PDA

View Full Version : Denver Broncos: Are They Contenders in '08?

claymore
06-02-2008, 07:55 AM
Denver Broncos: Are They Contenders in '08?

The Denver Broncos have been known over the past few years as contenders. They have been AFC champ's six times, twice a super bowl champ, and consistently have made the playoffs.

So why are they slipping now within the last two years since the 2005 AFC championship game against the Pittsburgh Steelers?

There are many reasons why this team is having a hard time. For one, they have been sustaining many injuries over the past two years, from Al Wilson, to Javon Walker, to the tragic death of a great cornerback Darrent Williams. This team has seen its share of unfortunate events.

But what has happened with the Denver Broncos and the mystic about this team? The feeling that every time you enter the Mile High Stadium no matter if you are the New England Patriots, or the Pittsburgh Steelers, you are destined to lose?

There can be many answers, but my simple one is too much change and too much youth. The Denver Broncos have one of the youngest offenses in the NFL and that will lead to some inconsistency sometimes.

But the great news is, and I mean great, is that the third year for a young player is his breakout year. Especially with Mike Shanahan. Under him, many players have thrived in their third year. Just look at the chart.

QBs IN THIRD SEASON UNDER MIKE SHANAHAN
Year Position Team QB (Yr.) Team Rec. Playoffs Notes

1982 Off. Coord. Florida Wayne Peace (3rd) 8-3 Bluebonnet Bowl (L) School-record 70.7 completion percentage

1986 Off. Coord. Denver John Elway (3rd) 11-5 Super Bowl XXI (L) First Pro Bowl selection, ninth in NFL in passing yards (3,485)

1991 Off. Coord. Denver John Elway (3rd) 12-4 AFC Championship Game (L) Pro Bowl, eighth in NFL in passing yards (3,253)

1994 Off. Coord. San Francisco Steve Young (3rd) 13-3 Super Bowl XXIX (W) NFL MVP, Super Bowl MVP, Pro Bowl, first in NFL in passer rating (112.8)

1997 Head Coach Denver John Elway (3rd) 12-4 Super Bowl XXXII (W) Pro Bowl, fourth in NFL in TD passes (career-high 27), sixth in NFL in passing yards (3,635)

2001 Head Coach Denver Brian Griese (3rd) 8-8 None Eighth in NFL in TD passes (career-high 23)

2005 Head Coach Denver Jake Plummer (3rd) 13-3 AFC Championship Game (L) Second in NFL in INT avoidance (1.5) and set club record with 229 consecutive passes without INT, seventh in NFL in passer rating (90.2), selected to Pro Bowl after injuries

Third-year won-loss record (seven seasons): 77-30 (.720)

So is this the year for Cutler? I along with many others say yes. He is already under the radar for what he can do. Now with his diabetes, people will even think more that he cannot perform. That couldn't be farther from the truth.

He has gotten his strength back and his weight back up. Also, do not forget about Brandon Marshall, as long as he can stay out of trouble he will be in the top five for receivers. I see an amazing year for Marshall this year. I am talking about 14 TD's and 1500 yds. receiving.

Do not listen to all the other media when they say that the Broncos will have a losing record this year and won't make the playoffs. Look at all the young talent they have that will only get better over time.

Here are some names for you that have proven themselves. Elvis Dumervile, Jarvis Moss, Jay Cutler, Brandon Marshall, Selvin Young, D.J Williams, Tony Scheffler. Also the rookies look to be coming along as well too. Ryan Clady and Eddie Royal should contribute immediately and should be a pleasure to watch.

The Broncos have the talent and the coach, they will soon catch up to the Chargers maybe this year or next. Look for the Denver Broncos to have an 11-5 or 10-6 record this year based on the schedule.

http://www.bleacherreport.com/articles/26535-Denver-Broncos-Are-They-Contenders-in-08--010608

Good article IMO ref third year QB's under Shanny. I only disagree with Jarvis Moss as a proven player. I like the guy........ But he aint there yet.

JoeF
06-02-2008, 09:24 AM
Claymore, way to mine a thrice-great reason to wish for a rising Bronco '08 team!

nj10
06-02-2008, 02:00 PM
Jarvis Moss proven himself? That's laughable.

Lonestar
06-02-2008, 02:12 PM
NO :salute:

Day1BroncoFan
06-02-2008, 06:26 PM
YES :salute:

weazel
06-02-2008, 06:36 PM
playoffs? playoffs?

http://www.sny.tv/images/2007/01/05/OmWsiiRt.jpg

TXBRONC
06-02-2008, 06:40 PM
Right now I'm not sure they will be, but if the defense and running game gel quickly I think we have chance to make the playoffs.

broncosfanscott
06-02-2008, 07:37 PM
NO :salute:

I would have to agree with ^ til we prove otherwise.

Run defense. Totally need run defense.

NameUsedBefore
06-02-2008, 07:44 PM
I think the Broncos have the talent to make the playoffs, however, I think they also have a pretty high probability of collapsing whether it be at the start, mid-point, final stretch wherever. Not enough depth, youth, etc. etc. The team just doesn't look as solid as it has in the past, but the talent is definitely there.

Lonestar
06-02-2008, 11:51 PM
I think the Broncos have the talent to make the playoffs, however, I think they also have a pretty high probability of collapsing whether it be at the start, mid-point, final stretch wherever. Not enough depth, youth, etc. etc. The team just doesn't look as solid as it has in the past, but the talent is definitely there.

If we do not have a rash of injuries like last year, overall the talent is indeed there but it is young, raw and mostly will not figure out where the urinals are until about bye week if we are not 1-6 by then the record could very well be good enough to slide into a play off spot..

Consistency is the key to winning something we have had Little of since Lepsis went down in 2006, that does not come naturally with youth..

I see 2009 as a break out year, playing what should be a 3 or 4th place schedule.. giving this team a lot of confidence to go with the talent..

IF we can keep some of the kids on the payroll the next 5-10 years this team should be pretty damned good..

BCJ
06-03-2008, 03:06 AM
I think we will compete and get to where we can be. That is 2nd place in the AFC WEST. I dont expect to pass up the Chargers and we better do two things. One is sweep the Chiefs and the Faiders and number two is to have a better record than last year. Realistic goals. Anything more than that is icing on the cake. I like icing.

Northman
06-03-2008, 03:12 AM
Anything can happen but right now i just want to see more improvement in the Redzone, better overall defense, and more creative playcalling. If we make the playoffs this year great but im expecting more of that next year. Right now i just want to see more improvement in all areas.

Ziggy
06-03-2008, 12:46 PM
Anything can happen but right now i just want to see more improvement in the Redzone, better overall defense, and more creative playcalling. If we make the playoffs this year great but im expecting more of that next year. Right now i just want to see more improvement in all areas.

More creative playcalling will only come if the offensive line improves. There's only so many passing plays you can call when your QB has a man in his face 2 seconds after the snap. If Clady is the real deal, you'll see the playbook opened up some. If the line struggles like they did last year, whoever is calling the plays will have thier hands tied again.

Cugel
06-04-2008, 11:56 AM
But what has happened with the Denver Broncos and the mystic about this team?

This sentence alone tells me that this is no journalist who wrote that piece. "Mystique", not "mystic."

underrated29
06-04-2008, 12:17 PM
seriously we could be, but we need that identity. Every aspect of our team is young and skilled. Like JR said- just raw.

If the young guys on defense can come up with an identity like our young guys on offense did. (jay,brandon,scheff, young.) Then we will be pretty good.

Dooms got the identity so does robertson, we need moss, thomas, crowder, boss, and niko to match what our offensive guys did.

Do i think they will all match it this year? no. I think niko and moss and crowder will. I still think thomas needs one more year to really put the hammer down... Boss should be fine, and unless niko plays lights out i think we draft a MLB 1st next year.... But as you can see we got almost all the pieces in place and we just need them to come together as a unit.

We have never really had a problem stopping the run. Besides last year, when were we not able to be a top 10, top 5 rush d? I cant remember. We get bates, and we got worse, we get rid of bates add some mroe talent to that side of the ball- maybe just maybe we get better then before bates.

call me the kool aid man, but the more i think about it. We will be top 9 defense and number 6 overall in run d. That right there will equate to atleast 3-5 more wins. and that my friends equals 10-12 wins inthe season and a PA spot for sure.

D1g1tal j1m
06-04-2008, 12:33 PM
The Broncos are a contender for a Playoff spot only if everything breaks their way. We have a slim margin for error on both sides of the ball and we are an injury away from it all collapsing like a house of cards in a stiff breeze.

Cutler must improve and manage his Diabetes (which is probably a certainty). BMarsh must comeback from his injury with no lingering effects (which is not so much a certainty). Clady must adapt quickly to the rigors of being a LT in the NFL otherwise Cutler will not be upright and moving our team down the field and Nalen and Hamilton have to show they can last the full season. Someone must emerge from the RB position and make it their own. RB by committee is to acknowledge you don't have one guy that the defense is scared of.
The D has plenty of concerns that everyone here is aware of. Can we put pressure on the QB, can we stop being a open tollway for opposing RB's, can the reshuffled LB corp gel and make the plays, etc, etc, etc.
I am cautiously optimistic that we will make the Playoffs and hope we can make a run like the Giants did and win it all. But one thing is for sure, it will make following the Broncos this year fun.

BOSSHOGG30
06-04-2008, 12:36 PM
It is the NFL and we are still in the salary cap era, so you never know. If we stay healthy and the young talent improves with experience we could have a very good team. I'm leaning more to 2009 or 2010, but I wouldn't be surprised if our team became a contender in 2008.

D1g1tal j1m
06-04-2008, 12:39 PM
And I forgot to mention the new kicker that will replace the HOFer Elam and the new punter and returner. Here's to hoping our ST don't give me an ulcer and cause Shan to want to crawl under a rock.

MHCBill
06-04-2008, 12:43 PM

tubby
06-04-2008, 01:34 PM
Of course.

:defense: :beer:

pilfin
06-04-2008, 05:27 PM
2009 for me too. Just arn't ready this year, and the teams in the AFC are stacked.

Npba900
06-04-2008, 06:13 PM
I won't sugar coat. The Broncos have a chance to go 5-11 or 8-8. Mainly b/c of the run defensive holes and the overall propensity of the front seven on Defense inconsistencies to give up big plays.

2009 Broncos should make the playoffs.

Broncospsycho77
06-04-2008, 10:20 PM
Unfortunately, I can't say. None of us can. The Broncos are in that position right now where they're just a wild card.
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:E4KVXXWNzyU9dM:http://upload.wikimedia.org

Things can go great, but things can also go disastrous.

tubby
06-04-2008, 10:57 PM
Oh I'm pretty sure there will be a postseason game this year featuring our Denver Broncos.

:salute:

Timmy!
06-04-2008, 11:42 PM
What Tubby said.

Lonestar
06-05-2008, 12:35 AM
Oh I'm pretty sure there will be a postseason game this year featuring our Denver Broncos.

:salute:

yep a few Broncos will make it to the probowl again..

WhatEver!!!
06-05-2008, 06:22 AM
It will be very difficult for the Broncos to make the playoffs this year because there are so many other very good teams out there. The only chance will be as a wildcard but with the likes of the Jaguars or even the Colts as a wildcard, Browns or Steelers -- I just do not see us making the post season this year. We will need to win at least 10 games to sniff the Playoffs