that the head can not live without the body and the other way around. So i present to you...........MARCUS THOMAS and DEWAYNE ROBERTSON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

These two are going to end our run problems and should force the QB backwards right into the hands of the MOSS and DOOM.

Tea and Krumpet?

SR
06-13-2008, 03:00 PM
I think Robertson is going to be a bust.

As far as our "emerging stars" for the 2008 season, I'm going with Keary Colbert (I'll say 50-60 catches for around 800 yards and 4-7 TDs), Tim Crowder (I'll say 8-10 sacks), and Niko at MLB.

Marshall, Cutler, and Dumerville aren't really emerging as everyone knows what they can or have the potential to do. Marshall and Cutler are already "stars" and Dumerville has had two badass seasons in a row, so he's pretty much almost up there already anyway.

topscribe
06-13-2008, 03:07 PM
I think Robertson is going to be a bust.

As far as our "emerging stars" for the 2008 season, I'm going with Keary Colbert (I'll say 50-60 catches for around 800 yards and 4-7 TDs), Tim Crowder (I'll say 8-10 sacks), and Niko at MLB.

Marshall, Cutler, and Dumerville aren't really emerging as everyone knows what they can or have the potential to do. Marshall and Cutler are already "stars" and Dumerville has had two badass seasons in a row, so he's pretty much almost up there already anyway.

I thought about Colbert, and I was extremely impressed with him in college.
My only concern is, why didn't he make more of a splash in the pros, good or
bad QB? Nonetheless, McCaffrey didn't impress anybody before coming to the
Broncos, either. But Keary has the speed the Broncos need at #2, and he has
good hands. So I hope you're right: I'd like to become a Colbert fan again.

Regarding Robertson, I'm scared to death of his knee. I hope they are
leveling with us when they say his lack of participation in the OTAs was
preventive. He will be a rock if his knee cooperates. We'll see.

-----

SOCALORADO.
06-13-2008, 04:33 PM
Den Stars This Year.
Ryan Torain
Josh Barrett
Peyton Hillis
St-Spencer Larsen ( May Even Be At Mlb By Mid Season)
Tony Scheffler

TXBRONC
06-13-2008, 04:35 PM
I think Scheffler has already emerged as a start so I just him getter better with time and I think D.J. has already proven to be a star on the weakside. I would also say that Dumervil and Kuper have already emerged as stars.

Possible emerging stars from the 2008 team the way I see it: Young, Royal (right now I think more so on Special Teams but you never know he might just be very productive on offensive from the get-go) Clady, Thomas, Crowder and Moss.

Northman
06-13-2008, 04:38 PM
Shef, Royal, Doom, and Moss.

Retired_Member_001
06-13-2008, 05:12 PM
Jarvis Moss was a straight up beast for us before his injury. He got to the Quarterback nearly every play he was put in (which was a few plays not enough). I honestly think that Jarvis Moss could develop into a superstar DE for us. He has now put on the added bulk that lets him contest against the run better. His pass rushing will always be he strong point though, he just has that speed and finesse to get to the Quarterback.

He will be a great player for us, mark my words.

SR
06-13-2008, 05:15 PM
I also forgot to add Ryan Torain. He'll be our starting running back when we open our season against the Raiders.

Requiem / The Dagda
06-13-2008, 06:31 PM
The term star has a little ambiguity, and I don't consider anyone who isn't a Pro-Bowler a "star." There are a lot of these players who will do well for us, but there will perhaps be a few that can get that "star" status. Furthermore, I think most of this is just wishful thinking, IMHO -- but I'll play along.

Offensively, Tony Scheffler with a healthy foot should be a candidate for the Pro-Bowl, the same would go for Brandon Marshall. They can be stars in their third years; but they aren't stars yet. Jay Cutler would go into this group as well, because this should be the year all three of those guys break out. It's unlikely that a Broncos offensive lineman would get any praise, but if they keep Kuper at guard and stop playing position carousel, I think he'll do extremely well.

Defensively, it'd have to be Dumervil and Williams. Elvis Dumervil has Pro-Bowl potential, but must be better against the run and Williams, despite the homerism still hasn't got "it" at linebacker. He can make all the tackles in the world, but until he starts forcing turnovers against the run and the pass, and doesn't miss his coverage assignments, he'll just be another one of those guys with great physical skills, but lacking the mental capacity to fully achieve in the NFL.

Player who will do well, but isn't going to be a star: I think Tim Crowder, (my boy) will establish himself as a three down defensive end this season and do very well, I think 8-10 sacks will be easy for him to achieve. He's not going to make the Pro-Bowl, but he's an extremely durable, smart and motored defensive end. Not a star, but he'll do well.

I wouldn't consider any rookie on this team becoming a star, but I think that Royal, Hillis, Larsen and Barrett will bring some spice to special teams. Star is just too much of a lofty term for me to reference in regards to these players.

SR
06-13-2008, 06:40 PM
Yeah, Dream, I just high fived you. So what.

Nature Boy
06-13-2008, 06:43 PM
I voted for Travis Henry... I meant DJ Williams.

Hobe
06-13-2008, 06:53 PM
I am feeling critical tonight, so I only checked Dumervil. He has improved every year and I think he will make a real impact this year.

I’m not going to bank on a rookie. I think Clady will be OK, but you know they will go after him and try and confuse the Rookie. I think it be a few years of learning before he is great. Royal could do a “Rick Upchurch” thing with returns, but he’s a rookie…

There are several like Scheffler, if he can stay healthy...:ballchain:

You left some off the list, so I will ignore these highly talented players, too. ;)

topscribe
06-13-2008, 07:11 PM
I voted for Travis Henry... I meant DJ Williams.

:pound:

-----

topscribe
06-13-2008, 07:13 PM
Yeah, Dream, I just high fived you. So what.

Wow. So then, I still don't know if you like me anymore . . . http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/AZDynamics/Smilies/thdissappointed.gif

-----

topscribe
06-13-2008, 07:18 PM
The term star has a little ambiguity, and I don't consider anyone who isn't a Pro-Bowler a "star." There are a lot of these players who will do well for us, but there will perhaps be a few that can get that "star" status. Furthermore, I think most of this is just wishful thinking, IMHO -- but I'll play along.

Offensively, Tony Scheffler with a healthy foot should be a candidate for the Pro-Bowl, the same would go for Brandon Marshall. They can be stars in their third years; but they aren't stars yet. Jay Cutler would go into this group as well, because this should be the year all three of those guys break out. It's unlikely that a Broncos offensive lineman would get any praise, but if they keep Kuper at guard and stop playing position carousel, I think he'll do extremely well.

Defensively, it'd have to be Dumervil and Williams. Elvis Dumervil has Pro-Bowl potential, but must be better against the run and Williams, despite the homerism still hasn't got "it" at linebacker. He can make all the tackles in the world, but until he starts forcing turnovers against the run and the pass, and doesn't miss his coverage assignments, he'll just be another one of those guys with great physical skills, but lacking the mental capacity to fully achieve in the NFL.

Player who will do well, but isn't going to be a star: I think Tim Crowder, (my boy) will establish himself as a three down defensive end this season and do very well, I think 8-10 sacks will be easy for him to achieve. He's not going to make the Pro-Bowl, but he's an extremely durable, smart and motored defensive end. Not a star, but he'll do well.

I wouldn't consider any rookie on this team becoming a star, but I think that Royal, Hillis, Larsen and Barrett will bring some spice to special teams. Star is just too much of a lofty term for me to reference in regards to these players.

I think your criterion for "star" is a little narrow. There are thirty-two teams
with 1,696 players to try to cram the best into about 90 or so spots. That
leaves a lot of awfully good players on the outside, looking in.

I guess you can set the parameters where you want in your own mind, but
in mine, a lot of "stars" in the league are not nominated to the Pro Bowl
each year.

But that's just me, I guess. :whoknows:

-----

Requiem / The Dagda
06-13-2008, 07:25 PM
Well, that's just the thing. In my mind, there's a difference between stars and good players. I guess I have always felt by using the word "star" - it'd be in reference to a player with remarkable abilities that most can't acheive. There are a lot of good players in the NFL; but not many stars. IMHO.

topscribe
06-13-2008, 07:34 PM
Well, that's just the thing. In my mind, there's a difference between stars and good players. I guess I have always felt by using the word "star" - it'd be in reference to a player with remarkable abilities that most can't acheive. There are a lot of good players in the NFL; but not many stars. IMHO.

I can't argue with that all the way. For instance, the term "great," which I
believe is the most abused term in sports. I suppose the same logic could be
used for "star."

However, I still believe there are some "stars" who do not make the Pro Bowl.
Take the WR position, for instance. Several very, very good WRs did not go to
the Pro Bowl because there are very few spots for them. Yet I believe they
are still stars.

-----

TXBRONC
06-13-2008, 08:12 PM
I think your criterion for "star" is a little narrow. There are thirty-two teams
with 1,696 players to try to cram the best into about 90 or so spots. That
leaves a lot of awfully good players on the outside, looking in.

I guess you can set the parameters where you want in your own mind, but
in mine, a lot of "stars" in the league are not nominated to the Pro Bowl
each year.

But that's just me, I guess. :whoknows:

-----

I've always defined star player as the best player on your team.

broncogirl7
06-13-2008, 09:09 PM
I see Selvin Young as a shining star this year. He is highly motivated and talented.
He's also put on a little weight which they seem to think will make a difference. I see him carrying the ball 15-20 times a game and getting between 1,000 - 1,200 yards rushing this year. I like that he's set his goals high - 2,000 yards rushing this year.

Selvin Young says that he considers himself the starting running back in Denver.

"I’m coming out and I’m taking the reps right now with the ones, and I feel like it’s my job to go out and continue to be a leader and be an example for the guys behind me and continue to keep pressure on those guys like they’re putting pressure on me," Young said.

I also see Dumervil as a stand out this year with 15-20 sacks.

TXBRONC
06-13-2008, 09:14 PM
I see Selvin Young as a shining star this year. He is highly motivated and talented.
He's also put on a little weight which they seem to think will make a difference. I see him carrying the ball 15-20 times a game and getting between 1,000 - 1,200 yards rushing this year. I like that he's set his goals high - 2,000 yards rushing this year.

Selvin Young says that he considers himself the starting running back in Denver.

"I’m coming out and I’m taking the reps right now with the ones, and I feel like it’s my job to go out and continue to be a leader and be an example for the guys behind me and continue to keep pressure on those guys like they’re putting pressure on me," Young said.

I also see Dumervil as a stand out this year with 15-20 sacks.

15 to 20 sacks might be a bit high BG7. If Dumervil gets between 10 and 15 that's solid season.

topscribe
06-13-2008, 09:19 PM
15 to 20 sacks might be a bit high BG7. If Dumervil gets between 10 and 15 that's solid season.

Well, we have Selvin with 2,000 yards, BMarsh with another 100 catches, and Doom with 15 - 20 sacks.

Looks like we have a dynasty going. :nixon:

-----

broncogirl7
06-13-2008, 09:22 PM

Maybe, but I figure he got 12.5 sacks last season, sooo 15 or more isn't too big of a stretch. I am very optimistic this year! Plus, remember he did have 20 - 28 sack seasons in college, so it could be possible. I'd also like to see alot of forced fumbles too!

TXBRONC
06-13-2008, 09:44 PM
Maybe, but I figure he got 12.5 sacks last season, sooo 15 or more isn't too big of a stretch. I am very optimistic this year! Plus, remember he did have 20 - 28 sack seasons in college, so it could be possible. I'd also like to see alot of forced fumbles too!

I appreciate the optimism but what Dumervil did in college just isn't quite the same as you well know.

Sure it's possible but hitting the 20 sack mark has been done but a few times if I'm not mistaken.

slim
06-13-2008, 09:44 PM
As soon as Selvin gets hurt, Torain will be the starting RB....and he will excel at it. Now, don't get me wrong...I hope Selvin stays healthy for an entire year and gets his 2,000 yards, I just don't see why this year would be any different than his previous five years.

Also, I will go out on a limb and say Colbert will be a huge surprise...just a gut feeling.

DenBronx
06-14-2008, 12:11 AM
i think royal might shock everyone in the return game and be an outstanding wr as well. i see his stardom rising faster than anyone on our whole team.

royal for the win.

thread closed.

Lonestar
06-14-2008, 02:01 AM
Well, we have Selvin with 2,000 yards, Marsh with another 100 catches, and Doom with 15 - 20 sacks.

Looks like we have a dynasty going. :nixon:

-----

A trifecta or hat trick depending on ones other sport..

Nature Boy
06-14-2008, 03:42 AM
and Williams, despite the homerism still hasn't got "it" at linebacker. He can make all the tackles in the world, but until he starts forcing turnovers against the run and the pass, and doesn't miss his coverage assignments, he'll just be another one of those guys with great physical skills, but lacking the mental capacity to fully achieve in the NFL.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

So you're saying DJ is too stupid to play to the full potential of his physical abilities?

I thought we discussed this already and you've been proven wrong. Please explain some more.

Football is instinctual and the more time you spend at a certain position, the better you become just from the repetitions and experience. I will start by saying, when you have to play 3 different LB positions in 4 years at the NFL level, it's very difficult and I think DJ Williams did an excellent job not only at his native position, Will, but he did an excellent in the Mike and Sam as well. I think that took a lot of smarts as well as physical abilities. DJ is in the upper echelon of the NFL in all 3 of the LB positions. DJ did start slow last year, particularly in Jim Bates system but so did the rest of the team, so you really can't hold that against the guy.

So what did you say? DJ is too stupid to be a great Lb in the NFL?

Timmy!
06-14-2008, 06:40 AM
DJ is back where he belongs and is going to turn heads around the league this year. Bank on it.

Slick
06-14-2008, 08:17 AM
I think Darrel Jackson will make huge 3rd down catches all year long as teams will obviously focus on Marshall. I'm also cautiously optimistic about Jarvis Moss.

Ziggy
06-16-2008, 12:37 AM
On Offense-

Cutler- I think he may have another second to sit in the pocket this season. That, combined with the fact that he seems to be managing his diabetes well should make for a breakout season for him.

Marshall- 100 catches last season. When he does it again this season, he'll get the respect that he should already have from the rest of the league. I see him making his first trip to Honalulu this year.

Sheffler- With Graham having babysitting duties for the tackles for one more season, I think Tony has his breakout season also. He'll make a name for himself at the H-back position this year.

On Defense-

Dumervil- Better play from the D-tackle and help from the second year guys should increase his sack total to the 12-15 range.

DJ Williams- Playing back at his natural position with an improved D-line and scheme should allow him to surpass his rookie numbers and mark him as an elite LB.

Champ- Another player who will benefit from an improved D-line and scheme. 8-12 interceptions coming for 2008.

PatricktheDookie
06-16-2008, 01:02 AM
I picked Clady, Williams, and Thomas. I think Williams will remind people why he was so great as a rookie, I think Thomas will benefit from some DL help, and Clady, as a LT, will have his success tied to Cutler's (which is a good thing),

DenBronx
06-16-2008, 02:01 AM
i change my mind...im gonna say matt prater our kicker. :coffee: