PDA

View Full Version : Get to Know: Jabar Gaffney

Denver Native (Carol)
06-25-2010, 12:44 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=10208

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Jabar Gaffney isn't satisfied with the 2009 season. But on a personal level, it was one of the receiver's best.

The ninth-year veteran played in all 16 games for the seventh time in his career, caught at least one pass in 14 contests and ended up with a career-high 732 receiving yards, coming just one catch shy of his single-season personal best.

Head Coach Josh McDaniels stopped short of calling Gaffney the team's No. 1 receiver entering 2010 -- "I hope that we have a lot of guys that end up being our No. 1 receiver at different times during the year," he said -- but after leading the league in receptions and receiving yards in the final two weeks of the 2009 season, Gaffney is ready to step into a leadership role in the receiving corps.

The receiver sat down with us for a Q&A session as the team breaks for about a month before the first practice of training camp commences on August 1.

How would you describe your 2009 season?
"A disappointment in that we didn't finish it. We started off strong, but we tailed off at the end in the last part of the season and didn't make the playoffs."

You had a career-high 732 receiving yards last season -- why was your eighth season one of your best?
"I just was fortunate to fall into a situation where I can catch some passes and I was able to do some things. That's just what it's all about, making plays when the ball comes your way."

The way the 2009 season ended for you personally, does that give you confidence you can be the leader of the receiving corps in 2010?
"Definitely. It just shows that much more confidence from the coaches and with my teammates. I always felt confident in myself that I can go out there and get the job done. Now I've been given the chance and hopefully I'll just make more plays as more balls come my way."

You led the NFL in receptions (21) and receiving yards (282) during the final two weeks of the year. Is that something you expect to do on a week-to-week basis?
"Yeah. I always go out there and just look to make plays. No matter how many balls come my way, just try to catch them and do the best with the situations."

What are your impressions of the group of receivers on the roster?
"We've got a lot of depth and a lot of guys that can do a lot of different things. We're close. Everybody's pulling for one another, so we're coming together to go out there and do it as a unit."

How does practicing against a secondary with guys like Champ Bailey and Brian Dawkins help the receivers?
"That helps out a lot. That secondary is pretty talented. Going against them we get a lot of good competition, and that can only help us when we get to the season."

What have you seen from Perrish Cox through OTAs?
"He's coming along. He's looking good. He's got to continue to work and develop, but he can only help the secondary."

You've worked with Kyle Orton for a full year now. Could you tell a difference in OTAs?
"Definitely. He's coming along a lot. He's feeling a lot more comfortable in the offense and he's taking the offense up more and getting guys into their places. Just being a leader. Just being the leader of that offense that we knew he could be. It's helping a lot."

Are you excited for what that could mean when the season rolls around?
"Oh yeah. Definitely. He takes control and when everybody else does their job, we can do some pretty good things."

What are the differences catching from three different quarterbacks? Is it all about timing?
"The timing and the ball, pretty much. Other than that they get the same plays, but they deliver it different."

What have you seen from all three quarterbacks so far?
"All three of them bring a little bit different qualities, and they have a lot of the same qualities. Obviously with (Tim) Tebow, he's a guy that can throw the ball and if the play breaks down he can run the ball. Kyle, he has this offense pretty much down, in and out, and knows everything. Then Brady (Quinn), he's a little bit of a mixture of both. That's a lot of good competition. Those guys will push each other back there and make each other better."

Is it nic eto have another fellow Florida alum, Tim Tebow, in the locker room?.
"There's a lot of talent in the SEC. We're glad to have Tebow here. He's a tremendous worker, a hard worker and he brings that leadership quality as well. It will be a great thing to have him on the field and in the locker room."

You've played all 16 games and totaled at least 400 receiving yards in seven of eight NFL seasons. Do you do anything in particular that has helped you stay healthy for your career?
"I guess that's just I've been fortunate. God's been looking down on me and I've never -- knock on wood -- had an injury that has kept me out of a game. I've always been able to stay healthy and play every game."

Do you take pride in being someone the team can always count on?
"That's what it's about. I hate missing games. I've never missed a game and I don't look forward to missing a game. If I can be out there playing with an injury, then I'm going to be out there."

You went to a Super Bowl and lost to the Giants -- does the feeling of that game drive you to get back there?
"Oh yeah. That's why we play the game. Having a little taste of it, I definitely want to get back there and I want to win one. We've got a lot of guys here that haven't won one that have been in the playoffs, and we're all striving to get that here."

How helpful is having a year in the offense under your belt?
"The more you're in it, the more comfortable you feel in it, the more you understand what you can and can't do and realize what the defense is doing a little bit faster. Hopefully I'll be able to go out there and recognize stuff and be able to get to the right place and feel comfortable doing it, knowing we're going to make the right play."

Have you set goals for yourself for the 2010 season?
"I always set little goals. Mainly just to stay healthy and catch every ball that comes my way. Those are my main two."

Now you have a long break until training camp -- do you have any specific plans?
"Just relax. Try to relax for a little bit and then work hard and get ready for training camp."

Lonestar
06-25-2010, 01:11 PM
nice to have an experienced Vet to guide the rookies one that has his head on straight.

broncohead
06-25-2010, 02:49 PM
nice to have an experienced Vet to guide the rookies one that has his head on straight.

I'd rather win games then worry about players who have their "head on straight"

SR
06-25-2010, 03:25 PM
I'm surprised Demarious (SP?) Thomas didn't come up in the questions at all. I like Gaffney. I don't think he's a solid number one guy, be he is definitely a solid second guy. Once Thomas gets a hold of the offense, with Gaffney as a #2 and Eddie Royal as our slot guy, IMO we have a pretty good group. Not to mention Stokely.

BroncoWave
06-25-2010, 03:55 PM
I'm surprised Demarious (SP?) Thomas didn't come up in the questions at all. I like Gaffney. I don't think he's a solid number one guy, be he is definitely a solid second guy. Once Thomas gets a hold of the offense, with Gaffney as a #2 and Eddie Royal as our slot guy, IMO we have a pretty good group. Not to mention Stokely.

Agreed, I really like our WR corps for this year. And even if DT struggles early, Gaffney can be a serviceable #1 until he's ready. You never know with rookie WRs though so hopefully at least one out of DT/Decker will play well this season.

SR
06-25-2010, 06:10 PM
I forgot about Decker. Hopefully he pans out too. As long as we can get them the ball and have more success this year than last. A lot of the success of our WRs will depend on our running game. It has to be better than last year. Period.

Bosco
06-26-2010, 12:03 AM

The slot guy/Z receiver is actually the #1 or #2 progression in this offense. The Y receiver role that Gaffney plays is the #3 progression.

We'll probably continue to lean on Gaffney in the early part of the season simply because of his versatility and experience in the system, but once everyone is up to speed he's going to be settling back into that #3 spot.

Lonestar
06-26-2010, 12:34 AM
I'd rather win games then worry about players who have their "head on straight"

they are not mutually exclusive.

we all saw that marshall did not lead us to the promised land and he was a head case.

broncohead
06-26-2010, 03:58 AM
they are not mutually exclusive.

we all saw that marshall did not lead us to the promised land and he was a head case.

Not sayin Marshall was goin to. Just sayin that it's nice to have the good guys or real pros on your team but winning is more important imo even if that means having guys like marshall.

Lonestar
06-26-2010, 09:37 AM
Yes having uber talent is great.

But when it is disruptive as BM has been with all his drama, injuries, legal issues.

There is a certain point where it enough is too much. So we lose a few receptions. They will probably be picked up by 2-3 others with perhaps better results.

IMO the kids we P/U in the draft may just make most fans quickly forget him.

One is an inch shorter an faster the other is just as fast and only dropped 13 passes in college a number that BM dropped atleast that many each year.

Not to mention they are great kids.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

broncobryce
06-26-2010, 11:37 AM

I have a feeling Stokely will not make the roster this season. Kinda depends on Decker and Willis I guess. I thought the WR that far down on the depth chart would need to contribute to special teams, I don't think Stokes does that at this point in his career.

nevcraw
06-26-2010, 12:06 PM
we all saw that marshall did not lead us to the promised land

when it has it been a wr to lead any team to the promised land?