PDA

View Full Version : The Braves are the dirtiest team in MLB.

lex
06-11-2008, 09:52 PM
Seriously, they were throwing at Soriano last year because he torched them. Now they throw at him again and he's gone for 6 weeks. Seriously, Atlanta should be on the hook for paying his salary when he's out. This is ridiculous.

sneakers
06-12-2008, 05:15 AM
I dont' know what you are talking about lex, are we talking about the same game here? :confused:

The pitch was high and tight, but no where near aiming for him...he actually turned into the pitch like he was going to swing and that's why it hit his hand.

Also the pitcher after the game:

"That's terrible. I feel bad for him. But no means was it even close to being intentional," Atlanta catcher Brian McCann said. "We had him 0-2. We were trying to go in with a fastball, hopefully lock him up. Obviously it got away from him."

MOtorboat
06-12-2008, 08:21 AM
It's hard not to get hit when you lean over the plate like he does. I think Sutcliffe (a former Cub) explained it pretty well. Soriano was sitting on the pitcher's curve, and when the fastball came high and tight, he couldn't get out of the way, because he was expecting it to break.

If they were throwing at him, he would plunked him in the side.

If you want to see "dirty" just turn on the South Siders there in Chicago, now that's a team that throws at people.

Rex
06-12-2008, 08:28 AM
Whatever. How old are you Lex? I mean, this sounds like a 12 y/o.

MHCBill
06-12-2008, 08:42 AM
IMO... pitchers don't pitch inside enough.

If that's dirty... I don't want to be clean.

lex
06-12-2008, 09:10 AM
The Braves threw at Soriano last year after he torched them. Apparently they have a problem with Soriano. But to dismiss this as unintentional is the ultimate example of having ones head in the sand. I was actually at the game last night and when I saw the replay later you could definitely see that he kept his shoulder in so to direct the ball inside. ESPN guys are horrible, former Cub or not.

MOtorboat
06-12-2008, 12:04 PM
The Braves threw at Soriano last year after he torched them. Apparently they have a problem with Soriano. But to dismiss this as unintentional is the ultimate example of having ones head in the sand. I was actually at the game last night and when I saw the replay later you could definitely see that he kept his shoulder in so to direct the ball inside. ESPN guys are horrible, former Cub or not.

It was clearly not intentional by the way the pitcher and catcher reacted. Are you that dense?

And as far as them throwing high and tight after giving up a home run - have you ever heard of Sandy Koufax, Don Drysdale, Satchel Paige and Nolan Ryan?

Poet
06-12-2008, 12:28 PM
It was clearly not intentional by the way the pitcher and catcher reacted. Are you that dense?

And as far as them throwing high and tight after giving up a home run - have you ever heard of Sandy Koufax, Don Drysdale, Satchel Paige and Nolan Ryan?

Didn't Clemens do that early in his career?

MOtorboat
06-12-2008, 12:30 PM
Didn't Clemens do that early in his career?

Until baseball started this stupid "warning" system.

lex
06-12-2008, 12:48 PM

Players were making dirt compared to what they make now. Youre reference loses merit for that reason. Theres too much money in payroll on the DL just because the Braves have these petty scores to settle.

MOtorboat
06-12-2008, 12:54 PM
Players were making dirt compared to what they make now. Youre reference loses merit for that reason. Theres too much money in payroll on the DL just because the Braves have these petty scores to settle.

Well, I doubt money is the reason pitchers stopped throwing inside. Maybe their own money, because they will be fined.

But, if you want Soriano to not get hit, he should probably quit diving into the plate, especially on fastballs inside. That, clearly, was not an example of a pitcher throwing at someone.

lex
06-12-2008, 01:07 PM
Well, I doubt money is the reason pitchers stopped throwing inside. Maybe their own money, because they will be fined.

But, if you want Soriano to not get hit, he should probably quit diving into the plate, especially on fastballs inside. That, clearly, was not an example of a pitcher throwing at someone.

So now youve finally unearthed yourself. Just as I thought all along, the Braves are justified in headhunting because Soriano dives into the plate. Nice.

MOtorboat
06-12-2008, 01:09 PM
So now youve finally unearthed yourself. Just as I thought all along, the Braves are justified in headhunting because Soriano dives into the plate. Nice.

Except they would have to be head-hunting first.

If you were actually watching the game, which I doubt at this point, you'd clearly see that they were not targeting Soriano.

In fact, it's quite obvious, by their reaction, and the Cubs' reaction, everyone knew they weren't...except you.

Rex
06-12-2008, 01:11 PM
Except they would have to be head-hunting first.

If you were actually watching the game, which I doubt at this point, you'd clearly see that they were not targeting Soriano.

In fact, it's quite obvious, by their reaction, and the Cubs' reaction, everyone knew they weren't...except you.

Save your breath.

Lex is irrational when something negative happens to "his" team. Remember when MLB was screwing the Cubs with cold weather games?

MOtorboat
06-12-2008, 01:12 PM
Save your breath.

Lex is irrational when something negative happens to "his" team. Remember when MLB was screwing the Cubs with cold weather games?

:laugh:

Damn forgot about that one. Yeah, that was pretty stupid.

BroncoAV06
06-12-2008, 01:15 PM
Is there anything you don't bitch about? I was watching that game and it did not seem intentional at all. It happened, players get hit, Baker got a fastball to the head last year. You are standing in front of a 90+ mph baseball, Bennett was not even supposed to be the starter so the first thing on his mind was to throw at Soriano? Ok!

MOtorboat
06-12-2008, 01:15 PM
Well, I know what you think of journalists, and I'm SURE you think all these quotes are out of context, but here's the article out of the Tribune today...

Soriano out 6 weeks with broken hand

By Paul Sullivan | Tribune reporter
11:22 PM CDT, June 11, 2008

Alfonso Soriano was sitting at his locker before Wednesday's game against Atlanta when a clubhouse attendant placed a Soriano jersey in front of him and told him Braves pitcher Tim Hudson asked him to autograph it.

"No, that's the guy that hit me last year," Soriano replied, referring to a contentious series between the two clubs at Turner Field last June.

Soriano was joking and eventually signed the jersey.

But a couple of hours later in a 7-2 victory over Atlanta, Soriano was hit on the left hand on an 0-2 pitch by Braves pitcher Jeff Bennett in the second inning, suffering a broken bone that will force him to miss at least six weeks.

"A costly loss," Cubs manager Lou Piniella said. "No question. He was starting to run the way we thought he would, playing well in the outfield. It's a bad break for us, just an unfortunate thing.

"It's a shame, but those things happen in baseball. We have a farm system, and we'll utilize it. It's unfortunate, but what can you do?"

X-rays taken of Soriano's hand at Northwestern Memorial Hospital revealed a minimally displaced fracture of the left fourth metacarpal, which is located under the fourth finger on his left hand.

Soriano will be in a splint for the next three weeks, at which time the Cubs will have a better estimate of how soon he might be able to come back.

After another rough start, Soriano was hitting .284 with 40 RBIs and a team-leading 15 home runs.

The Cubs will call up Triple-A outfielder Micah Hoffpauir one day earlier than expected on Thursday to take Soriano's roster spot. Ryan Theriot is expected to move into the leadoff spot.

Bennett, who replaced Jair Jurjjens after the Braves starter injured his ankle falling down the dugout steps after Tuesday's game, was not accused of intentionally throwing at Soriano.

"No, the ball just got away," Derrek Lee said. "It wasn't intentional."

Winning pitcher Ryan Dempster said "people don't realize 'Sori' stands on top of the dish" when he bats.

"If you're going to go in, you better go in or it's going to wind up on Waveland [Avenue]," Dempster said. "It [stinks] because we're on the losing end of it. Be we can't let it get us down."

"While he's not here, we're going to have to pick up the slack," Theriot said.

"[Just] don't count on me getting a lot of leadoff home runs."

MOtorboat
06-12-2008, 01:19 PM
Did I mention that the Tribune Company OWNS the Cubs?

lex
06-12-2008, 01:58 PM
Well, I know what you think of journalists, and I'm SURE you think all these quotes are out of context, but here's the article out of the Tribune today...

And this proves what...?

lex
06-12-2008, 02:00 PM
Is there anything you don't bitch about? I was watching that game and it did not seem intentional at all. It happened, players get hit, Baker got a fastball to the head last year. You are standing in front of a 90+ mph baseball, Bennett was not even supposed to be the starter so the first thing on his mind was to throw at Soriano? Ok!

Sorry, theres too much history to be a coincidence.

MOtorboat
06-12-2008, 02:00 PM
And this proves what...?

That you can't read, apparently.

Winning pitcher Ryan Dempster said "people don't realize 'Sori' stands on top of the dish" when he bats.

"If you're going to go in, you better go in or it's going to wind up on Waveland [Avenue]," Dempster said. "It [stinks] because we're on the losing end of it. Be we can't let it get us down."

That, btw, is his own pitcher.

lex
06-12-2008, 02:03 PM
:laugh:

Damn forgot about that one. Yeah, that was pretty stupid.

No, you want to see stupid. Check out how I exposed a certain someone recently in the Rockies thread. Youre all over the place and often need to be sheherded in the right direction.

MHCBill
06-12-2008, 02:04 PM
Lex... the sky is blue.

Lex's reply, "No it's not!!!"

MOtorboat
06-12-2008, 02:05 PM
No, you want to see stupid. Check out how I exposed a certain someone recently in the Rockies thread. Youre all over the place and often need to be sheherded in the right direction.

You didn't own me, I chose to let people read through it and choose for themselves rather than respond. You make incoherent arguments and you argue just to argue. I was done with that.

lex
06-12-2008, 02:11 PM
Lex... the sky is blue.

Lex's reply, "No it's not!!!"

Today its blue.

lex
06-12-2008, 02:12 PM
You didn't own me, I chose to let people read through it and choose for themselves rather than respond. You make incoherent arguments and you argue just to argue. I was done with that.

No, you were engineering things that did not exist and I exposed this. It was a little cluttered because you were all over the place.

MOtorboat
06-12-2008, 02:31 PM
No, you were engineering things that did not exist and I exposed this. It was a little cluttered because you were all over the place.

My arguments are hard to follow?

Um, OK...

lex
06-12-2008, 02:34 PM
My arguments are hard to follow?

Um, OK...

I said they were all over the place...not hard to follow. More of the same.

BroncoAV06
06-12-2008, 02:37 PM
Yep because Bennett is so good that he picked his broken hand pitch and aimed right at his hand...Think he would be a full time stater with that kind of controll!

lex
06-12-2008, 02:38 PM
Yep because Bennett is so good that he picked his broken hand pitch and aimed right at his hand...Think he would be a full time stater with that kind of controll!

You could see on replay that he kept his lead shoulder tucked in.

Requiem / The Dagda
06-12-2008, 03:53 PM
Boo-hoo.

lex
06-12-2008, 04:07 PM
Boo-hoo.

yawn

Poet
06-12-2008, 04:23 PM

Did he look it up?

lex
06-12-2008, 04:35 PM
Did he look it up?

I have no idea if he looked it up. I kind of doubt it.