PDA

View Full Version : The Playmaker

Denver Native (Carol)
06-24-2010, 03:45 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=10207

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- While at Oklahoma State, Perrish Cox believed he could make a big play every time an opposing quarterback looked his way. Likewise, the former Cowboy cornerback viewed each opportunity to return a kick as a chance to find the end zone.

That approach allowed Cox to amass 10 interceptions and six kick return touchdowns in his decorated college career.

It's also that quiet confidence that Cox credits for his early impact on the Broncos. During OTAs, Cox often worked with the first-team defense, while getting ample chance to showcase his kick return skills during special teams drills.

For a fifth-round pick, Cox has left an impressive early impression with more than a month to go before his first training camp. The 23-year old wouldn't have expected anything less.

"It isn't a surprise,” Cox said after a minicamp session earlier this month. “I'm just working as hard as I can. (Head Coach Josh) McDaniels is giving me the chance, and the veterans are giving me a chance to do it, so I'm just trying to go make the best of it."

As he waited into the third day at this year's NFL Draft to hear his name called, all Cox wanted was a chance. Rated by many as one of the top cornerbacks available, the Broncos made Cox their first defensive selection with the draft's 137th pick.

Instead of focusing his efforts on proving he warranted an earlier pick, Cox wants his play to make people forget about the draft entirely. He's perfectly content forging his role as a member of Don 'Wink' Martindale's defense and a veteran secondary with a ready-made mentor in Champ Bailey.

"(My draft position is) one of the things I look forward to progressing away from," Cox said. "I'm trying to leave that behind me and just move forward from there. I'm where I want to be, and I've got my goals."

Since his arrival in the Mile High City, Cox has only bolstered that case.

The rookie has distinguished himself from a group of talented young corners competing for reps alongside returning starters Bailey and Andre' Goodman. In 11-on-11 drills at the team's three-day minicamp earlier this month, Cox most often stepped in as the first cornerback substitute. While McDaniels said Cox has not done enough yet to unseat Eddie Royal as the team's primary returner, the former All-American returner has also impressed with his special teams work.

In addition to his combination of size and athleticism, Cox's work ethic and attitude have helped put him into a favorable position before he attends his first training camp.

"He goes about his business every day," McDaniels said. "He’s out there working hard. He’s here early and stays late. He’s trying to find a role in the kicking game as well as competing at both sides at corner. He hasn’t disappointed us in terms of what we thought we were getting.”

The second-year head coach acknowledged Cox has faced the same growing pains any rookie cornerback or returner faces but said Cox's ability to learn from his mistakes has helped him earn more experienced teammates' respect.

Seven-year veteran Nate Jones, who is also competing for time in the secondary, picked up on that right away.

“Every time you get a rookie class there’s always going to be some guys that stand out -- You’re like, ‘OK, this kid’s got something going on,'" Jones said. "He’s got the tools. He fights. He’s a good player, and he works hard. The best is yet to come for him.”

Cox said he's noticed his own improvement in recent months as he's grasped the playbook and adapted to working against bigger and stronger receivers. He hopes to continue that progression into the break before training camp with a simple plan: "train, train, train," he said. The 23-year old said secondary coach Ed Donatell and Bailey can expect plenty of phone calls during that time.

Ultimately, Cox's top priority in the NFL remains the same -- continue to make the game-changing plays that garnered him so much attention at Oklahoma State.

Cox, who said he uses the return game to motivate him on the defensive end, knows it will take a lot of work to become such a dual threat.

But whether it comes on defense or special teams, Cox isn't shy about putting his first NFL score on his rookie season to-do list.

"That's the main goal," Cox said with a smile. "I'm always looking for that end zone."

jhildebrand
06-24-2010, 04:02 PM
Nice find.

I think Perish is eventually going to be Champ's replacement. I believe the guy is that good. I look forward to watching him at this years TC.

claymore
06-24-2010, 04:04 PM
McDaniels loves Cox.

BroncoWave
06-24-2010, 04:08 PM
McDaniels loves Cox.

It's good to see you've finally found something you have in common with McD! :salute:

SOCALORADO.
06-24-2010, 04:13 PM
Perrish will supplant Champ, and next year Champ will be traded in a draft day trade for a 2nd and 5th. DEN will have 3 2nds, and will continue to build, and Perrish will shine as a Bronco.
Claymore also loves him some Cox when he can get it at the trailer park.
Carol will win the lottery and treat all the posters here to a huge 2 month, all inclusive party boat cruise.

Oh and yes, Cox was an absolute steal in the 5th!
Yes, Alphie sucks, and wont see the field this year.

T.K.O.
06-24-2010, 04:14 PM
fine carol....i will just delete my thread,that was posted a full 2 min. before yours:laugh:
j/k i usually count on you for the scoop anyway;)

T.K.O.
06-24-2010, 04:18 PM
Perrish will supplant Champ, and next year Champ will be traded in a draft day trade for a 2nd and 5th. DEN will have 3 2nds, and will continue to build, and Perrish will shine as a Bronco.
Carol will win the lottery and treat all the posters here to a huge 2 month, all inclusive party boat cruise.

i won the powerball lottery last night,my friend (who is a lotto-maniac) called me and said the winning ticket was sold in northern montana .so i went down to the gas station where i got the ticket....and BANG !
winner.....winner......chicken dinner !
3 bucks !:elefant:
i could take everybody on an all-inclusive "split 3 cheeseburgers at the mcdonalds parking lot party"

claymore
06-24-2010, 04:19 PM
It's good to see you've finally found something you have in common with McD! :salute:

That and I dont know shit about football, or drafting. :laugh:

BroncoWave
06-24-2010, 04:21 PM

And your knack for causing trouble. :beer:

T.K.O.
06-24-2010, 04:27 PM

http://img8.photobucket.com/albums/v26/darkjedi/OhsnapMario.gif

SOCALORADO.
06-24-2010, 04:29 PM
i won the powerball lottery last night,my friend (who is a lotto-maniac) called me and said the winning ticket was sold in northern montana .so i went down to the gas station where i got the ticket....and BANG !
winner.....winner......chicken dinner !
3 bucks !:elefant:
i could take everybody on an all-inclusive "split 3 cheeseburgers at the mcdonalds parking lot party"

See! Freakin told you!

slim
06-24-2010, 04:32 PM

Thanks for the new sig.

T.K.O.
06-24-2010, 04:35 PM
Thanks for the new sig.

i debated posting " well at least you have a new sig clay " but i wanted to play nice:laugh:
so i went with the "oh snap" thing

BroncoWave
06-24-2010, 04:39 PM

Also, if you admit to know nothing of football or drafting, and you say McD sucks at football knowledge and drafting, then logic would lead us to assume that McD actually has very good football knowledge and drafting ability! :D

Lonestar
06-24-2010, 08:51 PM

I'm not so sure that Champ is not in the final year of his contract so will be an UFA come march 2011.

lets hope that the character issues that kept him from going on day one do not surface again.

TXBRONC
06-24-2010, 11:15 PM
Also, if you admit to know nothing of football or drafting, and you say McD sucks at football knowledge and drafting, then logic would lead us to assume that McD actually has very good football knowledge and drafting ability! :D

Clay knows ignorance when he see it. :confused:

Wait that come out right. :tsk:

J/K