PDA

View Full Version : Get to Know: Mario Haggan

Denver Native (Carol)
06-17-2010, 03:38 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=10194

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Head Coach Josh McDaniels has said there will be differences between this year's defense and the 2009 version.

One of those is Mario Haggan. The eighth-year linebacker started all 16 games for the first time in his career last season, but he did it at outside linebacker. In 2010, Haggan is expected to move to the inside.

At 6-foot-3, 267 pounds, Haggan has the size to make the transition, and McDaniels said he has faith the veteran will take the challenge and "roll with it."

"Mario, who's a captain and had a really strong year last year, a very physical player, he can play Mike (middle linebacker) and he played Sam (strongside linebacker) last year," McDaniels said. "We feel good about Mario making that transition, and he's doing great there in terms of learning and being able to run the defense. That puts Mario at Mike and now we have a pretty solid group there in terms of our four linebackers.

Haggan sat down with us for a Q&A session as the team finishes off the final few days of offseason conditioning.

You played outside linebacker for 16 games last season, but you practiced at inside linebacker during OTAs. How comfortable are you with the switch?
"I love the opportunity. That's where I've always wanted to play. Even though I felt like I was athletic enough and built so I could play outside linebacker, I feel like I'll be positive on the inside. I'm just trying to embrace the opportunity and trying to make some plays at it this year."

What is it like now playing beside D.J. Williams?
"He's a great player. He's been around six or seven years and he makes the plays in this league. I'm just trying to field my own niche. The fans, people love D.J. here, but I'm trying to make a mark for No. 57."

What was last season like for you, starting 16 games for the first time in your career?
"It was a great experience, starting all 16. It was a blessing being healthy for all 16 and being able to play with the guys I played with and help the defense improve. That's my goal this year, to try to complete the same thing, only to play past January this year."

Can you talk about the journey to that point? You were the first player in the NFL in 24 seasons to start all 16 games after playing at least 73 games without a start.
"It's a different thing. It's not something that happens all the time. Just to be a full-time starter after six years of not being a starter, it's definitely a blessing. I never thought that I wouldn't have been a starter, I always thought I could start in the NFL, it was just a matter of getting the right break and the right opportunity. The Lord blessed me and I found that opportunity here in Denver."

You were voted a captain by your teammates last season -- what did that honor mean to you?
"I was elected by my teammates. That's enough said. I think the guys electing me, that's something I put in a petition for, they saw the hard work I put in, the way I practice, the way I carry myself and they elected me as a teammate. I embraced that role. It was a moment that was cherished, and it was definitely an honor."

Have you continued that role in the offseason, helping new guys get accustomed to the team?
"I would think so. I've been in (strength and conditioning coach) Rich Tuten's program, I've been here every day that we've had to be here, I've been at every OTA practice, I've talked to some of the young guys and made all my workouts. I've done everything necessary to try to put myself in a great position again not only to lead this team but to be in a position to help this team win some games."

What's it like having your position coach from last season, Don 'Wink' Martindale, as the defensive coordinator?
"You know what, man, I've always said it time and time again about Wink, he had the confidence in me to put me at multiple positions to do a lot of things. He had the confidence in me last year when some other coaches from other teams didn't, and it paid off. And it's going to pay even bigger dividends for him and (Head Coach) Josh (McDaniels). Wink, he's fun. He's got this defense happy to play. We're walking around with some swagger, and I think we're going to see a lot of good things having him back there running things this year."

You tied for the team lead with three forced fumbles in addition to a sack, a pass breakup and a career-high in tackles in 2009. Do you pride yourself on getting to the ball and making plays?
"Definitely. If anybody goes back and checks my history from the time I was in high school to college and the pros, I pride myself on running. I pride myself on just trying to make the plays. So I definitely love when people tell me what I can't do and what I'm not going to do. I read blogs, I read everything -- 'Haggan's not supposed to be this, Haggan's not supposed to be that' -- I pride myself on proving all those wrong. I know what Haggan can do and I've got a bunch of teammates that help me and push me every day. I pride myself definitely on proving those critics wrong."

Do you carry that same attitude over to special teams?
"Definitely. Even when I was playing special teams, I took it as an opportunity to play football. Anytime that I'm blessed to run down the field, I try to play it with pride. That's something that I try to teach the younger guys -- special teams is just as big a play as it is on defense or offense. Even as a defensive starter, I still have a role in special teams. I'm starting on some and backing up on some. I started all six special teams (units) last year for a period during the season, so I take great pride in being able to play football. It's an honor to put on a helmet. Not a lot of guys get to do it, and I'm going to cherish it every day."

Do you want to stay involved on special teams this season?
"Definitely. Me and (special teams coordinator Mike) Priefer have got an understanding that I have a bigger role in the defense and I'll be there when he needs. A couple phases I'm starting on the special teams and we've got a couple younger guys that we're trying to groom and bring up to give me that breather. But once you start a root -- special teams is my root to get in the NFL until I got a chance to start -- I'll never give up on it. I'll always play it. It'll always be something that I love along with just playing football. I definitely want to be a part of special teams."

With the three new guys up front and everyone in the system for a year, are you excited for what the defense can do in 2010?
"I can't even tell you. When we signed those guys, Wink called me up and said, 'Yeah, who's the man, now? You like that beef up front?' I said, 'Wink, I love it, man, I love it.' Then later I found out I'll be moving to the inside. Having those type of guys, having the type of years and numbers they've put up and the type of teams they've played on can only help better my game, and I'm very excited. With a guy like Jamal (Williams), people say he's old, but I don't look at that. I look at what he can do for me on the field. I don't look at age. I've got a lot of faith in Justin Bannan and Jarvis Green along with some of the other guys that will be backing them up. I'm very excited for this defense as a whole."

The way the season ended, particularly the defense allowing those type of rushing yards, is the unit all the more motivated for this season?
"No doubt about it. I'm the man in the middle, the Mike linebacker. I'm the one that gets the team started. When I'm making plays, I feel the rest of the guys will feed off me. I'll have a lot to say about what the run defense is like, so I will definitely tell you we won't start the way we finished last year, and we won't finish the way we finished last year."

Bosco
06-18-2010, 02:41 AM
Always liked this guy.

Superchop 7
06-21-2010, 03:42 PM
But he can't play inside linebacker.

Bosco
06-21-2010, 11:26 PM
But he can't play inside linebacker.

I can't tell. Is this sarcasm?