PDA

View Full Version : Athlon Sports Pro Football Annual

Traveler
07-10-2010, 07:09 AM
As one who still reads several Pro Football Annuals, I was struck by this one in particular because whomever the the writer was, his whole analysis for the Broncos came accross as very condescending. While most of what he says is true, I just didn't like the sarcasm throughout the review.

For anyone else who read the magazine, did it come across the same to you?

One part of the review that can't be argued is the following segment called "Outside The Huddle:"

Nothing to Show How much do the Broncos need their draft class of 2009 to step up this season? Consider this:

Robert Ayers, selected with the 18th pick, was supposed to put pressure on the quaterback. His sack toal as a rookie: ZERO.

Alphonso Smith, who intercepted seven passes as a senior at Wake Forest, impressed the coaches so much that they traded away this year's No. 1 to draft him in the second round in 2009: His interception total as a rookie: ZERO.

Tight end Richard Quinn cost the Broncos two third-rounders so they could move up to select him in the second round in the 2009 draft. His catch total as a rookie: ZERO.

The Epitome of Average This years Broncos won't have to be much better than average to improve upon last year season, when the Broncos were the very definition of average. Consider this:

The Broncos finished 8-8 overall, 4-4 at home, 4-4 on the road, 3-3 vs. the AFC West, 5-5 outside the West, and 2-2 against the NFC. Oh, and did we mention they outscored their opponents, 326-324? Not sure how they didn't finish 325-325.

Do you Know(shon) Big Gainers? The Broncos desperately need Knowshon Moreno to break some long runs. He carried the ball 247 times as a rookie and had two--count em', two-- carries of 20 plus yards. His backup, Correll Bucjhalter, havd five.
__________________________________________________ _____________

Since it's slow this time of year, I thought I'd throw this out here just to talk a litttle football and possibly get your comments. But it's really not much you can argue here, right?

Jagsbch
07-10-2010, 09:42 AM
Outscoring your Opponents is huge for a rookie headcoach and a team that was in transition from a zone blocking to a power blocking not to mention 4-3 to 3-4, how much more will McDaniels outscore his opponents, nw that he has made tremedous strides to bring the personnel up to speed with the dynasty scheme he brought over from the Patriots. 326-324? :beer:

Jagsbch
07-10-2010, 09:43 AM
BUMP with a C/P

How self deluted can you get?

Using the Broncos let go of smaller veterans to beef up the offensive line is lame.

Broncos had the 18th ranked rushing defense, how does replacing the weakest links on the interior of the unit not do more to help than hurt that Broncos?

Using the term veteran as a trump card to drafting the best center of the 2010 draft is stupid.

A power scheme equates to more than just the passing game, get a clue, how do you think Brady has been so successful? So in reality your argument has absolutely no legs whatsoever to stand on.

Raiders passing defense ranked 7th Broncos 3rd. Trying to excuse the success of a secndary that possess the best CB this decade is lauaghable, especially considering that McDaniels had to replace the entire starting defensive line. Raiders only had 2 less sacks than the Broncos so your argument is another joke, that really has you coming off as being so outclassed in this debate, that you are actually starting to come off as being a homer, and I am not even finished with you yet.

So your bases of dropping McDaniels is due to you writing off his and the players choice for DC? Tell all of us exactly how losing a DC who has done absolutely nothing to bring the rushing defense up to speed the past 5 seasons hurts the Broncos?

You on the one hand want to brag about this front 7 well what the hell for, that is what we all want to know considering they have been ranking 26th in 2009, 27 in 2008, 30th in 2007 in rushing defense? Are you starting to get the picture that school is in session? do you have your pen out are you taking notes?

If I am the new coach, you can bet your ass that Nolan would have beened canned. games are won and lost in the trenches, know and understand that.

What is a new DC going to do in Denver if not see to it that McDaniels defense get executed? Now why go out when you can just promote someone in house who is not already familiar with the scheme but with the players, players who respect the coach being promoted. Now if that is not a perfect fit in a glove I don't know what is, you playing your OJ card of it doesn't fit is stupid stupid stupid.

Especially considering the fact that the coach has made tremendous moves in the FA as well as the draft to bring in personnel to execute his scheme both on offense as well as defense, and ST's to Boot, gee I wonder where our ST's coach came from, how big of a spy can you get from a division rival, to get one of the top 3 coaches from the staff?? DUDE SHUT UP ALREADY.

Over 25 yards per catch average, iswell 25 yards per catch average, there you go trying to make excuses for success again? When will you ever learn? Is Mcdaniels going tohahve a rough time trying to employ the freakish game that Thomas brings to the table, considering the Patriots broke the NFL scoring record with another receiver who is actually called a freak? It is the coaches Job to utitlize the talent and so what your saying is the coach is not going to be able to use the freakish talent because he came from a different system, as if he is going to be a possession receiver who will have to be able to run good routes and know how to read defenses and such.

Broncos gave up the 3rd round pick to move up into the second to get a tackle, oops I mean a tight end, Richard Quinn.

Quinn had all of zero receptions last year, word is he has been dropping passing this spring, but make no mistake about it the tackle, I mean tight end is a hell of a blocker; but I digress.

Point being you don't have to know how to run routes or be from a team that had the same scheme in college in order to translate success from one level to another if you possess the talent and desire, not to mention a coach who not only knows how to exploit those talents but to polish the player to be great. The the Raiders get a 4th round pick for Randy Moss? LMAO

There is a ditinction between thorough and well informed, your reasoning is grossly misinformed, though I could have spent more time dialing you in, considering how desperately in need you are in regards to the matter, I unfortunately have to figure out how not to spend $220 dollars on a $.02 cent grommet that attatches to the linkage cable and the shifter bracket in my saturn that I just bought for $500. The thing runs great, dealer refuses to sell plastic gromet piece alone. There is a reason why they don't make things the way they used too, no money in it after the car is sold. LOL

BTW I am not even a Broncos fan, or any fan of any team in this division. You don't have to be a homer to have your reason flawed, being a fan spurrs pasions and emotions, our emotions can set us in an enertia to where we can find ourselves pass by a point that contradicts our position, your position as a Chargers fan has just had its way with you, in your attempt to downgrade what will be your teams biggest obstacle to staying on top. He can't blame ya, that is just what fans do...

That sound you just heard was your argument being flushed. The sound your hearing now is not having your bell rung, nope that is the school bell, class dismissed~!! Boom YAH
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/4...ent_id=2556786

atwater27
07-10-2010, 10:29 AM
As one who still reads several Pro Football Annuals, I was struck by this one in particular because whomever the the writer was, his whole analysis for the Broncos came accross as very condescending. While most of what he says is true, I just didn't like the sarcasm throughout the review.

For anyone else who read the magazine, did it come across the same to you?

One part of the review that can't be argued is the following segment called "Outside The Huddle:"

Nothing to Show How much do the Broncos need their draft class of 2009 to step up this season? Consider this:

Robert Ayers, selected with the 18th pick, was supposed to put pressure on the quaterback. His sack toal as a rookie: ZERO.

Alphonso Smith, who intercepted seven passes as a senior at Wake Forest, impressed the coaches so much that they traded away this year's No. 1 to draft him in the second round in 2009: His interception total as a rookie: ZERO.

Tight end Richard Quinn cost the Broncos two third-rounders so they could move up to select him in the second round in the 2009 draft. His catch total as a rookie: ZERO.

The Epitome of Average This years Broncos won't have to be much better than average to improve upon last year season, when the Broncos were the very definition of average. Consider this:

The Broncos finished 8-8 overall, 4-4 at home, 4-4 on the road, 3-3 vs. the AFC West, 5-5 outside the West, and 2-2 against the NFC. Oh, and did we mention they outscored their opponents, 326-324? Not sure how they didn't finish 325-325.

Do you Know(shon) Big Gainers? The Broncos desperately need Knowshon Moreno to break some long runs. He carried the ball 247 times as a rookie and had two--count em', two-- carries of 20 plus yards. His backup, Correll Bucjhalter, havd five.
__________________________________________________ _____________

Since it's slow this time of year, I thought I'd throw this out here just to talk a litttle football and possibly get your comments. But it's really not much you can argue here, right?

Wow! That book is right on! Go Athlon, I might just go buy their mag now and support good sports journalism.

Lonestar
07-10-2010, 10:43 AM
Try a junk yard for your Grommet. Might get it for few buck.

Other than that good post.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

atwater27
07-10-2010, 10:47 AM
Try a junk yard for your Grommet. Might get it for few buck.

Other than that good post.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

You could be a sports journalist.
You could predict Denver to go 16-0 every year, but only if Bowlen and McDaniels are in charge. It would be a respected sports column, too.