PDA

View Full Version : Paige: Elway back in Broncos' grace

Denver Native (Carol)
06-27-2010, 07:51 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_15386559

John Elway and Josh McDaniels loathe losing more than bare-knuckle champion Jim Corbett detested solar plexus punches and ancient Athenians hated solar eclipses.

Josh & John lost bad the other day.

As teammates for the first time, El and McD were beaten in a golf match at Cherry Hills Country Club by a pair of gadflies — Joe Ellis, Broncos chief operating officer, and Mark Thewes, the coach's assistant. "We lost by one," McDaniels said.

But the game was a win-win for the Broncos, McDaniels and Elway in a new partnership.

Ellis said Saturday: "I think the 4˝ hours John and Josh spent together was great for them and the franchise."

McDaniels said: "I've really enjoyed being around John. He means so much to the Broncos, Denver and the NFL. We've had fun, and I look forward to John having a relationship with the Broncos, Pat Bowlen and me well into the future."

Elway said: "I've gotten to know Josh, and I'd like to get to know him even better and assist him and the Broncos whatever way I can. Josh knows what he wants and how to get there."

Elway, who engineered more comebacks than any other quarterback in NFL history, wants one more comeback with the Broncos.

The Broncos want John to come back.

The Broncos and Elway have agreed that the Hall of Fame quarterback will be an asset with the team's business operations in "marketing initiatives," particularly in advance of the team's game in London, and will observe practices and consult with McDaniels on football matters.

This is a super development. It was too long coming. Lamentably, the Broncos and Elway have been estranged since he retired 11 years ago.

Elway will be a half-century old on Monday. He joined the Broncos more than a quarter-century ago. He was, and remains, the face of the franchise.

In our conversation about his 50th birthday, Elway was emphatic about "getting involved" with the Broncos again "and see where it goes from there."

Ellis said the Broncos and Elway have "low-keyed" his return, but Bowlen "is happy about John's interest. After all, John not only raised the Broncos to a championship level, but he was one of the few players responsible for raising the entire level of attention for the NFL.

"Of course, we want him involved with the Broncos. We want John coming to our headquarters, talking football and helping us in many different areas."

Echoing Elway's words, Ellis said: "We'll see where it leads."

McDaniels opens door

The Hall of Fame quarterback attended a recent minicamp workout (closed to the media, so it went unreported). McDaniels told me Saturday that Elway is "welcome any time to Dove Valley. I look forward to that as head coach. He is the greatest Bronco of all time and someone all our players should know and respect. We can benefit from John's knowledge, presence and experience."

John wasn't as welcomed before.

There was a breakdown between Elway and Mike Shana- han.

"Honestly, some things went on between Mike and me," said Elway, who wouldn't elaborate.

In 1984, Shanahan was brought in by Dan Reeves as a 32-year-old assistant (same age as McDaniels when he took the Broncos' head coaching job) to work specifically with Elway. The two became virtually inseparable, especially when Shanahan was elevated to offensive coordinator. Shanahan left in '87 to become head coach of the Raiders.

When Shanahan was fired abruptly in '89, Bowlen ordered Reeves to rehire him. But Reeves believed Shanahan and Elway secretly scripted plays behind his back. Shana- han was fired in 1991. In '95, he returned as head coach and reunited with Elway.

Elway said: "I told Mike I understood the relationship between head coach and player. My father (Jack) was a coach. I told him I wouldn't cross the line, but he made sure I didn't."

However, even after Shana- han and Elway won two Super Bowls (after losing three together) and John retired, the abyss widened, because Bowlen had shouted "this one's for John" after the first title, Shanahan didn't want Elway in an executive role, and if the coach won without Elway, that one would be for Shanahan.

So, John was persona non grata at Dove Valley until Mc- Daniels reached out to Elway.

"Don't need a job title"

At the end of Elway's career, Bowlen offered to sell him up to 20 percent of the ownership, and Elway eventually would become COO. Elway declined; he didn't want then to be a minority shareholder.

That proposed deal prompted former owner Edgar Kaiser, who had maneuvered the Elway acquisition, to file a lawsuit, claiming he had first right-of-refusal. Litigation dragged through federal and state courts for years before a final ruling in Bowlen's favor in 2007.

Elway would be willing if Bowlen made the offer again. They were owners (with Stan Kroenke) of the defunct Colorado Crush arena football team. "I did that because I wanted to be in football again," Elway said. "I got the experience on the ownership and personnel side, and I was ready for the NFL . . . Would I like to be part owner of the Broncos? Yes."

Bowlen repeatedly has said he will not sell the franchise.

With a new regime, Elway was enthused about ending the split.

"It's easier to be involved now. I don't need a job title. I don't want to call shots. It's not necessarily day-to-day, but if I can help Josh, Pat and Joe get this franchise back on track, that's important. It's just a matter of being the guy there who if you wanted a different point of view, I can give it."

Would he want to coach? "Oh, yeah. Being off to the side and working it that way . . . spending time with the quarterbacks and the offense."

Elway has been impressed with McDaniels. "He's considered too young at 34, and I was considered too old at 34. The players, I can tell you, don't give a rat's (behind) if he's 34 or 64. You want a man who can motivate, teach you, coach you to a championship. Josh can do that."

John also has linked up with Tim Tebow. "He texted me when he got to Denver. I watched him practice. I've talked to him. I like him a whole lot. People say he doesn't have the perfect release, but I didn't have a perfect release. You can fix that.

"When Tim came to my (birthday party), we had a long talk. What I told him is that in pro football, the window of accuracy is this small (he spreads his hands 18 inches), not this big (3 feet). Those complete passes in college are incompletions and interceptions in the NFL. You don't get better at accuracy in the weight room. You throw thousands of passes. He's got the natural talent and the smarts. But he's got to throw, throw, throw."

John threw for 56,439 yards (regular season and postseason) and set the record for quarterback victories.

Legendary No. 7 strives to come back to help the Broncos get back.

smith49
06-27-2010, 08:19 AM
well its about F'n time #7 got involved again. I for one would love to see him coachin' up our QB's.....but him just being involved is awsome.

Shazam!
06-27-2010, 12:52 PM
If it was Shanahan's selfishness that kept JE away from the Broncos, boo on him.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-27-2010, 12:55 PM
If it was Shanahan's selfishness that kept JE away from the Broncos, boo on him.

I agree - from article:

However, even after Shana- han and Elway won two Super Bowls (after losing three together) and John retired, the abyss widened, because Bowlen had shouted "this one's for John" after the first title, Shanahan didn't want Elway in an executive role, and if the coach won without Elway, that one would be for Shanahan.

So, John was persona non grata at Dove Valley until Mc- Daniels reached out to Elway.

gobroncsnv
06-27-2010, 01:57 PM
Well, if Elway likes Tebow as a QB, that means that Elway doesn't know squat about quarterbacking...

But meanwhile, back to the thread... there's just not a sliver of downside that I can see by having Elway back in the mix. There have obviously been many great players, but not one of them qualifies any better as the face of the franchise. The other thing is, I think it's been enough time gone by now that the "shadow of Elway" thing should be forced to fade. We can't continue to ignore what he can bring to the table, and I WANT to see a qb in there who can deal with that kind of pressure. Teams have had to go on without their Bradshaw, their Montana, etc, etc... Denver needs to get to a place that we can continue to win WHILE having John around to provide valuable influence to those who follow in his footsteps. Who doubts he was one of the best all time? That kind of experience and will to win need to be rubbed off on our current crop of players. Josh is pretty smart to recognize that and welcome him back to the fold.

broncobryce
06-27-2010, 03:00 PM
Elway doesn't know squat about QBing? I hope that's sarcasm I smell and not bullshit
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Softskull
06-27-2010, 03:24 PM
Elway doesn't know squat about QBing? I hope that's sarcasm I smell and not bullshit

Although I feel ya, there's a big difference between being a great QB and being a great QB coach. It seems that most great QBs never make that transition, not sure why. Usually it's the clip board holders that become QB and Head coaches. I'm not saying Elway couldn't positively add to the team, but he might be more helpful as a FO guy than a coach.

T.K.O.
06-27-2010, 03:30 PM
Although I feel ya, there's a big difference between being a great QB and being a great QB coach. It seems that most great QBs never make that transition, not sure why. Usually it's the clip board holders that become QB and Head coaches. I'm not saying Elway couldn't positively add to the team, but he might be more helpful as a FO guy than a coach.

that could be because clipboard holders dont retire multi millionairs with huge endorsement deals that typically last for years after they retire:confused:
i'm pretty sure elway would have as much to offer as a qb coach/consultant as ben mcD or bradlee van pelt

Softskull
06-27-2010, 03:38 PM
that could be because clipboard holders dont retire multi millionairs with huge endorsement deals that typically last for years after they retire:confused:
i'm pretty sure elway would have as much to offer as a qb coach/consultant as ben mcD or bradlee van pelt

Maybe, but most of the great ones haven't really retired. We see lots o' them as football analyst, announcers ect. (Young, Bradshaw, Marino, Tarkenton, even Montana) I think it's that the Kubiaks of the world dont get to play much, so their perspective of the QB/coaching role is different. They get to spend much more time standing next to HCs while the offense is on the field.

broncophan
06-27-2010, 03:56 PM
Didn't know Elway and Shanahan had any issues with each other.I would have thought Shanahan would have understood the "This ones for John" statement from Bowlen.......and any issues that created did not affect the team the following year as they won their second superbowl.

Makes me kind of curious what else happened............

TXBRONC
06-27-2010, 04:34 PM

Softskull is right being a great football player doesn't mean you would be a great coach. They are two different things.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-27-2010, 05:07 PM
John's father was a coach, I am sure John was very involved as a player, off the field, and he coached his son, who was a QB. I have no doubt that he could be an asset.

Northman
06-27-2010, 05:23 PM

I dont believe thats the case. When we won our first championship everybody on the earth knew who it was for even Shanahan. Although my memory is somewhat fuzzy i recall John wanted to pursue other endeavors after retiring and being a coach on any level wasnt in his immediate plans. Just because Shanahan didnt reach out or pursue John doesnt mean there was any bad feelings between them. I think that is a horrible reach on Paige's part without any direct quotes from either man. But, i guess he has to stir the pot somehow.

LordTrychon
06-27-2010, 05:37 PM
I seem to remember John being around a little... Not a lot... but I'm pretty sure Mike tried to get Cutler to hang out with him some, didn't he?

I'm not sure what issues were there... but I think they're being magnified by the article for no real reason.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-27-2010, 05:42 PM
I think that is a horrible reach on Paige's part without any direct quotes from either man. But, i guess he has to stir the pot somehow.

Yesterday in the Denver Post, it was stated that both of the Elway articles would be in today's paper. The following is noted in this article:

In our conversation about his 50th birthday, Elway was emphatic about "getting involved" with the Broncos again "and see where it goes from there."

Woody actually sat down with John, and I also posted the conversation on John's 50th birthday:

http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153144

From the above:

Reuniting with the Broncos.

Elway's association with the team he carried to five Super Bowls, winning two, has been strained the past several years. But he recently bonded with second-year coach Josh McDaniels and rookie quarterback Tim Tebow, and reconnected with owner Pat Bowlen. He has agreed to help the Broncos market this season's game in London and attend training- camp practices.

He hopes to become an untitled adviser to, and part-time coach for, the Broncos, offering "the experience and knowledge I have about football."

Eventually, Elway would like to own a piece of the franchise, which appeared a certainty when he retired after the 1998 season.

"That's always a possibility, but it really depends on what Pat's going to do. Would I like to be a part owner? Yes. I'd like for it to happen here. If not, and there is an opportunity somewhere else, I'd definitely look at that, too."

And from the article posted on this thread:

"Honestly, some things went on between Mike and me," said Elway, who wouldn't elaborate."

Woody had a conversation with John - it is just not Woody stirring the pot.

Northman
06-27-2010, 06:06 PM
"Honestly, some things went on between Mike and me," said Elway, who wouldn't elaborate."

Thats all he said? That can mean anything. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

BroncoWave
06-27-2010, 06:14 PM
Thats all he said? That can mean anything. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Have you ever heard someone use that phrase in that context and not mean it in a negative way though?

When you ask why he wasn't involved in the franchise and he says "some things went on between mike and me", that is pretty easy to decipher.

gobroncsnv
06-27-2010, 06:20 PM

Yeah, I don't always flag my sarcasm, hoping that it is overtly apparent.

Just that those who judge Tebow as a piece of crap of a draft choice, many of whom NEVER played the position, let alone at Elway's level... His pronouncement doesn't guarantee multiple pro-bowl seasons for Tebow, as nothing can... But I have to give to the man for knowing what to look for, and being willing to put his money where his mouth is. If 7 wants to jump back in the game, I'm sure not gonna be the one saying he doesn't know what he's talking about, or the one saying he can't come back.

Northman
06-27-2010, 06:21 PM
Have you ever heard someone use that phrase in that context and not mean it in a negative way though?

When you ask why he wasn't involved in the franchise and he says "some things went on between mike and me", that is pretty easy to decipher.

Somebody would of picked up on a bitter rivalry a long time ago if that was the case. Chances are it was a simple case of Shanahan running the team the way he wanted which didnt include John. Sounds like if there's a problem its on John's end. Love or hate Shanahan he was the HC/GM and he ran the team he felt he needed too. Both he and John worked together to get 2 rings and have been friends for years but Shanahan wasnt obligated to make room for John on the coaching staff or anywhere else.

BroncoWave
06-27-2010, 06:27 PM
Somebody would of picked up on a bitter rivalry a long time ago if that was the case. Chances are it was a simple case of Shanahan running the team the way he wanted which didnt include John. Sounds like if there's a problem its on John's end. Love or hate Shanahan he was the HC/GM and he ran the team he felt he needed too. Both he and John worked together to get 2 rings and have been friends for years but Shanahan wasnt obligated to make room for John on the coaching staff or anywhere else.

If Shanahan didn't want John involved with the franchise in any way at all, he's the one with a problem, not John. And John has never showed any interest in coaching so I really doubt he wanted on Shanny's staff.

Tempus Fugit
06-27-2010, 06:30 PM

I think ill stick with the player's answers since its actually coming from the horses mouth.

http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1000366&postcount=24

"Honestly, some things went on between Mike and me," said Elway,

:coffee:

Northman
06-27-2010, 06:30 PM
If Shanahan didn't want John involved with the franchise in any way at all, he's the one with a problem, not John.

How so? If Shanahan was the decision maker on those issues he could hire anybody he wanted and if John didnt fit the mold that he wanted he wasnt obligated to hire John just because of who he was. And again, this is all speculation on our parts. And if it was that important than why didnt Bowlen speak up on his behalf? Just too many questions to automatically assume this kind of stuff based off a quote that could mean virtually anything.

Northman
06-27-2010, 06:31 PM
http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1000366&postcount=24

:coffee:

And? I also said the quote can mean anything? Are you trolling again or do you have something more useful to add to the discussion?

Tempus Fugit
06-27-2010, 06:33 PM
And? I also said the quote can mean anything? Are you trolling again or do you have something more useful to add to the discussion?

I was pointing out an inconsistency in your positions. Also, disagreeing with you ≠ trolling.

Northman
06-27-2010, 06:36 PM
I was pointing out a pretty clear inconsistency in your positions. Also, disagreeing with you ≠ trolling.

Um no. One guy was very clear about his position and the other guy was very vague in his comment. Nothing inconsistent there so your fishing. How bout trying to concentrate on the discussion at hand. If you have something that can prove more than what was actually said im all ears. If not, **** already.

broncophan
06-27-2010, 06:43 PM
The fact Elway said "some things went on between Mike and me".......and didn't elaborate........says something.......or why would he have said that??......If in fact it is true.....and I would think (even) Woody would not have printed it if it wasn't said.

NightTrainLayne
06-27-2010, 06:46 PM
Elway's comment, which is a direct quote, makes it plainly obvious that there was some negative things between Shanny and Elway.

Who started it, or what the issues are, we have no idea, but it's obvious that there are some negative vibes between the two, at least from Elway's perspective.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-27-2010, 06:46 PM

"It's easier to be involved now. I don't need a job title. I don't want to call shots. It's not necessarily day-to-day, but if I can help Josh, Pat and Joe get this franchise back on track, that's important. It's just a matter of being the guy there who if you wanted a different point of view, I can give it."

Would he want to coach? "Oh, yeah. Being off to the side and working it that way . . . spending time with the quarterbacks and the offense."

BroncoWave
06-27-2010, 07:03 PM
How so? If Shanahan was the decision maker on those issues he could hire anybody he wanted and if John didnt fit the mold that he wanted he wasnt obligated to hire John just because of who he was. And again, this is all speculation on our parts. And if it was that important than why didnt Bowlen speak up on his behalf? Just too many questions to automatically assume this kind of stuff based off a quote that could mean virtually anything.

Because you'd have to be an idiot not to see that having Elway involved in the organization is a good thing, even if it's some small marketing role or just as a mentor to young players.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-27-2010, 07:09 PM
http://www.milehighreport.com/2010/6/27/1539915/reaching-out

Great article on MHR as to how someone on there feels about Paige's article on John, Coach McD, etc.

arapaho2
06-27-2010, 09:50 PM

I think its a good thing if elway gets involved with the offense

Lonestar
06-27-2010, 10:44 PM
McDaniels opens door

The Hall of Fame quarterback attended a recent minicamp workout (closed to the media, so it went unreported). McDaniels told me Saturday that Elway is "welcome any time to Dove Valley. I look forward to that as head coach. He is the greatest Bronco of all time and someone all our players should know and respect. We can benefit from John's knowledge, presence and experience."

John wasn't as welcomed before.

There was a breakdown between Elway and Mike Shanahan.

"Honestly, some things went on between Mike and me," said Elway, who wouldn't elaborate.

However, even after Shanahan and Elway won two Super Bowls (after losing three together) and John retired, the abyss widened, because Bowlen had shouted "this one's for John" after the first title, Shanahan didn't want Elway in an executive role, and if the coach won without Elway, that one would be for Shanahan.

What a petty person if that was the real reason that John did not feel welcome in Dove Valley. Frankly there is very little doubt in my mind that this is not spot on.

Didn't know Elway and Shanahan had any issues with each other.I would have thought Shanahan would have understood the "This ones for John" statement from Bowlen.......and any issues that created did not affect the team the following year as they won their second superbowl.

Makes me kind of curious what else happened............

I suspect that mikeys ego got bruised when Pat told the WORLD this ones for John.

we all know that there was only room in DEN for one EGO.

What a petty little man, when gardner said it way back I took umbrage to it, now it sounds more and more true little mans syndrome.

Lonestar
06-27-2010, 10:49 PM

Hmmmmmmmm wonder what he meant about this one.

I also suspect that when he was offered a piece of the action that did not help his relationship with mikey, all of a sudden a chance to have to answer to a former player.

Lonestar
06-27-2010, 10:56 PM
the mere mention of John as a future COO had to have pissed off mickey.

Northman
06-27-2010, 10:57 PM
E

Who started it, or what the issues are, we have no idea,

Exactly.

WARHORSE
06-28-2010, 12:27 AM
I dont care about what went on before or about figuring out who said what to whom, or who deciphered what was said on this day or that.

All I know is, Im glad Elway is once again getting involved with the Broncos on a higher level.

I want to see where it goes, and him being involved in the PR is only good for Denver.

broncofaninfla
06-28-2010, 08:25 AM
Elway serving at ANY capacity for the Broncos will benifit the Broncos. I'd love to see him invloved with the QB's and at a Offensive Quality Control type role for the offense.

LordTrychon
06-28-2010, 09:19 AM
I know that the only people safe from scorn on internet football forums are those who are currently with the team and not in a contract year (get ready to take some heat, Champ)...

But maybe it was John who had issues, and not Mike?

I know Head Coaches are known for egos, and HOF caliber players are known for their extreme humility... but maybe just this once, it wasn't all on the HC?

Don't get me wrong... it could be... but there's just no PROOF of what the issue may be. It could be any number of things, and we just don't know.

Am I the only one who remembers Mike arranging for dinner with Cutler and Elway? I could have sworn Mike tried to get him to be more involved.

I have a hard time believing the utter SPECULATION that Mike had a problem with Bowlen saying 'This one's for John'. Elway wouldn't talk to Woody about it... but he managed to gleam the answer from his eyes, apparently.

Again... I'm NOT saying that Mike's ego couldn't have been the problem. I'm saying that we don't know.

The answer's usually in the middle somewhere. It probably has to do with both of them.

tomjonesrocks
06-28-2010, 09:50 AM
Wow...had not heard previously there was any kind of rift between Shanahan and Elway. Have always been a BIG Shanahan proponent--but this really sounds incredibly petty of him. Jealous of "This One's for John"?

I've always dismissed the widely agreed-upon conclusion that Shanahan had a overblown ego--assuming ALL head coaches pretty much must have a giant ego to do this job--but this sounds REALLY stupid on his part.

T.K.O.
06-28-2010, 10:06 AM
i have always thought it was odd that elway was'nt more involved with the team.
i mean why the hell would he invest so much time and money in the "colorado crush"?
when he is a landmark in denver?
i always thought he just wanted to gat away from the spotlight,maybe even for the good of the team,letting whoever was the new qb have some breathing room etc...
but this definately paints a different picture of the situation .regardless of who's ego may have been the stumbling block.
i am glad to hear that elway now seems more comfortable and see's a future helping the organazation in some capacity !:salute:

Ravage!!!
06-28-2010, 10:54 AM
The Broncos and Elway have agreed that the Hall of Fame quarterback will be an asset with the team's business operations in "marketing initiatives,"

This is from the article. This very clearly states that John won't be involved in coaching, helping, or anything else other than marketing. Basically its saying, we are going to use John's face to promote the Broncos.

So I think we'll see more John Elway commercials than we will see John coaching anyone.

TXBRONC
06-28-2010, 11:27 AM
This is from the article. This very clearly states that John won't be involved in coaching, helping, or anything else other than marketing. Basically its saying, we are going to use John's face to promote the Broncos.

So I think we'll see more John Elway commercials than we will see John coaching anyone.

I remember back in either '97 or '98 Elway was asked if he would like to get into coaching after he retired, and said unequivocally that he didn't want to put in that kind of time. Besides that being a great player doesn't necessarily mean you'll be a great coach.

Ravage!!!
06-28-2010, 11:43 AM
I remember back in either '97 or '98 Elway was asked if he would like to get into coaching after he retired, and said unequivocally that he didn't want to put in that kind of time. Besides that being a great player doesn't necessarily mean you'll be a great coach.

exactly. He has been playing sports almost his entire life before retiring. He can go into business ventures that eh enjoys, travel when he wants, and what not. Coaching takes a lot of time.

There is a reason that you don't see ANY HoF QBs coaching. Why is that? I'm sure there are many that could very well coach... but none do. What do they have to gain by coaching QBs? Do they want to move up and become an OC??? Hell no.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-28-2010, 11:55 AM
From article:

TXBRONC
06-28-2010, 12:01 PM
From article:

Now tell me how that means he wants to coach full time?

Also being a great player doesn't mean you'll be great coach.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-28-2010, 12:07 PM

Now tell me - where did I post anything about him wanting to be a full time coach, or that I feel he will be a great coach??????????? :confused:

I merely copied what John stated in his conversation with Paige.

Lonestar
06-28-2010, 12:12 PM
From article:

Regardless of what he may have said after retiring, his co-owning a Football franchise tells me that he wanted to be involved in Football in Colorado.

He was often mentioned in an ownership role concerning the next LA team.

I'd rather him be in DEN working with the QB's from time to time, I suspect his other interests will keep him otherwise occupied.

As for mikeys ego few ex players with egos have raved about him, I'm sure that poortis and him are BFF's, this will be interesting to see this relationship bloom again. Or maybe I should say BOOM again.

I know that my un-love for mikey is well known, but now that some light has been shed on this subject perhaps a few more folks that thought the guy walked on water will indeed see the light.

For those that flatly stated he would be hired within 15 minutes of getting a GM placed over/next to him in those debates, well I guess that did not happen either. You will never "GET IT" that mikey while being a very talented OC stunk it up as the GM part of his job.

I always wondered how good this team could have been if we would have had a John Mackey, Bill Polian, or even the guy in SAN been in charge of player aquision and hiring DC and their minions.

Anyway glad to see that John will be mentoring the Tebow and other Qb's , really glad that Rod will be more active with the kiddies we now have. (that does not mean IMMATURE) but really young guys.

LRtagger
06-28-2010, 12:24 PM
He doesn't have to be hired onto the staff as a full-time coach. He could play a very similar role to What Rod has done for the past several years.

Attend practice from time to time. Be available to players. Provide insight. Mentor young guys. Be a part of the franchise in any capacity.

I could care less what happened between him and Shanny, but it's a shame John has not been more involved over the past decade. Props to Josh for reaching out to him. I don't see how anything negative could come from it.

claymore
06-28-2010, 12:32 PM
This is great news.

TXBRONC
06-28-2010, 12:47 PM
Now tell me - where did I post anything about him wanting to be a full time coach, or that I feel he will be a great coach??????????? :confused:

I merely copied what John stated in his conversation with Paige.

I asked my question first? :D

Where did I say that you felt he would be a great coach? :confused: I was just stating being a great football player doesn't mean he would be great coach.

BroncoJoe
06-28-2010, 01:01 PM

Doesn't hurt...

TXBRONC
06-28-2010, 01:05 PM
Doesn't hurt...

I not saying it hurts to have John around not at all.

BroncoJoe
06-28-2010, 01:09 PM
I not saying it hurts to have John around not at all.

Then what were you saying?

TXBRONC
06-28-2010, 01:18 PM
Then what were you saying?

I've already explained it Joe.

BroncoJoe
06-28-2010, 01:31 PM
You said it doesn't hurt to have John around, and also that being a good player doesn't equate to being a good coach.

Sounds like a contradiction to me.

claymore
06-28-2010, 01:35 PM
I want Elway in an ass kicking role/owner role, not a coaching role. Great players seldomly have patience to coach mediocraty. IMO.

slim
06-28-2010, 01:47 PM
I want Elway in an ass kicking role/owner role, not a coaching role. Great players seldomly have patience to coach mediocraty. IMO.

This is why c-rex left, I think.

He didn't have the patience to deal with us :sad:

Northman
06-28-2010, 01:49 PM
You said it doesn't hurt to have John around, and also that being a good player doesn't equate to being a good coach.

Sounds like a contradiction to me.

His point was that although it will be nice to have John around it wont automatically mean that he will succeed at a coach level. And that can go for any player who has had a stellar career. TX didnt say it was a bad thing, only that it doesnt guarantee any positive results.

claymore
06-28-2010, 01:57 PM
This is why c-rex left, I think.

He didn't have the patience to deal with us :sad:

C-Rex is like Chuck Norris but with massaging skillz instead.

slim
06-28-2010, 02:09 PM
C-Rex is like Chuck Norris but with massaging skillz instead.

He makes man-on-man back rubs seem manly and natural.

claymore
06-28-2010, 02:13 PM
He makes man-on-man back rubs seem manly and natural.

If he screws you in the butt, you automatically get your first period one month later.

dogfish
06-28-2010, 02:14 PM
WTF is a c-rex?

claymore
06-28-2010, 02:18 PM
WTF is a c-rex?

Cswil. He changed his name to Rex. :(

dogfish
06-28-2010, 02:45 PM
Cswil. He changed his name to Rex. :(

what a homo!

claymore
06-28-2010, 02:46 PM
what a homo!

Cant argue that. /thread

Denver Native (Carol)
06-28-2010, 03:12 PM
I asked my question first? :D

Where did I say that you felt he would be a great coach? :confused: I was just stating being a great football player doesn't mean he would be great coach.

Come on TX - you are playing games :tsk:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver Native (Carol) View Post
From article:

Your reply to my above post:

TXBRONC
06-28-2010, 03:49 PM
Come on TX - you are playing games :tsk:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver Native (Carol) View Post
From article:

Your reply to my above post:

I'm not playing games just answer the question. :rolleyes:

Denver Native (Carol)
06-28-2010, 04:13 PM
I not playing games just answer the question. :rolleyes:

http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1002013&postcount=46

T.K.O.
06-28-2010, 04:35 PM
http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/0903/derailed-train-derailed-thread-demotivational-poster-1237346157.jpg

TXBRONC
06-28-2010, 05:18 PM
http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1002013&postcount=46

That's not an answer.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-28-2010, 05:55 PM
That's not an answer.

Repeat your question

T.K.O.
06-28-2010, 06:05 PM
:laugh:
Repeat your question

his question was actually a twisted version of what was said previously....
it was "Now tell me how that means he wants to coach full time?"
which was never stated in the OP or in any subsequent posts.
so .......its a no win situation.especially for the readers of the thread

BroncoJoe
06-28-2010, 06:10 PM
His point was that although it will be nice to have John around it wont automatically mean that he will succeed at a coach level. And that can go for any player who has had a stellar career. TX didnt say it was a bad thing, only that it doesnt guarantee any positive results.

And I said it can't hurt.

Some people can find fault in anything positive.

TXBRONC
06-28-2010, 06:19 PM

Some people can be thin skinned about every little thing.

BroncoJoe
06-28-2010, 06:19 PM
Some people can be thin skinned about every little thing.

Can I refer you to a good doctor?

TXBRONC
06-28-2010, 06:23 PM
Can I refer you to a good doctor?

Nah I have very doctor. Would you like his phone number?

Northman
06-28-2010, 06:23 PM

I dont think that is what he was implying only that it was a possibility. I think we can all agree that it would be more beneficial to Denver than not.

TXBRONC
06-28-2010, 06:24 PM
I dont think that is what he was implying only that it was a possibility. I think we can all agree that it would be more beneficial to Denver than not.

Exactly.

BroncoJoe
06-28-2010, 06:26 PM
Nah I have very doctor. Would you like his phone number?

Don't need one, but thanks.

My point is that people will find fault, or something to complain about even when the circumstance is 100% positive.

No one said he's going to coach. No one said his role is anything other than supportive, yet people like TXBRONC will find something negative to say.

Personally, I just don't get it.

Northman
06-28-2010, 06:29 PM
My point is that people will find fault, or something to complain about even when the circumstance is 100% positive.

No one said he's going to coach. No one said his role is anything other than supportive, yet people like TXBRONC will find something negative to say.

Well, not to nitpick but to complain about someone else complaining doesnt make a lot of sense either if you think about it.

BroncoJoe
06-28-2010, 06:31 PM
Well, not to nitpick but to complain about someone else complaining doesnt make a lot of sense either if you think about it.

Just tired of the negativity, dude.

Just tired.

BroncoWave
06-28-2010, 06:32 PM
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z233/relentless_jett/I_like_where_this_thread_is_going.jpg

Lonestar
06-28-2010, 06:35 PM
Don't need one, but thanks.

YOu are spot on so many positives about this new regime and so many can't see it.

Want to drag it down for lots of reasons he came from NE therefore he is a baby billy, replaced an Icon that many still feel got a raw deal, he got rid of jay, marshall, tony, hillis and OMG leach.

add nolan to the lsit

Now there is a thought of bringing the GOAT back into the fold and people whine about him not being a great coach. How can he possibly hurt the team?

How could he ruin one of these young pups we have as a QB?

He has experience that NO ONE on the team or coaching staff has to impart. just how can that be bad.

BroncoJoe
06-28-2010, 06:58 PM

P.S. I'll put my money on John 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

Northman
06-28-2010, 06:59 PM
P.S. I'll put my money on John 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

Um ok.

BroncoJoe
06-28-2010, 07:00 PM
Um ok.

Replys like this are all I need to know about you.

Northman
06-28-2010, 07:01 PM
Replys like this are all I need to know about you.

Why? I said ok to your statement. What did you want me to say? :lol:

BroncoJoe
06-28-2010, 07:04 PM
Um ok.

Why? I said ok to your statement. What did you want me to say? :lol:

If I took the first quote out of context, I apologize.

Strangely enough, I doubt I did.

Northman
06-28-2010, 07:11 PM
If I took the first quote out of context, I apologize.

Strangely enough, I doubt I did.

You did take it out of context but you know whatever man. My fandom isnt justified by anyone but me. :salute:

BroncoJoe
06-28-2010, 07:13 PM
You did take it out of context but you know whatever man. My fandom isnt justified by anyone but me. :salute:

Then, I apologize. Not testing your fandom, just thought it was a curious response.

broncophan
06-28-2010, 07:18 PM
.......when does the season start again??

T.K.O.
06-28-2010, 07:32 PM
.......when does the season start again??

what is.....not soon enough,alex ?:beer:

dogfish
06-28-2010, 09:27 PM

that's what clay said, too. . .

don't believe everything you hear. . . . :fear:

jhildebrand
06-28-2010, 10:23 PM
...he is a baby billy, replaced an Icon that many still feel got a raw deal, he got rid of jay, marshall, tony, hillis and OMG leach.

add nolan to the lsit

Now there is a thought of bringing the GOAT back into the fold and people whine about him not being a great coach. How can he possibly hurt the team?

How could he ruin one of these young pups we have as a QB?

He has experience that NO ONE on the team or coaching staff has to impart. just how can that be bad.

Just to answer your question, Jrwiz I am going to answer your post. Understand that while I don't believe everything I am about to write, it all has a plausible chance of being reality.

As far as " He has experience that NO ONE on the team or coaching staff has to impart. just how can that be bad?"

Elway has been available since the day McDaniels took over. If McDaniels wanted him here he could have had him here on some level.

The fact is he hired his brother to be QB's coach. Now you bring Elway in as???? :confused:

Someone's feelings are getting hurt. Which answers the "just how can that be bad?" Someone's feelings could easily be hurt. Not to mention, Elway back in the fold may remind Bowlen just how much he actually likes Johnny boy. Not to mention the fact that Bowlen and Elway have a much longer and richer past than Bowlen and McDaniels. What happens if McDaniels (Ben or Josh) disagree on anything with Elway? It would be much harder to run an Elway out of town than Nolan. How would Bowlen view any potential conflict? I dont think it is too far fetched to think "muscle memory" would kick in a lot of ways with Bowlen in that type of situation. Elway is simply too large a presence.

While I love the idea of having Elway around, I am not sure he could co exist with everything McDaniels simply because everything about McD is so different than anything Elway has ever known.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-28-2010, 10:35 PM
Maybe the following started the ball rolling: John and Coach McD have a great relationship.

http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denverbroncos/elway-hoping-to-get-more-connected/

John Elway has no immediate plans to get into coaching.

In fact, after competing in the Colorado Golf Association 4-Ball tournament in Westminster on Tuesday, he called it something he can “always fall back on.”

In the meantime, the Hall-of-Fame quarterback is hoping to be seen a little more often around Dove Valley, helping out the Broncos any way he can while “on the outside looking in.”

“I’m hoping to get to know Tim (Tebow), and if he’s got questions I’d love to be able to help him out, as well as Kyle (Orton) and Brady (Quinn),” Elway told a group of reporters in a sit-down interview. “That’s kind of what I’ve missed is that connection, so I’m hoping to get more connected.”

After speaking to parents and students in the “Teaming up to Take Charge of Asthma” event at Montbello High School on Wednesday, Head Coach Josh McDaniels couldn’t help but smile when he heard Elway’s plans to get more involved.

“John Elway is going to be a part of this organization forever,” McDaniels said. “Anytime he wants to come around, he knows that he can. I have a relationship with John and I will continue to have a relationship with John. Any resource like that, you have to try to reach out and use it if you can.”

“What he’s been able to accomplish in his career I think is a great influence for some of our younger players and even our veteran players that have been in the league for a long time,” he continued. “Any guidance that he can give any of us or any of our players is well-received.”

Elway said he has had a chance to grab lunch with the Broncos head coach several times and after getting to know him, he has concluded that the two have plenty in common.

Both have fathers who were coaches and both have been to the top of the NFL — McDaniels has three Super Bowl trophies as an assistant coach, and Elway, as every Broncos fan remembers, won back-to-back Super Bowls as a quarterback before retiring at the conclusion of the 1998 season.

“I think he’s a fantastic young coach with that energy, and he knows the game,” Elway said. “He’s learned in the right situation being in New England — he knows how to do it.

“I’m excited for the Broncos and think that they have a lot of good things ahead of them.”

AND from the article posted in this thread:

John Elway and Josh McDaniels loathe losing more than bare-knuckle champion Jim Corbett detested solar plexus punches and ancient Athenians hated solar eclipses.

Josh & John lost bad the other day.

As teammates for the first time, El and McD were beaten in a golf match at Cherry Hills Country Club by a pair of gadflies — Joe Ellis, Broncos chief operating officer, and Mark Thewes, the coach's assistant. "We lost by one," McDaniels said.

But the game was a win-win for the Broncos, McDaniels and Elway in a new partnership.

Ellis said Saturday: "I think the 4˝ hours John and Josh spent together was great for them and the franchise."

McDaniels said: "I've really enjoyed being around John. He means so much to the Broncos, Denver and the NFL. We've had fun, and I look forward to John having a relationship with the Broncos, Pat Bowlen and me well into the future."

Elway said: "I've gotten to know Josh, and I'd like to get to know him even better and assist him and the Broncos whatever way I can. Josh knows what he wants and how to get there."

Lonestar
06-29-2010, 12:11 AM
Just to answer your question, Jrwiz I am going to answer your post. Understand that while I don't believe everything I am about to write, it all has a plausible chance of being reality.

As far as " He has experience that NO ONE on the team or coaching staff has to impart. just how can that be bad?"

Elway has been available since the day McDaniels took over. If McDaniels wanted him here he could have had him here on some level.

The fact is he hired his brother to be QB's coach. Now you bring Elway in as???? :confused:

Someone's feelings are getting hurt. Which answers the "just how can that be bad?" Someone's feelings could easily be hurt. Not to mention, Elway back in the fold may remind Bowlen just how much he actually likes Johnny boy. Not to mention the fact that Bowlen and Elway have a much longer and richer past than Bowlen and McDaniels. What happens if McDaniels (Ben or Josh) disagree on anything with Elway? It would be much harder to run an Elway out of town than Nolan. How would Bowlen view any potential conflict? I dont think it is too far fetched to think "muscle memory" would kick in a lot of ways with Bowlen in that type of situation. Elway is simply too large a presence.

While I love the idea of having Elway around, I am not sure he could co exist with everything McDaniels simply because everything about McD is so different than anything Elway has ever known.

It is true perhaps he could have asked him to be a part of the Organization. Perhaps he did and was rebuffed by John or someone inside Dove Valley.

We flat do not know why, if anything happened.

He might have asked Joe or Pat about it and was told that John wanted distance or still held a grudge or Vice versa.

Maybe som day we will here the truth and nothing but the turth.

Maybe Josh was afraid to ask him in maybe he saw that while his brother is good he is not at the level our kids need.

Frankly I do not know and do not care. John will get some time with the QB and probably with Tebow in particular.

As far as my comment about fans how could anyone whine about something like this happening. I stand by it I see of no reason to bad mouth John for his prowness or lack there of in the coaching area. It is not like we are going to ask him to step in as HC with NO coaching exprience.

Having John around the QB's can be NOTHING except positive. They will have a chance to pick his brain. And that would be worth his weight in Gold IMO.

jhildebrand
06-29-2010, 09:36 AM
It is true perhaps he could have asked him to be a part of the Organization. Perhaps he did and was rebuffed by John or someone inside Dove Valley.

We flat do not know why, if anything happened.

He might have asked Joe or Pat about it and was told that John wanted distance or still held a grudge or Vice versa.

Maybe som day we will here the truth and nothing but the turth.

Maybe Josh was afraid to ask him in maybe he saw that while his brother is good he is not at the level our kids need.

Frankly I do not know and do not care. John will get some time with the QB and probably with Tebow in particular.

As far as my comment about fans how could anyone whine about something like this happening. I stand by it I see of no reason to bad mouth John for his prowness or lack there of in the coaching area. It is not like we are going to ask him to step in as HC with NO coaching exprience.

Having John around the QB's can be NOTHING except positive. They will have a chance to pick his brain. And that would be worth his weight in Gold IMO.

I don't disagree with anything stated above.

I hope he does help out. I want to see Elway be able to buy part of the team as he should have been able to do a couple of years ago. In fact, I hope he gets a shot at majority ownership.

In the meantime, I would be perfectly happy if he were just around the team more or given an official position like "offensive assistant."

Lonestar
06-29-2010, 11:09 AM
I don't disagree with anything stated above.

I hope he does help out. I want to see Elway be able to buy part of the team as he should have been able to do a couple of years ago. In fact, I hope he gets a shot at majority ownership.

In the meantime, I would be perfectly happy if he were just around the team more or given an official position like "offensive assistant."

Since Pat seems to be the only one in his family that is interested in the team and is getting older, I'm hoping that John has that chance to buy in and eventualy buy OUT the family.

As for his role with the tam now what ever is workable with Pat, Josh and John is OK by me. From what I have read John is pretty happy just to be invovled.

dogfish
06-29-2010, 12:24 PM
ya know, there's a pretty big factor here that we haven't really considered at all. . .

if elway's awesomeness and tebow's awesomeness are on the field together, will the earth explode?

T.K.O.
06-29-2010, 12:26 PM
ya know, there's a pretty big factor here that we haven't really considered at all. . .

if elway's awesomeness and tebow's awesomeness are on the field together, will the earth explode?

no.....but the other 31 teams might just give up !:salute:

Northman
06-29-2010, 01:02 PM
no.....but the other 31 teams might just give up !:salute:

No, just France.

dogfish
06-29-2010, 02:17 PM
No, just France.

oh. . .

well, carry on!

jhildebrand
06-29-2010, 03:02 PM
Since Pat seems to be the only one in his family that is interested in the team and is getting older, I'm hoping that John has that chance to buy in and eventualy buy OUT the family

I think that statement is a bit disingenuous.

Pat tried selling, a 10% share I believe, to John. That is what landed Pat in court with former owner Edgar Kaiser. The case was recently ruled on. The courts found in favor of Bowlen. However, the issue may keep Pat from trying to sell any of the team in the immediate future-barring a complete sale.

TXBRONC
06-29-2010, 04:28 PM

Pat tried selling, a 10% share I believe, to John. That is what landed Pat in court with former owner Edgar Kaiser. The case was recently ruled on. The courts found in favor of Bowlen. However, the issue may keep Pat from trying to sell any of the team in the immediate future-barring a complete sale.

Correct. Bowlen tried to sell 10% of the franchise to John and then ended up in court with Kaiser filing a law suit.

Lonestar
06-29-2010, 05:34 PM

As I understood it the Bowlen family has little interest in the team. His sons are not involved in it at all.

As for the other portion while I'm not privy to the details Pat was going to sell him IIRC 20% but it may have been less.

Kaiser thought his orginal agreemnent gave him right of first refusal should it come on the market again.

But from what I have heard the courts said NOPE.

If that is the case then John would have the ability to buy a portion or the whole thing.

Not sure how or where he could come up with a Billion as that is about worth.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-22-2010, 06:36 PM
http://www.fox11online.com/dpps/sports/packers_and_nfl/other_nfl/john-elway-ready-to-step-back-into-nfl_3503415

DENVER (AP) - Hall of Fame quarterback John Elway is ready to get back into the NFL more than 11 years after retiring.

Elway, who retired in 1999 after winning his second straight Super Bowl for the Denver Broncos, is planning to attend some of their training camp practices this summer and has agreed to help market the team's game in London in September.

Elway told the Denver Post recently that he'd also eventually like to own a piece of the Broncos.

After finishing his round at the Colorado Open golf tournament on Thursday, Elway said he had no news to report from owner Pat Bowlen regarding his desire to be a co-owner but was eager to help his old team in many ways.

Elway, who carries a handicap of zero and fired an 11-over-par 83 at the Green Valley Ranch Golf Club on Thursday, reconnected with the Broncos on the golf course this summer.

He teed off last month with Broncos second-year coach Josh McDaniels and the two discussed ways he could be involved with the franchise again after having very little contact with the team during the latter part of Mike Shanahan's tenure.

He isn't doing his famous helicopter dive back into football, just getting his feet wet again.

"I think it's going to be just a step-by-step type thing as needed," Elway said. "Kind of be around them a little bit more. Do some stuff on the business side for them with sponsors and stuff, to get a little bit closer to them and slowly work into it and see what they need. If they need advice, then I'm there to give it to them — if they want my advice."

The Broncos are eager for Elway, who turned 50 in June, to be a part of their future and not just their past. Whether that means Bowlen offers him a piece of the team is uncertain.

Elway said he wanted a clean break from American football when he retired. He learned the business side of the sport as one of the owners of Denver's Arena League team before that league folded.

"When I first retired I wanted to get away. I had been in football my whole life. My dad was a coach so I wanted to get away from football," Elway said. "And then when I wanted to get back in, that's why I did the Arena League, to learn the business side of it, be on that side and get some experience."

Elway said he's eager to step back into pro football, especially now that McDaniels is entering his second season in Denver.

"I think that now is the time. Last year I think would have been tough with the transition to what they were going through and so maybe now is the time to start," Elway said. "Timing may be a lot better now in their minds than it was a while back."

And it certainly is in Elway's mind.

"I'm finally at the point of my life to where I guess I'm starting to just enjoy life a little bit instead of charging ahead. Everything I've ever done, I've always charged and now I'm in a pretty good spot," Elway said. "I'm back in the car business. I've got three dealerships in California and they're doing fine now. I'm taking the foot off the pedal a little bit and kind of smelling the roses a little bit."

Elway said he hasn't been around the Broncos enough but said eight to 10 wins would be a successful season for the team that beefed up its defensive front but also lost Pro Bowl wideout Brandon Marshall.