PDA

View Full Version : Great read on Cutler from RMN

Broncos Mtnman
09-13-2007, 01:40 AM
I really enjoyed this one. Take notice of how Elam compared him to Elway.

More than just a Sunday drive for Cutler (http://http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nfl/article/0,2777,DRMN_23918_5696048,00.html)

Behind the wheel in Buffalo, Cutler turns into leader
By Jeff Legwold, Rocky Mountain News
September 12, 2007

ENGLEWOOD - As an NFL quarterback, Jay Cutler certainly will be asked to do a lot of things in his vocational life. He'll be asked to win games, to be sure. But to do that, he'll also be asked to win the hearts and minds of the 10 other players staring back at him in the huddle.

That's why, in his first full year as an NFL starter, Sunday just might turn out to be more than a one-point win.

"That last drive . . . defines what we're going to be, what we are about," Broncos running back Travis Henry said. "Guys sucked it up. We knew we had to get in field-goal range or score a touchdown to win. . . . And (Cutler) gave us the feeling we were going to do it. That's what you want."

On the sterile pages of recent history, it simply will say the Broncos went 42 yards in 12 plays in the final 2:13 on the game clock. That Jason Elam kicked a 42-yard field goal for a 15-14 win against the Buffalo Bills on a rainy September Sunday.

But for Cutler, who is next in the line of Broncos quarterbacks to step where John Elway left some of the biggest footprints at any position in the league, it was a chance for a leap of faith.

He acknowledged after the game he felt like his teammates believed in him but that a comeback such as Sunday's still was a major step in affirmation.

"I think they believe in me, but to go out there and do that puts even more faith in me," Cutler said. "I feel good about it."

Elam, who, in his 15th season, is the longest-tenured player with the team, went as far as to invoke the platinum standard of comeback play for the franchise.

"I've been involved in a lot of comeback victories with John over the years, and I'm not sure anything compares to this," Elam said. "It was pretty exciting. What was it? Third-and-23?"

"He's a young guy," Broncos coach Mike Shanahan said. "To see him step up and make the plays he made in the final drive and take control of the game, it gives a lot of those players - almost all those players - a lot of confidence in our quarterback.

"That's what leaders do -- that's what competitors do. They don't shy away from competition, from a challenge, and (Cutler) certainly stepped up when he had to."

Many of the Broncos players said Cutler's reaction to the roughest of spots on the winning drive was telling. On second-and-13 from the Broncos 31 - it was the third play of the drive - Cutler dropped back to pass, only to see his first option on the play no longer was an option because a Bills pass rusher was in his face.

So, seeing running back Selvin Young swinging out of the backfield - Young was the second option on the play, Shanahan said - Cutler tried to get the ball to the rookie to avoid the sack.

But, in the heat of the moment, Cutler overthrew Young. The back was behind Cutler, so the loose ball was a lateral that could be recovered by the Bills and would have ended the Broncos' chances for a win.

But Young swatted the ball out of bounds, and the Broncos were left with a third-and-23 with 1:43 to play.

"And we've got to get a first down or we lose the game," Cutler said.

"(You've) got to make plays as a quarterback," Shanahan said. "You can't be afraid. He wasn't afraid (to try) to make a play."

Cutler threw to Javon Walker on a quick hitter that turned into a 21-yard gain on third down, then ran for 7 yards on fourth down to get the first down.

Eight plays later, Elam kicked the winner and Cutler had gone 4-of-6 on the drive, including a spike to stop the clock, for 51 yards.

Shanahan said Cutler also overcame some "rough spots in our communication" during the game because of the noise inside Ralph Wilson Stadium.

"When I looked at it (Monday) morning, I thought he played well," Shanahan said. "He made a number of plays, managed the game well. Especially in those conditions. It was very loud, and sometimes our communication broke down and he had to call a play on his own to get something run. He did a good job with that."

Shanahan and several of his teammates also pointed to a block by Cutler on an option play in the first quarter as an example of what might be possible: Cutler took on safety Donté Whitner on Henry's 33-yard run and put Whitner on the ground.

But winning games, late drives, remaining calm in the storm, that's what quarterbacks are asked to do. Some do, some do not.

And, for his part, Cutler, with a career still ahead of him, seems to already understand Elway's gold- coated Hall-of-Fame shadow will always come with the job here.

"That's why we get paid the big bucks, to make third downs, make two-minute drives," Cutler said. "The Bronco fans, they know it well with John Elway through all those years."

Broncos players apparently knew instantly Cutler was their leader.

"Our players were ready for him to be the starter when he took over the job last year," Shanahan said. "They could see we have a quarterback that has a lot of talent. They saw it again (Sunday). He's just got to keep on getting better. That's what separates the good ones from the great ones."

Crush05
09-13-2007, 01:45 AM
I really enjoyed this one. Take notice of how Elam compared him to Elway.

More than just a Sunday drive for Cutler (http://http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nfl/article/0,2777,DRMN_23918_5696048,00.html)

Behind the wheel in Buffalo, Cutler turns into leader
By Jeff Legwold, Rocky Mountain News
September 12, 2007

ENGLEWOOD - As an NFL quarterback, Jay Cutler certainly will be asked to do a lot of things in his vocational life. He'll be asked to win games, to be sure. But to do that, he'll also be asked to win the hearts and minds of the 10 other players staring back at him in the huddle.

That's why, in his first full year as an NFL starter, Sunday just might turn out to be more than a one-point win.

"That last drive . . . defines what we're going to be, what we are about," Broncos running back Travis Henry said. "Guys sucked it up. We knew we had to get in field-goal range or score a touchdown to win. . . . And (Cutler) gave us the feeling we were going to do it. That's what you want."

On the sterile pages of recent history, it simply will say the Broncos went 42 yards in 12 plays in the final 2:13 on the game clock. That Jason Elam kicked a 42-yard field goal for a 15-14 win against the Buffalo Bills on a rainy September Sunday.

But for Cutler, who is next in the line of Broncos quarterbacks to step where John Elway left some of the biggest footprints at any position in the league, it was a chance for a leap of faith.

He acknowledged after the game he felt like his teammates believed in him but that a comeback such as Sunday's still was a major step in affirmation.

"I think they believe in me, but to go out there and do that puts even more faith in me," Cutler said. "I feel good about it."

Elam, who, in his 15th season, is the longest-tenured player with the team, went as far as to invoke the platinum standard of comeback play for the franchise.

"I've been involved in a lot of comeback victories with John over the years, and I'm not sure anything compares to this," Elam said. "It was pretty exciting. What was it? Third-and-23?"

"He's a young guy," Broncos coach Mike Shanahan said. "To see him step up and make the plays he made in the final drive and take control of the game, it gives a lot of those players - almost all those players - a lot of confidence in our quarterback.

"That's what leaders do -- that's what competitors do. They don't shy away from competition, from a challenge, and (Cutler) certainly stepped up when he had to."

Many of the Broncos players said Cutler's reaction to the roughest of spots on the winning drive was telling. On second-and-13 from the Broncos 31 - it was the third play of the drive - Cutler dropped back to pass, only to see his first option on the play no longer was an option because a Bills pass rusher was in his face.

So, seeing running back Selvin Young swinging out of the backfield - Young was the second option on the play, Shanahan said - Cutler tried to get the ball to the rookie to avoid the sack.

But, in the heat of the moment, Cutler overthrew Young. The back was behind Cutler, so the loose ball was a lateral that could be recovered by the Bills and would have ended the Broncos' chances for a win.

But Young swatted the ball out of bounds, and the Broncos were left with a third-and-23 with 1:43 to play.

"And we've got to get a first down or we lose the game," Cutler said.

"(You've) got to make plays as a quarterback," Shanahan said. "You can't be afraid. He wasn't afraid (to try) to make a play."

Cutler threw to Javon Walker on a quick hitter that turned into a 21-yard gain on third down, then ran for 7 yards on fourth down to get the first down.

Eight plays later, Elam kicked the winner and Cutler had gone 4-of-6 on the drive, including a spike to stop the clock, for 51 yards.

Shanahan said Cutler also overcame some "rough spots in our communication" during the game because of the noise inside Ralph Wilson Stadium.

"When I looked at it (Monday) morning, I thought he played well," Shanahan said. "He made a number of plays, managed the game well. Especially in those conditions. It was very loud, and sometimes our communication broke down and he had to call a play on his own to get something run. He did a good job with that."

Shanahan and several of his teammates also pointed to a block by Cutler on an option play in the first quarter as an example of what might be possible: Cutler took on safety Donté Whitner on Henry's 33-yard run and put Whitner on the ground.

But winning games, late drives, remaining calm in the storm, that's what quarterbacks are asked to do. Some do, some do not.

And, for his part, Cutler, with a career still ahead of him, seems to already understand Elway's gold- coated Hall-of-Fame shadow will always come with the job here.

"That's why we get paid the big bucks, to make third downs, make two-minute drives," Cutler said. "The Bronco fans, they know it well with John Elway through all those years."

Broncos players apparently knew instantly Cutler was their leader.

"Our players were ready for him to be the starter when he took over the job last year," Shanahan said. "They could see we have a quarterback that has a lot of talent. They saw it again (Sunday). He's just got to keep on getting better. That's what separates the good ones from the great ones."

Great find! He is not an Elway but boy is he sure exciting to watch!!!!!:salute:

topscribe
09-13-2007, 02:17 AM
Of course, he's not Elway. Moreover, he has already said he doesn't want to be.

Therefore, he is Cutler. But I'll tell you one thing: He has been better than
Elway was through his first six games. And he has been better than Manning
was in his first six games. And he has blown away the two who were
supposed to be better than he: Leinart and Young.

Nah . . . I don't think Cutler wants to be Elway or anybody except Cutler.
That's good enough for him. :coffee:

-----

broncosfanscott
09-13-2007, 02:18 AM
Nice post. That was a nice article on Cutler and that 4th qtr. drive for the win was awesome and the first of many. :D

The Horses Mouth
09-13-2007, 02:42 AM
Shanny is a genious!

Go cutler! I almost pee'd my pants watching that drive. Seriously I was watcing on sopcast and i think if it was in my high def. I would have passed out!!!!

Retired_Member_001
09-13-2007, 03:06 AM
I actually think it's good that Cutler doesn't want to be like Elway, or considered the next Elway. Let him develop into his own Quarterback. The problem is Cutler will always be living in the shadow of John Elway unless Cutler can prove he is BETTER than Elway. I am not saying he is going to be better than Elway but the only way all this "next Elway" buisness is going to stop is if Cutler can prove he is better.

Anyway, it's a great read. Shanahan knows what he is doing, he was with Elway for most of Elway's career so he knows how to develop young Quarterbacks.

:beer:

BroncoBJ
09-13-2007, 04:38 AM

-----

Good Post. :salute:

I agree that through his first 6 games he is better then most QBs through thier first 6 games.

He is playing like someone in thier 4th or 5th year in the league. If he keeps this up I will be more and more comfortable with him at the helm late in the game as were trailing. That drive against the 49ers last year was my favorite one of him I think. I was nervous throughout the whole drive but he led us down the field and had a nice TD Throw to Tony. Just think if We didn't lose to a FG to the Seahawks or 49ers. Cutler could have 3 4th qtr comebacks in his first 6 starts. Thats pretty impressive. I dont like trailing in the 4th quarter but its nice to have a QB thats as calm as him leading the way.

Heres to many more Victories for #6. :elefant:

omac
09-13-2007, 07:37 AM
Great article, broncos_mtnman! One thing I immediately noticed with Cutler is that Denver has become a very confident passing team. I was pretty envious of Indy, NE, and Cincy in that they were/are very solid in their pass plays, while Denver was like a "oh no, they stopped our run, we have to pass ....."

Now, we don't think twice about passing the ball in any situation. We have confidence whether we go by land or by air. And I'm not too worried when our team is down some points. Hopefully, Jay and the gang stay healthy and keep improving. :elefant:

Skinny
09-13-2007, 08:10 AM
Thanks for the post mtnman. Definitely one of if not the best article by RMN's Legwold that i've read.
When I looked at it (Monday) morning, I thought he played well," Shanahan said. "He made a number of plays, managed the game well. Especially in those conditions. It was very loud, and sometimes our communication broke down and he had to call a play on his own to get something run. He did a good job with that."
A Q.B. has to have confidence and Jay has certainly proved he has that. In himself and in the team and coaching staff around him.

Even under the toughest circumstances of playing on the road.

BIG props to Jay and his teamates who back him 100%. :salute:

TXBRONC
09-13-2007, 08:30 AM

-----

Exactly Jay just needs to be himself and other things will take care of themselves.

You know what's interesting is that those other quarterbacks picked ahead of Jay had very poor outings on opening day and Young and Leinart have vastly more starting experience.

frenchfan
09-13-2007, 08:39 AM
Great post Mnt_man :beer:

Really... I don't care about comparing Elway or Cutler... Elway will always be Elway… Cutler has to be Cutler… Period… The only thing that really matters is that Cutler & Broncos win...

The guy made some mistakes? Yeah...
Will he make other mistakes? Sure...

But he also showed that he could handle the pressure very well... He was great when it really mattered… Not many QB are able to do this… Now he has to prove us it’s not just one game but that he can develop as an elite QB, which IMO he’s able to do… Jay has the talent, the poise and the leadership to do this.

Good points of this game are :
- We won
- Jay showed all his team-mates he can control a game and win it… that he has all the skills and the leadership you expect from your QB
- Others D couldn’t only focus on our running game for now… They know Jay can throw…
- Henry is a good fit for us… If I stay healthy, our O will begin to give some nightmares to D coordinators… LOL
- Our D can be as good as expected… IMO we have to work on running D and to add more pressure… Bly shut the mouth of many people who criticize him… He’s a great CB… Sure, he will be beat sometimes… as Champ… It’s not because you are good that others can’t make a play against you… It happens…
- Elam still can kick winning FG

Bad points are :
- Running D is still questionable
- Our special teams… They made some good things, but overall it wasn’t a good game… But I expect them to be better with the coaching staff we have.
- Don’t drop the ball please… Though I admit it happens… but I expect our good WR to catch all that is catchable…
- Please... Just finish the drives ! Gaining yards is good (show that yoru O can move the ball) but scoring is better... But I'm confident we'll improve in that area...

Now, back to the article… There is one domain I’m glad to see people comparing Elway and Cutler : the money time… I pray that everyone will fear Jay in the money time as much as they feared John… :first:

Lonestar
09-13-2007, 10:13 AM
As long as he has good days and pulls out games like the last one where some part of the team sucked it up, he will get props. He will be compared to the Duke until such time as he exceeds John.

Now that he has showed he can playing the bigs he has to improve, if he does not the media in DEN will crucify him on any mistake. The anticipation of the fans will settle for nothing less than Elway type actions and numbers.

And unfortunately they will not remember the foobars that John had early in his career. the Duke casts a large shadow.

So far in this last game he looked pretty darned good and had some areas he needs to deal with fortunately the good far out weighed the few bad spots.

omac
09-13-2007, 10:32 AM
As long as he has good days and pulls out games like the last one where some part of the team sucked it up, he will get props. He will be compared to the Duke until such time as he exceeds John.

Now that he has showed he can playing the bigs he has to improve, if he does not the media in DEN will crucify him on any mistake. The anticipation of the fans will settle for nothing less than Elway type actions and numbers.

And unfortunately they will not remember the foobars that John had early in his career. the Duke casts a large shadow.

So far in this last game he looked pretty darned good and had some areas he needs to deal with fortunately the good far out weighed the few bad spots.

Good thing for John, there was nothing like the internet we have today, nor the forums, nor access to all the games. Most people are just left with good memories instead. And good thing for John too that there wasn't a John Elway before him in Broncos history. :cool: Some imply that was the reason he didn't play for the Colts ... the shadow of Unitas. He said it was an ownership/organization issue.

topscribe
09-13-2007, 10:43 AM
Good thing for John, there was nothing like the internet we have today, nor the forums, nor access to all the games. Most people are just left with good memories instead. And good thing for John too that there wasn't a John Elway before him in Broncos history. :cool: Some imply that was the reason he didn't play for the Colts ... the shadow of Unitas. He said it was an ownership/organization issue.
The biggest reason Elway did not want to play for the Colts was their coach
Frank Kush, with whom Elway's dad Jack was embroiled in a bitter feud. Elway
just could not see hmself playing for a man who hated his dad, and whom his
dad hated.

There were other minor factors, such as he also did not like Colts owner Robert
Irsay very well (but it wasn't hate), and the Colts were on the east cost,
and Elway wanted to play closer to home in the west. But he could have
put up with those issues, had it not been for Kush.

But, far as I know, Unitas had nothing to do with it.

-----

Watchthemiddle
09-13-2007, 10:59 AM
Exactly Jay just needs to be himself and other things will take care of themselves.

You know what's interesting is that those other quarterbacks picked ahead of Jay had very poor outings on opening day and Young and Leinart have vastly more starting experience.

Cutler did a very good job. He is fortunate to be surrounded by alot more talent then Leinart and Young. This staff has done well in bringing in talent ( Henry, Stokley, Marshall, Graham, Walker ) to support Jay and set him up for as much success as possible.

Thats one area no one can compare Cutler to Elway. For years, Elway did it all on his own. He had some talent to work with, but Clarence Kay, the 3 amigos and a plethera of journeymen running backs have nothing on our skill players that are on this team now.

topscribe
09-13-2007, 11:06 AM
Cutler did a very good job. He is fortunate to be surrounded by alot more talent then Leinart and Young. This staff has done well in bringing in talent ( Henry, Stokley, Marshall, Graham, Walker ) to support Jay and set him up for as much success as possible.

Thats one area no one can compare Cutler to Elway. For years, Elway did it all on his own. He had some talent to work with, but Clarence Kay, the 3 amigos and a plethera of journeymen running backs have nothing on our skill players that are on this team now.
Very good point. In fact, during the Super Bowl years of the 1980s, HOF Raider
CB Mike Haynes commented that without Elway the Broncos were an 8-8 team.
I don't believe there ever has been a QB who achieved so much, having so
little to work with, since Norm Van Brocklyn, anyway.

I guess if Cutler does match or exceed Elway, there will always be a little
asterisk (*) in our minds, wondering whether he could have done it with
Elway's tools.

P.S. I might add, per your comment on Cutler's having more to work with
than Leinart and Young, that Leinart has some mighty fine skill players to
work with. I don't think Cutler has anything over on Leinart in that category.
And Young had Henry last year, and his present RB just got offensive player
of the week. So Young's not exactly destitute for help, either.

-----

Lonestar
09-13-2007, 11:30 AM
The biggest reason Elway did not want to play for the Colts was their coach
Frank Kush, with whom Elway's dad Jack was embroiled in a bitter feud. Elway
just could not see hmself playing for a man who hated his dad, and whom his
dad hated.

There were other minor factors, such as he also did not like Colts owner Robert
Irsay very well (but it wasn't hate), and the Colts were on the east cost,
and Elway wanted to play closer to home in the west. But he could have
put up with those issues, had it not been for Kush.

But, far as I know, Unitas had nothing to do with it.

-----

That was exactly why. After they told them he would not play for him/them then it got even more personal.

I'm guessing that somewhere in there John was recruited by Kush and something did not happen the way it should have.

Lonestar
09-13-2007, 11:37 AM

Now some argue that Matt had lots of talent around him last year offensively, But still is the cardinal organization and his coach hold him and the team back.

Personally I like Him better because of what his team did in college and thought him to be more "NFL ready" with his college coach being an ex pro coach, than the rest of his class.

It could be a banner QB year like 1983 was.

You are correct about the difference in talent level that John had almost until Mikey came back to town. Worlds apart even though last year was not great they still were great.

Just think if John would have had a Javon Walker for most of his career.

BTW has anyone heard anything about ROD?

Lonestar
09-13-2007, 11:39 AM
Very good point. In fact, during the Super Bowl years of the 1980s, HOF Raider
CB Mike Haynes commented that without Elway the Broncos were an 8-8 team.
I don't believe there ever has been a QB who achieved so much, having so
little to work with, since Norm Van Brocklyn, anyway.

I guess if Cutler does match or exceed Elway, there will always be a little
asterisk (*) in our minds, wondering whether he could have done it with
Elway's tools.

P.S. I might add, per your comment on Cutler's having more to work with
than Leinart and Young, that Leinart has some mighty fine skill players to
work with. I don't think Cutler has anything over on Leinart in that category.
And Young had Henry last year, and his present RB just got offensive player
of the week. So Young's not exactly destitute for help, either.

-----

Yet one has to wonder if the fear of Young going nuts does not set up the players around him to have better games.

arapaho2
09-13-2007, 12:12 PM

one thing i find weird is how last season most people said cutler was the worst of the three because of his college career as opposed to young and leinart successes...even though people repeatedly said he was on a very bad vandy team, others said that his lack of supporting talent wasnt an excuse

now when he does better in the pros then either its because he's on a better team and they dont have the talent cutler does:confused:

TXBRONC
09-13-2007, 01:46 PM

That's one area no one can compare Cutler to Elway. For years, Elway did it all on his own. He had some talent to work with, but Clarence Kay, the 3 amigos and a plethora of journeymen running backs have nothing on our skill players that are on this team now.

I don't disagree at all.

Jay has a lot of advantages that John didn't in his prime. As you mentioned better talent especially at wide reciever and running back, and lets not for get an offensive scheme that will only enhance the abilities he has and a great head coach. Those are things that John didn't have in his prime.

Watchthemiddle
09-13-2007, 02:02 PM
one thing i find weird is how last season most people said cutler was the worst of the three because of his college career as opposed to young and leinart successes...even though people repeatedly said he was on a very bad vandy team, others said that his lack of supporting talent wasnt an excuse

now when he does better in the pros then either its because he's on a better team and they dont have the talent cutler does:confused:

Well there is a difference between not having talent around you in college, and not having talent around you in the pro's.

In college, you are playing against a bunch of 5 star blue chip all americans on one team. Vandy played against that year in and year out. The only thing they had was Cutler and even though he didn't have a ton of talent around him, he was still able to excel for himself and get into the NFL. He might not have won alot of games, but his talent was obviously noted.

In the pros, the playing field is more even. It comes down to more of an organizational thing and how bad do they want to spend money to improve. We are fortunate here in Denver to have an owner who is willing to put up a competitive team every year. In the early and late 80's, the Broncos weren't good at doing that. They had their all world QB and thought that was enough. SUre it worked getting to 3 super bowls in 4 years, but when they got there it was a huge difference in level of play. Look at what Montana had to work with compared to Elway. Worlds apart.

It wasn't until we found our diamond in the rough in TD, Sharpe, Rod, Eddie Mac, and brought back Shanahan that we started winning consistently and Super Bowls.

Offensively, this is the most talent ( young talent also ) that we have had since the SUper Bowl years. Its awesome to have a young qb, young WR's and RB's and overall team around him to all grow together.

BroncoSexyDaddy
09-14-2007, 10:56 PM
Its hard for me not to think of John when i see Jay,they play just alike.Shannahan and Co picked Jay because he resembled someone we all know good :salute:

Broncos Mtnman
09-15-2007, 12:18 AM
Its hard for me not to think of John when i see Jay,they play just alike.Shannahan and Co picked Jay because he resembled someone we all know good :salute:

I figure if someone who has played with both of them (Elam) feels Jay is in the same class, then there must be something to it.

Jay's the real deal, and I think he's going to turn alot of heads this season. Heck, as we've seen in some other posts, the national press is already saying Jay's ahead of Leinhart and Young.

With time, he has everything it takes to be better than Elway.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-15-2007, 08:25 AM
I figure if someone who has played with both of them (Elam) feels Jay is in the same class, then there must be something to it.

Jay's the real deal, and I think he's going to turn alot of heads this season. Heck, as we've seen in some other posts, the national press is already saying Jay's ahead of Leinhart and Young.

With time, he has everything it takes to be better than Elway.

If it ends up that Jay appears to be better than John was, I don't believe that should be credited to Jay alone, but the fact that he will have had much better teams around him than John did for most of John's career. So many years, John was a "one man show". Right now, Jay has a much better team around him than John had for it being Jay's first full year as starting quarterback.

omac
09-15-2007, 09:01 AM
Here's another Cutler article; I didn't think it needed it's own thread, as it says similar stuff as other Cutler articles ....

http://www.coloradoan.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007709150371

Cutler, Walker developing relationship
By the Associated Press

ENGLEWOOD - During the final drive last week in Buffalo, a quarterback-wide receiver relationship might have been born.

Not exactly Troy Aikman to Michael Irvin or Johnny Unitas to Raymond Berry yet, but second-year quarterback Jay Cutler and veteran wide receiver Javon Walker were the key elements of the Denver Broncos' last-second victory.

The two were the drive that set up Jason Elam's 42-yard, game-winning field goal. Cutler hooked up with Javon Walker for four catches for 51 yards.

"I was just reading the defense," said Cutler, tongue in cheek. "They were playing cover two, and Javon was getting inside and winning."

Walker, who had nine catches for 119 yards had a different take on the drive and on Cutler.

"Oh, wow," Walker said of Cutler's confidence in him. "That shows he's putting the ball in places where not too many people can put the ball."

As evidenced when he drilled the ball to Walker for a 21-yard gain on a 3rd-and-23 play.

"He's a tough guy, a gamer," Cutler said. "He gets out there when the lights are on and plays for us. We want to get him the ball as much as possible

Walker is all for that.

"It's a good feeling and I'm just glad that hopefully down the road, I can be there to pull the team through along with everybody else," Walker said. "That's something we work on as a group of receivers and as a team every day."

The Broncos host the Oakland Raiders on Sunday, a game where Cutler will make his seventh NFL start. Walker offered one more take on Cutler.

"We all know he has a world of ability and he's confident in it," Walker said. "He knows what he can do so he's just got to keep going out there and showing it."

Lonestar
09-15-2007, 09:06 AM
Well there is a difference between not having talent around you in college, and not having talent around you in the pro's.

In college, you are playing against a bunch of 5 star blue chip all americans on one team. Vandy played against that year in and year out. The only thing they had was Cutler and even though he didn't have a ton of talent around him, he was still able to excel for himself and get into the NFL. He might not have won alot of games, but his talent was obviously noted.

In the pros, the playing field is more even. It comes down to more of an organizational thing and how bad do they want to spend money to improve. We are fortunate here in Denver to have an owner who is willing to put up a competitive team every year. In the early and late 80's, the Broncos weren't good at doing that. They had their all world QB and thought that was enough. SUre it worked getting to 3 super bowls in 4 years, but when they got there it was a huge difference in level of play. Look at what Montana had to work with compared to Elway. Worlds apart.

It wasn't until we found our diamond in the rough in TD, Sharpe, Rod, Eddie Mac, and brought back Shanahan that we started winning consistently and Super Bowls.

Offensively, this is the most talent ( young talent also ) that we have had since the SUper Bowl years. Its awesome to have a young qb, young WR's and RB's and overall team around him to all grow together.

Actually it was when Pat bought te team is when it took off befre then kaiser I think it was just wanted t take the money and run, he had teh only game in the sate unless you counted teh Buffaloes The Nuggets and he then devils were minor sports.

Pat took the broncos to a new level.

Tned
09-15-2007, 09:24 AM
If it ends up that Jay appears to be better than John was, I don't believe that should be credited to Jay alone, but the fact that he will have had much better teams around him than John did for most of John's career. So many years, John was a "one man show". Right now, Jay has a much better team around him than John had for it being Jay's first full year as starting quarterback.

Yep, there is really no comparison with how good this team is overall, compared to how so/so the Denver team was in John's first 10+ years here. Rarely did the Broncos have the same RB two years in a row for the 7 or 8 years prior to TD getting drafted. You are right, Jay might be great, but the team will support him as he gets there, much more than John's team did (until the last three or so years.)

Lonestar
09-15-2007, 09:40 AM
Yep, there is really no comparison with how good this team is overall, compared to how so/so the Denver team was in John's first 10+ years here. Rarely did the Broncos have the same RB two years in a row for the 7 or 8 years prior to TD getting drafted. You are right, Jay might be great, but the team will support him as he gets there, much more than John's team did (until the last three or so years.)

Actually it can be said that over the past 4-6 years outside if pooorti$$$ we have had a brand new RB each year. But is is the stability of teh Oline taht has allowed that to happen.

Before gibbs came to town the oline was pretty pathetic.

Broncos Mtnman
09-15-2007, 01:29 PM

Well, Elam didn't put a qualifier on it, so I'm not going to either.

I don't think anyone needs to get defensive, as if saying something positive about Jay belittles John's accomplishments.

It's a different league now than when John played too. That's why those "greatest ever" questions are so bogus, because rules and procedures (such as free agency) changes the game every few years.

When the comparison is made about Jay's performance being like Elway, no one is saying he is better, only that he possesses the same abilities and talent.

Jay is in his first year as a starter. Obviously he isn't in Elway's class yet. Even he admits that.

But when someone like Elam makes the comparison, I think it's noteworthy.

:cool:

PS. By the way, talent or not, Jay has already done something Elway never did, which is to tie a rookie record for multiple TD games in his first 4 starts. So, while he may not be in Elway's class yet, he is clearly on the right track to be there some day.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-15-2007, 06:27 PM

I don't think anyone needs to get defensive, as if saying something positive about Jay belittles John's accomplishments.

It's a different league now than when John played too. That's why those "greatest ever" questions are so bogus, because rules and procedures (such as free agency) changes the game every few years.

When the comparison is made about Jay's performance being like Elway, no one is saying he is better, only that he possesses the same abilities and talent.

Jay is in his first year as a starter. Obviously he isn't in Elway's class yet. Even he admits that.

PS. By the way, talent or not, Jay has already done something Elway never did, which is to tie a rookie record for multiple TD games in his first 4 starts. So, while he may not be in Elway's class yet, he is clearly on the right track to be there some day.

In no way was I getting defensive. I was just stating my opinion.

Simple Jaded
09-15-2007, 08:23 PM

Also, Jason Elam wasn't the kicker for The Drive or the AFC divisional Playoff game against the Oilers, so when he say's he wasn't a part of anything like this, he most likely is telling the truth. He's not just paying lip service....

TXBRONC
09-15-2007, 08:59 PM
Also, Jason Elam wasn't the kicker for The Drive or the AFC divisional Playoff game against the Oilers, so when he say's he wasn't a part of anything like this, he most likely is telling the truth. He's not just giving lip service....

I don't see that as Jason just paying lip service. He was apart of both Super Bowl wins.

DenBronx
09-15-2007, 10:47 PM
well one thing i do know. is the whole team seems to have more confidence in cutler than any other qb since elway. every time players talk about him they sing his praises and coming from one of the oldest broncos on the team i'll validate that opinion anyday of the year. elam was with john and helped john win both superbowls. im pretty sure he is impressed with cutler, along with the rest of the team, coaches, fans, rivals, cheerleaders, owners, commentators, analysists, sportscasters and probably God.

i like cutler for cutler, not cutler because he reminds me of elway. cutler needs to be his own man and have his own legacy. yeah there may be a lot of simularities like a canon arm, tough, pretty mobil, 4th quarter comeback ability, great awareness, leadership and may even look like elway appearance wise in some ways but cutler is a part of the new generation. this to me signifies that we have years ahead of us with a whole lot of wins and possibly another superbowl.

and did anyone see how intense cutler got last sunday? he looked pretty fired up after a bad play instead of the occasional "what me worry" look that plummer used to give us.