PDA

View Full Version : Dawkins isn't just a father, he's a dad

Denver Native (Carol)
06-20-2010, 08:31 PM
http://www.gazette.com/sports/dad-100524-dawkins-englewood.html

ENGLEWOOD • Most of the time Denver Broncos fans see safety Brian Dawkins he is channeling his inner child, getting excited to play the game he loves. The “X-Men” action figures in his locker reinforce the point.

Away from the NFL spotlight, Dawkins spends plenty of time doting on his children. He speaks proudly about his role as a father and husband when asked, and in 2008 was named “Father of the Year” by the American Diabetes Association. So it isn’t surprising that he was included among the 70 current and former players in the book “NFL Dads Dedicated to Daughters.”

The book features stories of NFL fathers and their daughters, and the desire to prevent domestic violence, an issue Dawkins takes seriously.

“I think what it does is truly shows not just a softer side of NFL players, but we are normal everyday dads,” Dawkins said. “Obviously we have to be away from our families a little more, but we have little girls and we love them to death, and we don’t want anything to happen to them. It shows another part of these so-called gladiators.”

Dawkins has four children. His oldest is his 13-year-old son, Brian Jr., who was followed by 10-year-old daughter Brionni, and twin girls Chonni and Cionni, who are 3. Dawkins is one of the most intense players in the NFL, a wild man on the field. His children help him come back to reality after games.

“One of the best things is after a game, win, lose or draw I’m Daddy,” Dawkins said. “When I come out of the tunnel, win the game or lose the game, the twins are coming up to me ‘Daddy, Daddy!’ My son — he gives me a dap now, a (fist) pound, he’s cool now — and my oldest daughter comes up ‘Dad, Dad.’ It’s unconditional love no matter what Daddy does on the football field.”

Dawkins is a role model for some of his teammates. He said while he doesn’t impose his views, he is open for questions. He said one of the common topics younger guys want to talk about is fatherhood. Dawkins said he hopes through his successes and failures he is able to guide them.

He hopes the book sends a positive message. The stories the players tell in the book are unique, but with a similar theme: Their daughters are hugely important in their lives, and they want to let others know that treating women with respect is a sign of strength.

“I felt that I had to be a part of this book because getting players involved can really have an effect and help people,” former Broncos linebacker Andra Davis wrote in the book. “Kids idolize us. So we can show them that it’s cool to respect women, other people, and themselves.”

In Dawkins’ part of the book, he says when a man encounters a woman, he should think about the women in his life — his mother, sisters, maybe a favorite aunt.

“How do you think about them? Apply that to that woman you see walking down the street,” Dawkins said. “I’m not saying you’re not going to find attractive people, but as far as hitting, cursing, putting them down — you wouldn’t do your mom like that. You would not. I want guys to respect God’s gift to us as men, to respect women.”

Dawkins said he hopes his three daughters grow up to be strong individuals and end up with someone who treats them as well as he does. Dawkins said fatherhood has changed his outlook.

“It puts a different spin on life, period,” Dawkins said. “It’s hard to explain how you can love somebody so much. You love everybody, but there’s a different love you have for your child. It’s a blessing to be a father, to raise little ones up to hopefully be successful individuals.”

dogfish
06-20-2010, 09:19 PM
Dawkins isn't just a father, he's a dad

and he still finds time to be an ultimate badass-- what a guy!

if chuck norris was a football player, he'd be brian dawkins. . . .

girler
06-20-2010, 10:12 PM
and he still finds time to be an ultimate badass-- what a guy!

if chuck norris was a football player, he'd be brian dawkins. . . .

I wonder if I could get Dawkins to knock some sense into one of my kids... :confused:

T.K.O.
06-21-2010, 10:36 AM
i think the addition of dawkins last year had as much to do with the defensive improvement than any other factor.
the guy just plays with tremendous heart.i just hope enough of his will to win and work ethic has rubbed off on the younger guys to make an even bigger difference this year !
and then i hope he stays around long enough to win a couple superbowls with denver.so it will at least be really hard for him to decide which uni he wants in canton !:salute:

broncofaninfla
06-21-2010, 11:38 AM
Good read, thanks Carol!

EastCoastBronco
06-21-2010, 12:09 PM
Always good to read about the "Good Guys" in the NFL. The press, for the most part, tends to focus on all of the idiots that play the game. The Pac Mans and the Roethlisbergers and the TO's...

If our front office doesn't smarten the hell up we are going to lose another one that's just as "good" in Dumerville.

Get it done, Pat...

T.K.O.
06-21-2010, 12:50 PM
doomearvile:shocked: