PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Add Smith, Waive Two

Denver Native (Carol)
06-15-2010, 05:47 PM
http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denverbroncos/broncos-add-smith-waive-two/

The Broncos have been assigned former Kansas City running back Kolby Smith on waivers. Smith was waived by the Chiefs on Monday.

The team also announced it has waived linebacker Korey Bosworth and punter A.J. Trapasso.

Smith, a fourth-year veteran out of Louisville, rushed for more than 400 yards as a rookie in 2007, while playing in all 16 games. The former fifth-round pick started six games at the end of the season when starter Larry Johnson went down with a season-ending foot injury.

For his career, Smith has picked up 540 yards on 162 carries with three rushing touchdowns.

Smith totaled 50 carries during the last two seasons while limited with injuries. The 5-foot-11, 219-pounder played in just four games last season, rushing for 33 yards on 15 attempts. He added two catches for nine yards.

Smith has also seen time as a special teams performer.

Trapasso, a former Ray Guy Award semifinalist at Ohio State, split last season between Tampa Bay and Tennessee’s practice squad. Since being signed in January, Trapasso had competed with Britton Colquitt.

On Sunday, Head Coach Josh McDaniels declared Colquitt ahead in the punting competition. The move leaves Colquitt, a second-year college free agent out of Tennessee who spent Week 17 last season on the Broncos’ active roster, as the lone punter on the roster.

Bosworth, a college free agent linebacker out of UCLA, was a two-year starter for the Bruins who finished his college career with 154 tackles, including 33.5 tackles for a loss and 11 sacks. Bosworth is the nephew of former Oklahoma University and Seattle Seahawks star Brian Bosworth.

broncophan
06-15-2010, 05:53 PM
I was kind of hoping Trapasso would make the team......oh well....sounds like Colquitt has been doing well...

BroncoWave
06-15-2010, 05:54 PM
We got rid of the Boz. :(

dogfish
06-15-2010, 06:13 PM
good. . . i actually was hoping we'd pick him up when i saw the chefs had let him go. . .

he's nothing special, but he's competent, and we need more competition at RB. . .

too bad for mini-boz. . .

BigBroncLove
06-15-2010, 06:17 PM
I actually liked what I saw of Kolby Smith while he was with the Chiefs. He runs with a great motor and I believe he is a solid change of pace guy. I personally think he could give JJ a run for his money, quite literally.

jhildebrand
06-15-2010, 06:17 PM
I definitely like the Smith pickup. The more youth the better IMO

jhildebrand
06-15-2010, 06:20 PM
Does that mean there is an Open roster spot? :confused: They signed one and released two.

I wonder what else will go down?

Denver Native (Carol)
06-15-2010, 06:51 PM
Does that mean there is an Open roster spot?:confused: They signed one and released two.

I wonder what else will go down?

This happened yeterday - does that now mean there are two open spots? Is a team limited on how many players they can have at this time of the year?

http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denverbroncos/kelley-waivedinjured/

The Broncos on Monday designated linebacker Braxton Kelley as waived/injured.

The first-year player joined the Broncos as an undrafted free agent before the 2009 season, and spent his rookie campaign on the team’s practice squad.

At the University of Kentucky, Kelley amassed 287 tackles, 6.5 sacks, four forced fumbles, one fumble recovery and six pass breakups in 46 career games.

dogfish
06-15-2010, 07:29 PM
Does that mean there is an Open roster spot? :confused: They signed one and released two.

yea, but do punters even count?

honz
06-15-2010, 09:11 PM
Dude, my mentally challenged, midget, asthmatic grandfather that died in the war was a punter.

jhildebrand
06-15-2010, 09:41 PM

Kickers speak when spoken to.

Kickers count only when spoken to.

When spoken to kickers can give only the reply that is given to them to reply.

jhildebrand
06-15-2010, 09:43 PM
This happened yeterday - does that now mean there are two open spots? Is a team limited on how many players they can have at this time of the year?

IIRC, they are limited to 80 this time of year. I know at one point there was talk of increasing that number and I don't know if they did.

It would seem to me there are some spots open. I bet McD and Xanders have something in the works.

I like the RB pickup. They might be able to find another nice pick up for those spots.

TXBRONC
06-15-2010, 10:00 PM
IIRC, they are limited to 80 this time of year. I know at one point there was talk of increasing that number and I don't know if they did.

It would seem to me there are some spots open. I bet McD and Xanders have something in the works.

I like the RB pickup. They might be able to find another nice pick up for those spots.

I'm pretty sure that you're recalling correctly about how big camp rosters can be.

jhildebrand
06-15-2010, 10:11 PM
I'm pretty sure you recall correctly about how big camp rosters can be.

Well then I am curious what positions will take over the open spots. This could get good.

dogfish
06-15-2010, 10:38 PM
Dude, my mentally challenged, midget, asthmatic grandfather that died in the war was a punter.

i'm sorry-- both for him, and you. . .

TXBRONC
06-15-2010, 10:44 PM
Well then I am curious what positions will take over the open spots. This could get good.

A veteran long snapper to challenge Paxton. :D

jhildebrand
06-15-2010, 10:57 PM
A veteran long snapper to challenge Paxton. :D

Did the Pats release another longsnapper? :lol:

I have a feeling they are gonna add a few bodies on the D side of the ball.

sneakers
06-16-2010, 12:07 AM
That guy was a really good punter at Ohio State!

honz
06-16-2010, 01:58 AM
i'm sorry-- both for him, and you. . .

Thank you.

Elevation inc
06-16-2010, 04:29 AM
i pretty sure there will be some more cuts coming this week.....never expected much from boz so no suprise there, i like the smith pick-up, but we now have 3 injury prone backs on our roster.....apparently they really like tony baker the UDFA as well so i pray he can make a impact because its almost a ceratinty at this point that eitehr arrington, buckhalter or smith will miss time becasue of injury. i Would like to add a RDE and another RB before camp....

Dirk
06-16-2010, 05:33 AM
Ok pickup. It's always good to snag a talent. Especially when they come from a rival team.

LTC Pain
06-16-2010, 11:07 AM
Good pickup as the Broncos could use the depth heading in to camp.

My brothers are Chiefs fans. One mentioned, per arrowheadpride.com, one of the reasons the Broncos picked up Smith was to get intel on KC's plays and zone blocking scheme. I told them to go do the wild thing with themselves :)

TXBRONC
06-16-2010, 11:10 AM
Since we're going a power running game you need good stable of power backs.

Fan in Exile
06-16-2010, 11:54 AM
I don't think this means that we have an open roster spot since Dumerville signed his tender, but I could be wrong on that.

Tempus Fugit
06-16-2010, 12:16 PM
I don't expect that this will amount to anything.

Bosco
06-16-2010, 05:59 PM
I don't expect that this will amount to anything.

Me either, although Smith could push Arrington for that backup role.