PDA

View Full Version : Sophomore Spark

Denver Native (Carol)
06-21-2010, 11:45 AM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=10198

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. --Chris Baker was the only undrafted college free agent on the Broncos to make the active roster from training camp in 2009. One step above a practice squad player, Baker saw action in one game versus Pittsburgh in week eight. He felt more like a college freshman than an NFL professional.

"It was tough," Baker said. "I thought I played well enough in the preseason to play a lot more during the season, but you just take it and use it as a redshirt year. I learned a lot more than I would've been able to learn if I was out there playing as much."

During the 15 games he stood inactive on the sideline Baker held fast to his focus, taking mental reps at nose guard while teammates like Ronald Fields demonstrated how to go about your business in the fray of a typical snap at the line of scrimmage.

"I was just watching what the other guys did in front of me," Baker said. "Those were the only examples that I had of how to be a professional player, so I just watched the things that they did and tried to learn."

Baker would take the technique he observed from games and replicate it during the week. He stood still on game days, but in practice he could put his progress on display and get back to the physical fun of the sport.

"It's very enjoyable," Baker said. "You just have to take every day for what it's worth and keep working hard, and then hopefully it pays off and you'll be out there playing."

The red shirt's off in Bakers second year with the team. He hopes to build on the steps he took last season to be a better player, a player who can step in and contribute on Sundays.

"I just take it day by day and... show the coaches that I'm a hard worker, that they'll be able to trust me when the season comes so I can get on the field a lot more this year."

The arrival of two time All-Pro Jamal Williams gives Baker another role model with a playing style worth emulating. Baker hopes to rotate at Williams' position when the 34-year-old veteran needs a breather, but for now he's satisfied to study under one of the most accomplished defensive linemen of the decade.

"I kind of try to mirror everything that Jamal does," Baker said. "He's been a really good player in this league for awhile. He and (defensive line) coach (Wayne) Nunnely have been together for awhile, so he's like coach's poster child. You're just trying to follow him and have a good career too."

Even in minicamp and OTAs Baker sees why Nunnely, who coached Williams in San Diego for the first 10 years of Williams' career, points to Williams as his prized pupil.

"He's a hard worker is what it is," Baker said. "As soon as he steps on the field it's all business. Even in the meeting rooms he's taking notes. He's very attentive during film studies. He's a good student of the game."

Baker said he still needs to work on his film study and technique, but he can't wait for a chance to shine in training camp.

"I'm just looking forward to putting the pads on and showing the coaches that I can stop the run, rush the passer, and do everything I can do so I can play," he said.

Dirk
06-21-2010, 11:57 AM
Love the attitude! :salute:

LTC Pain
06-21-2010, 01:44 PM
Hope Chris gets more playing time this season. I never understood how a guy could have such a good training camp and not get playing time?

broncofaninfla
06-21-2010, 03:08 PM
Sounds like a good situation for Baker being able to learn from Williams. Also sounds like he is focused to apply that knowledge with the size and skill set God gave him. I wouldn't be surprised to see Fields as the odd man out this season.

gobroncsnv
06-21-2010, 05:44 PM
Improvements at NG are the most important thing you can do in a 3-4. Keep forcing the action one way or the other, but stand like tree trunks front and center. The more they have to run around you, the less north-south yardage they make... really hope this kid gets it going this year. Thanks, Carol, as always.

Lonestar
06-21-2010, 08:46 PM
Yep he has the size to be a great one.

I was concerned about the Penn State thingy and not playing against top notch OL's at Hampton. That it would cost him getting playing time.

I hope he can keep His nose clean and has learned a lesson from when he was at PSU

We need him in the middle more this coming year or it is time to trade up to get a qualitity NT in the draft to take JW place after his contract is done. Let's hope they passed on NT in this past draft beecause what they saw in him.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums