PDA

View Full Version : Under McDaniels' guidance, Broncos have cleaned up their act

Denver Native (Carol)
06-22-2010, 10:26 AM
http://www.gazette.com/sports/mcdaniels-100361-act-broncos.html

ENGLEWOOD • The post-practice prayer circle is becoming a tradition for the Broncos.

It started with a few players and has grown. After each of the last two practices of the Broncos’ mandatory minicamp, there were 30-35 players on one knee in a large circle.

Safety Brian Dawkins delivered a mini-sermon.

A large prayer circle is not unusual after games, but it’s new for a Broncos practice.

Coach Josh McDaniels wasn’t hoping to put together a prayer group with his personnel moves of the past two offseasons. He did, however, put a premium on high-character players. For example, No. 15 switched hands from troubled Brandon Marshall to Tim Tebow, whose idea of a summer vacation is missionary work in the Philippines.

McDaniels now has a group of solid professionals. There are no players who stand out as cancers in the locker room. The Broncos’ public relations staff speaks glowingly about how accommodating and respectful the players are in regards to dealing with the media. Overall, it’s a group of relatively nice guys.

There have been plenty of not-so-nice guys that have had great careers in the NFL. Won Super Bowls. Participated in countless Pro Bowls. Members of the Pro Football Hall of Fame. But McDaniels feels there is a tangible benefit in having good people in the locker room.

“The reason we say we want high-character players is because you can eliminate distractions that don’t allow you to keep your focus on winning football games,” McDaniels said. “I think they’re really dedicated to trying to do everything they can to win and that includes not creating anything within our own building that could hurt our opportunity to do that.”

There’s no guarantee the Broncos won’t be dealing with some off-field issues, but McDaniels has worked to minimize them. Trading Marshall to the Dolphins was an example of how the Broncos operate now. They could have pressured Marshall into playing for his restricted free agent tender offer, but that would have caused numerous problems. Under Mike Shanahan’s tenure, the team took chances on plenty of players with faulty character, and often ended up with headaches. That has changed.

“There’s no troublemakers, you try to keep that out of the locker room,” cornerback Nate Jones said. “You try to keep guys that approach their job like it’s a job and never take it for granted.”

Coaches don’t like to be distracted during the season. They work crazy hours just to get that week’s plan set.

“It’s hard enough to win in this league as it is and if you put time towards other things other than (winning), you know, you’re probably going to fall behind at some point,” McDaniels said.

Cornerback Champ Bailey said he thinks character matters. He used outside linebacker Elvis Dumervil, who hasn’t caused any problems for the Broncos during his career and wants a long-term contract, as an example of the type of player who helps on and off the field.

“One thing you want to do is trust the guy next to you,” Bailey said. “If I know this guy is depending on me, and I like him, and we understand each other, I don’t want to let him down.

“You want guys that know what you can expect from them, guys that really appreciate what they have in front of them.”

There is a balance. Someone like Marshall was a constant disruption during his Broncos career, but he was Denver’s best receiver. Whether or not character will matter much in the Broncos’ final record, McDaniels is happy with the players he has assembled.

“I’m proud to be their coach,” McDaniels said. “This is a group of players that come to work with a great attitude every day.”

Notes:

Denver Broncos fans will get their first glimpse of rookie quarterback Tim Tebow and the rest of the team in action on Aug. 1, the first day that training camp practice will be open to the public.

The Broncos rookies report to training camp July 26, but the rookies practices aren’t open to the public. The veterans report July 31, and the first full-squad practices are the next day.

Most practices during training camp are open to the public at the team’s Dove Valley headquarters in Englewood, and they are free of charge. The team will hold a scrimmage at Invesco Field at Mile High during August, but the date has not been announced.

Northman
06-22-2010, 10:28 AM
Lets hope that it all translates to wins.

arapaho2
06-22-2010, 11:35 AM
it’s a group of relatively nice guys.

thers an old saying...nice guys finish last

although i wonder why quinn and fields who have cause distractions with off the field troubles are exempt?

nice is good...but i'd kinde like some " he's a mean ass mutha ******" in there to

Denver Native (Carol)
06-22-2010, 11:59 AM
nice is good...but i'd kinde like some " he's a mean ass mutha ******" in there to

Here ya go

http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/bronco...2.1740104.html

"(J.D. Walton is) kind of a nasty guy, not personally, but on the football field, which is kind of a good attitude to have for an interior lineman," McDaniels said.

Walton was the Broncos third-round pick from Baylor in the draft. He doesn't mind McDaniels' characterization one bit.

"We're mean guys, so you've just got to take pride in that and just have fun with it," Walton said.

"When we're on the field it's all business and hard work and we're tough guys and we'll mush a couple faces in the dirt," rookie guard Seth Olsen said. "But when we're off the field we've got to be together. That's just how we have to play, we have to play as a unit."

T.K.O.
06-22-2010, 12:03 PM

although i wonder why quinn and fields who have cause distractions with off the field troubles are exempt?

ever heard of a guy named brian dawkins ?
i'm pretty sure you would be hard pressed to find anyone in the nfl that would say he's soft !:laugh:
having good character does'nt mean your not tough...typically the loud bunch that gets in trouble are the weak ones....like the guys who are only badasses when they have a "gang" around them.
put them in a one on one fight and the quiet guy kicks his ass 99% of the time:laugh:

Denver Native (Carol)
06-22-2010, 12:09 PM
TKO - perfect example - Brian Dawkins :salute:

arapaho2
06-22-2010, 12:14 PM
to bad brian has about one year left in the tank

T.K.O.
06-22-2010, 12:33 PM
to bad brian has about one year left in the tank

even more sad is the fact that you can take a positive article about positive changes to the team and let it bum you out so quickly:laugh:
maybe you should just skip over the good news and concentrate on the hate?

Denver Native (Carol)
06-22-2010, 12:39 PM
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Broncos-hoping-defensive-line-investment-pays-off.html

The Broncos made a concerted effort to get tougher upfront, signing veteran linemen Justin Bannan, Jamal Williams and Jarvis Green to overhaul the front seven.

Mike
06-22-2010, 12:41 PM

You're right we should strive for the excellence like the Raiders have achieved. :rolleyes:

Bosco
06-22-2010, 01:57 PM
although i wonder why quinn and fields who have cause distractions with off the field troubles are exempt? Quinn's charges were dropped and Fields' still hasn't been decided to my knowledge, and in both their cases it was the first time either of them have ever been in trouble.

to bad brian has about one year left in the tank How's that matter? You were given an example of someone who can be nasty on the field while still being a high character person.

What's laughable is that someone actually had to point that fact out to you.

BroncoWave
06-22-2010, 02:00 PM
http://hostingbytes.us/images/2/7668561.jpg

arapaho2
06-22-2010, 04:20 PM
even more sad is the fact that you can take a positive article about positive changes to the team and let it bum you out so quickly:laugh:
maybe you should just skip over the good news and concentrate on the hate?

wheres the hate....seems you should take your own advise when gleaming over my posts

is there or is there not a old saying that nice guys finish last?

did i also say i kinda wanna see some of the " he's a mean mutha ****** in there

now back off:rolleyes:

Bosco
06-22-2010, 04:24 PM

did i also say i kinda wanna see some of the " he's a mean mutha ****** in there

now back off:rolleyes: And you were told how you could have both, which as I said is downright amazing that you needed that explained to you.

arapaho2
06-22-2010, 04:27 PM
Quinn's charges were dropped and Fields' still hasn't been decided to my knowledge, and in both their cases it was the first time either of them have ever been in trouble.

How's that matter? You were given an example of someone who can be nasty on the field while still being a high character person.

What's laughable is that someone actually had to point that fact out to you.

no body had to point out dawkins to me..silly child

i know all about him...all i said was i wanna see more mean ass mutha ******s than nice guys...does that compute to dawkins isnt?

no it doesnt...i want to see more tatum, lambert,dawkins,atwater,lynch,white,....i dont care if thier peddling johova witness propagana on days off..on the field i want some mean and nasty, im gonna knock your teeth out attitudes....

Bosco
06-22-2010, 04:30 PM
no body had to point out dawkins to me..silly child

i know all about him...all i said was i wanna see more mean ass mutha ******s than nice guys...does that compute to dawkins isnt?

no it doesnt...i want to see more tatum, lambert,dawkins,atwater,lynch,white,....i dont care if thier peddling johova witness propagana on days off..on the field i want some mean and nasty, im gonna knock your teeth out attitudes....

You started spouting off about nice guys finishing last and then said you wanted mean mother******s. If you realized that they weren't mutually exclusive, why bitch about it to begin with?

Slick
06-22-2010, 04:33 PM
Because lately people want to bitch for the sake of bitching. I swear, sometimes I think Tned should shut this place down for a couple months in the summer. It's getting ridiculous.

Tempus Fugit
06-22-2010, 04:37 PM
Kayaking can be a lot of fun, and it's great exercise, especially for your upper body.

http://www.martingordon.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/the_more_you_know.jpg

T.K.O.
06-22-2010, 04:52 PM
wheres the hate....seems you should take your own advise when gleaming over my posts

now back off:rolleyes:

ooooooooh:shocked:......:laugh:
nice backpeddling what you said was"but i'd kinde like some " he's a mean ass mutha ******" in there to

not your more recent stance that you just said you wanted more

so you see when you dive head first into a thread where people want to read about and discuss positive things going on with the team and you start throwing out trash like you did.your gonna find that people will call you on it .
you've been schooled....accept it and move on:salute:

arapaho2
06-22-2010, 06:21 PM
Because lately people want to bitch for the sake of bitching. I swear, sometimes I think Tned should shut this place down for a couple months in the summer. It's getting ridiculous.
Or maybe u
You could just stay away?...no need to shut it down

Slick
06-22-2010, 06:28 PM
Or maybe u
You could just stay away?...no need to shut it down

You showed up a couple months ago to bitch about McDaniels, and you have done basically nothing but since. Why don't you go back to Mania?

We get it. You don't like anything we've done since McDaniels took over.

At least Clay's funny.

GGMoogly
06-22-2010, 07:14 PM
Man oh man, I'm missing the juicy stuff on this thread. Quick...someone get me up to speed...Who is going to kick who's behind, now? :argue:

T.K.O.
06-22-2010, 07:27 PM
Man oh man, I'm missing the juicy stuff on this thread. Quick...someone get me up to speed...Who is going kick who's behind, now? :argue:

you missed it...the "behind" in question has been kicked:elefant:

Superchop 7
06-22-2010, 07:48 PM
Great now he can work on the character in the front office.

Tempus Fugit
06-22-2010, 07:56 PM
I must have missed the fun....

Was popcorn served?

topscribe
06-22-2010, 08:10 PM
Do we really need to be inviting each other to leave the board?

-----

Slick
06-22-2010, 09:55 PM
Do we really need to be inviting each other to leave the board?

-----

No. I was out of line.

Please accept my deepest apologies Arapaho.

T.K.O.
06-22-2010, 10:05 PM
No. I was out of line.

just as batman needs the joker....superman needs lex luthor.....slick needs arapaho.....the board needs balance.
he may stay:salute:

Denver Native (Carol)
06-22-2010, 10:05 PM
I must have missed the fun....

Was popcorn served?

:popcorn::pop2::popcorn::pop2:

Northman
06-23-2010, 01:01 AM
Man oh man, I'm missing the juicy stuff on this thread. Quick...someone get me up to speed...Who is going to kick who's behind, now? :argue:

http://www.hollow-hill.com/sabina/images/someone-wrong-on-internet.jpg

broncophan
06-23-2010, 03:38 AM
Once again.............another thread has gone sour and forces me to say......."this season cannot get started fast enough........"

arapaho2
06-24-2010, 11:18 AM
You showed up a couple months ago to bitch about McDaniels, and you have done basically nothing but since. Why don't you go back to Mania?

We get it. You don't like anything we've done since McDaniels took over.

At least Clay's funny.

i showed up when this board was born....in fact i was on mania when the issues that forced the creation of this board were installed:lol::lol::lol:

so ah...no

arapaho2
06-24-2010, 11:25 AM
You started spouting off about nice guys finishing last and then said you wanted mean mother******s. If you realized that they weren't mutually exclusive, why bitch about it to begin with?

whos bitching...my oh my how some people get their panties in a bunch:lol:

all i said was theres an old saying...nice guys finish last

followed by.....i wanna see more mean ass mutha ******s...is that bitching?...no..its saying what i wanna see...period

its not even a condemnation of mcd...its simply a statment..i wanna see more mean...more al wilson mean...who was a nice guy off the field, more ray lewis mean...is that bad?..is that worthy of all this hate being thrown at me?

its a simple statment..get over it...sorry you take it as a slight to the golden boy of coaching...it wasnt

go have pms with someone else ...jeesh:tsk:

arapaho2
06-24-2010, 11:26 AM
No. I was out of line.

i got no issue with it...carry on:beer:

Lonestar
06-24-2010, 11:31 AM
http://www.gazette.com/sports/mcdaniels-100361-act-broncos.html

ENGLEWOOD • The post-practice prayer circle is becoming a tradition for the Broncos.

It started with a few players and has grown. After each of the last two practices of the Broncos’ mandatory minicamp, there were 30-35 players on one knee in a large circle.

Safety Brian Dawkins delivered a mini-sermon.

A large prayer circle is not unusual after games, but it’s new for a Broncos practice.

Coach Josh McDaniels wasn’t hoping to put together a prayer group with his personnel moves of the past two offseasons. He did, however, put a premium on high-character players. For example, No. 15 switched hands from troubled Brandon Marshall to Tim Tebow, whose idea of a summer vacation is missionary work in the Philippines.

McDaniels now has a group of solid professionals. There are no players who stand out as cancers in the locker room. The Broncos’ public relations staff speaks glowingly about how accommodating and respectful the players are in regards to dealing with the media. Overall, it’s a group of relatively nice guys.

There have been plenty of not-so-nice guys that have had great careers in the NFL. Won Super Bowls. Participated in countless Pro Bowls. Members of the Pro Football Hall of Fame. But McDaniels feels there is a tangible benefit in having good people in the locker room.

“The reason we say we want high-character players is because you can eliminate distractions that don’t allow you to keep your focus on winning football games,” McDaniels said. “I think they’re really dedicated to trying to do everything they can to win and that includes not creating anything within our own building that could hurt our opportunity to do that.”

There’s no guarantee the Broncos won’t be dealing with some off-field issues, but McDaniels has worked to minimize them. Trading Marshall to the Dolphins was an example of how the Broncos operate now. They could have pressured Marshall into playing for his restricted free agent tender offer, but that would have caused numerous problems. Under Mike Shanahan’s tenure, the team took chances on plenty of players with faulty character, and often ended up with headaches. That has changed.

“There’s no troublemakers, you try to keep that out of the locker room,” cornerback Nate Jones said. “You try to keep guys that approach their job like it’s a job and never take it for granted.”

Coaches don’t like to be distracted during the season. They work crazy hours just to get that week’s plan set.

“It’s hard enough to win in this league as it is and if you put time towards other things other than (winning), you know, you’re probably going to fall behind at some point,” McDaniels said.

Cornerback Champ Bailey said he thinks character matters. He used outside linebacker Elvis Dumervil, who hasn’t caused any problems for the Broncos during his career and wants a long-term contract, as an example of the type of player who helps on and off the field.

“One thing you want to do is trust the guy next to you,” Bailey said. “If I know this guy is depending on me, and I like him, and we understand each other, I don’t want to let him down.

“You want guys that know what you can expect from them, guys that really appreciate what they have in front of them.”

There is a balance. Someone like Marshall was a constant disruption during his Broncos career, but he was Denver’s best receiver. Whether or not character will matter much in the Broncos’ final record, McDaniels is happy with the players he has assembled.

“I’m proud to be their coach,” McDaniels said. “This is a group of players that come to work with a great attitude every day.”

Notes:

Denver Broncos fans will get their first glimpse of rookie quarterback Tim Tebow and the rest of the team in action on Aug. 1, the first day that training camp practice will be open to the public.

The Broncos rookies report to training camp July 26, but the rookies practices aren’t open to the public. The veterans report July 31, and the first full-squad practices are the next day.

Most practices during training camp are open to the public at the team’s Dove Valley headquarters in Englewood, and they are free of charge. The team will hold a scrimmage at Invesco Field at Mile High during August, but the date has not been announced.

after reading part of the bitch fest and by part only the quotes of one malcontent as I have him and others on IGGY.

I will try to get this thread back NEAR track..

thanks Carol for a great POSITIVE article about the broncos.

I liked this part in particular

I guess I have to wonder if BM and TS were that much of a distraction last year during the season.

topscribe
06-24-2010, 11:48 AM
whos bitching...my oh my how some people get their panties in a bunch:lol:

all i said was theres an old saying...nice guys finish last

followed by.....i wanna see more mean ass mutha ******s...is that bitching?...no..its saying what i wanna see...period

its not even a condemnation of mcd...its simply a statment..i wanna see more mean...more al wilson mean...who was a nice guy off the field, more ray lewis mean...is that bad?..is that worthy of all this hate being thrown at me?

its a simple statment..get over it...sorry you take it as a slight to the golden boy of coaching...it wasnt

go have pms with someone else ...jeesh:tsk:

I'm with you, in that I'd like to see some Bill Romanowskis and Al Wilsons on
defense and Tom Nalens and Mark Schlereths on offense. One thing I hate is
to see my team trying to "finesse" their way to a win while the other team is
shoving the ball up our . . . well, down our throats . . .

-----

Tempus Fugit
06-24-2010, 12:03 PM

-----

Last year's defensive problem was mainly on the line, although I'm not saying that the LB corps was anything special. 3-4 defenses that have D-lines which can't stand against the run end up looking soft all the way through the defense. If Williams can stay healthy, and still has something in the tank, you're going to think that the LB corps was secretly replaced, because they will look a hell of a lot more aggressive, since they'll be taking on tight ends and fullbacks instead of guards and tackles.

Lonestar
06-24-2010, 12:08 PM

-----
there is a difference, until the spitting incident none of them were off the field distractions and then not so sure that was all that big a deal for the team.

Lonestar
06-24-2010, 12:15 PM
Last year's defensive problem was mainly on the line, although I'm not saying that the LB corps was anything special. 3-4 defenses that have D-lines which can't stand against the run end up looking soft all the way through the defense. If Williams can stay healthy, and still has something in the tank, you're going to think that the LB corps was secretly replaced, because they will look a hell of a lot more aggressive, since they'll be taking on tight ends and fullbacks instead of guards and tackles.

some folks do not see how much having a weak center hurt this team and that is not to mention hamilton being the weakest link of them all.

factoring in the loss of Harris and it was almost catastrophic.

having one newbie on the team is tough having two and a real weak sister is something else.

where kuper could help out casey the year before now he has to help out tyler who was out of his depth completely.

So now casey is on an island by himself because hockstein was not great either.

now the only player on the oline that almost played up to the years before standard was clady and even he had lost his help when graham line up on the rigth side more.

tony s was worthless as a teat on a boar so when they needed two TE that meant the rookie had to play.

the oline was a total fubar last year especially near the end.

no cohesive blocking means break downs in both the running and oassing game,

arapaho2
06-24-2010, 12:31 PM

-----

thats exactly what i meant..i wanna see the ray lewis..anyone that moves gets their teeth knocked out....attitudes

kuum by yaa ing down the field is ok:rolleyes:...but i'd rather see the offense take the ..we're gonna move this ball down the field..and theres not a dam thing you can do but get out of the way..attitude..mean and nasty

some people get a little bent over the smallest of things