PDA

View Full Version : A perspective on the Spread Offense

Spiritguy
06-30-2010, 12:10 PM
Here's an interesting article about the spead offense. The author has some graphs to go along with it. Makes me think we may see more of the spread this year.

During a recent sit-down with two NFL offensive line coaches, I was taken by surprise. What caught my attention is the apparent shift in philosophy when it comes to using the spread formation to protect the quarterback in passing situations.

The coaches, one active and the other retired, surprisingly favored five-man protections over six or seven blockers under certain conditions.

Years ago, both old-school coaches believed in getting everyone blocked, but now see the potential benefits of less protectors and the use of spread sets to neutralize the opposing pass rush. As one coach pointed out as a criticism of using six or seven men, "The more people I crowd in around the QB to get the blitz blocked up, the more people are capable of rushing the passer."

First, let's explore how a spread formation with an empty set (no back in the backfield) or a formation with one running back, who has a free release, can protect the passer. Both strategies are known as "scat" protection, which means the offensive line will declare the five defenders they will block, leaving the quarterback responsible for the other rushers with a quick release and an accurate pass.

While there's risk involved, the spread formation also moves the extra defenders away from pass rush lanes and makes it very difficult to get to the signal-caller in time.

The rest of the article here. (http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d818e0966&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true)

sneakers
07-01-2010, 01:21 AM
Spread offense sucks balls.

Lonestar
07-01-2010, 03:15 AM
Get used to it.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Bosco
07-06-2010, 02:45 AM
Spread offense sucks balls.

That's funny, because it's been pretty damn successful at every level from high school to the NFL, including Josh McDaniel's version that shattered statistical records on way to becoming the greatest offense in NFL history and an undefeated regular season.

Lonestar
07-06-2010, 03:18 AM
But many still think that mikeys ZBS and modified WCO is going to save the day.

Since we were the #2 O in 08 that was great.

We don't need anything that actually wins games for us.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Bosco
07-07-2010, 04:02 AM
They might as well get over the ZBS. It had a great run but it's just not that effective anymore, especially in the redzone.

The WCO is a very good system if run right, but Shanny had been slipping for years.