PDA

View Full Version : Drafting Josh McDaniels

WARHORSE
06-15-2010, 05:28 AM
Peyton Manning. John Elway.

Two names synonymous with first overall draft selection greats.

Both QBs.

Both outstanding players.

Both started games in their first year of the NFL.

Both made alot of mistakes in that first season as well.

Both went on, and one still on, to have HOF careers. (Manning is already a first ballot shoo in)

But if there were a draft for NFL headcoaches, and I had the number one pick, who would I pick knowing what I know at this moment?

Removing Shanahan, but looking at the headcoaches who have been available in the past few years, who would it be?

Cowher? Gruden? Spagnolo? Morris?

What about McDaniels?

I am uber impressed with this young man. I can see why Bowlen picked him, and why he is happy with what he sees.

Some people would call him a dumb*ss. Why? Because he traded Cutler, Marshall and Scheff, and he didnt have any headcoaching experience to hang his hat on.

But thats one of the things that has me enamored with him. You see, if Bill Belichick were the new headcoach of the Denver Broncos last year, and it were him that made the exact same decisions as Josh did, the fan and league response would have been FAR, FAR different.

Possibly even, I believe, from Cutler. Lets rehash.(its the offseason)

Belichick gets a call from Detroit and Tampa Bay talking interest about Culter. Belichick listens. Decides no. Cutler finds out and starts whining. Belichick tells him everyone is a possible trade commodity on the team. We merely listened, dont get yer panties in a bunch, youre our QB. Cutler responds with, is it possible I will be traded in the future? Belichick says, we will listen to any offer, and if we feel it will make the Broncos a stronger team, we will pull the trigger. Thats life in the NFL son, get used to it.

Now, I dont believe Cutler would have reacted the same way if it were superbowl winning coach Belichick saying those things, and perhaps Bills maturity level over young Josh would have given him an edge on presenting it to Cutler in an encouraging but firm way rather than feeling an authoritive challenge like Josh, but if he had, Belichick would have traded Cutler just like Josh did, and while there may have been some who still questioned it, no where near the hailstorm would have hit Denver.

And thats part of the reason I like Josh. He has balls of steel. Big mind you......balls of steel. He did not give in to pressure he knew would come. He made the same decision Belichick would have made, and he made it because it was the RIGHT decision. He didnt cave. A lesser man would have caved.

Same thing goes for Marshall and Scheff. Josh made decisions he believes is best for the team. Whether they truly pan out to be remains to be seen, but it doesnt change the fact that the young man is one thing in his direction: Crystal clear.

Josh has made mistakes this past year. On the field and off, Im sure. But he is just as clear in his principles regarding himself as he is for his players: He must improve if he wants to win. Staying hungry. Staying focused. Working hard.

Combine

My head coach candidate works hard. Very hard and I like that. He is very thorough in his approach to every area of playing football in this league and what it takes to win. He is versed in QBs, WRs, Offense, Defense, Special Teams, Draft strategy, and cap management. He inspires those around him who love to win. He demands good character from his players, but more than that, he displays it himself. He is accountable. He is a force in the community as well and represents the Broncos in a good light everywhere he goes. His wife is a priority. His children are a priority. He comes from a football backround from day one of his life.

What do I see in Josh McDaniels when I view him as a possible candidate for the headcoaching position of my franchise? I see a vision. A vision instilled by him. Not only do I see production and great work ethic.....I see HUGE potential.

See, McDaniels is no where near his peak as a head coach. Heck. He has a single year under his belt.

But just like Peyton and John, the first year or two is gonna have its challenges. And this guy is learning on the run cause he hit the ground running. Hes getting reps undercenter on gameday. He has a year under his belt.

The game will slow down for him.

With the number one overall pick of the NFL headcoaching draft of 2010.......The Denver Broncos select Josh McDaniels. :salute::salute::salute:

HORSEPOWER 56
06-15-2010, 07:11 AM
It's a good enough article - a little one sided, IMO, but it does bring up some good points.

The one thing it glosses over completely though (and since they keep making the McDaniels to Bellichick comparison) is the simple fact that if not for a lucky 6th round pick named Tom Brady, none of the 3 Superbowl wins (which are what really gave Bellichick his "uber coaching guru" status) were likely to happen.

Since that original team that won 3 Superbowls in 4 years, Bellichick's Patriots have had their share of problems like any other team. Tons of people still think he's "the poop" and a guy to model yourself after, but lets review really quick:

a) In the past 2 years, he's had just as many contract disputes, hold outs, bad character, non-team players that have publicly brought negative attention to his team as any other team. He's pretty much set a standard that unless your name is Bill Bellichick, we're going to low-ball you contractually and either trade you away or release you when you don't like it. Even Tom Brady isn't immune anymore it seems...

b) You allowed possibly the best team ever assembled (that money could buy, really) to be beaten in the Superbowl by a far inferior team. Really, you just got out-coached, badly. The effectiveness of the Giants pass-rush was just as much a matter of your failure to adapt to it as it was the fact that they played well.

c) Top players and league veteran FAs have figured out that you're just not guaranteed a Superbowl by going to NE like you used to be. A lot of high priced vets were willing to sacrifice a lot of money and put up with Bellichick's attitude because they thought it would bring them a Superbowl. Now, at least it appears from the outside, that the majority of the higher talent (and value) vets who want to be paid for their services are starting to get treated poorly. Some folks are all about the "my way or the highway, screw those greedy players" philosophy, but more of these talented vets are leaving the Patriots than are coming in FA.

Bellichick was the coach of the last decade, no doubt. I just don't know if emulating him 100% is the right answer, especially until you know you have the players in place to back it up. It would also be nice to be able to keep a good team together and not drive away your best players every offseason.

SR
06-15-2010, 07:29 AM
Where's this article from?

Lonestar
06-15-2010, 10:37 AM
What got my attention was his grasp of what wins and what does not.

When he came to town he was pro ZBS while wanting to move to MORE PBS he said other teams wanted to incorporate it into their schemes.

BUT he knew after watching our game film, that it could not "close" the game inside the red zone.

His proclaimation we would get Bigger, faster, stronger and meaner. Showed he knew that this team was living off past glory and was soft. Either he saw that in the film before he was interviewed OR Pat clued him in as to what he was looking for.

THE only two things I had issue with intially was bringing in Paxton when we had Leach and not playing Hillis.
After seeing Paxton perform and NOW knowing that Leach was going to get a raise when his contract expired and the reviews from the punter about how good LP is I have changed my mind on this one, even as much as I defended Leach in the past I now like this move.

As far as Hillis is concerned the more I think about this the more I think it was Bobby T promoting everyone but Hillis in the past two years.

It is well known that BT is one of the premier RB coaches in the game. When rookie HC comes to town askes BT so what do we have who do you want to keep BT says I need a top flight RB in the draft I like Moreno has the size I like "looks like another TD".
Josh knowing that the passing game is going to struggle JUST BECAUSE it is complex and hard to learn by everyone, decides to give BT his wish for something DEN has never done since F Little.

Now not only is BT invested in KM so is Josh. So while hillis had a stellar year when finnaly called on when there was nothing left on the shelve the year before, BT and Josh have shiny new toy in Moreno. BT sees rookie gets all of the touches in practice and hillis is on the shelf until there is no other choice again like 08.

Now Josh askes BT what is going on and BT says he is not ready and KM is the man.

Late the season Josh is asked what's up with Hillis and he says we like him and he will get playing time. But it does not happen.

After the season continues to say he will get playing time. But then Quinn is dangled for Hillis the QB that he really wanted in the jay trade so Hillis goes to maybe star in CLE and Josh has his future QB when KO becomes a UFA.

Any way that is what I think happened in the only things I have not liked about Josh coming to town.

I know that many here do not like Josh for a mulitude of reasons. IMHO none of them justified and can't be other than mikey love, Billy/NE hate or they wanted someone else to be hired.

It is just that simple. IMO.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Northman
06-15-2010, 12:23 PM
Awesome.

Lmao

Lonestar
06-18-2010, 12:16 AM
Peyton Manning. John Elway.

Two names synonymous with first overall draft selection greats.

Both QBs.

Both outstanding players.

Both started games in their first year of the NFL.

Both made alot of mistakes in that first season as well.

Both went on, and one still on, to have HOF careers. (Manning is already a first ballot shoo in)

But if there were a draft for NFL headcoaches, and I had the number one pick, who would I pick knowing what I know at this moment?

Removing Shanahan, but looking at the headcoaches who have been available in the past few years, who would it be?

Cowher? Gruden? Spagnolo? Morris?

What about McDaniels?

I am uber impressed with this young man. I can see why Bowlen picked him, and why he is happy with what he sees.

Some people would call him a dumb*ss. Why? Because he traded Cutler, Marshall and Scheff, and he didnt have any headcoaching experience to hang his hat on.

But thats one of the things that has me enamored with him. You see, if Bill Belichick were the new headcoach of the Denver Broncos last year, and it were him that made the exact same decisions as Josh did, the fan and league response would have been FAR, FAR different.

Possibly even, I believe, from Cutler. Lets rehash.(its the offseason)

Belichick gets a call from Detroit and Tampa Bay talking interest about Culter. Belichick listens. Decides no. Cutler finds out and starts whining. Belichick tells him everyone is a possible trade commodity on the team. We merely listened, dont get yer panties in a bunch, youre our QB. Cutler responds with, is it possible I will be traded in the future? Belichick says, we will listen to any offer, and if we feel it will make the Broncos a stronger team, we will pull the trigger. Thats life in the NFL son, get used to it.

Now, I dont believe Cutler would have reacted the same way if it were superbowl winning coach Belichick saying those things, and perhaps Bills maturity level over young Josh would have given him an edge on presenting it to Cutler in an encouraging but firm way rather than feeling an authoritive challenge like Josh, but if he had, Belichick would have traded Cutler just like Josh did, and while there may have been some who still questioned it, no where near the hailstorm would have hit Denver.

And thats part of the reason I like Josh. He has balls of steel. Big mind you......balls of steel. He did not give in to pressure he knew would come. He made the same decision Belichick would have made, and he made it because it was the RIGHT decision. He didnt cave. A lesser man would have caved.

Same thing goes for Marshall and Scheff. Josh made decisions he believes is best for the team. Whether they truly pan out to be remains to be seen, but it doesnt change the fact that the young man is one thing in his direction: Crystal clear.

Josh has made mistakes this past year. On the field and off, Im sure. But he is just as clear in his principles regarding himself as he is for his players: He must improve if he wants to win. Staying hungry. Staying focused. Working hard.

Combine

My head coach candidate works hard. Very hard and I like that. He is very thorough in his approach to every area of playing football in this league and what it takes to win. He is versed in QBs, WRs, Offense, Defense, Special Teams, Draft strategy, and cap management. He inspires those around him who love to win. He demands good character from his players, but more than that, he displays it himself. He is accountable. He is a force in the community as well and represents the Broncos in a good light everywhere he goes. His wife is a priority. His children are a priority. He comes from a football backround from day one of his life.

What do I see in Josh McDaniels when I view him as a possible candidate for the headcoaching position of my franchise? I see a vision. A vision instilled by him. Not only do I see production and great work ethic.....I see HUGE potential.

See, McDaniels is no where near his peak as a head coach. Heck. He has a single year under his belt.

But just like Peyton and John, the first year or two is gonna have its challenges. And this guy is learning on the run cause he hit the ground running. Hes getting reps undercenter on gameday. He has a year under his belt.

The game will slow down for him.

With the number one overall pick of the NFL headcoaching draft of 2010.......The Denver Broncos select Josh McDaniels. :salute::salute::salute:

Great thoughts. I can see that this has fell on deaf ears. With only one negative response.

I think it needs to be bumped.

TXBRONC
06-18-2010, 09:25 AM
Awesome.

Lmao

At what? Just curious.

NightTrainLayne
06-18-2010, 11:27 AM
I know that many here do not like Josh for a mulitude of reasons. IMHO none of them justified and can't be other than mikey love, Billy/NE hate or they wanted someone else to be hired.

What's so ironic, is that the way you preface your arguments in almost every single thread, you make it obvious to most any logical observer that they only reason you like McD so much, is because you hated "Mikey" so much.

Take a look in the mirror.

Northman
06-18-2010, 12:45 PM
At what? Just curious.

Sorry, i should of put /sarcasm. :lol:

Northman
06-18-2010, 12:46 PM
What's so ironic, is that the way you preface your arguments in almost every single thread, you make it obvious to most any logical observer that they only reason you like McD so much, is because you hated "Mikey" so much.

Word.

TXBRONC
06-18-2010, 12:52 PM
Sorry, i should of put /sarcasm. :lol:

I'm sorry it went right by me.

HORSEPOWER 56
06-18-2010, 05:17 PM

QFT. Believe it or not, you can debate McDaniels' effectiveness or performance without ever mentioning you know who... Most people do. Only JR brings up either Shanny or Cutler in every debate when anyone mentions something negative about the current regime.

I'm totally behind the current regime and am totally ready for a McDaniels coached, McCoy and Martindale coordinated, Orton QB'd TEAM to lead us to the playoffs. If it doesn't happen though, I won't be surprised and I'm not holding my breath. I have hope, though!

Lonestar
06-18-2010, 06:11 PM

Did not hate mikey just did not drool over the way some have in the past.

Thought overall untill the last couple of years he was a good to great HC.

He was never great at getting the team ready(up) for a trap game his personnel decisions IMHO were for crap.
But was a brilliant OC.

As for Josh he is everything so far that I would be in building a TEAM.

So if YOU want to think I hated mikey I guess I can't stop you.

Because I was critical of his moves personnel does not make me a hater. Same could be said of the Josh haters except that he has not had a chance to prove or disprove himself.

Many hate him because he is not mikey did not keep the #2 offenese, traded jay, came from NE, got rid od BM,TS or Nolan.

Not. Valid reasons IMHO.

BigBroncLove
06-18-2010, 07:17 PM
The roster/personel choices by McD specifically have been trodden over so many times, its bare and hallowed ground. I saw hallowed because it's littered with dead horses beaten to death and then beaten again. Mainly I don't talk about players who were with the Broncos in 2004 regarding the Broncos of 2010 and re-hashing it over players now gone from the roster has little appeal for me, and I imagine many others.

There's so much more to being a head coach then roster choices and so long as were talking about a "mock" coaching draft I'd prefer to concentrate -given what has been talked about to death- playbooks, schemes, and current players fitting into both much more. All of which seem to be almost an after thought in most discussions regarding the Broncos HC.

WARHORSE
06-18-2010, 07:59 PM
Where's this article from?

Me brain.;)

WARHORSE
06-18-2010, 08:14 PM
What got my attention was his grasp of what wins and what does not.

When he came to town he was pro ZBS while wanting to move to MORE PBS he said other teams wanted to incorporate it into their schemes.

BUT he knew after watching our game film, that it could not "close" the game inside the red zone.

His proclaimation we would get Bigger, faster, stronger and meaner. Showed he knew that this team was living off past glory and was soft. Either he saw that in the film before he was interviewed OR Pat clued him in as to what he was looking for.

THE only two things I had issue with intially was bringing in Paxton when we had Leach and not playing Hillis.
After seeing Paxton perform and NOW knowing that Leach was going to get a raise when his contract expired and the reviews from the punter about how good LP is I have changed my mind on this one, even as much as I defended Leach in the past I now like this move.

As far as Hillis is concerned the more I think about this the more I think it was Bobby T promoting everyone but Hillis in the past two years.

It is well known that BT is one of the premier RB coaches in the game. When rookie HC comes to town askes BT so what do we have who do you want to keep BT says I need a top flight RB in the draft I like Moreno has the size I like "looks like another TD".
Josh knowing that the passing game is going to struggle JUST BECAUSE it is complex and hard to learn by everyone, decides to give BT his wish for something DEN has never done since F Little.

Now not only is BT invested in KM so is Josh. So while hillis had a stellar year when finnaly called on when there was nothing left on the shelve the year before, BT and Josh have shiny new toy in Moreno. BT sees rookie gets all of the touches in practice and hillis is on the shelf until there is no other choice again like 08.

Now Josh askes BT what is going on and BT says he is not ready and KM is the man.

Late the season Josh is asked what's up with Hillis and he says we like him and he will get playing time. But it does not happen.

After the season continues to say he will get playing time. But then Quinn is dangled for Hillis the QB that he really wanted in the jay trade so Hillis goes to maybe star in CLE and Josh has his future QB when KO becomes a UFA.

Any way that is what I think happened in the only things I have not liked about Josh coming to town.

Agreed on as a real possibility.

Another thing that gets overlooked concerning Josh's first year, is the fact that he spent the SAME money as the Redskins did on Albert Hatesworth, but instead of getting one knuckleheaded underachiever, he revamped our terrible defense, not to mention the character of the lockeroom. He and X mind melded and came up with a very agressive, and very effective free agent plan which they executed perfectly. They identified exactly who they wanted, and they got the greenlight from Bowlen to go and get them.

The switch to a 3-4 was galvanizing to Dooms effectiveness. The signings of Fields and McBean were streamlined with value.

Nolan gets the credit where credit is due? I dont think so.

It was McDaniels who faced both Hill and Goodman year in and year out in the NE/Miami games, and he knew how good these guys were.

Our secondary was on par with any in the league last year.

Was that Nolan? If you say yes, please close your mouth and cover it with duck tape. Im not saying Nolans playcalling wasnt a factor, it was. Both during the first six wins, AND during the last 8 losses, especially those after the Indy game.

Yes McD is uber confident. And some look at that as cockiness and arrogance at his age. But remove the age, and Josh looks like a coach thats is very in touch with what he believes it takes to win in this league.

AND, most important of all.......this guy does not make excuses for losing. He could have EASILY referred to the fact that we went from a pro bowl QB in Cutler to Orton, and leaned on that with whispers of the truth. He didnt. He said we can win, and we can win with the players on the field.

I just happen to think this guy is sort of like a Tiger Woods of HCs.

The potential is there, thats for sure.

Im gonna eat my popcorn and watch it like a good movie, cause I believe there are always good endings in Denver............:beer:

Go Broncos...........Go Josh.

Lonestar
06-18-2010, 08:56 PM
This guy is bulding the TEAM the way I would.

Get rid of the knucklheads build via the draft.

Get the LOS fixed first then deal with the playmakers.

Use FA to fill in spots not build a team. FA are way to ex0pensive and one of the reasons we were in cap hell for a long time.

Tned
06-20-2010, 11:55 AM

Thought overall untill the last couple of years he was a good to great HC.

He was never great at getting the team ready(up) for a trap game his personnel decisions IMHO were for crap.
But was a brilliant OC.

As for Josh he is everything so far that I would be in building a TEAM.

So if YOU want to think I hated mikey I guess I can't stop you.

Because I was critical of his moves personnel does not make me a hater. Same could be said of the Josh haters except that he has not had a chance to prove or disprove himself.

Many hate him because he is not mikey did not keep the #2 offenese, traded jay, came from NE, got rid od BM,TS or Nolan.

Not. Valid reasons IMHO.

You love to throw around the "call a spade a spade" comments, so let's be honest. All of this "mikey" hate is purely related to him benching Plummer for Cutler. From that point foward, you were a "mikey" basher. And are, and have been, far worse in terms of blind, hatred-based, bash posts of Shanahan (both when he was here and since) than anyone you lash out at on BF for posting 'anything' critical of Josh.

It's fine to bash a head coach for benching a guy you had a man crush on, but at least be honest about the reason for those that weren't around in '05/'06 to see where your 'mikey' hate comes from.

Lonestar
06-21-2010, 12:39 AM
You love to throw around the "call a spade a spade" comments, so let's be honest. All of this "mikey" hate is purely related to him benching Plummer for Cutler. From that point foward, you were a "mikey" basher. And are, and have been, far worse in terms of blind, hatred-based, bash posts of Shanahan (both when he was here and since) than anyone you lash out at on BF for posting 'anything' critical of Josh.

It's fine to bash a head coach for benching a guy you had a man crush on, but at least be honest about the reason for those that weren't around in '05/'06 to see where your 'mikey' hate comes from.

I have been cirtical of mikey since the ashley fiasco DAFTING him.

That was about the time I noticed his EOY pressers were the same each year.

Not to mention that I thought our real need in 06 was a DT not a QB.

In fact we still need a LOS hog or two.

He never did get around to DAFTING pric some help and IIRC that was 98 or so.

His day one picks sucked except for Price, poortis and a couple of LB's over a 14 year shot at it about 40 some odd chances.

Yoi can blow smoke under a lot of skirts about how I defended Jake but the bottom line is Mikey was a lousy HC out of the OC spot.

His personnel decisions caused his demise. Fact of life.

NightTrainLayne
06-21-2010, 11:59 AM

Have you thought that perchance the folks you lable as "haters" don't hate McD, but just don't "drool over" him the way you do?

It seems you're a victim of your own labels.

Tempus Fugit
06-21-2010, 12:38 PM
Have you thought that perchance the folks you lable as "haters" don't hate McD, but just don't "drool over" him the way you do?

That's an unfair comparison, especially given some of the sigs and avatars involved with the "anti-McDaniels" crowd. Your ultimate position on the matter may, or may not, be correct, but to point to the "drool over" comment doesn't seem to be firm grounding for your thesis.

Northman
06-21-2010, 12:40 PM

Spot on.

Tned
06-21-2010, 01:27 PM

Exactly. There are only a couple people that seem to 'hate' McDaniels, as there were only a couple people that hated Shanahan. After that, there are a lot of people that don't "drool over" him, or disagree with some specific moves he has made or actions taken. That is a long way from 'hate', even if a couple posters label any criticism of McDaniels as "hate speech".

TXBRONC
06-21-2010, 03:58 PM

Agreed.

TXBRONC
06-21-2010, 04:00 PM
Exactly. There are only a couple people that seem to 'hate' McDaniels, as there were only a couple people that hated Shanahan. After that, there are a lot of people that don't "drool over" him, or disagree with some specific moves he has made or actions taken. That is a long way from 'hate', even if a couple posters label any criticism of McDaniels as "hate speech".

The only thing the continuous labeling does is create ill will.

NightTrainLayne
06-21-2010, 04:13 PM

Amen. It just pisses people off.

Lonestar
06-21-2010, 04:26 PM

So be it.

Did you ever think that the continuos chatter degrading Josh, Tebow, Orton, does not do the same thing.

I'm just one that feels that way, I suspect there are many more like me. BUT I am not afraid to call a spade a spade. I know many folks fear getting ostracized by their peers, but I have only a few (mine being longtime fans) and frankly most agree with me.

see ya all later.

TXBRONC
06-21-2010, 04:37 PM
So be it.

Did you ever think that the continuos chatter degrading Josh, Tebow, Orton, does not do the same thing.

I'm just one that feels that way, I suspect there are many more like me. BUT I am not afraid to call a spade a spade. I know many folks fear getting ostracized by their peers, but I have only a few (mine being longtime fans) and frankly most agree with me.

see ya all later.

You mean like your continuous degrading of Shanahan and Cutler and a multitude of others? Yeah we understand perfectly well.

Northman
06-21-2010, 04:44 PM
You mean like your continuous degrading of Shanahan and Cutler and multitude of others? Yeah we understand perfectly well.

Just calling a spade a spade.

Tned
06-21-2010, 09:45 PM
So be it.

see ya all later.

Ironic that you didn't feel that way when you were continuously bashing Shanahan, Cutler and Marshall. So, it was ok for you to do it, but not others? Are we calling a spade a spade or hypocrite a hypocrite? I'm having trouble following?

LordTrychon
06-21-2010, 09:58 PM

You kumbaya singers irk me to no end.

Tned
06-21-2010, 10:00 PM

Kumbaya my ____, Kumbaya, Oh ____, Kumbaya....

The above post has been cleansed to be acceptable outside of P&R...

LordTrychon
06-21-2010, 10:01 PM
Kumbaya my ____, Kumbaya, Oh ____, Kumbaya....

The above post has been cleansed to be acceptable outside of P&R...

Board?

:D

Tned
06-21-2010, 10:02 PM
Board?

:D

That would be it.... ;)

TXBRONC
06-21-2010, 10:21 PM

Hey if you're lucky we'll let you sit at cybernet camp fire and toast virtual marshmallows.

LordTrychon
06-21-2010, 10:22 PM
Hey if you're lucky we'll let you sit at cybernet camp fire and toast virtual marshmallows.

*sniff*

With...

smores?!

TXBRONC
06-21-2010, 10:24 PM
*sniff*

With...

smores?!

Yeah we have those would you like one?

Oh damn we just ran out sorry. :tsk: :D