PDA

View Full Version : Playstation 3 questions

BOSSHOGG30
06-03-2008, 12:59 PM
I noticed there are a few choices to go with when purchasing a playstation 3... Is there really a big difference in the 40GB, 60GB, and 80GB versions, except price?

Is it really worth the extra money to get the higher GB's?

NightTrainLayne
06-03-2008, 01:01 PM
I noticed there are a few choices to go with when purchasing a playstation 3... Is there really a big difference in the 40GB, 60GB, and 80GB versions, except price?

Is it really worth the extra money to get the higher GB's?

I think that they did away with the 60GB option. If not, it still wouldn't be a great idea.

The 80GB includes the software/harware to make it backwards compatable with PS2, so if you had a bunch of PS2 games it would be helpful.

Otherwise, it's just got double the memory. I have the 40GB version. Since you can use USB memory drives with it, and I didn't have a PS2, I saved the money and got the 40GB.

BOSSHOGG30
06-03-2008, 01:02 PM
I think that they did away with the 60GB option. If not, it still wouldn't be a great idea.

The 80GB includes the software/harware to make it backwards compatable with PS2, so if you had a bunch of PS2 games it would be helpful.

Otherwise, it's just got double the memory. I have the 40GB version. Since you can use USB memory drives with it, and I didn't have a PS2, I saved the money and got the 40GB.

So if you don't have a playstion 2 or playstation 2 games, the 80GB isn't really worth the investment?

Reidman
06-03-2008, 01:02 PM
Not sure if 40GB is still available but the others are for sure. Besides the obvious size difference, one plays olds PS1 games and the other plays PS2 games only, but neither play both formats, stupid and I'm not sure why but that's how it is...

Also, the 80 is about $100 more than the 60 so I personally went with the 60GB since that's plenty of space for me...

EDIT: oops NTL is right it was the 60 they did away with...so I have a 40GB

BOSSHOGG30
06-03-2008, 01:03 PM
Do they all play blue ray dvd's?

NightTrainLayne
06-03-2008, 01:03 PM
So if you don't have a playstion 2 or playstation 2 games, the 80GB isn't really worth the investment?

It wasn't to me, but someone else might have a different opinion.

NightTrainLayne
06-03-2008, 01:04 PM
Do they all play blue ray dvd's?

Yes.

MasterShake
06-03-2008, 02:48 PM
It also depends on how many games you plan on getting. Newer games like Devil May Cry 4 have a harddrive install feature that can take like 2 gigs of memory (which gives the game little or no load times while playing), so take that into consideration.

BOSSHOGG30
06-04-2008, 09:13 AM
Ok, I went to Walmart yesterday and bought me a Playstation 3... gotta see what the hype is all about. Walmart had some deal where you get a $100 gift card with the purchase of the playstation so that was pretty cool.

claymore
06-04-2008, 09:18 AM
Ok, I went to Walmart yesterday and bought me a Playstation 3... gotta see what the hype is all about. Walmart had some deal where you get a $100 gift card with the purchase of the playstation so that was pretty cool.SOB, I bought mine 2 weeks ago. I should take it back and take advantage!

What games did you get Boss?

BOSSHOGG30
06-04-2008, 09:22 AM
SOB, I bought mine 2 weeks ago. I should take it back and take advantage!

What games did you get Boss?

I only bought one game and it was a baseball game... I'm going back today and getting that Call of Duty 4 game everyone seems to like so much. I'm holding out on Madden and NCAA football till the new ones come out, which should be soon.

claymore
06-04-2008, 09:26 AM
I only bought one game and it was a baseball game... I'm going back today and getting that Call of Duty 4 game everyone seems to like so much. I'm holding out on Madden and NCAA football till the new ones come out, which should be soon.Sweet....... Online play is unbelievable. Maybe my favorite game ever.

NightTrainLayne
06-04-2008, 09:33 AM
I only bought one game and it was a baseball game... I'm going back today and getting that Call of Duty 4 game everyone seems to like so much. I'm holding out on Madden and NCAA football till the new ones come out, which should be soon.

Get warhawk too if you can. I like it better than COD4 myself, but they're both fun.

BOSSHOGG30
06-04-2008, 09:36 AM
Sweet....... Online play is unbelievable. Maybe my favorite game ever.

Which one? Call of Duty 4?

BOSSHOGG30
06-04-2008, 09:37 AM
Get warhawk too if you can. I like it better than COD4 myself, but they're both fun.

I will check it out...thanks NTL. I'm more of the sport game type, but it is hard to pass up on all the excitement with this COD4

NightTrainLayne
06-04-2008, 09:41 AM
I will check it out...thanks NTL. I'm more of the sport game type, but it is hard to pass up on all the excitement with this COD4

Me too, give me a good football/baseball heck even basketball simulation and I'll play it for hours, but I am totally hooked on Warhawk.

claymore
06-04-2008, 09:41 AM
Which one? Call of Duty 4?
Yes. I got sick of friends at work talking about it. Had to get it and its awesome.

I will check it out...thanks NTL. I'm more of the sport game type, but it is hard to pass up on all the excitement with this COD4NTL and Bennetto said you can download Warhawk and its like $20 bucks cheeper so check into that.

NightTrainLayne
06-04-2008, 09:44 AM
NTL and Bennetto said you can download Warhawk and its like $20 bucks cheeper so check into that.

Right, if you already have a headset/earpiece deal then just download it and it's quite a bit cheaper.

If not, buy Warhawk in-store and it comes with the earpiece which you can use for any other game as well.

claymore
06-04-2008, 09:49 AM
Right, if you already have a headset/earpiece deal then just download it and it's quite a bit cheaper.

If not, buy Warhawk in-store and it comes with the earpiece which you can use for any other game as well.The headset that I got sucks..... I feel the majority of players out there suffer from this as well. Is there a known good model NTL?

NightTrainLayne
06-04-2008, 10:01 AM
The headset that I got sucks..... I feel the majority of players out there suffer from this as well. Is there a known good model NTL?

You're asking the wrong guy. I think mine works well, but it's the only one I've ever used. It's a motorola, about $50 when I bought it.

However, sometimes I apparently don't have a good enough connection online within the game to communicate. Everything is garbled sometimes, but I believe that this is due to my internet connection more than the headseat.

I have cox cable, and internet through them. They have three levels for their internet service. Basic, intermediate, and Deluxe (those aren't the real names).

I use the intermediate service and thought that it should be sufficient, but what does everyone else use? Should I upgrade, or is the garbled voices just something that everyone deals with. Other aspects of game-play don't appear to be affected.

claymore
06-04-2008, 10:04 AM
You're asking the wrong guy. I think mine works well, but it's the only one I've ever used. It's a motorola, about $50 when I bought it.

However, sometimes I apparently don't have a good enough connection online within the game to communicate. Everything is garbled sometimes, but I believe that this is due to my internet connection more than the headseat.

I have cox cable, and internet through them. They have three levels for their internet service. Basic, intermediate, and Deluxe (those aren't the real names).

I use the intermediate service and thought that it should be sufficient, but what does everyone else use? Should I upgrade, or is the garbled voices just something that everyone deals with. Other aspects of game-play don't appear to be affected.
It could be Sony's servers to. Man they have to have allot of bandwidth to run that stuff. Also, If you notice it at certain times of the week/day, most likely its them not you. IMO.

BOSSHOGG30
06-04-2008, 10:12 AM
If you have wireless Internet will the Playstation 3 pick it up or do you have to buy something to hook up to it to pick up the wireless internet?

claymore
06-04-2008, 10:16 AM
If you have wireless Internet will the Playstation 3 pick it up or do you have to buy something to hook up to it to pick up the wireless internet?It goes right true that. You need to know your Wep key and VSID to join. Takes 5 minutes to setup. If I was you, I would print out the settings on your wireless router before hand.

EastCoastBronco
06-05-2008, 06:48 AM

Pick up Army of Two as well HOGG. If you have a buddy that you like to game online with it's a real hoot. My cousin and I play every Tuesday and Friday night. We also play Rainbow Six Vegas (1 and 2). I haven't played COD4 yet because I've heard it doesn't have co-op missions. I get tired really fast of Capture the Flag and Deathmatch stuff...

Reidman
06-05-2008, 09:34 AM
The headset that I got sucks..... I feel the majority of players out there suffer from this as well. Is there a known good model NTL?

What do you have?? I have the Plantronics 510 and it works pretty good. You could spend upwards of 80$ and get a dedicated unit for game play in stereo but my phone piece works just fine...The garbled transmissions I think are from background noise off people's TV's that you hear. A noise-canceling mic helps discourage this...

claymore
06-05-2008, 09:41 AM
What do you have?? I have the Plantronics 510 and it works pretty good. You could spend upwards of 80$ and get a dedicated unit for game play in stereo but my phone piece works just fine...The garbled transmissions I think are from background noise off people's TV's that you hear. A noise-canceling mic helps discourage this...I just bought the 20 dollar deal that was next to it at Best Buy. I need to mess with the volume/Mic settings. The one thing that sucks, is there is no sound test thing to use. If you adjust it, you have to go into the game.

Right now, I bought some mildly nice headphones, and just listen. I have the chat feature disabled.

Are you in a clan Reid?

Arkansas Bronco
06-05-2008, 12:13 PM
The one I have is a Jabra model that came with Warhawk. Best buy had the same exact one for 40 bucks so I said hell thats like getting a PS3 game for 10 more dollars.

Benetto
06-05-2008, 12:29 PM
Dude...ABronco..Why haven't you posted in the Broncos Brigade thread? Its a clan we're trying to form on Warhawk.

Whats your gamer tag, Ill send you an invite if you're game.

NightTrainLayne
06-05-2008, 12:35 PM
Dude...ABronco..Why haven't you posted in the Broncos Brigade thread? Its a clan we're trying to form on Warhawk.

Quick question Benetto.

I joined another clan a month or so ago for Warhawk and when I went to accept the Broncos Brigade invite it said I had to stop the other one.

If I do that, will it still be there to pick up again, or does it disappear? I'm just curious if I'll have to ask them for another invite down the road to play with them again. I.E. can I just switch back and forth?

I got on last night and you were playing, but as soon as I tried to join the game you logged off. Just missed you. However, jumped into a game mid-way and ended up being the high-scorer for the team without even playing the full game. That was pretty cool.

BOSSHOGG30
06-05-2008, 12:41 PM
I'm having problems getting connected to the internet.... did anyone have problems with an error screen coming up that says page cannot be displayed or Ethernet cable not connected?

NightTrainLayne
06-05-2008, 12:44 PM
I'm having problems getting connected to the internet.... did anyone have problems with an error screen coming up that says page cannot be displayed or Ethernet cable not connected?

You just mean actually viewing a web-page over the PS3?

No, I didn't have any trouble like that, but only did it once or twice to see how it worked. I don't have a blue-tooth keyboard, so navigating with the controller is not any fun.

Are you able to connect to the game-servers?

BOSSHOGG30
06-05-2008, 12:45 PM
You just mean actually viewing a web-page over the PS3?

No, I didn't have any trouble like that, but only did it once or twice to see how it worked. I don't have a blue-tooth keyboard, so navigating with the controller is not any fun.

Are you able to connect to the game-servers?

not sure... I go to www. thing in the PS3 screen and click X and the error message screen comes up. Am I in the wrong screen to connect?

NightTrainLayne
06-05-2008, 12:47 PM
not sure... I go to www. thing in the PS3 screen and click X and the error message screen comes up. Am I in the wrong screen to connect?

Start a game and see if you can access the online play for whatever game it is.

Of course, if you're getting an error for the web-page you'll probably get one for the game too.

Were you able to sign-in first before you tried to access the internet?

BOSSHOGG30
06-05-2008, 12:50 PM
Start a game and see if you can access the online play for whatever game it is.

Of course, if you're getting an error for the web-page you'll probably get one for the game too.

Were you able to sign-in first before you tried to access the internet?

Yeah, I made an account and set the time and stuff on the system. I also had to download some type of update when I put in my baseball game to try to play it. It took like 2-5 minutes and then the game was up and running.

NightTrainLayne
06-05-2008, 12:53 PM
Yeah, I made an account and set the time and stuff on the system. I also had to download some type of update when I put in my baseball game to try to play it. It took like 2-5 minutes and then the game was up and running.

Strange, I don't know what to tell you then. You might just have to contact Sony and see what they suggest.

The important thing is you can play the games!

What's youre gamertag?

BOSSHOGG30
06-05-2008, 12:55 PM
Strange, I don't know what to tell you then. You might just have to contact Sony and see what they suggest.

The important thing is you can play the games!

What's youre gamertag?

lol, I'm clueless... I made my name Bosshogg30 for my system... is this my gamer tag too?

claymore
06-05-2008, 01:01 PM
lol, I'm clueless... I made my name Bosshogg30 for my system... is this my gamer tag too?The gamer tag is different for all games I believe. Bosshogg30 is just to conect to the Sony Network.

So you can or cannot play games online?

BOSSHOGG30
06-05-2008, 01:11 PM
The gamer tag is different for all games I believe. Bosshogg30 is just to conect to the Sony Network.

So you can or cannot play games online?

I didn't try to play my game online yet, I went to the www. screen on the system and it came up with an error message saying page can not be displayed. I don't think my system is recongnizing my wireless internet. I also went to the test internet connection screen and it comes up with the message that ethernet cable is not plugged in or something like that.

NightTrainLayne
06-05-2008, 01:25 PM
I didn't try to play my game online yet, I went to the www. screen on the system and it came up with an error message saying page can not be displayed. I don't think my system is recongnizing my wireless internet. I also went to the test internet connection screen and it comes up with the message that ethernet cable is not plugged in or something like that.

There are two different sets of directions for connecting to your broadband connection.

One for ethernet, and one for wireless. Make sure in the set-up area to go through the wireless set-up.

You'll have to pick out your router after the PS3 searches for it, and then enter the encryption key (if it's secure), and then connect.

There's several steps, but it walks you through them pretty well.

BroncoJoe
06-05-2008, 01:29 PM
There are two different sets of directions for connecting to your broadband connection.

One for ethernet, and one for wireless. Make sure in the set-up area to go through the wireless set-up.

You'll have to pick out your router after the PS3 searches for it, and then enter the encryption key (if it's secure), and then connect.

Exactly. I don't have the PS3, but the Wii made me activate the wireless capability, otherwise it's standard mode is "off".

BOSSHOGG30
06-05-2008, 01:30 PM

I didn't see anything that lets me select wireless... I will have to look for it again.

NightTrainLayne
06-05-2008, 01:34 PM
I didn't see anything that lets me select wireless... I will have to look for it again.

I can't remember well enough to tell you where to look for it, but it's way over to the left in one of those menus from your start-up screen.

Pull out your direction manual and it will tell you how. There's a section on it.

Timmy!
06-05-2008, 06:46 PM
Boss, if everything is connected correctly, and you have the correct info entered, do this. Shut down the ps3 and remove its power source (unplug it). Then unplug the power to your wireless router. Keep both of those unplugged and reset (by pressing the reset button) or just unplug your modem. Wait about 30 seconds. Plug the modem back in 1st (if you had to unplug it, if you had a reset button just wait till all the lights come back on) wait about 20 seconds for the modem to get back online, then plug the router back in, give it about 20 seconds, then plug the PS3 back in and fire it up. That should take care of any IP related issue. I used to work at Comcast and had to do this over the phone 2-3 times every day :D

BOSSHOGG30
06-06-2008, 07:35 AM
I got connected last night guys... thanks I just had to go through everything with the owner manual... You know us guys... we don't need no stinking directions ;):D

claymore
06-06-2008, 07:37 AM
I got connected last night guys... thanks I just had to go through everything with the owner manual... You know us guys... we don't need no stinking directions ;):D
Did you play any online yet Boss? And whats your COD4 game tag?

Arkansas Bronco
06-06-2008, 07:38 AM

Ive played Warhawk maybe an hour since I got it. Im a COD4 guy still.

BOSSHOGG30
06-06-2008, 07:57 AM
Did you play any online yet Boss? And whats your COD4 game tag?

I didn't play online yet... I went to the movies last night and didn't have time. My Playstation Oline account name is Bronko30

Will this be the same when I play online with COD4?

I haven't even played COD4 yet... I imagine I will suck pretty bad right now.

claymore
06-06-2008, 08:11 AM
I didn't play online yet... I went to the movies last night and didn't have time. My Playstation Oline account name is Bronko30

Will this be the same when I play online with COD4?

I haven't even played COD4 yet... I imagine I will suck pretty bad right now.
Um.......... I think so. I will send you a friend request tonight, and if it resolves then yes. :D

You are going to love the game. I started a Clan tag for the peeps here called TD30.......

BOSSHOGG30
06-06-2008, 12:41 PM
I think I will play me some COD4 tonight and see what the big deal is....... I imagine it is very fun since you guys like it so much.

NightTrainLayne
06-06-2008, 12:45 PM
I think I will play me some COD4 tonight and see what the big deal is....... I imagine it is very fun since you guys like it so much.

What time Boss?

I might try to log on too, but we've got tix to take my little girl to the Barnum/Bailey circus so I won't be on until around 10:00 central if I do.

I haven't played it more than a couple hours yet, so I suck too.

BOSSHOGG30
06-06-2008, 12:57 PM
What time Boss?

I might try to log on too, but we've got tix to take my little girl to the Barnum/Bailey circus so I won't be on until around 10:00 central if I do.

I haven't played it more than a couple hours yet, so I suck too.

I promised the miss that we would watch The Onion Movie or something like that tonight... so it probably won't be till after that sometime... I would say 11:00 or 12:00 tonight to be safe......Eastern Standard Time of course.

NightTrainLayne
06-06-2008, 01:00 PM
I promised the miss that we would watch The Onion Movie or something like that tonight... so it probably won't be till after that sometime... I would say 11:00 or 12:00 tonight to be safe......Eastern Standard Time of course.

Time sounds right, I'll try to get on. . .if the wife doesn't plan on playing with my joystick if you know what I mean.

BigDaddyBronco
06-06-2008, 01:04 PM
Time sounds right, I'll try to get on. . .if the wife doesn't plan on playing with my joystick if you know what I mean.

So you might be going to a couple of circuses tonight. Enjoy. :D

NightTrainLayne
06-06-2008, 01:07 PM
So you might be going to a couple of circuses tonight. Enjoy. :D

It is becoming somewhat of a high-wire act to get her in the mood these days. :rolleyes:

BigDaddyBronco
06-06-2008, 01:09 PM
It is becoming somewhat of a high-wire act to get her in the mood these days. :rolleyes:

Sounds like the "golden years" of marriage.