PDA

View Full Version : Woody's Mailbag: And what exactly will be John Elway's role with the Broncos next season?

TXBRONC
07-01-2010, 11:27 AM
Yes it's Woody's opinion but I do think this good insight.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_15413772

Woody, would Josh ever move his brother out of the quarterbacks coach position and move John Elway in? In my "what if?" scenario, the Broncos give Elway a 20 percent ownership stake in the Broncos and make him the QB coach. Maybe they want to see how John will be as a coach before making anything official?
--Dan Nace, St. Louis

Dan: No. You obviously read the two pieces I wrote for The Sunday Denver Post about John, his 50th birthday and his desire to be involved with the Broncos again, and their desire to have him around.

Here's how I read it (and how you could have read between the lines). Now that Mike Shanahan is gone and McDaniels has spent time with Elway, the coach wants the old quarterback as an involved observer. The Broncos' front office would like to use John in helping market the team, which could use some of the old Elway magic.

In truth, John was probably responsible for the current stadium - not only because of the two Super Bowls, but he was the out-front guy before the election to pass a tax to get the stadium constructed.

It genuinely is The Stadium John Built. So I don't understand why Bowlen, or the city, doesn't put a sculpture of him out front. I don't get it, and people here shouldn't accept that snub. Ticket sales are declining in the club level and luxury boxes. The Broncos are no longer as popular as they were in town, for obvious reasons. And the young quarterbacks, especially Tim Tebow, could use some help.

John doesn't want to be involved full time. He has other businesses, loves to play golf competitively and doesn't want to devote 100 percent of his life being around the Broncos. His role off the field, Joe Ellis told me, will be to help the Broncos in myriad areas. And Ellis and Josh McDaniels said John is invited to be at Dove Valley whenever he wants, and they'll see what happens.

I can see John talking to the quarterbacks, offering advice to Josh, participating in some of the scouting. He talked a lot to me about loving being around his father, Jack, when he would study college players. His father, John told me, loved a kid named Drew Brees when people didn't care that much for him. And he talked about being around team-fan events.

I never see John going back to studying films all day, sitting in meetings, spending 18 hours a day seven days a week, working in football. I see him eventually being maybe an executive vice president and maybe owning 10 percent of the team. I see him helping out a lot in training camp, as old baseball players do at spring training.

Josh is not going to move his brother out, unless Josh is moved out. Marty Schottenheimer was one of many coaches in the league who had his brother as an assistant. Mike Shanahan has his son as an offensive coordinator. Josh's brother Ben is an extension of Josh. Josh doesn't have time to work with the quarterbacks on a full-scale basis, so he turned it over to someone who thinks exactly as he does.

Lonestar
07-01-2010, 11:41 AM
Saw that article and it is much of what has been said on this forum since the original pieces were published

As much as the Josh haters want he is not a magic bullet that is going to save the franchise by bring in John to run it while getting rid of their nemisis Josh.

Josh is well liked by Pat and unless there is a complete melt down mikey is not coming back.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

GEM
07-01-2010, 01:14 PM
The subject matter is what role Elway will play next year....let's get back to the topic at hand. Mmmmkay!

GEM
07-01-2010, 03:07 PM
Your post was deleted, JR. You know that as well as I do, because you received a pm from a mod regarding it. Do not post in regards to it again. If you want to post about Elway's place with the Broncos next, have at it. In regards to telling the mods how to do our job, no more. You don't know what is going on behind the scenes and frankly, when it comes to other posters, it's none of your business. Enough already.

Lonestar
07-01-2010, 03:21 PM
Your post was deleted, JR. You know that as well as I do, because you received a pm from a mod regarding it. Do not post in regards to it again. If you want to post about Elway's place with the Broncos next, have at it. In regards to telling the mods how to do our job, no more. You don't know what is going on behind the scenes and frankly, when it comes to other posters, it's none of your business. Enough already.

I know of no such thing as in mobile mode I do not get PM's.

So sorry about that. When I get time to get on a real computer I'll check out my latest concerning your post.

Thanks for making the world aware of it.

Many times my posts do not go through in this mode. So that was why I reposted it.

Had a tuff time yesyerday aftrnoon about 5 pm so when I posted that it was not to be a smart ass.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

TXBRONC
07-01-2010, 05:11 PM
Woody's opinion gets to the heart of what I was getting at a day or two ago at least partially. I don't think John wants coach in an official capacity nor does it sound it sounds like they want him to coach offfically. It sounds like they want him to be the front man and maybe do some hands on mentoring.