PDA

View Full Version : Latest from Andrew Mason 7-7-10

Spiritguy
07-08-2010, 03:21 PM
Character Counts

The news about Vincent Jackson’s suspension calls to mind a lesson about how teams operate …

In April 2008, after six seasons with the Broncos, I interviewed with the Panthers and began getting to know another NFL franchise from its inside out.

It didn’t take long — halfway into my tour of the stadium, as I was shown the locker room — for the first lesson from one of the team’s executives who shepherded me around the place:

“Character counts in this organization.”

The executive proceeded to recall the long-expired portions of team history I already knew — the franchise quarterback who nearly drank himself out of the league and quit on the team, the ill-fated running back who yanked his crotch during an end-zone celebration, the wide receiver who arranged the murder of his pregnant girlfriend before hiding in a car trunk. Quite infamously, even the cheerleaders weren’t immune.

read the rest here (http://maxdenver.com/blog1/2010/07/01/character-counts/)

Tebow Defined Not By What He Is, But What He Will Be

Mid-summer represents the only opportunity the NFL calendar offers for a breather. But now, the countdown to camp is on, so frequent posts resume, starting with this question …

Alright I’ll ask it, just because everyone is dying to know and may not want to admit to asking it… How’s Tebow doing? Obviously he’s putting in an exuberant amount of time, but is it a figure skater trying to be a wrestler? From your expert eyes, how has his throwing motion/accuracy looked? Has he reverted back to old tendencies sometimes in practice?

Joel Vos

I think I can answer this in an anecdote.

When I was 13 years old, I sat in an awards ceremony at a theatre hall and listened to the superintendent of the local school district tell us, “You are what you are becoming.” In other words, you’re not defined by who you’ve been, or even who you are at a particular moment, but what you are growing, striving and learning to be. This fits Tebow perfectly.

read the rest here (http://maxdenver.com/blog1/2010/07/06/reply-guaranteed-tebow-defined-not-by-what-he-is-but-what-he-will-be/#more-576)

TXBRONC
07-08-2010, 04:21 PM
Nice job Spirit.

This quote below is important for everyone to grasp:

He’s already grasped the first, most vital lesson a young pro must learn: what you didn’t in college doesn’t mean diddly-poo here.

WARHORSE
07-09-2010, 05:02 AM
http://maxdenver.com/blog1/2010/07/06/reply-guaranteed-tebow-defined-not-by-what-he-is-but-what-he-will-be/#more-576

Andrew Mason

Mid-summer represents the only opportunity the NFL calendar offers for a breather. But now, the countdown to camp is on, so frequent posts resume, starting with this question …

Alright I’ll ask it, just because everyone is dying to know and may not want to admit to asking it… How’s Tebow doing? Obviously he’s putting in an exuberant amount of time, but is it a figure skater trying to be a wrestler? From your expert eyes, how has his throwing motion/accuracy looked? Has he reverted back to old tendencies sometimes in practice?

Joel Vos

When I was 13 years old, I sat in an awards ceremony at a theatre hall and listened to the superintendent of the local school district tell us, “You are what you are becoming.” In other words, you’re not defined by who you’ve been, or even who you are at a particular moment, but what you are growing, striving and learning to be. This fits Tebow perfectly.

He’s already grasped the first, most vital lesson a young pro must learn: what you didn’t in college doesn’t mean diddly-poo here. (And the elder Jim Mora probably put it in those exact terms back in his coaching days.)

Many will remember him fondly for his college performance, and justifiably so. However, after listening to him answer questions, I think his college days are as far from his mind as Cape Town from Dove Valley. That’s the first lesson an elite, honored college star must learn in the NFL. Whether he escapes the shadow of his college years in the eyes of the media, public, etc. is irrelevant; he’s moved on from it himself, evidenced by his earnest willingness to change. For many players, this lesson doesn’t take; the fact that Tebow has already accepted it is half the battle.

Check link for rest of story.............good commentary from Andrew.

Dirk
07-09-2010, 05:28 AM
Man I hope he sits a year and then comes in next year and shuts all the nay-sayers up!

Ravage!!!
07-09-2010, 09:46 AM
He's not going to sit a year.

SOCALORADO.
07-09-2010, 10:08 AM
Tim Tebow strongly abides by the motto: "Safety third."

TXBRONC
07-09-2010, 10:28 AM
I think Spiritguy has this up already as a thread.

Nevertheless it's a nice little article by Andrew.

Lonestar
07-09-2010, 01:01 PM
Character Counts

The news about Vincent Jackson’s suspension calls to mind a lesson about how teams operate …

In April 2008, after six seasons with the Broncos, I interviewed with the Panthers and began getting to know another NFL franchise from its inside out.

It didn’t take long — halfway into my tour of the stadium, as I was shown the locker room — for the first lesson from one of the team’s executives who shepherded me around the place:

“Character counts in this organization.”

The executive proceeded to recall the long-expired portions of team history I already knew — the franchise quarterback who nearly drank himself out of the league and quit on the team, the ill-fated running back who yanked his crotch during an end-zone celebration, the wide receiver who arranged the murder of his pregnant girlfriend before hiding in a car trunk. Quite infamously, even the cheerleaders weren’t immune.

read the rest here (http://maxdenver.com/blog1/2010/07/01/character-counts/)

Tebow Defined Not By What He Is, But What He Will Be

Joel Vos

read the rest here (http://maxdenver.com/blog1/2010/07/06/reply-guaranteed-tebow-defined-not-by-what-he-is-but-what-he-will-be/#more-576)

we learned a hard lesson from mikey and all the money he squandered on questionable character guys.

Just what did anyone expect give a moron more money is going to turn him around.

All it does is give them more to get into bad situations with.

not all players that have good character are losers Dawkins is a perfect example on this.

Ray lewis is the other extreme, if I have a choice I;m going for the good guy cause the odds are a lot less he will be spending time at the commissioners office or in jail.

nevcraw
07-09-2010, 01:09 PM
hopefully Joshy will do better.

BroncoWave
07-09-2010, 02:04 PM
we learned a hard lesson from mikey and all the money he squandered on questionable character guys.

Just what did anyone expect give a moron more money is going to turn him around.

All it does is give them more to get into bad situations with.

not all players that have good character are losers Dawkins is a perfect example on this.

Ray lewis is the other extreme, if I have a choice I;m going for the good guy cause the odds are a lot less he will be spending time at the commissioners office or in jail.

JR are you ever going to shut the **** up about mikey? It was old 3-4 months ago, now it's just way past pathetic. If you spent half as much time talking about the players and coaches actually on our roster now instead of jay and mikey, this board would be much better off.

SOCALORADO.
07-09-2010, 02:07 PM
JR are you ever going to shut the **** up about mikey? It was old 3-4 months ago, now it's just way past pathetic. If you spent half as much time talking about the players and coaches actually on our roster now instead of jay and mikey, this board would be much better off.

Baileythebeast is against cruelty to animals, but isn't afraid to issue a stern warning.

claymore
07-09-2010, 02:15 PM

I like when He uses Rcsodak as a fellow voice of reason.

slim
07-09-2010, 02:25 PM
The topic of this thread is not JR.

Let's tighten it up in here, boys.

claymore
07-09-2010, 02:47 PM

Wee Woo

:mod:

TXBRONC
07-09-2010, 03:05 PM

I agree but it is also important not come in and derail the thread with baiting comments.

slim
07-09-2010, 05:53 PM
I agree but it also important not come in and derail the thread with baiting comments.

Post reported.

TXBRONC
07-09-2010, 06:51 PM
Post reported.

Fair enough.