PDA

View Full Version : with Tebow how much do mechanics matter?

titan
07-04-2010, 08:07 AM
http://gazettebroncos.freedomblogging.com/2010/07/04/with-tebow-how-much-do-mechanics-matter/

With Tebow, how much do mechanics matter?
by Frank Schwab

For all the ink that has been spilled on Tim Tebow's mechanics (including a whole bunch in today's Gazette), two men who worked with Tebow this offseason want you to know something:

Mechanics don't matter all that much for a quarterback.

Former NFL coach Sam Wyche and longtime NFL offensive coordinator and current CFL coach Marc Trestman aren't saying mechanics are meaningless. Tebow has a better chance for success with the Denver Broncos without his long baseball-type windup. (Although, to repeat something from today's story, Wyche said he didn't think Randall Cunningham would make it in the NFL when he saw his long delivery coming out of college. Cunningham didn't change much, and as Wyche pointed out in a deadpan, "Randall Cunningham did all right.")

But both coaches started their interviews about quarterback mechanics by sharing the same sentiment.

"At the end of the day, mechanics are probably the last thing on the list or requirements to play quarterback at the highest level," Trestman said.
"That's very, very overdone," Wyche said of attention paid to a quarterback's mechanics.

Wyche said when he was in the NFL - and he was around many successful quarterback like Joe Montana, Ken Anderson, Drew Bledsoe, Vinny Testaverde and Boomer Esiason - he told scouts to look for intelligence and accuracy.
"The two most important components of a quarterback are those two things," Wyche said. "You'll always want to replace these two things if he doesn't have them."

For intelligence, a quarterback needs to know not just offensive concepts, but defensive concepts and theories too. Wyche saw that in Tebow when he worked with him this offseason. He said he quizzed Tebow relentlessly and Tebow passed all the tests.

"I tried to trick him at the blackboard every way I could think of," Wyche said. "I couldn't catch him."
Wyche also said Tebow's accuracy is good, especially on deep passes. So as Wyche was pointing out Tebow had the two things he looks for, he interrupted himself.
"By the way, if you've got a winner, that's like putting a smiley face on his locker," Wyche said.
Tebow was part of two national championship teams in his four years at Florida.

Although mechanics are not the most important thing Wyche or Trestman look for, that doesn't mean someone like Tebow can't be helped with some extra work.
"Mechanics can be overrated, but they can be improved," Trestman said.
Tebow has put in the time to fix his motion, including slowing down his torso rotation and keeping his right non-throwing arm in tight to his body to make his motion more compact (which was described in a Sports Illustrated story in mid-June) and not dipping the ball before he throws, which was his habit in college.

An improved throwing motion will help, but based on the thoughts of two respected quarterback coaches, one ha to wonder if the teeth-gnashing about Tebow's mechanics really has much bearing on whether he'll be a successful NFL quarterback.

"The guy is a winner," Wyche said. "I've been around too many that turned out good."

Lonestar
07-04-2010, 09:08 PM
Well now if he is smart on the field we have a winner. Superbowl here we come. :salute:
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

BroncoWave
07-04-2010, 10:26 PM
I love Tebow but even I'm sick of reading about him this offseason. This season cannot start soon enough at all. Come on August 15th!

GGMoogly
07-05-2010, 01:09 AM
Well now if he is smart on the field we have a winner. Superbowl here we come. :salute:
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Just tell Pat to clear some room. We're going to need more space for a couple of Lombardis before this kid is through! :salute:

MasterShake
07-05-2010, 08:06 AM
I love Tebow but even I'm sick of reading about him this offseason. This season cannot start soon enough at all. Come on August 15th!

I'm with you. Nothing cures speculation like reality! Even then, every time the starting QB misses a 3rd down the Roman Coliseum-like chants of "TEBOW!... TEBOW!" coming from the stands of Invesco will grate on me.

I just want it to be about Broncos football again no matter who starts. i'm sick of focusing on players. I'll always have favorite players, but its the experience of watching the team play that gets me pumped!

GGMoogly
07-05-2010, 08:15 AM
I'm with you. Nothing cures speculation like reality!

Reality, shmeality...welcome to July! Reality doesn't arrive until Sept. 12th. :D

MasterShake
07-05-2010, 09:00 AM
Reality, shmeality...welcome to July! Reality doesn't arrive until Sept. 12th. :D

You are correct. as of right now we are 16-0 and Tebow is on course for 60 Touchdowns!

T.K.O.
07-05-2010, 10:59 AM
You are correct. as of right now we are 16-0 and Tebow is on course for 60 Touchdowns!

you forgot to add his rushing touchdowns !:beer::elefant::salute:

Tned
07-05-2010, 01:40 PM
There is no doubt that his throwing style will make him more prone to have the ball stripped, and could slow down his release speed, meaning he misses small openings. However, even if he fails to change them, it doesn't mean he won't be successful. There have been plenty of guys too short to be successful. Or, who threw sidearmed. Or, who had a long windup.

If he can change his mechanics and still play at as high a level, it would be better, but there is no indication that failure to do so will prevent him from being successful.

TXBRONC
07-05-2010, 02:54 PM
Rivers has some bad quarterbacking habits. He holds the ball about waist high instead of up around his ear, he also holds the ball away from his body, and has a little bit of wind up. Those bad habits have made him prone to being stripped of ball when pressure get to him. Even so he still for the most part has quick enough delivery and he throws with accuracy. (bastage :tsk:)

GGMoogly
07-05-2010, 04:19 PM
Rivers has some bad quarterbacking habits. He holds the ball about waist high instead of up around his ear, he also holds the ball away from his body, and has a little bit of wind up. Those bad habits have made him prone to being stripped of ball when pressure get to him. Even so he still for the most part has quick enough delivery and he throws with accuracy. (bastage :tsk:)

Rivers' main problem is that he's Rivers...the smarmy, little...:rant:

T.K.O.
07-05-2010, 04:24 PM
Rivers' main problem is that he's Rivers...the smarmy, little...:rant:

and his new "main problem".....being in the same division....conference....hell.... sport as one TIM TEBOW !:salute:

titan
07-05-2010, 04:48 PM
I agree about "let's get the season started!" This time of year everything is analyzed and re-analyzed to death. Wait until the preseason games start. Remember Orton's 3 interceptions against the 49'ers last year in preseason and how Chris Simms looked good in that game? There was widespread panic in Bronco nation after that game and calls for Simms to be the new starter. Little did we know at the time (or could we guess) that the Broncos would start 6-0 under Orton and that Simms would be a disappointment.

As for Tebow, I think he will succeed or fail based on his ability to improvise when the play breaks down - something he did very well in college. Throwing mechanics are secondary. If you look at some of John Elway's great plays they were often plays he made scrambling and not with his rocket arm. See 4th down pass to Vance Johnson in the Houston playoff game comeback - the pass itself was just a short toss any nfl qb could have completed.

That's my hope with Tebow - his running skills and ability to make plays will overcome any flaws in his mechanics. Really most of the passes last year in the McDaniels offense were ones Tebow or any qb could handle - quick decision making and correct reads of the defense were what made Orton effective when he was going good last season.