PDA

View Full Version : Strides for McBath

WARHORSE
07-07-2010, 01:42 PM
By Eric Detweiler
DenverBroncos.com

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Darcel McBath cemented his status as one of the top safety prospects in the 2009 NFL Draft class with his performance at last February's NFL Combine.

But the former second round pick didn’t necessarily enjoy the intense, specialized training regimen that whipped him into shape to impress the Broncos with his testing results.

This spring, it didn’t take McBath long to realize he liked the pro offseason a whole lot better.

"You're not just working on the 40-yard dash and vertical jump and things like that," McBath said. "It's more football-oriented. I was mostly on the field, working on stuff instead of doing the combine training."

The more conventional offseason routine has proved just one benefit of shedding the title of "rookie." Now, he’s out to show how much difference a year makes for a young player. After grabbing a pair of interceptions and leading the team in special teams tackles in his debut season, McBath hopes to continue his maturation.

McBath has enjoyed learning on the job behind veteran safeties Brian Dawkins and Renaldo Hill. After spelling both players at times last season and playing a key part on several special teams units, the former Texas Tech standout hopes to increase his role this season.

The signs McBath is poised for such a step have been evident around Dove Valley in the months since his rookie season ended three games early with a broken right arm.

McBath said he’s learned to take better care of his body in preparation for the rigors of a long season. Even as he tries to learn the nuances of Don 'Wink' Martindale’s new scheme, McBath said he's been able to play more instinctively.

"It's night and day," McBath said of his growth over the past year. "I'm a little more comfortable--a little more vocal. I'm just trying to do my part."

At times, that's meant taking on more of a leadership role. During "opportunity practices" designed for younger players and newcomers to the squad in OTAs, McBath had a chance to shine.

Those practices granted some extra reps and chances to show what he's learned about commanding an NFL secondary.

"He does a good job communicating with the unit, and that helps everybody," Syd'Quan Thompson said after one of those workouts. "It's important for the safeties to make sure everybody else is in the right position."

McBath acknowledged leadership isn’t one of his major focuses, but he’s happy to be able to help. He understands the growing pains that come along with this time of the year.

"They ask questions every day," McBath said. "That's the best thing about this class. They're not afraid to ask questions. They're all smart kids. They get it like that."

Other teammates vividly remember when it was McBath trying to adjust to the pro game, constantly seeking counsel from secondary coach Ed Donatell and the Broncos' veteran safeties.

Wesley Woodyard, who played on several special teams units with McBath last season, said it's clear the young safety's growth since joining the Broncos has made the whole secondary better.

"He's been pushed by everybody to step up his game and compete and try to be better than the guys in front of him," Woodyard said. "I definitely think he's taking advantage of that."

But McBath knows it will take more than a newfound confidence to earn increased playing time. He’s not quite sure where he might fit into the new defensive plan, but he knows the next few months present an opportunity to show what he’s learned.

Standing in the shadow of the Dove Valley facility after an early June practice, McBath chose his words carefully when assessing his goals for the upcoming season.

"It depends on how I play (in training camp)," McBath said. "If I come in and play well, hopefully I can get a little more responsibility."

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=10219

underrated29
07-07-2010, 02:52 PM
I liked will moore better, and another S prospect, at the time of the draft. However, I like Darcel A LOT! He has made me do a 180 regarding the Safties from last year.....Was not thrilled at the time but am now. I like how he is progressing. Good pick.

Bosco
07-07-2010, 03:43 PM
Like this kid alot.