PDA

View Full Version : NFL Head of Officials on Todd Heap Offensive Pass Interference: 'I Don't Like It'

omac
09-13-2007, 09:04 AM
Wow, the head of officials basically implied that the ref made a bad call on what was supposed to be a game-tying touchdown by Baltimore. Good to know he's keeping them on their toes.

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/09/12/nfl-head-of-officials-on-todd-heap-offensive-pass-interference/

NFL Head of Officials on Todd Heap Offensive Pass Interference: 'I Don't Like It'
by Michael David Smith

Baltimore Ravens fans didn't like the offensive pass interference call that went against tight end Todd Heap, negating what would have been a game-tying touchdown catch.

It turns out that Mike Pereira, vice president of officiating for the NFL, didn't like the call either.

On NFL Network today, Pereira went over the tape and said of the official who made the call, "The judgment made is his to make. When I run it, I don't like it."

That's a rather shocking admission, for the boss of all the NFL referees to go on national TV (at least, if you consider NFL Network national TV) and say that a key play was botched like that.

But he's right -- it was a bad call, and I'm glad to see the NFL is holding itself accountable in this sense. The Bengals may very well have won the game anyway, but this call certainly hurt the Ravens, and now even the NFL acknowledges that it was the wrong call.

topscribe
09-13-2007, 10:03 PM
Oh yeah, bad call, sorry about that.

Before Pereira's admission: Ravens 0-1.
After Pereira's admission: Ravens 0-1.

Bad call, sorry about that.

Big deal. :coffee:

-----

Cleveland Rocks
09-13-2007, 10:10 PM
It may have been a bad call. But that call did not cost the Ravens the game.

The very next play the Bengals were called for Holding - giving the Ravens the Ball on the 2 yard line. Every single team (with the exception of the Ravens) would run the ball in such a situation.

omac
09-14-2007, 12:22 AM
It may have been a bad call. But that call did not cost the Ravens the game.

The very next play the Bengals were called for Holding - giving the Ravens the Ball on the 2 yard line. Every single team (with the exception of the Ravens) would run the ball in such a situation.

They already had the sure touchdown, so that was big.

But yes, I agree with you; too many "cute" playcalls ... just run the #*!*> ball! :tsk:

KCL
09-14-2007, 05:55 AM
I watched that game and if anything...it looked like it should
of been PI on the defense as they had a handful of jersey while
Heap made the catch.The game should of went to OT.

Of course I didnt care who won the game...;)

That was a crappy call by the refs and that sure isn't the last one
we will see this season....:rolleyes:

Tned
09-14-2007, 06:56 AM
For those that don't know, the last two seasons (at least), plus obviously this season, Mike Pereira has been doing a spot on NFL Total Access in which he reviews three or so plays that were controversial from the previous weekend.

Last year or the year before there was another tuck incident, there was the defensive holding call last year called against a linemen (which is pretty rare), etc.

Pereira has not been shy about stating when a call was bad. He doesn't just throw his refs under the bus, left and right, and he uses careful words like in this article, but if it was a bad call, he says it. Also, he often explains why a call went a certain way, which is nice to hear, because sometimes we don't know the little nuances in the rules.

TXBRONC
09-14-2007, 08:57 AM
They already had the sure touchdown, so that was big.

But yes, I agree with you; too many "cute" playcalls ... just run the #*!*> ball! :tsk:

Exactly, the Ravens brought McGahee in to pound the rock, that close to the goal line you don't screw around.

omac
09-14-2007, 09:21 AM
Exactly, the Ravens brought McGahee in to pound the rock, that close to the goal line you don't screw around.

Yeah, 4 chances to pound the rock in, with our superstar McGahee ... but no ... why not let our non-starter quarterback try to make the game winning pass instead. :confused:

BigBroncLove
09-15-2007, 02:25 AM
Well, I think it could have turned the tide in the game. It was a pass that did result in a touchdown, something the Ravens would of had regardless of their inability to get a few yards in four lousy plays. I understand that the Ravens were not executing properly, and also had some questionable play calling, but at the same time if it happened to our Broncos we would have been very upset with the call. Who knows what would have happened if the score was tied. The way Palmer looked rusty, the Ravens amy have been able to do something.

Bad call ref. Hopefully he isn't invited to the post-season refing duties where bad calls like that have no business helping to decide games.

broncosfanscott
09-15-2007, 05:21 PM

I was surprised McGahee didn't get the ball either. I mean you got him for a reason right? :confused: