PDA

View Full Version : Where Are They Now? Jeremiah Castille

Broncos Mtnman
06-11-2008, 08:51 PM
Kyle allows me to post these for the boards. It's always interesting to see where yesterday's players are today.

I remember "The Fumble" like it was yesterday. It ended up giving us back-to-back appearances in the Super Bowl (The Drive took place the year before) with both wins coming against the Brownies.

Enjoy....

Ask any true Broncos fan if they know who Jeremiah Castille is and you will immediately see a smile start to build across their face.

In the 1987 AFC Championship game, Denver was playing host to the Cleveland Browns. Late in the fourth quarter, Denver was clinging to a 38-31 lead, but Cleveland was driving down the field looking to tie the game and send it into overtime.

At the Broncos 8-yard-line, Browns' running back Earnest Byner received a handoff and burst into the Denver secondary destined for the endzone.

Regrettably for Byner, destiny rested with Castille that day as the two collided near the goal line and the ball popped loose. Byner ended up in the endzone empty handed while Castille clutched a berth in Super Bowl XXII.

The play, which became known as "The Fumble," is one of the most revered plays in Broncos annals.

"That play gives me instant credibility with today's young people thanks to replays on ESPN Classic," sites Castille.

Castille was a third round draft pick out of University of Alabama by Tampa Bay in 1983. At Alabama, Castille earned All-American accolades under the tutelage of the legendary coach Paul 'Bear' Bryant.

"Playing for Bear Bryant wasn't easy, but my life philosophy was forged in those years," Castille said of his time in Tuscaloosa.

After suffering through four losing seasons in Tampa - including three 2-14 seasons - Castille missed playing for a winner.

His chance came when the Broncos claimed him off waivers in 1987.

"Denver was similar to Alabama in that the coach had a great relationship with his players and both programs are committed to winning," Castille said.

After the 1988 season, Castille stepped aside from playing football and delved into the coaching ranks.

He spent nine years coaching high school as well as some time at Howard University.

While coaching in high school, Castille had the rare opportunity of coaching two of his sons, Tim and Simeon.

"It was a blessing to be coaching my sons. Not every father gets that opportunity and I truly cherish that experience," Castille fondly reminisced.

The coaching from their father did the boys well, as both followed Dad's path going to Alabama and then on to the NFL.

"I know about the pressures of football so I didn't exactly want my sons to play, but it was their choice and they chose to go to Alabama to try and rebuild the program."

Today, Castille resides in Birmingham and is active with his foundation.

Started in 2001, The Jeremiah Castille Foundation mentors Alabama youth from middle school to college and also offers advice to young married couples.

In addition to his duties with the foundation, Castille also serves as the team chaplain for the University of Alabama football team.

-Patrick Brougham (Broncos Magazine)

scott.475
06-11-2008, 10:17 PM
Cool. Class guy.

Boy, did we ever terrorize Schottenheimer for a long time.

lex
06-11-2008, 10:42 PM
Good stuff. That play makes me realize how lucky weve been to have WRs who were productive when the didnt get the ball.

scott.475
06-11-2008, 10:51 PM
http://www.jeremiahcastille.com/

Kaylore
06-12-2008, 09:17 AM
I just watched the '89 Browns game (the non-fumble, non-drive one) and we looked awesome in it. Elway had a great game that day and some of the plays he made were just amazing.. That was a good a team even though it was our worst SB loss the game after.

BOSSHOGG30
06-12-2008, 09:20 AM
I really liked his boy from Alabama.. I was hoping that we would sign him but it didn't happen. I think that he will be a good football player. He might not be a star, but a good solid player.

shank
06-12-2008, 03:11 PM
I really liked his boy from Alabama.. I was hoping that we would sign him but it didn't happen. I think that he will be a good football player. He might not be a star, but a good solid player.

simeon was jeremiah's son? didn't know that

Broncos Mtnman
06-12-2008, 04:19 PM
I just watched the '89 Browns game (the non-fumble, non-drive one) and we looked awesome in it. Elway had a great game that day and some of the plays he made were just amazing.. That was a good a team even though it was our worst SB loss the game after.

I was at that game and it was awesome.

I had an interesting experience around that time. I used to work for FedEx as an Operations Manager. I was living in Denver but had to attend some training in Sacramento. It was a 2 week training with one week on, one week off, then the second week on again.

Anyway, the first week of training was right after we beat Cleveland to go to the Super Bowl. The first day of training we introduced ourselves. Feeling my Bronco Pride, I gave my name and stated that I was from "the home of the AFC Champion Denver Broncos." Of course, the 49ers had already won the NFC and so I took some grief with Sacramento being a short drive to SF. During the whole week of training, when we went out to dinner each day, I would wear my Broncos jacket and talked smack when the opportunity presented itself.

During the off week, the Super Bowl took place. As we all remember, we got spanked 55-10 in the most lopsided Super Bowl in history.

So, I get to go back to training after that embaressment. Needless to say, crow was the meal of the day every evening we went out to eat. I still wore my Broncos jacket, but I was the most quiet out of towner in the history of Sacramento that week.

Oh well. We made up for the next two times we went, didn't we?

I often wonder how successful we would have been if it wasn't the Brownies we played in those 3 AFC games in 4 years. Still, Castille made one of those games memorable, reminding the nation that Mile High Magic is real.

:D