PDA

View Full Version : Dumervil A Pro Bowl Caliber Player

TXBRONC
06-04-2008, 10:14 PM
According to this week's team report from The Sporting News Rasizer thinks that Dumervil is a Pro Bowl caliber player in this League.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=419641

Broncos Team Report
Posted: June 4, 2008
Lee Rasizer
For Sporting News

PERSONNEL ANALYSIS: The continued rehabilitation by third-year wide receiver Brandon Marshall allowed Broncos coaches to get a closer look at the depth they have at the position at the first two-week mini-camp. While it's too soon to tell if early optimism is well-founded, it's clear the Broncos will have a more experienced corps overall with Darrell Jackson capable of starting and Keary Colbert also playing a key role.

The biggest first impression, however, was made by rookie second-round pick Eddie Royal. His ability to disseminate the offense quickly, coupled with speed and quickness coming out of breaks and better than expected hands had his teammates glowing. Royal will push for playing time out of the slot. . . .

New defensive coordinator Bob Slowik is known as a teacher, and that's important after the confusion over roles and hesitation that permeated an underachieving stop-unit for most of 2007. Slowik is tweaking terminology, which includes new, specific run fits for players and a turn to a numbers-based system. T

The goal is to simplify as much as possible to build a foundation now, while adding blitzes, coverages and game plans at a later date. Denver will go over initial installation four times before training camp opens in late July to drive home the 'team' part of the defense.

DEFENSIVE ENDS ANALYSIS: Elvis Dumervil has established himself as a top-10 pass rusher but needs his total snap count limited. Enter Ebenezer Ekuban, coming off a ruptured Achilles, who will help provide a boost as a bigger-bodied lineman able to anchor vs. the run while providing veteran leadership. But the group's ability overall to make a leap into the upper tier of the position depends on the development of their '07 draftees in their second season.

Jarvis Moss and Tim Crowder both have considerable physical gifts. Moss has the skills to disrupt passing games but needs to balance his speed attack with power and deliver on his promise of more diligent pre-game preparation. Crowder has the strength and athleticism to contribute as an every-down player, but he needs to smooth his technique. Grade: B. Pro Bowl-caliber players: Dumervil.

dogfish
06-05-2008, 02:22 AM
damn right!! he'll probably always have limitations against the run due to his size, but the G-men gave us a graphic illustration of what a quality pass rush can do, and doom brings some serious heat. . . . :werd:

LoyalSoldier
06-05-2008, 02:39 AM
damn right!! he'll probably always have limitations against the run due to his size, but the G-men gave us a graphic illustration of what a quality pass rush can do, and doom brings some serious heat. . . . :werd:

A lot of good pass rushers were never really that great against the run. Usually the ones that are good against the run are the bull dozer types rather than the speed types. Although the speed types tend to prove to be more productive.

Joel
06-05-2008, 03:27 AM
It really depends on what's between the bookends, always has; last year just made it more obvious. It's definitely good to see Ekuban is coming back strong; I always refer to it when speaking of him, but anyone who can chase down Tomlinson across the width of the field and tackle him from behind for a loss can be on my team any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Still loving Doom and Crowder; I'm willing to give Moss a shot if he can stay healthy but Doom and Crowder are the starters of the future for me. Doom's certainly smaller than Ekkie, but the blindside end usually sacrifices power for speed, and is often rewarded by a QB cocked to throw losing the ball when he's slammed by a blitzer he can't see. If we have a REAL anchor on the line, a quality run stopping NT, then both ends have more freedom to blitz, just as the backers have more liberty to blitz and/or play coverage. Otherwise teams like SD and KC will run up the gut all day long and the ends will get their tackles along with the backers, safeties and Champ, but most of those will be five yards on the wrong side of the LOS. I HATE seeing my secondary make lots of run stops, 'cos that's too late.

Again, I like Doom and Crowder a lot, and think they can excel if we don't demand they be the whole D like we keep trying to do with D.J. and our secondary. But it doesn't just start in the trenches: It starts AT THE BALL, which ought to be obvious if you think about it. As important as talented, experienced, strong and nimble centers are, don't you think a first rate NT is important, too...?

And we went through all the hype last year; as far as I'm concerned Robertson looks like a good deal for the price, but until he proves it on the field he hasn't plugged a gaping whole any more than Sam Adams or Tim Kennedy did. That Kennedy trade still sticks in my craw; how do you trade a draft pick for a guy you cut at the end of TC...?

gobroncsnv
06-05-2008, 06:51 AM
But it doesn't just start in the trenches: It starts AT THE BALL, which ought to be obvious if you think about it. As important as talented, experienced, strong and nimble centers are, don't you think a first rate NT is important, too...?

Agreed... you start up front in the middle, then work your way out, and back. We have been trying to do this backwards.

Timmy!
06-05-2008, 06:54 AM
People who aren't Bronco fans won't believe what our DL will do this year. Watch and see.

Ziggy
06-05-2008, 07:39 AM
The D line will determine the fate of this defense. Out of Moss, Crowder, and THomas, I think 2 of the 3 have to stay healthy and have a big leap in production for this defense to be respectable. Dumervil will have at least 14 sacks if the rest of the D line shows up.

EastCoastBronco
06-05-2008, 07:55 AM
The D line always determines the fate of the defence. How many times in the last 3 years have we seen the opposing offence in a 3rd and short-mid situation and you just sat there helplessly waiting for the ref to signal "first down".
If the D line gets immediate, effective pressure (and I don't just mean off the edges), opposing QB's like Manning don't complete those dinky 5 yard ins and outs that have killed us so many times. The AFC championship game against Pitt was the most glaring display of this I have ever witnessed.

underrated29
06-05-2008, 08:18 AM
Timmy got a point.

We have a TALENTED DL!!!!!!

Moss -1st rd pick
ekuban -1st rd
crowder-2nd rd
thomas-4th, but would be 1st if he didnt get in trouble
robertson-1st rd
doom-4th, but obviously is of 1st rd talent.

Its almost all 1st rdrs on our line. We will be sensational once they gain a little experience and 1 more good dt.

Backups

mckinly-? average player
peterson-? average player
engelberger- great against run, below average everyehwere else.
mallard- i like him, but havent seen enough of him. -average player.

We are pretty set on DL

Requiem / The Dagda
06-05-2008, 12:02 PM
Dumervil was deserving of a Pro-Bowl slot last year.

BOSSHOGG30
06-05-2008, 12:10 PM
Dumervil was deserving of a Pro-Bowl slot last year.

I agree, but so did Jared Allen, Mario Williams, Jason Taylor, Kyle Vanden Bosch, and a couple of other guys. Doom doesn't have it easy in the AFC. Good thing Allen moved on to the NFC, but I'm sure someone else will pick up in the AFC will pick up his game and make it even harder for Doom.

haroldthebarrel
06-05-2008, 12:28 PM
one very interesting thing about Dumervil is that the FO did complain a lot about uncalled holding penalties and used videos of Dumervil as examples.
With the league now saying they will put emphasis on holding it should be interesting to see how he does.

Requiem / The Dagda
06-05-2008, 12:45 PM
I agree, but so did Jared Allen, Mario Williams, Jason Taylor, Kyle Vanden Bosch, and a couple of other guys. Doom doesn't have it easy in the AFC. Good thing Allen moved on to the NFC, but I'm sure someone else will pick up in the AFC will pick up his game and make it even harder for Doom.

Yeah, I was hoping someone was going to mention all those players because it slipped my mind. :beer:

Ziggy
06-05-2008, 01:53 PM
Timmy got a point.

We have a TALENTED DL!!!!!!

Moss -1st rd pick
ekuban -1st rd
crowder-2nd rd
thomas-4th, but would be 1st if he didnt get in trouble
robertson-1st rd
doom-4th, but obviously is of 1st rd talent.

Its almost all 1st rdrs on our line. We will be sensational once they gain a little experience and 1 more good dt.

Backups

mckinly-? average player
peterson-? average player
engelberger- great against run, below average everyehwere else.
mallard- i like him, but havent seen enough of him. -average player.
We are pretty set on DL

Don't count out Carlton Powell. He's a beast against the run and should get some quality playing time this season.

TXBRONC
06-05-2008, 05:06 PM

While his size may be negative in the run game, it's one of his biggest assets when rushing the passer. There isn't offensive tackle out there that he doesn't have natural leverage advantage against.