PDA

View Full Version : The best draft ever.

silkamilkamonico
07-08-2010, 05:27 PM
Did Denver get the best draft ever assembled?

Tim Tebow - the next great NFL QB. This guy is unparalled when it comes to his desire to win.

Demaryious Thomas - Dude's beastly like Brandon Marshall, but without attitude.

Eric Decker - the next Ed McCaffrey, who is arguably one of the best complimentary WR's during his tenure with Denver.

Zane Beadles - This guy is one of the smartest player sin the draft, AND he can play any oline position. Quietly, he might just be Denver's best value pick when all is said and done due to his versatility.

JD Walton - this dude is just nasty. Will start from day 1 and have many pro bowls throughout his career.

Perrish Cox - Is McGenius a stellar drafter or what? He just pulled this guy, who is easily a first round talent and possible Pro Bowl player for years to come, in the 5th round. Unbelievable!

I see 4, maybe 5 possible HoF players in this draft. Convince me this isn't the best draft in the history of the NFL!

Northman
07-08-2010, 05:34 PM
None have played a down yet so no, they are not HOF.

underrated29
07-08-2010, 05:39 PM
well well well. Someone is happy.

ummmm,.....

I see starters out of:

Tebow
DT
JD
Cox
Eric olsen
Decker (because we do not have a lot of great talent at WR)

So sure- 5 players who all become solid starters- yeah, i see that. I think beadles will be solid but a backup unless we lose an injury or harris walks.

Shazam!
07-08-2010, 05:46 PM
The odds are against them all becoming successful FT starters, if Tebow, Thomas, Walton or Beadles develop into starters, then it's all worth it.

underrated29
07-08-2010, 05:49 PM

North are you wet? Do you feel that? This post is dripping with sarcasm.

Lonestar
07-08-2010, 05:50 PM

Tim Tebow - the next great NFL QB. This guy is unparalled when it comes to his desire to win.

Eric Decker - the next Ed McCaffrey, who is arguably one of the best complimentary WR's during his tenure with Denver.

Zane Beadles - This guy is one of the smartest player sin the draft, AND he can play any oline position. Quietly, he might just be Denver's best value pick when all is said and done due to his versatility.

JD Walton - this dude is just nasty. Will start from day 1 and have many pro bowls throughout his career.

Perrish Cox - Is McGenius a stellar drafter or what? He just pulled this guy, who is easily a first round talent and possible Pro Bowl player for years to come, in the 5th round. Unbelievable!

I see 4, maybe 5 possible HoF players in this draft. Convince me this isn't the best draft in the history of the NFL!

Hof players probably not but It is looking like the best draft by the broncos in a LOOOOOONG time.

They could easily be ROF players in DEN if they stay past their rookie contracts.

arapaho2
07-08-2010, 06:02 PM

pretty sure the 06 draft has already produced 3 probowl players...one superbowl ring and 5 of the seven players were starters last season...six if you count schefflers role as pass catching TE

thats a hard draft to beat

T.K.O.
07-08-2010, 06:06 PM

i know your not serious.....how do i know you ask ?
you left out future HOF'r....my man............................................... .....
SYD'QUAN THOMPSON !

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/cal/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/5049924.jpeg

TXBRONC
07-08-2010, 06:19 PM
So Silk what is your point with all this sarcasim?

silkamilkamonico
07-08-2010, 06:26 PM
I have sipped the kool aid of "blind ignorant optimism".

I would give an example of what I mean exactly, but the season starts in 2 months, and that isn't nearly enough time to collaborate all the "Tim Tebow is God, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit Trinity" threads into one.

GGMoogly
07-08-2010, 06:26 PM

:lalala:

GGMoogly
07-08-2010, 06:39 PM

I would give an example of what I mean exactly, but the season starts in 2 months, and that isn't nearly enough time to collaborate all the "Tim Tebow is God, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit Trinity" threads into one.

You'll be a happier person for it, brother! :welcome:

Dean
07-08-2010, 07:16 PM

Yep, the '74 Steelers were nobodies compared to this draft.

Tned
07-08-2010, 07:21 PM

Not sure if this is meant as a joke/sarcasm or real.

T.K.O.
07-08-2010, 07:28 PM

then you sir....have not been paying attention:D

elsid13
07-08-2010, 07:42 PM
well well well. Someone is happy.

ummmm,.....

I see starters out of:

Tebow
DT
JD
Cox
Eric olsen
Decker (because we do not have a lot of great talent at WR)

So sure- 5 players who all become solid starters- yeah, i see that. I think beadles will be solid but a backup unless we lose an injury or harris walks.

Just wait til next draft .......

TXBRONC
07-08-2010, 08:08 PM

That may be true of some people but I think the vast majority of people are taking a wait and see approach. I'm hoping that these players will develop into solid maybe great. I also know it remains to be seen so I'm not going proclaim them to be HOF ready before they have even played a down but I'm also not going to write them off before they have played a down.

I think you're being to harsh with the Tim Tebow is God comment. The fans that have come here since Tim was drafted might be over the top to one degree or another but you're comment seems to be a little to harsh imho.

jhildebrand
07-08-2010, 08:18 PM

The Ed McCaffery comment was a dead giveaway. Unless Silk changed his mind and attitude since this morning? :confused:

Tned
07-08-2010, 08:32 PM

No, mostly I haven't been paying attention. Most of the loudest posters right now just talk past each other and have no real interest in discussing things. I'm just biding my time for TC to start.

T.K.O.
07-08-2010, 09:00 PM
No, mostly I haven't been paying attention. Most of the loudest posters right now just talk past each other and have no real interest in discussing things. I'm just biding my time for TC to start.

we're all just a little "keyed up" over the syd'quan thompson signing !:elefant::beer::eek:

TXBRONC
07-08-2010, 09:01 PM
we're all just a little "keyed up" over the syd'quan thompson signing !:elefant::beer::eek:

No not really. :D

Tned
07-08-2010, 09:10 PM

Didn't even know he had signed Guess we don't have to worry about any of our "big name" rookies holding out now.

As a followup to your "paying attention". With the exception of a few people on either side that fall in the zealot category, I couldn't tell you who is a so called "Josh Hater" and who is a so called "Josh Lover".

I have always been this way. I focus simply on reading content, not paying much attention to who's posting it, and then posting my thoughts/opinions. Life is too short to get into message board wars, so while I will debate a topic I am passionate about, I don't get into the cliques and factions that often spring up. Therefore, more times than not, except for the zealots, I can't tell you who's on what side of an argument/topic/issue/whatever.

underrated29
07-08-2010, 10:00 PM
Just wait til next draft .......

Dude we do not have anymore players to trade for picks......

oh wait-

Champ
DJ
Clady
Harris
Prater

I do suppose next years draft could be pretty stellar too.

guitarj
07-08-2010, 10:47 PM
Yes. I caught it and I am probably not considered a regular here:D

WARHORSE
07-09-2010, 05:09 AM

Are you seriously asking us to or just merrily rambling along? ;)

If so, I must say Id rather not move to squash your vision of what could be for the sake of abilities given a man...........instead.........choosing rather to join in your optimism, as grandiose as it may be.

May the God of football and all there is grant your vision to come true.:salute:

Dirk
07-09-2010, 05:25 AM

Outside of the HOF comment, you are right on target with the outlook on them. :listen:

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
07-09-2010, 05:39 AM
Sarcasm or did you get some good whoopie

broncophan
07-09-2010, 05:49 AM

Well......if it is on the (your) broncosforums message board......it must be real....

Nomad
07-09-2010, 06:25 AM

This was my first thought as well not knowing the intent of the OP after reading is write up. But I hope he is right even though it's sarcasm!

Pretty much!!

SOCALORADO.
07-09-2010, 07:51 AM

If Tim Tebow disagrees with you, it's is because you are wrong.

Tempus Fugit
07-09-2010, 12:15 PM
Every year, 32 NFL teams have a great draft. This should come as a surprise to nobody, because most players drafted for the NFL were top level players on their team in college. The great drafts tend to start becoming less impressive over the course of training camp, so people being optimistic before that is pretty much a given.

Tned
07-09-2010, 12:21 PM
Every year, 32 NFL teams have a great draft. This should come as a surprise to nobody, because most players drafted for the NFL were top level players on their team in college. The great drafts tend to start becoming less impressive over the course of training camp, so people being optimistic before that is pretty much a given.

And, as has been oft pointed out, it really takes 2-3 years to get a good feel for how good or bad you draft is, because rarely do rookies make an impact (it varies by position).

rationalfan
07-09-2010, 12:24 PM
yes, this might have truly been the best broncos draft ever, but not because of the players selected. The mastery McD and Xanders showed trading down to stockpile picks so they could move back into the first round was brilliant. no hyperbole. truly brilliant. the moves worked so well they felt orchestrated to the point the broncos controlled the first round of the draft after starting with only one pick.

i also think the late round moves to acquire extra picks for some defensive players were smart.

Tned
07-09-2010, 12:31 PM
yes, this might have truly been the best broncos draft ever, but not because of the players selected. The mastery McD and Xanders showed trading down to stockpile picks so they could move back into the first round was brilliant. no hyperbole. truly brilliant. the moves worked so well they felt orchestrated to the point the broncos controlled the first round of the draft after starting with only one pick.

i also think the late round moves to acquire extra picks for some defensive players were smart.

Some on here felt that two many picks were used moving up for Tebow, but I am in the same camp as you. The did an awesome job of using their picks to move back and stockpile with the SOLE purpose of then using those picks to move back up to get Tebow.

I don't think there is any weight to the argument of "it doesn't matter how you got those picks, it was too much for Tebow". The fact is that he went in with (going by memory now) a 1st, two 2nds, a 3rd and a 4th, and changed that to two 1sts, a 2nd, 3rd and 4th or something very close to that.

Time will tell if Thomas and Tebow were good picks (I really like the Tebow pick and am fairly high on the Thomas pick), but regardless of how they work out, the moving up and down the draft board was VERY well executed.

Lonestar
07-09-2010, 12:35 PM

OH OH you be in big trouble now.

Good post that was an enjoyable side show at the least.

It will take a few years but I'll hazard a guess that these players mentioned will be solid contributors to the team as well as make it through to get an additional contract with us after their rookie contract is over.

That would be refreshing as price, DJ Williams and Al Wilson were ABOUT the only ones from 2000 on to make that feat. Might have been a couple of others but that is about it at least the only ones that stayed with the team and actually contributed to being mediocre for those years.

silkamilkamonico
07-09-2010, 01:07 PM
I do in fact really like 2 things in this draft.

1)Mcdaniels drafted high character guys who seem to want to stand for something more than themselves.

2)Beedles and Walton, who I think can be high value guys to what is arguably the most important unit of a team's success.

T.K.O.
07-09-2010, 01:19 PM
I do in fact really like 2 things in this draft.

1)Mcdaniels drafted high character guys who seem to want to stand for something more than themselves.

2)Beedles and Walton, who I think can be high value guys to what is arguably the most important unit of a team's success.

and......SYD'QUAN THOMPSON !

TXBRONC
07-09-2010, 03:10 PM

It not a real problem for some, because they understand that a lot rookies wont make an immediate impact and that more than likely take a two to three years to actually have if a draft class is good or bad.

TXBRONC
07-09-2010, 03:19 PM

If none of the players are successful manipulating the the draft board doesn't mean much. I give McDaniels credit for getting the players he wanted but imho it can't be claimed as truly brilliant unless this draft class has success.

Maybe a better way to say it that if this draft class is successful then it validates as being brilliant.

rationalfan
07-09-2010, 05:51 PM
If none of the players are successful manipulating the the draft board doesn't mean much. I give McDaniels credit for getting the players he wanted but imho it can't be claimed as truly brilliant unless this draft class has success.

Maybe a better way to say it that if this draft class is successful then it validates as being brilliant.

i disagree. there's an acumen to manipulating the status quo of anything. regardless of how these players turn out, the broncos' power players showed a very high aptitude to working the draft system. their display of knowing and taking advantage of the system was brilliant in itself.

the players they picked fall under the talent evaluation category. to this point in McD's and Xanders' career, they haven't been brilliant at talent evaluation.

TXBRONC
07-09-2010, 07:03 PM
i disagree. there's an acumen to manipulating the status quo of anything. regardless of how these players turn out, the broncos' power players showed a very high aptitude to working the draft system. their display of knowing and taking advantage of the system was brilliant in itself.

the players they picked fall under the talent evaluation category. to this point in McD's and Xanders' career, they haven't been brilliant at talent evaluation.

If this draft class doesn't do well history wont look at all the manuerving as brilliant. Three years ago Herm Edwards was praised for how his manipulation of the draft that didn't workout to well for him.

We can separtate the manuvering from the evaluating but I just don't think history will.

honz
07-09-2010, 10:23 PM

Best draft ever? Doubtful, but definitely top 5 draft of all time.

underrated29
07-09-2010, 11:03 PM
to this point in McD's and Xanders' career, they haven't been brilliant at talent evaluation.

Why would you say that?

Knowshon- great talent
Ayers- too soon to tell, but super high ceiling
phonz- you might be right here...So far he is not looking so good
darcel mcbath- great talent
richard quinn-too soon to tell, but solid solid blocker, and we do not really use the scheffler/witten type TE
Bruton- good talent, filled in well last year and ST stud!
Seth Olsen- we shall see
Brandstater- who knows, he was a 6th rdr so who cares
Chris baker- UFDA- some think he may start, but he made the roster

Then we evlauated and brought in:

Andre goodman- Solid CB- underrated and awesome for us last year
Ronald hill- solid vet S
Dawk- Need I say more
Andre - ??? Well we cut him, but i dunno, sure maybe. Hagan takes his spot.
Jamal williams- One of the top 5 NT in the game today
Lekevin smith- ok he is not very good, but we traded a 5th?
Hockstein- blows- bad talent there.
The long snapper paxton- ummm he did well....

Id say they are doing pretty well at evaluating talent. What do you think?

TXBRONC
07-09-2010, 11:35 PM
Why would you say that?

Knowshon- great talent
richard quinn-too soon to tell, but solid solid blocker, and we do not really use the scheffler/witten type TE
Seth Olsen- we shall see

Ronald hill- solid vet S
Dawk- Need I say more

I think on last year's picks the jury is still out. Only Moreno and Ayers got significant playing last year. We saw flash of what could be the start of great player in Moreno. Ayers and McBath showed some flashes but not as much Knowshon. The others didn't play that much so kind of hard to say imho. I'm not down on them but I thinks to soon to tell on all of them.

I think you covered the free agents pretty well. Paxton did a good job but we're paying him more than we would have for Leach. We didn't really gain anything with Paxton but we didn't lose anything either accept for what he being paid in comparison to Leach.

rationalfan
07-10-2010, 10:35 AM
Why would you say that?

Knowshon- great talent
Seth Olsen- we shall see

Ronald hill- solid vet S
Dawk- Need I say more

they are doing well. but it's not "brilliant."

Ravage!!!
07-10-2010, 12:10 PM

I agree with this.

Its the same thing as saying that "the game plan was brilliant." Well, its only brilliant if it succeeds. Game plans aren't considered brilliant when they fail. If the draft picks turn out to be successful, the maneuvers will be looked upon as brilliant. If they don't, then they will be looked upon as doing a lot of moving for nothing, or spending a lot for unsuccessful players. That's just something we'll have to wait and see on.

TXBRONC
07-10-2010, 12:26 PM
I agree with this.

Its the same thing as saying that "the game plan was brilliant." Well, its only brilliant if it succeeds. If the draft picks turn out to be successful, the maneuvers will be looked upon as brilliant. If they don't, then they will be looked upon as doing a lot of moving for nothing, or spending a lot for unsuccessful players. That's just something we'll have to wait and see on.

On one level I can applaud the strategy and give McDaniels props for having the stones to make the moves that he did. But the way I see it the moves are tied to picks more so to Tebow because he seems to be reason all those moves were made. Hopefully Tebow and rest of Denver's draft class eventually become successful if they do then I'll be more than happy to say the maneuvering was brilliant.

underrated29
07-12-2010, 01:13 PM
they are doing well. but it's not "brilliant."

Who would you have liked to see us draft or sign UFDA or FA to make it brilliant?

Not calling you out or trying to drink any more koolaid, but i mean Who did we miss in FA that would have made it brilliant? Boldin?

Or the draft?- Brandon Graham? The OT the faid got (forget his name), Mt. Cody?

Honestly, I know those players would have helped, but even with boldin, and cody instead of tebow and jamal will.....I do not see how we would be any closer to brilliant.....

Point I am getting at is, even with all the options available, trading for tebers not trading for him, signing high priced FA, had we gotten one or all of them would it be called brilliant?
IMO- no- So, knocking them for not being brilliant is unfair as brilliant is not something that was/is really attainable regarding the circumstances our team is/was in.

underrated29
07-12-2010, 01:18 PM
Lets say we draft orakpo (who on this team would not have as many sacks) instead of ayers, lets say we take jarius byrd instead of phonz, lets say we sign boldin, and forget about tebow and take brandon grahm at 11 or wherever we were at....

Would that be brilliant? - I am using hindsight and I still do not think so. I would say it might be better, but still falling short of brilliant.....

What do you think? I am not a jMFmc crotch rider, but imo as bias as I can be I think they have done above average borderline great job of evaluating talent and players. yes players like phonz really eff things up, but guys like cox, walden make up for it. ( i hope)

Northman
07-12-2010, 01:27 PM
Lets say we draft orakpo (who on this team would not have as many sacks) instead of ayers, lets say we take jarius byrd instead of phonz, lets say we sign boldin, and forget about tebow and take brandon grahm at 11 or wherever we were at....

Would that be brilliant? - I am using hindsight and I still do not think so. I would say it might be better, but still falling short of brilliant.....

What do you think? I am not a jMFmc crotch rider, but imo as bias as I can be I think they have done above average borderline great job of evaluating talent and players. yes players like phonz really eff things up, but guys like cox, walden make up for it. ( i hope)

Based on what? We havent even seen enough to warrant a honest opinion yet. I understand the comparison you made but neither senario is really brilliant until they actually contribute in a significant way to the team. I will say that McD moved up and down the board very nicely but i agree with the sentiment that nothing can be said to be "brilliant" until the picks actually pan out. Right now, its really just people who like said players and not based off anything they've done on the field at the pro level.

underrated29
07-12-2010, 02:26 PM
Based on what? We havent even seen enough to warrant a honest opinion yet. I understand the comparison you made but neither senario is really brilliant until they actually contribute in a significant way to the team.

Exactly.

So its kinda hard for them to be brilliant at drafting and evaluating talent when there is really no situation that could allow them to be brilliant.

Northman
07-12-2010, 02:27 PM
Exactly.

So its kinda hard for them to be brilliant at drafting and evaluating talent when there is really no situation that could allow them to be brilliant.

Hence why no one should be calling it brilliant. :lol:

underrated29
07-12-2010, 02:29 PM
Hence why no one should be calling it brilliant. :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

T.K.O.
07-12-2010, 02:46 PM
there is really no way to call the alphonso smith draft a bust either.at this point the guy has 1 season in the pro's.it has been reported he had an outstanding offseason.he is behind a great secondary in denver and will need to play almost perfect football to make up for his size (or lack thereof).
it does'nt surprise me in the least that his rookie season was less than stellar.
but there is no reason for the team (or the fans) to give up on a guy who showed for 4 years at the collegiate level he can play and play very well.
21 picks in college?
i think the jury is still out on the kid....and rightfully so.
here's one analysis of his draft value......so was this really such a big reach?

Alphonso Smith

5’9, 190 pounds | Wake Forest | Cornerback

Strengths: Smith is an excellent athlete with outstanding agility. Good high-point instincts to make a play on the ball. Good enough hands, Smith had 21 interceptions in his career. Always seems to know where a ball is being thrown to. Very good in zone coverage, particularly on short passes. Plays bigger than his size would suggest. Solid against the run. Excellent return man.

Weaknesses: Smith’s biggest weakness is his lack of desired height for a No. 1 cornerback. At times will take too many risks to make a play on the ball. Not the most sound of tacklers. Has some trouble taking down larger opponents due to his size. Struggles some against big receivers in man coverage.

Final word: If Smith were two or three inches taller, it’s likely he’d be consider a top-10 pick. He has optimum speed, agility and is willing to do the extras like play the run and return kicks. Even played some on offense during his college career. First team All American as a senior. Atlantic Coast Conference career leader in interceptions.

Round projection: 1

Lonestar
07-12-2010, 06:49 PM
Let's sum it up those that are not fans of Josh think it less than good.

Those that liked Josh moving up and down the board typo get the guys they wanted without "eaching for them" thought it was brilliant.

Count me on the jiust short of brilliant side.

FWIW getting good to GREAT college players O draft day is what it is all about.

It matters not how they play but for draft day he did good. Not a skell on the group.

Now just as it has always been can ANY player college or not play well in your scheme.

Just how many BLUNDERS have we had in the past with other coaches.

Reeves wasted a #1 on maddox. And so on.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

EMB6903
07-12-2010, 07:06 PM
Anybody who judges whether a CB is a bust or not based off their first or even 2nd year shouldnt be taken seriously.

Elevation inc
07-13-2010, 06:57 AM
MCD is a absolute stud and genius and getting who he wants in the draft(i absolutely love his boldness on draft day(minus the phonz deal...lol)).....however, It is yet to be determined by there play on the field if it was brilliant or not.....we saw rookie flashes of potential from some of the players, moreno, mcbath, bruton, mckinnely...but we saw negatives as well from moreno, mckinnely, ayers, olsen etc.... etc....and the promise is there for players like tebow, thomas, decker, cox, walton.....but the reality is a 2-3 year window is realy needed to determine if they are really brilliant selections.....

Its completely unfair to judge guys as bust after 1 year, the same way its BS to judge Guys studs after 1 year......a 2-3 year window at least gives you a consistent layout to go off of.....