PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Looking to Sign Flozell Adams?

WARHORSE
07-03-2010, 04:24 AM
http://www.foxsportssouthwest.com/07/02/10/Steelers-Broncos-looking-into-the-servic/landing.html?blockID=264734&feedID=3742

Sorry if someone else posted this. I didnt see it.

I also didnt know Flozell visited us.

Interesting.........goaline packages?

What would a goaline package look like if Flozell Adams came in and overloaded the side with Graham and Clady? Or maybe Kuper, Harris, Flo and Graham on the strong side with Tebow under center?

Redzone mauling is what I would call it.

Just think of this jumbo goaline package:

Thomas

Harris
Kuper
Walton..Tebow...........Larsen...Moreno
Beadles
Clady
Flozell Adams
Graham

Thomas, a superior jumper, would demand a double in most situations.

Other than that, Larsen/Moreno going off left side would be killer.
A fake to that with Tebow following outside would be killer.
A play action pass to Thomas...Moreno...Graham...Larsen.....lots to deal with imo.

If we had a dominant five yard and in redzone package using bulk like this, just think what that would do to our scoring.

BTW......dont forget in this package, Tebow is left handed.

:coffee:

Flozell........come on down.

Lonestar
07-03-2010, 04:30 AM
As long as he is not a cap killer having the big guy to mentor the kiddies could not hurt. We all know he is not long term.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Tned
07-03-2010, 05:37 AM
If they are looking at it, that might signal they're concerned about Clady being ready for the opener.

sneakers
07-03-2010, 05:49 AM
Isn't he really old?

Tned
07-03-2010, 05:54 AM
Isn't he really old?

Probably low to mid 30's. Far as I know he started for the Cowboys all year, last year.

WARHORSE
07-03-2010, 05:59 AM
Hes 35.

Im sure he would be looked at as an insurance policy at LT. while at the same time being able to dominate the goaline.

topscribe
07-03-2010, 07:23 AM
Wow, you guys couldn't sleep, I guess?

Anyway, the Broncos have almost NO depth behind Clady and Harris at tackle,
especially since it's increasingly looking as if they're putting Beadles at LG. So
a signing such as Adams would seem to make sense - although the $4M figure
suggested in the article might be giving them pause, as it probably is the other
teams . . .

-----

Lonestar
07-03-2010, 08:22 AM
No just catching flights setting airports.

As for Floz he could start for clady as EVEN if he says he is healed rarely do those injured players get back to their old selves in less thana year. Usually the second year. Playing when not completely healed just increases the risk of over compensating and hurting something else. OR gtting your QB killed because your not good enough. Make that well enuff to be totally effective.

Sign him as insurance and then he can teach the kiddies the fine art of playing dirty and mostly leg whips.

nevcraw
07-03-2010, 08:36 AM
Signing the Flozer will be a very bad sign for Clady's September return, unless it's for a more reasonable cost than 4 mil.
for a good number I would be glad to have him as BU to both Clady and Harris given the fact thet are both coming off injurys provided he could play both spots.

Italianmobstr7
07-03-2010, 08:52 AM
Say NO to Flo. This dude is a penalty machine. Even if we onlybused him for goalline packages, we wouldn't be in a goalline situation after his 3 false start penalties in a row. I'd rather go with the 3 drafted rookies or the 2nd year guy Olsen before I'd take Flozell.

UnderArmour
07-03-2010, 08:54 AM
Say NO to Flo. This dude is a penalty machine. Even if we onlybused him for goalline packages, we wouldn't be in a goalline situation after his 3 false start penalties in a row. I'd rather go with the 3 drafted rookies or the 2nd year guy Olsen before I'd take Flozell.

This is spot on. If you can't even stay onsides as an O-Lineman you should not be playing football. Stupid penalties like this are unacceptable and cost teams games, cost them championships. I do not want this guy on the Broncos, he has lead the NFL in false start penalties. Anything more than one every 20 games is bad enough, but this guy rakes them up.

Lonestar
07-03-2010, 09:34 AM
Since I try real hard NOt to watch the cowgirls. I could not tell you about penalties. I know he used to be a hell of a player.

jhildebrand
07-03-2010, 10:45 AM
I like the idea of a good insurance policy for a good deal. Roaf had some stellar seasons late in his career with a change of scenery.

However, at some point I would really like to see this team throw all of its youth out on the field and let them grow.

SmilinAssasSin27
07-03-2010, 10:52 AM
Keep him away from Pittsburgh. Sign him up if he doesn't break the bank. Keep improving the line.

Lonestar
07-03-2010, 02:02 PM
I like the idea of a good insurance policy for a good deal. Roaf had some stellar seasons late in his career with a change of scenery.

However, at some point I would really like to see this team throw all of its youth out on the field and let them grow.

I see it as here. For a couple years until the current OT are healed. As KNEES surjuries yahe more than a few months to heal.

I do not think that Beadles shiuld start right away as he is not quite Clady class.

However I do belive he was drafted to replace Harris at ORT when his contract expires or he is moved to OLT if clady does not stay.

He was the insurance guy IMO one way or the other. Chances are that one or more of our starters will not come back at the same level as they were before being injured or being injury prone.
Remember that Tebow will be starting next year and needs a stellar blind side guy at ORT.

Flozell come help make the tranistion easier over the next few years .

Ziggy
07-03-2010, 02:22 PM
Clady's injury was devastating. I'd be shocked if he was even back healthy by mid season. The other thing to consider is that Ryan Harris is in the last year of his contract. I'm all for playing the young guys, but I'd like to see Beadles as a guard or right tackle. He doesn't project well at LT at the NFL level. Polumbus proved last season that he's not quality starter material. Flozell may be a liability in pass protection, but that's where Daniel Graham makes his money. Flo can still dominate the running game. He'd be great insurance for Clady's injury and Ryan Harris's pending free agency.

Nomad
07-03-2010, 02:53 PM
All I have to say is.....Damn you Clady and basketball!!!

dogfish
07-03-2010, 03:11 PM
we should have traded for jamal brown if we're concerned about clady's health. . . .

Lonestar
07-03-2010, 04:41 PM
Clady's injury was devastating. I'd be shocked if he was even back healthy by mid season. The other thing to consider is that Ryan Harris is in the last year of his contract. I'm all for playing the young guys, but I'd like to see Beadles as a guard or right tackle. He doesn't project well at LT at the NFL level. Polumbus proved last season that he's not quality starter material. Flozell may be a liability in pass protection, but that's where Daniel Graham makes his money. Flo can still dominate the running game. He'd be great insurance for Clady's injury and Ryan Harris's pending free agency.

Beadles IMO was drafted to replace Harris as Tebows blind side blocker. With harris moving to the OLT IF clady moves on. After all an OLT is not big money if your QB is a lefty.

I think you are spot on about clady I have never seen a KNEE like that come back in a few months and be at the same level. I stated several times that it takes a good year to beck at the minimum.

dogfish
07-03-2010, 04:48 PM
JR, seriously, it's time to nip this whole "clady isn't useful to us because he plays left tackle" idiocy in the bud. . .

you honestly think matt lepsis was good enough to play both sides, but clady's not?

:lol:

come on. . . tony jones played both sides for us. . . and you even have harris switching from right to left-- but clady can't go from left to right?

:confused:

topscribe
07-03-2010, 04:49 PM
Beadles IMO was drafted to replace Harris as Tebows blind side blocker. With harris moving to the OLT IF clady moves on. After all an OLT is not big money if your QB is a lefty.

I think you are spot on about clady I have never seen a KNEE like that come back in a few months and be at the same level. I stated several times that it takes a good year to beck at the minimum.

If the Broncos drafted to replace Harris, I would think they would have gone
more for a pure tackle. Harris was a first-round draft choice who slid because
of a bad back at that time - and he is now regarded among the best RTs in
the game - some regard him as the best - and good enough to play LT.

Beadles might end up at tackle out of sheer necessity, but it would seem to
me the Broncos had LG in mind when they selected him.

-----

jhildebrand
07-03-2010, 04:54 PM
JR, seriously, it's time to nip this whole "clady isn't useful to us because he plays left tackle" idiocy in the bud. . .

you honestly think matt lepsis was good enough to play both sides, but clady's not?

come on. . . tony jones played both sides for us. . . and you even have harris switching from right to left-- but clady can't go from left to right?

Great post! My only concern would be the payscale for LT's is quite different than that of RT's and Clady, via his agent of course, may not be down for a switch.

Obviously that is purely conjecture on my part. I just don't see Clady being that kind of guy. I am sure if the Broncos want to protect their investment in Tebow they would be more than happy to justly compensate Clady in a way that works for him but gets him to RT.

topscribe
07-03-2010, 04:59 PM
Great post! My only concern would be the payscale for LT's is quite different than that of RT's and Clady, via his agent of course, may not be down for a switch.

Obviously that is purely conjecture on my part. I just don't see Clady being that kind of guy. I am sure if the Broncos want to protect their investment in Tebow they would be more than happy to justly compensate Clady in a way that works for him but gets him to RT.

Well, of course, playing RT for Orton is a different story, as opposed to playing
it for Tebow. While Orton is back there, and Clady is healthy, Clady isn't going
anywhere.

If Tebow is playing, however, then RT becomes the premium position and would
seem the higher paying one at that point.

Doesn't that make sense?

-----

dogfish
07-03-2010, 05:26 PM
If the Broncos drafted to replace Harris, I would think they would have gone
more for a pure tackle. Harris was a first-round draft choice who slid because
of a bad back at that time - and he is now regarded among the best RTs in
the game - some regard him as the best - and good enough to play LT.

Beadles might end up at tackle out of sheer necessity, but it would seem to
me the Broncos had LG in mind when they selected him.

-----

absolutely. . . i'm sure his versatility was one of the things that attracted us, as mcD obviously brought that tendency with him from new england, but most scouts agreed that beadles' footwork was best suited for guard at the pro level. . . which is of course where we're playing him now, and the fact that we're looking at flozell would seem to corroborate our preference for beadles playing inside. . . if we were comfortable with him at tackle he'd probably be playing there now-- JD walton, frye, hochstein, and eric and seth olsen would be sufficient competition for the center and OLG spots. . . seems pretty clear that we're playing beadles at OLG because that's ultimately where we want him, and he most likely has a real chance to start there this season. . .

i DO think there's more than a little uncertainty with harris, between his health questions and the murky future of the labor situation (he would be an RFA next year under the current terms, if they even play). . . i wouldn't be surprised to see us guage the trade market for him after the season, if a new labor deal does happen to be in place. . . the fact that he has a natural left tackle skill set adds to his value, although not every team will want a player of his size and average drive blocking ability. . .

i wouldn't be surprised to see us spend another high draft pick on an OT next year, but i'll be very surprised if we don't just slide clady over to the right side if and when tebow becomes the starter. . . maybe not mid-season, but certainly by the start of the next year. . . the guy's far too good to not be on the QB's blind side. . .

clearly, the team is going to have to pay him like a premiere left tackle-- they can't say, "too bed we got a lefty, tough luck for you pal!" :lol: flipping the formation doesn't change his worth one iota-- an elite blind side protector is an elite blind side protector, and which side of the formation he happens to stand on is entirely irrelevant. . .

Lonestar
07-03-2010, 05:31 PM

where did I say he could not?

I just think he will be asking ore money than the team is willing to spend for a OLT that might have to play ORT. to cover tebows back side

IIRC clady has never played anything but OLT and then in college he played ZBS .

Does that equate to top 5 money being a finesse OLT?

I think we went OL heavy in the draft this past year to have a spare parts on the shelf if he wants money that we can't spend.

Lonestar
07-03-2010, 05:36 PM
absolutely. . . i'm sure his versatility was one of the things that attracted us, as mcD obviously brought that tendency with him from new england, but most scouts agreed that beadles' footwork was best suited for guard at the pro level. . . which is of course where we're playing him now, and the fact that we're looking at flozell would seem to corroborate our preference for beadles playing inside. . . if we were comfortable with him at tackle he'd probably be playing there now-- JD walton, frye, hochstein, and eric and seth olsen would be sufficient competition for the center and OLG spots. . . seems pretty clear that we're playing beadles at OLG because that's ultimately where we want him, and he most likely has a real chance to start there this season. . .

i DO think there's more than a little uncertainty with harris, between his health questions and the murky future of the labor situation (he would be an RFA next year under the current terms, if they even play). . . i wouldn't be surprised to see us guage the trade market for him after the season, if a new labor deal does happen to be in place. . . the fact that he has a natural left tackle skill set adds to his value, although not every team will want a player of his size and average drive blocking ability. . .

i wouldn't be surprised to see us spend another high draft pick on an OT next year, but i'll be very surprised if we don't just slide clady over to the right side if and when tebow becomes the starter. . . maybe not mid-season, but certainly by the start of the next year. . . the guy's far too good to not be on the QB's blind side. . .

clearly, the team is going to have to pay him like a premiere left tackle-- they can't say, "too bed we got a lefty, tough luck for you pal!" :lol: flipping the formation doesn't change his worth one iota-- an elite blind side protector is an elite blind side protector, and which side of the formation he happens to stand on is entirely irrelevant. . .

a fair post but I do not see us paying his top 5 money, it is just not in the NE model someone want more than the Perceived value they are traded for more picks. and believe me playing ORT tackle is much different than OLT.

Some can make the transition some can't.

Time will tell

Bosco
07-03-2010, 07:22 PM
Well, of course, playing RT for Orton is a different story, as opposed to playing
it for Tebow. While Orton is back there, and Clady is healthy, Clady isn't going
anywhere.

If Tebow is playing, however, then RT becomes the premium position and would
seem the higher paying one at that point.

Doesn't that make sense?

-----

Logically, yes, however very few (if any) teams flip their defensive ends when playing lefty quarterbacks these days. Even though Clady won't be protecting Tebow's blindside, he'll still be taking on the other team's best pass rusher.

Besides, Harris is more than capable of handling Tebow's blindside. The gap between him and Clady is rather small.

topscribe
07-03-2010, 07:53 PM
Logically, yes, however very few (if any) teams flip their defensive ends when playing lefty quarterbacks these days. Even though Clady won't be protecting Tebow's blindside, he'll still be taking on the other team's best pass rusher.

Besides, Harris is more than capable of handling Tebow's blindside. The gap between him and Clady is rather small.

I don't have much cause to disagree with you there. Actually it's getting to
where both tackles are taking on the best rusher because offenses are getting
smart and moving him around more.

Regarding Harris, it seems he is underestimated a lot. I don't know how he
could have proven himself more than he has the last couple years. So, assuming
both he and Clady are healthy, it would seem to me that the pass rusher will
have his work cut out for him against either one . . .

-----

dogfish
07-03-2010, 08:02 PM
IIRC clady has never played anything but OLT and then in college he played ZBS .

Does that equate to top 5 money being a finesse OLT?

wait, so playing in the ZBS makes you a finesse player?

you should have watched tom nalen or gary zimmerman some time. . . .

:salute:

bigger guys aren't always tougher guys, but since you're so hung up on size, you should love clady-- dude is enormous. . .

you're taking this new england stuff to ridiculous lengths. . . even they pay players, JR. . . they just gave wilfork a big contract, even though they drafted ron brace and myron pryor the year before. . . seymour got paid there a while back, and don't think they're not going to pay brady at some point. . .

cap space is great (or would be, if there was a salary cap), but it never made a tackle or threw a touchdown. . . financial prudence is all well and good as far as it goes, but they don't give out a trophy for the team with the most cap space. . .

TXBRONC
07-04-2010, 08:15 AM

bigger guys aren't always tougher guys, but since you're so hung up on size, you should love clady-- dude is enormous. . .

you're taking this new england stuff to ridiculous lengths. . . even they pay players, JR. . . they just gave wilfork a big contract, even though they drafted ron brace and myron pryor the year before. . . seymour got paid there a while back, and don't think they're not going to pay brady at some point. . .

cap space is great (or would be, if there was a salary cap), but it never made a tackle or threw a touchdown. . . financial prudence is all well and good as far as it goes, but they don't give out a trophy for the team with the most cap space. . .

Financial prudence is the Arizona Cardinals of just few years ago. They finally figured out to some extent that the need to pay their good players.

If the New England model was so damn perfect they would win the Super Bowl EVERY YEAR!

FanInAZ
07-04-2010, 09:17 AM
Financial prudence is the Arizona Cardinals of just few years ago. They finally figured out to some extent that the need to pay their good players.

If the New England model was so damn perfect they would win the Super Bowl EVERY YEAR!

# of NE SB wins before they got caught cheating: 3
# of NE SB wins since they got caught cheating: 0

Lonestar
07-04-2010, 10:28 AM

Your going to tell me that the team that we had the last 10 years was a brawler team especially the oline?

Please do not go there.

Since gibbs left our oline has gotten progressively worse IMHO.

Have we had 1K rushers all that time. Yep but we have sucked inside the red zone for most of those years AG (after Gibbs).

The major reason for that is because we have never invested in real OLINE guys. Always went after most late round guys that were not in demand smaller guys that had to rely on quickness. For the most part none were brawlers. Nails yes but he was a Gibbs guy.

Y'all forget that NO ZBS team has ever won the lombardi other than DEN. Even though lots of teams are trying to emulate be si far NADA.

Ok has NE paid KEY players sure never said they have not.
Have said that they trade or let them walk when demands are to high. That they are prepared by having spares on the shelve if they do lose them.

If you go back and look at all the players traded or lost proves this out. If you look at there extra draft choices they seem to have each year yet being a divison or playoff winner each year, that is the type of team I want to be. I also suspect that is what Pat wants also.

As for cap space your correct has not won rings.

But neighter has been having to blow your team up every few years because your over the cap see WAS, DAL, OAK as prime examples of failing to win it all and yes DEN since we won last.

Also SAN having cap issues greatly talented and can't win it either

So balance not wasting draft choices and buolding via the draft is what I seek. Not looking for instant over priced fixes. Nor overpaying for someone that is clearly looking for money only.

Lonestar
07-04-2010, 10:37 AM
# of NE SB wins before they got caught cheating: 3
# of NE SB wins since they got caught cheating: 0

It can also been said.

# of DEN superbowl rings with HOF talent 2.

#of rings since retirements 0

# of rings when we cheated with the cap 2.

# since we stopped 0

That arguement workes both ways.

Do not think for one minute that was the only team that did not find a competitive edge.

Nor that they did not win because players played hard and they had a TEAM.

I like what we seem ti have going here finally.

A guy that knows that you win games at the LOS that you have to have power and size there to beat the other side of the LOS.

I see major steps being taken to get us there. Where I had not in a decade before.