PDA

View Full Version : The Official Fishing Thread

gnomeflinger
06-20-2010, 07:49 PM
Don't see any other threads out there about fishing. So let's talk fishing.

(I'm not sure this is considered "sport," but had to put it somewhere)

broncogirl7
06-20-2010, 08:49 PM
I love fishing! I am not great, but it's the most relaxing and exciting hobby I've got.
Haven't been out this year yet, but plan on sneaking away with my son real soon. He and I enjoy our quiet time together. I have the record catches, so he'll be out to one-up me this year.

SR
06-21-2010, 07:36 AM
I haven't been fishing at all since I moved to SD...mostly because of how much I miss bass fishing. And there is a fishing thread here somewhere.

broncogirl7
06-21-2010, 11:24 AM
Gnomey change the name to Gnomey's fishing thread. SR is right about there being another one somewhere...I couldn't find it either.
It would be fun to have one from a girl's perspective though.
I could use some helpful hints...
What are best times to stream fish?
What the best bait to use on various types of fish?
What's worked better for you?
I use worms, but last year we had lots of nibbles but not alot of catches (except my big one of course)...
What's the best time you've found to fish?
Is is possible to catch fish midday and would you use different bait to catch bass or catfish midday then morning or evening?

SR
06-21-2010, 11:47 AM
If you don't have a boat and you're shore fishing, the best time to fish for largemouth bass is in the morning from April-June when they're spawning. There are a lot of variables though, like water temperature, outside temperature, water color, etc. If I'm fishing from the shore for largemouth bass, I'll usually get there before sun up and fish until about 10-11am. Once the sun starts to get high, they'll move to deeper, cooler waters. I like to start out with topwater lures, then as it starts to warm up I'll switch to a shallow water crank bait or if I'm fishing cover I'll switch to a spinner bait or Texas rig some worms (I like Culprit 7" worms or sometimes I'll use a 6" finesse worm). Occasionally I'll use a tube or jig, but not often. Having a boat changes everything though. If you wanna know about bass fishing, largemouth in particular, ask all you want.

gnomeflinger
06-21-2010, 12:52 PM
I looked for the fishing thread but couldn't find one. Otherwise I would have posted in that.

I can't change the title. I don't have that power.

My 10 year old out-fishes my husband every time they go. He put random bait on his line, and the fish line up to get it. He pulled in 3 trout by doing that.

Bananas have been bad luck. Don't bring bananas on the boat.

Most of the lakes here are stocked with trout. Salmon fishing is in the Columbia River.

A popular bait amongst the bass is a "wedding ring" set up. They also like marshmallows.

underrated29
06-21-2010, 01:19 PM
Depends what you are fishing for and how and a what type of water etc...

I like fishing in lakes. SR is right. The time of day really matters... early in the morning like 6-630 and evening like 6-730- fish esp trout really start biting. They water is not too hot on the surface and the fish like to jump and eat the bugs that come out during those times.

I use lures doing those peak hours, hunting hours. IF its mid day and the fish are deep like SR said for the cool waters, then I go with the rainbow power bait, if not worms, salmon eggs etc are fine.....If you have crawdads, use their meat!!!!!

Trout looooove crawdad meat. Use a tail, like a lobster tail or claw-my goodness do they eat that up. I want to take my son fishing, he has never been yet.

SR
06-21-2010, 07:40 PM
I don't know shit about trout fishing, or anything other than bass. I don't use live bait for bass though. Some people like to use shad or small perch, but I won't. I'd rather not have to deal with throwing out a cast net, etc, because if you catch shad with it, chances are you scared the bass away from the school of shad when you threw the cast net in. I'd rather find where the shad are, throw on a good crank bait or jerk bait, and go to town.

Flatinum
06-21-2010, 09:12 PM
http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12827

SR
06-21-2010, 10:12 PM
Damn...that thread hasn't been posted in for a long time.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-21-2010, 10:18 PM
Picture on link

http://www.kdvr.com/news/kdvr-big-fish-caught-txt,0,4647391.story

ANCHORAGE, Alaska, - A Colorado man fishing off coast of the Kenai Peninsula in Alaska hauled in a 337-pound halibut. It's easily the biggest catch in Alaska this season.

Aaron Buscher, 34, of Conifer, Colo., caught the 7-foot, 4-inch halibut late Monday morning in Resurrection Bay while competing in a fishing derby.

"At first, I wasn't sure if I had a big one or not, but after about 5 minutes I realized that I had an unbelievable fish and I started what would be the catch of a lifetime!" Buscher said.

It was Buscher's first trip to Alaska. The experts there say he now has an insurmountable lead for the $10,000 top prize in the Seward Halibut Derby which runs June 1 to June 30.

It took him 45 minutes to haul the big fish to dock in Seward. He had been fishing south of Alaska's Montague Island.

"It was bigger than anything I've ever dreamed of," Buscher told the Anchorage Daily News. "I didn't even know they got that big. Everybody was floored when that thing hit the surface. It was like a submarine coming up."

It took four big men to get the giant fish on board the boat, called the Crackerjack. Capt. Andy Mezirow said, "Everybody was very boisterous and ecstatic. Aaron hugged the fish as soon as he got it in the boat. You know, there are really not many halibut in the ocean that big, and it's nice when a fisherman realizes it's a once-in-a-lifetime fish."

Most of the fish, which Buscher calls the "Sea Monster", is now cut up in his Conifer freezer. "We've had halibut fillet in the freezer and always at the store to eat, but now I have halibut for years," he said.

Buscher said that it took eight boxes to bring all of the halibut home. He added that he was recognized at the airport as a celebrity fisherman of sorts.

In case you're wondering, Buscher used 50-pound test braided line and a Penn Torque 10 reel mounted to a 7-foot Penn Torque rod.

Nomad
06-22-2010, 11:53 AM
I plan on doing lots of fishing during my 4 yrs in Alaska....I'm excited to get there in March!!

I like white perch fishing, bass, bream, catfish, and just catching garfish for the hell of it, but I haven't been fishing down South in over a decade. But the best fishing for me is saltwater fishing for specks and reds plus when you saltwater fish you never know what will be on the end of the line!

ND fishing is pretty boring!!

shank
06-22-2010, 12:43 PM
i used to fly fish all the time, but i've been on hiatus. i need to get back into that, it was always very relaxing and a lot of fun.

SR
06-22-2010, 02:22 PM
I plan on doing lots of fishing during my 4 yrs in Alaska....I'm excited to get there in March!!

I like white perch fishing, bass, bream, catfish, and just catching garfish for the hell of it, but I haven't been fishing down South in over a decade. But the best fishing for me is saltwater fishing for specks and reds plus when you saltwater fish you never know what will be on the end of the line!

ND fishing is pretty boring!!

Once you get to Alaska you'll get to fish for SALMON.

Skinny
06-23-2010, 01:14 PM
Got a saltwater fishing trip set up next month while on vacation at a little inlet called Shem Creek right around Charleston/Mt. Pleasant. REALLY looking forward too it, July can't get here soon enough.

gnomeflinger
06-23-2010, 02:40 PM
You're going to live on base, NOMAD? I lived in Alaska from Oct 1999 to July 2001. The longest 18 months of my life. With one car, two babies, and a spouse who worked up to 70 hours a week, I didn't get to get out much. So, I didn't like it up there at all.

My husband got to get out and experience Alaska. He had a friend who had a plane, and he was invited out one day to go salmon fishing off Homer.

Nomad
06-23-2010, 04:01 PM
Once you get to Alaska you'll get to fish for SALMON.

Yeah, I'm excited! Getting pointers from everyone who has been there:lol:! But I want to do some halibut fishing!

I take that back about not fishing down South in over a decade, I spaced the time my wife went to the NCO Academy in Bioloxi, MS a few yrs ago. We went down with her and stayed with family in La but the last week of the Academy we stayed at Kessler and I took the kids fishing at the Marina on base. We caught crokers and specks and saltwater catfish and went crabbing while in La!

SR
06-23-2010, 04:14 PM
My brother in law has a boat and lives in Houston, so I think whenever we manage to get down there I wanna try deep sea fishing. My wife is probably gonna deploy in the next few months and I'll be going again in January, so it may be a while before I get down there.

Nomad
06-23-2010, 04:41 PM
You're going to live on base, NOMAD? I lived in Alaska from Oct 1999 to July 2001. The longest 18 months of my life. With one car, two babies, and a spouse who worked up to 70 hours a week, I didn't get to get out much. So, I didn't like it up there at all.

My husband got to get out and experience Alaska. He had a friend who had a plane, and he was invited out one day to go salmon fishing off Homer.

Sorry I didn't see your post! We're deciding between base or Eagle River!! Most people are telling us Eagle River plus my sons will be in high school there and a few people I talked to say ERHS is better than Bartlett High School. Then after AK, we'll be moving back to Wa State probably around the Woodinville area!

But as far as the fishing there, our friends say it's crazy there during the salmon run even to the point where there are fist fights:shocked:

gnomeflinger
06-23-2010, 05:06 PM
Sorry I didn't see your post! We're deciding between base or Eagle River!! Most people are telling us Eagle River plus my sons will be in high school there and a few people I talked to say ERHS is better than Bartlett High School. Then after AK, we'll be moving back to Wa State probably around the Woodinville area!

But as far as the fishing there, our friends say it's crazy there during the salmon run even to the point where there are fist fights:shocked:

Depending on where and when you go, you might have to compete with the bears. They will come up to your boat, and swipe your fish from you. On my husband's trip, he took pictures of the bears. He didn't even need to zoom in. :shocked:

Eagle River is gorgeous. We lived on the south end, the Dimond neighborhood.

From what I remember, yeah, don't move by the base, if you're not going to live on base. The north end is more spotty in quality of living than the south or west end of the city. But you can't go wrong with Eagle River. :salute: