PDA

View Full Version : montana vs elway 94' shootout on nfln

T.K.O.
07-09-2010, 04:28 PM
i know many can't stand to watch .....but i thought i would give you guys a heads up. one of the greatest battles i remember.
will be on nfln monday at 6 pm MST:elefant:
here's teaser.....
MNF's Greatest Games: Kansas City-Denver 1994
By Mike Diegnan
ABC Sports Online

On Nov. 11, the Raiders and Broncos played in the 500th regular season telecast of Monday Night Football. To celebrate, we asked fans to vote for their favorite MNF game. They selected the Jets' comeback over the Dolphins in 2000. Another of the top five games took place on Oct. 17, 1994, between Joe Montana's Kansas City Chiefs and John Elway's Denver Broncos.

It was the ultimate battle between two of the game's all-time greats. NFL enthusiasts could debate for hours who was the better quarterback, John Elway or Joe Montana, and on the night of Oct. 17, 1994, they would have gotten their money's worth.

Montana, in the twilight of his career, headed to Kansas City in 1993 after losing his job in San Francisco to Steve Young. In his first season with the Chiefs, he guided them to an 11-5 record and a spot in the AFC championship game. In '94, the three-time Super Bowl MVP led K.C. to the playoffs again in what proved to be his final season.

Meanwhile, Elway entered their '94 meeting without a Super Bowl ring. Deep in the back of his mind, he could remember when Montana and Co. blew him out in Super Bowl XXIV. That night in the 55-10 rout, Montana threw five touchdown passes whereas Elway was picked off twice.

Joe Montana was still magical in 1994.
Both were up to the challenge for their final showdown on Monday Night Football.

Northman
07-09-2010, 04:29 PM
Good battle, but we lost so i wont watch it. Ill just dig out some of the classic games where we win like when Portis runs for 15000 yds on the KC defense. lol

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
07-09-2010, 04:47 PM
two rings vs no rings....win

T.K.O.
07-09-2010, 05:06 PM
two rings vs no rings....win

?:confused:
elway had no rings at the time...but got 2 later:salute:

Shazam!
07-09-2010, 05:09 PM
Nothing memorable about heartbreaking crushing losses to me.

RedFalcon
07-09-2010, 06:48 PM
My first Broncos game seen on TV... Memories...

topscribe
07-09-2010, 06:50 PM
Nothing memorable about heartbreaking crushing losses to me.

Other than a clash between two of the greatest QBs in history. That to me is
worth watching. It happened long enough ago now that it doesn't hurt so much
today. Besides, Elway's Broncos beat KC in their own house on Elway's trip to
his first ring.

I could watch it. But it's all moot . . . I don't have cable . . .

-----

Shazam!
07-09-2010, 08:23 PM
Other than a clash between to of the greatest QBs in history. That to me is
worth watching. It happened long enough ago now that it doesn't hurt so much
today. Besides, Elway's Broncos beat KC in their own house on Elway's trip to
his first ring.

I could watch it. But it's all moot . . . I don't have cable . . .

If Denver had won that game it'd definitely be memorable.

If Montana was still the Chiefs' QB in 97 it woulda been payback.

Like beating Jax in 97 did nothing to dull the ache I still remember from 96. Payback was great, but I'll never forget how I felt then, crushed and knowing Elway was running out of time and his days were numbered.

T.K.O.
07-09-2010, 08:59 PM
that's why i prefaced the post with " know many can't stand to watch .....but "
i realize it's not a good time watching the broncos lose....especially when we have seen equal amounts of winning and losing for 6 years.....but it was an awesome duel between 2 of the all time greats,just the same

topscribe
07-09-2010, 09:18 PM
If Denver had won that game it'd definitely be memorable.

If Montana was still the Chiefs' QB in 97 it woulda been payback.

Like beating Jax in 97 did nothing to dull the ache I still remember from 96. Payback was great, but I'll never forget how I felt then, crushed and knowing Elway was running out of time and his days were numbered.

I know what you mean there. That playoff game against Jax still hurts. But
there was much more riding on that game than the one between Elway's Broncos
and Montana's Chiefs. In the latter, the Broncos lost a game. In the former,
they lost out on an expected trip to the Super Bowl . . .

-----

Shazam!
07-10-2010, 12:12 AM
In the former,
they lost out on an expected trip to the Super Bowl . .

If Denver had beat Jax they wouldve raped NE in the AFCCG. The Super Bowl is something else, but they definitely shouldve made it there.

As far as Im concerned, the 1996 Super Bowl has a big * next to it, because GB didnt face the best team, especially when our Broncos kicked the shit out of the Pats in Foxboro. Sometimes the best team doesnt always win.

Softskull
07-10-2010, 12:29 AM

Funny. I remember that day like it was yesterday. Crushed is exactly the right word. I spit every time I heard the name Micheal Dean Perry.

red98
07-10-2010, 01:03 AM
Funny. I remember that day like it was yesterday. Crushed is exactly the right word. I spit every time I heard the name Micheal Dean Perry.

get off the field fat ass!!!

T.K.O.
07-10-2010, 10:48 AM
If Denver had beat Jax they wouldve raped NE in the AFCCG. The Super Bowl is something else, but they definitely shouldve made it there.

As far as Im concerned, the 1996 Super Bowl has a big * next to it, because GB didnt face the best team, especially when our Broncos kicked the shit out of the Pats in Foxboro. Sometimes the best team doesnt always win.

same could be said for 98' we should have been facing the vikings....would have been a much tougher game for the broncos to go back to back.
i was actually really bummed when atlanta got in because the 2 best teams in the league were denver and minnisota

atwater27
07-10-2010, 11:04 AM
same could be said for 98' we should have been facing the vikings....would have been a much tougher game for the broncos to go back to back.
i was actually really bummed when atlanta got in because the 2 best teams in the league were denver and minnisota

We lucked out on that one. Randy Moss would have demolished Jerry Rice's super bowl records.

Ravage!!!
07-10-2010, 11:09 AM
GREAT game... GREAT game. SOmetimes you lose great games, but that doesn't take away from watching and enjoying one of the ALL-TIME great match-ups.

I wish I had NFLN