PDA

View Full Version : Walton could make history as rookie starting center

Spiritguy
06-16-2010, 02:43 PM
So what do you think? Will the Coach start a rookie center?

ENGLEWOOD – J.D. Walton not only has a challenge ahead of him, he’s trying to make history.

According to the Denver Broncos’ public relations staff, since the 1970 merger the Broncos have never had a rookie center start the first game of the season. Walton, a third-round pick, has an excellent chance to be the first. The Broncos have had just five rookie linemen start the season opener. Since 1992, the only rookie offensive lineman to start the Broncos’ opener is Ryan Clady.

There’s a reason NFL teams don’t usually start rookies on the line from day one. While there is never-ending interest about quarterback Tim Tebow’s mechanics and plenty of wonder over how much receiver Demaryius Thomas can contribute right away, rookie offensive linemen have their own challenges. And the Broncos have two that are vying to start – Walton and second-round pick Zane Beadles, who has been with the first team at left guard.

“I wouldn’t say it’s easy,” Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said. “I think those guys are learning a lot. We’re putting a lot of situations in front of them that are very difficult. They’re reacting well to them.”

Walton looks the part of a starting center at least. He’s big, looks strong, and has just enough hair on his chin to look tough. During practice he moves with purpose and shows off decent athleticism.

The Broncos hope those early appearances are accurate. At least one rookie appears likely to start on the line right away, depending if Russ Hochstein plays guard or center upon his return from knee surgery. Denver’s decision on Hochstein could be determined by which rookie they think would be a weaker link. Or, the Broncos could decide they’re better off with both rookies starting right away, even though there’s no precedent for that in Denver.

Even though he was the starting center in May and June, Walton knows that means little.

“Nothing is given to you in this league,” Walton said. “You’ve got to earn everything.”

Walton repeatedly mentioned getting the respect of the veterans as his top priority. That’s especially important on the offensive line, where all five players work together and trust each other. Getting down the terminology was one of his biggest obstacles.

“When they see you’re making the right calls and they understand you know what you’re talking about, you earn that respect from them,” Walton said.

The rookie linemen started slow. McDaniels said during the early offseason minicamps they had practices he’d consider bad, but understood many of the things they were seeing were new to them. As the offseason practices went on, the rookies got better.

“It looks like we know exactly where to go, who to block, how to sort things out, who to communicate with and I think they’re really picking that up,” McDaniels said.

Walton said he’ll continue to study the playbook before training camp starts in late July so he is ready for the challenge.

“I’m just having fun with it,” Walton said. “I’m trying to earn my position, and busting my butt every day.”

CO Springs Gazette (http://www.gazette.com/sports/walton-100285-center-history.html)

GEM
06-16-2010, 02:46 PM
Sadly....I dunno if those guys are earning those positions on the merits of their play or because we don't have any other bodies to put there. Let's hope it truly is their play.

ikillz0mbies
06-16-2010, 03:03 PM
Sadly....I dunno if those guys are earning those positions on the merits of their play or because we don't have any other bodies to put there. Let's hope it truly is their play.

I'm hoping it is their play as well. I mean, Walton does have the potential to be a really good lineman in this league. He's already got that mean streak to him.

GEM
06-16-2010, 03:05 PM
I'm hoping it is their play as well. I mean, Walton does have the potential to be a really good lineman in this league. He's already got that mean streak to him.

Mean streaks....we haven't seen that in awhile. I certainly hope it's back. :rockon:

BigBroncLove
06-16-2010, 03:08 PM

I think he has great potential and can be a great Center personally. Whether he's actually ready to start remains to be seen as GEM said or if its a move out of necessity. One things for sure, whether he's ready or not, trial by fire is likely going to be what his rookie year is all about. I think the same goes for Beadles, though his size and strength make him a great fit in the interior IMO.

LTC Pain
06-16-2010, 03:24 PM
Walton and Beadles are both reputed to "play with an edge". Nice to know we have a couple of O-lineman who want to block and kick that ass!

Denver Native (Carol)
06-16-2010, 03:27 PM
Found this older article on the rookies:

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=10111

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- When the Broncos' 2009 campaign came to a close with an 8-8 record, the team knew what it needed to do to improve -- control the line of scrimmage.

Sure enough, within the first five days of free agency, the club had added 843 pounds of bulk on the defensive line.

But the overhaul didn't stop there. Next, the team moved on to the offensive line, snagging two linemen in the first three rounds of the draft, and closing out its crop of nine picks with three new linemen.

The addition of Zane Beadles, J.D. Walton and Eric Olsen -- all of whom can play multiple positions on the line -- did exactly what Head Coach Josh McDaniels and the front office set out to do after the season: increase competition.

"I think what we did that's really improved the competition at that spot is that we got bigger," McDaniels said. "I think that was a goal for us, both to assist us and protect us in the pocket, and then also being able to run the football."

The three new additions on the offensive line since the draft -- college free agents Paul Duncan and Chris Marinelli and 10th-year veteran free agent Maurice Williams -- fit the bill as well. Each of the new additions weighs at least 300 pounds, and the shortest of the group is Walton, who check in at 6-foot-3. The tallest -- Duncan and Marinelli -- are both 6-feet-7-inches.

They join Dustin Fry, a 6-foot-3, 326-pound center who also joined the team after the season, signing a future contract on January 7.

Having such a large group -- no pun intended -- of newcomers to the Broncos offensive line will help the transition for each player, according to Beadles.

"All offensive lineman are the same -- we always get along, no matter where we're at," said the second-round pick. "To be able to come in with these guys and build some camaraderie and work together and learn together (is great). Learning together is a huge thing. It's just better bouncing things off multiple guys and that's a definite advantage for us."

Another advantage the offensive linemen have is that each of them has the ability to play multiple positions along the line.

Olsen, McDaniels said, is a guard who can switch to center, Walton is a center who can switch to guard, Beadles is a tackle who can play guard and Duncan and Marinelli played both left and right tackle in college.

"We've got some versatility there that will help us," McDaniels said. "When you go to the game with seven linemen, obviously you need that to be present so that you can do what you need to do if you face an injury."

That's the approach the five rookie offensive linemen took when they took to the field for the first time as Broncos in last weekend's rookie minicamp.

McDaniels preaches that each player defines his own role on the team, and the linemen aren't taking that lightly. Each one has delved into the playbook not only for their position, but all of the slots along the offensive line.

"No matter if I'm playing one position or five positions, I think I'm a better player knowing what the guys next to me are doing," Beadles said. "I try to learn it as a whole. Maybe that's a little bit more difficult, but I think it's a better way to do it and makes me a better player."

Each player takes pride in their versatility, and each might be able to put it on display a little earlier than expected -- at least during the team's OTAs and minicamps in the coming months.

With Ryan Clady recovering from offseason surgery and Ryan Harris and Russ Hochstein working back from injuries that saw them placed on injured reserve in December last season, the young players have a chance to step up quickly.

Beadles said he and his teammates relish that opportunity.

"I think that's the biggest thing -- learning," he said. "The best way to learn is to go out and make mistakes, so I'm going to have plenty of opportunities to do that, I think. I hope I can get out there and learn from those mistakes and not make them over again."

For now, the newcomers to the line are taking it one day at a time, learning a new offense and new terminology and getting to know new teammates. Most importantly, they're doing it all together.

"While we're going to compete and try to get spots and earn our roles on this team, at the same time we're all in it together," Olsen said. "As offensive linemen, by nature that's what we do and that's what we're all about."

SOCALORADO.
06-16-2010, 03:49 PM
Walton and Beadles will start, and they will be a little rough around the edges, but by week 3-4, they will shine. I was absolutely thrilled they were drafted since both play with serious mean streaks. These guys are just what the offense needed. These guys are smart too. But i am sure they will see some serious attacks by the opposing defenses.
And the fact that they can play multiple positions only adds to their value.
I like Tebow behind these guys myself though. If there is a breakdown in assignments, Tebow can scramble outta trouble and make plays with his feet.

BroncoNut
06-16-2010, 03:54 PM
isn't there a guy out of Notre Dame (Seth Olsen?) that was drafted this year also as a promising Center?

Denver Native (Carol)
06-16-2010, 03:55 PM
isn't there a guy out of Notre Dame (Seth Olsen?) that was drafted this year also as a promising Center?

Olsen, McDaniels said, is a guard who can switch to center, Walton is a center who can switch to guard, Beadles is a tackle who can play guard and Duncan and Marinelli played both left and right tackle in college.

BigBroncLove
06-16-2010, 03:58 PM
It was Eric Olsen out of Notre Dame.

Carol is right in McD's statements that Eric Olsen is seen more as a Guard to Center prospect. He was also seen more as a developmental guy then someone who projected as an immediate starter. On a side note, just like Walton, Eric Olsen is known to have a nasty mentality on the line.

Seth Olsen is the guard who was drafted last year and was demoted to second team when they moved Beadles to LG with the limited return of Ryan Harris.

BroncoNut
06-16-2010, 04:00 PM
It was Eric Olsen out of Notre Dame.

Carol is right in McD's statements that Eric Olsen is seen more as a Guard to Center prospect. He was also seen more as a developmental guy then someone who projected as an immediate starter. On a side note, just like Walton, Eric Olsen is known to have a nasty mentality on the line.

Seth Olsen is the guard who was drafted last year.

Eric and Seth Olsen. Tell me those aren't Scandinavian names. that Viking temper on the front line.

Lonestar
06-16-2010, 04:50 PM
Well any way you look at it we should be about 20 pounds per man increase in body weight which should make PBS work a tad better. I also suspect that the extra weight they carry is more beef than flab.

I don't think they will have ALL the kinks worked out much before the BYE week if then.

But better to have someone that is not going to be driven back into the pocket than Hamilton.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

TXBRONC
06-16-2010, 05:02 PM

I've heard Kuper has down right nasty disposition on the field.

TXBRONC
06-16-2010, 05:06 PM

Eric Olsen, Seth was drafted last year.

dogfish
06-16-2010, 05:40 PM
Eric and Seth Olsen. Tell me those aren't Scandinavian names. that Viking temper on the front line.

maybe they can be our version of the hanson brothers. . . .

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/4240/521811473a2045b5f3.jpg (http://img21.imageshack.us/i/521811473a2045b5f3.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

honestly, it's going to get really interesting come cut-down time. . . if we only keep seven linemen, it looks like there could be some tough decisions. . . this certainly isn't set in stone, but i think it's very safe to assume that ryan clady, zane beadles, JD walton, chris kuper and ryan harris are all more or less locks to make the team-- i think that also looks like a relatively likely combination for our starting lineup, granted that everyone is healthy and available. . . i think it's very probable that polumbus gets one of the backup spots, as you almost have to have a swing tackle dressed on gameday unless you want one of your interior guys sliding outside mid-game, which we wouldn't. . . so pencil polumbus in unless somebody can unseat him on the tackle depth chart, but the fact that he's playing first-string left tackle in clady's absence leads me to believe it's a long shot. . .

you'd guess that if we do keep seven the other would be a versatile interior guy, and IMO it's probably going to come down to seth olsen, eric olsen and hochstein battling for that last spot-- unless hochstein starts at left guard, but i hope to hell somebody can beat him out. . . if hochstein does start you can pretty much call beadles the seventh, unless they want to keep one of the olsens and trust beadles as the swing tackle. . .

if it comes down to hochstein vs. seth or eric olsen, i'd rather take a bit of a chance going with a lot of youth, but i have a feeling that the coaching staff will more likely feel comfortable with a little experience on the bench-- in which case one or quite possibly both of the olsens could be put on the practice squad if they clear waivers. . .

or, maybe mcD will feel comfortable enough with seth olsen after a year in the scheme to keep him over hochstein. . . lots of potential ways to go with those last couple spots, and it's not impossible that a guy like frye could make it even tougher with a good camp. . .

the one scenario that could throw a monkey wrench into things is clady not being ready or able to practice before the start of the season-- then you have to decide whether to keep an active roster spot open for a guy who may not be able to contribute right away, or if you want to put him on the PUP list and lose him until at least week 6. . . personally, if there's uncertainty, i'd almost rather we go the overly cautious route-- with what i think our chances of making the big game this year are, i'd much rather not take any chances at all with a franchise left tackle his age!

regardless, it's going to be interesting. . . and looking at the options we have on the interior, i'd say josh made good on his word when he said we were going to increase competition and depth on the interior O-line. . . it was a huge problem, and i for one am pretty pleased with the measures he took to address it. . . it may take a year or two to really get everyone up to speed and in synch, but i feel like we should start seeing results relatively soon if we got the right guys. . .

i'm particularly excited to see what we got in walton-- this is obvious just an idle long-range projection, but i wouldn't be surprised if someday he's regarded as the second best center in denver in franchise history, and i have high hopes to see him playing at a solid pro level by no later than mid-season. . . rookie or not. . .

Bosco
06-16-2010, 05:45 PM
Sadly....I dunno if those guys are earning those positions on the merits of their play

They are. Walton has to fend off Dustin Fry, Eric Olsen and Russ Hochstein for his job, and Beadles has to fend off both Olsens and Hochstein.

No matter who starts, we should have a pretty good line this year.

Lonestar
06-16-2010, 06:44 PM
Btw that looks to be two vikes a an Irishman. Should be a mean group.

Lonestar
06-16-2010, 06:54 PM
maybe they can be our version of the hanson brothers. . . .

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/4240/521811473a2045b5f3.jpg (http://img21.imageshack.us/i/521811473a2045b5f3.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

honestly, it's going to get really interesting come cut-down time. . . if we only keep seven linemen, it looks like there could be some tough decisions. . . this certainly isn't set in stone, but i think it's very safe to assume that ryan clady, zane beadles, JD walton, chris kuper and ryan harris are all more or less locks to make the team-- i think that also looks like a relatively likely combination for our starting lineup, granted that everyone is healthy and available. . . i think it's very probable that polumbus gets one of the backup spots, as you almost have to have a swing tackle dressed on gameday unless you want one of your interior guys sliding outside mid-game, which we wouldn't. . . so pencil polumbus in unless somebody can unseat him on the tackle depth chart, but the fact that he's playing first-string left tackle in clady's absence leads me to believe it's a long shot. . .

you'd guess that if we do keep seven the other would be a versatile interior guy, and IMO it's probably going to come down to seth olsen, eric olsen and hochstein battling for that last spot-- unless hochstein starts at left guard, but i hope to hell somebody can beat him out. . . if hochstein does start you can pretty much call beadles the seventh, unless they want to keep one of the olsens and trust beadles as the swing tackle. . .

if it comes down to hochstein vs. seth or eric olsen, i'd rather take a bit of a chance going with a lot of youth, but i have a feeling that the coaching staff will more likely feel comfortable with a little experience on the bench-- in which case one or quite possibly both of the olsens could be put on the practice squad if they clear waivers. . .

or, maybe mcD will feel comfortable enough with seth olsen after a year in the scheme to keep him over hochstein. . . lots of potential ways to go with those last couple spots, and it's not impossible that a guy like frye could make it even tougher with a good camp. . .

the one scenario that could throw a monkey wrench into things is clady not being ready or able to practice before the start of the season-- then you have to decide whether to keep an active roster spot open for a guy who may not be able to contribute right away, or if you want to put him on the PUP list and lose him until at least week 6. . . personally, if there's uncertainty, i'd almost rather we go the overly cautious route-- with what i think our chances of making the big game this year are, i'd much rather not take any chances at all with a franchise left tackle his age!

regardless, it's going to be interesting. . . and looking at the options we have on the interior, i'd say josh made good on his word when he said we were going to increase competition and depth on the interior O-line. . . it was a huge problem, and i for one am pretty pleased with the measures he took to address it. . . it may take a year or two to really get everyone up to speed and in synch, but i feel like we should start seeing results relatively soon if we got the right guys. . .

i'm particularly excited to see what we got in walton-- this is obvious just an idle long-range projection, but i wouldn't be surprised if someday he's regarded as the second best center in denver in franchise history, and i have high hopes to see him playing at a solid pro level by no later than mid-season. . . rookie or not. . .

Outstanding post. I was thinking the same thing about Clady before I read this post.

I too would rather hold him out until we actually need him.

But remember a Franchise OLT does not fetch quite the same respect on this team down the road as a FRT will when Tebow starts next year.

Which then could mean a couple of draft choices for him then.

Boy did I just stop some hearts with that one.

You heard it here first.

Donning the abestos suit I used to wear in the Jake wars.

From the oval office Jr reporting.

BigBroncLove
06-16-2010, 06:55 PM
I agree DF, though I think Hochsteins recovery time will be a big part. However given his versatility and experience I agree that he would be preferred to stay active over either Olsen. Who knows, cross your fingers on this one, but usually one injury will come up in the preseason that will help the staff make the decision. I really hope it doesn't though.

It's going to be a tight year as far as the roster goes. The WR core has to many people right now. Gaffney, Lloyd, Stokley, Royal, Decker, Thomas, McKinley, +2 more camp fodder and everyone competing will make that an interesting set of circumstances. The CB situation as well suffers a similar over population.

Honestly this will be a better year than most to watch the preseason IMO. With all the competition, whichever string is out on the field, there will be some key players to watch and see how they are playing against their competition. More than usual at least IMO.

hamrob
06-16-2010, 07:58 PM
I think Clady's going to have it rough this season. Coming back quickly off a knee surgery to compete in the NFL at LT is no easy chore. He's one of the best, but I wouldn't expect All-Pro play from him this year.

Lonestar
06-16-2010, 08:43 PM
Might even see Decker on the PUP list when TC starts as a way to protect him from getting snatched away.

BroncoWave
06-16-2010, 09:03 PM
Might even see Decker on the PUP list when TC starts as a way to protect him from getting snatched away.

Dude, we picked him in the third round, in what world would any team let one of their third round picks get snatched away as a rookie?

TXBRONC
06-16-2010, 09:30 PM
Dude, we picked him in the third round, in what world would any team let one of their third round picks get snatched away as a rookie?

He's going to be under contract anyway how would any team be able to snatch him away?

broncobryce
06-16-2010, 10:22 PM
Jr, put the drugs down! I usually somewhat agree with you, but tonight you are out of your mind!

TXBRONC
06-16-2010, 10:27 PM
Jr, put the drugs down! I usually somewhat agree with you, but tonight you are out of your mind!

I wonder if there are enough people around here to do an intervention with Jr?

I'm just kidding honest. :D

Lonestar
06-17-2010, 12:38 AM

I guess I did not make myslef clear. Decker has a lot of talent and probably would have gone higher had he not been injured.

Unless he is protected (IR). He may not make this team straight up without lots of reps between now and the first of the season. There is NO way he would clear to the PS.

A good way to sheild him is the PUP list. Which is good till IIRC about the tenth game give him a chance to learn and practice and for us to see if the others are going to work out.

It has been done by other teams before and it helps both sides.

dogfish
06-17-2010, 01:26 AM
I guess I did not make myslef clear. Decker has a lot of talent and probably would have gone higher had he not been injured.

Unless he is protected (IR). He may not make this team straight up without lots of reps between now and the first of the season. There is NO way he would clear to the PS.

A good way to sheild him is the PUP list. Which is good till IIRC about the tenth game give him a chance to learn and practice and for us to see if the others are going to work out.

it's not a bad option if it comes down to that, but given that he's practicing and will most likely play in the pre-season, we'd have to claim that he'd re-injured it. . . besides which, i really do think he's going to make the team on his own merit-- i don't know if you can ever cal a receiver "pro-ready," but i think he can contribute for us, at least down the stretch. . . i also think mcD has made it pretty clear that he expects both rookie receivers to contribute this year-- so while i know it's one of the tougher positions to translate, it doesn't sound to me like he intends to ease them into things too slowly. . .

with our receiving corps, i don't know that i blame him for feeling like he's going to need some help from them. . . outside of royal there's no explosiveness in that veteran group, and there's no size period. . . if we want to be competitive this year, we really need royal to step his production up AND for some combination of gaffney/lloyd and the rooks to at least equal marshall's production-- and probably pick up most of the slack for scheffler's numbers, as well. . .

mcD needs bodies for his spread, and beyond royal, stokley, gaffney and lloyd, thomas and decker would look to me like the logical last two we keep. . . although honestly, i do think there's a chance a guy like matthew willis or maybe mckinley could beat out stokley, if josh decides one of the young guys has too much upside to risk trying to stash on the PS for a year. . . i personally like stokes a lot, and i think he fits well in this system, but there are some other factors. . .

he's a significant injury risk, rarely plays a full season, and even if he does is limited in how many effective snaps he can give you before he starts wearing down pretty badly. . . he also doesn't play special teams-- if a guy like kolby smith beats out arrington, i can see it possibly influencing us to keep a younger receiver over stokley. . . could also depend on whether perrish cox can show something on returns. . .

Bosco
06-17-2010, 01:40 AM

Correct.

The guy ahead of him (Gaffney) is very solid and pretty well entrenched. I could see them sticking Decker on the PUP and letting him heal, then letting him get some small amounts of playing time later in the year.

Elevation inc
06-17-2010, 01:55 AM
it's not a bad option if it comes down to that, but given that he's practicing and will most likely play in the pre-season, we'd have to claim that he'd re-injured it. . . besides which, i really do think he's going to make the team on his own merit-- i don't know if you can ever cal a receiver "pro-ready," but i think he can contribute for us, at least down the stretch. . . i also think mcD has made it pretty clear that he expects both rookie receivers to contribute this year-- so while i know it's one of the tougher positions to translate, it doesn't sound to me like he intends to ease them into things too slowly. . .

with our receiving corps, i don't know that i blame him for feeling like he's going to need some help from them. . . outside of royal there's no explosiveness in that veteran group, and there's no size period. . . if we want to be competitive this year, we really need royal to step his production up AND for some combination of gaffney/lloyd and the rooks to at least equal marshall's production-- and probably pick up most of the slack for scheffler's numbers, as well. . .

mcD needs bodies for his spread, and beyond royal, stokley, gaffney and lloyd, thomas and decker would look to me like the logical last two we keep. . . although honestly, i do think there's a chance a guy like matthew willis or maybe mckinley could beat out stokley, if josh decides one of the young guys has too much upside to risk trying to stash on the PS for a year. . . i personally like stokes a lot, and i think he fits well in this system, but there are some other factors. . .

he's a significant injury risk, rarely plays a full season, and even if he does is limited in how many effective snaps he can give you before he starts wearing down pretty badly. . . he also doesn't play special teams-- if a guy like kolby smith beats out arrington, i can see it possibly influencing us to keep a younger receiver over stokley. . . could also depend on whether perrish cox can show something on returns. . .

im cofident we will roll with 6 WR's this year.....

Thomas, Royal, Gaffney Should start....Lloyd Will be number 4, Mckinnely 5, Stokely 6...Willis to PS.......Decker To PUP or IR.....Decker will replace stokley the following year just my 2 cents.......

however early returns on willis are very good and royal mentioned on twitter to watch out for willis....so i could see a scenario where stokley gets released and we keep willis if he has a dominant TC......

Lonestar
06-17-2010, 02:45 AM

IIRC decker has not practiced just been on the sidlines eye balling it.
If that is correct and even if it is not. IF he is not ready and avialable for TC, I'd PUP him in a heartbeat. Until he is ready to go completely. We have a lot of options right now and if they look good they could be trade bait.

We could send one or more to WAS for haynesworth.

Elevation inc
06-17-2010, 03:58 AM

well right now he hasnt done squat since he is injured to get reps....when he does start getting reps his first will be in TC(if he is even ready by then which he may not be)Decker is not gonna just be able to throw on pads and go into contact day 1 of TC he wasnt even running routes in shorts yet...if he doesnt dominate right in huis first reps he risks losing out to stokley, mckinnely, lloyd and maybe even willis regardless of where he was drafted....

that makes the PS and PUP most likely options....he is behind the curve right now period becasue of his injury its a fact....to think he is guarenteed a spot because he was a third rd pick is not smart....he has a big gap ahead of him....

His best option right now is the PUP, because we put him on the PS he is gone and i belive thats what the poster meant by snatched away....

its doubtful to me he can come in and beat out stokley and lloyd and willis right now......he just has to steep a curve....i like decker alot....but i dont realistically expect anything from him untill next year

I Am almost certain MCD will pup Reid and decker and wait for what happens....

Elevation inc
06-17-2010, 04:02 AM
He's going to be under contract anyway how would any team be able to snatch him away?

is he signed yet???? i dont think so......he could still be released it would be a waste of a pick yes...but thats not MCD's MO see brandstater....

alot can happen with decker right now.....he hasnt done anything for this team yet other than some mental reps and catch balls on the sidelines....

TXBRONC
06-17-2010, 07:10 AM
is he signed yet???? i dont think so......he could still be released it would be a waste of a pick yes...but thats not MCD's MO see brandstater....

alot can happen with decker right now.....he hasnt done anything for this team yet other than some mental reps and catch balls on the sidelines....

No he's not signed right now but they're just now getting the rookies signed. I expect that by the time camp starts he will be. He was a third round pick so I don't see McDaniels just dumping him.

BroncoWave
06-17-2010, 08:34 AM
My point is that he's a third round pick so he's obviously going on the PUP instead of the PS if those were the options. I figured that went without saying and I really fail to see why it's even being discussed as if going on the PS were even a faint possibility.

TXBRONC
06-17-2010, 10:29 AM
My point is that he's a third round pick so he's obviously going on the PUP instead of the PS if those were the options. I figured that went without saying and I really fail to see why it's even being discussed as if going on the PS were even a faint possibility.

Exactly we're not talking about a 7th round or a CFA. It was player chosen in the 3rd round. It's pretty rare for that high of pick to get the ax.