PDA

View Full Version : Broncos saddle up, forget 2007

Italianmobstr7
06-03-2008, 04:02 PM
Broncos saddle up, forget 2007

By Jim Corbett, USA TODAY

Champ and Boss Bailey often discussed the prospect but wondered if their shared dream of playing on the same NFL defense would ever amount to anything more than a brotherly version of fantasy football.
But now that they've been united with the Denver Broncos, the 2008 season is sure to be memorable for the new defensive mates after Champ's younger brother signed a five-year, $17.5 million free agent deal in March after five seasons with the Detroit Lions.

"Playing together is definitely something we talked about and wished would happen someday in the NFL, because we were always close growing up," eight-time Pro Bowl cornerback Champ Bailey says.

The Baileys, who hail from the small Georgia town of Folkston, followed in the football path of older brother Ron, the first of the three to play at the University of Georgia.

Now that Champ and Boss will line up together on the left side of a revamped defense, with Champ at cornerback and Boss at strong-side linebacker, Champ is energized by several under-the-radar changes he hopes will help him realize his remaining goals.

"I would love to win that defensive player of the year award, but those awards only mean so much if you don't have a ring," he says. "The Super Bowl, that's my goal.

"I want to get that ring. That would definitely put a stamp on my career."

To emerge as this season's AFC surprise team, the Broncos must rebound from a 7-9 disappointment and return to the playoffs for the first time since losing the AFC Championship Game to the Pittsburgh Steelers in January 2006.

"We hope people are sleeping on us, and we want to surprise because we have a lot of talent on this football team," Champ Bailey says. "We don't talk about it much. But we know what we're capable of."

The Broncos were a 53-man band of brothers not long ago. But not last season when the defense under departed defensive coordinator Jim Bates was a disaster.

"We had a lot of second-guessing," Champ Bailey says.

What a rocky offseason it's been:

•Receiver Javon Walker complained about his role and was released, landing with the Oakland Raiders, bitter AFC West rivals.

• Running back Travis Henry was cut loose after coach Mike Shanahan questioned his commitment to the team. Denver will now bank on Selvin Young to shoulder the ground game.

•Jason Elam, who kicked the Broncos to more than half their wins with four game-winning field goals, signed with the Atlanta Falcons after 15 seasons in Denver.

•Rising receiving star Brandon Marshall sliced an artery, vein, nerve and tendons in his right forearm while wrestling with his brother during a Florida vacation.

"He's lucky he didn't die," Shanahan says.

The Broncos will be lucky if Marshall is ready for training camp. He emerged as quarterback Jay Cutler's favorite target in his second season, catching 102 passes, and his presence is even more vital in the wake of Walker's departure.

Elsewhere, assistant head coach Mike Heimerdinger left with Shanahan's blessing to replace fired Norm Chow as the Tennessee Titans offensive coordinator. Shanahan demoted Bates, who stepped away.

Bates' 30th-ranked run defense was a sieve that caused the Broncos to hemorrhage 409 points, fifth most in the league, making its upgrade an offseason priority.

"We've improved up front," Champ Bailey says.

Then Cutler was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes six weeks ago.

That Cutler completed 63.6% of his passes, throwing for 20 touchdowns and 3,497 yards, is more remarkable considering how he lost significant arm strength and 35 pounds from his 6-3, 238-pound frame.

"I can't imagine how he played all 16 games," says his doctor, Michael McDermott, director of endocrinology and diabetes at University of Colorado Hospital. "Jay's handled his diagnosis very courageously and very publicly.

"I've never had anyone so positive. … I've already had several people call and say, 'Jay Cutler has inspired me to get my diabetes under control.' "

A healthy Cutler is key to Denver's hopes in 2008.

"I can't imagine he didn't have significant blurred vision last season," McDermott says. "He should have normal blood sugar, strength, clear vision and thinking.

"With a year's more experience and having performed as well as he did with a very significant illness, I think he's going to perform very well."

Cutler now wears a wireless, iPod-sized insulin pump that regulates his blood sugar. The plan will change when the games start; he can't risk having the pump dislodge from a hit.

"Jay seems pretty calm about things, but he is an NFL quarterback, and I can't imagine he wouldn't get up on the day of a game," McDermott says. "That excitement could increase his glucose level.

"We'll probably give him an injection of insulin before games.

"We'll have to monitor it and see how much he needs to eat during games and at halftime check how well he's done."

Cutler will have help.

Shanahan drafted left tackle Ryan Clady in the first round to further protect his quarterback. Middle linebacker Niko Koutouvides, defensive tackle Dewayne Robertson and safeties Marlon McCree and Marquand Manuel should boost a porous run defense.

Veteran receivers Keary Colbert, Samie Parker and Darrell Jackson were also imported.

The Broncos have much to prove in the AFC West, where the San Diego Chargers are favorites.

"You've got teams who surprise every year," Champ Bailey says. "People are going to think we're surprising because of how good we're going to be."

Lonestar
06-04-2008, 10:58 AM
I like the optimism of Champ and the writer.. I just do not think they can be that "surprise team" with all of the changes or youth on this team.. I hope I'm wrong.