PDA

View Full Version : Learning With the Stars

Denver Native (Carol)
06-18-2010, 08:50 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=10197

Denver -- In four years of hosting an annual football camp, Daniel Graham's goals haven't changed.

The ninth-year tight end still wants to give area youngsters a boost toward an active, well-rounded life.

But that doesn't mean the two-day camp has stayed the same.

Graham said that practice makes perfect.

"I've learned a lot," said Graham, who welcomed help from at least 11 of his Bronco teammates during Friday's workout. "You have to have a lot of patience dealing with kids, but it's a lot of fun. We really look forward to it every year."

The attendance figures would agree. On Friday, 125 campers took part in the fourth-annual Daniel Graham Foundation High School Elite Football Clinic at Lowry Sports Park. Graham expects more than 500 children to show up for Saturday's Youth Fundamental Football Clinic and nearly 100 more for the concurrent Double Dutch jump rope camp.

All three of those numbers represented increases from last year.

For Graham, who went to high school in Denver before attending college at Colorado, it's an opportunity to mobilize all his area contacts into a positive community event.

For the campers on Friday, it meant a chance to catch passes from Tim Tebow, receive pass-catching advice from Demaryius Thomas and learn blocking techniques from some of the squad's promising young lineman.

This year, Thomas, Tebow, Zane Beadles, Devin Bishop, Riar Geer, Jammie Kirlew, Dicky Lyons, Chris Marinelli, Tyler Polumbus, J.D. Walton, and Landis Williams joined in the fun.

"I just like working with kids and trying to help them out," said Thomas, who several times pulled players aside from receiving drills for one-on-one lessons. "I always appreciated when people helped me when I was a little kid, now I can do the same."

There were also plenty of Broncos alumni on hand to give tips, including Alfred Williams, Billy Thompson, Larry Brunson and Mark Jackson, in addition to Graham's father, Tom, a Broncos linebacker from 1972-1974.

It was an especially big day for Williams, who was asked by Graham to speak to the campers for the first time. After the campers heard speakers about the importance of education and nutrition, Williams detailed his first experience on the gridiron as a teenager in Texas.

In seventh grade, the local Pop Warner coach told the lanky Williams he was better suited playing his saxophone in the school band.

Ultimately, Williams played nine years in the NFL that included a Pro Bowl appearance and two Super Bowl titles with Denver, making for a story that clearly caught the campers' attention.

"I just want them to know things aren't always easy in life," Williams said before leading defensive line drills in which he taught the campers the difference between a high school and an NFL "swim move." "Things aren't always sweet. My message to all of them is 'Don't crumble under the pressure.'"

Many Broncos participants said they were struck by the campers' enthusiasm and willingness to learn.

And if Graham has anything to say about it, local youth will continue to get a yearly free chance to learn from the pros.

"It's getting bigger and better every year," Graham said. "This is hopefully something I can look forward to doing when I'm through playing football."

For a photo gallery from Friday's clinic, click here. (on link)

Denver Native (Carol)
06-18-2010, 09:03 PM
http://www.9news.com/video/default.aspx#/News/Diego+and+Tebow/49906872001/50183015001/97240713001

Chris Diego is a little boy who lost his leg a few months ago, when a school bus ran over it. He loves Tim Tebow, and his wish was to be able to meet him. Daniel Graham invited Chris to today's function, and Chris did get out of the hospital, so he was there today, but he had no idea that Tim would be there.