PDA

View Full Version : The official Offseason signing Thread for the 9 fans here

Medford Bronco
06-07-2008, 12:52 PM
Here is the first one.

My Canes re-signed Patrick Eaves to a contract

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/rumors/post/Canes-sign-Eaves-to-3-year-4-2-million-deal;_ylt=AlWu3zbXEwR19lYFKha2DLVivLYF?urn=nhl,861 39

Canes sign Eaves to 3-year, $4.2 million deal

While his half-season with the Canes was plagued by injuries, Patrick Eaves cemented his place in Carolina's future plans Wednesday by signing a three-year contract worth $4.2 million.

Eaves will make $1.1 million this season, $1.4 million in 2009-10 and $1.7 million in 2010-11.

I hope he can finally be healthy and play like he did his rookie year when scoring 20 goals:beer:

SR
06-07-2008, 01:58 PM
We're up to nine fans now?! Holy smoke. We've almost doubled our hockey fan population here in less than a year.

Broncospsycho77
06-07-2008, 03:10 PM
Looking for the Avs to make a good splash this offseason, especially for a strong defenseman type... but first is the duty of resigning a good portion of the roster and keeping Joe Sakic out of retirement...

Jose Theodore has expressed to the public that he wants to remain an Av, which is always good, but negotiations still remain for Andrew Brunette, Adam Foote, Peter Forsberg and John-Michael Liles. Odds are, they all won't resign.

In other news, former Avs coach Joel Quenneville has interviewed with the Sharks about the head coaching job.

SR
06-07-2008, 06:13 PM
Foote will be re-signed. They are going to re-sign Forsberg if he feels he can play a full season or most of one. Bruno won't be an Av next year and I think the Avs are going to let JM Liles go as well so they can groom Cumiskey. I've got a really strange feeling that Joe is going to retire. Hopefully I'm wrong.

BroncoBJ
06-07-2008, 06:44 PM
Nothing beats offseason in hockey. :elefant:

pnbronco
06-07-2008, 07:32 PM
Nothing here yet. I wish we would hear something soon. Glad to you see JC4MVP. So you are one of us now, great job. So let the contracts begin.

Are you back now SR? Let me know if you hear anything, I just do not enjoy the other hockey board so I need to get my info from you....

East Coast Fan
06-07-2008, 07:35 PM
It will be interesting to see who my Pens can keep this offseason. Malone may go elsewhere, Hossa is a question mark, Gary Roberts is hinting at retirement, Georges Laraque may be let go. I also saw on the Pens board that Malkin supposedly had the "flu" in the beginning of the Finals; he certainly wasn't himself so if that is true that explains some of the questions about him. But once again, while it was disappointing to lose, they gained invaluable experience and if they can keep the "core" together who knows they may be back in the Finals next year.

You guys will get a charge out of this; as some of you know I coach U-12 Soccer, and one of our players is Danny Syvret-check out who was just traded to the Flyers (poor guy)-Danny Syvret. It actually is my Danny's cousin; he was in the Oilers organization and was traded the other day!!

So tomorrow at our last game I'm sure gonna have some fun with "my" Danny and tell him "it was nice to have you play for me; sorry that you were traded though"!! :eek: :D

Gentlemen, it has been a PRIVILIGE to have had these hockey discussions that we've had the last few months....you guys are awesome. :salute:

pnbronco
06-07-2008, 07:40 PM
Gentlemen, it has been a PRIVILIGE to have had these hockey discussions that we've had the last few months....you guys are awesome.

ECF did you forget something???? My birthday friend....

It's been a privilege for me as well. I guess it's ok that you think of me as "one of the guys"...:D :D

BroncoAV06
06-07-2008, 08:18 PM
All minor stuff so far.

www.nhlnumbers.com is the site to go to for lists of FA's and to check out contracts.

BroncoAV06
06-07-2008, 08:22 PM
TSN's top 10 RFA, none of which will be seen in an Avs uni at least.

P-M BOUCHARD

Why you would want to hand him an offer sheet: Bouchard has improved his play and his statistics each season since entering the league in 2002 and has established himself as a great playmaker. But with 13 regulars signed for about $32 million, Brian Rolston and Pavol Demitra hitting the open market and forward Marian Gaborik possibly testing the free agent frenzy next summer, the team could be in a payroll bind. Bear in mind, the cap is a ceiling and even if it reaches $56 million next season a team doesn't have to meet it as long as it reaches the salary floor. The Wild won't have an issue with the floor, but the team, like most others in the league, could still have a spending budget below the ceiling.

Not So Fast: As it stands, Bouchard is the Wild's No. 1 centre going into next season and GM Doug Riseborough is intent on locking him up as he hits his prime. Getting Bouchard under contract could come at the expense of losing Demitra or Rolston, but it would be worth the risk if he builds on his already-solid numbers.

JAY BOUWMEESTER

A big, puck-moving defenceman that plays well at both ends of the ice is always a premium in the NHL, and Bouwmeester is already a complete player in that regard. The Alberta native could be poised to land a bigger deal than those of teammates Nathan Horton and Stephen Weiss, and any outside offer at an obscene price could have GM Jacques Martin thinking twice.

Bouwmeester is not only the best defenceman on his team, but also arguably the best player not named Tomas Vokoun. Simply put, the Panthers can't afford to lose him from their young roster. Also, Martin has done very well signing key players like Horton (six-year deal), Weiss (six-year deal) and Bryan Allen (five-year deal) so there's no reason to believe he won't beat another GM to the punch in signing his top blueliner.

JEFF CARTER

The Flyers showed they're a team on the rise, but their payroll sits at about $48 million next season. Assuming the cap rises to the reported $56 million, another GM could step in and push his salary close to the league-set limit. Carter, a great two-way centre with a keen scoring touch, notched a career-high 24 goals and 53 points in his third NHL season and will only get better.

Not So Fast: The London, Ont. native is as highly regarded on this team as future captain Mike Richards. Granted, the team still has others to think about like unrestricted players Vaclav Prospal and Jason Smith, restricted free agent R.J. Umberger and a new face or two that may show up this summer. But both sides intend to get a long-term deal done first and let the rest of the pieces fall into place accordingly.

VALTTERI FILPPULA

Filppula could be the Dustin Penner of the offseason - a young, Stanley Cup-seasoned forward with a lot of upside. While he doesn't score the way Penner does (at least not right now), he was Detroit's most dangerous player on some nights, scoring big goals and playing a strong defensive game against forward Evgeni Malkin in the final.

With an impressive 2008 playoff run, the good news keeps coming for the Wings next season. All their core players are locked up for puck drop in October, with defenceman Brad Stuart being the only prominent UFA to consider. It's also tough to sign a player like Filppula (with just 19 goals and 36 points this past season) and try to predict how he'll progress over the next few seasons. His overall game is very impressive, but the stats make it tough to put a firm dollar amount on him. If a potential offer comes in low, the Wings should have no issue matching it. Also, Filppula helped a bit in Detroit's effort to sign free-agent centre Ville Leino, bringing in another Finn and signifying Filppula's willingness to stay.

M-A FLEURY

After struggling in his first few seasons and almost losing the No. 1 job to Ty Conklin, Fleury shone brightly down the stretch by leading the Penguins to the Stanley Cup final. At age 23, he already knows the pressure of performing in the postseason and has faced all sorts of adversity. From a cap perspective, it's no secret that the Penguins have a tough task in securing Fleury, Evgeni Malkin and Jordan Staal over the next couple of seasons. A lucrative outside offer for their No. 1 goalie could make them sweat.

GM Ray Shero doesn't need to sell his young players about the potential they have to be Cup contenders for years to come. That being said, a dreamy scenario could see Pittsburgh's young players take pay cuts for their new contracts and become a team that grows and wins together like the Edmonton Oilers of the 1980's. For that to happen, Fleury would have to be the first to make that wallet-sized sacrifice and sign a deal before another team shows interest. Even if a rival GM signs him to an offer sheet, it will be tough for Shero not to match it. Good goaltending is always a must in the playoffs.

MIKE GREEN

How much would you offer a third-year defenceman who went from 12 points and minus-10 in 2006-07 to 56 points (7th in the league) in 2007-08? That's a very tough question for general manager George McPhee as he goes to the bargaining table, and it would be an easy for another team to jump in and provide the answer for him.

With 16 regulars locked up for next season at about $31 million, McPhee has room to move. Also, no blueliner on the roster provided nearly as much offence from the point as Green did this past season. Case in point: Tom Poti was the next most productive defenceman with 29 points, followed by Jeff Schultz with 18. The Capitals got a great taste of the postseason in 2008, and needs Green in their lineup if they want to improve towards building a contender around Alexander Ovechkin.

ANDREI KOSTITSYN

Kostitsyn enjoyed a breakout year in 2007-08, playing on Montreal's No. 1 line with Alex Kovalev and Tomas Plekanec. He was a human highlight reel on most nights, dazzling even the most fickle Hab fans with his skating and stick work. With 29 goals and 53 points in his first full NHL season, he has the potential to be an elite scorer.

The Canadiens have about $31 million committed to 14 regulars next year, with Kostitsyn being the 'toughest' of their RFA's to sign. Josh Gorges, Mikhail Grabovski, Maxim Lapierre, Ryan O'Byrne and Jaroslav Halak aren't cornerstones the way Kostitsyn is just yet, and aside from unrestricted free agent Mark Streit, the team shouldn't have any big problems keeping their core together. Kostitsyn has already stated that he's happy playing in Montreal and wants to stay, and having younger brother Sergei around is a big incentive to do so.

PASCAL LECLAIRE

After years of development and growing pains, Leclaire has emerged as the bonafide starter the Jackets expected him to be when they took him eighth overall in the 2001 draft. The 25-year-old went 24-17-6 this season and tied for the NHL lead with nine shutouts with a struggling Columbus team that has yet to make the playoffs. A big, fat offer sheet for Leclaire could be a head scratcher for GM Scott Howson and make him think long and hard about Fredrik Norrena taking the reins.

Howson has refuted reports that negotiations aren't going well between the two sides. As of late May, he already sent a few contract scenarios for Leclaire and his agent Don Meehan to consider so the offer sheet process likely won't happen. The team also has about 15 regulars locked up for next season at about $22 million, with Rick Nash being the only 'big money' player with a $5.4 million cap hit. Not only will the team have no problem signing Leclaire, but they'll also have room - if the budget allows it - to add a good free agent or two.

ANDREJ MESZAROS

Meszaros has been solid on the Senators' blueline for the last three years, with an impressive plus-34 in his rookie campaign and averaging just over 36 points a season. The 23-year-old puts in Top 4 minutes and even logged in 'No. 1' minutes during this past season. That being said, another team could gamble on a giant offer sheet and give GM Bryan Murray a tough time juggling a payroll weighted heavily towards the Big Three of Daniel Alfredsson, Dany Heatley and Jason Spezza.

With roughly $20 million committed to the Big Three forwards next season, the Senators' saving grace could come if a) soon-to-be unrestricted free agent Wade Redden signs for less money to stay in Ottawa, or Redden signs a lucrative deal with another team. Another distinct possibility is trading troubled netminder Ray Emery, but Murray is having problems finding a dance partner. Either way, it's difficult imagining the Sens letting him go. Meszaros is arguably the team's best all-around blueliner.

COREY PERRY

Perry has been a prime time contributor everywhere he's played over the last three years. He won a gold medal with Canada's world juniors and a Memorial Cup with London in 2005, a Stanley Cup with the Ducks last year, and led Anaheim in goals and power play goals this past season despite missing 12 games. You normally can't buy experience like this, but you can this summer.

Thanks to the CBA's 'tagging' rule, the Ducks have a bit of a cushion for next season's payroll to fit Perry under the assumed $56 million cap. They also gave Scott Niedermayer and soon-to-be unrestricted free agent Teemu Selanne an end-of-June deadline on whether or not they'll stick around for another year. If they don't, that opens even more room for Anaheim to lock up their young star. And after what happened with Dustin Penner last season, do you want to be written into Brian Burke's bad book?

JONI PITKANEN

Drop the speculation of a two-on-one revenge match with Darcy Regier and Brian Burke taking on Kevin Lowe. Pitkanen didn't exactly have a banner year in 2007-08, missing 19 games with injuries and scoring a career-low 26 points. Budding blueliner Tom Gilbert recently signed a six-year, $24 million deal, and the Finnish defenceman won't be getting that kind of money from the Oilers. If another team is willing to give Pitkanen a big offer and bank on the chance that the 24-year-old will blossom, Lowe might just settle for a draft pick and use the cap room to focus on Marty Reasoner, Jarret Stoll and Curtis Glencross.

The Oilers still have the option of qualifying Pitkanen for $2.4 million to retain his rights, and reports indicate that they're going to do just that. But Pitkanen is still young, full of potential and has plenty of time to develop. If an offer sheet-scenario comes up, the Oilers could end up matching it if the price is right. If Gilbert pulls in $24 million for six years, it could be tough for a rival GM to offer Pitkanen anything close to that.

SHEA WEBER

Weber could be a blueline gem in the offer sheet game. He's a huge 6-foot-3, 200-plus pounder who has a powerful shot, thundering hits and a dominating presence at both ends of the rink. Some have even compared him to Calgary's franchise defenceman Dion Phaneuf, opening up speculation that a team would be tempted to sign him to Phaneuf-type money. "I think Shea is just as good," teammate and soon-to-be RFA Ryan Suter told NHL.com in March. And if a general manager follows Suter's up-close scouting report, Weber will be making his mark at the bank this summer.

With ownership issues and a need to shave salary, GM David Poile dropped free agents Paul Kariya, Tomas Vokoun and Peter Forsberg last summer and traded soon-to-be UFAs Kimmo Timonen and Scott Hartnell. It was a tough pill to swallow for hockey in Nashville, but the team persevered with a younger core of players and managed to make the postseason for the fourth year in a row. Weber was a huge part of that run, and Poile has every intent to get him locked up before July 1.

East Coast Fan
06-08-2008, 06:47 AM
Gentlemen, it has been a PRIVILIGE to have had these hockey discussions that we've had the last few months....you guys are awesome.

ECF did you forget something???? My birthday friend....

It's been a privilege for me as well. I guess it's ok that you think of me as "one of the guys"...:D :D

OOPS!!! A THOUSAND PARDONS...I forgot!! :eek: I was out in the sun and 95 degree heat working yesterday; I guess that it fried my brain...SORRY!! :lol: ;)

SR
06-08-2008, 08:46 AM
Oh how I would love to see Bouwmeester in an Avs sweater next year.

pnbronco
06-08-2008, 09:09 AM
OOPS!!! A THOUSAND PARDONS...I forgot!! :eek: I was out in the sun and 95 degree heat working yesterday; I guess that it fried my brain...SORRY!! :lol: ;)

It's ok ECF, I just had to rattly your cage. So 95 degree heat, so is that like my dog ate my homework...:laugh::laugh:. I was in the sun at Fan Fair yesterday, man am I spoiled (no comments from the hockey gallery). I hate standing in line for 1 1/2 hr to see Chris Kuper, a nice kid but all I have to do is call him during the season and he walks over to me. In fact he said what are you doing here? I told him at this point I'm not sure.

Thanks BroncoAv for the report, you are so good about keeping us informed about the updates. I would like to see Valtteri Filppula in an Avs jersey, but I'm sure we wont. He just seemed everywhere during the playoffs. Plus they kid is really nice and super cute :eek:, so it's a win, win... Guys thank you for keeping my favorite section going.

Medford Bronco
06-08-2008, 10:28 AM
Oh how I would love to see Bouwmeester in an Avs sweater next year.

Yeah but for that to happen signing a RFA will take 3 number 1 picks usually and I am sure none of the players listed is worth that.

underrated29
06-08-2008, 10:45 AM
I would love to see cuminsky get groomed in to the lineup. But not at the expense of liles. He is just too good, and I still think he has tons of room to get better.

Other than that i like and agree with what everyone said.

SR
06-08-2008, 10:52 AM
I would love to see cuminsky get groomed in to the lineup. But not at the expense of liles. He is just too good, and I still think he has tons of room to get better.

Other than that i like and agree with what everyone said.

You think Liles has a ton of room to get better? I don't. We need defenseman, not little people who play defense but would rather play offense. We need solid, stud D back there, not Liles OR Cumiskey....to be honest.

BroncoAV06
06-08-2008, 12:56 PM
Avs have no 1st, which means no RFA. You need puck movers on the blue line, for his size JML is a plus guy and I would like to see him back but if he gets a big offer might be hard for the Avs to give him something like that.

underrated29
06-08-2008, 01:42 PM
Yes I think he will get a big offer unfortunately. So he could very well be elsewhere.

JML- was excellent for us on d last year. He has the speed to back check of the o gets behind them. He also is like the only one besides leapold who will SKATE THE PUCK OUT OF THE ZONE.

None of our other guys do that. Or very well or very much. Look at det. Their d guys are jumping up and skating out of the zone.

We know about jml offensive skills, but one on one he usually takes care of business. Not because of his superior d skills, but his skating ability. He can hang with some of the best skaters and if you can keep up with them all you need to worry about is the body not the puck.

Granted if we could make a deal somehow of liles for blake or another hard nose, big time dman with a shot- it would be worth it as cuminsky isnt a huge dropoff. But liles is a great player. I think we need someone to compliment him, and he would loook a whole lot better.

SR
06-08-2008, 01:47 PM
The problem with our D is that no one is scared of it. We don't have a big, physical defenseman outside of Salei who really isn't that big, or that physical. We need a guy like Orbik (sp?) from Pittsburgh or Adam Foote circa 2001 when he would just man handle anyone who came near him. We need a defenseman that can intimidate people and we don't have that. We don't have a guy like Lidstrom or Zubov who everyone knows can score, but is also sound defensively and can knock the snot out of you when need be. People were scared of Rob Blake's hip check. People were scared of Scott Stevens when he lowered his shoulder. People were scared of Ray Bourque in more ways than one. That's what we need.

dogfish
06-08-2008, 02:10 PM
The problem with our D is that no one is scared of it. We don't have a big, physical defenseman outside of Salei who really isn't that big, or that physical. We need a guy like Orbik (sp?) from Pittsburgh or Adam Foote circa 2001 when he would just man handle anyone who came near him. We need a defenseman that can intimidate people and we don't have that. We don't have a guy like Lidstrom or Zubov who everyone knows can score, but is also sound defensively and can knock the snot out of you when need be. People were scared of Rob Blake's hip check. People were scared of Scott Stevens when he lowered his shoulder. People were scared of Ray Bourque in more ways than one. That's what we need.

since i don't live in CO i really don't get to follow the avs that much anymore, so people should take my opinion for what it's worth (not much)-- but i definitely agree. . . for years now i've wanted to see the team add that physical, intimidating presence on defense. . . get somebody nasty back there that will make opposing forwards nervous about going into the corners or in front of the net. . . .

pnbronco
06-08-2008, 10:39 PM
I hate to say it but I think you're right DF and SR. Teams are not afraid of us. When they brought in Hannan was that suppose to be his job? I liked what I saw with Salei. At times Foote and Salei seemed to have a intimidating presence. Salei is feisty but not big. So how long is Hannan's contract?

BTW it's great to see you here Dog, hope you stay, I like us being up to 9!!! Trust me you may not live in CO but you more about hockey than I do. I just love the Avs, most hockey players the great fans on our board :D (plus the boys let me stay)

pnbronco
06-09-2008, 08:48 AM
Does anyone know what's going to with Rob Blake? Does he still have contract with LA or is he looking to go anywhere else? I guess my real question is do you think he will play again next year in the West? Thanks...

BroncoFanatic
06-09-2008, 09:04 AM
We're up to nine fans now?! Holy smoke. We've almost doubled our hockey fan population here in less than a year.

That was my first thought, lol

I hope the Pens find a way to accomodate Fluery. IMO, they should sign Fluery and not worry so much about Malkin. I'll give Malkin the benefit of the doubt with being sick to a point. The level of play may drop off, still I don't think desire or heart should, which I still have questions about with him.

Flatinum
06-09-2008, 11:00 AM
Ron Wilson will be named Maple Leafs Head Coach at a press conference either Tuesday or Wednesday this week.

Deal is done.

BroncoAV06
06-09-2008, 01:44 PM
I hate to say it but I think you're right DF and SR. Teams are not afraid of us. When they brought in Hannan was that suppose to be his job? I liked what I saw with Salei. At times Foote and Salei seemed to have a intimidating presence. Salei is feisty but not big. So how long is Hannan's contract?

BTW it's great to see you here Dog, hope you stay, I like us being up to 9!!! Trust me you may not live in CO but you more about hockey than I do. I just love the Avs, most hockey players the great fans on our board :D (plus the boys let me stay)

Hannan has 3 years left at 4.5mil a year and will be an UFA 2011-12.

Blake is an UFA at the moment

pnbronco
06-09-2008, 03:18 PM
Hannan has 3 years left at 4.5mil a year and will be an UFA 2011-12.

Blake is an UFA at the moment

Thank you so much BV, you are just a wealth of information. Thanks for you info too Flatinum. I'm glad we are all still here. :elefant:

BigDaddyBronco
06-09-2008, 03:26 PM
So Hasek is going to retire (again). That should make Med happy. :D

Devilspawn
06-09-2008, 07:43 PM
Med is funny. :D One thread is titled "for the 5 fans here". Now he has one for the 9 fans. You counted the wrong way. :laugh:

Flatinum
06-09-2008, 08:35 PM
After 40 years on CBC the "Hockey Night in Canada" theme song has switched hands. CTV has purchased the rights to the song and will play it before games on TSN and RDS. The song we all grew up with on Saturday nights in the winter.

Probably not newsworthy in the US but it's front page up here. Huge story.

underrated29
06-09-2008, 09:22 PM
After 40 years on CBC the "Hockey Night in Canada" theme song has switched hands. CTV has purchased the rights to the song and will play it before games on TSN and RDS. The song we all grew up with on Saturday nights in the winter.

Probably not newsworthy in the US but it's front page up here. Huge story.

Yeah i saw that- its total crap.

Thnikkaman
06-10-2008, 09:09 AM

Can you name us all?

BroncoAV06
06-10-2008, 01:35 PM
as of Tuesday, June 10, 2008 2:13 AM.
Monday, June 9, 2008
Team Player Position Type Details From
Dallas Dan Jancevski D Signed Two-year contract
Dallas Toby Petersen C Signed Two-year contract
Detroit Dominik Hasek G Retired
Montreal Maxim Lapierre C Signed Two-year contract

Friday, June 6, 2008
Team Player Position Type Details From
Edmonton Ryan Potulny C Traded for Danny Syvret Philadelphia
Toronto Tim Stapleton C Signed as Free Agent
Carolina Daniel Manzato G Signed One-year contract
Philadelphia Danny Syvret D Traded for Ryan Potulny Edmonton

Big stuff still on the horizion.

underrated29
06-10-2008, 03:14 PM
Big stuff still on the horizion.

Wait a minute here.

Edmonton traded ryan potulny for phillies sveret. Then on the same day the teams traded potulny for sveret back again?

edit--- my bad, i read that wrong. :tsk:

Medford Bronco
06-10-2008, 04:07 PM
Med is funny. :D One thread is titled "for the 5 fans here". Now he has one for the 9 fans. You counted the wrong way. :laugh:

did you say something, i was too busy looking at your sig:eek::salute:

pnbronco
06-10-2008, 04:59 PM
Can you name us all?

The first 5 was easy:
Med
EastCoastFan
BRONOAV06
Seeing Red
pnbronco ( may have not been in the original 5, but I stayed here)

The next 4 was harder for me:
Underrated29
Broncofanatic
Thnikkaman
Flatinum

Then is got really fuzzy if these were drop ins or here to stays...
Dogfish
BigDaddyBronco
Broncospycho77
JayCutler4MVP
MissouriBronc
CoachChaz

BroncoBJ
06-10-2008, 05:06 PM
pfft.. I'm hear to stay :elefant:

I'm actually wearing an Avs shirt now :lol:
I think its the only hockey thing I own. I'm not real sure.

But the hockey fan base sure is growing :elefant:

pnbronco
06-10-2008, 05:10 PM
pfft.. I'm hear to stay :elefant:

I'm actually wearing an Avs shirt now :lol:
I think its the only hockey thing I own. I'm not real sure.

But the hockey fan base sure is growing :elefant:

Message to Med, message to Med to # is now 10 and before the night is over it may be higher. How exciting, it really is off season.....

BroncoBJ
06-10-2008, 05:13 PM
I'll do anything for Med :elefant:
And I'd feel honored to be Fan #10 :salute:

Flatinum
06-11-2008, 08:38 AM
Buyouts can start on Sunday, Draft is in 10 days (I'll be there) and Free Agency begins on July 1st. I think we'll start seeing some decent trades shortly.

Yesterday Cliff Fletcher said the Leafs were in "trade talks" with several teams.

Flatinum
06-11-2008, 09:22 AM
Ducks trade D Marc Andre Bergeron to Minnesota for a 3rd round pick.

A rumour making it's way around is the Pens will trade the rights to Malone and Orpik to Columbus for the 19th pick overall. Similar to what Nashville did with Philly last year.

pnbronco
06-11-2008, 09:43 AM
Hey Flat, I'm so glad you are here. Between you and BA you do seem to have a ear of what's going on. I look forward to reading all about it. :elefant:

dogfish
06-11-2008, 10:37 AM
A rumour making it's way around is the Pens will trade the rights to Malone and Orpik to Columbus for the 19th pick overall. Similar to what Nashville did with Philly last year.

would that be to free up money to sign fleury?

East Coast Fan
06-11-2008, 10:51 AM

I sure hope that this doesn't come true; I'd hate to lose either of those guys, especially Orpik.

Flatinum
06-11-2008, 11:09 AM
would that be to free up money to sign fleury?

Fleury and possibly Hossa. Not to mention the fact that Malkin and Staal are both RFA's after this year. In the new NHL you can't keep everyone.

pnbronco
06-11-2008, 10:07 PM
I just read this on nhl.com:

Vancouver Canucks forward Trevor Linden officially announced his retirement today, 20 years to the day, after the Canucks selected him with the 2nd overall pick in the 1988 National Hockey League Entry Draft at the Montreal Forum. Linden spent 16 of his 19 NHL seasons in a Canucks uniform.

A lot does seem to be happening. I hope Joe says he'll be back one more year soon.....

BroncoFanatic
06-12-2008, 09:28 AM
I'm #7 ?!?

SWEET!

(Will consider monetary offers for that prestigious number :D )

BroncoAV06
06-12-2008, 12:54 PM
Wednesday, June 11, 2008
TEAM
DAL: Signed goaltender Jonas Hiller and center Andrew Ebbett to two-year contract extensions.
CAR: Signed goaltender Michael Leighton to a two-year contract.
DAL: Traded center Marty Sertich to the Colorado Avalanche for a conditional seventh-round draft pick in 2009.
DET: Signed coach Mike Babcock to a three-year contract extension.
MIN: Re-signed defenseman Erik Reitz to a one-year contract.
VAN: Announced the retirement of center Trevor Linden.
Tuesday, June 10, 2008
TEAM
BUF:Announced an affiliation agreement with the Portland Pirates of the American Hockey League.
COL: Acquired center Marty Sertich from the Dallas Stars for a 2009 conditional pick.
Fired coach Marc Crawford.
MIN: Acquired defenseman Marc-Andre Bergeron from the Anaheim Ducks for a 2008 third-round pick.

Qucik little notes. ESPN is reporting that Malone and the Pens have opened talks, but am not an insider so can't read the whole story.

http://spectorshockey.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=656:nhl-free-agent-rumors-june-12-2008&catid=5:trade-rumors&Itemid=9

Thursday, 12 June 2008 07:59
The latest on Brian Rolston, Darcy Tucker, Jose Theodore, Brendan Morrison and more.

MINNEAPOLIS STAR-TRIBUNE/PIONEER PRESS: both reported on the status of negotiations between impending UFA forward Brian Rolston and the Minnesota Wild. Rolston said he's hopeful of reaching an agreement with the Wild. He's seeking a multi-year deal and apparently the Wild are willing to reach the terms he wants. Rolston adds that if the Wild are unable to re-sign him there's a marekt for his services this summer.

SPECTOR'S NOTE: Hat tip to GJ Berg. By the sound of things it's just a question of making the money work, as Michael Russo writes, so it's a good bet Rolston remains with the Wild.

ROCKY MOUNTAIN NEWS: Rick Sadowski reports Jose Theodore's agent said the Avalanche have made an offer to his client and he's discussed it with the goaltender, adding they'll know more about the prospect of his re-signing with the Avs over the next ten days or so.

SPECTOR'S NOTE: It appears the Avs are willing to retain Theodore, who as Sadowski notes will receive considerably less than the $6 million he earned last season even if he hits the UFA market. It's believed he wants to remain with the Avs so if the willingness is there a deal could be in place before July 1st.

VANCOUVER PROVINCE: Jim Jamieson reports Canucks forward Brendan Morrison's agent has not yet spoken with the team about a new contract for the impending UFA but Morrison suggests it's possible talks could start at the end of this week.

SPECTOR'S NOTE: Morrison's been plagued by injuries over the last couple of seasons, but given the lack of quality depth at center in this year's UFA market the Canucks could decide to retain him, although it's doubtful they'll increase his pay.

NATIONAL POST: Michael Traikos reports the agent for Darcy Tucker said his client is prepared for the possibility of the team buying him out and his playing elsewhere next season. While new head coach Ron Wilson during the press conference announcing his hiring hinted that Tucker might not fit into the team's future plans GM Cliff Fletcher said no decision has yet been made on the winger's future with the team.

SPECTOR'S NOTE: It all comes down to the cap hit: are the Leafs willing to have $1 million per season for the next six seasons eaten up by a buyout of Tucker's contract. If they're comfortable with that much dead cap space, he's a goner.

ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER: Dan Wood reports the recent re-signing by the Anaheim Ducks of goalie Jonas Hiller means the Ducks have over $51 million committed to next season's cap space, giving them no room to re-sign RFA Corey Perry before July 1st unless the team either moves some salary via trade.

SPECTOR'S NOTE: If Scott Niedermayer should announce his retirement before July 1st that should free up the necessary cap space, otherwise the Ducks could try to shop veteran blueliner Mathieu Schneider. Don't expect Brian Burke to allow Perry to be signed away via offer sheet like Dustin Penner was. Remember, the Ducks can spend over the cap limit on salaries (up to 7 percent, I believe) as long as they're under the cap a week prior to the start of the next season.

EDMONTON SUN: reports the Oilers and the agent for winger Curtis Glencross are talking again after weeks of stalemate but thus far there's no indication that any progress on a new contract have been made.

SPECTOR'S NOTE: Glencross and his agent better be careful, as there's a good possibility they might not get a better offer on the UFA market than what the Oilers are making. He's not a star player, in fact, and not to be cruel, but there are plenty of players of equal skill available. He's not irreplaceable for the Oilers and isn't in any position of strength.

DETROIT NEWS: Ted Kulfan reports Red Wings GM Ken Holland expects Dallas Drake to make a decision about retirement within the next two weeks.

SPECTOR'S NOTE: Hat tip to GJ Berg. Drake was fortunate to play for the Wings last season as they were the only team interested in him. He's had a long, successful career now capped by a Stanley Cup championship so it wouldn't be surprising if he opted to go out a winner.

NEW YORK POST: Larry Brooks reports the New York Rangers and New Jersey Devils are believed interested in signing prospect forward Blake Wheeler, who is eligible for UFA status after rejecting a contract offer from the Phoenix Coyotes.

ST. PETERSBURG TIMES: Damien Cristodero reports Lightning enforcer Andre Roy is hopeful the ouster of John Tortorella as head coach could give him the opportunity to re-sign with the Lightning. Roy was benched by Tortorella for the remaining twelve games of last season after serving a three-game suspension for making a throat-slashing gesture toward the Philadelphia Flyers bench (among other things) during a March 6th game.

underrated29
06-12-2008, 03:29 PM
The first 5 was easy:
Med
EastCoastFan
BRONOAV06
Seeing Red
pnbronco ( may have not been in the original 5, but I stayed here)

The next 4 was harder for me:
Underrated29
Broncofanatic
Thnikkaman
Flatinum

Then is got really fuzzy if these were drop ins or here to stays...
Dogfish
BigDaddyBronco
Broncospycho77
JayCutler4MVP
MissouriBronc
CoachChaz

Pn- i am quite saddend to see that i was of the fuzzy class. I may not be on a lot, and during the playoffs i get supersticious and wont post in these threads until my team wins, but i am here.....I am a die hard fan.....

I even play hockey......its my favorite game on xbox.....I somtimes move my couch and table so i can play hockey in my house..........I take my skates on cruises so i can play while on a cruise......I..........I.......I...I like hockey:tsk:

BroncoFanatic
06-12-2008, 03:41 PM
Qucik little notes. ESPN is reporting that Malone and the Pens have opened talks, but am not an insider so can't read the whole story.

http://spectorshockey.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=656:nhl-free-agent-rumors-june-12-2008&catid=5:trade-rumors&Itemid=9

I certainly hope they work something out! :woot:

BroncoFanatic
06-12-2008, 03:42 PM
Pn- i am quite saddend to see that i was of the fuzzy class. I may not be on a lot, and during the playoffs i get supersticious and wont post in these threads until my team wins, but i am here.....I am a die hard fan.....

I even play hockey......its my favorite game on xbox.....I somtimes move my couch and table so i can play hockey in my house..........I take my skates on cruises so i can play while on a cruise......I..........I.......I...I like hockey:tsk:

Awesome, but you can't have my #7 spot! :throwrock:

:D

underrated29
06-12-2008, 03:52 PM
Awesome, but you can't have my #7 spot! :throwrock:

:D

Ok, ok- just quite throwing those rocks at my head. I am going to have a lump there.

:elefant:

pnbronco
06-12-2008, 05:53 PM

OK I have worked for 80 hrs/ week for the last 2 weeks for free and my son graduated and I had to work on a banquet that went from 5 to 350 in 3 days and I can't get the young broncos to tell me yes or no on my golf tour and the dog ate my homework. You were not in the fuzzy, you just were not part of the first 5, you were # 6, BF is dancing elephant because he's is # 7 :confused: Thanks for the laugh I've had a yuckie day....

underrated29
06-12-2008, 05:59 PM
OK I have worked for 80 hrs/ week for the last 2 weeks for free and my son graduated and I had to work on a banquet that went from 5 to 350 in 3 days and I can't get the young broncos to tell me yes or no on my golf tour and the dog ate my homework. You were not in the fuzzy, you just were not part of the first 5, you were # 6, BF is dancing elephant because he's is # 7 :confused: Thanks for the laugh I've had a yuckie day....

Ok you are excused. Just dont let it happen again.:D

Ps- all that stuff i said was true. :sad:

pnbronco
06-12-2008, 06:26 PM
Ok you are excused. Just dont let it happen again.:D

Ps- all that stuff i said was true. :sad:

Mine was all true too, except for the dog ate my homework.

BroncoAV06
06-13-2008, 12:44 PM
Wrapping up the 07-08 season:

• James Norris Memorial Trophy, defenseman -- Nicklas Lidstrom, Detroit

• Calder Memorial Trophy, rookie -- Patrick Kane, Chicago

• Frank J. Selke Trophy, defensive forward -- Pavel Datsyuk, Detroit

• Lady Byng Memorial Trophy, most gentlemanly -- Pavel Datsyuk, Detroit

• Jack Adams Award, coach -- Bruce Boudreau, Washington

• King Clancy Trophy, humanitarian contribution to hockey -- Vincent Lecavalier, Tampa Bay

• Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy, perserverance, sportsmanship and dedication to hockey -- Jason Blake, Toronto

• Lifetime Achievement Award -- Gordie Howe

• Art Ross Trophy, points scoring leader -- Alexander Ovechkin, Washington

• Maurice Richard Trophy, goal-scoring leader -- Alexander Ovechkin, Washington

• William M. Jennings Trophy, goalies with fewest goals against, minimum 25 games -- Chris Osgood and Dominik Hasek, Detroit

• Lester B. Pearson Award, outstanding player -- Alexander Ovechkin, Washington

underrated29
06-13-2008, 01:05 PM
I watched that on tv last night.

datsyk getting two awards. I thought that zets would have gotten the selke trophy.

Bring on the draft baby!

Flatinum
06-13-2008, 01:19 PM
The Ottawa Senators (can't stand them) have named Craig Hartsburg as their new Head Coach. Hartsburg coached in the Ontario Hockey League this past season.

BroncoAV06
06-13-2008, 01:29 PM
Top 30 FA's:
http://thefourthperiod.com/freeagents/top30ufas.html

Names that stand out to fans around here:

1)Marian Hossa, RW
Arguably one of the most talented offensive players available this summer, Hossa will command a pretty penny.
2007-08: 72GP | 29G | 37A | 66PTS
Est. 2008-09 Salary: $8,700,000

Speculated Teams Interested: Pittsburgh, Boston, Montreal, San Jose

3)Joe Sakic, C
Sakic is expected to re-sign with the Avalanche, but he's still a UFA and one of the best out there.
2007-08: 44GP | 13G | 27A | 40PTS
Est. 2008-09 Salary: $6,000,000

Teams: Colorado

5) Kristian Huselius, RW
Despite a slow second-half, Huselius' offensive abilities will attract a lot of interest on the open market.
2007-08: 81GP | 25G | 41A | 66PTS
Est. 2008-09 Salary: $5,000,000

Teams: Calgary, Montreal, Toronto, Pittsburgh

11) Ryan Malone, RW
Unless the Penguins open up their wallets, Malone will cash it in with another team this summer.
2007-08: 77GP | 27G | 24A | 51PTS

Teams: Pittsburgh

13) Peter Forsberg, C
It looks like Foppa will be returning to the NHL next season, but will it be with Colorado? We'll soon find out.
2007-08: 9GP | 1G | 13A | 14PTS

Teams: Colorado, Philly

14) Brooks Orpik, D
The best physical, stay-at-home defenseman available this summer, Orpik is going to cash in as an unrestricted free agent.
2007-08: 78GP | 1G | 10A | 11PTS
Est. 2008-09 Salary: $4,000,000

Teams: Pittsburgh, NY Rangers, Edmonton

15) Dan Ellis, G
Ellis and the Predators appear to be having a hard time hammering out a deal. If he hits the open market, he'll attract much interest.
2007-08: 44GP | 23-10-11 record | 2.34GAA
Est. 2008-09 Salary: $3,000,000

Teams: Nashville, Colorado

16) Ron Hainsey, D
After solid back-to-back seasons with the Blue Jackets, Hainsey's likely to receive a solid raise with someone.
2007-08: 78GP | 8G | 24A | 32PTS

Teams: Columbus, Chicago, Buffalo, Carolina

20) John-Michael Liles, D
It appears Liles' tenure in Colorado has come to an end, and he'll be sought after by a few teams this July.
2007-08: 81GP | 6G | 26A | 32PTS

Teams: Chicago, New Jersey, Boston, NY Islanders, Buffalo

21) Jose Theodore, G
Theodore finally woke up this season and played well for the Avs in 07-08. The Avs want to re-sign him.
2007-08: 53GP | 28-21-4 record | 2.44GAA

Teams: Colorado

23) Rob Blake, D
With retirement a possibility, many hockey fans will keep a close eye on what Rob Blake does this summer.
2007-08: 71GP | 9G | 22A | 31PTS

Teams: Los Angeles, Colorado

25) Adam Foote, D
A stellar stay-at-home defenseman, Foote is expected to re-sign with the Avs or return to Columbus.
2007-08: 75GP | 1G | 15A | 16PTS

Teams: Colorado, Columbus

30) Michael Ryder, RW
Ryder's time in Montreal appears to have come to an end. Teams will be hoping he can return to 30-goal form.
2007-08: 70GP | 14G | 17A | 31PTS
Est. 2008-09 Salary: $2,500,000

Teams: Pittsburgh

Keep in mind that the teams are speculated but still is interesting as to a look at where players could be heading.

BroncoFanatic
06-13-2008, 01:34 PM
Malkin thinks an extension is in the works, nothing definite yet though

linky (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_572532.html?source=rss&feed=8)

BroncoFanatic
06-16-2008, 01:16 PM
The Pens file for arbitration (http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=365955)with Fluery

I hope they told him in advance they were going to do that just to buy more time, and with his agreement :ahhhhh:

It sounds like it /crosses fingers

Flatinum
06-16-2008, 01:22 PM
Top 30 FA's:
http://thefourthperiod.com/freeagents/top30ufas.html

Names that stand out to fans around here:

Keep in mind that the teams are speculated but still is interesting as to a look at where players could be heading.

Where's Mats Sundin's name. I'm sure most of the 9 hockey fans here have heard of him before. They'll be lining up to sign this guy if he doesn't go back to Toronto. $5 million expected salary????, if he hits the open market he'll get $7-8 million easily.

BroncoAV06
06-16-2008, 01:42 PM
Where's Mats Sundin's name. I'm sure most of the 9 hockey fans here have heard of him before. They'll be lining up to sign this guy if he doesn't go back to Toronto. $5 million expected salary????, if he hits the open market he'll get $7-8 million easily.

He is number 2 on the list, I just posted a few.

Mats Sundin, C
The Maple Leafs' captain could find himself playing on another team next season, which might be a good thing.
2007-08: 74GP | 32G | 46A | 78PTS

Toronto, Detroit, Montreal

BroncoAV06
06-20-2008, 01:09 PM
News and Rumors heading into tonights draft:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/draft2008/columns/story?columnist=burnside_scott&id=3452868

Few things this past week:

NSH: Signed defenseman Ryan Suter to a four-year contract.
ATL: Re-signed goaltender Johan Hedberg to a multi-year contract.
TBL: Acquired the rights to left wing Vaclav Prospal from the Philadelphia Flyers for a 2008 seventh-round pick and a conditional 2009 pick.
WAS: Signed left wing Oskar Osala to a three-year contract.
TOR: Acquired right wing Jamal Mayers from the St. Louis Blues for a 2008 third-round pick.
CAR: Acquired the rights to left wing Darcy Hordichuk from the Nashville Predators for a 2009 fifth-round pick; agreed to terms with defenseman Tim Gleason on a four-year contract.
STL: Acquired goaltender Chris Mason from the Nashville Predators for a 2008 fourth-round draft choice.

East Coast Fan
06-20-2008, 01:57 PM
Looks like Ryan Malone is the odd man out of the Pens resigning situation. I guess that they feel that he did okay but isn't good enough to spend big bucks to keep. I guess that I sort of agree with that but still don't like to see him leave...

BroncoFanatic
06-20-2008, 03:00 PM
Looks like Ryan Malone is the odd man out of the Pens resigning situation. I guess that they feel that he did okay but isn't good enough to spend big bucks to keep. I guess that I sort of agree with that but still don't like to see him leave...

Ack, he was a force for us in front of that net, we'll need to fill that role. Good luck to him if he does leave :salute:

pnbronco
06-20-2008, 09:58 PM

Sorry ECF, but on the good side I'll get to met him now since he's coming to the Blue Jackets. :D

BroncoAV06
06-21-2008, 03:28 PM
Marian Hossa's stay with the Pittsburgh Penguins could be over in a hurry, as general manager Ray Shero told reporters on Saturday that he has broken off talks with him and the star winger will become an unrestricted free agent on July 1.

Shero added that while Hossa will field offers, there's still a possibility that the Penguins could re-sign the Slovakian forward after the market opens.

The Penguins paid a steep price for Hossa at the February trade deadline, sending forwards Colby Armstrong and Eric Christensen, prospect Angelo Esposito and a first-round draft pick (Daultan Leveille) to the Atlanta Thrashers.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=241327

Interesting news for the Pens, Malone might not be gone just yet.

Few player moves from yesterday:

MON: Acquired left wing Alex Tanguay and a 2008 fifth-round pick from the Calgary Flames for a 2008 first-round pick and a 2009 second-round pick.
PHI: Acquired defenseman Steve Eminger and a 2008 third-round pick from the Washington Capitals for a 2008 first-round pick.
PHX: Acquired center Olli Jokinen from the Florida Panthers for defensemen Keith Ballard and Nick Boynton and a 2008 second-round pick; acquired a 2008 first-round pick from the Anaheim Ducks for two 2008 second-round picks.
CAR: Acquired the rights to left wing Darcy Hordichuk from the Nashville Predators for a 2009 fifth-round pick; agreed to terms with defenseman Tim Gleason on a four-year contract.
CAL: C Michael Cammalleri from Kings for draft picks.
CBJ: Acquired center R.J. Umberger and a 2008 fourth-round pick from the Philadelphia Flyers for 2008 first- and third-round picks.
LA: Acquired C Brad Richardson from Avs for 2nd round pick.

The Canadians also have teh rights to negotiate with Sundin.

BroncoAV06
06-25-2008, 12:59 PM
The Toronto Maple Leafs plan to buy out forward Darcy Tucker. Tucker, a 12-year veteran, has three years left on his contract and will be owed two-thirds of it -- or $6 million -- paid back over a six-year term by the Leafs. He signed a four-year extension with the team in February 2007 and had 18 goals and 34 points last season.

The Maple Leafs also put forward Kyle Wellwood and goalie Andrew Raycroft on waivers, possibly paving the way for their exit.

Other recent transactions:

TB: Bought out the contract of goaltender Marc Denis
BOS: Re-signed defenseman Mark Stuart to a multi-year contract extension.
CAR: Signed left wing Tuomo Ruutu to a one-year contract.
CHI: Signed defenseman Jordan Hendry to a two-year contract; signed defenseman Tim Hambly to a one-year contract.
PHI:Acquired defenseman Janne Niskala from the Nashville Predators for left wing Triston Grant and a 2009 seventh-round pick.
TB: Named Barry Melrose coach.
NSH: Signed defenseman Shea Weber to a three-year contract; signed goaltender Dan Ellis to a two-year contract.
CHI: Re-signed left wing Andrew Ladd to a two-year contract.

underrated29
06-25-2008, 01:08 PM
whoa so much has happened.

Great news that tanguay is out of the division. Man i miss him though. I also am a little surpised we traded richardson for a 2nd, thats good value for us. I didnt think he would be worth that much, dont get me wron i love him. He did play well for us.

For any canuck fans out there- on my most recent business trip i spent a lot of time with F Pat Oneil-

For those who dont know him he is a player who played in and out of the lineup and minors for the nucks. Kinda like a jd corbin was for the avs.

pnbronco
06-26-2008, 02:08 AM
San Jose Sharks Executive Vice President and General Manager Doug Wilson announced on Wednesday that the team has re-signed goaltender Brian Boucher and forwards Joe Pavelski and Jeremy Roenick.

I'm really happy about Roenick. I just love him and I'm really glad he going for another year. When I go to CA in Oct I'll get to see him and that makes me :D....

BroncoAV06
06-26-2008, 03:12 PM
Players news from the last couple of days:

Niedermayer To Return in 2008-09
Last season, it took months for Scott Niedermayer to decide whether he would return to the NHL. This time, he gave Anaheim plenty of notice as the veteran D-man announced Thursday he will play in 2008-09.

VAN: Claimed center Kyle Wellwood off waivers from the Toronto Maple Leafs.
SJ: Re-signed center Jeremy Roenick and goaltender Brian Boucher to one-year contracts and center Joe Pavelski to a two-year contract.
PHX: Acquired right wing Brian McGrattan from the Ottawa Senators for a 2009 fifth-round pick.
NYI: Extended qualifying offers to centers Jeremy Colliton, Frans Nielsen and Ben Walter, left wing Sean Bergenheim and Jeff Tambellini and defenseman Bruno Gervais.
FLA: Extended qualifying offers to centers Drew Larman and Stefan Meyer, left wings Gregory Campbell and Rostislav Olesz, right wing Anthony Stewart and defensemen Jay Bouwmeester and Martin Lojek.
DET: Signed defenseman Siarhei Kolasau to a two-year contract.
ANH: Signed center Brian Sutherby to a one-year contract extension.
NYR: Signed right wing P.A. Parenteau to a contract extension.
DAL: Extended qualifying offers to right wings B.J. Crombeen, Vojtech Polak, Konstantin Pushkarev, left wings Loui Eriksson and Francis Wathier and defenseman Vadim Khomitski.

Flatinum
06-27-2008, 01:13 PM
Bertuzzi waived and will be bought out.

Raycroft officially bought out.

It's going to be a busy next couple of days leading up to the second best day in Canada after Christmas. July 1st - Canada Day and The official start of NHL free agency.

BroncoAV06
06-27-2008, 01:24 PM
On the same day the Penguins learned they would have more money to spend this offseason, they discovered they still may not have enough to sign bruising defenseman Brooks Orpik.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3463852

DAL: Signed left wing Loui Eriksson to a two-year contract.
NYI: Waived center Shawn Bates.
Tampa and Lecavalier agree on 9-year, $77M deal.

Very excited for next week, FA opens and Friday is the 4th! Fire day!!!

Flatinum
06-27-2008, 02:00 PM
The Calgary Flames announced Friday that the team has re-signed centres Craig Conroy and Daymond Langkow, left wing Eric Nystrom and goaltender Curtis McElhinney. All four players were set to become unrestricted free agents next Tuesday.

BroncoAV06
06-27-2008, 03:05 PM
Interesting stuff:

Restricted Free Agent Compensation
Salary Range Compensation
Below $863,156 No Compensation
$863,156-$1,307,812 Third-round pick
$1,307,812-$2,615,625 Second-round pick
$2,615,625-$3,923,437 First- and third-round picks
$3,923,437-$5,231,249 First-, second and third-round picks
$5,231,249-$6,539,062 Two first-rounders, a second-round pick and a third-round pick.
$6,539,062 or more Four first-round picks

Looks at a few players in each range:
http://tsn.ca/columnists/scott_cullen/?id=241735&lid=sublink02&lpos=headlines_nhl

Flatinum
06-27-2008, 08:25 PM
Flyers resign Jeff Carter - 3yrs $15 million.

BroncoAV06
06-29-2008, 07:30 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3465304

PITTSBURGH -- The Tampa Bay Lightning acquired the short-term negotiating rights to Pittsburgh Penguins forwards Ryan Malone and Gary Roberts on Saturday for a conditional draft pick.

The deal allows the Lightning to talk exclusively to Malone and Roberts until the NHL free agency signing period begins Tuesday.
Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

Another look at some of the top D-men that will be available: UFA:

Here's a look at the top defensemen who could be available July 1:

Brian Campbell
All indications were that the smooth-skating defenseman acquired by the Sharks at the trade deadline from the Sabres would remain with childhood friend Joe Thornton in San Jose. But Campbell recently told GM Doug Wilson he wanted to return to the Eastern Conference for family reasons. So, the Sharks will have to move to Plan B, and the rest of the NHL, especially those teams in the Eastern time zone, is licking its chops at landing the top-rated defenseman on the market.

Although Campbell looked a little shaky in San Jose's opening playoff series against Calgary, he did play better against Dallas in the second round, even though the Sharks once again stumbled to an early exit. Still, Campbell had 19 points in 20 regular-season games in San Jose and averaged 29:19 in ice time during the playoffs. He will be a boon to any team which is looking to boost its power play and can afford to add about $6.5 million a year in salary. The New York Rangers will be back in the hunt and Atlanta, which has never had a top-notch puck mover and power-play quarterback, will likely take a run. If the Leafs can unload Bryan McCabe and his contract, Toronto might be a nice fit for Campbell, whose family is near London, Ontario.

Wade Redden
Redden's stock has fallen precipitously over the past couple of years. But there are a couple reasons for that, including the death of his mother and the multiple attempts by the Senators to deal Redden, who refused to waive his no-trade clause in deals that reportedly would have sent him to Edmonton and San Jose. This might be a good thing for interested teams because Redden has the potential to have a nice bounce-back season or two in a new locale and likely won't command the $6.5 million he was making in Ottawa. A member of the 2006 Canadian Olympic team, Redden has the ability to move the puck with speed and grace and has good foot speed. He's not particularly physical, but would help a team's power-play unit. Look for the Rangers to take a run at Redden. We're pretty sure Columbus GM Scott Howson and coach Ken Hitchcock, both of whom have Western Canadian roots, will pay a visit to Redden, who is from Lloydminster, Saskatchewan. If the Sharks lose Campbell, they could look to add Redden, who has lots of playoff experience thanks to his 11 seasons in Ottawa.

Ron Hainsey
Hainsey, who loved playing for Hitchcock, may yet end up back in Columbus, but like Ryan Malone, the emerging, young (he's 27) defenseman has a chance to land his first big deal and he may have to move on to get it. There will certainly be plenty of interest in the former 13th overall pick in 2000. Hainsey is big -- 6-foot-3, 209 pounds -- and he can move and shoot the puck, and may still grow into that all-around defensive talent. He won't command the dollars Campbell or even Redden will, so Hainsey will be a nice alternative for a team looking to add some help without breaking the bank.

Mark Streit
An interesting player, Streit finished tied for third among all NHL defensemen with 62 points, but spent some time playing forward for the Montreal Canadiens. He was also a bit of an adventure in his own zone, finishing at minus-6 on a good defensive team. Still, on a team that can play defense but needs to bolster its attack from the back end, Streit has proved he can handle the puck and knows his way around a power play (the Habs finished first in power-play efficiency last season). The Islanders will be looking for help in that area with the 29th-ranked power play. So will the Avs (who were 28th). If John-Michael Liles leaves, Streit might look good in Denver.

Brooks Orpik
During one memorable shift in Game 3 of the Stanley Cup finals, Orpik knocked down three different Detroit Red Wings. Some called it the million-dollar shift, a nod to his impending availability on the free-agent market. As Malone's stock went up during the Penguins' long playoff run, so too did Orpik's, playing with Sergei Gonchar on the team's top defensive unit throughout the postseason. He is rock solid and can play shutdown hockey on any team. The Penguins would like to keep him, but a lot will depend on what happens with Marian Hossa's and Evgeni Malkin's contract extension talks. So, it's iffy if Orpik will fit economically. The Rangers and Coyotes could use him. And depending on Rob Blake's situation in Los Angeles, Orpik would be a nice foil to the talented young defensemen in the Kings' stable.

ohn-Michael Liles
The former U.S. Olympian had a subpar regular season with 32 points, down from 44 and 49 the previous two seasons. But Liles played well in the playoffs and will definitely attract attention on the market for those who either can't afford or attract the interest of Campbell. Liles can skate and move the puck. The Rangers and Thrashers would likely be interested; that's provided, of course, the Avs don't keep Liles in the fold.

Adam Foote
Speaking of Avalanche defensemen ... Colorado GM Francois Giguere has his hands full keeping his retro squad intact. He doesn't know if captain Joe Sakic is coming back or if Peter Forsberg will be healthy enough to return. And then there's Foote, the old warrior he pried away from Columbus at the trade deadline. Foote will likely have to take something in the neighborhood of $3.5 million annually to stay in Colorado, less than Columbus was offering. If it falls to pieces, Foote will likely stay in the West, where he's played since the Avs moved from Quebec City after the 1995 playoffs. There's no obvious connection, but Foote's toughness might be a nice addition in Chicago, which would like to jump into the playoffs this upcoming season.

Paul Mara
It's hard to imagine the Rangers won't be looking to bring the 6-foot-4, 212-pound Mara back to New York, where he's been for a season and a half. But if the Rangers land a blue-chip blueliner, they may not have room financially. And with Marek Malik and Michal Rozsival also poised to hit free agency, there will be some changes along the Rangers' blue line. But if Mara is on the move again, he won't have trouble finding a new home. Back in Phoenix in 2005-06, Mara had 47 points and got consideration for the U.S. Olympic team. He's bounced around a bit and his production has dropped off during stops in Boston and now New York, but Mara could be a valuable addition to a team looking to add defensive depth with minimal maintenance.

Brad Stuart
The big, solid defenseman had a terrific playoffs and a particularly strong finals series for the Red Wings, tallying five points and a plus-9. Detroit GM Ken Holland has cap space, but has a lot of players he has to work into his lineup. Figure Stuart to remain in Detroit, but his stock is certainly up after a couple of off seasons bouncing around between Boston, Calgary and Los Angeles.

Rob Blake
The veteran defenseman was rumored to be on the move at the trade deadline, but he had a no-trade clause and GM Dean Lombardi couldn't find a fit that worked for the Kings and Blake. Hard to imagine he will leave Los Angeles, although Colorado seems to be the only logical exception to that.

Scott Burnside is the NHL writer for ESPN.com.

The Goaltenders, average group:

Here's a look at the top goaltenders who could be available July 1:

Cristobal Huet
Teams looking for top-notch goaltending help on the market are going to find the cupboard all but bare. Thus, Huet might end up resisting efforts from Washington to get him under contract in order to see just what kind of payday might await him. It's a risky move for both the Caps and Huet. It's hard to imagine a better place for a goaltender than with an emerging Washington team that looks like it could quickly become a Cup contender. True, coach Bruce Boudreau's style puts a lot of pressure on a netminder, but that's half the fun, isn't it? Huet played well for Washington after coming over at the trade deadline, posting an 11-2 record with a 1.63 goals-against average and .936 save percentage. He struggled somewhat in the playoffs, but remains the Caps' best option heading into next season. Los Angeles, Huet's former team back in the day, needs a front-line goalie; Tampa Bay may or may not have solved its long-standing goaltending woes by acquiring Mike Smith from Dallas at the deadline as part of the Brad Richards trade.

Jose Theodore
Colorado GM Francois Giguere is in the same boat as his counterpart in Washington, George McPhee: He faces the prospect of losing his starting netminder and having little to turn to for Plan B. During the second half of last season, Theodore rediscovered some of the magic that made him a Hart and Vezina Trophy winner with Montreal back in 2002. He was sensational in the Avs' first-round upset of Northwest Division winner Minnesota, but he may have hurt his market value with a tepid performance against Detroit in the West semifinals. The Avs would love to have Theodore back, given that Peter Budaj apparently is unready to be a starter and there are few options outside Huet on the market. Depending on circumstances, Washington could be interested, and there are questions about Martin Gerber in Ottawa and whether he's got the goods to lead the Senators deep into the playoffs.

Patrick Lalime
Lalime probably doesn't have enough left in the tank to warrant a starter's job, but he did turn in some nice work in relief of Nikolai Khabibulin last season in Chicago. Would the Sens return to Lalime, who was once their goalie of the future? He might be a nice mentor for young Carey Price in Montreal if the Canadiens choose to go with a veteran backup (which is what GM Bob Gainey should have done last season heading into the playoffs instead of relying entirely on Price and Jaroslav Halak, who had no NHL playoff experience).

Ray Emery
Speaking of former Ottawa netminders … someone will likely take a chance on Emery, who in the spring of 2007 took the Ottawa Senators to the Stanley Cup finals, but was recently bought out of his contract because he had become a pariah. If you're GM Dean Lombardi in Los Angeles, why not take a chance that Emery can get his life together? Colorado had good luck rehabilitating Theodore; if Theodore leaves, maybe Emery could pick up the pieces there. Detroit, too, will be looking for help for Chris Osgood, and Emery will be relatively cheap given his battered reputation.

Olaf Kolzig
The face of the Washington Capitals for many years is now looking for somewhere else to close out a stellar career because he lost his starting job to Huet after the trade deadline. He'd be a nice complement to Price in Montreal. Detroit will likely also take a look.

Ty Conklin
In many ways, Conklin helped save the Pittsburgh Penguins' season when starter Marc-Andre Fleury went down with a high-ankle sprain and then captain Sidney Crosby missed time with a similar injury. Conklin was sensational and kept the Penguins near the top of the Eastern Conference standings. He didn't play in the playoffs, but he's been a positive, calming influence in the dressing room. If he can't re-up in Pittsburgh, Detroit would be a nice landing spot.

BroncoAV06
06-29-2008, 07:44 PM
Look at some UFA forwards:

Marian Hossa
Contract talks have broken off with Hossa's adopted team, the Pittsburgh Penguins, after he declined to accept a multiyear deal that would have paid him north of $7 million annually. Guess the lure of playing with Sidney Crosby and winning a championship in Pittsburgh after recording 26 points in 20 postseason games wasn't enough. The Bruins are expected to be hot after Hossa, who has ties to GM Peter Chiarelli from their days in Ottawa. Phoenix has Hossa's younger brother, Marcel, but it would be a big salary bite to sign Marian Hossa for a Coyotes team that's trying to rebuild slowly and economically.

Vancouver GM Mike Gillis will be looking to bolster the Canucks' anemic offense with a winger that can play with the Sedin twins, and Hossa would be a nice fit there. But here's the thing with Hossa. Wherever Hossa ends up, the chances are good he will be that team's top-paid player; but his personality isn't necessarily one that jibes with those kinds of expectations, either on or off the ice. That's what makes his disinterest in Pittsburgh's offer so curious. He was a perfect complement to Crosby, yet he will be expected to be "the man" in most other markets, a role for which he is not ideally suited.

Mats Sundin
Leaf Nation went into collective shock when it was revealed at the draft that Montreal received permission to talk to Sundin's agent, J.P. Barry, about negotiating a deal before July 1. If Sundin decides he wants to try the market, the big center will have no shortage of suitors. Detroit, while stocked with talent, would almost certainly take a run at Sundin. Anaheim would like to add help down the middle, although GM Brian Burke will have cap issues if both Teemu Selanne and Scott Niedermayer want to return to Anaheim. Vancouver needs offensive help and Sundin would give them a great one-two punch down the middle with Henrik Sedin. The New York Post has reported the Rangers have interest, too.

Ryan Malone
The Pittsburgh native will be looking to break the bank July 1 as one of a small group of talented, physical wingers on the market. Malone had a breakout season with the Stanley Cup finalist Penguins; he had 27 regular-season goals and 16 postseason points playing mostly with Evgeni Malkin. The Penguins won't be able to afford Malone, who will be hotly pursued by Columbus, a team desperate to get into the playoffs for the first time. Minnesota, Malone's adopted summer home, also will be in on the bidding. Vancouver could be interested, too. The New York Rangers will be looking for defensive help, but could use Malone's blend of physicality and scoring touch to help get more out of centers Scott Gomez and Chris Drury. While it might be a stretch to assume Malone consistently will be a 30-goal scorer, his fearlessness and ability to kill penalties make him a desirable asset.

Markus Naslund
It's an intriguing situation for the Vancouver captain, who, before the lockout, was considered a top-10 offensive player but is now a second-tier player. Naslund's numbers have tumbled from 104 points in 2002-03 season to 55 last season, and a change of scenery could do wonders for the talented Swede. If Hossa and Malone leave the Penguins, GM Ray Shero will be looking to add another talented winger and maybe two to flank centers Crosby and Malkin. Hard to imagine a better situation in which to revive Naslund's flagging career, especially given that he'll be looking at a lot less money than the $6 million he earned in 2007-08. Gillis has said he's still interested in Naslund remaining a Canuck, but both sides appear content to wait until after July 1 to see what the landscape looks like.

Pavol Demitra
There's no doubting Demitra's skill, yet things never really came together for him in Minnesota after coming over from Los Angeles in a 2006 draft deal. Maybe it was coach Jacques Lemaire's stifling defensive style or maybe it was Demitra. Some GMs question Demitra's heart, but there will still be suitors, most notably Vancouver, where Demitra's former agent, Gillis, is now GM.

Brian Rolston
Speaking of the Wild, contract talks haven't gone as smoothly as either side would like in Minnesota, and there are rumblings Rolston will take his booming slap shot elsewhere come July 1. If that's the case, and Demitra moves on, that will put significant pressure on GM Doug Risebrough to fill those gaps in the Wild lineup. As for Rolston, it's easy to see him pounding home Crosby or Malkin passes in Pittsburgh or quarterbacking a New York Rangers power play that ranked 22nd in the league despite a bevy of talented players up front.

Michael Ryder
Here's another interesting situation. Coming out of the lockout, the native of Bonavista, Newfoundland, tallied back-to-back 30-goal seasons in Montreal. Yet, last season, he fell out of favor with coach Guy Carbonneau, spending considerable time in the press box and slumping to 14 goals in 70 games. For a team looking for a big winger who's shown he can score at the NHL level, Ryder will certainly command much less money than others in this free-agent class. The new ownership group in Tampa has promised to bring in free agents, and Ryder will be looking for a new start. The Islanders will always struggle to land top-notch free agents and Ryder might benefit from playing under coach Ted Nolan, who's terrific at reclamation projects.

Sean Avery
The agitating diva has apparently ended his run on Broadway and will now take his abrasive act on the road. There are few players like Avery, who has considerable offensive skills to go with his toughness and ability to get under the skin of opposing players. Witness his work on New Jersey netminder Martin Brodeur during the Rangers' first-round victory over the Devils this past spring. The issue, as it always will be for teams considering employing Avery, is whether the toll on dressing-room chemistry is worth it. Dallas co-GM Brett Hull has connections with Avery dating back to their days as players in Detroit. Of course, there's always Toronto, where characters of all shapes and sizes have thrived over the years, or at least enjoyed the limelight. Avery is from the Toronto area, although he did once say he'd never play in Canada because they take their hockey too seriously. If there was ever a team looking for some character, or at least characters, it's the Florida Panthers, and wouldn't that be a nice surprise for rookie coach Pete DeBoer. And there's always L.A. (again), where the lifestyle seems to suit Avery's disposition.

Cory Stillman
The two seasons since Stillman was such a key part of the Carolina Hurricanes' 2006 Stanley Cup run has been disastrous. He scored only five times over 43 games in 2006-07 after missing half the season recovering from shoulder surgery. Last season, he chipped in 19 points in 24 games but was a minus-8 after he was dealt to Ottawa at the trade deadline. The Senators likely will try to keep Stillman in the fold because he's low maintenance, comes relatively inexpensively and should still be able to deliver 70-plus points. But if the Sens can't lock him up, Stillman will make a nice addition to some team looking for power-play help and secondary scoring. His playmaking ability was a boon to Eric Staal and Erik Cole during Carolina's championship season and he could help young players like Nathan Horton and/or Stephen Weiss reach their potential in Florida.

Sergei Fedorov
The one-time Hart and Selke Trophy winner and three-time Stanley Cup champ fit nicely with Washington's dynamic Russians, Alexander Ovechkin and Alexander Semin, and it's hard to imagine that GM George McPhee won't work hard to keep Fedorov in the fold. Fedorov won't command anything near the $6 million he made last season, the last of a multiyear deal signed in Anaheim; but he still showed he's a productive NHLer. Teams looking for help down the middle include Atlanta and Montreal. Fedorov, along with killing penalties, chipped in 13 points in 18 regular-season games for the Caps and five more points in seven playoff contests.

Ladislav Nagy
The talented Slovak has slowly disintegrated from talented prospect to overpaid underachiever. He did not play after Jan. 18 with a neck injury last season in Los Angeles and will once again hit the free-agent market in search of a home to finally make good on his potential. Hard to imagine Nagy will see anything close to the $3.75 million he made last season, but someone will take a flier on him. Wonder if playing with countryman Demitra, perhaps in Vancouver, might jumpstart a stalled career? Word is Nagy has been working out diligently and will be ready to prove doubters wrong at training camp.

Miroslav Satan
Here's another player whose reputation is not one of heart and soul. There were no takers at the 2008 trade deadline when the Isles were looking to move the Czech winger. Although he slumped to 16 goals last season, Satan has scored no fewer than 26 goals and as many as 40 in the past eight NHL campaigns. That's not chicken scratch, even if he drives coaches and teammates crazy. Would he fit with countryman Jaromir Jagr and the Rangers?

Brendan Morrison
One of the few centers available this summer, he could well end up back in Vancouver. Still, he might be another player who could do well with a change of scenery after he was out between Dec. 10 and March 10 with a wrist injury before suffering a season-ending knee injury in late March. The likable B.C. native managed one goal after his return from the wrist injury and posted only nine on the season. Still, if healthy, he's a 20-goal man with decent skill and would be a welcome addition to any dressing room. Atlanta, playing with Ilya Kovalchuk, might be a nice landing place.

Other potential unrestricted free agents
Radim Vrbata, Michael Peca, the recently bought-out Darcy Tucker, Kristian Huselius and Gary Roberts.

Among those unrestricted free agents who will almost certainly re-sign with their current teams or retire are Colorado captain Joe Sakic and longtime teammate Peter Forsberg, who won't play if his foot issues aren't resolved by training camp; Anaheim forward Teemu Selanne; Rangers forward Brendan Shanahan; Red Wings defenseman Chris Chelios. Jagr appears ready to re-sign with the Rangers or head to either the Czech Republic or Russia to close out his Hall of Fame career.

Few RFA tid-bits:

There is another issue to look for: the specter of the offer sheet.

Last summer, the Edmonton Oilers shook the hockey world when they submitted an offer sheet first to Buffalo restricted free agent Thomas Vanek and then to Anaheim forward Dustin Penner. The Sabres reluctantly matched it; the Ducks didn't and obtained a series of draft picks from the Oilers.

This summer, many of the top restricted free agents already have been locked into long-term deals or presented with qualifying offers, but there are a few who could be of interest to rival general managers.

• Tops among this group would be Florida defenseman Jay Bouwmeester, although the Panthers likely would match any offer.

• The other marquee defenseman not yet under contract is Mike Green of Washington. The smooth-skating Alberta native had a breakout season for the Caps, who won't want to see him leave. Still, it's going to cost a bundle to lock him up, likely in excess of $4 million annually.

• Columbus isn't likely to stand by and watch netminder Pascal Leclaire walk out the door via an offer sheet.

• Corey Perry won't be signed until after July 1, but GM Brian Burke won't watch another position player leave Anaheim via the offer sheet.

• Minnesota forward Pierre-Marc Bouchard will be unrestricted a year from now, and the Wild aren't crazy about paying him only to see him walk next summer, so he could be had and at a reasonable amount.

Flatinum
06-29-2008, 09:14 PM
TSN reporting Liles resigns with Avs - 4 yrs, Avs also sign Foote 2yrs $6 million. Also Tampa signs Malone and Roberts pending ownership approval. Malone's deal 7yrs $31.5 mill.

BroncoAV06
06-29-2008, 09:57 PM
Happy to have Lile back and only at 4 mil, chance to rebound next year and hopefully be a big part of the PP and a staple on the blue line. Foote 3 mil is not bad, looks like he will finsih up his career with the Avs. He will be leaned on alot this year.

Malone for 7 mil, Tampa is shooting for a return this year but wow, good move for Malone. Well heard the contract averages ot to around 4 mil a year, if so that is a better deal for the LIghtning. If Stamkos lives up to #1 overall, Vinny, TB has some good blocks to compeat soon.

Also hearing that Tampa has the rights to negotiate with Rolston!

pnbronco
06-29-2008, 10:47 PM
TSN reporting Liles resigns with Avs - 4 yrs, Avs also sign Foote 2yrs $6 million. Also Tampa signs Malone and Roberts pending ownership approval. Malone's deal 7yrs $31.5 mill.

I think this is great news, thank you Flatinum. Thank you BA for all the news you have been keep posting. I really like both these guys and I'm glad Liles settled before the deadline. Plus Footer was so happy to be back in Denver, plus his kids are Bronco fans, it's all good....

Flatinum
06-30-2008, 06:18 AM
The Edmonton Oilers have acquired defenceman Lubomir Visnovsky from the Los Angeles Kings in exchange for forward Jarret Stoll and defenceman Matt Greene

Flatinum
06-30-2008, 10:13 AM
Gentlemen,

We're a day away from the free agent frenzy (maybe) so I figured I'd share with you the two best sites on the net for up to the minute breaking transactions and signings.

You probably all know www.tsn.ca, the other great site is www.sportsnet.ca.

Legit Canadian sites, not at all like hockeybuzz.com, they generally are 100% accurate with their reporting.

East Coast Fan
06-30-2008, 02:47 PM
Also Tampa signs Malone and Roberts pending ownership approval. Malone's deal 7yrs $31.5 mill.

The "breakup" of the team has started already....:tsk:

Flatinum
06-30-2008, 04:15 PM
The "breakup" of the team has started already....:tsk:

I don't think that's the case at all, the main pieces are still there and with Staal and Malkin being RFA's next year giving an "overrated" Malone $4+ mill a year would have been dumb imo. Crosby's signed as is Whitney and they'll get Fleury done. The Orpik situation will be interesting, he's a solid young dman but I wouldn't over pay him either. Roberts is 42 and not in their long term plans anyway.

The Pens will be fine and still one of the favourites to win the East in 08-09.

East Coast Fan
06-30-2008, 06:39 PM
I don't think that's the case at all, the main pieces are still there and with Staal and Malkin being RFA's next year giving an "overrated" Malone $4+ mill a year would have been dumb imo. Crosby's signed as is Whitney and they'll get Fleury done. The Orpik situation will be interesting, he's a solid young dman but I wouldn't over pay him either. Roberts is 42 and not in their long term plans anyway.

The Pens will be fine and still one of the favourites to win the East in 08-09.

Well, look at it this way; Malone is gone, Hossa doesn't want to stay, Orpik BETTER stay-we're down two players already and maybe more going! Whitney can go anywhere that he wants for all I care; he made so many mistakes last season that I can't understand why they would be worried about keeping him-he once looked like the "heir apparent" to Gonchar's job, but didn't do much last season. I'd give Letang another shot rather than see Whitney flub up. Yes, the "core" is still in place but losing anyone hurts; even Roberts had his moments although he's pretty much out of gas. Hopefully they'll add some good players on as the season gets closer; Shero did a heck of a job wheeling and dealing the last few years.

Broncospsycho77
06-30-2008, 09:32 PM
Good for the Avs. Keeping the Foote/Sakic (:pray:) combo in will definitely keep a good thousand more in the Pepsi Center per game... and they're pretty good at hockey, too... Liles... eh, hopefully he breaks out again one of these days, but right now, he's just a contributor.

pnbronco
06-30-2008, 09:52 PM
Good for the Avs. Keeping the Foote/Sakic (:pray:) combo in will definitely keep a good thousand more in the Pepsi Center per game... and they're pretty good at hockey, too... Liles... eh, hopefully he breaks out again one of these days, but right now, he's just a contributor.

I love this...:pray: So we are still playing the waiting game....:nervous: Come on Joe, deep down you know you want to, join Adam.....

underrated29
06-30-2008, 10:18 PM
liles is more than a contributer. He is a big time player for us. Sure he didnt score as many goals this year as in years past, but his overall defensive play did go up from years past. Plus he is only in like his 4th or 5th year. He still is young and learning.

What we need is a player to compliment his style of play. Like many have said, a big mean NASTY! A Blake, an atwater if you will patrolling our blue line and back.

Either way great news! Now we just need joe and a healthy fopa....a dash of hossa wouldnt hurt either, or Naslund???? hmmmm.. Maybe???

BroncoAV06
07-01-2008, 01:45 PM
Sorry but Hossa can stay away. Avs could get two plays that can contribute for what Hossa is going to cost. They ar going to have to have back up plans for Fopa and Sakic anyway, I don't think Fopa can play a whole year with his foot.

Oilers have made some good moves so far with trades.

The Oilers have traded hard-hitting left winger Raffi Torres to the Columbus Blue Jackets in exchange for 21-year-old centre Gilbert Brule, and sent defenceman Joni Pitkanen to the Carolina Hurricanes for winger Erik Cole.

The Oilers have now made three trades in the last few days. On Sunday they acquired defenceman Lubomir Visnovsky from Los Angeles for forward Jarret Stoll and defenceman Matt Greene.

Oh man Burno signs with MIN...

Tuesday, July 1
TIME (ET) TRANSACTION
2:02PM Pittsburgh Penguins re-sign UFA D Mark Eaton to a 2 year deal worth $2-million
1:58PM Minnesota Wild sign UFA forward Andrew Brunette (undisclosed).
1:33PM Vancouver signs RFA forward Kyle Wellwood to a 1 year deal worth $997,500.
12:55PM Boston signs UFA forward Blake Wheeler to an entry-level contract.
12:52PM Lightning sign UFA forward Radim Vrbata to a $9-million, three-year contract.
12:04PM Anaheim re-sign forward Corey Perry to a five-year deal worth $26.625-million which will average $5.325-million a year.
11:58AM Pittsburgh Penguins sign forward Pascal Dupuis to a three-year deal which will average $1.4-million per year.
11:58AM Detroit Red Wings and veteran defenseman Brad Stuart have agreed to terms on a 4 year contract that averages 3.75 per year.
11:35AM New Jersey re-signs forwards Jay Pandolfo (3 years, $7.5-million) David Calrkson (undisclosed) and Barry Tallackson (undisclosed). Declines option on forward Sergei Brylin.
10:21AM New Jersey agrees to terms with defenceman Bryce Salvador to a four-year deal worth $11.6 million (average of $2.9 million per season).
8:45AM Washington re-signs defenceman Mike Green to a four-year deal worth $21 million (average of $5.25 million per season).

The Calgary Flames have acquired restricted free agent forward Rene Bourque from the Chicago Blackhawks in exchange for a future second-round draft pick.

The Nashville Predators have traded defenceman Marek Zidlicky to the Minnesota Wild for prospect Ryan Jones and a second round pick.

Pit close to ext. with Malkin:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=242152&lid=sublink02&lpos=headlines_nhl

Monday, June 30
TIME (ET) TRANSACTION
6:53PM Detroit Red Wings re-sign defenceman Andreas Lilja to a two-year contract.
6:45PM Buffalo Sabres re-sign forward Paul Gaustad to a four-year, $9.2 million contract.
6:39PM San Jose Sharks re-sign forward Jody Shelley to a two-year contract.
5:55PM Tampa Bay Lightning sign forward Vaclav Prospal to a multi-year contract.
8:03AM Tampa Bay Lightning sign forward Gary Roberts to a one-year contract.

News from TSN.

underrated29
07-01-2008, 01:56 PM
ooh, wings and stuart- thats not what i wanted to see.

Crap, I knew we were going to let bruno walk. the wild are quietly doing well, bruno, zidlicky.

Stupid arse wild, wings.

BroncoAV06
07-01-2008, 02:05 PM
http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=297110&postcount=90

More news to add to previous post:

3:03PM Colorado signs UFA G Andrew Raycroft to a 1 year deal (undisclosed)
Washington signs UFA G Jose Theodore to a 2 year deal (undisclosed)
2:50PM Phoenix signs UFA D Kurt Sauer to a 4 year deal (undisclosed)

Well Budja has a back-up.

underrated29
07-01-2008, 02:07 PM
whoa. It must be worth like 3 mil a year for jose- because we werent that far off from our contracts on a 2-3 year at about....what...2 mil.

Ok- its budaj time.

I am kinda disappointed that we lost jose to tell you the truth.

underrated29
07-01-2008, 02:11 PM
ahh the coyotes can have kurt. I liked him, he was playing solid for a while, but he is just to slow for our team imo.

Good luck to him though.

raycroft is decent signing i suppose.

underrated29
07-01-2008, 02:25 PM
wooo- Bruno cahsed in. 3 year 7 mil. Nice job! I like him, but i dont really think he was worth that much to us.

I would really like to see blake come back here. But i am all for the low key approach.

underrated29
07-01-2008, 02:28 PM
dam- since broncav isnt in here at the moment looks like

finger just signed with toronto. There goes that idea.

BroncoAV06
07-01-2008, 02:29 PM
2.5 mil a year is not bad at all, Burno is worth that easy.

Jose 2 years at 9 mil, 4.5 mill thats a bit much.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=242180&lid=headline&lpos=secStory_nhl

Raycroft for only $800,000, see if he can get some form back but again another goalie that has struggled lately, but its Peters job.

Sad to see Finger slip away.

Tuesday, July 1
TIME (ET) TRANSACTION
3:24PM Toronto signs UFA goaltender Curtis Joseph to a 1 year deal worth $700,000
3:24PM Toronto signs UFA defenceman Jeff Finger to a 4 year deal worth $3.5-million a season
3:09PM Phoenix signs UFA forward Todd Fedoruk to a 3 year deal (undisclosed)
3:07PM Detroit signs UFA goaltender Ty Conklin to a 1 year deal worth $750,000
3:07PM Montreal re-signs RFA forward Andrei Kostitsyn to a 3 year deal worth $3.25-million a season

Conklin was a big boost to the Pens last year, looks like the Wings could have another solid combo this year.

TIME (ET) TRANSACTION
3:43PM Chicago signs UFA goaltender Cristobal Huet (undisclosed)
3:41PM Florida signs UFA forward Cory Stillman to a 3 year deal worth $10.6-million
3:40PM NY Rangers sign UFA forward Aaron Voros (undisclosed)
3:40PM Pittsburgh signs UFA forward Eric Godard (undisclosed)
3:38PM Tampa Bay signs UFA forward Adam Hall to a 3 year deal worth $1.8-million

Well Tampa raids the Pens again.

underrated29
07-01-2008, 02:34 PM
2.5 mil a year is not bad at all, Burno is worth that easy.

Jose 2 years at 9 mil, 4.5 mill thats a bit much.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=242180&lid=headline&lpos=secStory_nhl

Raycroft for only $800,000, see if he can get some form back but again another goalie that has struggled lately, but its Peters job.

Sad to see Finger slip away.

Yes, thats very excessive for jose.

So far we have lost:

2 defenseman
1 goal
1 forward

What do they have contigent wise if fopa and joe decide to hang it up?

I know we got some youth, but maybe a little more experience could help us out.

Thnikkaman
07-01-2008, 02:59 PM
whoa. It must be worth like 3 mil a year for jose- because we werent that far off from our contracts on a 2-3 year at about....what...2 mil.

Ok- its budaj time.

I am kinda disappointed that we lost jose to tell you the truth.

And I am super excited about it. I think he was a waste of money. He may have had a resurgence at the end of the season, but it ended with the Detoilet series. I think Budaj has great potential, and I hope he lives up to it.

Flatinum
07-01-2008, 03:06 PM
Avs sign Darcy Tucker - 2yrs $4.5 mill.

Nice p/u imo. Avs fans will love his intensity.

p.s Raycroft is horrible.

Flatinum
07-01-2008, 03:08 PM
Maple Leafs sign D Jeff Finger.

BroncoAV06
07-01-2008, 03:12 PM
Ya not high on Raycroft but needed a back up. Tucker, interesting. Wonder who gets bumped, Cody?

underrated29
07-01-2008, 03:23 PM
I am not sure but we have a ton of intensity players, We need some more skill guys instead.

cody,tucker,lappy,mcleod, jd corbin (although he really isnt, but so far thats what we have played him as in his few plays. fast as hell though). I know there is a couple more.

Not knocking the signing as he is a good grinder which is always nice, but i would like to see a little more oomph on the defense.

Flatinum
07-01-2008, 03:33 PM
I am not sure but we have a ton of intensity players, We need some more skill guys instead.

cody,tucker,lappy,mcleod, jd corbin (although he really isnt, but so far thats what we have played him as in his few plays. fast as hell though). I know there is a couple more.

Not knocking the signing as he is a good grinder which is always nice, but i would like to see a little more oomph on the defense.

Tucker has more skill than anyone of those players. He's not your classic grinder, he's a small skilled guy that plays hard and isn't afraid to get his nose dirty. Most of those other guys are borderline NHLer's.

underrated29
07-01-2008, 03:59 PM
Yikes.

YVR offered sundin a 2 year 20 mil deal. I saw it on the tsn tv thingy. I sure hope not. It would be nice to see yvr blow all their money on him, but i dont want to face him 9 times a year.

BroncoAV06
07-01-2008, 04:19 PM
Well Svatos and Wolski should be back and depending on his knee is a force on O. Well I can see why the Avs stayed away from Jeff, 4 yrs/ 14 mil. Lots of money being thrown out today, good that Avs have not got sweept up in it so far. Some #'s, cap 56.7 have to spend 40.6, max player 11.3. Oilers have an offer out to Hossa, Campbell to CHI.

dogfish
07-01-2008, 08:36 PM
sorry U29, but i am so glad brunette's gone. . . it's silly, i know, but i can't stand the guy ever since he scored the goal that knocked the avs out of the playoffs when minnesota upset us in the first round at the beginning of the decade ('02, maybe?). . . didn't help that i dropped $450 on tickets. . . :frusty:

that was patrick roy's last game. . . .

Flatinum
07-02-2008, 11:54 AM
Detroit signs Marion Hossa - 1yr $7.4mill.

The rich just got richer.

underrated29
07-02-2008, 12:02 PM
F****!!! F*****!!!!!! Fu*****

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

of all the places he had to go

Broncospsycho77
07-02-2008, 12:04 PM
Damn you, Detroit. Damn you to hell.

BroncoAV06
07-02-2008, 12:32 PM
Well it happens. Going to make betting Detriot that much harder but that much better when you can do it.

Wednesday, July 2
TIME (ET) TRANSACTION
1:22PM Dallas Stars sign UFA Forward Sean Avery to a four-year, $15.5 million contract
1:00PM Calgary Flames sign UFA defenceman Jim Vandermeer (undisclosed) and UFA forward Curtis Glencross (undisclosed).
12:45PM Vancouver Canucks sign UFA goaltender Curtis Sanford. (Undisclosed)
12:35PM Detroit Red Wings sign UFA forward Marian Hossa to a one-year contract worth $7.4 million.
12:01PM Vancouver Canucks sign UFA forward Ryan Johnson (undisclosed)
11:13AM Carolina Hurricanes sign RFA defenceman Joni Pitkanen to a three-year contract worth $12 million.
11:13AM Carolina Hurricanes sign UFA defenceman Josef Melichar to a one-year contract worth $1 million.
10:20AM Tampa Bay Lightning re-sign RFA defenceman Janne Niskala, to a one-year deal.
9:18AM Tampa Bay Lightning re-sign RFA forward Ryan Craig to a two-year contract worth $1.575-million.

Tuesday, July 1
TIME (ET) TRANSACTION
9:58PM Boston sign forward Michael Ryder to a 3-year deal worth $12 million
9:50PM New York Rangers re-signed goaltender Steve Valiquette (undisclosed)
8:06PM New York Islanders sign defenceman Mark Streit to a five-year contract worth $20.5 million
7:59PM Minnesota sign forward Craig Weller to a two-year contract worth $600,000 a season
7:44PM Tampa Bay Lightning sign forward David Koci to a one-year, two-way deal worth $525,000 in the NHL, $100,000 in the minors
7:37PM New York Rangers sign UFA defenceman Wade Redden to a six-year contract worth $39 million
7:18PM New Jersey Devils sign UFA forward Bobby Holik to a one-year contract worth $2.5 million
6:42PM Toronto Maple Leafs sign UFA forward Niklas Hagman to a four-year contract worth $12 million
6:42PM New York Rangers re-sign UFA defenceman Michal Rozsival to a four-year deal worth $20 million
6:34PM Vancouver Canucks sign UFA forward Darcy Hordichuk to a two-year deal
6:33PM Philadelphia Flyers sign UFA forward Nate Raduns to a one-year deal
6:32PM Philadelphia Flyers sign UFA forward Glen Metropolit to a two-year deal
6:24PM New Jersey signs UFA forward Brian Rolston to a four year deal worth $20.25-million
6:15PM New York Rangers sign UFA forward Patrick Rissmiller to an undisclosed deal
6:06PM Philadelphia signs UFA defenceman Ossi Vaananen to a one year deal worth $1-million
6:01PM Columbus signs UFA defenceman Mike Commodore to a 5 year deal worth $18.75-million
5:40PM Chicago signs UFA defenceman Brian Campbell to an 8 year deal worth $56.8-million
5:04PM Buffalo signs UFA goaltender Patrick Lalime to a 2 year deal worth $2-million
4:27PM Ottawa signs UFA goaltender Alex Auld to a 2 year deal worth $2-million
4:14PM Tampa Bay signs UFA goaltender Olaf Kolzig to a 1 year deal worth $1.5-million (plus bonuses).

BroncoFanatic
07-02-2008, 12:39 PM
dammit dammit dammit

:tsk:

Thnikkaman
07-02-2008, 12:45 PM
I think at this point I hate the Red Wings more than the Raiders, Chiefs, and Chargers combined.

Flatinum
07-02-2008, 01:18 PM
Pens sign Malkin to a 5yr extension. Salary details to follow.

underrated29
07-02-2008, 01:29 PM
Good for them!!!

Glad they did that, and glad the red wings couldnt get their dirty little hands on him too.

Flatinum
07-02-2008, 01:52 PM
Pens sign Malkin to a 5yr extension. Salary details to follow.

$43.5 million.

East Coast Fan
07-02-2008, 02:25 PM
Detroit signs Marion Hossa - 1yr $7.4mill.

The rich just got richer.

But he wouldn't take $7 million to stay in Pittsburgh? Guess that .4 million swung the deal....:tsk:

Flatinum
07-02-2008, 02:39 PM
But he wouldn't take $7 million to stay in Pittsburgh? Guess that .4 million swung the deal....:tsk:

Nor would he take the reported 9yr $81 million offer from the Oilers.

Flatinum
07-02-2008, 02:40 PM
Thrashers sign D Ron Hainsey - 5yrs $22.5 million.

underrated29
07-02-2008, 02:43 PM
He wants to win a cup plain and simple. Chances are that det will win another one within the next 7 years if not sooner.

BroncoAV06
07-02-2008, 02:52 PM
Well its only a one year deal. Think he could float around to which ever team is the fav in the off season?

underrated29
07-02-2008, 03:52 PM
Well its only a one year deal. Think he could float around to which ever team is the fav in the off season?

Thats a great point!

I didnt realize he was such a big disruption in the LR, of course he should fit right in with the guys in det, but that could definitely hold true.

I am jsut happy he is not in our division. Any news on sundin and the casucks?

pnbronco
07-02-2008, 04:19 PM
Thats a great point!

I didnt realize he was such a big disruption in the LR, of course he should fit right in with the guys in det, but that could definitely hold true.

I am jsut happy he is not in our division. Any news on sundin and the casucks?

UR I can see your blood pressure going up from here. It'll be ok, I have no idea why I feel that way, but somehow I do. So you watchers of all that is going on, will Chelios be back? What about Blake?

I know I'm probably been in the sun too much lately (BTW the Golf Tourn went really, really well), but I think Joe is going to sign for 1 more year. I think with Adam signing for 2 years it just gives him a comfort/old friend zone. Plus I heard he was really happy when Tony was named head coach. I really think Joe would have let them know he was not going to be back before the 1st if that was what he had decided. So keep me informed, this mind needs the info, I'm so glad I can get on the hockey board again and not just post to myself.....:elefant:

pnbronco
07-02-2008, 04:24 PM

Well ECF he may some strange habit and need the extra .4. The good news is that you get to hate Detroit as much as we DO. How the heck do they keep Stuart and sign Hossa, plus keep the other guys they have, what kind of cap are they working with???? I just told UR to not let his blood pressure go crazy so I had better back away from the key board for a little while....Right....:mad:

pnbronco
07-02-2008, 04:26 PM
Thrashers sign D Ron Hainsey - 5yrs $22.5 million.

Flat and BA thank you so much for keeping us informed. Hey Med where are you????? :confused:

BroncoAV06
07-02-2008, 04:46 PM
Det is smart with money, they were like 13 mil under the cap this off season.

Flatinum
07-02-2008, 05:06 PM
Pens resign Orpik - 6yrs $22.5 million.

Requiem / The Dagda
07-02-2008, 06:52 PM
Hossa just got on my d-bag list. At least the Pens are signing their studs at home, we gonna be ballin' next year again fosho.

BroncoFanatic
07-03-2008, 08:37 AM

I read that he turned down $9 mil a year from Edmonton, which would indicate he is just going where he thinks he has the best chance of winning a cup I guess...

This story references the Oilers offer to Hossa (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_575817.html?source=rss&feed=8)

East Coast Fan
07-03-2008, 11:08 AM
pens Resign Orpik - 6yrs $22.5 Million.

Good!!!!

pnbronco
07-03-2008, 11:13 AM
Hey I just saw this on the Avs message board, trying to see anyone had any real insight on Joe :laugh: It's pretty cool about the teams and their salaries and gave me a better feel for what's going on.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=COL

Flatinum
07-03-2008, 01:41 PM
Pens sign F Miroslav Satan - 1yr $3.5 million and F Ruslan Fedotenko 1yr $2.5 million.

Also deal with Fleury almost done - 7yrs $35 million.

Medford Bronco
07-03-2008, 01:52 PM
Pens sign F Miroslav Satan - 1yr $3.5 million and F Ruslan Fedotenko 1yr $2.5 million.

Also deal with Fleury almost done - 7yrs $35 million.

Fedeotenko is a good signing.

Satan used to be good, but maybe with good players he will excel:beer:

Fleury must be signed.

oh btw Flat how good is this Pitkanen player my Canes traded for?:confused:
The gave up one of my fav players in Cole, who has not been the same since Orpik ran him into the boards in 06

BroncoFanatic
07-03-2008, 02:26 PM
According the the Pittsburgh Trib (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_575876.html?source=rss&feed=8) the Fluery deal is done

:elefant::elefant::elefant:

BroncoAV06
07-03-2008, 03:22 PM
From what I have heard about J. Pit he has talent but his heart does not always seem to be there.

Flatinum
07-04-2008, 08:33 AM
Fedeotenko is a good signing.

Satan used to be good, but maybe with good players he will excel:beer:

Fleury must be signed.

oh btw Flat how good is this Pitkanen player my Canes traded for?:confused:
The gave up one of my fav players in Cole, who has not been the same since Orpik ran him into the boards in 06

Pitkanen at one time (3-4yrs ago) was thought to be one of the best defenseman prospects in the game. Size, skates well, skill - the whole package. He's yet to live up to that billing. He's young so that still all may come together.

I think Cole is on the downside even though he's under 30. He plays that crash and bang style and is injured alot. This could work out well for the Canes, at the very least it's a wash.

Flatinum
07-04-2008, 09:25 AM
Lightning D Dan Boyle agrees to waive NTC.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=242464&lid=headline&lpos=topStory_main

pnbronco
07-04-2008, 10:41 AM
6:47PM Minnesota Wild sign UFA forward Antti Miettinen to a three-year
contract.

5:57PM San Jose Sharks sign UFA defenceman Rob Blake to a one-year, $5
million contract.

4:29PM New York Rangers sign UFA forward Markus Naslund to a two-year,
$ 8 million contract and UFA defenceman Dmitri Kalinin to a one-year
contract.

3:52PM Colorado Avalanche sign UFA defenceman Daniel Tjarnqvist to a
one-year contract.

From TSN, I found these really interesting. I had no idea Rob was looking to go to another team, at least I'll still get to see him. I thought Antti was really happy in Dallas. So Naslund out of the west now. For some reason Tjarnqvist really surprises me. So happy 4th everyone, I hope you have a great day...

Flatinum
07-04-2008, 01:14 PM
Jagr officially signs in Russia (Omsk) - 2yrs $35 million (tax free).

Wow!

Broncospsycho77
07-04-2008, 01:15 PM
Didn't see that one coming...

BroncoAV06
07-04-2008, 01:42 PM
He played over there and wanted to go back, was only a matter of time for JJ and he is ballin. As for the Avs needed that 7th d-man for depth.

Flatinum
07-04-2008, 07:38 PM
He played over there and wanted to go back, was only a matter of time for JJ and he is ballin. As for the Avs needed that 7th d-man for depth.

$35 Million tax free probably had a little something to do with him wanting to back to Siberia.

BroncoAV06
07-05-2008, 02:47 AM
Haha, looks like the Leafs wanted to sign Sauer instead of Finger, explains the size of the deal. They felt Kurt was much improved but got Finger in the end!

Denver Native (Carol)
07-05-2008, 10:21 AM
Haha, looks like the Leafs wanted to sign Sauer instead of Finger, explains the size of the deal. They felt Kurt was much improved but got Finger in the end!

The comments last night on this is that, although the Leafs will never admit it, they had the stat sheets on Sauer and Finger, and got mixed up as to which one of the two did what last year??????????

pnbronco
07-05-2008, 10:31 AM
The comments last night on this is that, although the Leafs will never admit it, they had the stat sheets on Sauer and Finger, and got mixed up as to which one of the two did what last year??????????

Oh my land, I really wondered about that. For my own selfish reasons I'm glad I'll still get to see Kurt. Man I would hate to be management in the Leaf organization. I can't believe they gave Finger that much money for that long!!! No wonder Phoenix gave Kurt a 4 year deal, ouch for him too, he just had his 4th baby.

pnbronco
07-05-2008, 10:36 AM

Hey BA where did you hear this??? I just can't believe they messed up this bad. The other bad side is that both these teams saw something special in Kurt and the last few years Phoenix has gotten better and better, he could end up bitting us in bad place, wow. :eek: When I saw that Carol has posted I was hoping it was good news, man what a mess.....

BroncoAV06
07-05-2008, 11:47 AM
Heard it on FSN Live.

East Coast Fan
07-08-2008, 03:06 PM
My Pens keep signing these "role" players (other than Satan and Fedotenko) but I trust Ray Shero; he seems to make all of the "right" moves so if he thinks that it'll help the team than I believe it!

underrated29
07-08-2008, 04:25 PM
That is by far the funniest thing I have ever heard!!!!LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

regarding finger and sauer.

Just Imagine what Jeff Finger was thinking.

OK- I am an up and comming potential player. I did a few small roles with the avalanche and maybe some club will see that and give me a 2 million contract if i am lucky. Or I can stay with the avs for about 1.6. HMMM??????

Oh, whats that you say toronto? YOu want me to play for you for 5 years at 14 mil. F*** YEAH!!!! Where is the dotted line? Where is it!? Give me that pen now!!!!! I dont want to talk to anyone else. Screw what the avs are going to offer me. I dont care. Get this thing done!

WOOOO HOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pnbronco
07-08-2008, 11:31 PM
That is by far the funniest thing I have ever heard!!!!LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

regarding finger and sauer.

Just Imagine what Jeff Finger was thinking.

OK- I am an up and comming potential player. I did a few small roles with the avalanche and maybe some club will see that and give me a 2 million contract if i am lucky. Or I can stay with the avs for about 1.6. HMMM??????

Oh, whats that you say toronto? YOu want me to play for you for 5 years at 14 mil. F*** YEAH!!!! Where is the dotted line? Where is it!? Give me that pen now!!!!! I dont want to talk to anyone else. Screw what the avs are going to offer me. I dont care. Get this thing done!

WOOOO HOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know I can't believe it. On the other side what is poor Kurt thinking, man I worked so hard and Jeff gets that kind of money. So I had better sign with Phoenix and now it's like what???? He got my money and I'm tied up for 4 years, poor Kurt...

Flatinum
07-09-2008, 09:52 AM
Did the Leafs give Finger too much money - probably, but if you look around the league most teams gave free agents too much money.

But I'd rather have Finger on my team than Sauer.

Finger has played one year in the league and got better as the year went on (his gaff in the playoffs has no bearing on this). Does he have upside, maybe and that's what the Leafs are banking on. 6 other teams offered him the same type of deal Toronto did.

As for Sauer he is what he is, an average NHL defenseman. A number 5 or 6. Nothing more. The Leafs have plenty of those guys. Some say Phoenix over paid for him.

underrated29
07-09-2008, 10:17 AM
I do have to agree there. I would much rather have finger on my team than sauer. But at the same time its still freaking hilarious.

BroncoAV06
07-09-2008, 01:28 PM
As much as the Leafs want to spin it it is still a ridiculous contract. With the NHL being so close to going away at one point, all the money issues, owners sure do not seem to be smart with signing off on these deals that GM's are offering. Players on the other hand are loving it.

pnbronco
07-21-2008, 11:02 PM
So what's going on with Chris Chelios? I have not heard anything about him and he is not on the payroll list. Just wondering if anyone had heard anything...

Flatinum
07-22-2008, 08:51 AM
[QUOTE=BroncoAV06;304495]As much as the Leafs want to spin it it is still a ridiculous contract. With the NHL being so close to going away at one point, all the money issues, owners sure do not seem to be smart with signing off on these deals that GM's are offering. Players on the other hand are loving it.[/QUOTE

Hainsey, Huet, Theodore, M.Green, Wideman, Ryder, Foote, Salvador, Commodore, Redden, J.Smith, B.Campbell......I can keep going. All ridiculous contracts.

The only saving grace for them is that being the richest team in the league they can afford to do so. Not that it's got them anywhere in the last 41 years.

Medford Bronco
07-22-2008, 10:29 AM
[QUOTE=BroncoAV06;304495]As much as the Leafs want to spin it it is still a ridiculous contract. With the NHL being so close to going away at one point, all the money issues, owners sure do not seem to be smart with signing off on these deals that GM's are offering. Players on the other hand are loving it.[/QUOTE

Hainsey, Huet, Theodore, M.Green, Wideman, Ryder, Foote, Salvador, Commodore, Redden, J.Smith, B.Campbell......I can keep going. All ridiculous contracts.

The only saving grace for them is that being the richest team in the league they can afford to do so. Not that it's got them anywhere in the last 41 years.

Hey at least there are no Canes on that list :salute:

and btw Flat, I was watching the NHL Network last night when in 1976-1977 Darryl Sittler scored 4 goals in a playoff game vs my Favorite team (lol) the Flyers. :beer: I could watch that over and over.

Flatinum
07-22-2008, 11:40 AM
[QUOTE=Flatinum;318038]

Hey at least there are no Canes on that list :salute:

and btw Flat, I was watching the NHL Network last night when in 1976-1977 Darryl Sittler scored 4 goals in a playoff game vs my Favorite team (lol) the Flyers. :beer: I could watch that over and over.

The Leafs and Flyers has some great playoff games in the mid 70's. Tiger Williams, Dave Schultz, Bobby Clarke, Darryl Sittler.....etc.

Speaking of Sittler......

Remember this like it was yesterday. 9 years old, Saturday night, the Leafs vs the Big Bad Bruins. Sittler's historic night. A record that will never be broken imo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GqeFP7ubPs

Medford Bronco
07-22-2008, 04:35 PM
[QUOTE=Medford Bronco;318072]

The Leafs and Flyers has some great playoff games in the mid 70's. Tiger Williams, Dave Schultz, Bobby Clarke, Darryl Sittler.....etc.

Speaking of Sittler......

Remember this like it was yesterday. 9 years old, Saturday night, the Leafs vs the Big Bad Bruins. Sittler's historic night. A record that will never be broken imo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GqeFP7ubPs

I have Darryl Sittlers book and it was excellent.

I was a Bruins fans as a kid and kinda still like them (not as much as the Whalers/Canes though). That was one of the best games of all time for a player and in Don Cherrys book or Dick Irvins book about coaches Cherry said that he felt bad for Dave Reese who never played an NHL game after that historic night :beer:

My favorite Leaft moments came in the 1993 or 1994 seasons when they beat the Wings in ot when Nicoli Borochevsky (sp) scored the GW goal in ot vs them on a tip in game 7. Also the win over the Hawks in Chicago 1-0 when Felix the Cat was unbelievable.
I do like the Hawks as well.. God do I miss the old Norris Division. Awesome Hockey. Also miss a real network (remember I am in the US Flatinum) ESPN doing the game. Gary Thorne should be on hockey, not some of the jokers on Versus, although I do like Doc Emerick doing them. HNIC is better, especially in the early rounds when Versus is too cheap to get their own crew there and picking up the HNIC or TSN feeds :salute:

Medford Bronco
07-22-2008, 04:40 PM
Great source for people who love stats or cant fully remember
something that happened in a game many years ago. :D
For the 9 fans here.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/nhl19271994.html

pnbronco
07-22-2008, 06:27 PM
Hey Special 8 thank you for posting again. I just miss hockey so much. I know camp starts this week and I'll be out of town, I think it's been about 5 years since I've missed the first day of camp, but it's hockey that I'm really missing. So all you have a great week and post lots of interesting things so I can read them when I get back home....

Flatinum
07-23-2008, 12:46 PM
Great source for people who love stats or cant fully remember
something that happened in a game many years ago. :D
For the 9 fans here.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/nhl19271994.html

Great site, I've been viewing it for years. I actually use it to find out if people are bullshi**ing about where they played hockey. Anyone who played at least 1 game of NCAA, Junior, Minor or NHL is in this database. You'd be surprised how many people I've come across, through mostly work that claim to have played Junior hockey.

Flatinum
07-23-2008, 12:50 PM
[QUOTE=Flatinum;318110]

I have Darryl Sittlers book and it was excellent.

I was a Bruins fans as a kid and kinda still like them (not as much as the Whalers/Canes though). That was one of the best games of all time for a player and in Don Cherrys book or Dick Irvins book about coaches Cherry said that he felt bad for Dave Reese who never played an NHL game after that historic night :beer:

My favorite Leaft moments came in the 1993 or 1994 seasons when they beat the Wings in ot when Nicoli Borochevsky (sp) scored the GW goal in ot vs them on a tip in game 7. Also the win over the Hawks in Chicago 1-0 when Felix the Cat was unbelievable.
I do like the Hawks as well.. God do I miss the old Norris Division. Awesome Hockey. Also miss a real network (remember I am in the US Flatinum) ESPN doing the game. Gary Thorne should be on hockey, not some of the jokers on Versus, although I do like Doc Emerick doing them. HNIC is better, especially in the early rounds when Versus is too cheap to get their own crew there and picking up the HNIC or TSN feeds :salute:

HNIC is solid. TSN and Sportsnet are good as well. I can't watch the NBC feeds, horrible.

Don't get me started on the 92-93 playoffs.

Two words - Gretzky's highstick.

underrated29
08-27-2008, 03:05 PM
No Retirement For Super Joe Sackic.

He Stays! He Stays!!!!!!!

dogfish
08-27-2008, 03:27 PM
sweeeet!

:elefant:

PN will be so happy. . . .

Broncospsycho77
08-27-2008, 05:28 PM
Woo! Go Joe!

That's pretty much been the second instance of good news this whole offseason for the Avs, but can only do wonders for team chemistry.

pnbronco
08-27-2008, 09:33 PM
That stinker, he waits till I drive all the way to San Diego to announce it. I'm going over to the Avs thread to remind all of you I said he would, I was just afraid I had jinxed it. BTW where are all my PM's I'm out of town, the strange thing is I'm a couple of blocks from the Chargers stadium, kind of weird....:elefant: :elefant: :elefant:

dogfish
08-27-2008, 09:38 PM
go spit on it for us. . . . :D

pnbronco
08-27-2008, 09:54 PM

Don't think I havn't thought about it, same when I drive through Kansas right by their stadium. Not tonight, my even my spits happy...:D

Medford Bronco
08-28-2008, 01:30 AM
Great news for the Avs. Hopefully you can make a run this year :Beer:

Medford Bronco
08-28-2008, 01:31 AM

lol I know a few people that deserve that in the Boston area. :lol: