PDA

View Full Version : Elway's rookie year (video) and Tebow

titan
07-12-2010, 12:11 AM
New on my sports blog:

I'll be there for Tebow's 1st game, just like I was for Elway's

http://sportsindenver.blogspot.com/2010/07/ill-be-there-for-tebows-1st-game-just.html

(copy below) It's a little slow around here waiting for camp to open so it's time for some more old Bronco highlights!

=============

On August 21st Tim Tebow will make his Denver debut in what otherwise would be a meaningless preseason game against the Detroit Lions. I will be there! Just like I was 23 years ago, when John Elway made his Denver debut in a preseason game against Seattle on August 5, 1983.

Back in 1983 the Broncos didn't include the first preseason game in the season ticket package. This resulted in thousands of tickets being available on game day. I originally wasn't planning to attend the game, but decided after dinner to drive down to Mile High Stadium to buy a ticket. I was glad I did! I sat in the East Stands and I was immediately impressed with the strength of Elway's arm. As the video below shows, right from the start you could tell Elway would be good!

I'm hoping I get the same impression from Tim Tebow on August 21st. I do caution fans to be patient when evaluating Tebow. After John Elway's impressive preseason debut he struggled in later preseason games. Against Minnesota he kept throwing the ball in the dirt, missing wide open receivers. And he had a rocky start to the NFL season against the Steelers in Pittsburgh, being benched half way through the game after completing only 1 of 8 passes for 14 yards. Did this mean that Elway was a bust? No way! Later that year he claimed the starting quarterback job for good and led the Broncos to his first 4th quarter comeback win vs the Colts in December.

Tebow no doubt will have growing pains, and some plays that will cause fans to say "no way is he an nfl quarterback!" I say look for flashes of ability, like we did for Elway back in 1983, and give Tebow at least 2 or 3 years to prove he can be a legitimate NFL quarterback.

Will the scene on August 21st be like August 5, 1983? I hope so - here's a portion of video I recorded that night with Elway's fabulous debut, and what happened later that season:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2lSKijTma9I&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2lSKijTma9I&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

WARHORSE
07-12-2010, 01:31 AM
Remember that noise in Mile High?

The stadium was electric.

Everyone was hoping Elway was the saviour we needed.

Thats why you can listen to that crowd and hear REAL Broncos fans pouring out their allegiance.

Sure has changed now that all the winesippers are in there...........

Those were the days............and they will come again.:salute::salute::salute:

GGMoogly
07-12-2010, 07:26 AM
.....Sure has changed now that all the winesippers are in there...........

Never disparage a man's choice of booze :tsk:

MasterShake
07-12-2010, 08:22 AM

Thats why you can listen to that crowd and hear REAL Broncos fans pouring out their allegiance.

Those were the days............and they will come again.:salute::salute::salute:

I will agree with you about the winesippers, thats why I don't mind that I have upper level seats for the Colts games as the fans get a little more rowdy up there!

Though I have been to a few games that rivaled the old Mile High, in particular the AFC Divisional Game in 2005. My ears rung after that game.

Overtime
07-12-2010, 10:07 AM
oh lord, here we go again. comparing Tebow to Elway. oh the drama. :eek:

Grover
07-13-2010, 10:26 AM
Wow, Dan Reeves out on the field doing a fist pump! How unprofessional :rolleyes:

Thanks for the video. That was terrific seeing the old time Broncos. I've never been to a game in Denver, but the feeling even through a video and computer speakers is electric. I had kinda forgotten. And by the way, I am a winesipper, but it's beer and screaming all the way when I'm at a game.

Ravage!!!
07-13-2010, 11:04 AM

So is this another post that states a person is only a REAL Bronco's fan if they agree with everything the coaches do, the GM does, and the Owner does.... and if you don't then they are some "whinsipper" fan (which is an absolute ridiculous put down to begin with)?

MasterShake
07-13-2010, 11:28 AM
So is this another post that states a person is only a REAL Bronco's fan if they agree with everything the coaches do, the GM does, and the Owner does.... and if you don't then they are some "whinsipper" fan (which is an absolute ridiculous put down to begin with)?

No, he is referring to (I believe anyway) the more subdued crowds at Invesco Field. My neighbor has season tickets about 6 rows behind the visitors bench. He usually lets me have a preseason game every year, and when you sit there you "sit there" or people tell you to. Its a bunch of older, rich people who aren't up for body paint or rowdy fans. Often times they literally do drink wine. Its the nature of the more expensive tickets maybe, but I often only have a real good time when I sit higher up.

oubronco
07-13-2010, 11:37 AM

My first game was at Mile High and man that stadium was rockin and shakin so much the field was blurry it was awesome

BroncoWave
07-13-2010, 11:48 AM

Huh? That's not at all what he is saying. Did you actually read his post? He's saying he misses the days in which all the fans were loud and rowdy during the games and that has been replaced with the "winesippers" who don't make any noise and just sit there for the most part. In what universe did you get out of that post that anyone who doesn't agree with the GM or owner isn't a real fan?

This is a clear case of you just looking to start shit regardless of what was posted. GTFOH with that crap.

Ravage!!!
07-13-2010, 01:25 PM

Huh? That's not at all what he is saying. Did you actually read his post? He's saying he misses the days in which all the fans were loud and rowdy during the games and that has been replaced with the "winesippers" who don't make any noise and just sit there for the most part. In what universe did you get out of that post that anyone who doesn't agree with the GM or owner isn't a real fan?

This is a clear case of you just looking to start shit regardless of what was posted. GTFOH with that crap.

Baily, you once again prove that you are a waste of bandwidth.

I asked because of this line..inferring that only REAL fans blah blah blah

I didn't attack him, I dind't insult him, and I purposely asked a question so that I wouldn't be throwing stones.

You are the one that insists on being a complete a-hole. :salute:

BroncoWave
07-13-2010, 01:37 PM
Baily, you once again prove that you are a waste of bandwidth.

I asked because of this line..inferring that only REAL fans blah blah blah

I didn't attack him, I dind't insult him, and I purposely asked a question so that I wouldn't be throwing stones.

You are the one that insists on being a complete a-hole. :salute:

Sorry you're not smart enough to see that he was talking about how the fans act in the stadium, and that what he said had nothing to do with agreeing with management.

But given the rise I got out of you with this MHS you sent me, I think I struck a chord of truth:

"**** OFF with this bullshit, you ******* *****. Read his ******* post and see where I got it, also,..learn to respond as other ahead of you. You are such a dip shit"

claymore
07-13-2010, 01:42 PM
Come on guys. We are better than this.

Ravage!!!
07-13-2010, 01:45 PM
Sorry you're not smart enough to see that he was talking about how the fans act in the stadium, and that what he said had nothing to do with agreeing with management.

But given the rise I got out of you with this MHS you sent me, I think I struck a chord of truth:

"**** OFF with this bullshit, you ******* *****. Read his ******* post and see where I got it, also,..learn to respond as other ahead of you. You are such a dip shit"

ALthough my MHS to you was insulting (obviously intentional).. I did keep it in private as to not bring it to public viewing.

:salute: Bailey, for being too smart for me, and obviously all about class.

slim
07-13-2010, 01:48 PM
Come on guys. We are better than this.

Clay, go **** yourself.

BroncoWave
07-13-2010, 01:52 PM
ALthough my MHS to you was insulting (obviously intentional).. I did keep it in private as to not bring it to public viewing.

:salute: Bailey, for being too smart for me, and obviously all about class.

Have the balls to say it in public or don't say it at all. :coffee:

claymore
07-13-2010, 01:54 PM
Clay, go **** yourself.

I am the Pony Boy of this place. There is a gleem.

Ravage!!!
07-13-2010, 01:55 PM
Have the balls to say it in public or don't say it at all. :coffee:

That makes no sense. I said it to you, not to someone else. I kept it in private on purpose as the public forum wasn't the place. But I see you aren't mature enough to see nor understand. If you wanted the mods to see my MHS to you, report it.

BroncoWave
07-13-2010, 02:00 PM
That makes no sense. I said it to you, not to someone else. I kept it in private on purpose as the public forum wasn't the place. But I see you aren't mature enough to see nor understand. If you wanted the mods to see my MHS to you, report it.

Says the person who sends a profanity laced MHS because someone calls him out on his crap.

slim
07-13-2010, 02:03 PM
I am the Pony Boy of this place. There is a gleem.

Stay gold, Pony.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Colman Roberts
12-23-2011, 04:49 PM
What a great video that was of the Denver-Seattle game. I was actually at the game and still have the ticket stub. I am from Georgia and was visiting my aunt and uncle in Littleton, Colorado. Also went to Intersquad game at Nothern Colorado on July 30, 1983. What memories and Mile High Stadium was as loud. I saw the Denver Bears that year. I think they were AAA team of Cincinnati Reds. Anyway, thanks for the video memories. That was awesome