PDA

View Full Version : Eric Decker for...

Tebow4Ever
07-08-2010, 12:58 PM
TMFW! I am seriously hoping this dude can get out there by the start of training camp. I may catch heat for this.But I think he's going to have a better year then D Thomas. The McCaffrey comparisons have been made, only time will tell. Will be interesting to see what his potential success might mean for Eddie Royal. Do we put Eddie outside? keep Decker in the slot? Hell, Im just praying Decker can knock Gaffney out of the starting lineup. Not a big fan of Jabar. Mcdaniels has given us the notion that he's going to be our starting #1. PLEASE GOD NO!

silkamilkamonico
07-08-2010, 01:02 PM
Dude has a glass gina. Very smart player but a walking glass piece. I personally think he will spend more time on the IR list than playing games.

DThomas is where it's at.

Tebow4Ever
07-08-2010, 01:05 PM
Dude has a glass gina. Very smart player but a walking glass piece. I personally think he will spend more time on the IR list than playing games.

He may surprise us all. Others have recovered from this type of injury and gone on to have great careers.

Lonestar
07-08-2010, 01:48 PM

Pray tell where do you get this info.

IIRC he started rx games in college and was looking at being a #1 round pick when he injured himslef.

Taking 4-5 games off the 38 he did play. That means he played prcatically all his career every game for those 4 years.

So please show me the light.

He is a Eddie Mac clone if he touches the ball it is caught. IIRC he dropped 13 passes out of 380+ passes thrown to him.

I see nothing that says fragile.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

silkamilkamonico
07-08-2010, 01:54 PM
Pray tell where do you get this info.

IIRC he started rx games in college and was looking at being a #1 round pick when he injured himslef.

Taking 4-5 games off the 38 he did play. That means he played prcatically all his career every game for those 4 years.

So please show me the light.

He is a Eddie Mac clone if he touches the ball it is caught. IIRC he dropped 13 passes out of 380+ passes thrown to him.

I see nothing that says fragile.

He missed 5 games due to injury. He was pulled out of 7 other games because of injuries. Different injuries. I watched almost every game he ever played in. He get's knicked up and misses plays almost every other week.

And the Eddie Mac comparisons are laughable. He isn't nearly as fast as Eddie, or as good of a route runner. He has very solid hands, and that is his strengths. The kid catches everything. People around here need to quit calling every tall lanky wide reciever "the next Eddie Mac". It's an insult to Eddie Mac.

dogfish
07-08-2010, 02:17 PM

decker has a glass 'gine?

please stop talking out your ass!

dude may indeed be a bit injury prone, but he is a tough ****in' hombre and then some. . . watch this play and tell me the kid hasn't earned some comparisons to easy ed. . .

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MtTh_FNIkP8&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MtTh_FNIkP8&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

yea, he held on. . . even ed woulda been proud of that catch. . . saying this kid has a glass 'gine is hilarious. . .

oh, and FTR he also came back and finished the game. . . real poosy. . . :lol:

Grover
07-08-2010, 02:19 PM
I think that Decker is more of a Tony Scheffler replacement than anything. Yeah, I know - different positions. But...

Tony didn't see the field a whole lot, suffered some injuries, but created some mis-matches and was very productive in the end zone as well as in the intermediate middle of the field. I see Decker used in that way as well, hopefully with a better team attitude.

Scheffler - 6'-5", 255 lbs, 4.54 40 time, 17 reps of 225 lbs at combine
Decker - 6'-3", 217 lbs, 4.54 40 time, 15 reps of 225 lbs at combine

T.K.O.
07-08-2010, 02:23 PM
Eric Decker

Eric Decker No. 87 Denver Broncos
Wide receiver
Personal information
Date of birth: March 15, 1987 (1987-03-15) (age 23)
Place of birth: Cold Spring, Minnesota
Height: 6 ft 3 in (1.91 m) Weight: 217 lb (98 kg)
Career information
College: Minnesota
NFL Draft: 2010 / Round: 3 / Pick: 87

Career history
As player:

Denver Broncos (2010–present)

Roster status: Unsigned draft pick
Career highlights and awards
N/A

Stats at NFL.com
Eric Decker (born March 15, 1987) is an American football wide receiver for the Denver Broncos of the National Football League. He was drafted by the Broncos in the third round of the 2010 NFL Draft. He played college football and college baseball at Minnesota.

Early years
Decker attended Rocori High School in Cold Spring, Minnesota, where he was a three-sport athlete.

2008 season
Decker finished his junior season with 84 catches for 1,074 yards and seven touchdowns.[1] He either sat out or played with leg injuries in several games.[2]

[edit] 2009 season
Decker began the season with the consistent, elite play that had been a hallmark of his Gopher career. Through 3 games, Decker is 6th in the nation in receiving yards, averaging 124.8 per game. Sports Illustrated columnist Stewart Mandel declared Decker the 3rd best wide receiver in college football, behind Oklahoma State's Dez Bryant and Georgia's AJ Green.[3]

On October 27, it was announced that Decker was going to miss the rest of the season after suffering a sprained foot against Ohio State.[4]

College statistics
Year Team G GS Rec Yards AVG LG TD
2006 MIN 13 12 26 378 14.5 39 3
2007 MIN 12 12 68 909 13.6 59 9
2008 MIN 12 12 84 1074 12.8 75 7
2009 MIN 8 8 50 758 15.2 53 5
Career -- 45 44 228 3,119 14.0 75 24

[edit] Baseball career
Decker played outfield for the Minnesota baseball team. He was selected in the 39th round of the 2008 Major League Baseball Draft by the Milwaukee Brewers and the 27th round of the 2009 Major League Baseball Draft by the Minnesota Twins.

broncobryce
07-08-2010, 02:28 PM
If he can hold up, I give him 50 catches

titan
07-08-2010, 02:42 PM
Decker reminds me more of ex-Bronco Steve Watson than Eddie Mac. All were similar in size (Watson 6'4 195 lbs Decker 6'3 217 lbs McCaffery 6'5 215 lbs). From seeing film Watson and Decker just seem to have the ability to gracefully snatch the ball out of midair with great coordination. Eddie Mac was more of a grinder, and a better blocker. All had great hands.

Watson was a free agent and Decker a draft choice. If Decker turns out as good as Steve Watson, bronco fans will be smiling

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/thgtvkC7_0M&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/thgtvkC7_0M&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Dreadnought
07-08-2010, 02:45 PM
Decker reminds me more of ex-Bronco Steve Watson than Eddie Mac. All were similar in size (Watson 6'4 195 lbs Decker 6'3 217 lbs McCaffery 6'5 215 lbs). From seeing film Watson and Decker just seem to have the ability to gracefully snatch the ball out of midair with great coordination. Eddie Mac was more of a grinder, and a better blocker. All had great hands.

Watson was a free agent and Decker a draft choice. If Decker turns out as good as Steve Watson, bronco fans will be smiling

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/thgtvkC7_0M&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/thgtvkC7_0M&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

I would be happy with another Watson, for sure

T.K.O.
07-08-2010, 02:52 PM
i seriously hope decker gets off to a better start than eddie mac.....mac only started 9 games in his first 5 years in the league and only made 1 pro bowl in98'(his 8th year) i dont think he will be allowed that much time to develop in denver.
dont get me wrong easy eddie was one of my all time fav's and left everything he had on the field....but we need recievers NOW !
the similarities are there ,hell they even have the same # on their jerseys:laugh:
and decker was drafted only 5 spots higher,but even with the lisfranc injury he was expected to be gone in the 2nd round by many scouts,and probably would have been a low 1st high 2nd without the injury.
and last but not least his initials are E.D..............spooky:shocked:

silkamilkamonico
07-08-2010, 03:15 PM
decker has a glass 'gine?

please stop talking out your ass!

dude may indeed be a bit injury prone, but he is a tough ****in' hombre and then some. . . watch this play and tell me the kid hasn't earned some comparisons to easy ed. . .

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MtTh_FNIkP8&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MtTh_FNIkP8&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

yea, he held on. . . even ed woulda been proud of that catch. . . saying this kid has a glass 'gine is hilarious. . .

oh, and FTR he also came back and finished the game. . . real poosy. . . :lol:

Glass 'gine? wtf are you talking about? injury prone = glass gina. Just like Ryan torain.
According to half of this board, Kevin Kasper made some plays that looked alot like easy ed. Yea, I never forgot that.

:coffee:

WARHORSE
07-08-2010, 03:21 PM
i seriously hope decker gets off to a better start than eddie mac.....mac only started 9 games in his first 5 years in the league and only made 1 pro bowl in98'(his 8th year) i dont think he will be allowed that much time to develop in denver.
dont get me wrong easy eddie was one of my all time fav's and left everything he had on the field....but we need recievers NOW !
the similarities are there ,hell they even have the same # on their jerseys:laugh:
and decker was drafted only 5 spots higher,but even with the lisfranc injury he was expected to be gone in the 2nd round by many scouts,and probably would have been a low 1st high 2nd without the injury.
and last but not least his initials are E.D..............spooky:shocked:

True. And actually, when Im reminded of Eddie Mac, the Bronco on the roster right now that Im reminded of is Jabbar Gaffney. He is a late bloomer as well. Looking at his last few games with the Pats as well as his time here, he has done nothing except excel.

Go for it Jabbar.:salute:

underrated29
07-08-2010, 03:25 PM
Granted, I have not seen a lot of film on the guy. But I still do not understand all the hype that he is getting. I am thrilled that he catches everything, because that is imo the most important part, but.................

I do not know. He reminds me more of Nate Jackson than anyone. Now I have not done my homework on him, but Nate was the first person that came to mind when i saw one of his reels. I do like that he is a possesion wr. That will pay huge dividends for us. as Brandon was that but playing it in a diff position. now we have a guy who is that and can play that role only.

Still I do not think he cracks the lineup until at least next year at the earliest, injury aside......but we will see.

silkamilkamonico
07-08-2010, 03:33 PM
Granted, I have not seen a lot of film on the guy. But I still do not understand all the hype that he is getting. I am thrilled that he catches everything, because that is imo the most important part, but.................

I do not know. He reminds me more of Nate Jackson than anyone. Now I have not done my homework on him, but Nate was the first person that came to mind when i saw one of his reels. I do like that he is a possesion wr. That will pay huge dividends for us. as Brandon was that but playing it in a diff position. now we have a guy who is that and can play that role only.

Still I do not think he cracks the lineup until at least next year at the earliest, injury aside......but we will see.

Obviously because he's tall, rangy, and white, which make him the next ed mccaffrey. Being drafted in the third round only solidifies the other properties, thus, making him ed mccaffrey reincarnated.

TXBRONC
07-08-2010, 04:08 PM

Silk degrading the guy is uncalled for and you know it. That aside, you might be right but then again you could just as easily be wrong.

There have also been lots of players that have gone through college pretty much unscathed yet when the get to the NFL they struggle with staying healthy enough to stay on the field.

TimTebow15MVP
07-08-2010, 04:16 PM
Eric Decker= stud. as soon as hes healthy. Gaffney is a good football player i dont know why people are hating on him when all he does is get open and make plays for us. he might not be a number 1 but hes a guy worthy of a spot.

T.K.O.
07-08-2010, 04:19 PM
from walterfootball.com................................ .....................

Eric Decker Scouting Report
By Matt McGuire

Strengths:
Imposing size for his position
Very strong; shows power to get off jam
Adept to reading coverages and settling into zone
Aggressive runner off the catch; can break some tackles
Great hands and ball skills
Shows ability to adjust to poorly thrown ball
Elite concentration when ball is in air; good body control
Tough and will hang onto ball after big hit
Red-zone weapon
Knows how to take advantage of his size; plays as big as he is
Will go over the middle
Very good blocker
Does a good job of selling routes
Dips his hips and changes speeds in routes
Great character and work ethic

Weaknesses:
Doesn't show much upside after the catch
Lacks some agility
Doesn't have a second gear or explosive speed
Not much of a deep threat
Might struggle with bump coverage in NFL
Limited upside

Summary: Decker is the prototypical possession, No. 2 receiver in the NFL. Teams will know exactly what they will get with Decker because he will work hard on and off the field. He will never be a stat monster in the NFL, but he will draw away double teams and he is a major threat in the red zone to score with his size, body control and hands. Decker will probably go off the board in the late first to early second round.

Player Comparison: Kevin Walter. Walter is a very reliable possession receiver for the Texans, but doesn't have much upside.

TXBRONC
07-08-2010, 04:39 PM
from walterfootball.com................................ .....................

Eric Decker Scouting Report
By Matt McGuire

Strengths:
Imposing size for his position
Very strong; shows power to get off jam
Adept to reading coverages and settling into zone
Aggressive runner off the catch; can break some tackles
Shows ability to adjust to poorly thrown ball
Red-zone weapon
Knows how to take advantage of his size; plays as big as he is
Will go over the middle
Very good blocker
Does a good job of selling routes
Dips his hips and changes speeds in routes
Great character and work ethic

Weaknesses:
Doesn't show much upside after the catch
Lacks some agility
Doesn't have a second gear or explosive speed
Not much of a deep threat
Might struggle with bump coverage in NFL
Limited upside

Summary: Decker is the prototypical possession, No. 2 receiver in the NFL. Teams will know exactly what they will get with Decker because he will work hard on and off the field. He will never be a stat monster in the NFL, but he will draw away double teams and he is a major threat in the red zone to score with his size, body control and hands. Decker will probably go off the board in the late first to early second round.

Player Comparison: Kevin Walter. Walter is a very reliable possession receiver for the Texans, but doesn't have much upside.

I agree that I think Decker has the skills . But if Silk is right that Decker will be on the IR more than on the field those skill wont mean much. However, atm I'm not on board with Silk's assesement.

T.K.O.
07-08-2010, 04:47 PM
And the Eddie Mac comparisons are laughable. He isn't nearly as fast as Eddie, or as good of a route runner. He has very solid hands, and that is his strengths. The kid catches everything. People around here need to quit calling every tall lanky wide reciever "the next Eddie Mac". It's an insult to Eddie Mac.

just so you know
ed's ran a 4.57 when coming in to the league
decker 4.52
dez bryant.......4.52
:salute:

T.K.O.
07-08-2010, 04:52 PM
I agree that I think Decker has the skills . But if Silk is right that Decker will be on the IR more than on the field those skill wont mean much. However, atm I'm not on board with Silk's assesement.

these are the things that caught my eye.......

Shows ability to adjust to poorly thrown ball (this could be important:laugh:)
Red-zone weapon we need all the help we can get here;)

Lonestar
07-08-2010, 04:57 PM
the guy missed 6 games in his career, that is 6 starts total 5 of which were with the lisfranc injury. Even if he did not finish those games he was back next week start I do not see how he can be called fragile.

His hands are like glue once the ball is in range it is caught.

SOunds a lot like the only eddie mac to me and he was my hero. The guy was a timex "took a licking and kept on ticking" . There old advertising campaign from the days that many of y'all were just a gleam in daddies eye.

I have Eddies jersey in my closet as we speak.

now I have not spent hours looking at u tubes of him nor have I seen him play, I just know the ones I have seen he took some brutal hits and held on to the ball.

The big ten is not CUSA were marshall played they have the real thing in defenses in the big 10 maybe not as good as the SEC but the play big time football up there.

I'm only worried that the lisfranc is not healed yet since it take lots of time.

FanInAZ
07-08-2010, 05:24 PM
I would be happy with another Watson, for sure

Not bad for a slow poke white guy, but my favorite Watson moment didn't happen in that game. I was in '81 when the Broncos were pinned on their own 1 yard line at home against the Chiefs. Morton could only drop back about 5 yards before he threw it. As the ball was coming down, Watson was splitting 2 Chiefs DBs while running past mid field. The play went for 80 yards. Like I said, not bad for a slow poke white guy!

weazel
07-08-2010, 05:35 PM

I was thinking the same thing

Bosco
07-08-2010, 08:35 PM
But I think he's going to have a better year then D Thomas.

Highly doubtful that happens. Thomas is going to be our deep threat guy, while Decker will be behind Gaffney for the Y receiver position.

TXBRONC
07-08-2010, 09:19 PM
If Decker can be as productive as either Waston or McCaffery were that would be fine by me.

Spiritguy
07-11-2010, 12:29 PM
Here's an article from the MN Gophers site about Eric posted 9 July. The few words arent as interesting as the video. They also don't seem to recognize the difference between a leg injury and foot. Some nice comments from Cris Carter.

Minnesota alum and current Denver Broncos wide receiver Eric Decker was on campus this week, working out with the likes of Larry Fitzgerald and Cris Carter at Fitzgerald's offseason training camp.

Decker, still rehabbing a leg injury that prematurely ended his college career, has been cautiously preparing for his first season in the NFL after setting numerous records with Minnesota. The Cold Spring, Minn. native left college as Minnesota's career record-holder for receptions (227) and receiving yards (3,119) while his 24 career touchdown receptions are third most behind Ron Johnson and Ernie Wheelwright. Decker earned his second-consecutive first-team All-Big Ten selection in 2009 despite appearing in just eight games.

Even with the season-ending injury, the Denver Broncos selected Decker with the 87th overall pick (third round in this year's draft. The injury forced Decker to sit out of team drills at the Broncos' OTAs and minicamp, but he's finally back to football this week at Fitzgerald's camp before reporting to Denver's camp on July 26.

Gophersports.com (http://www.gophersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=8400&ATCLID=204966971) was able to catch up with Decker after a workout on Thursday...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDoEjf7q3vc